18. Wofford 1003
19. Delaware 680
20. Eastern Washington 589
21. Eastern Kentucky 407
22. Liberty 400
23. Holy Cross 393
24. Texas St. 344
25. Furman 340
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Jacksonville St. (54), Eastern Illinois (37), Florida A&M (34), Maine (30), Samford (28), Colgate (20), Grambling St. (11), Albany (9), Georgia Southern (8), Stephen F. Austin (8), Pennsylvania (5).

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Central Arkansas
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Maine

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM
9. McNeese St. 1913
10. Appalachian St. 1711

Reverse of last week, no? xeyebrowx

WestCoastAggie
September 21st, 2009, 12:02 PM
R.A.,

Did you vote for Howard? xlolx

GeauxLions94
September 21st, 2009, 12:03 PM
115 voters ... impressive xthumbsupx

JSU02
September 21st, 2009, 12:07 PM
OMG, why no love for Jax State?

danefan
September 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM

I suspect it is just the record and nothing else. Even though that's crap, that's probably what happened.

nmatsen
September 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Figured UNI would jump a little more than they did, from 105 out of 2nd place to 78 out of 2nd place. I didn't think we would jump Nova but thought we would come close. It doesn't appear they played well against what should have been a far inferior opponent. On the other hand we beat a team by 30 that had everyones heads turned the two weeks before. Oh well, I had to find something to complain about, complaints are few and far between this time of year in Cedar Falls.

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM
R.A.,

Did you vote for Howard? xlolx

Nope xlolx

I would have though xlolxxlolx

COME ON AGS POLLSTERS!!! THE FCS COACHES HAVE VOTED FAMU #25!!

danefan
September 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM
Nope xlolx

Coaches poll sucks. FAMU might eventually be in the top 25, but what have they done yet to honestly desserve it?

And BTW - I appreciate your effort, I have fought the same type of battle the last 2 years on here. Good luck.

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 12:13 PM
Coaches poll sucks. FAMU might eventually be in the top 25, but what have they done yet to honestly desserve it?

Okay... Defend Elon.

WMTribe90
September 21st, 2009, 12:14 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
1. Richmond (95) 2848
2. Villanova (11) 2679
3. Northern Iowa (8) 2601
4. Montana (1) 2439
5. William & Mary 2359
6. New Hampshire 2194
7. James Madison 2090
8. Southern Illinois 1997
9. McNeese St. 1913
10. Appalachian St. 1711
11. Central Arkansas 1520
12. Elon 1497
13. Weber St. 1491
14. Cal Poly 1258
15. South Dakota St. 1202
16. Massachusetts 1194
17. South Carolina St. 1064
18. Wofford 1003
19. Delaware 680
20. Eastern Washington 589
21. Eastern Kentucky 407
22. Liberty 400
23. Holy Cross 393
24. Texas St. 344
25. Furman 340
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Jacksonville St. (54), Eastern Illinois (37), Florida A&M (34), Maine (30), Samford (28), Colgate (20), Grambling St. (11), Albany (9), Georgia Southern (8), Stephen F. Austin (8), Pennsylvania (5).

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Central Arkansas
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Maine

JSU should be in the top 25. Wofford and Weber St have similar resumes with two FBS loses.

Furman shouldn't be ranked.

Surprised SFA didn't get more votes, I think they are being overlooked a bit.

Wofford, UD and EWU all a bit high IMO.

Overall a good poll.

RabidRabbit
September 21st, 2009, 12:14 PM

xbawlingxxbawlingx 1-2 with the win over a SWAC? xconfusedx

Higher on ORV than E. ILL with their two MVFC OOC wins.xcoolx

JSU02
September 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
I suspect it is just the record and nothing else. Even though that's crap, that's probably what happened.

That what I get for expecting voters to look at something other than the record.xrolleyesx

danefan
September 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Okay... Defend Elon.

I can't. Never said I could. I also don't vote anymore. I don't see enough games to make an educated vote and so I don't do it.

I suspect (read hope) people have seen both Elon and FAMU and think Elon is better. On record alone, you can't defend it though.xpeacex

WMTribe90
September 21st, 2009, 12:17 PM

I had FAMU at 26 or 27. Competition has been on the lighter side, but I think one more win will get them in t o the top 25.

