PDA

View Full Version : JMU vs Liberty - Will the weather be a factor?

JMUOlejer
September 25th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Looks like a 90% chance of rain in Lynchburg for the entire game. How do you see this affecting both teams? Discuss.

Dukie95
September 25th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Weather tends to have more effect on the post-game excuses than it does the actual game.

mcveyrl
September 25th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Weather tends to have more effect on the post-game excuses than it does the actual game.

While you're normally right, I think heavy rain favors the best defense and best special teams game. I think (hope) we've got the best defense tomorrow. Special teams? Ehhhh, not so much. Either way I still think that at least 80% of the time the best team wins the game.

Regardless, I will be worried about a lot of rain.

JMU Newbill
September 25th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Our kicker sucks in good weather, so lord knows what tomorrow will bring.

That being said, rain also tends to favor a run heavy game. We have been passing a lot lately, so we may see a significant drop off in that this week. Our offensive line is going to have to win this game for us. I still like our chances, but I certainly think weather will slow the game down and tend to keep things close, making it anyone's game if too many mistakes are made.

g-webb1994
September 25th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Receivers have a distinct advantage in rainy, sloppy conditions....they know where they are going, the defender has to react....the defender is more likely to lose footing.

It always boggles my feeble mind whenever teams in rain completely abandon their passing games....

JMU Newbill
September 25th, 2009, 11:40 AM
a wet ball is harder to throw than a dry one

ToTheLeft
September 25th, 2009, 01:03 PM
We have field turf, not grass, so it won't be "sloppy", just a little slick. I think the main issue will be ball control. Will a wet football be handled well with the option style/motion handoffs that either team will try to run?

JMU_71
September 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
We need to pass more.

Madisonian
September 25th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Is this a trick question? I am guessing there is somewhere in the neighborhood of a 90% chance that weather will be a factor. xsmiley_wix

LUFan
September 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Steady rain coming down in Lynchburg now, hopefully it will stop in the next 4 hours...

MaximumBobcat
September 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM
a wet ball is harder to throw than a dry one

not to mention that when there is rain there is normally strong winds also.

SuperJon
September 26th, 2009, 02:04 PM
It's straight up pouring right now. Weather.com says there's a 100% chance of thunderstorms from 7pm to 9pm and at least an 80% chance of rain until 1am.

JMU Newbill
September 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM
It's straight up pouring right now. Weather.com says there's a 100% chance of thunderstorms from 7pm to 9pm and at least an 80% chance of rain until 1am.

Atleast the weather people are smart enough to give it a 100% chance of rain while its raining, haha.

Don't you wish that you could only be right like 1/2 the time at your job?

JMU Newbill
September 26th, 2009, 02:54 PM

And thanks for the update!