PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia Bowl?

PDXCat
December 13th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know what this bowl is, who plays in it, and where and when it is?

jwfgeol
December 13th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Does anyone know what this bowl is, who plays in it, and where and when it is?

The Magnolia Gridiron Classic will take place on Christmas Eve in Jackson, MS at Veterans Memorial Stadium. It will pit I-A stars vs. I-AA stars. No word yet on TV but I have heard either FOX (probably regional) or CSS.

I know from searching articles that some of the people that have been selected are Jon Scifres from Missouri State; Patrick Covington, Corey Stewart, and Ingle Martin from Furman; Richie Williams from App (pre-injury); and from the I-A side Cleannord Saintil and Keon Raymond from MTSU.

Missouri State Article (http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051210/SPORTS0401/512100362/1002/SPORTS)

MTSU Article (http://www.columbiadailyherald.com/articles/2005/12/12/sports/05mtsu.txt)

jwfgeol
December 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Another Missouri State article...Link (http://www.missouristatebears.com/webapps/release?id=2776)

"the first annual Magnolia Gridiron Classic [is] to be played Saturday, Dec. 24, at 60,000-seat Jackson Memorial Stadium in Jackson, Miss. The game is tentatively slated for a late morning kickoff with the start time not set yet in anticipation of a possible television opportunity"

"He will play for a team of I-AA all-stars competing against a team of I-A all-stars. Each squad is expected to have 45 members. The I-AA team will be coached by head coach Scott Stoker of Northwestern State, with Joker Phillips of the University of Kentucky to head up the I-A club"

griz37
December 13th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Anybody have a complete list of I-AA players in this game?

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Uh oh...

Stoker coaching I-AA stars. We're in trouble...

December 13th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Anybody have a complete list of I-AA players in this game?This has to be the most under-publicized all-star game in history. I-AA.org has not received even one press release about this game... and it is happening in a couple weeks??? Even SIDs are emailing us asking for info about it.

JaxStateManager
December 13th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Jacksonville State has two players going to this one. OL Rod Olds 6-2 295 and SAF Darren Williams 6-2 200.

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2005, 06:15 PM
I've posted this information on the TxSt and Sam boards...

You'd think with the game being in MS and a SLC head coach, there'd be quite a bit of participation from SLC schools. We'll see what they turn up...

December 13th, 2005, 06:42 PM
I've posted this information on the TxSt and Sam boards...What info? Is there any official info? People all over are questioning what is going on with this supposed game.

AppState
December 13th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Swami posted the App players about a week ago. He may have more info for you, Ralph.

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2005, 07:09 PM
What info? Is there any official info? People all over are questioning what is going on with this supposed game.

Info posted here...

Trying to figure out if Brent over at TxSt or anyone close to the program at Sam have heard anything because you'd figure there'd be some SLCers with the proximity of the game and an SLC coach...

December 13th, 2005, 07:14 PM
just strange...

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2005, 07:22 PM
just strange...

Very...

Also surprised by the location. Mississippi? There's only what, MVSU there and Jackson St representing I-AA...?

Dr. Strangelove
December 13th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Very...

Also surprised by the location. Mississippi? There's only what, MVSU there and Jackson St representing I-AA...?

Do you suppose it would be possible to schedule this the same weekend as the national championship game? If the title game was moved to Saturday, the all-star game could be played on the Friday before and the close association of both games could only have a positive impact on the attendance and thus generate more revenue.

Pete's Weekly
December 13th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Very...

I think you might be confused with the Mississippi Magnolia Bowl. It is a bowl for the stars of CC's and JUCO's. It had a short run in 1999 and 2000. Maybe they are trying a new format?

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I think you might be confused with the Mississippi Magnolia Bowl. It is a bowl for the stars of CC's and JUCO's. It had a short run in 1999 and 2000. Maybe they are trying a new format?

"The Magnolia Gridiron Classic will take place on Christmas Eve in Jackson, MS at Veterans Memorial Stadium. It will pit I-A stars vs. I-AA stars. No word yet on TV but I have heard either FOX (probably regional) or CSS."

Seems like it's in Jackson, MS to me...unless you got something new to report...

NSUDemon98
December 14th, 2005, 07:57 AM
:smiley_wi
Uh oh...