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
I had FAMU at 26 or 27. Competition has been on the lighter side, but I think one more win will get them in t o the top 25.

Okay, so if FAMU blows out Tenn State and gets ranked, what happens if they lose by 21 plus to the Hurricanes? FAMU drops out again?

That wouldn't be fair, especially based on how AGS voting has gone thus far.

JSU02
September 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
xbawlingxxbawlingx 1-2 with the win over a SWAC? xconfusedx

Higher on ORV than E. ILL with their two MVFC OOC wins.xcoolx

Yes, we played a nationaly ranked Georgia Tech and lost by 20, and led #18 FSU pretty much the entire game until the last 35 seconds, so yeah, much higher than them, like top 20.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM
I put Florida A&M on my ballot...

R.A, there's a lot of teams on that fringe area - SFA for instance is one of them. So many FBS games early, that a few teams receive a free pass for a week or so as they get their wins against real foes that matter - FCS.

I warned the Bobcat fans that they'd probably fall this week. Looks to be true to me...

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM
Yes, we played a nationaly ranked Georgia Tech and lost by 20, and led #18 FSU pretty much the entire game until the last 35 seconds, so yeah, much higher than them, like top 20.

I watched Jacksonville State play, they're legit.

An at- large is the only way the 'Cocks make the playoffs, right?

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 12:22 PM
I put Florida A&M on my ballot...

R.A, there's a lot of teams on that fringe area - SFA for instance is one of them. So many FBS games early, that a few teams receive a free pass for a week or so as they get their wins against real foes that matter - FCS.

I warned the Bobcat fans that they'd probably fall this week. Looks to be true to me...

SFA blew out their last opponent.

JSU02
September 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM

No, we have no chance of making the playoffs because of a historical APR penalty. And what a shame that is.
BTW this years team has a 950

danefan
September 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM

No Jax State is completely inelgibile for the playoffs this year.

WMTribe90
September 21st, 2009, 12:25 PM
Okay, so if FAMU blows out Tenn State and gets ranked, what happens if they lose by 21 plus to the Hurricanes? FAMU drops out again?

That wouldn't be fair, espcially based on how AGS voting has gone thus far.

Cross that bridge when we get to it. Will depend on how close the play Miami and what happens to other ranked teams between now and then.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
So if you played and lost 10 I-A games I guess you'd have them #1?

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM
what happens if they lose by 21 plus to the Hurricanes?
Do you think anyone would expect anything cloer than 21? I-A losses to top 25 teams rarely have an impact on I-AA rankings.

JSU02
September 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM
No, but explain how in the heck Wofford and Weber ranked so much higher than us? It sure isn't because they played better teams...

DOME
September 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM
Figured UNI would jump a little more than they did, from 105 out of 2nd place to 78 out of 2nd place. I didn't think we would jump Nova but thought we would come close. It doesn't appear they played well against what should have been a far inferior opponent. On the other hand we beat a team by 30 that had everyones heads turned the two weeks before. Oh well, I had to find something to complain about, complaints are few and far between this time of year in Cedar Falls.

I don't care what time of year it is, you can always complain about the condition of University Ave in Cedar Falls!!

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
No, we have no chance of making the playoffs because of a historical APR penalty. And what a shame that is.
BTW this years team has a 950

Man that's tough.

It's easy to see the polling bias here though... it gets easier to see if one is an FCS & HBCU football fan;)

If the 'Cocks can't make the playoffs, voters won't want Jacksonville State "take'n da spot" of a team that has a shot of an At- large bid. SO biased pollsters are going to keep the Gamecocks out of the polls as long as they can.

It's similar to how biased pollsters feel about MEAC squads... they don't think MEAC teams are going to win any games in the playoffs anyway, so their views are why should the MEAC get an automatic bid or at- large bids? And why should MEAC schools be voted high in the polls?

It's not right all around!

