PDA

View Full Version : Elon vs. GSU

PhoenixMan
September 23rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
Jus read an interesting tidbit about this game. If Elon beats GSU Saturday they will become ONLY the second SoCon team to ever defeat the Eagles 3 consecutive times. (App. St. did it in 95, 96, 97). I think this is going to be a great game to watch.xnodx

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
I think GSU's playoff lives depend on it.

Elon got lucky not to face the Eagles with regularity circa Erk Russell to Mike Sewak. :) That's not to slight the Phoneix either. There's a reason GSU didn't lose much.

danefan
September 23rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bull Fan
September 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
dane, don't you want GSU to win? You should be pulling for your opponents as to boost your strength of schedule. Unless, of course, you have some other ulterior motive ;)

AppAlum2003
September 23rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Any TV coverage on this one?

ASUG8
September 23rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
My heart says Eagles, but my head says Fried Chickens if GSU can't limit the pass.

phoenix3
September 23rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Not on Sports South.

danefan
September 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
dane, don't you want GSU to win? You should be pulling for your opponents as to boost your strength of schedule. Unless, of course, you have some other ulterior motive ;)

That's who I'm pulling for - GSU. xconfusedx

http://teenormous.com/images/t-shirts/images.footballfanatics.com/130/productImages-_345000-FF_345232_l.jpg

PhoenixMan
September 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Any TV coverage on this one?

No TV. Sports South doesn't have any SoCon game this week, but they will have a game of the week the rest of the season.

Bull Fan
September 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Duh.... brain fart. ;)

WestCoastAggie
September 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
GO FIGHTIN' CHRISTIANS!!!! I'm sorry Elon but you should've never changed your mascot!

ElonPride
September 23rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
GO FIGHTIN' CHRISTIANS!!!! I'm sorry Elon but you should've never changed your mascot!

NO *****! Some of us are still pretty upset about that one.....

Also, Phoenixman, why did you jinx the game?

Bull Fan
September 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Fighting Christians
Flying Dutchmen

Two great names gone by the wayside.

PhoenixMan
September 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
NO *****! Some of us are still pretty upset about that one.....

Also, Phoenixman, why did you jinx the game?
I liked Fightin' Christians also....but a lot of folks thought it hurt recruiting as kids thought they were going to Liberty or somewhere with curfews, dress codes, etc...no jinx, just an interesting fact to share. xrulesx I think we will make it 3 in a row, but it will be a battle start to finish.

mrklean
September 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
GATA!!!!!!!!!!

ElonPride
September 23rd, 2009, 03:46 PM
I liked Fightin' Christians also....but a lot of folks thought it hurt recruiting as kids thought they were going to Liberty or somewhere with curfews, dress codes, etc...no jinx, just an interesting fact to share. xrulesx I think we will make it 3 in a row, but it will be a battle start to finish.

I was under the impression that it was because of NCAA pressure or rule, not because they thought it hurt recruitng. Jay Mohr did a good commentary a few years back on ESPN about it.

appmaj
September 23rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Eloan wins @ home

Thumper 76
September 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
Go GSU :D Show the SOCON your better than they think!

PhoenixMan
September 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
I was under the impression that it was because of NCAA pressure or rule, not because they thought it hurt recruitng. Jay Mohr did a good commentary a few years back on ESPN about it.

Could have been some NCAA pressure, I didn't know about that. I do know that when President Lambert came on board, and they changed to University, he commented on the name being a problem recruiting in general, and not just athletics.

Bull Fan
September 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
There is the Ohio Wesleyan Battling Bishops. The NCAA should stay the f'ck out of nickname issues.

PhoenixMan
September 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
There is the Ohio Wesleyan Battling Bishops. The NCAA should stay the f'ck out of nickname issues.

Not to mention the Demon Deacons (I really hate mentioning them after last saturday)

PhoenixSupreme
September 23rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
I had always heard about the Furman University Christian Knights (and the unfortunate acronym). But I've also heard that was a joke and never really existed.

LacesOut
September 23rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Lets go Elon!

/got nuthin else...

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 23rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
xthumbsupx

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 23rd, 2009, 08:54 PM

I don't think so, my understanding was always that it wasn't because of any NCAA pressure, church pressure, or policitally correctness. It was more a case of when they switched to Div 1 and started playing the Big-Time National level schools they got bad publicity about it everywhere they went. All of the opposing students and the media would make jokes about the name.

Also, recruits were turned off by it. I know one of my old employees told me that was a big reason that he didn't go there to play football.

I always thought it was cool and original..... and I'm an Atheist.

Also, myself and all of my alumni friends still refer to them as "The Christians" and most of us won't buy or use any ELON materials with the new logo. I know of people who have since gotten t-shirts made with Fightin Christian logo. ( I think his name was Sam. Anyone know if that is correct).

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 23rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
The legend.....

SaintDK10
September 23rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
This thread is confusing. Every time someone mentions GSU I'm thinking they're talking about the Real GSU:

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs240.snc1/8735_648283891947_22623867_37052015_680788_n.jpg

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 23rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
This thread is confusing. Every time someone mentions GSU I'm thinking they're talking about the Real GSU:

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs240.snc1/8735_648283891947_22623867_37052015_680788_n.jpg

Welcome to the board, knob. 'Round these parts, GSU = Georgia Southern. Get used to it. xrulesx

SaintDK10
September 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Welcome to the board, knob. 'Round these parts, GSU = Georgia Southern. Get used to it. xrulesx
I hate to break it to you chief, but unlike Southern which became a university last decade, Georgia State has been an actual university for half a century now, everywhere, including 'round these parts. You just haven't seen me post here to remind you about it. Don't worry, you will from now on.xcoffeex

BTW, nice short bus you Statesboro fans got there. That explains a lot.

danefan
September 23rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
I hate to break it to you chief, but unlike Southern which became a university last decade, Georgia State has been an actual university for half a century now, everywhere, including 'round these parts. You just haven't seen me post here to remind you about it. Don't worry, you will from now on.xcoffeex

Gonna need to back it up on a truck for this one.

http://web.orange.co.uk/images/ice/film/orange_wednesdays_0f45e1398d0688332de50a94dcebdcd7 .jpg

Georgia State fans.....talk as much crap as you can now....ODU already made your transition look silly and it can only get worse when you play your first game in a 10% full Georgia Dome.

introvertedGSUfan
September 23rd, 2009, 09:54 PM

Hahah, wow. The only problem in your logic is that we've had a football program for quite some time and that's what everyone is going use the acronym for.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM

And Southern was founded before State was.

Not that anyone here is going to care the dates the schools were founded or achieved university status. Most here will assume you mean GSU and most of the rest will assume Grambling State.

proasu89
September 23rd, 2009, 10:08 PM

xnutsx

eaglewraith
September 23rd, 2009, 10:19 PM

Yea...and you're on a football board.

When you say GSU around these guys...they think about the unprecedented 6 national championships.

What have you got?

seantaylor
September 23rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
Georgia State is an absolute joke. Ugliest campus in the country sitting right in the ghetto. Isn't everyone at State over 35?

APP SHOOTER
September 23rd, 2009, 10:43 PM

When you say GSU around these guys...they think about the unprecedented 6 national championships.

What have you got?

