PDA

View Full Version : Elon fan question

PhoenixMan
September 21st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Having lived through several dismal coaches, I am quite pleased with the job Coach Lembo has done. On the other hand, we have choked the last 2 seasons and missed the playoffs. If we miss the playoffs again, with this team, Hudgins a senior, veteran O Line, and Riddle. I for one anticipate myself starting some real grumbling about a possible coaching change. Am I completely alone in this? Just wondering..........xeyebrowx

Saint3333
September 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM
You guys are crazy if that talk starts. What he's done at Elon is turn a program that had won 15 games in five years to a top 15 FCS team this year in what four years. Looks like some Elon fans need a history lesson.

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/elon.htm

That's like WCU fans running Wagner out if he can get that team ranked by 2012. Sports fan have the shorted memories.

GATA
September 21st, 2009, 05:37 PM
This thread basically confirms my suspicions that Elon fans are morons.

Skjellyfetti
September 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM
Wow.

Last week... wins over Davidson and Presby = Socon Champions 2009.

This week... loss to Wake = Fire Lembo.

xlolx

PhoenixMan
September 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM

No one said fire Lembo, and the Wake game has NOTHING to do with it. Just saying, you only get so many chances to make the playoffs with a talented team. I fully realize that Georgia Southern fans are OK with living on the "history" of their program, and they are now accustomed to mediocrity. That doesn't mean everyone has to be cool with being a perennial also ran.

ElonFirefighter
September 21st, 2009, 06:04 PM
no, Lembo has raised student involvement, and given us a real shot a conference title and playoffs. He has produced. You must remember 2 years ags crash wasmostly due to a injured D-line. before we call for his head we need to see how he recruits in post riddle era and how his overall record is in the future. Id say at least 5 years of late season crashes before we even start thinking of this talk, because I doubt we could find someone at this time who can produce better results overall.

GoGSU
September 21st, 2009, 07:09 PM
Having lived through several dismal coaches, I am quite pleased with the job Coach Lembo has done. On the other hand, we have choked the last 2 seasons and missed the playoffs. If we miss the playoffs again, with this team, Hudgins a senior, veteran O Line, and Riddle. I for one anticipate myself starting some real grumbling about a possible coaching change. Am I completely alone in this? Just wondering..........xeyebrowx

OMG!!! Did I just read that right? Elon was the armpit sweat of the Southern Conference and for all of 1-AA for that matter until Lembo came along...If I was an Elon alum I would pay that man anything I could to stay!! The real problem here is that Elon has a taste of success and doesn't know how to humbly use it.....ie.."we will have beat'n GSU by half time and put in the scrubs" ...well my friend, you better take advantage of a young GSU team because we won't be young for long and will remember the smack talk that the "new bandwagon" Elon fans have talked these last 2 years...;)

phoenix3
September 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
This thread basically confirms my suspicions that one Elon fan is a moron.

There, fixed it for ya.

phoenix3
September 21st, 2009, 08:28 PM

Yes.

PhoenixMan
September 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM
Yes.

OK. So, tell me, how many years can they go without getting in the post season and you still be satisfied with the coaching staff? 2 more years? 3? Or will you be good 4 or 5 years from now and still satisfied with saying "Well, we are better than we were with Hamilton...or Seagraves....so let's keep him around"?? I said in my first post to start the thread...he has done a tremendous job, but this is the year to get to the next level (the playoffs).

whoanellie
September 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
OK. So, tell me, how many years can they go without getting in the post season and you still be satisfied with the coaching staff? 2 more years? 3? Or will you be good 4 or 5 years from now and still satisfied with saying "Well, we are better than we were with Hamilton...or Seagraves....so let's keep him around"?? I said in my first post to start the thread...he has done a tremendous job, but this is the year to get to the next level (the playoffs).

