PDA

View Full Version : UNH turning to Patriot League for games.

Gordon Shumway
September 22nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
It looks like UNH may be playing Colgate & Lehigh over the next 4 years. With Dartmouth backing out/deferring the last two years of the current contract with UNH, they have turned to the Patriot to fill the schedule void. This article indicates they are close to deals.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090922/GJSPORTS02/709229861/-1/CITNEWS

I don't get much UNH news down here in Gator country, so this may be old news. Sorry if I am just late to the party.

"I had a number of discussions with (Dartmouth Athletic Director) Josie (Harper) about this," Scarano said, "and I didn't want to let the series go. I was going to do what I had to do for UNH, because frankly it's hard to fill dates. And every time we beat an FBS school it's even harder."

In the meantime, to fill openings in the schedule, UNH has turned to the Patriot League and according to Scarano the school is close to working something out with Colgate and Lehigh.

andy7171
September 22nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Love your name!

Can't blame UNH, you play who you are near. Makes sence to me.

NHwildEcat
September 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
It will be fun to see them play some bigger schools in the coming years...I hope they can shock some more people.

Pards Rule
September 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
Come to Easton...last time I saw UNH was in 1981 as a sophomore. Final: UNH 21, LC 18

WrenFGun
September 22nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
I would love to play some Patriot League Schools.

HOLY CROSS IS A NO BRAINER. Still bummin' I didn't make it down to 'Nova last year...

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Really thrilled that UNH and Lehigh might have a chance to play each other during the regular season. Lehigh and UNH played before in the early and mid 1990s, so there is a tiny bit of history there. Would really, really dig an October game, maybe with an outside chance at a New Hampshire "double-dip" with Dartmouth playing (say) Marist? With the leaves changing and the weather starting to turn, that could be spectacular.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Very good news. As of today, Colgate has two open dates in 2011....

dwtime
September 22nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Really thrilled that UNH and Lehigh might have a chance to play each other during the regular season. Lehigh and UNH played before in the early and mid 1990s, so there is a tiny bit of history there. Would really, really dig an October game, maybe with an outside chance at a New Hampshire "double-dip" with Dartmouth playing (say) Marist? With the leaves changing and the weather starting to turn, that could be spectacular.

I'll take you back even further, one of the greatest football games I've ever attended: UNH - Lehigh Div. II playoffs at Taylor Stadium 1975. What a game! Back and forth scoring, a Lehigh kick return for a TD, a fake punt by UNH to set up the winning score (probably the only fake punt ever by a Bill Bowes team). We did Lehigh a favor and tore down the old wooden goalposts after the game. I'll never forget walking into the UNH locker room after the game and seeing UNH coach Bill Bowes dancing with the players to KC and the Sunshine Band's song 'Thats The Way (I Like It)'.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM

Too strong for Dartmouth. I understand they are now in negotiations for home-and-home FB games with Choate/Rosemary Hall, Phillips Andover, Lawrenceville and Kingswood/Oxford for future games.

UNHFootballAlum
September 22nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Come to Easton...last time I saw UNH was in 1981 as a sophomore. Final: UNH 21, LC 18

I played in that game. It was very hard hitting and a tough game.

UNHFootballAlum
September 22nd, 2009, 12:28 PM

I played in that game as a freshman. It was a hard hitting, fun game to be a part of.

crusader11
September 22nd, 2009, 12:28 PM
Too strong for Dartmouth. I understand they are now in negotiations for home-and-home FB games with Choate/Rosemary Hall, Phillips Andover, Lawrenceville and Kingswood/Oxford for future games.

Brunswick too.

Pards Rule
September 22nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
I played in that game. It was very hard hitting and a tough game.

If I recall (God and I wasnt on the team or anything - I need something to occupy my mind) you guys got off to a 21-0 halftime lead and we came roaring back in the second half and got 18 unanswered points and were driving midway thru the fourth right about midfield when Leopard Craig Williams (later one of the first contestants on American Gladiator) coughed the ball up trying to dig for an extra foot and UNH recovered. There went the comeback and the game. I listened to the first half in my dorm and then went over to watch the second half. Anyway UNHAlum, it would be good to have you visit Easton again. Fisher Field got a complete makeover!!

