View Full Version : SLC Predictions - Week Five

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 08:47 AM
TT's Predictions
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 21-8 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 107-44 (33-22 SLC)

Texas State - San Marcos @ Southern Utah - As much as I would like to go with the Bobcats in this one, a trip to Cedar City, Utah spells trouble in my book and SUU always seems to cause problems for the 'Cats. Last 3 of 4 in the series to SUU and the Bobcats are 0-4 in Cedar City as well. Sorry guys, please give me a loss! SOUTHERN UTAH

St. Josephs (IN) @ Sam Houston State - First, let me thank Prairie View A&M for pulling out on us in February or March, leaving us with a non-Div I team. Send the check! That's the last of this and we'll end it with a stomping! SAM HOUSTON STATE

Missouri S&T @ Central Arkansas - That's Missouri-Rolla for those wondering (or what used to be). They'll need to come up with whatever "science and technology" they can if they want to beat the Bears. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

BobcatTXST04
September 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM
It pains me to agree with that first prediction, Terror.

While SUU's only win so far was over a D-II team, we were just not that impressive this week on the field. If we play like we did against TSU, SUU will have another W while we are sent scrambling to figure out what happened.

as for the second two - if either you guys or UCA lose, can we start a petition to remove you guys from the SLC? ;)

NSUDemon98
September 27th, 2009, 11:45 AM
TT's Predictions
2009 Record: 21-8 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 107-44 (33-22 SLC)

Texas State - San Marcos @ Southern Utah - As much as I would like to go with the Bobcats in this one, a trip to Cedar City, Utah spells trouble in my book and SUU always seems to cause problems for the 'Cats. Last 3 of 4 in the series to SUU and the Bobcats are 0-4 in Cedar City as well. Sorry guys, please give me a loss! SOUTHERN UTAH

St. Josephs (IN) @ Sam Houston State - First, let me thank Prairie View A&M for pulling out on us in February or March, leaving us with a non-Div I team. Send the check! That's the last of this and we'll end it with a stomping! SAM HOUSTON STATE

Missouri S&T @ Central Arkansas - That's Missouri-Rolla for those wondering (or what used to be). They'll need to come up with whatever "science and technology" they can if they want to beat the Bears. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

TxSt over SUU
SHSU over St. Josephs
UCA over Mizzou S&T
BYE U. over NSU - NSU starts SLC play 0-5 after another disappointing loss to BYE U.

bobcathusband
September 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I'll not pick the SHSU and UCA games

SUU vs. Tx St.
Tx St. will need all hands on deck to beat SUU at their place. Hopefully we get all of our backs and receivers healthy for this one. If we get healthy Karrington Bush back I"ll say Bobcats 42-35. We hold a few key players out for injuries and keep making mental mistakes...T-birds 42-28.

TXST TLG8
September 27th, 2009, 01:09 PM
If Karrington Bush is healthy then we will win by 2 touchdowns, if he is not then it will be a good game. Stop underestimating this Bobcat team, anybody that watched them play in person at TCU knows what they are capable of...

Dallas Demon
September 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
TxSt over SUU
SHSU over St. Josephs
UCA over Mizzou S&T
BYE U. over NSU - NSU starts SLC play 0-5 after another disappointing loss to BYE U.

I agree with these picks, but I think the Demons will come out with a hard-fought tie with BYE U. to get some momentum going into the first week of conference play.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM
If Karrington Bush is healthy then we will win by 2 touchdowns, if he is not then it will be a good game. Stop underestimating this Bobcat team, anybody that watched them play in person at TCU knows what they are capable of...

I do not want to underestimate TXST...but the facts remain on why SUU is the favorite going into this game. I'm sure most TXST fans would agree with the track record here...

But, you do bring up another reason that I feel that SUU will win. I have a feeling that KB will be held out unless he is 100%.

Canady is a good running back and they would not want to risk KB with conference play yet to start. A setback would be devastating for the Bobcats chances to win a league title and/or contend for the playoffs.

Hoping for a Bobcat fan, but when it comes to picks - it's about being a realist, even with my Kats!

txstatebobcat
September 27th, 2009, 05:18 PM
TxSt over SUU - TxSt will be the 2nd best offense (best is arguably Utah St) and second best defense (best is San Diego St) that the thunderbirds have seen so far this year. on paper at least this should mean an easy TxSt victory, reality is probably a hard fought game, TxSt wins by a touchdown.

