PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Piney Woods at Reliant Stadium?

slycat
September 27th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Rumor has it that Sam Houston will play SFA at Reliant Stadium in Houston next season. Add this with a possible doubleheader including a Texas State game.

What do you think? How many seats would be filled?

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Rumor has it that Sam Houston will play SFA at Reliant Stadium in Houston next season. Add this with a possible doubleheader including a Texas State game.

Why would we do this...? I just do not think it makes sense, unless there's a promoter out there that's giving both teams some money.

An SLC doubleheader would be neat. With the game in October, I'd guess that TXST would be playing a SLC foe. Which SLC team would draw to Houston? McNeese?

slycat
September 27th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Why would we do this...? I just do not think it makes sense, unless there's a promoter out there that's giving both teams some money.

An SLC doubleheader would be neat. With the game in October, I'd guess that TXST would be playing a SLC foe. Which SLC team would draw to Houston? McNeese?

I think McNeese since Lamar is not on Texas Sts schedule.

From what I hear this is a SHSU alums pet project.

txstatebobcat
September 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Well I would definitely make the 3 hr drive to Houston. As far as TxSt is concerned I know Houston Alumni would love a game in their neck of the woods.

The double header would be interesting as well. 20-25,000 for SHSU vs SFA and around the same for a TxSt vs McNeese St matchup would be my guess. Maybe more depending on how well the matchups would be covered in the Houston paper.

3rd Coast Tiger
September 27th, 2009, 12:59 PM
The OOOOOOOLE' "CLASSIC" scenario.

An alum/promoter steps in and buys the games from the university. If this is the case and the home universities submit; sounds like a page is taken out of the SWAC, MEAC, CIAA and SIAC playbook.

Gotta love "sign of the times"!
xthumbsupx

3rd Coast Tiger
September 30th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Several Houston area high schools are taking advantage of Reliant Stadium with double headers so why not colleges? xsmiley_wix

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I'd rather see SHSU play a Prairie View A&M in a neutral site game at the Berry Center. Both schools are increasing enrollment dramatically in that neck of the city...

Unless there's no cost to the SLC schools in playing at Reliant Stadium and a promoter handles the brunt of the cost, have at it.

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Big announcement forthcoming in Houston, Texas next week. I believe one of our SWAC friends were the first to break this story a few weeks ago and quite frankly, I had a hard time believing it.

Have to figure that both schools received a nice financial package here. Would our SFA contributors say that the school's biggest alum/fan base is in the Houston area?

The annual "Battle of the Piney Woods" is headed for the big city.

Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston and the Houston Texans have mutually agreed for the annual SFA-Sam Houston football rivalry to be played at Reliant Stadium in Houston, starting next season.

SFA president Dr. Baker Pattillo told the school's board of regents about the agreement Monday.

A press conference will be held with SFA, Sam Houston and Texans officials Tuesday at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

http://www.dailysentinel.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2009/10/14/sfasamhoustonreliant.html

3rd Coast Tiger
October 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Why was that other thread created when this one has already been established? xconfusedx

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Why was that other thread created when this one has already been established? xconfusedx

Couldn't remember where this one was! Was not sure if it was brought up in a non-SHSU/SFA related subject or not. xoopsx

And let me credit slycat appropriately - he was the one who heard this first, about 3 weeks ago. Great job!

appfan2008
October 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM
why play in such a cavernous facility...? if you can get a decent crowd 40k plus great... but i doubt that will happen and it will just look empty

BearsCountry
October 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Its a heck of a recruiting tool plus alumni attraction. The two big D2 powers in our area (Northwest Missouri & Pitt State) play a game at Arrowhead which is even bigger than Reliant Stadium. Their fans, alums, players love it. It attracts a ton of attention in which they normally wouldn't get. Also these games aren't normally on tv so the crowd looking empty doesn't matter. If Wichita State got football I hope our series with them got moved to Kansas City.

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2009, 10:21 AM
why play in such a cavernous facility...? if you can get a decent crowd 40k plus great... but i doubt that will happen and it will just look empty

Some thoughts...

1) The Texans promotions arm is involved and this means pub for the Kats/Jacks during Texans games and around Reliant Stadium. That sure as heck won't hurt!

2) The Texans/Reliant Stadium had to 'buy' this game away from the schools. Both schools typically do well for attendance when the games are at their stadium, compared to most contests. If both schools will be making money each year (not just when they would be the home team) and are making more when they are the home team - can't complain. Finances drive the market!