Son, xeekx
You have consumned one two many Zack Dogs. You are so off base I could pick you off. Why in God's green earth would you disgrace yourself and Our institution by even bringing up and trying to make a lame case on a topic that is irrelevant.
First go to the games. Support the program. Give a lot of money to the Phoenix Club for many years. Get some religion. and pray you never let me hear you utter anything close to what is obviously a cranial rectal infusion. Brrrr. xeekx

ASU_MBA
September 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
I hope they fire Lembo...that would be good for all the teams in the SoCon...Elon fans are fools if they want him gone...

gophoenix
September 21st, 2009, 09:55 PM

Holy cow no. We are graduating quality guys while being competitive in a great league. No reason to even talk coaching change at all for me. You want to risk getting in a crappy coach and being completely uncompetitive again? Look at GSU and Sewak, they haven't been the same since then. I am not about to start to want that at Elon. Lembo is doing a great job despite some of the bad games over the past 3 years. Overall, this is tons better than the alternative.

Saint and the GSU fans are right. Take a look at where Seagraves left the program, and the state Hamilton left it in before Lembo. We were one of the worst I-AA programs 5 years ago. We we getting 3000 fans for some games. Now, a normal day is 8000 with near 11000 for some normal games, App game aside. Now we are a competitive team almost every game no matter who we play. We have a fan base that cares. The media cares.

I can't even believe this is a question being asked. We aren't App. App is feeding off decades of success and off the extreme success lately. Outside of that, there isn't a team in the SoCon that can discount us anymore. And you want to risk it all because.... why?!?

This is bad mojo. I am just floored this question is asked. Lembo is the best thing to happen to the program since the NAIA Championships....

gophoenix
September 21st, 2009, 10:02 PM
Wow.

Last week... wins over Davidson and Presby = Socon Champions 2009.

This week... loss to Wake = Fire Lembo.

xlolx

Again, tack that into the "it was GSU fans that said that not us" category. Cripes.

GreatAppSt
September 21st, 2009, 10:09 PM

xlolx

ngineer
September 21st, 2009, 10:12 PM
Amazing....xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxro tatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx Yes fire him before he leaves you for a BCS school.xrolleyesx

seantaylor
September 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM
The only reason Eloan is even in the running is because the Socon is way down. GSU and Furman are shells of their former selves.

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 21st, 2009, 11:05 PM
There, fixed it for ya.

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

ASU
September 21st, 2009, 11:07 PM
OMG!!! Did I just read that right? Elon was the armpit sweat of the Southern Conference and for all of 1-AA for that matter until Lembo came along...If I was an Elon alum I would pay that man anything I could to stay!! The real problem here is that Elon has a taste of success and doesn't know how to humbly use it.....ie.."we will have beat'n GSU by half time and put in the scrubs" ...well my friend, you better take advantage of a young GSU team because we won't be young for long and will remember the smack talk that the "new bandwagon" Elon fans have talked these last 2 years...;)

You get younger every year....when you sign 100 players a year you should not run so many off and therefore be so young.

chattanoogamocs
September 22nd, 2009, 03:15 AM
Ok, so there is a certain irony to this thread, because didn't some Lehigh fans say they were happy he left because the knock on him was that he would rack up a lot of regular season wins (44-14) but couldn't get them to that next level?

I swear, not trying to start anything...I just remember some of the Lehigh fans basically saying "you can have him" when he first went to Elon.

Personally, I would be perfectly happy if y'all hadn't gotten rid of Hamilton. xsmiley_wix

I couldn't imagine wanting to get a rid of a coach whose worst season was 5-6 (his only losing season out of 7)

gophoenix
September 22nd, 2009, 05:28 AM
The only reason Eloan is even in the running is because the Socon is way down. GSU and Furman are shells of their former selves.

Furman and GSU both were used to playing in a conference where all but themselves and App were in the top 25 of I-AA, and Wofford was top 50 while UTC, The Citadel, VMI, Elon, ETSU and UTC were all relatively bottom 40 teams.

It's funny how when other teams get better and do better (ie those bottom feeders are now basically top 50 teams), it's not because they are better, it's because you aren't as good.