Just because Jacksonville State can't make the playoffs, doesn't mean the Cocks shouldn't get the rankings in the polls they deserve.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 12:34 PM
No, but explain how in the heck Wofford and Weber ranked so much higher than us? It sure isn't because they played better teams...
They return more from what were clearly better teams last year. With only three games, many of which are I-A and D2 games (which are usually horrible indicators of strength), you still have to look at expectations at this point. As a couple more weeks go by, last year is completely thrown out and we go 100% on this year's performance. xpeacex

danefan
September 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM
RA,
Please listen to my advice - it could save you a lot of personal frustration. I went through this entire analysis last year much to everyone's enjoyment on here (I hate you Wideright).

If you start attempting to apply logic to these polls you will go nuts. Just forget about it. You'll go in circles and get nowhere and eventually your brain will start to ooze out of your ear. Its not worth it.

xpeacex

putter
September 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Dont know if I agree R.A. SC State made a statement against App last year and I was impressed with Jax St with the way they played FSU. I have SC St, Jax St and FAMU ranked becuase of how they have played. Is it fair that that bias exists, probably not, but keep playing well and the playoffs will be there.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 12:36 PM
Man that's tough.

It's easy to see the polling bias here though... it gets easier to see if one is an FCS & HBCU football fan;)

If the 'Cocks can't make the playoffs, voters won't want Jacksonville State "take'n da spot" of a team that has a shot of an At- large bid. SO biased pollsters are going to keep the Gamecocks out of the polls as long as they can.

It's similar to how biased pollsters feel about MEAC squads... they don't think MEAC teams are going to win any games in the playoffs anyway, so their views are why should the MEAC get an automatic bid or at- large bids? And why should MEAC schools be voted high in the polls?
xconfusedx xsmhx The OVC and MEAC's performance in the playoffs DOES have a lot to do with it and it SHOULD. That's often the only time a MEAC or OVC team will face a CAA, SoCon, MVFC, etc.. team. Having your #1 team lose those games (often to the #2 or 3 team from the other conference) says something about the strength of your conferences.

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
RA,
Please listen to my advice - it could save you a lot of personal frustration. I went through this entire analysis last year much to everyone's enjoyment on here (I hate you Wideright).

If you start attempting to apply logic to these polls you will go nuts. Just forget about it. You'll go in circles and get nowhere and eventually your brain will start to ooze out of your ear. Its not worth it.

xpeacex

You're right. I'm too McCoy right now. I need to be more like Spock. LOL

appirishmen
September 21st, 2009, 12:39 PM
Okay... Defend Elon.

i cant. i said last week they are too high. IMO they still are.

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Dont know if I agree R.A. SC State made a statement against App last year and I was impressed with Jax St with the way they played FSU. I have SC St, Jax St and FAMU ranked becuase of how they have played. Is it fair that that bias exists, probably not, but keep playing well and the playoffs will be there.

xthumbsupx

xthumbsupx

I agree with your statements putter.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
You're right.
He is right about you (or he) going crazy. Because you're fighting a battle that can't be won on paper, it has to be won on the field. You honestly don't recall Hampton being in the Top 5 not that long ago? And getting a seed? A lot of people feel burned by placing them that high to see them go down in the first round.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM
Very, very, very surprised that Harvard didn't even get 5 stinkin' "others receiving votes." Come on, a loss against a Top 25 school - and not a bad one at that - shouldn't drop you off the face of the earth. Let's put it this way: who's a better team, Harvard or Maine?

grizband
September 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM
To early to know much of anything about teams yet. Everything will become clear over the next few weeks as to where teams sit.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 12:48 PM
Let's put it this way: who's a better team, Harvard or Maine?
Who cares? Neither are in my ballot. xcoffeex

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM
He is right about you (or he) going crazy. Because you're fighting a battle that can't be won on paper, it has to be won on the field. You honestly don't recall Hampton being in the Top 5 not that long ago? And getting a seed? A lot of people feel burned by placing them that high to see them go down in the first round.

This is 2009.

That was 2005.

Get over it!

aceinthehole
September 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM

EXACTLY! This poll is still a popularity contest.

There is just no reason Maine should get a single vote. A OT win vs. a D-II and a win vs. Northeastern, not to mention a loss to Albany!

Harvard is 0-1. How does a loss to Holy Cross get you votes? Clearly a win at Lehigh is worth nothing right now (and won't be until Holy Cross beats them).

