PDA

View Full Version : To any of the doubters. WM is for real.

CAAisBOSS
September 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Devlin had 302 yards but most came in 2min drill. WM held them to -2 yards rusheing. 30-20 doesnt tell the score. Cant wait for next week!

bullseye44
September 27th, 2009, 12:14 AM
We looked good, but we've got to play 60 minutes next week. We can't get away with giving up TDs late in the 2nd and 4th quarters against the CAA's best teams. Jimmye is on a roll with halftime adjustments, but the players have to work on maintaining their focus until the final gun.

T-Dog
September 27th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I don't think there have been any "doubters". It's been a consensus that W&M will contest for the CAA South alongside Richmond, Nova and maybe JMU (sorry Delaware, doesn't look like your year)

CopperCat
September 27th, 2009, 12:56 AM
W&M moved up to #3 in my poll, thought about putting them at #2 but UNI was already there. Beating a team like Deleware will always help your cause.

PantherRob82
September 27th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I don't think there have been any "doubters". It's been a consensus that W&M will contest for the CAA South alongside Richmond, Nova and maybe JMU (sorry Delaware, doesn't look like your year)

Who are the doubters?

ebirToG
September 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Who are the doubters?

Seriously? They where picked 5th out of 6 teams in the CAA south at the beginning of the year. I know the CAA south is strong this year but that still equates to a lot of doubters.

UNIFanSince1983
September 27th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Who picked them 5th outta 6? If it was the coaches or media for your conference then you should be talking to them. I definitely think nobody has been doubting you since you took Virginia to the shed. Just so ya know. It will still be tough playing in the CAA south, but I think W&M will actually take the CAA this year. Just my perspective.

Uncle Buck
September 27th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Seriously? They where picked 5th out of 6 teams in the CAA south at the beginning of the year. I know the CAA south is strong this year but that still equates to a lot of doubters.

With the CAA South consisting of Nova, JMU, Richmond, and UD, i thinking a top five of you and any of those teams was interchangeable. With the exception of UD at this point IMO, i still think it's wide open for any of the other teams i mentioned.

No doubters, just a stacked group in the south. A lot of football to be played before you crown yourself champions though.

soccerguy315
September 27th, 2009, 02:25 PM
W&M needs to stop giving up points late in the half. Delaware drove down the field at the end of the 2nd quarter with no trouble at all.

And W&M needs to figure it out with their special teams. Not going to be able to give away those points (bad snaps, missed FGs) against JMU, UR, UNH, and Nova.

GATA
September 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Well considering W&M was nothing special last year, they were picked exactly where you would expect.

I'm not so sure all the doubters didn't disappear when you guys embarrassed Virginia though...that pretty much ended any doubt I would have had.

Nobody expected the Citadel to be any good in the SOCON this year either, but had they beaten UNC in their opener, I can guarantee the doubters would have disappeared.

WrenFGun
September 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
W&M should have been voted third, which, not surprisingly, is exactly where they are. They returned more than JMU and were much better than UD last year without losing much...

tandemlax
September 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Though the secondary did get beat deep twice, and gave a fair amount of cushion to the Delaware receivers, I was really impressed with the db's tackling. Facing a passing game predicated on short throws, they did well making open field hits and minimizing yardage after the catch. Tackling has been something of a weakness for WM's defense the last few years so last night's effort was encouraging. Looking forward to next week- 'Nova should prove a true test for the Tribe offense.

tribe_pride
September 27th, 2009, 04:08 PM
W&M should have been voted third, which, not surprisingly, is exactly where they are. They returned more than JMU and were much better than UD last year without losing much...

Aren't they in a tie for 1st (or really tie for 2nd since Richmond is 2-0 in the conference as opposed to the Tribe's 1-0)?