SHSU over St. Josephs - If SHSU loses, the kats head coach should be fired the next day.
UCA over Mizzou S&T - Same with UCA.

McNeese75
September 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
TxSt - SUU - Going out on a limb here and say the Cats will change their luck in UT.
SHSU - St. Josephs
UCA - Missouri State

all the others will whip Open this week.

16 - 10 YTD xsmhx
6-1 Week 1
2-3 Week 2
3-3 Week 3
5-3 Week 4

GeauxLions94
September 27th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Texas State @ Southern Utah - Even on a long trip, Cats' like Birds. TEXAS STATE

St. Josephs (IN) @ Sam Houston State - Keep it simple prediction 1 - SAM HOUSTON STATE

Missouri S&T @ Central Arkansas - Keep it simple prediction 2 - CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Last week: 6-2 (lost Southeastern Louisiana and McNeese State)
2009: 22-7

McNeese75
September 28th, 2009, 12:20 AM

Don't be surprised if the Cats have to fight for their life to get a W over SUU. It is a quirky place to play and the altitude does not help. McNeese has had more success up there than in our own house against the T-birds.

msusig
September 28th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Sam Houston, Texas State, and Central Arkansas should all win this week.

SM_Bobcat
September 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Texas State over Southern Utah - Southern Utah has a very good offense, but there defense has been destroyed so far this year. They have given up offensive efforts of 604, 554, 436 yards to the 3 Non D2 schools that they have played. For the year QB's have completed 67% of their passes against them, and having given up an average of 5.1 yards per carry. Even against Dixie State, they gave up 2.8 yards per carry with that being by far the best that Dixie State has put up on the ground to date. Dixie State has averaged 1.8 yards per carry the other 4 games against Division 2 opponents. While Texas States defense is still not great, it is greatly improved over last years D, and has given up very respectable numbers till the end of the game when the game is out of hand. Unless Southern Utah fixes their issues on defense, they will be in for a long day.

No need even picking the UCA and Sam Houston State games, they are against D2 schools.

BEAR
September 28th, 2009, 03:18 PM
TxSt over SUU
SHSU over St. Josephs
UCA over Mizzou S&T

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 30th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I'm goin in 22-7 for the year...

Texas State @ Southern Utah - High scoring affair. For once I can say this--Texas State has the better defense and better offense (when we take care of the ball). Plus, KB may be back!!! And Mishak!!!! BOBCATS 45 THUNDERBIRDS 28

St. Josephs (IN) @ Sam Houston State - Personally I'm glad this game is finally being played so we can quit hearing Terror whine and complain about having to play the PUMAS. Hopefully the players don't take his same approach or else it may be closer than the experts think! SHSU 42 St. Joe's 35

Missouri S&T @ Central Arkansas - Ummmm....bears. By alot. UCA 52 MIZZOU S&T 0

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2009, 07:28 PM
St. Josephs (IN) @ Sam Houston State - Personally I'm glad this game is finally being played so we can quit hearing Terror whine and complain about having to play the PUMAS. Hopefully the players don't take his same approach or else it may be closer than the experts think! SHSU 42 St. Joe's 35

Me complain? I've been defending the reason we are playing them!

On KatFans - the "bumpkins" have ignored the true reasoning for our playing them. We can thank the SWAC and Prairie View A&M.

txst80
September 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Me complain? I've been defending the reason we are playing them!

On KatFans - the "bumpkins" have ignored the true reasoning for our playing them. We can thank the SWAC and Prairie View A&M.

You are complaining right now. Maybe you haven't been complaining about the team you are playing, but you have been complaining about Prairie View backing out for a long time.

TexasTerror
October 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM
You are complaining right now. Maybe you haven't been complaining about the team you are playing, but you have been complaining about Prairie View backing out for a long time.

Because there is a proper way to handle your business and Prairie View A&M did not. The SLC has a whole has continually been burned by SWAC schools, across several sports, that have not been willing to fulfill their contracts. It seems to be increasingly more and more difficult to obtain the buyout money from the SWAC schools...