GSUhooligan
September 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM

X2.

Ivytalk
September 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM

There is just no reason Maine should get a single vote. A OT win vs. a D-II and a win vs. Northeastern, not to mention a loss to Albany!

Harvard is 0-1. How does a loss to Holy Cross get you votes? Clearly a win at Lehigh is worth nothing right now (and won't be until Holy Cross beats them).

Huh? Harvard lost to #23 HC and got zero votes. That's the way it should be.

Penn lost to #2 Villanova, but it was fairly close, thus generating a handful of Quaker votes. That's OK, too.

GSUhooligan
September 21st, 2009, 12:59 PM
RA,

xpeacex

IDK why you're so upset. Albany has more votes than GSU right now, despite the fact that you lost to them and have a worse record.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 01:01 PM
This is 2009.

That was 2005.

Get over it!
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

What did the MEAC do in 2006, 2007 or 2008 to change people's minds. SCSt's loss to App last year? xlolx

aceinthehole
September 21st, 2009, 01:02 PM
Huh? Harvard lost to #23 HC and got zero votes. That's the way it should be.

Penn lost to #2 Villanova, but it was fairly close, thus generating a handful of Quaker votes. That's OK, too.

Yes, I agree with you. Sorry, I was refuting LFN's earlier stupidity!

LFN: Very, very, very surprised that Harvard didn't even get 5 stinkin' "others receiving votes." Come on, a loss against a Top 25 school - and not a bad one at that - shouldn't drop you off the face of the earth. Let's put it this way: who's a better team, Harvard or Maine?

LFN - CCSU has a "quality win" and a loss to a top-5 team, yet doesn't have a single vote. Why is that? I'm sure a win this week at Columbia (a team that just beat Fordham) won't get us in the top-25 either.

Just because Harvard was a preseason top-25 doesn't mean they EARNED it!!!! Maine doesn't deserve a single vote either!

andy7171
September 21st, 2009, 01:04 PM
Guys polls in the first half of the season are meaningless.

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

What did the MEAC do in 2006, 2007 or 2008 to change people's minds. SCSt's loss to App last year? xlolx

Laugh all you want...

47-7
27-17

looks like Del State's closing that gap pretty quickly over there on the other side of the bay...

danefan
September 21st, 2009, 01:06 PM
IDK why you're so upset. Albany has more votes than GSU right now, despite the fact that you lost to them and have a worse record.

I'm not upset. I don't think Albany should get votes now. I never said that. I'm simply reacting to RA's discontent about FAMU.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM
Laugh all you want...

47-7
27-17

looks like Del State's closing that gap pretty quickly over there on the other side of the bay...
xconfusedx Again, that has what to do with this? UD nor DSU have been in my ballot this year.

What has the MEAC done since Hampton was a Top 5 team?

BTW, if you saw my ballot you'd laugh. xwhistlex

aceinthehole
September 21st, 2009, 01:10 PM
Guys polls in the first half of the season are meaningless.

Yes, Andy, but you know if a NEC team like Albany and CCSU can't make a splash with non-conference wins early in the season, voters will never give NEC regular season wins enough value.

If Albany runs the table prior to their CCSU matchup to 6-2, will that move them INTO the polls?

If CCSU can win at Columbia and run the NEC until the UA game (6-1), will that move us INTO the top-25?

At what point can these 2 teams break into the top-25????

Its much easier to STAY in the polls to break INTO them. That's why preseason and early voting is important.

smallcollegefbfan
September 21st, 2009, 01:12 PM
I can't. Never said I could. I also don't vote anymore. I don't see enough games to make an educated vote and so I don't do it.

I suspect (read hope) people have seen both Elon and FAMU and think Elon is better. On record alone, you can't defend it though.xpeacex

I have seen both play and I think FAMU is good and have no problem with them in a top 25. Elon plays much better competition so that helps them out. We truly won't know if a team really deserves it or not until 2-3 more weeks of games. It is still early. I mean App State doesn't have any wins yet, Weber State has only beaten Idaho State, and then a few others have no quality wins yet. Most of this is still based on 1 or 2 games and preseason hype. All the preseason hype should be whittled out of this here in 2-3 weeks like I said.