But hey, whatever makes you feel better about your situation. xthumbsupx

ngineer
September 22nd, 2009, 07:02 AM
Ok, so there is a certain irony to this thread, because didn't some Lehigh fans say they were happy he left because the knock on him was that he would rack up a lot of regular season wins (44-14) but couldn't get them to that next level?

I swear, not trying to start anything...I just remember some of the Lehigh fans basically saying "you can have him" when he first went to Elon.

Personally, I would be perfectly happy if y'all hadn't gotten rid of Hamilton. xsmiley_wix

I couldn't imagine wanting to get a rid of a coach whose worst season was 5-6 (his only losing season out of 7)

Yes, some fans made that criticism of Lembo claiming that he really was riding the wave created by Higgins. Pete rode out Higgin's recruits and then went 'mediocre' (i.e. 8-3 season)..At the same time, there were discension problems in the squad. It was Pete's first time as a HC and a very young HC, and he stubbed his toe a few times in dealing with alumni, players and some assistants. Overall, though, he has shown himself to be a pretty bright guy and I would think has learned a lot from his experience at Lehigh. I think Pete saw the handwriting on the wall in terms of Lehigh's and the PL in general ability to recruit without scholarships and jumped at the Elon opening as no-lose proposition. He turns around a down program and uses it as a stepping stone, or if not successful, then Elon never was. So there was no real 'down' side to the move.

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 22nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Lembo's contract runs through 2012. He is not in any danger of being let go before the end of the deal.

WVAPPmountaineer
September 22nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
OK guys - Let's not hammer the tradition of Elon Football - they are the ONLY OTHER team in the state of North Carolina to win a national championship in football and they were back to back - Yes, they had some down years but there is a successful history there - Lembo will only be leaving because he wants to ----

james_lawfirm
September 22nd, 2009, 07:43 AM

I remember Coach Lembo the first time I saw his team in Boone DURING THE PLAYOFFS!!! He brought an unheralded Lafayette (or was it Lehigh - I mean no disrespect, but I don't remember) into Boone in 2005 in the first round of the playoffs & gave us all we could handle. I remember thinking how well coached that team was.

Elon has a gem of a Coach there. And, I agree with GATA, to merely ask the question that began this thread is moronic & counter-productive.

elon77
September 22nd, 2009, 07:54 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx Please keep your thoughts to yourself, you are embarrassing the other Elon fans on this site. If Pete leaves it will be to a bigger better job.

ElonPride
September 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM

I shouldn't even THINK about replying to this thread......but are you serious man?!?!? What the HECK are you thinking?

Unless we start having a sting of 2-9 seasons again, I will not be on board with your line thinking.

And why start this thread on AGS, go to our on board for this discussion. Geez.

I echo elon77, this was embarrassing to see posted.

ElonPride
September 22nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
OK guys - Let's not hammer the tradition of Elon Football - they are the ONLY OTHER team in the state of North Carolina to win a national championship in football and they were back to back - Yes, they had some down years but there is a successful history there - Lembo will only be leaving because he wants to ----

ACTUALLY, there are 3 teams in North Carolina with national titles.

1. Lenoir-Rhyne - 1960 NAIA Champs
2. Elon - 1980 NAIA Champs
3. Elon - 1981 NAIA Champs
4. ASU - 2005 I-AA Champs
5. ASU - 2006 I-AA Champs
6. ASU - 2007 I-AA Champs

I appreciate you bringing Elon's football tradition to people's attention! Many here do not know!

AppIAA
September 22nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
I hope they fire Lembo.. unless that results in them getting another coach who encourages late hits ;) We dont need that in the SoCon!

Seriously though, Elon is stupid to get rid of that guy. It may not be too long before he opts to leave, but to fire a guy who has brought them to a perennial conference champ would be idiotic.

PhoenixMan
September 22nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=whoanellie;1413884]Son, xeekx

First go to the games. Support the program. Give a lot of money to the Phoenix Club for many years. Get some religion.