Gordon Shumway
September 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I would love to play some Patriot League Schools.

HOLY CROSS IS A NO BRAINER. Still bummin' I didn't make it down to 'Nova last year...

I think games with Holy Cross just make too much sense to actually happen. An easy 1.5 hour drive between the schools makes it ideal for fan travel, and cheap for the teams as well. Go figure.

The Colgate hookup makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Didn't Dartmouth stiff them for the next couple of years as well? Two teams looking for games in 2010-2011. A match made in Heaven, or rather Hanover, NH. xlolx

I guess the Lehigh games would most likely be 2012-2013.

RichH2
September 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Depending on who goes 1st but does look like LU for 2010-11 or 12-13. Should be fun. Was at 75 playoff game nip and tuck right until the end. Open flat pass by UNH to TE over our LB sealed the deal.

ngineer
September 22nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
Yes, I remember the games with UNH. Will be great to renew. I also recall us getting run over by Jerry Azumah up in NH. Not aware we had an opening next year. I know we open AT Drake, and have Villanova at home. Having UNH and Villanova in one year would really be a challenge.xrotatehx
Maybe UNH is taking the place of Villanova beginning in 2011 since our contract with VU ends next year.

UNHFootballAlum
September 22nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
If I recall (God and I wasnt on the team or anything - I need something to occupy my mind) you guys got off to a 21-0 halftime lead and we came roaring back in the second half and got 18 unanswered points and were driving midway thru the fourth right about midfield when Leopard Craig Williams (later one of the first contestants on American Gladiator) coughed the ball up trying to dig for an extra foot and UNH recovered. There went the comeback and the game. I listened to the first half in my dorm and then went over to watch the second half. Anyway UNHAlum, it would be good to have you visit Easton again. Fisher Field got a complete makeover!!

Believe me i remeber Craig williams and his Earl campbell like thighs. BTW, I was the one who recovered that fumble on the sideline

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2009, 05:52 PM

That was Bill Russo's first year, right? He really turned things around for you guys.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I think games with Holy Cross just make too much sense to actually happen. An easy 1.5 hour drive between the schools makes it ideal for fan travel, and cheap for the teams as well. Go figure.

The Colgate hookup makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Didn't Dartmouth stiff them for the next couple of years as well? Two teams looking for games in 2010-2011. A match made in Heaven, or rather Hanover, NH. xlolx

I guess the Lehigh games would most likely be 2012-2013.

We're done after 2011, but one wonders if DC will ask out of that commitment like Albany has done. At least in Albany's case it is to play a damn good, big-time, FBS program. DC seems to be abandoning any competitive opponents outside the Ivy League - just as they did with their basketball scheduling some years back.

danefan
September 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
We're done after 2011, but one wonders if DC will ask out of that commitment like Albany has done. At least in Albany's case it is to play a damn good, big-time, FBS program. DC seems to be abandoning any competitive opponents outside the Ivy League - just as they did with their basketball scheduling some years back.

I heard this weekend that Albany was proposing to have the game in 2011 either get rescheduled or pushed to another year. I believe its a 4-game contract. I don't think they're trying to necessarily get out of it.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
I heard this weekend that Albany was proposing to have the game in 2011 either get rescheduled or pushed to another year. I believe its a 4-game contract. I don't think they're trying to necessarily get out of it.

Glad to hear this. Albany-Colgate would be a good series, IMO.

TheValleyRaider
September 22nd, 2009, 10:20 PM
I'm am definitely in favor of a series with UNH xthumbsupx

Especially if it means we can get you guys into Hamilton at least once xnodx

Also good to hear that Albany will get back on :)

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM

I remember that game. It was a great contest. Bill Peach executed some great weaving, twisting (if slow-footed) punt returns that helped turn the tide towards UNH.

Great hilltop campus. Pre-football building which makes the stadium so much greater, I would presume!

Bring back the series!

Pards Rule
September 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM
That was Bill Russo's first year, right? He really turned things around for you guys.