No reason to get all caught up in this stuff yet because this week's poll means NOTHING in the grand scheme of things. If your team or league is getting legit disrespect in week 9, 10, or 11 then I would say there is cause for concern. You have to let things play out before you jump on these things. If week 3 meant a lot then the Gardner-Webb linebackers are way overhyped, edwards has no shot at the Payton based on numbers alone, and App State was the most overrated team in the poll. Andre Roberts has done nothing so far and probably won't get drafted based on production. Do we know that stuff for sure yet? Heck, they are ridiculous statements but there is statistical evidence that could back it up right now. Let's see how things go before we jump on rankings and things. Look at mid-season awards that will probably come out in 3 weeks or so and you know good and well half of those players will fall off by the end of the year.

Big Al
September 21st, 2009, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't call Wofford's losses as "similar" to Weber's losses. Weber was competitve against Wyoming & Colorado State. Wofford got blown out by Wisky and USF.

JSU should be in the top 25. Wofford and Weber St have similar resumes with two FBS loses.

Overall a good poll.

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM
xconfusedx Again, that has what to do with this? UD nor DSU have been in my ballot this year.

What has the MEAC done since Hampton was a Top 5 team?

BTW, if you saw my ballot you'd laugh. xwhistlex

it's clear that we've making progress.

2006... 3 point loss
2007... blow out loss to the National runners up
2008... close loss to the SoCon champs

Ask all you want about what we've done, but the Del/ Del State example was a clear illustration of what we've done... in two years Del State has going from 40 point loss to a 10 point loss.

It's obvious we've improve.

Ask me this question again on Saturday after the Howard @ Georgetown, Towson @ Morgan, and NC A&T @ Coastal Carolina games... all MEAC losses a year ago by the way.

If we win even one of those contests, it will be an improvement upon last season.

We're proving it on the field.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 01:29 PM
Ask all you want about what we've done, but the Del/ Del State example was a clear illustration of what we've done... in two years Del State has going from 40 point loss to a 10 point loss.

It's obvious we've improve.
Ask me this question again on Saturday after the Howard @ Georgetown, Towson @ Morgan, and NC A&T @ Coastal Carolina games... all MEAC losses a year ago by the way.

If we win even one of those contests, it will be an improvement upon last season.

We're proving it on the field.
xrolleyesx

Delaware was the National Runner-up in 2007 with Joe Flacco in his second year at the helm. Delaware 2009 is nowhere near as good as UD 2007. It's NOT obvious you improved.

Games against G'town, Towson and Coastal are NOT good measuring sticks for anyone.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2009, 01:33 PM
Very, very, very surprised that Harvard didn't even get 5 stinkin' "others receiving votes." Come on, a loss against a Top 25 school - and not a bad one at that - shouldn't drop you off the face of the earth. Let's put it this way: who's a better team, Harvard or Maine?

Probably Maine, but since a lot of schools never play schools from the Top FCS conferences, we'll never know.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Laugh all you want...

47-7
27-17

Does that say more about Delaware or Delaware St? In 2007 Delaware was the national runner-up.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, Andy, but you know if a NEC team like Albany and CCSU can't make a splash with non-conference wins early in the season, voters will never give NEC regular season wins enough value.

If Albany runs the table prior to their CCSU matchup to 6-2, will that move them INTO the polls?

If CCSU can win at Columbia and run the NEC until the UA game (6-1), will that move us INTO the top-25?

At what point can these 2 teams break into the top-25????

Its much easier to STAY in the polls to break INTO them. That's why preseason and early voting is important.

Win your big OOC games. xthumbsupx

WestCoastAggie
September 21st, 2009, 01:37 PM
xrolleyesx

Delaware was the National Runner-up in 2007 with Joe Flacco in his second year at the helm. Delaware 2009 is nowhere near as good as UD 2007. It's NOT obvious you improved.

Games against G'town, Towson and Coastal are NOT good measuring sticks for anyone.

Well we have to start somewhere... xwhistlex

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM
Does that say more about Delaware or Delaware St? In 2007 Delaware was the national runner-up.

well... in 2009, they did lose by one point to 2008's national champions and the top team in the nation, so....