I'll tell you what you do have down there in that middle of nowhere in the state of Georgia. Last year was my first time down there and while walking around the field before game getting ready to shoot the game We were called just say a little bit of everything before the game even started. Towards the end of game I turned around to see my check on my trusty GSU fan that was really cussing us . Guess what he was gone, no where to be found. Suppose he could not stand seeing his Short school bus ridin GSU footbsll team getting their A$$ getting handed to them. Maybe not all of your fans S#$%K just most of them. Thats what YOU got down there for sure. Tell your buds If they come up here next month talking that trash it wil be a LONG ride home to the middle of nowhere

PhoenixMan
September 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Not to offend the guy....but I honestly didn't know what team the helmet belonged to. I thought Grambling State, but knew the color scheme was off. Is Georgia State FCS, what conference?

SaintDK10
September 23rd, 2009, 10:56 PM
And Southern was founded before State was.

Not that anyone here is going to care the dates the schools were founded or achieved university status. Most here will assume you mean GSU and most of the rest will assume Grambling State.
Let me try to explain this in plain English. Grambling and Southern were both founded before Georgia State, but Georgia State became a university before Grambling and Southern ever did. We were the first, the true G-S-U and always will be. And yeah, there's about 180,000 Georgia State Alumni that do care.

SaintDK10
September 23rd, 2009, 11:19 PM

What have you got?
What do we got? Well, for starters we have a real university that has produced more Fortune 500 CEOs than any school in the world. You know, guys like Ken Lewis, the CEO of Bank of America.

And while being less than a year away from our first football game, we do have a world class professional facility and a head coach that won ACC Coach of the Year, SEC Coach of the Year and National Coach of the Year. At QB we have the second highest passer in Georgia HS history surrounded by multiple recruits that turned down FBS offers. Heck even some of our walk-ons are transfers from FBS schools. BTW, we have a walk-on from Southern, kid named Brad Chahoy. I don't think he'll make the final cut. Was he any good at Southern?

And I gotta tell ya, I love how Southern fans keep regurgitating their hayday years, but I posted that helmet there for one reason, and one reason only, and that is to royally pi$$ off every Southern fan on this board because there are over a hundred thousand GSU fans here in Atlanta that are sick and tired of the cesspool from Statesboro using our GSU letters.

So what do we got? We gotta a helluva start. Let's see what we got five years from now.

Phoenixrising
September 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
SaintDK10,

Regardless of whether or not GSU has been a university longer, your program hasn't been nearly as successful or prestigious as Georgia Southern. There are plenty of schools that share acronyms, obvious ones that come to mind are South Carolina and Southern California. But until South Carolina comes away with a victory over USC or a national championship, they will always be South Carolina everywhere except for maybe alum and SC proper.

So quit your grumbling, and either earn your letters, or contribute something useful to a thread about Elon and GSU's pretty big game coming up this Saturday.

I’m really excited about this game, this is brewing into quite a rivalry! I hope we can put 'em in their place while they are still young! There is a lot of talent on both these teams (as is the case with most of the SOCON, all this talk of the conference getting weaker is a bit disconcerting - just cause App is looking mortal and the conference is evening out, doesnt make it weak, on the contrary, I feel that it means we're getting stronger, especially when we beat teams out of conference - and before everyone jumps down my throat, I'm well aware that Elon had an incredibly easy, and almost useless early season leading into Wake with Presby and Davidson) and I can't wait to see some great competition in Rhodes.

GO PHOENIX!!!!

SaintDK10
September 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Georgia State is an absolute joke. Ugliest campus in the country sitting right in the ghetto. Isn't everyone at State over 35?
A guy from friggin' Southern calling another school's campus ugly? Now that's just priceless! xlolxxlolxxlolx

Hey, isn't age 35 the average life expectancy at Statesboro?

SaintDK10
September 23rd, 2009, 11:33 PM
Phoenix, my apologies, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Good luck to Elon. Please kick the **** out of Southern this weekend.

introvertedGSUfan
September 23rd, 2009, 11:37 PM
I'll tell you what you do have down there in that middle of nowhere in the state of Georgia. Last year was my first time down there and while walking around the field before game getting ready to shoot the game We were called just say a little bit of everything before the game even started. Towards the end of game I turned around to see my check on my trusty GSU fan that was really cussing us . Guess what he was gone, no where to be found. Suppose he could not stand seeing his Short school bus ridin GSU footbsll team getting their A$$ getting handed to them. Maybe not all of your fans S#$%K just most of them. Thats what YOU got down there for sure. Tell your buds If they come up here next month talking that trash it wil be a LONG ride home to the middle of nowhere

I saw PLENTY of trash talking towards GSU fans up at App in 2007, my friend. Things don't always flow in one direction. xrolleyesx

SaintDK10, you're begging for a banning if your only intention is to come into threads and dispute who gets to use the GSU acronym. Not an intelligent way to start posting on the most popular FCS board.

Eaglesrus
September 24th, 2009, 06:02 AM
.....we'll be renting a world class professional facility......

Fixed it for you.

Eaglesrus
September 24th, 2009, 06:10 AM

I saw PLENTY of trash talking towards GSU fans up at App in 2007, my friend. Things don't always flow in one direction. xrolleyesx

SaintDK10, you're begging for a banning if your only intention is to come into threads and dispute who gets to use the GSU acronym. Not an intelligent way to start posting on the most popular FCS board.

Yeah, the five of us 55ish GSU fans (including 3 women) who were shown the finger and had numerous expletives shouted our way from cars passing on King Street in Boone in 2007 can witness to the fact that App State has its share of idiots as well. Looking forward to as long a ride home this year as it was in '07.

Oh, and this happened before the game, so it wasn't after your team had their "A$$ handed to them" as you say APP SHOOTER. Would have been a bit more understandable if it had happened afterwards.

gophoenix
September 24th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Not to offend the guy....but I honestly didn't know what team the helmet belonged to. I thought Grambling State, but knew the color scheme was off. Is Georgia State FCS, what conference?

Next your, independent first then left to be seen. CAA thinks they are getting them. Sources tell me Coastal and Georgia State go SoCon.

eaglewraith
September 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM

So you barely making it out of Statesboro with a 1 pt win is getting our ass handed to us?

eaglewraith
September 24th, 2009, 08:09 AM
What do we got? Well, for starters we have a real university that has produced more Fortune 500 CEOs than any school in the world. You know, guys like Ken Lewis, the CEO of Bank of America.

And while being less than a year away from our first football game, we do have a world class professional facility and a head coach that won ACC Coach of the Year, SEC Coach of the Year and National Coach of the Year. At QB we have the second highest passer in Georgia HS history surrounded by multiple recruits that turned down FBS offers. Heck even some of our walk-ons are transfers from FBS schools. BTW, we have a walk-on from Southern, kid named Brad Chahoy. I don't think he'll make the final cut. Was he any good at Southern?

And I gotta tell ya, I love how Southern fans keep regurgitating their hayday years, but I posted that helmet there for one reason, and one reason only, and that is to royally pi$$ off every Southern fan on this board because there are over a hundred thousand GSU fans here in Atlanta that are sick and tired of the cesspool from Statesboro using our GSU letters.

So what do we got? We gotta a helluva start. Let's see what we got five years from now.

Blah blah blah Fortune 500 blah blah blah geriatric coach blah blah blah

Once again...we're talking about football, what have you done ON THE FIELD??