JMU DUUUKES LAW
September 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Ha i love how its "maybe jmu" when our only loss is an OT loss to Maryland. Richmond almost lost to VMI. I think the 3 of us are at least on equal footing, leave out bias

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 27th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Ha i love how its "maybe jmu" when our only loss is an OT loss to Maryland. Richmond almost lost to VMI. I think the 3 of us are at least on equal footing, leave our some bias please.

You too. We kneed on the ball inside VMI's 10 yard line to end the game.

We didn't blow out VMI ... but to say we 'almost lost' is also biased.

How have the Terps done since your trip up there?

JMU DUUUKES LAW
September 27th, 2009, 04:22 PM
You too. We kneed on the ball inside VMI's 10 yard line to end the game.

We didn't blow out VMI ... but to say we 'almost lost' is also biased.

How have the Terps done since your trip up there?

Good argument, i forgot that we are supposed to beat all the ACC teams we play: Maryland is not Duke.

And playing VMI down to the wire still makes my point. Do they give points for kneeling the ball on the 10? I forgot those were automatic TDs.

BUT, in all fairness, WM is looking better than both (thus far)

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 27th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Good argument, i forgot that we are supposed to beat all the ACC teams we play: Maryland is not Duke.

And playing VMI down to the wire still makes my point. Do they give points for kneeling the ball on the 10? I forgot those were automatic TDs.

BUT, in all fairness, WM is looking better than both (thus far)

Maryland wasn't Directional Tennessee State and they weren't Rutgers minus 3 touchdowns. They also weren't Cal minus 50.

How do you know they aren't Duke?

JMU DUUUKES LAW
September 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Maryland wasn't Directional Tennessee State and they weren't Rutgers minus 3 touchdowns. They also weren't Cal minus 50.

How do you know they aren't Duke?

Guess we'll find out Oct . 24 haha

Tribe4SF
September 27th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Guess we'll find out Oct . 24 haha

Actually, for the point of reference between you and Big House, you'll find out Oct. 10.:D

JMU DUUUKES LAW
September 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Actually, for the point of reference between you and Big House, you'll find out Oct. 10.:D

Yes, true. But for TRANSITIVE PROPERTY purposes, we'll know on the 24th , haha.

But ya i'm flying from Miami just to go to Richmond at JMU

Ivytalk
September 27th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I thought W&M looked sharp last night on both sides of the ball. Archer is a stud, and that Chase Hill kid was impressive! Boy, does UD need a running game!

I also had the great pleasure of meeting Tribe4SF. xnodxGreat guy, and he's actually a bit older than I am but looks 10 years younger. He played for Marv Levy and Lou Holtz at the Burg! Zabel was rockin' last night!xthumbsupxxbowx

ebirToG
September 28th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Well considering W&M was nothing special last year, they were picked exactly where you would expect.

Oh yeah I forgot how special Delaware looked last year xthumbsupx

W&M just missed the playoffs last year almost taking down Richmond in the final game of the season. I was actually surprised they were originally picked below Delaware.

Should be a good game this week. I am thinking about taking my 2 year old to his first Tribe game.

Dukie95
September 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
For me, it's one part W&M is real, and one part UD's not quite ready.

Based on that result, not much changed for me.

I-AA Fan
September 28th, 2009, 09:23 AM
They are always real in week-3 ...let's see if they are real in week-11.

tribe_pride
September 28th, 2009, 09:29 AM
They are always real in week-3 ...let's see if they are real in week-11.

Since 2002, this is only the 2nd year that W&M is not 1-3 or 2-2 after week 4 (not week 3). The other year - 2004 when the team made the Semifinals and the Tribe was 3-1 after week 4.

So you are wrong, usually in week 3, the Tribe has not been real after this week but you are right the key is whether they are real after week 11. Better start than ever though.

caribbeanhen
September 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Devlin had 302 yards but most came in 2min drill. WM held them to -2 yards rusheing. 30-20 doesnt tell the score. Cant wait for next week!

no doubt you had a dominating win, but don't get to excited about holding us to -2 yards, we couldnt fun the ball against WCU....I still cant figure why your hometown boy Thaxton is not starting for Delaware

89Hen
September 28th, 2009, 09:56 AM
You may want to reserve judgement until you've played UR, JMU and VU. You could still finish 4th. xpeacex

bullseye44
September 28th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I thought W&M looked sharp last night on both sides of the ball. Archer is a stud, and that Chase Hill kid was impressive! Boy, does UD need a running game!