3) Both schools have large alum bases in the Houston area. Parking prices at the stadium will stink, but got to figure they'll put 15-20k at the game (that's the avg for TSU-PVA&M as of late, it seems). That's more than they would've gotten at any venue.

unicat87
October 17th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Its a heck of a recruiting tool plus alumni attraction. The two big D2 powers in our area (Northwest Missouri & Pitt State) play a game at Arrowhead which is even bigger than Reliant Stadium. Their fans, alums, players love it. It attracts a ton of attention in which they normally wouldn't get. Also these games aren't normally on tv so the crowd looking empty doesn't matter. If Wichita State got football I hope our series with them got moved to Kansas City.

That would be awesome if Wichita State had football again. -unicat87 :)

slycat
October 17th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Probably the only good rumor I'll ever have.

Sly Fox
October 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM
So this will be a Lone Star Entertainment deal, huh? Interesting to see them to get involved with the Southland.

Those of you mocking the concept are kidding yourself if you don't think your players and fans wouldn't love to play a game in top notch NFL stadium. If they are able to draw 20k (which would still be a challenge) then the game atmosphere would be just fine. The TSU-PVU matchup generally has a cool atmosphere until halftime ends and everyone heads home.

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM
So this will be a Lone Star Entertainment deal, huh? Interesting to see them to get involved with the Southland.

That is the belief - can not imagine them not involved. I've gotten a few details, but waiting for the presser on Tuesday before it all becomes known.

Those of you mocking the concept are kidding yourself if you don't think your players and fans wouldn't love to play a game in top notch NFL stadium. If they are able to draw 20k (which would still be a challenge) then the game atmosphere would be just fine. The TSU-PVU matchup generally has a cool atmosphere until halftime ends and everyone heads home.

No question and unlike the Labor Day Classic, SHSU and SFA fans will stick around to the end of the game. The games have been fun, even though it has slanted SHSU's way. The ball needs to get rolling, so they can sell as many tickets as possible. Both schools will have to market it well on campus and to their alum bases. Hopefully it's relatively affordable.

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM
FYI...

SFA will be having a live chat at http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/2009_blog.html where questions will be answered and information will be shared regarding tomorrow's big announcement from Houston.

A live video feed will also be available on http://www.sfajacks.cstv.com

When SHSU posts any information pertaining to the event, I'll post here. Also, if anyone comes across any more articles - please share.

Sly Fox
October 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Here is the press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Monday, October 19, 2009

RELIANT STADIUM TO HOST HISTORIC

COLLEGE FOOTBALL RIVALRY GAME IN 2010

Matchup to be announced Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.

HOUSTON – Lone Star Sports & Entertainment (LSSE) will hold a news conference on Tuesday, October 20 at 1:30 p.m. CT to announce the move of one of the oldest college football rivalries in Texas to Reliant Stadium in 2010.

The news conference will take place in the Texans Team Auditorium inside Reliant Stadium. Both schools’ athletic directors and head coaches will be in attendance, as well as representatives from Lone Star Sports & Entertainment.

WHAT: News conference to announce college football rivalry at Reliant Stadium in 2010

WHEN: Tuesday, October 20, 1:30 p.m. CT

WHERE: Reliant Stadium, Texans Team Auditorium

WHO: School athletic directors; Lone Star Sports & Entertainment executives

Congrats to the Sam & SFA fans.

McTailGator
October 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM

If SFA and SAm play, there will be about 8,000 people there.

If they add TxSU, another 1000 will show up.

If they add McNeese to the other 3, then there will be 18,000 to 20,000 there.

McNeese fans travel very well 3 hours or less. And we have MANY Houston based Alumni, such as myself.

McTailGator
October 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM

I would think that McNeese would bring about 6,000 to Houston, closer to 8,000 if it was part of a Double header.

But NO WAY would McNeese EVER give up a Home game for this, unless some BIG bucks are offered.

We will make it a part of a normal away game for free how ever.

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks for posting the press release Sly Fox! Any additional information you come across would be great - seems like a good effort is being made to bring attention to this contest...

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Hopefully better coverage after the presser...

The "Battle of the Piney Woods" is coming to Reliant Stadium.

Southland Conference rivals Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin have agreed to move their game to Reliant in 2010, two people with knowledge of the situation said Monday.

A formal announcement will be made Tuesday.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/6675424.html

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2009, 10:41 AM
SHSU is streaming the presser live with video on demand to follow...

Info: http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204817035

McNeese75
October 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Depending on how SFA ends up this year and if SHSU manages to gather the troops it could be a decent draw next year as it will be Moses' Sr year.

Sly Fox
October 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
I would almost be surprised if this didn't turn into a doubleheader.

txstatebobcat
October 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM
Anyone know what is the SLC schedule for this date?

nwFL Griz
October 21st, 2009, 07:04 PM
Anyone know what is the SLC schedule for this date?

It seems the current version of the SLC schedule that I have seen is thrown off by this. But, UCA is showing @Nicholls on that date. Lamar has a bye...the rest is a guess at this point.