What does it matter what a kid did in high school? Doesn't guarantee success. And the reason you have so many players turning down FBS offers is because they'll be able to play immediately next year instead of riding the bench somewhere else because you only have one recruiting class of kids who are totally inexperienced in college football.

One day, GSU and Ga State will play...and you'll learn then who the true GSU is.

Ivytalk
September 24th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I'm with danefan, but for different reasons: Go, Eagles!

Gotta stick with my AGS buds from GSU here.xpeacex

Eaglesrus
September 24th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I'm with danefan, but for different reasons: Go, Eagles!

Gotta stick with my AGS buds from GSU here.xpeacex

Thanks to you and Danefan, It. Really looking forward to seeing you down here soon!

danefan
September 24th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Next your, independent first then left to be seen. CAA thinks they are getting them. Sources tell me Coastal and Georgia State go SoCon.

They're charter members of the CAA all-sports. Are you saying they're moving out of the CAA in all-sports?

BTW - I'd love to see that.

blueballs
September 24th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by SaintDK10
.....we'll be renting a world class professional facility......

Fixed it for you. Fixed it for you.

I can't wait to see the first Ga St game in the cavernous Ga Dome with their handful of fans- more like curious onlookers, kinda' like gawkers cruising by an accident scene- "packing" the 80,000 seat facility.

The game itself will likely be a cluster f--k of errors because every time the quarterback says "hut" it will echo and cause both teams to jump... there might be 50 penalties.

As for Brad Chahoy, he never sniffed the field at GSU.

When GaST wins as many games as GSU has won titles we might begin to even feign interest in an upstart right in the middle of Tech and UGA country.

To the App shooter guy, if you think a couple of GSU fans are bad why don't you put on a GSU shirt and walk around Boone on GSU/App gameday? At least the GSU folks don't vandalize their opponents cars, throw stuff at children, vandalize the other teams' buses and destroy their postgame meals... sticks and stones, know what I mean?

PS: I wouldn't be bragging too much on Ken Lewis right about now... that whole Merrill Lynch thing, you know???xwhistlex

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Boy that Ga State guy better figure out two things. Where the smack board is, and hes gotta get used to being Ga State instead of GSU cause no one will care how much he complains that their the "real" GSU, the GSU we all know is Southern, and the more he complains the more people like me will purposely call it how he doesn't like it.

eaglewithabus
September 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Funny how there are "180,000 alumni in the Atlanta area who care about gaystate" but theyve only managed to drum up one poster on the fcs message board. I can just feel the excitement.

GaSouthern
September 24th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Elon is going to win :(

gophoenix
September 24th, 2009, 11:42 AM
They're charter members of the CAA all-sports. Are you saying they're moving out of the CAA in all-sports?

BTW - I'd love to see that.

I'm just saying wait and see.... Georgia State isn't a charter member of the CAA. They weren't even a charter member of the Trans-America conference.

ASUG8
September 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Poor choice of posts for your second one. xnonox

GSU fans, we're not all like this. Please accept our apologies. xthumbsupx

danefan
September 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm just saying wait and see.... Georgia State isn't a charter member of the CAA. They weren't even a charter member of the Trans-America conference.

Charter member was perhaps the wrong term - they were a full member when CAA Football was formed and thus they are technically a charter member of the CAA football conference (e.g. they are guaranteed access to the CAA Football Conference if they want it).

There's a $250,000 penalty for leaving the CAA in all sports.

Don't get me wrong, it makes sense for GA St. to be in the SoCon, especially for football. I just haven't heard or seen anything other than the CAA preparing for a 14-team conference, which would include GA St.

Eaglesrus
September 24th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Poor choice of posts for your second one. xnonox

GSU fans, we're not all like this. Please accept our apologies. xthumbsupx

Hey, no problem as far as I'm concerned ASUG8; I do hope that APP SHOOTER got the point that several of us tried to make that pretty much all of us have some of those types of fans. I wonder if there is a correlation between how successful a team is (or has been) and how many of those fans they attract?

Anyway, as much as I hate to say it I think that Elon's gonna take this one Saturday, I just hope that our guys continue to show improvement.

WestCoastAggie
September 24th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Funny how there are "180,000 alumni in the Atlanta area who care about gaystate" but theyve only managed to drum up one poster on the fcs message board. I can just feel the excitement.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

OL FU
September 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Boy that Ga State guy better figure out two things. Where the smack board is, and hes gotta get used to being Ga State instead of GSU cause no one will care how much he complains that their the "real" GSU, the GSU we all know is Southern, and the more he complains the more people like me will purposely call it how he doesn't like it.

I thought GSU is Gramblingxsmiley_wix

gophoenix
September 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Charter member was perhaps the wrong term - they were a full member when CAA Football was formed and thus they are technically a charter member of the CAA football conference (e.g. they are guaranteed access to the CAA Football Conference if they want it).

There's a $250,000 penalty for leaving the CAA in all sports.

Don't get me wrong, it makes sense for GA St. to be in the SoCon, especially for football. I just haven't heard or seen anything other than the CAA preparing for a 14-team conference, which would include GA St.

I am sure, $250k is pretty small. Elon paid the same thing to leave the Big South after 1 year of football there (to which they created that conference for Elon and Liberty originally anyway). The cost is nominal.

Samford was the first addition
Coastal and Georgia State are a package later

There was a reason that Coastal was all hyped up to be part of the SoCon and it quieted down to virtually nothing.

Georgia State will spend 2 years as independent before being considered part of the CAA football conference.

ESPN reported on this before Samford was admitted also....

danefan
September 24th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I am sure, $250k is pretty small. Elon paid the same thing to leave the Big South after 1 year of football there (to which they created that conference for Elon and Liberty originally anyway). The cost is nominal.

Samford was the first addition
Coastal and Georgia State are a package later

There was a reason that Coastal was all hyped up to be part of the SoCon and it quieted down to virtually nothing.

Georgia State will spend 2 years as independent before being considered part of the CAA football conference.

ESPN reported on this before Samford was admitted also....

I hope that's the case. That would leave the CAA at an odd number for football in the North. I can think of a few teams willing to fill that spot. xreadx

soweagle
September 24th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Georgia State is playing football??? I thought they were a nursing home. Doesn't seem fair to put those old guys out on the field with 18-22 y.olds.

PhoenixSupreme
September 24th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I think, like the recent scores of this series indicate, this game will be essentially too close to call. I'm not chickening out on a prediction, but I think this game will either go into overtime, or it will be a Elon 31-30 win. I'm probably gonna bet on the first scenario happening though.

Aho_Old_Guy
September 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM
PS: I wouldn't be bragging too much on Ken Lewis right about now... that whole Merrill Lynch thing, you know???xwhistlex

Ol' Ken may soon be returning to Georgia State (federal penitentiary) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Penitentiary,_Atlanta) if his fingerprints are on the Merrill Lynch bonuses.

Maybe he can bunk with Bernie Madoff xlolx

edit:

GSU Eagles FTW v Elon. They can't be as bad as they were last week ...

can they ???

