PDA

View Full Version : Week 4 Questions..

KAUMASS
September 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hey all,

Not that many questions this week. I think most of us feel what our teams have /don't have after 3 weeks. Feel free to add and discuss..

1. Where did all the App State threads go this year? App. Nation is silent...
Shock/disbelief?

2. How many people will whine about their ranking when the GPI comes out?

3. Why does everyone pick against San Jose State when they play FCS?
SJS never loses to a FCS school, regardless of their record.

4. Georgia Southern/Elon-big game for the SoCon..Pick'm & why

5. Delaware/W&M-Should we get Micheal Buffer to coinflip and announce
"Let's get rrrrrrrrrrrrready to rumble?

6. Can we call Sat, Oct 10 Black Saturday for the CAA?
Full slot of league games...UMass/Delaware Richmond/JMU 'nova/UNH
Maine/Hofstra W&M/Northeastern Towson/URI

7. Who is your darkhorse ranked outside the top 10 right now that may may
make a playoff run?.. I'm a watchin' Central Arkansas..

8. MEAC appears a little stronger this year?

9. Montana will win on the road against Northern Arizona, but will they struggle
for this win? (UM historically struggles on the road)

10. Any freak upset predictions this week? mine is Georgia Southern over
Elon and UTC over Wofford. Just a hunch..

11. Per Request of SumItUP....How will the Big South fare against the CAA this weekend?
JMU/Liberty & UMass/Stonybrook

SumItUp
September 24th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Not even a mention of the Dukes matchup with Liberty? Surely you could have come up with something for your list. xrolleyesx :D

MCFAN
September 24th, 2009, 02:02 PM
UCA is still transitioning and not playoff eligible.

danefan
September 24th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Shock/disbelief? - Its time to get PUMPED! (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64002)

2. How many people will whine about their ranking when the GPI comes out? A lot. Even more will whine when there's 10 CAA teams and 2 Ivy's in the top 25.

SJS never loses to a FCS school, regardless of their record. No clue.

4. Georgia Southern/Elon-big game for the SoCon..Pick'm & why Going GSU, because Albany needs thm to win. Valentine needs a huge day.

"Let's get rrrrrrrrrrrrready to rumble? Going with Delaware.

Maine/Hofstra W&M/Northeastern Towson/URI We should call it the Opening Round of the 2009 FCS Playoffs.

make a playoff run?. UMass by far. Look out folks, Havens is the real deal. If UMass can get through the CAA schedule and get a bid, they'll be in the NC game. Mark it down.

8. MEAC appears a little stronger this year? Only stronger because there is two teams instead of one. FAMU and SCSU game is a play-in game too, IMO, but both teams will rep the MEAC well in the first round of the playoffs and if there has ever been a year for the MEAC to break their playoff drought, this is it.

9. Montana will win on the road against Northern Arizona, but will they struggle
for this win? (UM historically struggles on the road) Is that a question?

10. Any freak upset predictions this week? GSU over Elon and Maine over Syracuse.....xcoolx

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2009, 02:07 PM
make a playoff run?.. I'm a watchin' Central Arkansas..

7. I'd agree if they were eligible.
8. I don't know that we can say the MEAC looks stronger. IIRC correctly the biggest OOC win to date is Grambling.

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hey all,

Not that many questions this week. I think most of us feel what our teams have /don't have after 3 weeks. Feel free to add and discuss..

Shock/disbelief? Shhhhh, don't wake them up

2. How many people will whine about their ranking when the GPI comes out? I will only complain if the Hens are ranked too high. My problem with the GPI is when an entire conference is in the top 20

SJS never loses to a FCS school, regardless of their record. I picked them in the gohens pool

4. Georgia Southern/Elon-big game for the SoCon..Pick'm & why Elon, they can pass

"Let's get rrrrrrrrrrrrready to rumble? I think this game is going to be very different than a lot of people think.

Maine/Hofstra W&M/Northeastern Towson/URI too bad HU/NU don't play each other so W&M/Maine could be the other game

make a playoff run?.. I'm a watchin' Central Arkansas.. not eligible (too bad too)

8. MEAC appears a little stronger this year? Haven't won a game of consequence yet

for this win? (UM historically struggles on the road) No. UM by a comfortable margin

Elon and UTC over Wofford. Just a hunch.. Can't see any, but then again, would it be a freak upset if you predict it? :p

KAUMASS
September 24th, 2009, 02:08 PM
UCA is still transitioning and not playoff eligible.

SNAFU...Thanks...I thought they were eligible this year....seems like the've been in transition forever..

GannonFan
September 24th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Well, I won't care much where UD is ranked in the GPI, but I'll be whining about the mere existence of such a monstrosity as the GPI. Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This GPI's Gotta Go!! xnodx

CrunchGriz
September 24th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Hey all,

True against some teams, but they've had NAU's number in Flagstaff, winning by an average score of 36-17 over the last decade.

BDKJMU
September 24th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Well, I won't care much where UD is ranked in the GPI, but I'll be whining about the mere existence of such a monstrosity as the GPI. Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This GPI's Gotta Go!! xnodx

Its better than the polls by themselves.

danefan
September 24th, 2009, 03:47 PM

It is the polls.