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
Well we have to start somewhere... xwhistlex
The place to start is Thanksgiving weekend. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM
well... in 2009, they did lose by one point to 2008's national champions and the top team in the nation, so....

2007 Delaware won on the road at UNI and SIU in the playoffs to get to Chatty. A 2nd week close loss at home is not the same.

The MEAC could earn more respect by scheduling and winning games against the top teams in the FCS. They just don't want to, or have been unable to. The NEC has stepped up their OOC scheduling as an attempt to earn respect. They could do the same.

WestCoastAggie
September 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
The place to start is Thanksgiving weekend. xthumbsupx
We will... xcoffeex

JSU02
September 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't call Wofford's losses as "similar" to Weber's losses. Weber was competitve against Wyoming & Colorado State. Wofford got blown out by Wisky and USF.

You are correct, Wofford actually played BCS teams, and Weber played mediocre FBS mid-majors

aceinthehole
September 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Win your big OOC games. xthumbsupx

Agreed!

Albany went 1-2 vs CAA and SoCon teams, beating a ranked team at home. If that's not enough to warrant votes, fine, but those same standards should be applied to every team. And I just don't see how teams like Maine and Colgate are getting votes right now.

CCSU is 1-1, with a win at Lehigh, a "PL contender," and a loss at #5 W&M. We face our first Ivy game ever, at Columbia (1-0), but will even with a big win and a 2-1 record - will it impress the voters. If not, fine. But again, we shouldn't see teams like Penn getting votes!

WestCoastAggie
September 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
2007 Delaware won on the road at UNI and SIU in the playoffs to get to Chatty. A 2nd week close loss at home is not the same.

The MEAC could earn more respect by scheduling and winning games against the top teams in the FCS. They just don't want to, or have been unable to. The NEC has stepped up their OOC scheduling as an attempt to earn respect. They could do the same.

Some of the old heads in charge are realizing that but then again, we do have this commish. who wants to have this little thing called the MEAC champ. game and eventually a "Bowl" Game with the SWAC so they can "make money" xbawlingx

JSU02
September 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM

Preach on brother!

WrenFGun
September 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM
Maine would hammer Harvard, IMO.

Poll looks good, otherwise. Think we're underrating SFA here.

carney2
September 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM

The other way around.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Agreed!

Albany went 1-2 vs CAA and SoCon teams, beating a ranked team at home. If that's not enough to warrant votes, fine, but those same standards should be applied to every team. And I just don't see how teams like Maine and Colgate are getting votes right now.

CCSU is 1-1, with a win at Lehigh, a "PL contender," and a loss at #5 W&M. We face our first Ivy game ever, at Columbia (1-0), but will even with a big win and a 2-1 record - will it impress the voters. If not, fine. But again, we shouldn't see teams like Penn getting votes!

It's an imperfect science. CCSU was on my watch list, but didn't really keep it close at W&M, IMO. To me, a win against Lehigh and a win at Columbia would not be impressive.

There are a lot of teams in the Top 25 that need to show something. There's a lot on the outside that I am unsure of.

crusader11
September 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM

Holy Cross would beat Maine by a score or two. We beat Harvard by a score. Ipso facto Maine vs. Harvard would be a close game.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Holy Cross would beat Maine by a score or two. We beat Harvard by a score. Ipso facto Maine vs. Harvard would be a close game.

It's hard to say Holy Cross would beat Maine.

Panther88
September 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
SFA blew out their last opponent.

An NAIA, more like club-team, opponent. There's so much inconsistent biasness in AGS voting until it's shameful.

JaxSt recv'd NO consideration for top-25 even though they lost to 2 STRONG FBS squads and beat a previously undefeated FCS squad WHO also beat 2 previous FCS squads.

Laughable. Ridiculously laughable and cannot justify it logically. xlolx

danefan
September 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
The other way around.

Can't wait to see this transitive theory. I'm sure Albany will get smacked in the process somewhere.

WrenFGun
September 21st, 2009, 01:59 PM
The other way around.

