PDA

View Full Version : A Strategy Question

carney2
September 22nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
The current success of Holy Cross has led my mind to wander down a familiar path. My base question is: Why aren't more teams going to a wide open passing offense? Now to the argument:

The Holy Cross football team has been called a "one trick pony." It's a heluva trick because they have one of the best FCS QBs in the country and line him up behind a mammoth offensive line. The rest of the team is average or less (in my opinion). They have thrown the ball 45 times per game so far this year and threw it 48 times per game in 2008. The result is that they win at a much higher rate (again, in my opinion) than the overall talent on their roster says that they should.

Another example from the Patriot League is Air Lehigh. A seemingly endless series of strong-armed QBs and WRs who were judged a-few-pounds-too-light or one-step-too-slow for FBS schools made for 3 decades of success. The system just kept reloading because they had a reputation that attracted QBs and WRs.

Moving a little higher on the football food chain we have John Mackovic who took over a perpetually woeful program at Wake Forest and took then almost immediately to a bowl by throwing the leather helmet in the dumpster and putting the ball in the air.

Or, how about Mike Leach at Texas Tech?! What are the chances that the Red Raiders are in the top 10 - ever - without his launching pad offense?

I'm sure there are other examples, but you get my point. Teams with a well conceived, well coached passing offense tend to win. Maybe they don't win national championships - and that's an argument for another time - but they win. They are not huddled with the downtrodden and also-rans.

Most college coaches however trumpet the same old, same old "I want a balanced offense." Why? Do they enjoy mediocrity? Are they sheep and just follow the herd?

All I know is if I were a coach starting out I would declare "bombs away." Why not? You don't need to recruit a lot of this and a lot of that. You need a guy to throw it and a few guys to go get it. And, as 30 years of Air Lehigh proved, once you've built it, they will come. The QBs and WRs will be relatively easy to recruit because you are playing their kind of game.

One more time: Why are there so few people doing this? It seems like a no brainer.

Seven Would Be Nice
September 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
This sort of topic has been beat to death on the GSU boards. We went from running the Tripple option, to a wide open passing attack much like Mike Leach's

What it boils down to, is that one type of offense is not better then the other.

Its all about execution, and play calling. If you don't have execution, any offense will be bad. If you are really really good at one thing, and you do it over and over and over and over, it is hard to stop.

GSU used to pound the ball down the field, and we were hard to stop. Texas Tech throws the ball 50 times a game, that is hard to stop. You can pick either one, both are hard to stop.... it all boils down to execution!

Khan4Cats
September 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Why do teams do it?

Because you can have success and can often get some athletes on that side of the ball who can make things happen. You can also make up for deficiences in size/speed by spreading bigger teams out more-which is why the spread offense is also popular.

Why don't more do it?

IMO the time it takes to put in that kind of an offense does not blend with coaches who have a strong defensive philosophy (see Loyola-Marymount, Grinnell College in basketball as examples). I know at UNI we went through the Dunbar era in the late 90's where we went to a chuck it around style of offense, but defense was almost entirely neglected, which is why we didn't get to the playoffs under Dunbar-we were one of the top offensive teams, but gave up too many points.

Plus, if you do not have any semblance of a ground game, if anyone does stop the aerial attack, there is no second option. Similar to a wishbone team being forced to pass.

danefan
September 22nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
Why do teams do it?

Because you can have success and can often get some athletes on that side of the ball who can make things happen. You can also make up for deficiences in size/speed by spreading bigger teams out more-which is why the spread offense is also popular.

Why don't more do it?

IMO the time it takes to put in that kind of an offense does not blend with coaches who have a strong defensive philosophy (see Loyola-Marymount, Grinnell College in basketball as examples). I know at UNI we went through the Dunbar era in the late 90's where we went to a chuck it around style of offense, but defense was almost entirely neglected, which is why we didn't get to the playoffs under Dunbar-we were one of the top offensive teams, but gave up too many points.

Plus, if you do not have any semblance of a ground game, if anyone does stop the aerial attack, there is no second option. Similar to a wishbone team being forced to pass.

All great points - and exactly why the Spread Offense is the offense of the future. Similar athletes to the types you would recruit for a pure passing attack and the spread read option gives you the ability to run. Best of both worlds.....if you can recruit a QB that can run it.

ur2k
September 22nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
when the size and speed get better (like in the playoffs) I think its better to be able to do both. Unpredictability is a good thing. What happens when a pass-only team has to face a defense with a good line and the ability to cover?

Seven Would Be Nice
September 22nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
double

Seven Would Be Nice
September 22nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
when the size and speed get better (like in the playoffs) I think its better to be able to do both. Unpredictability is a good thing. What happens when a pass-only team has to face a defense with a good line and the ability to cover?

This is what happens. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292552571)

Hoyadestroya85
September 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Weather Weather Weather is the reason everyone doesn't do it. If you get a *****ty, windy, rainy, cold day it becomes very hard to throw the football. With a more balanced or a run based offense it's far easier to make it work. If you're only going to play indoors or in a warm weather environment, it's much more feasible. Super pass heavy offenses don't win championships, teams that can run the ball win championships.

GATA
September 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM

Probably the same thing that happens to a "run first" team when they face an opponent who is good at stopping the run.

I don't think there is an offense that has ZERO weaknesses. Not many teams are awesome at running AND passing. The ones who are probably can be found in the top 5 on a frequent basis.

