PDA

View Full Version : Question for Jalmond

GrizzlyBill
September 23rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
I suppose this topic was a major thread back when it happened, but I am curious now about how the Viking faithful felt the day they learned Jerry Glanville would be their coach. Jalmond, what were your own feelings from that day?

JALMOND
September 24th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I suppose this topic was a major thread back when it happened, but I am curious now about how the Viking faithful felt the day they learned Jerry Glanville would be their coach. Jalmond, what were your own feelings from that day?

Supposedly the way it went down was Walsh left and the interim athletic director (we also were without an AD at the time) called Mouse Davis, who was the OC at Hawaii at the time, to see who he would recommend to coach. His response was supposedly that he didn't have any idea. By chance, Davis was golfing at the time with Glanville and so Davis asked Glanville if he would be interested right then. Keep in mind that Glanville had given quite a bit of thought about coaching at Northern State in South Dakota before turning that job down. Davis handed the phone to Glanville and our AD offered him a chance to interview (sketchy as to if the job was offered to him at that time).

I was intrigued with Glanville but I thought there was no way we could get a former NFL head coach to coach at Portland State. Not to ruffle feathers around AGS, but former NFL coaches the caliber of Glanville do not necessarily look at coaching at Portland State or the Big Sky. They usually head for a job somewhere in the FBS level. I was skeptical, first off if Glanville would even be willing to come to Portland State, and second, if he would agree to a lower level of compensation that he would be used to, to come here. I was shocked when Glanville and PSU came to agreeement and he became the head coach.

The best thing about Glanville coming to Portland State was that he made Viking football relevant in Portland and Oregon. Walsh was not a salesman and Viking football was almost dead. Then Glanville came and there was a buzz around that did not exist under Walsh. We were that team that Jerry Glanville coached. People wanted to know more about Portland State, the Big Sky conference, and FCS in general. Glanville knew that he had to promote the hell out of Viking football as well. Every interview given, he stressed about what was happening at Portland State. It was Portland State this, Portland State that, this is what we are doing here at Portland State. Looking back, I think that in the eyes of most people in Portland, even though we had been playing FCS football for 10 years, that was the day that we cleared the final hurdle from DII to FCS. People saw that we were not on the level of Linfield, but a lot closer to Oregon and Oregon State than they thought.

I Bleed Purple
September 24th, 2009, 02:37 AM
This was the year after McBride got hired, right? I was wondering how the Big Sky was getting all these known commodities to coach.

mvemjsunpx
September 24th, 2009, 03:13 AM
This was the year after McBride got hired, right? I was wondering how the Big Sky was getting all these known commodities to coach.

Two years after (McBride went to Weber in '05; Glanville to PSU in '07).

bpcats
September 24th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Coach Ash, Glanville, Zamberlin, and I think UNC's Downey or the Sac State coach were all hired the same year.

Coach Glanville has that program headed in the right direction. The Vikings are a very young team.

grizzpaw
September 24th, 2009, 05:50 AM
i think this is his last year at psu!

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Since we are talking about Glanville. Anybody know why he is such a poor sport? Also, why he never shows up to post game press conferences?

griz8791
September 24th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I can't recall a single instance of him being quoted in the press saying anything disrespectful of any other team in the conference. This is probably worth keeping in mind at a time when media relations is kind of a glass house for certain other programs.

grizzpaw
September 24th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Since we are talking about Glanville. Anybody know why he is such a poor sport? Also, why he never shows up to post game press conferences?

i think its' simple, he puts so much effort(a lot more than other teams) into beating montana that its' got to hurt losing like he does! he likes to WIN and i think he finds it hard to answer the SAME questions EVERY year! just my opinion!xcoffeex

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM

I read one quote something to the effect that he didn't feel like he got much respect but at the same time, didn't give them much of a reason to respect him. I am not sure what that means really, but they should shake hands after the game. xpeacex

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM

I think a big reason for McBride taking the WSU job was he wanted to stay in Utah and wasn't done coaching.

