PDA

View Full Version : MVC Week 4 Prediction Thread

Thumper 76
September 23rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
since noones started it yet:

YSU@Ind. St.-While I wish that the trees could beat someone this season, I dont think they do it this week after watching them not get past the 40 last week. 41-10

UNI@MSU-First real FCS test for UNI, who beat up on a transitional and a traditionally weak St. Francis. I think if MSU comes out and punches them in the mouth its going to be close, but UNI comes out on top. 24-21

NDSU@SIU-Unless the almighty God gives the bison a defense, I don't see them winning a shootout against the Salukis who have so many defensive players back from last years tough unit. 17-28

[email protected] to UNI the Jacks have yet to be put to the test and don't see the Redbirds quite giving them one yet this season, although its SDSU's first away game, they have already seen the spread this year in GSU and did well against it. I do feel that they have a good chance at being the first team to score a touchdown on the Jacks this season. 35-10

All conference games this week. Lets see what you guys think (or how long it takes for this thread to deteriorate into a UNI/NDSU pissing match xlolx).Theres my little overview, pick apart as you see fit :D:D:D

leatherneck177
September 23rd, 2009, 04:13 PM

YSU@Ind. St.-While I wish that the trees could beat someone this season, I dont think they do it this week after watching them not get past the 40 last week. 41-10

UNI@MSU-First real FCS test for UNI, who beat up on a transitional and a traditionally weak St. Francis. I think if MSU comes out and punches them in the mouth its going to be close, but UNI comes out on top. 24-21

NDSU@SIU-Unless the almighty God gives the bison a defense, I don't see them winning a shootout against the Salukis who have so many defensive players back from last years tough unit. 17-28

[email protected] to UNI the Jacks have yet to be put to the test and don't see the Redbirds quite giving them one yet this season, although its SDSU's first away game, they have already seen the spread this year in GSU and did well against it. I do feel that they have a good chance at being the first team to score a touchdown on the Jacks this season. 35-10

All conference games this week. Lets see what you guys think (or how long it takes for this thread to deteriorate into a UNI/NDSU pissing match xlolx).Theres my little overview, pick apart as you see fit :D:D:D

YSU over ISU BLUE 35-6
UNI over MSU 37-14
SIU over NDSU 27-21
SDSU over ISU RED 39-13

Saluki09
September 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
If we are winning by anything less than 14 at the half, there is a very good chance we lose... Look at our games from last year. We led UNI 24-7 at the half, NDSU 20-7 at the half, SDSU 35-21 at the half, Hampton 27-10 at the half... NDSU was the only road game of those and was the only one we lost (by 8 points), but the others were nail biters (game winning FG against UNI and game deciding FG at 3:00 against SDSU). And then there was Marshall this year, who we were beating 14-7 at the half, then proceeded to give up 21 in the third quarter. Crazy things happen in the Dale Lennon 3rd quarter.

UNIFanSince1983
September 23rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
YSU 42-6 The Sycamore are just not very good
UNI 34-10 UNI is too much for the Bears to handle (could also just be me being a homer :))
SIU 31-28 Close game comes down to a late field goal
SDSU 27-21 Closer than the experts think

Big Al
September 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hmm. I don't have anything to add other than

24-21 UNI over MSU?! xeekx

MSU will be sorely tested to get two scores on UNI and UNI will be sorely tested to get less than 5 on MSU. Bank it.

Oh, and I think the trees will give Y-town a scare but will ultimately fold like a deck of cards.

BisonBacker
September 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
YSU 42-6 The Sycamore are just not very good
UNI 34-10 UNI is too much for the Bears to handle (could also just be me being a homer :))
SIU 31-28 Close game comes down to a late field goal
SDSU 27-21 Closer than the experts think

I've seen several predictions here and elsewhere that have the NDSU SIU game being close. I'm not sure it will be so close. I think SIU gets by us by at least 2 tds. Our defense is young and inexperienced. I hope I'm wrong and we make a good game of it and even win but I've seen our defense the first three weeks and they scare the hell out of me (not in a good way). The rest of the scores you have I think are spot on.

MplsBison
September 23rd, 2009, 04:58 PM
YSU
MSU
NDSU
SDSU

Thumper 76
September 23rd, 2009, 04:59 PM

MSU will be sorely tested to get two scores on UNI and UNI will be sorely tested to get less than 5 on MSU. Bank it.