We're waiting on a Texas Southern payout on a men's basketball contract they failed to return the home game to Huntsville on. And now we're waiting for PV to make good...

I wish we'd just drop the SWAC in the major sports. It's not like they do anything for football, baseball, basketball, volleyball or softball instead of provide wins and hurt RPI. Soccer is a little closer of a competition, but then again - the RPI is not there either.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 1st, 2009, 11:25 AM
Because there is a proper way to handle your business and Prairie View A&M did not. The SLC has a whole has continually been burned by SWAC schools, across several sports, that have not been willing to fulfill their contracts. It seems to be increasingly more and more difficult to obtain the buyout money from the SWAC schools...

We're waiting on a Texas Southern payout on a men's basketball contract they failed to return the home game to Huntsville on. And now we're waiting for PV to make good...

I wish we'd just drop the SWAC in the major sports. It's not like they do anything for football, baseball, basketball, volleyball or softball instead of provide wins and hurt RPI. Soccer is a little closer of a competition, but then again - the RPI is not there either.

I'd say it depends on the school. Looks like you guys just have had bad luck dealing with them. Texas Southern has been EXTREMELY generous to us allowing all of our games to be played in San Marcos. I'm sure Bobcat fans would have had no problems coming to Houston for home/home (it would be fun and allow our Houston alums to get a game in their city). Not sure why the contract was written the way it was or how Texas Southern fans must feel about it (I'd imagine they have to be a little upset). But yes, I would say our dealings with the SWAC have been positive; other side of the coin, they must/may think we're being unfair (which I definitely can see).

TexasTerror
October 1st, 2009, 01:41 PM
I'd say it depends on the school. Looks like you guys just have had bad luck dealing with them. Texas Southern has been EXTREMELY generous to us allowing all of our games to be played in San Marcos.

Difference.

Prairie View A&M was a home-and-home. SHSU felt that it'd be great to target the Waller Co. area and we weren't having to dull our a guarantee, plus low travel expenses.

Texas Southern was getting upwards of $50-60k to come take their tail-whipping. That's 50% times higher than the going rate for beating a sub-Div I foe.

Not sure why the contract was written the way it was or how Texas Southern fans must feel about it (I'd imagine they have to be a little upset). But yes, I would say our dealings with the SWAC have been positive; other side of the coin, they must/may think we're being unfair (which I definitely can see).

Texas Southern was getting paid...and again, as I said above - much different. TSU burned us on a basketball home-and-home and PV did so on a football home-and-home. If we were paying them outright to come get their whipping, they wouldn't back out, because the penalty would be pretty high.

BEAR
October 1st, 2009, 02:06 PM
Let's keep this thread on topic. xcoffeex

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
bump?

El Gato
October 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
Texas State @ Southern Utah- Texas State by 17. I can't buy that history argument as a solid argument. I mean that is why they use the expression, "It's all history" because it is on the past and we are living in the present where the slate has been wiped clean. Also, going by the fact that last years game was a complete flop by the Cats before making an effort to actually play football, shows that t was not a complete domination by SUU last year. I fully expect the Cats to show up and be ready to play some football, and if that is the case, then the better team will win, and that is IMO the Bobcats.

Div II St. Joseph's (IN) @ Sam Houston State-- SHSU by 24.

Div II Missouri S&T @ Central Arkansas--UCA by 27. Interesting tidbit: Missouri State did lose a game to SHSU's opponent 44-41 earlier in the year.

Week 1: 7-1
Week 2: 4-2
Week 3: 6-1
Week 4: 7-1

Overall: 24-5

BEAR
October 3rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
TxSt over SUU
SHSU over St. Josephs
UCA over Mizzou S&T

2 - 1 this week. Booooo! Cats! xlolx

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 3rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
2-1 as well.

and ditto--Boooo cats!

McNeese75
October 4th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Don't be surprised if the Cats have to fight for their life to get a W over SUU. It is a quirky place to play and the altitude does not help. McNeese has had more success up there than in our own house against the T-birds.

xrolleyesx I tried to tell ya xcoolx

And I went 2-1 as well

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2009, 06:52 AM
3-0! :)

TT's Predictions
2009 Record: 24-8 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 110-44 (33-22 SLC)