Green26
September 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Interesting and informative post by Jalmond. Thanks. I certainly agree with the PR and publicity part--i.e. increasing the visibility of PSU, the conference and I-AA.

One more question for Jalmond. Do you think Glanville has improved the quality of PSU's team/play? My impression is that he has not. In fact, quality may have slid a bit backwards. However, I don't follow PSU closely enough to know the answer for sure.

grizband
September 24th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Interesting and informative post by Jalmond. Thanks. I certainly agree with the PR and publicity part--i.e. increasing the visibility of PSU, the conference and I-AA.

One more question for Jalmond. Do you think Glanville has improved the quality of PSU's team/play? My impression is that he has not. In fact, quality may have slid a bit backwards. However, I don't follow PSU closely enough to know the answer for sure.
Glanville has improved the market share for PSU in a Portland market dominated by OU and OSU athletics. However, I would say Portland State was more competitive in the Big Sky under their previous coach.

GrizzlyBill
September 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Supposedly the way it went down was Walsh left and the interim athletic director (we also were without an AD at the time) called Mouse Davis, who was the OC at Hawaii at the time, to see who he would recommend to coach. His response was supposedly that he didn't have any idea. By chance, Davis was golfing at the time with Glanville and so Davis asked Glanville if he would be interested right then. Keep in mind that Glanville had given quite a bit of thought about coaching at Northern State in South Dakota before turning that job down. Davis handed the phone to Glanville and our AD offered him a chance to interview (sketchy as to if the job was offered to him at that time).

I was intrigued with Glanville but I thought there was no way we could get a former NFL head coach to coach at Portland State. Not to ruffle feathers around AGS, but former NFL coaches the caliber of Glanville do not necessarily look at coaching at Portland State or the Big Sky. They usually head for a job somewhere in the FBS level. I was skeptical, first off if Glanville would even be willing to come to Portland State, and second, if he would agree to a lower level of compensation that he would be used to, to come here. I was shocked when Glanville and PSU came to agreeement and he became the head coach.

The best thing about Glanville coming to Portland State was that he made Viking football relevant in Portland and Oregon. Walsh was not a salesman and Viking football was almost dead. Then Glanville came and there was a buzz around that did not exist under Walsh. We were that team that Jerry Glanville coached. People wanted to know more about Portland State, the Big Sky conference, and FCS in general. Glanville knew that he had to promote the hell out of Viking football as well. Every interview given, he stressed about what was happening at Portland State. It was Portland State this, Portland State that, this is what we are doing here at Portland State. Looking back, I think that in the eyes of most people in Portland, even though we had been playing FCS football for 10 years, that was the day that we cleared the final hurdle from DII to FCS. People saw that we were not on the level of Linfield, but a lot closer to Oregon and Oregon State than they thought.

Thanks, Jalmond. Interesting take (which, I knew you would have!). Glanville is certainly a colorful character, but it seems he may miss the Mouse in more ways than one. Hopefully you guys have a successful rest of the season.

JALMOND
September 24th, 2009, 12:01 PM

I honestly don't know what you are talking about. If anything, Glanville is extremely self-depreciating. Many times I have heard about the opposition is like the best team in the country (whomever we are playing next). Their star player will be playing on Sundays and we need to play almost above ourselves just to stay even. I cannot remember a disrespective comment from Glanville to anyone (maybe towards officials, but who hasn't done that).

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I honestly don't know what you are talking about. If anything, Glanville is extremely self-depreciating. Many times I have heard about the opposition is like the best team in the country (whomever we are playing next). Their star player will be playing on Sundays and we need to play almost above ourselves just to stay even. I cannot remember a disrespective comment from Glanville to anyone (maybe towards officials, but who hasn't done that).

He has repeatedly not shown up for post game press conferences, has made BH seek him out because he leaves the field so damn fast and doesn't shake hands, and complains about not getting any respect.