GSU EAGLES
September 24th, 2009, 07:24 PM

Bill Curry better be careful at Ga State. He thought he had it rough at the Alabama campus where they threw a brick through a window at his house. On Ga State's campus he better be careful as there are some serious gangsta's and thugs in that part of the ATL that are packin' more than bricks. What makes it real tricky is that its hard to tell who the thugs are and who the students are so you are really on pins and needles down there. I live in the ATL and made the mistake of going to that part of the city in the middle of the day on a Sat. Lets just say I thank God i made it out alive. I saw a guy bust out a window of a city Govt car and steal a laptop off of the front seat. All this during a 5 minute walk. The students that are on campus don't mind as most of them grew up right around there. The majority of the students are suburban commuters that duck for cover once a week and head into the war zone for the sake of a diploma. God have mercy on their souls.

This is from their own school newspaper:

http://media.www.gsusignal.com/media/storage/paper924/news/2009/04/21/News/Georgia.State.Area.Has.Highest.Crime.Rate.In.City-3722070.shtml#4

GATA
September 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM

boohoo...you got cursed at during a football game...let me break out the pity party streamers (sorry JMU). Trust me moron, App State fans aren't so kind to visitors either...so suck it up you scrub.

P.S. A 1 point win is GSU getting their A$$ handed to them? OK...gotcha.

GATA
September 24th, 2009, 07:58 PM
For all this talk about how great a school the "Real GSU" is...I've never run into a person who graduated high school in the state of Georgia who couldn't get into Georgia State OR Georgia Southern.

It's not like we're talking about Harvard and Yale here...let's be serious.

It's cute that Georgia State has a football program now, but save the garbage about Georgia State being an awesome school...nobody cares and nobody is buying it...especially in Georgia.

The campuses are drastically different. Kids usually just make the choice between Georgia State and GSU based on what they're looking for from the campus and the "college experience"...It's pretty much the same difference between Clemson and South Carolina...do you like the city or the country?

phoenix3
September 24th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Georgia State is playing football??? I thought they were a nursing home. Doesn't seem fair to put those old guys out on the field with 18-22 y.olds.

xlmaoxxlmaox

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2009, 09:16 PM
For all this talk about how great a school the "Real GSU" is...I've never run into a person who graduated high school in the state of Georgia who couldn't get into Georgia State OR Georgia Southern.

It's not like we're talking about Harvard and Yale here...let's be serious.

It's cute that Georgia State has a football program now, but save the garbage about Georgia State being an awesome school...nobody cares and nobody is buying it...especially in Georgia.

The campuses are drastically different. Kids usually just make the choice between Georgia State and GSU based on what they're looking for from the campus and the "college experience"...It's pretty much the same difference between Clemson and South Carolina...do you like the city or the country?

As a Georgian, I've never viewed Ga State as an academic bastion. They fall into that same category of middle tier Georgia public schools (which includes a whole slew of institutions not named Georgia Tech or UGA). They may have a bit of an edge in some instances because they have a law school and other prominent graduate programs.

I don't think Ga State will stay long in the CAA. They would be dead middle of the SoCon footprint and I think, after a while, that will be too inviting to pass up.

CrackerRiley
September 24th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Prediction: Elon 34 GSU (standing for Georgia Southern University) 17

Why? no reason.... well mostly because I dislike GSU more... xwhistlex

seantaylor
September 24th, 2009, 09:56 PM
When did the Georgia Dome become a world class pro facility? It is easily one of the worst 5 NFL stadiums.

phoenixphanatic21
September 24th, 2009, 10:00 PM
When did the Georgia Dome become a world class pro facility? It is easily one of the worst 5 NFL stadiums.

When Georgia State decided they wanted a football team.

GATA
September 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM

The Georgia Dome is pretty ****ty. And it will look terrible to have 1,000 people to see a Ga. State game in there.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/fansurvey/2008/stadium.html

elon77
September 25th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I thought this was an Elon vs Georgia Southern thread, not a Georgia Southern vs Georgia State thread. Dang, where did I miss something?

Native
September 25th, 2009, 08:58 AM

OK. Good luck. Welcome to the board.

Smack is posted in a separate section.

This is the Elon-GSU thread.

C ya!

Native
September 25th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Using the "predictor" ratings posted 9/20 on USATODAY by Jeff Saagarin, Elon is favored by neary eighteen points.

Achilles Return
September 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Using the "predictor" ratings posted 9/20 on USATODAY by Jeff Saagarin, Elon is favored by neary eighteen points.

Ouch. I hope it won't be that rough.

Eaglesrus
September 25th, 2009, 09:21 AM

I would be disappointed but not surprised. Anyway, welcome to the board Achilles!

Achilles Return
September 25th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I would be disappointed but not surprised. Anyway, welcome to the board Achilles!

Thanks! I've been looking for a board like this for a while now.

Achilles Return
September 25th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I do feel like our team could be amazing in a couple years, tbh.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I do feel like our team could be amazing in a couple years, tbh.

Unfortuante for GSU (of fortunately for the conference, I suppose) most SoCon schools feel the same.

I think the star power on pretty much every team but Elon are still underclassmen. Elon's got some young talent, but it'll be hard to replace players like Hudgins and Riddle when they move on.

ElonPride
September 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Unfortuante for GSU (of fortunately for the conference, I suppose) most SoCon schools feel the same.

I think the star power on pretty much every team but Elon are still underclassmen. Elon's got some young talent, but it'll be hard to replace players like Hudgins and Riddle when they move on.

Riddle is only a junior xsmiley_wix

Also, there is an up and coming WR on the roster Aaron Mellette. I beleive some have been referring to him as baby Hudgins. Anyway he's 6' 3" around 210 and caught a TD catch on his first career reception......someone to keep your eyes on.....

introvertedGSUfan
September 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Yeah but that really doesn't mean anything. Our players are young, for the most part, and can perform MUCH better than what that spread would have you to believe. We'll see if they will, but I'm sure Hatcher is not happy about losing the past two years.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 25th, 2009, 11:10 AM

You've got good business programs, there's no doubt there. Outside of the business school there is really nothing special. G State's admissions are completely cream puff if you are not majoring in business. It is easier to get into G State than GSU for non-business majors. But I guess part of that is that people would rather go to a school in a podunk town than a commuter school filled with non-traditional students.

If you're happy with a coach who was 31-43-4 and 0-1-1 against Furman at Georgia Tech, more power to you.

As far as recruiting goes, I can tell you right now that GSU's 2009 signing class had no less than 6 people with FBS offers (Brent Osborne, Laron Scott, Patrick Barker, Javon Mention, Hunter Pool, Mitchell Williford just to name a few) and only one of those is an actual starter this year. Your team's talent isn't going to be above the elite teams of the FCS. It's not uncommon for upper-tier FCS teams to take recruits from FBS teams, especially non-BCS teams.

SoCon48
September 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Also, there is an up and coming WR on the roster Aaron Mellette. I beleive some have been referring to him as baby Hudgins. Anyway he's 6' 3" around 210 and caught a TD catch on his first career reception......someone to keep your eyes on.....

App proved that shutting down Hudgins doesn't stop Riddle and his other receivers from making connections.

GSUhooligan
September 25th, 2009, 11:44 AM
And yeah, there's about 180,000 Georgia State Alumni that do care.

No way in hell 1/10th of your alumni care about Ga St. after they receive their diploma. Hell, half of your graduates don't go to their graduation ceremony because their granddaughter had a piano recital the same day.

To keep the thread on track....
GSU- 38
Elon- 35

As bad as we've been the last few years, no team has been able to get us 3 years in a row.