I do all of the above. I was AT the NAIA National Championship games in 1980 and 1981. So, don't try to come across like I'm some bandwagon fan. I NEVER said fire the guy. My point was.....if we miss the playoffs again, with a late season meltdown....is he still God's gift to Elon as the Phoenix fans on her seem to believe? Lembo isn't the only reason for the turnaround. The university and the athletics department has risen to new levels as well. He's just part of it. Geez, I think the guy has done a good job......I just happen to think that getting it done when it counts (at the end of the season) is somewhat important in the coaching world. And, a Zack's hotdog does sound good.xnodx

Seven Would Be Nice
September 22nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
No one said fire Lembo, and the Wake game has NOTHING to do with it. Just saying, you only get so many chances to make the playoffs with a talented team. I fully realize that Georgia Southern fans are OK with living on the "history" of their program, and they are now accustomed to mediocrity. That doesn't mean everyone has to be cool with being a perennial also ran.

WOW!!! Are you serious??? Obviously you haven't talked to any GSU fans. We fired a coach that took us to the playoffs... and that makes you think we are happy with our "history" and we just simply aren't going to try any more? Our coach in 06 set our program back a good couple of years, throw in a complete offensive overhaul, some APR/scholarship issues, and some players that left due to the coaching staff revolving door and we are lucky to be where we are today. The fact that hatcher has pulled out a winning record while mopping up the previous staff's mess is amazing. He seems to have gotten a lot of that stuff fixed, and a few of us have been saying that '10 and '11 are going to be monster years for us.

Oh, and as far as firing Lembo... honestly I wouldn't mind if you did. Combine that with hatch getting things turned around down here, and we can go back to taking you guys to the woodshed each year.

Saint3333
September 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Saint and the GSU fans are right.

Not sure about being lumped in with GSU, but for the record GP and I agree, mark this one on the calendar xeekx.

Waco Kid
September 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Furman and GSU both were used to playing in a conference where all but themselves and App were in the top 25 of I-AA, and Wofford was top 50 while UTC, The Citadel, VMI, Elon, ETSU and UTC were all relatively bottom 40 teams.

It's funny how when other teams get better and do better (ie those bottom feeders are now basically top 50 teams), it's not because they are better, it's because you aren't as good.

But hey, whatever makes you feel better about your situation. xthumbsupx

You're crazy if you think GSU and Furman have the same talent they once did and that the only reason they are losing is because other teams have gotten better. If they were only having trouble in the SoCon then yeah you could say the conference caught up to them, but they have struggled in general. Looking at the OOC results so far this season I'd say the SoCon is getting weaker not stronger.

And like everyone else said Elon would be crazy to get rid of Lembo right now. He isn't the second coming of Bear Bryant, but Elon was in sad shape prior to his arrival. Just be glad you guys are in the conversation now.

gophoenix
September 22nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
You're crazy if you think GSU and Furman have the same talent they once did and that the only reason they are losing is because other teams have gotten better. If they were only having trouble in the SoCon then yeah you could say the conference caught up to them, but they have struggled in general. Looking at the OOC results so far this season I'd say the SoCon is getting weaker not stronger.

And like everyone else said Elon would be crazy to get rid of Lembo right now. He isn't the second coming of Bear Bryant, but Elon was in sad shape prior to his arrival. Just be glad you guys are in the conversation now.

That's not what was said. What was said was that the only reason Elon was a contender was because GSU and Furman are shells of themselves; not because any one of The Citadel, Wofford, Elon or Samford are better. If that was true, App's talent has done nothing but improve over the past half decade, but the gap with App has gotten smaller, proving that it isn't just a talent level drop in Furman and GSU that has lead to others being in the top of the conference now.

FUrams7
September 22nd, 2009, 11:15 AM
Off the field, the program has made noticeable improvements in the areas of academic progress, recruiting, alumni relations, home game attendance, scheduling, community outreach and fund-raising under Lembo’s guidance.

At 39 years of age, Lembo remains one of the youngest head coaches in all of Division I football. His career record of 64-28 (.696) makes him one of the top active coaches at the Division I FCS level in terms of overall winning percentage.
Under Lembo, the 2008 edition of the Phoenix finished with an 8-4 overall mark, posting back-to-back winning seasons for the first time since the 1999 and 2000 campaigns. Elon also notched a SoCon ledger of 6-2 to finish in third place in the league. Ranked among the nation’s top-25 programs in both The Sports Network and FCS Coaches polls all season long, the Phoenix peaked at number three in late October before finishing the year rated as high as 17th in the country.