Stoker coaching I-AA stars. We're in trouble...

As opposed to Tod Whitten???

Mr. Tiger
December 14th, 2005, 01:06 PM
What info? Is there any official info? People all over are questioning what is going on with this supposed game.

:confused: I'm from Jackson, Mississippi and this is the first I have heard of this game. That truly SAAAAD. :nonono2:

jwfgeol
December 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Ok, this was posted over on theuffp.

"Courtesy of John Murphy of Next Level Scouting here is a little more information on the Magnolia Gridiron All-Star Classic, which will be played in Jackson, Mississippi later this month. The actual game will be played at Memorial Stadium, the home field for Jackson State, on Saturday, December 24th, starting at 11AM, while the practices will be done at Millsaps College, a local area complex with a brand new Field-Turf surface. The game will also take on an innovative concept in that players from Division I-A programs not involved in the regular bowls will play against a small school roster comprised of Division I-AA and lower players. According to Darry Alton, CEO of next month’s Las Vegas All-American Classic, who has spear-headed the effort to get this new game off and running, “All these players need an all-star game, so with the Gridiron, Blue-Gray and HBCU games not being played, that is roughly 200 players without a chance to impress the scouts.” The Magnolia Bowl teams will be coached by members of the Kentucky and Northwestern State staffs. December 22nd will be a critical day for all of the prospects as a full-practice pitting the Division I-A all-stars against their smaller school rivals will highlight the day. In addition, there will be three full days of practice, an official NFL weigh-in day, as well as plenty of interviews, paper work and questionnaires for the players to fill out in their free time. A regional cable provider has agreed to televise the game, which will give them a territory of about 12-18 states, primarily in the south, but in future years an agreement with a major network would seem likely if the first contest comes off smoothly. A full game day roster, as well as additional details on the game will be made available later this week."

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the information...

When and if you get those rosters, feel free to post! :)

walliver
December 14th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I wonder if the I-A stars will be mostly non-BCS players. It would be nice to see the I-AA stars beat the tar out of the pseudo I-A'ers.

On the other hand, lumping in I-AA with D2 and lower doesn't make I-AA look too good.

RatboyNU
December 14th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Ryan Gibbons first team all A10 OT selection will be playing in the all star classic the press release is on gon nu.com

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Brent over at Bobcatfans is saying TexSt will be represented by Markee White and Travis Upshaw.

Mr. Tiger
December 14th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium is a nice venue. It's Jackson State's home stadium and seats about 60,000. But this game hasn't gotten publicity here at all. It is not even listed on the stadium's event list and it's not like that stadium host a lot of events. Thanks for the info.

jwfgeol
December 15th, 2005, 09:04 AM
I've seen a couple of other I-A players listed for this game...

Chris Taylor, RB - Indiana
Bill Sampy, WR - UL-Lafayette

Also I've heard that Ingle Martin did not accept the invitation to play in this game because of injury.

There will possibly be a website up for this game in the next few days. Whatever I find out I will post.

JSU Fan
December 15th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Also I've heard that Ingle Martin did not accept the invitation to play in this game because of injury.

Smart move.

That field could have a patch of ice on it.

:D

Out.

jwfgeol
December 16th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Ok, there are probably more important games to talk about :rotateh: but the website for this game is working. Under construction but working. Full rosters should be released soon.

Magnolia Gridiron Classic (http://www.magnoliagridironclassic.com/)

http://www.magnoliagridironclassic.com/images/logo_220w.jpg

Other roster additions:

Jay McCareins, DB - Princeton

December 16th, 2005, 12:14 PM
They spelled I-AA with an arabic 1 and they listed non-D-I student-athletes as "1-AA" ... :bang: :bang: :bang: :splat:

2005 Magnolia Bowl 1-AA Roster

Head Coach: Coach Stoker from Northwestern State

#18 QB Blayne Baggett Indiana State
#14 QB Travis Lulay Montana State
#5 QB Chris Bramell St. Francis (Indiana)
#21 RB Keldrick Williams Alabama State
#17 RB Sean Treasure Minnesota State
#33 RB Terrence Freeney Northern Iowa
#42 FB Kasey Young Western New Mexico
#44 HB Jonathan Williams New Hampshire
#84 HB Zack Alcorn Black Hills State
#71 LT Woodly Telfort Northwestern State
#66 LT Jonathan Banks Grambling
#64 LG Patrick Covington Furman
#55 C Corey Stewart Furman
#69 C Raymond McNeil Fort Valley State
#77 RT Richard Burch Mississippi Valley State
#70 RT Ryan Gibbons Northeastern
#67 RG Rod Olds Jacksonville State
#62 RG Gerell Golightly Hampton
#80 WR Felton Huggins S.E. Louisiana
#3 WR Toby Ziegler Northwestern State
#8 WR Kelvin Dickens Morgan State
#6 WR Hank Edwards Texas Southern
#86 WR Markee White Texas State
#29 K/P Jon Scifres Missouri State
#97 DE Jason Hunter Appalachian State
#91 DE Moe Thompson Grambling
#85 DE Sean Conover Bucknell
#58 DE John Hermann Northern Iowa
#96 DT Jesse Hayes Howard
#98 DT Travis Upshaw Texas State
#92 DT Johnny Williams Tuskegee
#56 DT Derrick Mincey South East Louisiana
#4 OLB Sterling Green Bowie State
#40 OLB Ladrelle Bryant Indiana State
#32 MLB Marvin Byrdsong Northwestern State
#25 MLB Wyatt Gayer Anderson
#54 SLB Wesley Holmes Tennessee State
#59 SLB Fredrick Brock Texas Southern
#19 SS Jamar Landrom Tennessee State
#12 SS Darrell Bennett Stephen F. Austin
#2 FS Antoine Bethea Howard
#1 FS Darren Williams Jacksonville State
#16 CB Jay McCareins Princeton
#22 CB Stephen Cason William & Mary
#28 CB Bernard Opoko Jacksonville
#9 CB E.J. Underwood Pikeville College

TigerFan17
December 16th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I wonder how they selected these players...?

TigerFan17
December 16th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Umm...something here doesn't make sense...check out the I-A roster...see the names I bolded....I'm pretty sure those aren't I-A schools.

2005 Magnolia Bowl 1-A Roster

Head Coach: Joker Phillips of University of Kentucky

#15 QB Steven Jyles Louisiana-Monroe
# 9 QB Dustin Almond Southern Miss
#11 QB Matt Bohnet Eastern Michigan
#30 RB Chris Taylor Indiana
#22 RB Anthony Sherrell Eastern Michigan
#19 RB J.R. Lemon Stanford
#1 RB/FS De De Dorsey Lindenwood
#47 FB Brandon Kennedy Arkansas
#44 HB Joey Trappey Louisiana-Monroe
#88 TE Boone Stutz Texas A&M
#70 LT Ishmael Lockhart Missouri
#79 LT Terrance Pennington New Mexico
#71 LG Jeff Jenerou Central Michigan
#74 LG Adam Hines Indiana
#50 C Chris McNeil Mississippi State
#76 RG Aldo Dela Garza Texas A&M
#78 RG Zarah Yisrael Troy
#75 RT Bobby Harris Ole’ Miss
#80 WR Bill Sampy Louisiana-Lafayette
#81 WR Scott Mitchell Kentucky
#7 WR Jason Carter Texas A&M
#10 WR Paul Dombroski New Mexico State
#85 WR Cleannord Saintil Middle Tennessee State
#5 K/P Justin Brantley
#94 DE Travis Parker Georgia Tech
#45 DE Mike Mendenhall Temple
#90 DE Marcus Parker New Mexico
#72 DT Michael Bozeman Ole’ Miss
#96 DT Ernest Respress Alabama-Birmingham
#55 DT/LS Brandon Villarreal Purdue
#95 DT Marcus Lewis Urbana
#27 OLB Bernard Davis Troy
#29 OLB Clarence McDougal Mississippi State
#56 MLB Mike Mohoric New Mexico
#31 MLB Archie McDaniel Texas A&M
#4 CB Keon Raymond Middle Tennessee State
#18 CB Willie Andrews Baylor
#8 CB Johnny Faulk Troy
#23 CB/FS Shelton Williams Louisiana-Monroe
#6 FS Josh Taylor Ball State University
#2 SS Tra Boger Tulane
#21 SS Dominique Cosper Alabama-Birmingham