Achilles Return
September 25th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I want to go to this game so bad, tickets are cheap too.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Didn't say he was a senior. Saying that it's not every day an FCS team comes across a four year starter at quarterback who plays at a high level his whole career.

You can tell me you have a "baby Hudgins," but the reality is, when a great player leaves, the team takes a hit. Sure, Furman has a number of quality running backs, but they don't have a Jerome Felton. GSU has some speed guys, but no Jayson Foster. Some players are just special and irreplaceable. Can Elon win without Hudgins? Yes. Will someone just come in, fill his shoes, and Elon not take a hit? No way.

BoroNative
September 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Sounds like our experience in Boone in 2007. Every program worth a cuss has some drunk roudy fans, but I think you'll find the vast majority to be hospitable knowledgeable football loving fans. However we do like to WIN! xthumbsupx

BoroNative
September 25th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Since the loss at SDSU, everyone thinks we are a horrible team. We've even got little credit after a convincing win over Western (I know, I know). The standard line is that the guys are young, and it's correct. However, I firmly believe SDSU is a playoff team, and I believe they will make a serious run at the title. Those boys are big, and well coached. Our Eagles will be fine. I don't think we lose like that to anyone in the SoCon. I predict a great game. If our defense plays well, we'll be okay. Looking forward to a great game!

Go Eagles

mcveyrl
September 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Since the loss at SDSU, everyone thinks we are a horrible team. We've even got little credit after a convincing win over Western (I know, I know). The standard line is that the guys are young, and it's correct. However, I firmly believe SDSU is a playoff team, and I believe they will make a serious run at the title. Those boys are big, and well coached. Our Eagles will be fine. I don't think we lose like that to anyone in the SoCon. I predict a great game. If our defense plays well, we'll be okay. Looking forward to a great game!

Go Eagles

Serious question becaue I haven't seen anybody in the SoCon (or SDSU) play:
Do you think SDSU could win the SoCon?

BoroNative
September 25th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Serious question becaue I haven't seen anybody in the SoCon (or SDSU) play:
Do you think SDSU could win the SoCon?

Yes, but there would be some good games. They wouldn't beat each team 44 - 6.

straightshooter
September 25th, 2009, 01:51 PM
SDSU is a very senior dominated team. If they're ever going to have a shot at winning anything big, it's this season. They aren't extremely experienced at QB, but their starter has been in the program five years, and the size and talent they've got on the OL and receiver positions make them very formidable. And you can't forget about their all conference RB Minnett. He's very good.

Defensively they are very experienced, and yes that team could win the SoCon this year. They wouldn't run away with games, but they would be tough to beat because of how they would match up with teams in this conference. The team that would give them the most trouble would be Samford, because they are built the same in terms of offensive style and size.

They caught GSU just at the right time. Lots of very young players, many taking their first every plane ride. They disguised some things on D that the young GSU players had trouble with, and they loaded up the right side of their DL, where two first time starters were playing at LG and LT for the Eagles.

gsugt1
September 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Sounds like our experience in Boone in 2007. Every program worth a cuss has some drunk roudy fans, but I think you'll find the vast majority to be hospitable knowledgeable football loving fans. However we do like to WIN! xthumbsupx

Yep .. They were talking so much trash that day ... none of them were to be found anywhere after the game though.

Baldy
September 25th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Yep .. They were talking so much trash that day ... none of them were to be found anywhere after the game though.

You talking about that old man with the megaphone? That a$$clown had to be in his late 50's and just plain rude and disgusting. We looked for that jackass after the game but he was long gone. xlolx

ElonPride
September 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Since the loss at SDSU, everyone thinks we are a horrible team.
Go Eagles

Ditto that! People think the same after our loss ot Wake last weekend!

phoenix3
September 25th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Didn't say he was a senior. Saying that it's not every day an FCS team comes across a four year starter at quarterback who plays at a high level his whole career.

You can tell me you have a "baby Hudgins," but the reality is, when a great player leaves, the team takes a hit. Sure, Furman has a number of quality running backs, but they don't have a Jerome Felton. GSU has some speed guys, but no Jayson Foster. Some players are just special and irreplaceable. Can Elon win without Hudgins? Yes. Will someone just come in, fill his shoes, and Elon not take a hit? No way.

No doubt about it.

"Hudgins", was partially fluke and partially brilliance. Transfered from ECU because he wanted to play QB & they wanted him to play LB. Was red shirted basically because Paul Hamilton was afraid he would take his son Kye's position as QB. Moved to WR because of competition with Scott Riddle AND Lembo observed his outstanding hands. Quite the convoluted path for the rising # 1 all time best receiver in the FCS. He should break the all time receptions record this weekend or next and if he averages per game receiving yardage at or moderately lower than he has in every year since he's been here, he will break Jerry Rice's FCS career record.

Can we lose him and not take a hit? I don't think so! However, one of the greatest things about Lembo & company is that they setup the team based upon the personnel available. Will we still win? Assuming we keep Lembo for 2-3 more years, I think we will.

hippy@GSU
September 25th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I want to go to this game so bad, tickets are cheap too.

Same here.

BTW... Bonzo told me that Achilles took his last stand in the "Presence" of millions in 1976.

seantaylor
September 25th, 2009, 10:19 PM
SDSU maybe could win the Socon this year, but that is because the Socon is really weak. This is as bad as the Socon has ever been.

GATA
September 25th, 2009, 10:30 PM
SDSU maybe could win the Socon this year, but that is because the Socon is really weak. This is as bad as the Socon has ever been.

It's pretty terrible this year. We've basically become the OVC.

SoCon48
September 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Has the NCAA forced ASU to put up plywood barriers in KBS like they did in Paulson??

Baldy
September 26th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Has the NCAA forced ASU to put up plywood barriers in KBS like they did in Paulson??

The NCAA didn't force GSU to do anything. xrulesx

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2009, 08:15 AM
It's pretty terrible this year. We've basically become the OVC.

You're saying that because GSU got blown out on the road, this is the worst the Socon has ever been? Even when we had VMI? and ETSU?

Look, the GSU loss was a tough one. Probably means that SDSU is better than people think or GSU is worse than people think. But I certainly don't think the conference is the worst it's ever been. There's probably more young talent in the league right now than there's been in years. There's probably 7 teams with a legitimate shot of winning the conference title. Years ago, it was only three.

I like the more competitive SoCon. I like showing up at games not knowing my team was going to win by 50 every time. Sure, 5 years the top three teams in the SoCon might as well have been the top three teams in the country. We don't have that type of top heavy dominance anymore. Our great teams have become good teams, and our terrible teams have made that move to good as well.

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM
No doubt about it.

"Hudgins", was partially fluke and partially brilliance. Transfered from ECU because he wanted to play QB & they wanted him to play LB. Was red shirted basically because Paul Hamilton was afraid he would take his son Kye's position as QB. Moved to WR because of competition with Scott Riddle AND Lembo observed his outstanding hands. Quite the convoluted path for the rising # 1 all time best receiver in the FCS. He should break the all time receptions record this weekend or next and if he averages per game receiving yardage at or moderately lower than he has in every year since he's been here, he will break Jerry Rice's FCS career record.

Can we lose him and not take a hit? I don't think so! However, one of the greatest things about Lembo & company is that they setup the team based upon the personnel available. Will we still win? Assuming we keep Lembo for 2-3 more years, I think we will.