JALMOND
September 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I read one quote something to the effect that he didn't feel like he got much respect but at the same time, didn't give them much of a reason to respect him. I am not sure what that means really, but they should shake hands after the game. xpeacex

I know he doesn't feel that himself, nor Portland State get the respect from the higher ups at the commission level, but that does not translate to a perceived lack of respect on the field. He does respect the coaches, players, teams and fans of the other schools (and he feels like they all do respect him and Portland State, even Griz fans). He does feel (and I have to agree with him) that the remaining core members from 1963 (Montana, Montana State, Idaho State and Weber State) do get certain breaks from the commissioner over the other schools, but in no way does he hold that against those teams (more of a higher up problem). He also believes that Portland State in general, not just football, does not gets as much respect as we should around the state of Oregon.

He does try to shake hands after the game with every player and coach of the opposing team. He will single out the coaches, particularly the head coach and talk to them before the game (more or less visit) and try to find them after the game. He has known Griz coach Hauck from Hauck's days at Washington and has said how much Glanville admires what Hauck has done at Montana. Hauck did invite Glanville to Missoula last summer for a tour of the campus and stadium, Glanville accepted the offer, and from what I hear, both had a very wonderful time.

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I know he doesn't feel that himself, nor Portland State get the respect from the higher ups at the commission level, but that does not translate to a perceived lack of respect on the field. He does respect the coaches, players, teams and fans of the other schools (and he feels like they all do respect him and Portland State, even Griz fans). He does feel (and I have to agree with him) that the remaining core members from 1963 (Montana, Montana State, Idaho State and Weber State) do get certain breaks from the commissioner over the other schools, but in no way does he hold that against those teams (more of a higher up problem). He also believes that Portland State in general, not just football, does not gets as much respect as we should around the state of Oregon.

He does try to shake hands after the game with every player and coach of the opposing team. He will single out the coaches, particularly the head coach and talk to them before the game (more or less visit) and try to find them after the game. He has known Griz coach Hauck from Hauck's days at Washington and has said how much Glanville admires what Hauck has done at Montana. Hauck did invite Glanville to Missoula last summer for a tour of the campus and stadium, Glanville accepted the offer, and from what I hear, both had a very wonderful time.

So why is it again that BH had to hunt him down after the game to talk??? Not getting any respect or whatever from Oregon and the CONFERENCE doesn't let him off the hook in my eyes to be all pouty after the game.

Do you think he would be all giddy and make a big point to SHOW up for the post game press conference and discuss his WIN, if he did win last Saturday?

JALMOND
September 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM

The run and shoot offense that we run is a total turnaround from the offense and philosophy of what Walsh ran. Whether that is good or bad still remains to be seen, particularly this year. Only five players remain on the team from the Walsh era so the Vikings are extremely young still. Also the last two years, Davis had full control of the offense and Glanville had full control of the defense. Davis's style was a primarily passing attack. This year there is no Davis, and Glanville has "tweaked" the offense, adding a tight end and using the run to set up the pass more. So this offense is a little different from even last year, and, with the new style and young faces, of course quality of play will appear to go down.

As for the quality of players, Glanville's name has been big for us. Of course everyone knows Glanville, even those who've only heard of him on NFL films ("This is the NFL, which stands for Not For Long when you make those kinds of <censored> calls.") and for a recruit, even a big name recruit, to see this former NFL coach coming to see him automatically perks their interest. To say Glanville is visiting I would say carries more weight that to say the Portland State coach is here today (is more impressive). He does not go after problems or headaches, but he does emphasize on those kids that he believes can play his style of football that has made Glanville known, that of hard-nosed but clean football. Some kids come in knowing just how to play hard-nosed and some come in knowing just how to play clean. Glanville and company try to work on both aspects. One drawback I would say that Glanville has, and it is common among any former NFL coach going to college and that is the academic side. Glanville will take a chance on a so-so student if they are a good athlete. But, unlike big name schools, there is no pressure from the PSU faculty to clear the star player to play that week. Just last week, our receiver Wolverton, who had a great game the previous week against Southern Oregon, flunked a test and did not get some work in on time. As a result he stayed home instead of going to Montana. Not only did he not play, but he was not even allowed to make the trip. Glanville has maintained since he got here that, if he hears about a student who was not doing the work in class, that student will not play that week. All coaches say something similar, but obviously in Wolverton's case, Glanville means it (and this is by far not the only example, but the most recent). Glanville has also received rave reviews and positive comments from the PSU faculty and staff as to how easily approachable he is in academic matters involving football players, and how he listens to the concerns of the faculty. Glanville has stated that, even at the bigger schools, the chances of playing in the NFL are slight, and to make a career out of it are even smaller, so that is why he tries to instill in every football athlete to use this opportunity to better themselves.

