PDA

View Full Version : Delaware@W&M / What will decide it?

Tribe4SF
September 23rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
With two stout defensive fronts, I doubt either of these teams is going to run for 200, and control this game. Looks to me like special teams, and QB play are the keys to victory. Both QBs will probably need to showcase their mobility, and avoid turnovers. Field position will be critical, and playing from behind will be tough. Delaware has their back against the wall, and I expect they will play at a very high level in this one.

How do others see it?

Oldhen
September 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
I'd be very surprised if UD had any significant success running the ball. The OL is very average. Some athletic talent at RB, but none have stepped up. Playcalling in the run game has been lackluster. I'm sure KC will keep trying to run, but I'm skeptical of how good we can be there. This has really limited our ability to drive the ball and keep the D off the field. If UD is to have a chance here, they need to fix what's fixable in the passing game and lean on that. Devlin has shown flashes of absolute brilliance, but has to cut down on bad throws he makes here and there. The receivers have to hold the ball when it hits them in the hands (we've had 3-4 bad throws and 5-6 muffed catches a game). We fix that stuff, we should be able move the ball enough to have a close game.

On D, I think we have a very sound unit, overall, but always thought Archer was the kind of guy that could give us fits, particularly with the uninspiring LB play we've had for a while. I may change that tune. We're very young at LB, but probably more athletic there than we've been in years. These guys keep improving, the D will be very complete and tough. I can see them making W&M work hard for everything they get.

The game comes down to whether our O can make the improvements it needs to against a tough and deep defensive club.

KAUMASS
September 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Can't wait for this game...This game could turn on a special teams play or a bad penalty. I have both teams as even on paper. Slight edge to WM as they are at home. Both teams past 3 games are comparable on strength of schedule. (although Richmond might be better than UVA) (Cent. CT-stronger than Westchester)(both teams with 1 MEAC opponent)
Stats are: for offense per game-WM-333 per game, 175/avg run and 155/avg pass. UD offense-331 per game, 122/avg run and 211/avg passing. Defense-WM-243 game/82 avg run and 157/avg pass. UD defense 95/run and 180/pass.

WM runs the ball better, but UD passes more.. this game to me comes down to WM defense against the pass. If WM holds Devlin to under 200 yards passing and rushes for more than 150 yards, WM comes out on top. We will see, it is the CAA...you never know...

Good luck to both teams...let the playoffs begin..

GannonFan
September 23rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
I think it comes down to the QB's and who makes the most plays. Both are capable both through the air and on the ground, so it's whoever makes the biggest plays and avoids the biggest mistakes.

Of course, in a game this close, a spurious play here or there could make the difference too, but I think the QB's in this one are the key since every other area is so even.

UncleSam
September 23rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Turnovers or a big special teams play.

93henfan
September 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
You guys are so full of it. I'm thinking one of the Delaware coaches will trip a W&M defender running back a sure pick six down the sideline with no time on the clock. That's what'll decide it. Either that or some key players from W&M will be ruled academically ineligible before the game. Everyone knows that school is just a diploma mill. Either way, Delaware wins 21-17.

All this mumbo jumbo about QB play, special teams and turnovers is just silly.

JMU_71
September 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
This should be a fun game to watch and especially observing from a non-partisan perspective.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Quite a few people said the UD/UR game would come down to special teams. UR fumbled one punt return and UD had the game winning FG blocked.

Seems like this could be the same scenario.

aceinthehole
September 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Turnovers or a big special teams play.

I don't know what UD has, but if it comes down to special teams you have to like what W&M has.

First, that kicker has some range. Looks like he could hit from 40+ easy. He missed 2 FGs against CCSU, but they were both due to bad snaps.

Second, Webb had some great punt returns. Granted, UD should have better kick coverage than CCSU could muster, but I gotta think this kid is special.

Just my two cents. Go Tribe! :)

PurpleandGold
September 23rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
Is this game televised at all?

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
Granted, UD should have better kick coverage than CCSU could muster
Should being the key word. xcoolx xnonono2x

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
The coin flip.

Fear the Bird
September 23rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Will KC open up the playbook on offense early? The last two weeks have been very conservative first halfs which have let teams hang around. The Blue Hens secondary is such an opportunistic group that if you can grab a lead they will make plays like they have been making.

WMTribe90
September 23rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Can't argue with anything said so far. QB play, tunrovers and special teams could all be the difference with two closely matched teams competing. I expect we wil get UD's best shot in a near must win for them. I don't think UD will rack up much yardage on the ground against our defense, so I think the key matchup is their OL v WM's DL in the passig game. If they provide Devlin time to throw this will likely be a game to the end. I expect some conservative offensive playcalling from both sides in the first half as both coaches will let their defenses battle and play for field position until one team jumps ahead.

GannonFan
September 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Can't argue with anything said so far. QB play, tunrovers and special teams could all be the difference with two closely matched teams competing. I expect we wil get UD's best shot in a near must win for them. I don't think UD will rack up much yardage on the ground against our defense, so I think the key matchup is their OL v WM's DL in the passig game. If they provide Devlin time to throw this will likely be a game to the end. I expect some conservative offensive playcalling from both sides in the first half as both coaches will let their defenses battle and play for field position until one team jumps ahead.