Hudgins upcoming milestones---

Hudgins currently sits just 14 catches shy of tying the FCS record for career receptions, 674 receiving yards shy of the FCS record for career receiving yards and just one 200+ yard receiving game shy of equaling the SoCon mark with career 200+ yard receiving contests.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 26th, 2009, 11:03 AM
You're saying that because GSU got blown out on the road, this is the worst the Socon has ever been? Even when we had VMI? and ETSU?

Look, the GSU loss was a tough one. Probably means that SDSU is better than people think or GSU is worse than people think. But I certainly don't think the conference is the worst it's ever been. There's probably more young talent in the league right now than there's been in years. There's probably 7 teams with a legitimate shot of winning the conference title. Years ago, it was only three.

I like the more competitive SoCon. I like showing up at games not knowing my team was going to win by 50 every time. Sure, 5 years the top three teams in the SoCon might as well have been the top three teams in the country. We don't have that type of top heavy dominance anymore. Our great teams have become good teams, and our terrible teams have made that move to good as well.

Forget trying to bring simple logic to this subject. People just won't listen.

According to too many GSU and ASU fans, the SoCon=GSU, App State, and Furman. If all three are good, the conference is far and away the best in the FCS, if two are good, then it's a pretty good conference. If all three are just somewhat good, it's the worst southern conference you have ever seen. Every other team is just a club team for the Big 3 to get practice against. If any SoCon team other than the aforementioned crack the top-25, it's because those teams are not any good. And they also have short memories, or they just didn't follow the SoCon in 2003. xrulesx

FurmanPaladins4138
September 26th, 2009, 11:24 AM
You know, I'm a little tired of hearing this "SoCon is awful" garbage....I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that the National Champion this year will come from the SoCon. Maybe App St, maybe not.

GATA
September 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM

No...actually I just said the SOCON is garbage...YOU came up with that ridiculous reasoning...not me.

I think the SOCON is garbage not because GSU got blown out, but because it is...open up your eyes. There isn't a single real contender in the conference outside of App State.

Even if GSU had pulled out a win at SDSU I would still think the SOCON is garbage.

GATA
September 26th, 2009, 11:43 AM
You know, I'm a little tired of hearing this "SoCon is awful" garbage....I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that the National Champion this year will come from the SoCon. Maybe App St, maybe not.

When the playoffs come around and the SOCON doesn't win a single playoff game, I'll be sure to throw this post back in your face.

FurmanPaladins4138
September 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM
When the playoffs come around and the SOCON doesn't win a single playoff game, I'll be sure to throw this post back in your face.

Likewise xnodx

Achilles Return
September 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Can you not watch the game with a Socon.tv trial?

Achilles Return
September 26th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Well thanks socon.tv, for making me waste 6 bucks. :(

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Getting ready to kickoff. I read on the GSU board we are wearing the blue pants. Ick. xbangx.

PhoenixSupreme
September 26th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Well thanks socon.tv, for making me waste 6 bucks. :(

check channelsurfing.net ...It's on there

Achilles Return
September 26th, 2009, 12:33 PM
check channelsurfing.net ...It's on there

You are awesome.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 26th, 2009, 12:33 PM
After a long pass play, Riddle gets a rushing touchdown.

Achilles Return
September 26th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Jesus that guy is ridiculous.

EmeryZach
September 26th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Anyone else's feed from ChannelSurfing not working?

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM

It's really far behind. I've got it going, but I'm really paying attention to the radio broadcast.

OL FU
September 26th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Mine works but it is really hard to watch with delays speed ups, stopping. :(

EmeryZach
September 26th, 2009, 01:03 PM
It's really far behind. I've got it going, but I'm really paying attention to the radio broadcast.

Mine won't even open.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 26th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Elon was about to take a 14-0 lead, but GSU picks up a fumble and runs it back almost 90 yards for a touchdown!!
Tied at 7-7.
GSU's offense has had 3 series and has yet to get a first down.

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 01:09 PM
And then we butcher the kickoff. How long can the d carry the team? SDSU says about half a game.

Achilles Return
September 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM
The Hatch attack. :(

ElonPride
September 26th, 2009, 01:38 PM
23-7 Elon.....

Elon: 349 yards of total offense
GSU: 26 yards of total offense

1:41 to go in the 1st half.

ElonPride
September 26th, 2009, 01:42 PM
And then we butcher the kickoff. How long can the d carry the team? SDSU says about half a game.

I'm sorry, but so far it doesn't look like you have a defense.....

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 26th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Mine works but it is really hard to watch with delays speed ups, stopping. :(

i have the same problem. I thought it was my internet.... Both the channelsurfing.net and socontv have that problem.

hippy@GSU
September 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM
GSU is dead.

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I'm sorry, but so far it doesn't look like you have a defense.....

They forced several kicks early on. The defense is at least servicable, but the offense might as well wear the other team's jersey. I have no idea what the problem is with the offense. There are good players out there, they just... I don't know.

ElonPride
September 26th, 2009, 01:53 PM
They forced several kicks early on. The defense is at least servicable, but the offense might as well wear the other team's jersey. I have no idea what the problem is with the offense. There are good players out there, they just... I don't know.

There is another half to go...

Here's to a good injury free game the rest of the way!

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 26th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Throw to Hudgins..... he needs 8 more recs to break the record. It would be great to do it at home.

mrklean
September 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
me team really suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 26th, 2009, 02:19 PM
This is the sorriest SoCon offensive line I've ever seen, and that's not hyperbole. I'm serious when I say that.

SC-T-Dogg
September 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM
GSU looked so dangerous last year, especially in the second half of games. What is the difference between last year and this year for GSU? You were very young last year and may also be this year but after we played you last year I was certain you would be strong this year.

Big second quarter for Elon...

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM
GSU finally gets an offensive TD.

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM
GSU looked so dangerous last year, especially in the second half of games. What is the difference between last year and this year for GSU? You were very young last year and may also be this year but after we played you last year I was certain you would be strong this year.

Big second quarter for Elon...

We ran the ball last year and built the team around the players we had. This year, we're trying to shoe horn a dink and dunk passing offense into the roster we have. Hatcher is a good coach, but he's always played with players much better than his opponents. Having an offense built solely on 6 pass plays relying on yards after the catch against the tough defenses we see is a recipe for disaster.

T-Dog
September 26th, 2009, 02:34 PM
GaSo really need to burn those blue pants.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/csngaso3.jpg

And not to mention

http://allthingsfootball.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/lg_shipp_ap01.jpg

OL FU
September 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Considering how lopsided this game has been, the score is not that bad. It is still a game on the scoreboard.xnodx

ElonPride
September 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Considering how lopsided this game has been, the score is not that bad. It is still a game on the scoreboard.xnodx

It's looking a lot like last year's game. Elon put up 500+ yards of total offense, but only beat them by 2.....

CharlestonAppFan
September 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
score?

ElonPride
September 26th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Live stats are hung up, 26-14 Elon

Elon: 432 offensive yards
GSU: 91

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Safety...we have a middle school OL.

ElonFirefighter
September 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM
28-14 safty

hippy@GSU
September 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
4th down conversion for the Eagles.

hippy@GSU
September 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM
GSU has given up 8 sacks.

What O-line?

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Eagles pick Riddle. GSU 4th and 1 from the Elon 7.

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Urbano stretches to the 4. First and goal for the Eagles. Under 8 minutes left.