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 12:49 PM
The run and shoot offense that we run is a total turnaround from the offense and philosophy of what Walsh ran. Whether that is good or bad still remains to be seen, particularly this year. Only five players remain on the team from the Walsh era so the Vikings are extremely young still. Also the last two years, Davis had full control of the offense and Glanville had full control of the defense. Davis's style was a primarily passing attack. This year there is no Davis, and Glanville has "tweaked" the offense, adding a tight end and using the run to set up the pass more. So this offense is a little different from even last year, and, with the new style and young faces, of course quality of play will appear to go down.

As for the quality of players, Glanville's name has been big for us. Of course everyone knows Glanville, even those who've only heard of him on NFL films ("This is the NFL, which stands for Not For Long when you make those kinds of <censored> calls.") and for a recruit, even a big name recruit, to see this former NFL coach coming to see him automatically perks their interest. To say Glanville is visiting I would say carries more weight that to say the Portland State coach is here today (is more impressive). He does not go after problems or headaches, but he does emphasize on those kids that he believes can play his style of football that has made Glanville known, that of hard-nosed but clean football. Some kids come in knowing just how to play hard-nosed and some come in knowing just how to play clean. Glanville and company try to work on both aspects. One drawback I would say that Glanville has, and it is common among any former NFL coach going to college and that is the academic side. Glanville will take a chance on a so-so student if they are a good athlete. But, unlike big name schools, there is no pressure from the PSU faculty to clear the star player to play that week. Just last week, our receiver Wolverton, who had a great game the previous week against Southern Oregon, flunked a test and did not get some work in on time. As a result he stayed home instead of going to Montana. Not only did he not play, but he was not even allowed to make the trip. Glanville has maintained since he got here that, if he hears about a student who was not doing the work in class, that student will not play that week. All coaches say something similar, but obviously in Wolverton's case, Glanville means it (and this is by far not the only example, but the most recent). Glanville has also received rave reviews and positive comments from the PSU faculty and staff as to how easily approachable he is in academic matters involving football players, and how he listens to the concerns of the faculty. Glanville has stated that, even at the bigger schools, the chances of playing in the NFL are slight, and to make a career out of it are even smaller, so that is why he tries to instill in every football athlete to use this opportunity to better themselves.

Good for him!

JALMOND
September 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM
So why is it again that BH had to hunt him down after the game to talk??? Not getting any respect or whatever from Oregon and the CONFERENCE doesn't let him off the hook in my eyes to be all pouty after the game.

Do you think he would be all giddy and make a big point to SHOW up for the post game press conference and discuss his WIN, if he did win last Saturday?

I am not aware of this. I am not aware of any friction between Glanville and Hauck. I find it strange that, if there were, that Hauck would have invited Glanville (at Hauck's request even) to come to Missoula and tour the Grizzly facilities.

Also, I don't know about the press conferences that you refer to. I was able to read quotes from Glanville after the game in both the Missoulian and the Oregonian. Obviously, the reporters got them from somewhere.

I Bleed Purple
September 24th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I think a big reason for McBride taking the WSU job was he wanted to stay in Utah and wasn't done coaching.

Return to Utah you mean. He was a linebacker's coach at Kentucky between Utah jobs.

