PDA

View Full Version : Montana Cover-Up Goes Even Higher Up?

aggiemba
September 23rd, 2009, 12:31 AM
Almost didn't believe this excerpt from the Kaimin when I saw it:

"University of Montana Executive Vice President Jim Foley acknowledged Monday that UM officials knew about an alleged altercation involving two football players last spring and that he is bound by a state statute from saying how they were punished.
"

Not sure that this means the cover-up goes higher up the chain of command, but it sure seems suspicious. xeekx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 23rd, 2009, 12:39 AM

"University of Montana Executive Vice President Jim Foley acknowledged Monday that UM officials knew about an alleged altercation involving two football players last spring and that he is bound by a state statute from saying how they were punished.
"

Not sure that this means the cover-up goes higher up the chain of command, but it sure seems suspicious. xeekx

Find me something from a real newspaper and I'll read it and consider it.
xdeadhorsex
xbabycryx
xdeadhorsex
xbabycryx
xdeadhorsex
xbabycryx

Jimbo
September 23rd, 2009, 12:49 AM
What exactly was being covered up? There was no police report filed, no public record, no cover up. Does the university have to disclose everything that happens in its football player's lives? They made a mistake and the university was made aware of it. The players were punished and all parties agreed with the punishment. End of Story.

aggiemba
September 23rd, 2009, 01:03 AM
What exactly was being covered up? There was no police report filed, no public record, no cover up. Does the university have to disclose everything that happens in its football player's lives? They made a mistake and the university was made aware of it. The players were punished and all parties agreed with the punishment. End of Story.

As demonstrated by the Kaimin, it is clearly not the end of the story.

Ronbo
September 23rd, 2009, 01:18 AM
xbawlingxxbawlingxxsmhxYou need to get a life and move on aggie. You lost! Now cheer your team on to go undefeated the rest of the way and make the playoffs. Then we'll probably see you again. Till then quit being a sore loser. Geez!xsmhxxbawlingx

mtgrizfan4life
September 23rd, 2009, 01:23 AM
IT is the END of story. There is nothing for them to uncover. No state related college in Montana can release details, records, reports, etc concerning any student without legal documentation or student authorization. That goes for athletes and non athletes. Now had there been charges filed on any of these students or athletes then yes the Kaimin would be at least have something to run with.

If there is something more to this story or non story, it would be something like a football player breaking up with a female reporter for the Kaimin or one stealing a girl from one of the guys at the Kaimin.

I doubt there will be anymore coming out of this other than them trying to dig dirt.

Jimbo
September 23rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
As demonstrated by the Kaimin, it is clearly not the end of the story.So, let me get this straight. The Kaimin(a student newspaper.) reports last Friday about an altercation that occurred in March. This altercation was handled internally, and the players were punished. Nothing was made public. The student involved in the fight and the parent of the student agreed with the punishment.(This should point you in the right direction) So here we are now. Some University Officials said they were aware of the punishment and the altercation but cannot disclose it because of a Montana state statute. They aren't allowed to give out information on a student's profile(and that is any student, not just student athletes) unless the student gives permission or the information is subpoenaed. So now there is a cover up because they are NOT allowed to give the information out. Follow my logic: the parent and the student agreed with the punishment, the players sat out the first game, the players did not practice with the 1s during camp. Those are what we know from a one sided story. What we don't know is how else the players might have been punished. Which, again, is not information we are entitled too. Oh and why hasn't an actual newspaper picked up the story if there was a cover-up?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 23rd, 2009, 01:34 AM
It's the Cryman people, get it straight! :D It makes the National Enquirer look like a Pulitzer contender. The journalism professors need to take this as a learning experience and teach them to write. I couldn't stand reading that paper when I was attending the UM and it doesn't look like it's gotten any better. xnonox

mtgrizfan4life
September 23rd, 2009, 01:37 AM
It sounds to me the student involved was every bit as guilty for the altercation as the players were. So, what is wrong with this? I know, sensible parents involved for once. I guess for the sake of the media the family should have pressed charges, went to court, then all this would be public knowledge and no accusations of a cover up.

Those damn parents. They should not have been sensible. Geesh! (seriously, I applaud everyone involved for handling this sensibly and not blowing it out of proportion.)

grizzpaw
September 23rd, 2009, 05:32 AM
yea its such a BIG story that someone from davis califorina had to post it here! nothing to it so move to the next thread!

griz8791
September 23rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
. . . The players were punished and all parties agreed with the punishment . . .

Well no, because AggieMBA is obviously a party to the dispute and he/she does NOT agree with the punishment.

CopperCat
September 23rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
The Kaimin(a student newspaper.)

I need not read any further than that. That really says it all. Whoever wrote the story is mad about losing, and they wanted to slant UM somehow by digging up some irrelevant story and blowing it up when in reality they know nothing about it. Garbage in, garbage out.

jmc_jackrabbit
September 23rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
As an educator, I can tell you that, whether it's a state law or FERPA, student privacy is nearly absolute. That's particularly true for internal discipline matters where there are no public charges.

There's no cover-up here. It's just administrators and others following the law.

McNeese75
September 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
xpopcornx

Tailbone
September 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
Aggie needs a way to justify Davis' loss to Montana.
What better way than to assert that Montana recruits talented thugs, then protects them at any cost.
It certainly couldn't be that Montana beat Davis "fair and square".

Poor loser.

The more you post, the less intelligent you appear. Get a life.

putter
September 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
Please lock this thread....xthumbsupx

grizband
September 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
I need not read any further than that. That really says it all. Whoever wrote the story is mad about losing, and they wanted to slant UM somehow by digging up some irrelevant story and blowing it up when in reality they know nothing about it. Garbage in, garbage out.
Ok, its official, if a Cat fan is standing up for the Griz, then there really is "nothing to see here..." xcoffeex

Montanan
September 23rd, 2009, 10:54 AM

"

i think aggiemba is really onto something, this has the Whitehouse written all over it!!! http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x102/Montanan_1/rofl.gif

griz8791
September 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
i think aggiemba is really onto something, this has the Whitehouse written all over it!!! http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x102/Montanan_1/rofl.gif

No doubt. Here is what would have happened anywhere else in the United States:

* the county attorney should have figured out how he could ethically file criminal charges despite the victim's objection and unwillingness to cooperate

* victim should have been subpoenaed and questioned as a hostile witness

* jury should have been persuaded to convict despite the victim obviously not being on board with the case

* conviction should then have been defended on appeal

Anything less than this is obviously a cover-up.

DOME
September 23rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Geez griz...you guys make the S. Illinois Salukis look like upstanding citizens! And they eat children and use 5 week old kittens to fire their power plants! You guys should be ashamed.

Seriously, this is the first time I've ever heard of any student athlete, let alone a football player getting in a fight! It makes me want to forget this sport and become a fan of womens golf!

Silenoz
September 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
The way I see it, this whole thing is just an excuse for the Kaimin to go after Hauck

putter
September 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Geez griz...you guys make the S. Illinois Salukis look like upstanding citizens! And they eat children and use 5 week old kittens to fire their power plants! You guys should be ashamed.

Seriously, this is the first time I've ever heard of any student athlete, let alone a football player getting in a fight! It makes me want to forget this sport and become a fan of womens golf!

http://www.tiffanydow.com/images/iStock_000000836656XSmall.jpg

http://www.beerdrinkingclub.com/Images/sexygolfer1.jpg

Not a bad idea....xthumbsupx

griz8791
September 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Wow, clearly the golf courses around here need better landscaping.