I don't think pressure from the DL is really going to be a difference in this one - UD's OL, for all of their run issues, can pass block very well. And Devlin is nimble enough in the backfield, and most of UD's pass routes are short to medium, that W&M isn't going to win this game by getting pressure or sacks - Devlin won't be in the pocket long enough for that to happen. The key to stopping UD's passing game is coverage - UD's WR's are not the best at getting separation and if W&M makes the passing windows as small as possible, Devlin just won't have anywhere to go with the ball. Losing Baker in the first game of the year to a season ending injury took Devlin's best receiver off the field, and the best ones he has left are young and raw - guys like Rob Jones are getting better and will be studs, but that's asking a lot of them right now. Coverage by the LB'ers and DB's is the key to stop UD's offense.

Ivytalk
September 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
Blood is thicker than water*: W&M prevails, 21-16, as Striefsky shanks two FGs and another XP.:p

*I'll be there, sitting with my aunt and uncle, both early 50s W&M grads who have been season ticketholders for years. Hoping to connect with Tribe4SF for sure, and any other Delaware or Tribe AGSers who make the trip.xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Blood is thicker than water*: W&M prevails, 21-16, as Striefsky shanks two FGs and another XP.:p
Remember the game one or two times ago at Zable when the W&M kicker missed three to lose the game? xeyebrowx

aust42
September 23rd, 2009, 05:32 PM
Hopefully highly acclaimed DE Adrian Tracy won't beotch slap our 265 llb (per the roster) tackle around running straight to the QB all game long like the DE from Richmond did last year.

KiddBrewer
September 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
the final score.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
This really is going to be a great game. I think it comes down to pass protection. Delaware did a solid job in protection against Richmond's D-line. I think they will do it again versus the Tribe.

I predict that Delaware will have more success getting to Archer and will win by less than 7.

Dblue
September 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
I predict that Delaware will have more success getting to Archer and will win by less than 7.

If we're going to make predictions here goes mine. Delaware will run 26 belly options which will gain a combined 37 yards. Nah, not 26, make it 25 since it's an odd number.

Hope the weather's nice, Williamsburg is a great town. Go Delaware.

BTW, long time Delaware fan.

Ivytalk
September 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Remember the game one or two times ago at Zable when the W&M kicker missed three to lose the game? xeyebrowx

New year, new game, Hen!

Jon Striefsky: the Brad Lidge of the Blue Hens!:p:D

State Line Liquors
September 23rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
New year, new game, Hen!

Jon Striefsky: the Brad Lidge of the Blue Hens!:p:D

W&M kicker is 7 for 13 so far through 3 games. This guy is practically automatic. The Indians by 3 field goals made of 6 attempts in what becomes known as a renaissance of the Steve Christie years at the reservation. What a leg!

Ud1Hens
September 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
If our OC remembers to turn the page in the playbook it will be interesting. If the first 15 plays are scripted here's how they go:

-8 QB belly reads...all 8 will be handed off to a flatfooted RB and Devlin will never pull it and run; they will net UD 18 yards not including a illegal formation
-5 quick passes to our WRs in the flat...2 for a loss, 1 drop, a 10 yard gain to Mackey, and 1 for a few yards
-1 deep pass down the middle
-the last play will result in a timeout because Devlin will give our OC a look that says "I am not running the QB belly option for a 9th time"

Hopefully we'll allow Devlin to throw a bit more...get into a groove put up some scores and ride our defense silly.

andy7171
September 23rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
4 touchdowns.

JMU Newbill
September 24th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Call me crazy.... but what might decide it..... is who the better team is.

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM
If we're going to make predictions here goes mine. Delaware will run 26 belly options
xoopsx xbawlingx xoopsx The bane of my existance. Perhaps the most stupid play EVER (next to the wildcat).

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Call me crazy.... but what might decide it..... is who the better team is.
Not usually in this match-up. Delaware vs W&M, Nova, Maine and Northeastern... often don't make sense.

State Line Liquors
September 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Within at least the last 2 years, the outcome of the UD W&M game has made pretty good sense.

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Within at least the last 2 years, the outcome of the UD W&M game has made pretty good sense.
Probably. I'm getting old and the years kinda blend together. I just recall a lot of crazy games with W&M. Wasn't there a stretch when there were several OT games in a row or close. Also some 45-42ish scores. And of course the damn quarterfinals in 2004. xoopsx

Oh yeah and the one year the Hens lost to W&M in the regular season and then killed them in the playoffs. 1986? xeyebrowx

GannonFan
September 24th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Probably. I'm getting old and the years kinda blend together. I just recall a lot of crazy games with W&M. Wasn't there a stretch when there were several OT games in a row or close. Also some 45-42ish scores. And of course the damn quarterfinals in 2004. xoopsx

Oh yeah and the one year the Hens lost to W&M in the regular season and then killed them in the playoffs. 1986? xeyebrowx

Rich Gannon's senior season. Remember it very well, and remember listening to the playoff game on the radio. We then got treated to the most thorough whipping of a UD team ever the week after when Arkansas St beat UD like no team before or after. Good times. xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM
We then got treated to the most thorough whipping of a UD team ever the week after when Arkansas St beat UD like no team before or after.
Was there for that one. Would have been better losing to W&M in the first round than to see that spectacle in the Tub.xnonono2x

GannonFan
September 24th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Was there for that one. Would have been better losing to W&M in the first round than to see that spectacle in the Tub.xnonono2x

Nah, getting to see Gannon one more time in the Tub was worth it. Actually, Gannon almost single handidly scored the 14 points the Hens scored that day. Just wasn't enough Gannon's out there to make a difference.

And on the plus side, that game certainly led to a change in thinking at UD, that in order to compete nationally, they were going to have to let freshmen play (had a freshman team back then and you could only play 3 years of varsity) and to dump grant-in-aids and go with schollies. Led to a pretty nice decade in the 90's and beyond. xthumbsupx