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I am not aware of this. I am not aware of any friction between Glanville and Hauck. I find it strange that, if there were, that Hauck would have invited Glanville (at Hauck's request even) to come to Missoula and tour the Grizzly facilities.

Also, I don't know about the press conferences that you refer to. I was able to read quotes from Glanville after the game in both the Missoulian and the Oregonian. Obviously, the reporters got them from somewhere.

None of the quotes came from the post game press conference. NOT ONE! He skipped it like he did last time.

Never mind.

griz8791
September 24th, 2009, 03:28 PM
. . . I cannot remember a disrespective comment from Glanville to anyone (maybe towards officials, but who hasn't done that).

This is how I see it. I didn't expect a guy who had coached in the NFL to be as gracious and complimentary as he has been. He could have come in and acted like a big fish in a small pond but he hasn't.

elkmcc
September 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM

With all due respect Grizza.. I don't think Jerry Glanville's failure to show up for the post game press conference was done in disrespect to the Griz or BH in any way. After discussing JG with BH last week I think they both have a tremendous amount of respect for each other. My take on this is that JG did not want to take away from BH's win. JG is a national sports figure and any interview he gave would have taken the spotlight from the Griz and BH and directed toward JG.

I would bet money if you asked JG's opinion of BH it would be nothing but positive.

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 03:56 PM
With all due respect Grizza.. I don't think Jerry Glanville's failure to show up for the post game press conference was done in disrespect to the Griz or BH in any way. After discussing JG with BH last week I think they both have a tremendous amount of respect for each other. My take on this is that JG did not want to take away from BH's win. JG is a national sports figure and any interview he gave would have taken the spotlight from the Griz and BH and directed toward JG.

I would bet money if you asked JG's opinion of BH it would be nothing but positive.

SO because he has so much respect for BH, he doesn't show up to post game press conferences??? xoopsx

Do you think he would have shown up if he would have won?

elkmcc
September 24th, 2009, 04:00 PM
SO because he has so much respect for BH, he doesn't show up to post game press conferences??? xoopsx

Do you think he would have shown up if he would have won?

Read my post. IMO if PSU had won, JG would have praised BH and the Griz more than the Vike's performance. Give these coaches credit. They're professionals and respect each other.

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Read my post. IMO if PSU had won, JG would have praised BH and the Griz more than the Vike's performance. Give these coaches credit. They're professionals and respect each other.

It is impossible to get a straight answer from you or Jalmond today. I will drop it.

elkmcc
September 24th, 2009, 04:14 PM
It is impossible to get a straight answer from you or Jalmond today. I will drop it.

I am not trying to be evasive in the slightest. I will ask BH about his feelings regarding JG's failure to show for the press conference. My guess is BH will chuckle and express similar reactions as mine. As I said before, I don't think you give these fellows the credit they deserve in regards to the respect they have for each other.

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I am not trying to be evasive in the slightest. I will ask BH about his feelings regarding JG's failure to show for the press conference. My guess is BH will chuckle and express similar reactions as mine. As I said before, I don't think you give these fellows the credit they deserve in regards to the respect they have for each other.

I don't really care one bit on what BH says about why JG didn't show for the post game press conference. I enjoy reading, or watching and listening, to opposing coaches views on this or that from the game. When he fails to show up he takes away some insight from the game, IMO.

If he is so good with words and so funny as everybody says that he is, I think it would be nice of him to actually attend one of these things .

JALMOND
September 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM

I am trying to give you a straight answer. I guess maybe I don't know exactly what the question is. You want to know why Glanville skips press conferences? I don't know. I do know that, win or lose, there are quotes from Glanville in the papers (both the Oregonian and the other team's local paper). This past week, both the Oregonian and the Missoulian had quotes from Glanville, Jordan Brown (the defender who got the personal foul penalty for hitting Roper) and Drew Hubel. The reporters had to get them from somewhere, it is poor journalism to make them up.