Oh, and I think the trees will give Y-town a scare but will ultimately fold like a deck of cards.

I can very well see it happening if the team has the same attitude that their fans have, and I'm sure MSU has something else to prove after last year, looking for retribution for the beatdown perhaps? So your predicting that UNI will most likely have 42-50 points? xconfusedx Yesh thats a heck of a amount to expect to score, even against the trees. xrolleyesx I just think that the Bears are decent this year and you guys have only played Iowa so we haven't seen you play a decent FCS team this year. A good performance against a FBS doesn't guarantee you will walk all over every other decent team. I.E. Villanova (ranked above you FYIxrulesx) after beating Temple (granted not quite Iowa, but still FBS team) and then barely beating Penn last week. It can happen.xwhistlex Especially since even your fans were commenting on how flat the team was last week against St. Francis xrulesx But we'll hafta see how it turns out. xcoffeex

joecooll6
September 23rd, 2009, 05:41 PM
I'm tiring of our fans getting angry at people who pick us to win but not by enough of a margin. They arent all going to be easy W's guys and MSU is pretty good this year. Eventually were going to have to eat our collective words.

MSUBear42
September 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM

Oh, and I think the trees will give Y-town a scare but will ultimately fold like a deck of cards.Not saying we will win, but don't get too big headed.

RabidRabbit
September 23rd, 2009, 08:22 PM
YSU over ISU BLUE 30-16
UNI over MSU 37-14
SIU over NDSU 37-21
SDSU over ISU RED 39-13

Pant8her
September 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
I'm tiring of our fans getting angry at people who pick us to win but not by enough of a margin. They arent all going to be easy W's guys and MSU is pretty good this year. Eventually were going to have to eat our collective words.

Ditto!xsmhx

skinny_uncle
September 23rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
I've seen several predictions here and elsewhere that have the NDSU SIU game being close. I'm not sure it will be so close. I think SIU gets by us by at least 2 tds. Our defense is young and inexperienced. I hope I'm wrong and we make a good game of it and even win but I've seen our defense the first three weeks and they scare the hell out of me (not in a good way). The rest of the scores you have I think are spot on.
This game should be a treat to anyone who likes watching a good running back perform. Paschall of NDSU and Karim of SIU currently rank @ #1 and #2 in yards/game in the FCS.

top rushers (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&rpt=IAA_playerrush&site=org&div=IAA&dest=O)

jmc_jackrabbit
September 23rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
YSU over ISU BLUE 27-3 (ISU has NO offense at all.)
UNI over MSU 28-10
SIU over NDSU 31-27 (but I'll be rooting for the Bison)
SDSU over ISU RED 24-10

Jacks have seen the spread already this year, from GSU. I would guess GSU has more athletes than ISU-Red. SDSU's defense sets the tone and the offense is its normal, efficient self.

dlsiouxfan
September 23rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
This week it looks like the have's play against the have-not's

Youngstown State over Indiana State 28-0
Northern Iowa over Missour State 35-7
SIU over NDSU 51-7
SDSU over Illinois State 33-14

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
So your predicting that UNI will most likely have 42-50 points?

Have you looked at our recent scores against them? xrulesx

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Not saying we will win, but don't get too big headed.

If we are the team that everyone thinks we are (top 5 in every poll), then we should score 5 TDs.

Native
September 23rd, 2009, 11:18 PM

Not a real test for UNI. This week's Sagarin predictor score gives the Panthers a 4 TD advantage.

Salukis are favored by 2 TDs.

Jacks are an 8 point favorite on the road.

SIUallDay
September 24th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Youngstown State over Indiana State
Northern Iowa over Missouri State
SIU over NDSU
SDSU over Illinois State

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Not a real test for UNI. This week's Sagarin predictor score gives the Panthers a 4 TD advantage.

Salukis are favored by 2 TDs.

Jacks are an 8 point favorite on the road.

Im sorry i guess I should have said that this could be something of a trap game for UNI. Should they win big? Of course. Will they? Yet to be seen. I just personally believe that MSU is going to initially surprise them, and UNI eventually gets the game under control. But we shall see xcoffeex

Khan4Cats
September 24th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Im sorry i guess I should have said that this could be something of a trap game for UNI. Should they win big? Of course. Will they? Yet to be seen. I just personally believe that MSU is going to initially surprise them, and UNI eventually gets the game under control. But we shall see xcoffeex

I'm not sure this is a trap game for UNI. Doubt the guys are looking past the Bears towards Indiana State (or at least the guys who are looking forward to playing the Sycamores probably aren't on the travel squad for this week).