Yes indeed...and what a turnaround it was! I believe we were 3-8 in 1980 and did NOT score a TD in six games!! Neil Putnam was fired at the end of a 32-0 home loss to Lehigh. We went to 9-2 in 1981 and set all kinds of offensive records. Matched up against the tough UNH squad and upset Lehigh at Taylor Stadium, 10-3, for the final game. It was excellent. If there was a mayoral election that year he would have won on write-ins!!

Pards Rule
September 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Believe me i remeber Craig williams and his Earl campbell like thighs. BTW, I was the one who recovered that fumble on the sideline

Damnit - it was almost out of bounds on your side. A foot or less? I forever was attuned to the risk-reward of driving for that extra foot. Way too many times it ends in a cough up. You would be shocked at the field/stadium today vs. 1981.

Pards Rule
September 23rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
I remember that game. It was a great contest. Bill Peach executed some great weaving, twisting (if slow-footed) punt returns that helped turn the tide towards UNH.

Great hilltop campus. Pre-football building which makes the stadium so much greater, I would presume!

Bring back the series!

Agreed! Somehow I have some foggy memories of his circumnavigations. Maybe I can get to go to Durham. Been to Manchester, Concord, Nashua, and Franklin Notch (sans the Old Man - what a shame! I missed him by a year!).

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
I'll take you back even further, one of the greatest football games I've ever attended: UNH - Lehigh Div. II playoffs at Taylor Stadium 1975. What a game! Back and forth scoring, a Lehigh kick return for a TD, a fake punt by UNH to set up the winning score (probably the only fake punt ever by a Bill Bowes team). We did Lehigh a favor and tore down the old wooden goalposts after the game. I'll never forget walking into the UNH locker room after the game and seeing UNH coach Bill Bowes dancing with the players to KC and the Sunshine Band's song 'Thats The Way (I Like It)'.

Scotty Seero to Mike Maroney -- greatest play in UNH history (or, at least, the most unexpected!). Game was played 5 days after Lehigh was awarded the Lambert Trophy, to boot.

Extra Credit Question: After KC & his music faded away, to where did UNH travel and whom did the Wildcats next play in the National Semi-Finals (Grantland Rice Bowl)?

Super Bonus Question: Who won and what was the score?

Crazy Bonus Question: Who eventually played in the 1975 Div II National Championship Game and who won?

xsmiley_wix

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 23rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Scotty Seero to Mike Maroney -- greatest play in UNH history (or, at least, the most unexpected!). Game was played 5 days after Lehigh was awarded the Lambert Trophy, to boot.

Extra Credit Question: After KC & his music faded away, to where did UNH travel and whom did the Wildcats next play in the National Semi-Finals (Grantland Rice Bowl)?

Super Bonus Question: Who won and what was the score?

Crazy Bonus Question: Who eventually played in the 1975 Div II National Championship Game and who won?

xsmiley_wix

Without opening a media guide or looking at any other web site:

Extra: UNH played Western Kentucky in Baton Rouge

Super: WKU 14-3

Crazy: WKU played xoopsx and IIRC xoopsx won! :p :D

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
Just did a little research. Too bad I didn't remember xoopsx.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Coach Bowes dancing to KC must have been a sight to see!!!! xeekx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
It's a shame that this will most likely be nothing more than a tune-up game for UNH should it happen next year. If Lehigh continues on their current course games against the PFL and maybe a D2 game should be considered. If they're going to play schollies they should look at URI, Towson and some of the other bottom feeders. Playing Villanova, UNH, UD right now is pointless imo.

dwtime
September 24th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Without opening a media guide or looking at any other web site:

Extra: UNH played Western Kentucky in Baton Rouge

Super: WKU 14-3

Crazy: WKU played xoopsx and IIRC xoopsx won! :p :D

I seem to remember (swatting away the cobwebs of 34 years) that UNH really had a good chance of winning the WKU game. I know they fumbled once and I think twice inside the 5 yard line getting no points. Bill Burnham, who in my opinion was on level with Azumah as the two greatest RB's in UNH history fumbled which was about as rare as a solar eclipse. Burnham was a different type of runner, punishing (30+ carries per game in most cases) and always gained yardage. I'm not much on 'official' football terms but his specialty was a sweep to the weak side? (shorter of the two sides of the field) there would be 5-6 players waiting for him and he'd usually bust through them for a good gain. Great runner, tough as nails.