Also, I was not aware that it is mandatory that both coaches appear on a post game press conference. If that is where we as a conference are, as close to the big boys, maybe we can work on something useful, like replay challenges.:D

Green26
September 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM
As stated, Glanville has skipped 2 Griz post-game press conferences. That may have been because he is so competitive and was especially upset after the games. Obviously, I don't know.

After the last game, Glanville came to the middle of the field, but did not stay long enough to shake Hauck's hand. As Glanville was leaving the field, Hauck hustled after him to catch him and talk briefly.

Note that the players didn't line up to shake hands after this game. They all just came together in a big group.

I doubt there is any issue between Glanville and Hauck. I know Hauck likes him. Glanville stops at the Griz coaches' offices everytime he comes thru Missoula, sometimes without notice. I think they all get a kick out of him, and I think Hauck has a great deal of respect for him.

CrunchGriz
September 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I am trying to give you a straight answer. I guess maybe I don't know exactly what the question is. You want to know why Glanville skips press conferences? I don't know. I do know that, win or lose, there are quotes from Glanville in the papers (both the Oregonian and the other team's local paper). This past week, both the Oregonian and the Missoulian had quotes from Glanville, Jordan Brown (the defender who got the personal foul penalty for hitting Roper) and Drew Hubel. The reporters had to get them from somewhere, it is poor journalism to make them up.

Also, I was not aware that it is mandatory that both coaches appear on a post game press conference. If that is where we as a conference are, as close to the big boys, maybe we can work on something useful, like replay challenges.:D

Just a little correction on this issue, which is tangential, obviously, but Jordan Brown did not get a personal foul penalty for hitting Justin Roper -- he got it for excessive celebration after hitting Roper. And Roper, even concussed, somehow had the wherewithal to get the ball in Marc Mariani's vicinity on the next play, which turned into a 56-yard catch-and-run TD. And the rest is history....xsmiley_wix

JALMOND
September 24th, 2009, 11:03 PM
As stated, Glanville has skipped 2 Griz post-game press conferences. That may have been because he is so competitive and was especially upset after the games. Obviously, I don't know.

After the last game, Glanville came to the middle of the field, but did not stay long enough to shake Hauck's hand. As Glanville was leaving the field, Hauck hustled after him to catch him and talk briefly.

Note that the players didn't line up to shake hands after this game. They all just came together in a big group.

I doubt there is any issue between Glanville and Hauck. I know Hauck likes him. Glanville stops at the Griz coaches' offices everytime he comes thru Missoula, sometimes without notice. I think they all get a kick out of him, and I think Hauck has a great deal of respect for him.

And Glanville has a ton of respect for Hauck, as well as the whole Grizzly football program (players, other coaches and fans). During our Montana week (what we call the week leading up to the Griz game), it is fun listening to Glanville talk about the whole Montana experience. Like the other conference coaches, Glanville envisions what it would be like to have that experience in Portland for PSU football. Strange as it may seem, he thinks it can happen.

CrunchGriz
September 25th, 2009, 12:25 AM
And Glanville has a ton of respect for Hauck, as well as the whole Grizzly football program (players, other coaches and fans). During our Montana week (what we call the week leading up to the Griz game), it is fun listening to Glanville talk about the whole Montana experience. Like the other conference coaches, Glanville envisions what it would be like to have that experience in Portland for PSU football. Strange as it may seem, he thinks it can happen.

That sounds seemingly possible, but knowing the Portland market, it's gonna be a tough nut to crack. Portland is in thrall to the Ducks and Beavers, so much so that PSU's biggest game of the season (against Montana, not OSU, because the OSU game had no effect on PSU's participation in the playoffs) ends up on page C10 in the Sunday Oregonian, PSU's hometown newspaper.

Perhaps if PSU has a single real breakout year (like undefeated and a deep run in the playoffs) they can get the locals' interest stoked back to approximately their Div II glory days under Pokey Allen, but that's about the only thing that could do it, in my opinion. I say this because the interest level for PSU football didn't even go up significantly in 2000 when they made the playoffs.