Lembo is a terrific coach!! you're nuts. the man elevates yuor program.. and ur whining u haven't won a NC yet. loooool

phoenixphanatic21
September 22nd, 2009, 11:18 AM
To answer the question here,

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO.

I'd also like to clarify no Elon fans are saying we should fire Lembo. We all love the guy and all he's done for this program. As has been mentioned earlier, the only reason Lembo will leave Elon would be for his own accord. So please don't think anyone wants to see Lembo gone.

Thank you for your time.

Phoenixrising
September 22nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
Being a senior here at Elon, and thus not having a complete understanding of the history of Elon's history leading up to Lembo's years here, I can at least understand the question PhoenixMan posted. I consider myself to be a true diehard fan (one of the few here at Elon - what I can only attribute to a lack of recent historical success) and these past two consecutive late-season collapses (particularly in the fall 07 season) really got to me. And the downright pitiful attempt at Wake Forest last Saturday was pretty discouraging considering the rest of the top 15 teams in the FCS could, for the most part, easily compete with some of the weaker teams like Wake in conferences like the ACC. It would be foolish for me to not admit my apprehensions and suspicions of Lembo's abilities to hold his team together in high stress situations. And it is equally foolish to place Lembo at the sole center of Eon's recent success. 50% percent of our alumni have graduated in the last 15 years (our academic success is only about that old) and most of them are just now reaching an appropriate age where they can finally donate to the school - particularly in athletic programs. This has provided us with better scholarships and a stronger ability to recruit nationally.

But even if I can sympathize with your concerns, you have got to be pretty narrow-sighted to not look at the big picture for what Elon has done, and what this season, and the many season’s to come, have in store for our University. What we have accomplished has been great by many standards and has impressed a lot of people. We are a force to be reckoned with. Why else would ESPN feature us in an article about how Wake was actually taking us seriously? GSU will answer a lot of questions about Lembo’s leadership and our teams abilities. I’m a firm believer that you should always give a person enough rope to hang himself. And Lembo hasn’t even tied the slipknot yet.

GATA
September 22nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Bashing Pete Lembo at Elon is as silly as South Carolina fans bashing Steve Spurrier. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Elon would be equivalent to Chatty and Western Carolina as "bottomfeeders" if it weren't for Lembo coming in and completely turning that program around.

When was the last time South Carolina went 4 consecutive seasons where they had a record of .500 or better? Because Steve Spurrier has provided that...

Some folks can't recognize a good thing when they've got it...GSU is GUILTY AS CHARGED when it comes to that. We're still trying to dig ourselves out of the ****hole our Athletic Director threw us into.

PhoenixSupreme
September 22nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Someone earlier mentioned, seeing how Lembo recruits and fares in the post-Riddle and Hudgins era. If the recruiting quality drops off and the playoff near-misses continue to happen, I would consider looking for someone who could remedy those issues, but it would be a hard discussion to bring up. Even if Coach Lembo was to falter over the next few years, it would still be hard to raise up discussions on firing him, seeing how much he has done for the Elon/Burlington community and how approachable he is to the fans and students. As it stands right now, it seems that recruiting is getting better each season and is correlating with quality gameplay as well as wins on the field in a way where both aspects are feeding off of each other in a positive way. Coach Lembo has not only paved the way for not only the improvement of Elon football, but has also been a factor in paving the improvement of Elon athletics as a whole

g-webb1994
September 22nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
If y'all are dumb enough to get rid of Lembo, he'll land at a SOCON or Big South school as HC within a week. It would be scary to see what he would do with a Coastal, Chatty, or GSU for that matter.....

ElonPride
September 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
If y'all are dumb enough to get rid of Lembo, he'll land at a SOCON or Big South school as HC within a week. It would be scary to see what he would do with a Coastal, Chatty, or GSU for that matter.....