Gussie
December 16th, 2005, 01:33 PM
They spelled I-AA with an arabic 1 and they listed non-D-I student-athletes as "1-AA" ... :bang: :bang: :bang: :splat:

2005 Magnolia Bowl 1-AA Roster

Head Coach: Coach Stoker from Northwestern State

#18 QB Blayne Baggett Indiana State
#14 QB Travis Lulay Montana State
#5 QB Chris Bramell St. Francis (Indiana)
#21 RB Keldrick Williams Alabama State
#17 RB Sean Treasure Minnesota State
#33 RB Terrence Freeney Northern Iowa
#42 FB Kasey Young Western New Mexico
#44 HB Jonathan Williams New Hampshire
#84 HB Zack Alcorn Black Hills State
#71 LT Woodly Telfort Northwestern State
#66 LT Jonathan Banks Grambling
#64 LG Patrick Covington Furman
#55 C Corey Stewart Furman
#69 C Raymond McNeil Fort Valley State
#77 RT Richard Burch Mississippi Valley State
#70 RT Ryan Gibbons Northeastern
#67 RG Rod Olds Jacksonville State
#62 RG Gerell Golightly Hampton
#80 WR Felton Huggins S.E. Louisiana
#3 WR Toby Ziegler Northwestern State
#8 WR Kelvin Dickens Morgan State
#6 WR Hank Edwards Texas Southern
#86 WR Markee White Texas State
#29 K/P Jon Scifres Missouri State
#97 DE Jason Hunter Appalachian State
#91 DE Moe Thompson Grambling
#85 DE Sean Conover Bucknell
#58 DE John Hermann Northern Iowa
#96 DT Jesse Hayes Howard
#98 DT Travis Upshaw Texas State
#92 DT Johnny Williams Tuskegee
#56 DT Derrick Mincey South East Louisiana
#4 OLB Sterling Green Bowie State
#40 OLB Ladrelle Bryant Indiana State
#32 MLB Marvin Byrdsong Northwestern State
#25 MLB Wyatt Gayer Anderson
#54 SLB Wesley Holmes Tennessee State
#59 SLB Fredrick Brock Texas Southern
#19 SS Jamar Landrom Tennessee State
#12 SS Darrell Bennett Stephen F. Austin
#2 FS Antoine Bethea Howard
#1 FS Darren Williams Jacksonville State
#16 CB Jay McCareins Princeton
#22 CB Stephen Cason William & Mary
#28 CB Bernard Opoko Jacksonville
#9 CB E.J. Underwood Pikeville College

Is he the same player that was at U. South Carolina last year that like to do pranks and jokes concerning ownership rights? At least he thought it was a joke. xidiotx

jwfgeol
December 16th, 2005, 01:54 PM
So, shouldn't this game be billed as I-A vs. I-AA and II? It is a little misleading to say this is a I-A vs. I-AA game.

It's not just I-AA and D-II. Several of the schools are NAIA (Black Hills State, St. Francis, Pikeville, etc....). Billing it as I-A vs. I-AA does seems a little strange. I wonder if this was the intention, but if I-AA players couldn't accept the invitation they invited lower levels.

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I-A and Friends vs I-AA and Friends! :)

PDXCat
December 19th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Will the game be televised?

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Will the game be televised?

ESPN has NFL-related programming (remember the NFL has a majority of their schedule on 24th this week)...

ESPN2 has K1 programming at that time. ESPNU is showing a replay of the previous night's Ft Worth Bowl and then showing a replay of the game earlier this year featuring Arizona St-LSU which was moved due to Katrina....

MACHIAVELLI
December 19th, 2005, 01:34 PM
These guys must be drunk

jstate83
December 19th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Another Missouri State article...Link (http://www.missouristatebears.com/webapps/release?id=2776)

"the first annual Magnolia Gridiron Classic [is] to be played Saturday, Dec. 24, at 60,000-seat Jackson Memorial Stadium in Jackson, Miss. The game is tentatively slated for a late morning kickoff with the start time not set yet in anticipation of a possible television opportunity"

OK.

I heard about this when it was announced about 2 weeks ago.
I pass TIGERLAND, Memorial, everyday on the way home.