Believe me, Jalmond, I say this not in any attempt at smack, just as an observation from living in the Portland area for the last 19 years. Frankly, I'm constantly amazed at the relative lack of PSU football coverage here in Portland. They deserve better--Glanville or no Glanville.

JALMOND
September 25th, 2009, 12:07 PM
That sounds seemingly possible, but knowing the Portland market, it's gonna be a tough nut to crack. Portland is in thrall to the Ducks and Beavers, so much so that PSU's biggest game of the season (against Montana, not OSU, because the OSU game had no effect on PSU's participation in the playoffs) ends up on page C10 in the Sunday Oregonian, PSU's hometown newspaper.

Perhaps if PSU has a single real breakout year (like undefeated and a deep run in the playoffs) they can get the locals' interest stoked back to approximately their Div II glory days under Pokey Allen, but that's about the only thing that could do it, in my opinion. I say this because the interest level for PSU football didn't even go up significantly in 2000 when they made the playoffs.

Believe me, Jalmond, I say this not in any attempt at smack, just as an observation from living in the Portland area for the last 19 years. Frankly, I'm constantly amazed at the relative lack of PSU football coverage here in Portland. They deserve better--Glanville or no Glanville.

I know what you're saying and I don't mean to open any old wounds here, but the I-AA/ FCS could have helped, too. When we went to the playoffs, the committee, instead of opening out west or even in Texas, sent us to Delaware for a game beginning at 9 am in Portland. By the time the casual Portland football fan realized that the Vikings were playing, the game was basically over (the Hens scored on us early and often, the game was basically done by the half). The other time was the fiasco of 2006, when we were up there in the conference with both Montana and Montana State. We even had a victory over bowl bound New Mexico that year and were ranked 10th in the rankings at the end of the year, yet we were not selected for the playoffs. We were at least just as good at the Griz and Cats, both of which won their first round games. That team was, I believe, even better than 2000 and to this day, I felt we earned a shot at the playoffs. That year there was a large group of Portland media awaiting where PSU was going to play. That even generated some mail to the Oregonian sports desk, and a column by Canzano. I think (my opinion only) that was what led to Walsh leaving, that if that team could not get to the playoffs, no PSU team will ever get there.

I don't mean to rehash any of what happened in 2000 and 2006, whether we were slighted or not, it is all under the bridge and we all have moved on. Glanville does keep Portland State in the news, enough so that the buzz keeps going. He does stress patience and I hope the Portland media does let it play out. Only five players remain from the Walsh years and we are playing a lot of true freshmen this year. I say, if those freshmen get some games under them and Glanville is not run out of town by then, we may do alright in a couple years.

EdubAlum
September 25th, 2009, 04:06 PM

i agree, i also live in Portland, I don't see people starting in town to respect PSU unless they were to move to FBS. EWU has the same problem in the Spokane area. Put up as many billboards as you want, but i can't remember the last time i heard of a non PSU alumni (or someone affiliated with the university) going to a game. Many Big Sky schools have this problem, i suspect Sac state has the same issue we do

JALMOND
September 25th, 2009, 09:09 PM
i agree, i also live in Portland, I don't see people starting in town to respect PSU unless they were to move to FBS. EWU has the same problem in the Spokane area. Put up as many billboards as you want, but i can't remember the last time i heard of a non PSU alumni (or someone affiliated with the university) going to a game. Many Big Sky schools have this problem, i suspect Sac state has the same issue we do

For what its worth, I am not a PSU alum, nor am I affiliated with PSU. I actually grew up in Montana, never went to either UM or MSU. I have many friends and relatives who claim affiliation for one or the other. When I came out here, I started going to just PSU/UM and PSU/MSU games, then I realized that the Vikings had a pretty dang good program. So I gradually claimed them as my own. I moved here about 13 years ago and have been what could be called "die-hard" PSU fan since 1999.