I really see this game as being similar to two years ago. Semi-close in the first half and then UNI putting it away in the 2nd. Without some breaks, I don't see MSU scoring more than 17 on UNI and I think UNI will put up more than enough to win.

And as for your comment about even UNI fans admitting the team looked flat last week, well we did and they were. They also only gave up 147 yards of total offense and pitched a shut-out.xrulesx

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM
You may very well be right. I don't think I've said that you guys can't and shouldn't smoke them, its jus a gut feeling I have I guess. If I'm wrong, o well its just a prediction thread anyways. But if it makes you feel better I will eat my crow when/if the cats smoke them. I just think you guys get really kinda bent out of shape when I'm just giving the other team some credit. Is it unwarranted credit? Mabey. I could end up looking and sounding like a total tool after this game :D. And remember, I'm not being like the USD guys who claimed an upset, I just think it will be closer that people think. Not necissarily a 3 pt game, but I don't feel that UNI will win by 3-4 td's like it sounds like most of you feel will happen. O well. Makes a fun discussion though!

TCisMYhero
September 24th, 2009, 10:03 AM
NDSU sucks.

unigriff
September 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Paschall will get under 150 yards rushing. SIU by 15

TCisMYhero
September 24th, 2009, 10:21 AM
SIU by 42.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2580/3819837002_3099baec98.jpg

CDT_Wilson
September 24th, 2009, 10:42 AM
UNI has a lot to prove after a lack luster performance last week. I know Farley wasn't happy and that usually means a fired up panther squad on Saturday. That being said you never know what these kids are thinking. The SDU touchdown got them fired up so maybe the St Francis film review did the same.

SumItUp
September 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I watched the MSU/Arkansas game and went to the Georgia/Arkansas game last week. The Arkansas offense is loaded this year. It can be difficult to gauge the results of a game against an FBS squad. I think think the MSU squad could surprise a few people.

UNI wins by a field goal.

Chi Panther
September 24th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I think TA is great he helped build the UNI program to where it is today. But for those of you who don't understand the difference between TA and Farley, it is this: Farley's teams are Tough Defense (stop the run first) and Balanced on Offense. TA is a finesse offesne guy. He is a players coach. I don't think his teams have the same mental toughness. Now this doesn't mean a TA team can't beat a Farley team this year or in the future....but I have my money on a Farley team. TA will probably have to throw some gimmick plays at us to keep it close.

I will go with 27 to 17 this week, UNI winning.

Gil Dobie
September 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM
All double digit wins IMO

YSU
UNI
SIU - Love to see an upset, but I haven't seen anything from the "D" yet
SDSU

Gil Dobie
September 24th, 2009, 12:38 PM
If we are the team that everyone thinks we are (top 5 in every poll), then we should score 5 TDs.

......or more.......xwhistlex

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I predict more Panther/Bison arguing. :D

I-AA Fan
September 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I watched the MSU/Arkansas game and went to the Georgia/Arkansas game last week. The Arkansas offense is loaded this year. It can be difficult to gauge the results of a game against an FBS squad. I think think the MSU squad could surprise a few people.

UNI wins by a field goal.

Good observation. This may not be the week ...but there will be more than one of them for SMS. ILS has me concerned, and I may have overestimated WIU ...they seem to have ground issues on offense.

joecooll6
September 24th, 2009, 02:16 PM
The UNI/MSU game will tell us more about both teams than any of the games played so far.

onbison09
September 24th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I agree with most of the picks on here. It's going to be interesting when the Jacks face some adversity how they respond though. If they're not up for this game it could mean trouble. Stig should have them pumped though. Hell of a coach.

Thunderstruck84
September 24th, 2009, 03:59 PM
SIU 223
NDSU 0

Youngstown, UNI, and SDSU win the other games.

ValleyChamp
September 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
SIU 223
NDSU 0

Youngstown, UNI, and SDSU win the other games.

Your dreaming if you think the bison can hold SIU to 223.xcoolx

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM
We learn a bit more about everyone this week. The SDSU/ISU game might not tell us much, unless of course the Jacks lose, which I doubt.

UNI Pike
September 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM
We learn a bit more about everyone this week. The SDSU/ISU game might not tell us much, unless of course the Jacks lose, which I doubt.