89Hen
September 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
.....if you can recruit a QB that can run it.
What is this "recruit" you speak of? xconfusedx

GATA
September 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Weather Weather Weather is the reason everyone doesn't do it. If you get a *****ty, windy, rainy, cold day it becomes very hard to throw the football. With a more balanced or a run based offense it's far easier to make it work. If you're only going to play indoors or in a warm weather environment, it's much more feasible. Super pass heavy offenses don't win championships, teams that can run the ball win championships.

How many "super pass heavy" offenses are there? I would guess that they are a BIG minority. However, there are a ton of teams who like to run first.

I point this out because your conclusion that a pass happy offense can't win a championship is pretty silly. If 70% of teams were running a pass happy offense I guarantee you one would win the national title.

It's just as stupid as people saying that you can't win a national title with a flexbone offense in FBS...well...there's only about 3 teams running the damn offense out of 120 teams...the odds are already against them. Chances are, if 117 teams are running an offense that ISN'T the flexbone then one of those teams is probably gonna win a national title...this is really a basic numbers game.

I also seem to remember Oklahoma winning a national title with Bob Stoops (in 2000 I believe) and a "pass happy" offense. I think Mike Leach was the offensive coordinator.

PhoenixMan
September 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
simple.....if you can stay on the ground and make first downs, then DO IT! You eat the clock, keep your D off the field, and wear down your opponent. When you pass it, only 3 things can happen, and 2 of them are no good. But, if you can't run it successfully....then I agree, your only chance is to spread the field horizontally and throw 40-50 times.

RichH2
September 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
I just wish Lehigh would go back to its AIR LEHIGH offense. We may not have always won but we were never boring

letsgopards04
September 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
The current success of Holy Cross has led my mind to wander down a familiar path. My base question is: Why aren't more teams going to a wide open passing offense? Now to the argument:

The Holy Cross football team has been called a "one trick pony." It's a heluva trick because they have one of the best FCS QBs in the country and line him up behind a mammoth offensive line. The rest of the team is average or less (in my opinion). They have thrown the ball 45 times per game so far this year and threw it 48 times per game in 2008. The result is that they win at a much higher rate (again, in my opinion) than the overall talent on their roster says that they should.

Holy Cross was at the bottom of the league quite recently with this offense so I would say that success can come and go quite quickly.

g-webb1994
September 22nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Passing/spread offenses are great things...I love offense. However, unless you have the ability to convert and 3rd or 4th and short consistently with a power run game, or a defense to stop the opposition, you'll never fare well in big games, playoffs, etc.

Seven Would Be Nice
September 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
When you pass it, only 3 things can happen, and 2 of them are no good.

And if you run it only 3 things can happen and 2 are not good.

Run for gain.
Run for loss.
Fumble.

grizband
September 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
How many "super pass heavy" offenses are there? I would guess that they are a BIG minority. However, there are a ton of teams who like to run first.

I point this out because your conclusion that a pass happy offense can't win a championship is pretty silly. If 70% of teams were running a pass happy offense I guarantee you one would win the national title.

It's just as stupid as people saying that you can't win a national title with a flexbone offense in FBS...well...there's only about 3 teams running the damn offense out of 120 teams...the odds are already against them. Chances are, if 117 teams are running an offense that ISN'T the flexbone then one of those teams is probably gonna win a national title...this is really a basic numbers game.

I also seem to remember Oklahoma winning a national title with Bob Stoops (in 2000 I believe) and a "pass happy" offense. I think Mike Leach was the offensive coordinator.
Montana was a pretty pass happy team when we won the title in 1995. Then, in 2001 when the Griz won their second title, they were more of of a run based offense.

blueballs
September 22nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
What it boils down to, is that one type of offense is not better then the other.

Its all about execution, and play calling. If you don't have execution, any offense will be bad. If you are really really good at one thing, and you do it over and over and over and over, it is hard to stop.

GSU used to pound the ball down the field, and we were hard to stop. Texas Tech throws the ball 50 times a game, that is hard to stop. You can pick either one, both are hard to stop.... it all boils down to execution!

Add talent to that formula and you've nailed it...

boonegoon
September 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
App switched to a spread and it worked wonders after a year or so. Jerry Moore was a traditional guy forever and decided to open it up after being successful but never breaking through.

I-AA Fan
September 22nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
I would have to say that I do not agree with the running QB aspect. It is too easy for that QB to be injured & your team is done. I am falling in favor of the Louisville spread ...which is exactly what Holy-Cross does. Point #2 ...a defense can only be as good as the offenses it plays against. The team a defense plays the most ...is it's own. So if a team's offense is the spread, that same team's defense is usually fairly poor against most running styles, especially the power game, and more balanced/basic offenses. It is kind of like pre-1990's baseball. If you wanted to see a hitters game (offense), you watched the AL, if you wanted to see a pitchers game (defense) ...you watched the NL.

ngineer
September 22nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
The 'air' offense is tightly connected to the personnel you plug in..especially at QB. Throwing all apples into one basket is risky. If Dom goes down, so does HC..unless, of course HC is able to recruit a good enough QB, which at the PL level is tough to do. Also, a one dimensional pass game is subject to the vagaries of the weather..wind, rain, snow. Being able to run the ball also helps control the clock. A lot of good passing teams have lost games because they couldn't run the ball in the fourth quarter with the lead. Instead of running out the clock, incomplete passes give the other team time to come back.
I always believed in the old Greek adage of 'hubris' --nothing to excess. Keep it in balance and the other side guessing.

GoBears
September 22nd, 2009, 08:57 PM

I think Don Read and the 1995 Montana team that beat Marshall would beg to differ.