PDA

View Full Version : VMI @ Richmond

elcid83
September 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Did Richmond's QB really need a record-setting day to beat VMI? I'd love to hear from someone who was there. Is VMI that good?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

mcveyrl
September 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I said before that I think VMI sold out to the run against us and Richmond. We had 330 some yards passing too.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 26th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Concur with Mcvey. Richmond -3 turnover margin today had alot to do with the result.

Credit VMI. They are vastly improved.

mcveyrl
September 26th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Credit VMI. They are vastly improved.

This is also the case. I was impressed with what I saw last week.

Eight Legger
September 26th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Ward had a field day passing, but our turnovers and a few BIG gainers by VMI kept the score close. We took a knee at the 10 yard line at the end, so we would have won b 17, which was basically the average spread for a lot of the game. VMI was overmatched in the secondary all day long, but its offense had some interesting wrinkles.

Admittedly, they played better than I expected, and our defense played a little worse than expected and failed to create any turnovers, which is usually a big key to our wins.

Saint3333
September 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Sparky Woods is a solid coach.

spdram
September 26th, 2009, 08:48 PM
VMI is a much improved team, we put the ball on the ground early in the game giving them a score but even when we came bak and took the lead they never gave up. The Keydets will surprise some people this season.

VMI deserves every bit of credit for their effort and their fans showed their appreciation after the game with a well deserved standing O. Hats off to the Keydets and their fans. Glad to see you back!

Will say the Spiders were deprived of a legit opportunity to score at the end of first half. We were working the ball down the field getting out of bounds to stop the clock (out of TO's). With about 26 secs we run a play out of bounds, ref winds the clock saying forward motion was stopped before got out of bounds? HUH? Coach was livid, before we realized what had happened the clock had almost run out and we had to rush play untimately missing a FG attempt. BTW the ref told Coach London on the sideline at the start of the second half they had blown the call and should have stopped the clock for the OOB. Cannot say we would have scored but certainly would have had a better chance. Then as said above driving at end of game and went to victory play rather than take a shot at end zone.

Hats off to VMI, they did a great job today!

kdinva
September 26th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Eric Ward is an excellent QB and passer (new news, huh;)), Kevin Grayson will be playing on Sundays. Kyle Hughes played his A__ off at QB: today he proved he can run the option offense. Yes: VMI's secondary needs work, and a group like Ward, Grayson, Boston, Grey, et al will burn a defense. Today UR's defense clamped down on Maypray (except for his TD catch) and the VMI fullbacks. VMI will grow from this as they head into Conference play.

Again, UR's stat folks grossly understated the attendance. 7.600? there were 11,000 people in the facility, I swear on my Dad's grave. VMI had about 5,000 themselves.

GreatAppSt
September 26th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Elon fan Murks making dirty cheap posts about GSU win.:D

CID1990
September 26th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Sparky Woods is a solid coach.

Except he sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat.... no...no...no!...NOOOOOO! The Citadeeeeeel!!!! AAUUUUGGHHHH!

BDKJMU
September 27th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I said before that I think VMI sold out to the run against us and Richmond. We had 330 some yards passing too.

JMU passed for 341 against VMI. FWIW MM said they were better than past VMI teams (MM coached JMU teams beat VMI in 04', 06', 07', 09'). I saw JMU beat VMI in all but 06', and VMI defintely looked better, so I defintely echo what others have said about VMI being much improved.