Unfortunately I think Rob is right on this - the cards are looking mediocre at best so far. Fast forward a week or two for a more telling test of SDSU.

RabidRabbit
September 24th, 2009, 05:43 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens with all three of the rated MVFC teams. There is strong potential for blow-outs in all three of the games. It will also be a bit of a measure of the rest of the conference. Is there anyone that can challenge?

Only YSU and WIU will remain as unknown within the MVFC after this week. Unless ISU Blue makes a game of it in Youngstown.

TheBisonator
September 25th, 2009, 12:35 PM
You ONLY think we're going to allow SIU to score 28 points?? xlolxxlolxxlolx

I see this as more like a 42-35 SIU win.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2009, 12:58 PM
We have the talent on D. That's not our problem. Our problem is getting those guys experience playing together and getting confidence.

I think as the season goes on, our coaches will figure out how to put our guys in the best position to make the play.

Khan4Cats
September 25th, 2009, 01:48 PM
We have the talent on D. That's not our problem. Our problem is getting those guys experience playing together and getting confidence.

I think as the season goes on, our coaches will figure out how to put our guys in the best position to make the play.

We have the same problem. Hopefully our freshman in the secondary will be able to start putting it together soon. 8 points a game is way too much.xwhistlex

Oh crap, another comment that's semi-positive about UNI.

xcoffeex

I-AA Fan
September 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens with all three of the rated MVFC teams. There is strong potential for blow-outs in all three of the games. It will also be a bit of a measure of the rest of the conference. Is there anyone that can challenge?

Only YSU and WIU will remain as unknown within the MVFC after this week. Unless ISU Blue makes a game of it in Youngstown.

Actually the game is in Terre Haute ...which is a concern for a YSU squad that could not do anything in the first half against a Northeastern team that is probably just as bad as ISU. The Penguins need to play a game and control it for 4-quarters ..this would be a good time. Remember, the only thing worse than going 0-31 is the be the team that let them go 1-30.

darell1976
September 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM
YSU
UNI
SIU (Dale Lennon gets revenge from last year's game)
SDSU

Gil Dobie
September 26th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Your dreaming if you think the bison can hold SIU to 223.xcoolx

4th Qtr and SIU is still working on the 23 xwhistlex

ValleyChamp
September 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM
lol

Gil Dobie
September 26th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Paschall will get under 150 yards rushing. SIU by 15

Paschall 150 yards, SIU by 10

ValleyChamp
September 26th, 2009, 08:58 PM
You lost by double digits, and you are acting like thats a victory.

Gil Dobie
September 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
You lost by double digits, and you are acting like thats a victory.

xlmaox xlolx xlmaox xlolx xlmaox xlolx xlmaox

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM

It appears that my picks were all right and went like this:

A) way off
B) way off, my apologies to the UNI crowd whom i dared doubt xbowxxlolx
C) really close to correct
D) really close to correct

horray

UNIFanSince1983
September 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I was pretty off with all my scores, but I picked all the right winners :)

PantherRob82
September 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
It appears that my picks were all right and went like this:

A) way off
B) way off, my apologies to the UNI crowd whom i dared doubt xbowxxlolx
C) really close to correct
D) really close to correct

horray

Great picks, Thumper. Rare that we get new posters that are enjoyable.

Big Al
September 26th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Damn, it feels good to be so close on UNI but it hurts so bad to be so right about the Trees. I'm really starting to feel bad for those guys.

Not bad enough to cheer for them next weekend but bad all the same.

CDT_Wilson
September 27th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Paschall 150 yards, SIU by 10

So Iowa had 87 yards rushing, SDU had 113, St Francis had 40, and MSU had 69, do you really think that Paschall will get over 100 yards in two weeks when UNI plays NDSU? I am thinking no. Have to remember that UNI's iffy spot on D is their secondary. Four games in they don't look so iffy.

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Great picks, Thumper. Rare that we get new posters that are enjoyable.

Thanks Rob, I spent about a year or so reading this board and others so I (hopefully) didn't act like a total douche :D

JackTwice
September 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks Rob, I spent about a year or so reading this board and others so I (hopefully) didn't act like a total douche :D

Ah but then you'd fit right in with many here Thumper xlolx

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Ah but then you'd fit right in with many here Thumper xlolx

xlolx true that, but then I would only fit in on here and would be scorned and disowned by my brethrin on sdsufans xbawlingx so I shall continue trying to avoid douche-baggary xlolx