I don't see shat going on over at the stadium nor have I heard anything else about it here. :eyebrow:

What's the deal.

jstate83
December 19th, 2005, 01:59 PM
These guys must be drunk

Which is what 95% of the people here are going to be Christmas Eve.
The house parties and clubs will be packed........................... Memorial won't.

TexasTerror
December 20th, 2005, 07:34 PM
A bit from an article from CBS Sportsline...

Organizers were mum for most of the season and originally planned to stage the first Magnolia Classic after the 2006 season.

They scrambled to arrange this season's game after hearing reports of another all-star game possibly being held next season in another state, Alton said. Plans were announced barely more than a week before gameday, and officials said it will be televised only regionally.

"We moved up our timetable in a hurry," Alton said. "We didn't want to go out there and boast up a game that wouldn't take place. ... We didn't want to go looking for sponsorship support. We wanted to show that the game can take place, and then hopefully they will embrace it and enjoy it. Don't go asking people for money if you don't deliver a product. We wanted to deliver the product first."

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9106090

ASU Kep
December 21st, 2005, 01:40 AM
Seems like they've done a pretty shabby promotional job thus far. I really like the concept, but I don't think I can make the game. (Hopefully) I'll get to watch it on TV. They didn't have any info listed on the site, does anybody know who'll be broadcasting this and to where? I'd love to see Jayson Hunter beat the snot out of some of those I-A guys.

jwfgeol
December 22nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
Still no word on TV for this game. Two days away and haven't heard anything.

On another note though, Patrick Covington and Corey Stewart are giving daily updates on theuffp. I don't think they would have any problem with me putting it on here. Here is what they said about the first two days...

"Diary Day 1 & 2: Thanks to all of you all who are interested in our experience here in Mississippi. We arrived in Jackson at 3 oclock yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon and were immediately introduced to the business end of the NFL. From 4 to 7 we took IQ tests, psychological evaluations, and then after dinner all players were stripped down to their shorts and measured and weighed in front of all the scouts. Following this adventure we met with our positions coaches (Northwestern St. University in Louisiana) till 11 oclock. This morning there were more meetings to go over plays and protections at 8 followed by the NFL Combine at 10. The demeanor here is all business. Practice this afternoon was high intensity and fast tempo. Fortunately we have the night off to relax and gear up for two-a-days tomorrow. Its been an experience to say the least and we are looking forward to the game and being able to play on saturday. Look back tomorrow for our day three post from Jackson."

jstate83
December 22nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
Here's are the roster's of the teams if anyone is interested.

ALL-STAR Classic Roster (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051222/SPORTS02/51222005/1266/SPORTS)

The names highlighted in yellow are from Mississippi............Just something the Clarionledger did.

PantherRob82
December 22nd, 2005, 03:58 PM
glad to see UNI in there, but why Terrance Freeney?

Tilldog40
December 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM
Lets just kick their asses.

jwfgeol
December 23rd, 2005, 01:24 PM
More from Patrick and Corey...

"Day 3 was all practice. We started the morning off with a 2 hour practice with lots of contact and by the end of practice we were running double duty due to injuries along the offensive line. Both teams will be running water-downed offenses as well as two basic defensive schemes with no blitzing "allowed". So grasping the offense has not been to difficult. We had lunch in between practices and immediately went back to the practice field. During the afternoon practice we covered some special teams. We also worked some 1 on 1 pass drills with the 1-A guys. As a group we held it together pretty well. Tommorrow we'll have a regular morning practice with a focus on special teams. In the afternoon we will head over to Jackson State's Memorial Stadium and have a walk through practice."

And as ralph already posted several Comcast/Charter regional sports networks have picked up the game.

blukeys
December 23rd, 2005, 02:22 PM
glad to see UNI in there, but why Terrance Freeney?

I'm with you Horn would be a better choice. On the other hand I can think of a lot of I-AA backs who would be better.

ButlerGSU
December 24th, 2005, 09:33 AM
CSS has the game live at noon today.

TexasTerror
December 24th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Is this the network that shows games live on the 'Net, like when I watched Nicholls vs Furman? Link anyone if such a thing exists?

Found the link online. Shows them having paid programming on CN8.