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Eagles throw an interception. Touchback for Elon. Hatcher is a moron for doing that. We run the ball down their throats, get to the 4 and suddenly we need to throw. What a fool.

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Eagles recover a fumble, but stupidity places them at 3rd and 20.

GaSouthern
September 26th, 2009, 03:24 PM
At this rate, next season will be Hatchers last.

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM
The team claiming to be GSU throws another critical pick. Elon wastes time running while the blue pants wearing team calls time outs in order to prolong the suffering of the fans. About 2 minutes left as the blue team takes over on downs.

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2009, 03:29 PM
seeing the stats, having GSU as our homecoming opponent may not of been such a bad ideaxwhistlex

eaglewraith
September 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Well...good job Elon, I had a hard time believing it but we just aren't good this year. We're gonna be stuck with the spoiler role. Was nice being on top of the Socon for at least one week.

Is it too early to start Crapsville?

ElonPride
September 26th, 2009, 03:35 PM
It bothers me that Elon once again racked up a ton of yards against you guys but did not manage more than 30 points!

Elon played garbage in the 2nd half.....I thought we were going to straight up give you this game in the 4th.

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 03:35 PM
The GSU defense did everything they possibly could to win this one. The offense was given so many opportunities to do something, but just sat on it. I don't know how the defense can continue to play when the offense throws everything away. I've been a supporter of coach Hatcher for 3 years, but this is inexcusable. Stupidity and poor management took a win away from some darn good players who deserve better.

ElonPride
September 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM
The GSU defense did everything they possibly could to win this one. The offense was given so many opportunities to do something, but just sat on it. I don't know how the defense can continue to play when the offense throws everything away. I've been a supporter of coach Hatcher for 3 years, but this is inexcusable. Stupidity and poor management took a win away from some darn good players who deserve better.

Actually, it looks like the stupidty on a couple Elon plays nearly gave you the game.

On a side note, Riddle was picked off for the first time this season. He went 15 quarters without throwing an INT.

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
On a side note, Riddle was picked off for the first time this season. He went 15 quarters without throwing an INT.

That's what I'm saying, the defense stood up as tall as they could and the offense just tossed it aside. I certainly don't contest that Elon was handing out opportunities for us to win, but the D still did what they had to when they had to. The O... they just don't have a clue.

GATA
September 26th, 2009, 04:03 PM
It bothers me that Elon once again racked up a ton of yards against you guys but did not manage more than 30 points!

Elon played garbage in the 2nd half.....I thought we were going to straight up give you this game in the 4th.

I tried to warn you guys ahead of time...GSU is GOD AWFUL this year.

I agree, Elon played like trash in the 2nd half...doesn't matter when you're playing against a ****ty team like GSU though. You can get away with that.

We'll just join Chatty and WCU in the cellar now.

Eaglesrus
September 26th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Congratulations to the Phoenix. We were bad, but I for one am not going to say you didn't have anything to do with that. Good luck the rest of the season.

CharlestonAppFan
September 26th, 2009, 04:19 PM
final score?

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2009, 04:20 PM
28-14

hippy@GSU
September 26th, 2009, 04:27 PM
How many of you are coming to GSU's funeral? Arrangements are being made at this moment.

CharlestonAppFan
September 26th, 2009, 04:29 PM
How many of you are coming to GSU's funeral? Arrangements are being made at this moment.

I'm going to see it on Black Saturday! :D

ElonPride
September 26th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I tried to warn you guys ahead of time...GSU is GOD AWFUL this year.

I agree, Elon played like trash in the 2nd half...doesn't matter when you're playing against a ****ty team like GSU though. You can get away with that.

We'll just join Chatty and WCU in the cellar now.

I honestly have a heard time believing you guys are crappy. elon was coming off a pretty bad loss at Wake, and you knew the offense especially was going to be up for this game!

There's still a lot of season left......

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I honestly have a heard time believing you guys are crappy. elon was coming off a pretty bad loss at Wake, and you knew the offense especially was going to be up for this game!

There's still a lot of season left......

We're not as bad as a lot of our hyperbole-prone fickle fans think we are, but we are still not very good. At this rate it will be hard to finish in the top half of the SoCon.

ElonPride
September 26th, 2009, 05:50 PM
We're not as bad as a lot of our hyperbole-prone fickle fans think we are, but we are still not very good. At this rate it will be hard to finish in the top half of the SoCon.

I'm not sure what is up with your offense, but Chapell is a good QB and you have a heckuva FB. Seems like the weak link may be your OC. Hatcher is a good coach, and after reading your board, I think your fans need to give him a little more time before putting his head on a chopping block. Remember, losing to Elon isn't all that bad of a thing anymore.

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure what is up with your offense, but Chapell is a good QB and you have a heckuva FB. Seems like the weak link may be your OC. Hatcher is a good coach, and after reading your board, I think your fans need to give him a little more time before putting his head on a chopping block. Remember, losing to Elon isn't all that bad of a thing anymore.

It's not just losing, it's losing when the other team kept trying to give the game away. The offense was pathetic and that's Hatcher's thing. I'm not on the head hunt for him because I actually like the guy, but there was terrible game management and playcalling happening today. Also, Hatcher kinda threw the players under the bus, saying stuff like "I've been saying for a while now that our offense isn't good" and "it's frustrating to call a game, have players open, and then have them drop the pass." He's basically saying it's all the players' fault for not doing good enough.

straightshooter
September 26th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Biggest problem with the GSU offense has been the left side of the OL. The guys on that side are first time starters, and it's showing. They will be good players with experience, but they're getting blown up time after time. With the constant rain and drizzle today, Elon blitzed just about every play. Chapple literally had no time to throw the ball. Starting all those true freshmen at WR and a true freshman RB doesn't help much either. Quick and experienced defenses, like Elon and SDSU, will give those youngsters trouble until they get more experience.

GSU is by no means as bad as some of these naysayers might lead you to believe. They aren't there yet. They're still a year away from having enough experienced players who are starters.

ElonPride
September 26th, 2009, 06:16 PM
It's not just losing, it's losing when the other team kept trying to give the game away. The offense was pathetic and that's Hatcher's thing. I'm not on the head hunt for him because I actually like the guy, but there was terrible game management and playcalling happening today. Also, Hatcher kinda threw the players under the bus, saying stuff like "I've been saying for a while now that our offense isn't good" and "it's frustrating to call a game, have players open, and then have them drop the pass." He's basically saying it's all the players' fault for not doing good enough.

OHHH...see that's what I don't like. Seems I remember Hamilton doing something similar at Elon. I just hope your admin doesn't pull the trigger like they did with Sewak. No offense, but that was the worst thing I had ever seen in football.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the season. I think your team will find its stride. You have the athletes, Hatch just has to make better decisions I guess.

PhoenixSupreme
September 26th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I guess it's just a trial-and-error thing with GSU until they find what's working for them. I don't see GSU struggling the entire rest of the way.

Gringer1
September 26th, 2009, 06:33 PM
OHHH...see that's what I don't like. Seems I remember Hamilton doing something similar at Elon. I just hope your admin doesn't pull the trigger like they did with Sewak. No offense, but that was the worst thing I had ever seen in football.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the season. I think your team will find its stride. You have the athletes, Hatch just has to make better decisions I guess.