MY GOSH! PLEASE REMEMBER THAT WAS A COMMENT BY A SINGLE ELON FAN AND IS NOT ECHOED BY THE MAJORITY!!!!!!!

blueballs
September 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
I certainly hope (for Elon's sake) the Elon powers that be don't do something rash and act like Sam Baker and cut off the patient's leg to cure an ingrown toenail.

Lembo may have some warts but winning at a strong academic private school and running a clean program ain't two of them.xrolleyesx

PhoenixMan
September 22nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
This has ventured far from the original post....I never said fire the guy, or even consider it at this point. I even started the post with how pleased I am with what he has done!! He is a great catch for Elon. I only said....and I say again, with this level of talent, yet another late season total collapse (like settling for one measly field goal with the offensive talent they had/have last year in a 26-3 lost to Liberty, with it ALL on the line) may start some grumbling. I pay Phoenix Club dues, go to every home game, and most away.....and have for years. If he shows he can win when it counts on a big stage, I'll sing his praises even more. If not....I hope I won't be the only Elon fan with high expectations.
'

chattanoogamocs
September 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Bashing Pete Lembo at Elon is as silly as South Carolina fans bashing Steve Spurrier. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Elon would be equivalent to Chatty and Western Carolina as "bottomfeeders" if it weren't for Lembo coming in and completely turning that program around.

When was the last time South Carolina went 4 consecutive seasons where they had a record of .500 or better? Because Steve Spurrier has provided that...

Some folks can't recognize a good thing when they've got it...GSU is GUILTY AS CHARGED when it comes to that. We're still trying to dig ourselves out of the ****hole our Athletic Director threw us into.

Chattanooga...best "bottomfeeder" in the SoCon (with four SoCon titles) :)

ngineer
September 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
I remember Coach Lembo the first time I saw his team in Boone DURING THE PLAYOFFS!!! He brought an unheralded Lafayette (or was it Lehigh - I mean no disrespect, but I don't remember) into Boone in 2005 in the first round of the playoffs & gave us all we could handle. I remember thinking how well coached that team was.
Elon has a gem of a Coach there. And, I agree with GATA, to merely ask the question that began this thread is moronic & counter-productive.

Sorry, but that was Frank Tavani and Lafayette. Lehigh has never been to Boone...at least in the last 60 years...;)

james_lawfirm
September 22nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Sorry, but that was Frank Tavani and Lafayette. Lehigh has never been to Boone...at least in the last 60 years...;)

You are correct, sir! I had to look it up. App met Lafayette in the 1st round of the playoffs in 2005. It was one of those "L" teams from Pennsylvania. Pete Lembo coached Lehigh in 2005, and Lehigh lost to Lafayette in the last game of the year & Lafayette made it into the playoffs.

However, although Lehigh may not have played in Boone in 60+ years, they did play in Banner Elk vs. Lees-McRae College in the early '70s, +/-. I was at that game (spectating).

If you don't know where Banner Elk is, it's about 10 miles from Boone in the same county.

ngineer
September 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
You are correct, sir! I had to look it up. App met Lafayette in the 1st round of the playoffs in 2005. It was one of those "L" teams from Pennsylvania. Pete Lembo coached Lehigh in 2005, and Lehigh lost to Lafayette in the last game of the year & Lafayette made it into the playoffs.

However, although Lehigh may not have played in Boone in 60+ years, they did play in Banner Elk vs. Lees-McRae College in the early '70s, +/-. I was at that game (spectating).
If you don't know where Banner Elk is, it's about 10 miles from Boone in the same county.

xconfusedx Well, I just went through our complete history as published in Lehigh's Media Guide, and I can't find any listing of Lees-McRae College. During the 1970's the only forays into the Carolinas were against Davidson. I've now also checked back into the '40's and up thru the '80's and can't find a game with them. Only other southern schools were VMI, Furman, The Citadel, Virginia, JMU, and Wm and Mary. I think you must have us confused with someone else...though not too many teams out there wearing brown!;)