I also had the great pleasure of meeting Tribe4SF. xnodxGreat guy, and he's actually a bit older than I am but looks 10 years younger. He played for Marv Levy and Lou Holtz at the Burg! Zabel was rockin' last night!xthumbsupxxbowx

Marv Levy was actually at the game - I walked right by him going through the gate and did a double take. Nice to see him in town.

As far as UD, they'd be a good team if they had an offensive line to speak of whatsoever. Hard to tell how good we were from a run D perspective, because their o-line was just terribly overmatched.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2009, 10:29 AM
You may want to reserve judgement until you've played UR, JMU and VU. You could still finish 4th. xpeacex

And still deserve a playoff bid at 8-3 with wins over UVa and UNH. xnodx :D

Anybody want to be in the discussion among the playoff committee if W&M is 7-4 with a win over UVa and close losses to UR, JMU, VU and UNH? Other than record, explain how a second place 10-1 Colgate/Holy Cross, a second place 9-2 FAMU/SC State, a 9-2 Liberty, etc. are more deserving. An 8-3 (all D-I wins) SoCon, Big Sky, CAA or MVFC team probably gets the nod over W&M. Would you like to be a 8-3 SIU with seven D-I wins (losses to Marshall, UNI and SDSU) in the committee's discussion? Both would have seven D-I wins, but would SIU have a win to match W&M over UVa?

aceinthehole
September 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM
And still deserve a playoff bid at 8-3 with wins over UVa and UNH. xnodx :D

Anybody want to be in the discussion among the playoff committee if W&M is 7-4 with a win over UVa and close losses to UR, JMU, VU and UNH? Other than record, explain how a second place 10-1 Colgate/Holy Cross, a second place 9-2 FAMU/SC State, a 9-2 Liberty, etc. are more deserving. An 8-3 (all D-I wins) SoCon, Big Sky, CAA or MVFC team probably gets the nod over W&M. Would you like to be a 8-3 SIU with seven D-I wins (losses to Marshall, UNI and SDSU) in the committee's discussion? Both would have seven D-I wins, but would SIU have a win to match W&M over UVa?

Good point UNH_Alum. Its too early, but if we're going to speculate about bids already, lets talk about a 7-4 CAA South team vs. the field.

At 8-3, any team out of the CAA South deserves the at-large - no questions asked. It does get dicey when you compare a 7-4 team (despite their SOS) vs a 10-1 team.

Dukie95
September 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Good point UNH_Alum. Its too early, but if we're going to speculate about bids already, lets talk about a 7-4 CAA South team vs. the field.

At 8-3, any team out of the CAA South deserves the at-large - no questions asked. It does get dicey when you compare a 7-4 team (despite their SOS) vs a 10-1 team.

What if the 7-4 team is JMU and the 9-2 team is Liberty?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Should be JMU, but I've seen the committee select an 8-3 Villanova over an 8-3 UNH despite UNH thumping Nova 34-0 just three weeks earlier in 1996. xwhistlex

89Hen
September 28th, 2009, 11:24 AM
You mean 8-2 Liberty. West Virginia Wesleyan game is thrown out by the committee.

GannonFan
September 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Should be JMU, but I've seen the committee select an 8-3 Villanova over an 8-3 UNH despite UNH thumping Nova 34-0 just three weeks earlier in 1996. xwhistlex

Not to mention that the UD team in '96 also made the playoffs that year despite losing 27-0 to the same nova team that lost 34-0 to UNH. xeyebrowxxwhistlex

Apparently they gave a lot of credit to both nova and UD that year for losing to I-A teams. xwhistlex