Thanks, but I'm worried about the team imploding with stuff like this going on. Having one half of the team play well but then their effort get wasted by the other half coupled with questionable coaching and you get a potential for huge problems. Fans are going to demand a firing, players will stop trying, and nobody does well in those situations. GSU fans are sick of 3 straight years of freshman teams that lose games and leave people wondering what the problem is and is we'll ever get back to our old prominence.

ElonPride
September 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks, but I'm worried about the team imploding with stuff like this going on. Having one half of the team play well but then their effort get wasted by the other half coupled with questionable coaching and you get a potential for huge problems. Fans are going to demand a firing, players will stop trying, and nobody does well in those situations. GSU fans are sick of 3 straight years of freshman teams that lose games and leave people wondering what the problem is and is we'll ever get back to our old prominence.

You guys are GSU damnit! Of course you'll get back there! I wondered for a long, long time if Elon would ever get back to its storied program of years past! As a fan, you just need to hang in there....I would SERIOUSLY hate it for GSU if another knee jerk coaching change were to happen.

whoanellie
September 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM
my post game take is today I saw Elon come out sharp and almost dominate being just a tad quicker. Our receivers gave some devistating down-field blocks. Both sides really tackled hard. Great hitting on both sides of the ball. Elon won the war of the trenches. But GSU blitzed all out the second half if not all game.
2 big keys were moving the ball off our 1 after punts twice for great field position and scored. (i take a pee break and they take it 90 yds).
We get a safety after We down ball on 1.
Sloppy weather, give this win to D.
Hudgins is the man. 12 recps. 138 yds. just a typical office trip.
GSU's QB had happy feet all game long passes sailed. The OL had way too many errors
to sustain drives.
It should have been a rout. We take a big "W"

phoenixphanatic21
September 26th, 2009, 11:04 PM
My reaction to the game: Still can't believe the ref pronounced Elon wrong.

PhoenixSupreme
September 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM

I knew I wasn't hearing things!!! xoopsx

bobbythekidd
September 26th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Furman guy. What else would you expect?

eaglewraith
September 26th, 2009, 11:40 PM
ELIAN

Next thing you know Elon's mom will want them back in Cuba.

seantaylor
September 26th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Hatcher is the problem. He is a D2 coach at best. Just an awful coach.

JMU Newbill
September 27th, 2009, 02:38 AM
elon!!!!!! KEEP WINNING! i am a fan

elon77
September 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Hats off to all the fans both Elon and GSU who stuck around the second half. It was a pretty nasty day.

straightshooter
September 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM
We'll never get to review the game tapes like the coaches do, so we won't get to see where the mistakes were made in execution that caused plays to succeed or fail. What will happen is many GSU fans will yell and scream about how bad the coaching is, even though they never played a down in the game.

Football is about blocking, tackling, running the right routes, making the right reads and playing as a team. If you had a chance to view those game tapes and break down the game position by position, you would see where the little mistakes were the difference.

For some reason, Chapple was a little off with his throws on Saturday. Don't know if it was the wet ball or Elon's pressure, but he just wasn't crisp with his passes. Any team that passes the ball a lot depends on timing for success. The QB has to make the right reads, the WR have to run the right routes and the OL has to give the QB time to throw the ball.

Now, that's a lot of verbage just to get to a my point. In GSU's losses, Chapple has been repeatedly sacked and hurried by opposing defenses. That falls squarely on the OL and RB who pick up blitzes. GSU has experience on one side of the line, but none on the other, and it's really showing.

In this kind of offense, the WR have to make reads on how the D is set prior to the snap. That determines where they go in their routes. GSU has true freshmen playing the WR positions, and sometimes they run the wrong routes. With experience that won't be the case. For instance, you don't see Hudgins running the wrong route. He knows how to find the open seam in opposing defenses and Riddle is on the same page with him. That's experience.

On the last interception in the end zone that Chapple threw, one of the GSU receivers ran the wrong route, which put extra deffenders in the area. Had that not been the case, the play would have likely resulted in a GSU TD.

Many on this board and over on GSUFANS.com blame coaching because they don't have enough knowledge of the game to see what's really going on. 30 of GSU's two deep are freshmen or sophomores. Many of the sophomores are playing for the first time, so they're basically freshmen on the field. This simply means that GSU will be inconsistent in their play. On one drive they'll look like NC. On the next one, they'll look great for two plays and then have a breakdown somewhere.

In time that will change. GSU has good players. You can hide one or two freshmen in a lineup, but when more than half of them are new to the college game, it can make for a tough day, especially against a junior/senior dominated lineup like Elon.

appirishmen
September 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM
i was at that game working concessions/ watching game for my bro inlaw in high school.....from what i saw neither team looked great. GSU d was not there the `1st half and elons o looked to stall the 2nd. i will say that the rain caused it...but yea who knows....

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
We'll never get to review the game tapes like the coaches do, so we won't get to see where the mistakes were made in execution that caused plays to succeed or fail. What will happen is many GSU fans will yell and scream about how bad the coaching is, even though they never played a down in the game.

Football is about blocking, tackling, running the right routes, making the right reads and playing as a team. If you had a chance to view those game tapes and break down the game position by position, you would see where the little mistakes were the difference.

For some reason, Chapple was a little off with his throws on Saturday. Don't know if it was the wet ball or Elon's pressure, but he just wasn't crisp with his passes. Any team that passes the ball a lot depends on timing for success. The QB has to make the right reads, the WR have to run the right routes and the OL has to give the QB time to throw the ball.

Now, that's a lot of verbage just to get to a my point. In GSU's losses, Chapple has been repeatedly sacked and hurried by opposing defenses. That falls squarely on the OL and RB who pick up blitzes. GSU has experience on one side of the line, but none on the other, and it's really showing.

In this kind of offense, the WR have to make reads on how the D is set prior to the snap. That determines where they go in their routes. GSU has true freshmen playing the WR positions, and sometimes they run the wrong routes. With experience that won't be the case. For instance, you don't see Hudgins running the wrong route. He knows how to find the open seam in opposing defenses and Riddle is on the same page with him. That's experience.

On the last interception in the end zone that Chapple threw, one of the GSU receivers ran the wrong route, which put extra deffenders in the area. Had that not been the case, the play would have likely resulted in a GSU TD.

Many on this board and over on GSUFANS.com blame coaching because they don't have enough knowledge of the game to see what's really going on. 30 of GSU's two deep are freshmen or sophomores. Many of the sophomores are playing for the first time, so they're basically freshmen on the field. This simply means that GSU will be inconsistent in their play. On one drive they'll look like NC. On the next one, they'll look great for two plays and then have a breakdown somewhere.

In time that will change. GSU has good players. You can hide one or two freshmen in a lineup, but when more than half of them are new to the college game, it can make for a tough day, especially against a junior/senior dominated lineup like Elon.

Good post...it's too bad that more clear-thinking posts like this drowned out by all the ill-informed blather on that board.

wcucat85
September 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I think we know about our respective teams now 4 weeks in.Western of course does not play offense.They line up their defense for 45 minutes a game and hope to stay within 3 touchdowns.They are the bottom feeder and will go winless this year.GSU is a below avg team and will lose 7 games at least count on it.You looked great against Western but a really good Div 3 team would give Western a fit.CHATTANOOGA

wcucat85
September 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Chatt is obvoiusly better than most thought or Wofford is off bad this year.........