GannonFan
September 24th, 2009, 03:48 PM

That's the thing, it isn't. It's the polls, all mashed together, and then made less than that by throwing in some questionable computer polls. And ultimately, in its core mission, that is, predicting the 16 team playoff field, it's been proven that it's not as reliable at that as even most posters on this board. But yeah, besides all that it's great! :p

CFallsGriz
September 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM

So, if you don't give a rat's ass where your team is ranked, why the hell do you care if it stays or goes?

BTW, that's a catchy little jingle you've got yourself there fella!xnutsx

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 04:09 PM
....seems like the've been in transition forever..
I agree with that and I'm sure all the UCA fans DEFINITELY agree too.

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I disagree. Look at the computer rankings. They are absolutely horrible.

BDKJMU
September 24th, 2009, 04:30 PM
That's the thing, it isn't. It's the polls, all mashed together, and then made less than that by throwing in some questionable computer polls. And ultimately, in its core mission, that is, predicting the 16 team playoff field, it's been proven that it's not as reliable at that as even most posters on this board. But yeah, besides all that it's great! :p

So you like the human polls because I assume you think they're accurate. I don't. By themselves because they are flawed. Every poll every week you can see some ridiculous rankings, and absolutely laughable teams getting votes. Humans have biases and lack of knowledge, and it shows in the polls. One of the reasons I gave up paying attention to them pre-season and in Sept because they're pretty meaningless right now.

Sure some of the computer rankings aren't accurate and have head scratchers, but so do the polls. But they take 7 computer rankings, throw out the high and low score for each team, so for each team its the avg of the 5 computer rankings and 3 human polls. And some years the GPI has been almost spot on in regards to the playoff field.

BDKJMU
September 24th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I disagree. Look at the computer rankings. They are absolutely horrible.

So are some of the polls. How accurate do you think polls are that have SIDs or writers voting on them who don't pay much attention to teams outside their conference or region?

KAUMASS
September 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Not even a mention of the Dukes matchup with Liberty? Surely you could have come up with something for your list. xrolleyesx :D

Ok...fixed it just for you..

The question will be is how will the Big South fare against the CAA this week?
JMU/Liberty UMass/Stony Brook

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 05:08 PM
So are some of the polls. How accurate do you think polls are that have SIDs or writers voting on them who don't pay much attention to teams outside their conference or region?
But the polls are bad in the ORV's, not the Top 25. Just to give you an example from the final regular season computer rankings last year. Keep in mind that you (and I) don't really recall how bad these rankings were.

Sauceda
9. W&M
13. UMass
14. EWU
18. Samford

The fact that the GPI has to dump the high and low for each team (could be 25-30 delta) tells you the computers simply are NOT accurate.

BDKJMU
September 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
But the polls are bad in the ORV's, not the Top 25. Just to give you an example from the final regular season computer rankings last year. Keep in mind that you (and I) don't really recall how bad these rankings were.

Sauceda
9. W&M
13. UMass
14. EWU
18. Samford

The fact that the GPI has to dump the high and low for each team (could be 25-30 delta) tells you the computers simply are NOT accurate.

But my point is the same thing can be said for the polls. They are simply not accurate.

UNCBears2010
September 24th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I agree with that and I'm sure all the UCA fans DEFINITELY agree too.

Yes, the transition process seems to last forever. I was in junior high when we started and a freshman in college when it finally ended.

Schfourteenteen
September 24th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Not as many as the amount of complaints about the TSN poll.
Liberty has Ball State and Virginia on their schedule at some point over the next 5 years. Good call

GaSo....Last time Elon had a big game they didnt fare too well.

make a playoff run?.. UMass

When their most prominent win is against a SWAC team, Im not sure how well that can be defined.

11. Per Request of SumItUP....How will the Big South fare against the CAA this weekend?
JMU LU will be closer than CAA people think but JMU will still win. UMass SB will be over by half

EmeryZach
September 25th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Hey all,

Shock/disbelief?
--- They are like ninjas. They are hiding silently in the dark, but when they decide to attack it will be quick and deadly.
--- Fans of atleast 10 teams in the top 25. They will think they got screwed.
--- Because it's San Jose St, and their uniforms are just flat out terrible.
--- Georgia Southern. My personal opinion is that Elon is way overated.
"Let's get rrrrrrrrrrrrready to rumble?
--- He's too expensive. Get his brother who does the "Let's get it on!" for the UFC.
Maine/Hofstra W&M/Northeastern Towson/URI
--- Yeah, because that is the weekend we start beating eachother up and then people will start dropping our teams in the polls.
make a playoff run?..
--- McNeese St. The cowboys looked pretty darn good against App. They need to work on their defense though.
--- Eh, maybe. I need to see a few more games this season before I can make that call.
--- No struggle this time. Should be an easy win for the Griz.
Elon and UTC over Wofford. Just a hunch..
--- ODU over Monmouth. ODU keeps the ball rolling!
--- JMU by 10, UMass by 20