IMO, Maine is a middle of the pack CAA team. Any IVY victory over a middle of the pack CAA team would be quite a surprise to me, but the IVY's are grossly overrated on this message board with no real impressive victories to stake a claim on. I don't see how they're any different than the NEC/PL..

crusader11
September 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Just basing it on the fact that I think Holy Cross is a bit better than Albany which defeated Maine. Plus, Maine beat a very average Northeastern team by 10, and a D2 team by a touchdown. There is my reasoning, probably should have stated this the first time.

And, for the record danefan, I think an HC vs. Albany game would be a great one. I simply think we are about a score better.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM

We may never know....

I'd bet Maine would sign on for a home and home with either one of them tomorrow. (So would UNH)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM

The other way around.

I don't know if Maine would hammer Harvard or not this year, but I've not seen anything in the past couple of seasons to think that Harvard would hammer Maine either. Frankly, the Patriot-Ivy lovefest just isn't good for FCS Football. If the Patriot and Ivy are as good as many of you profess, then why not get out there and prove it instead of having the NESCAC type relationship? xconfusedx xconfusedx

Playing like minded schools is great, but it doesn't get you national recognition nor prepared for the playoffs/build an at large resume (in the Patriot's case). xtwocentsx

aceinthehole
September 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM
It's an imperfect science. CCSU was on my watch list, but didn't really keep it close at W&M, IMO. To me, a win against Lehigh and a win at Columbia would not be impressive.

There are a lot of teams in the Top 25 that need to show something. There's a lot on the outside that I am unsure of.

Fair enough, as long as you try to be consistant. If beating Lehigh and Columbia isn't good enough for you as a voter, then teams like Colgate and Penn shouldn't be getting votes either. That's all I'm saying.

In all the various polls there are a lot of teams getting votes that have shown less that what CCSU or ALbany have done so far. Preseason "rankings" have too much weight.

crusader11
September 21st, 2009, 02:05 PM
I don't know if Maine would hammer Harvard or not this year, but I've not seen anything in the past couple of seasons to think that Harvard would hammer Maine either. Frankly, the Patriot-Ivy lovefest just isn't good for FCS Football. If the Patriot and Ivy are as good as many of you profess, then why not get out there and prove it instead of having the NESCAC type relationship? xconfusedx xconfusedx

Playing like minded schools is great, but it doesn't get you national recognition nor prepared for the playoffs/build an at large resume (in the Patriot's case). xtwocentsx

Definitely agree with this. That is why many of the Holy Cross faithful were so excited to see Umass on the schedule the past two years. And, while Northeastern is a decent OOC team to play this year, I would have much rather seen a UNH, Maine, or Richmond on the slate.

DSUrocks07
September 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM
Sorry RA but I gotta go with 89 on this one.

You can't use UD/DSU as an argument for MEAC improvement. Delaware has become one of the most schizophrenic programs in the KC Keeler era. Outside of 2003 and 2007, UD has had four losing seasons in his seven year tenure. You never know what your going to get year in and year out. That's why what Tubs said about playing DSU didn't sit right with me. They went from national runners-up to 4-8. This year they destoryed West Chester, came within a blocked field goal of beating the #1 team in the country, and struggled with DSU.

And beating the bottom feeders of a conference isn't much of an argument either. Howard should mop the floor with Indiana State because they are so bad this year. Does that mean that the MEAC is better than the MVFC? No. The playoffs is all that matters. If you want to be paper champions, you should go join a BCS conference.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM
Just basing it on the fact that I think Holy Cross is a bit better than Albany which defeated Maine. Plus, Maine beat a very average Northeastern team by 10, and a D2 team by a touchdown. There is my reasoning, probably should have stated this the first time.

And, for the record danefan, I think an HC vs. Albany game would be a great one. I simply think we are about a score better.

Again, we'll probably never know. Why in gawd did HC schedule Sacred Heart instead of Albany or CCSU or another CAA team? Other than the obvious parochial thing, scheduling a higher level NEC team makes way more sense. xconfusedx xconfusedx Well, at least it does to me thinking about the resume HC could have presented come playoff time. ;) Shoot, you could have the parochial thing, revive an old eastern rivalry and boost the SOS with a game with Villanova. I betcha that game would bring some excitement to Fitton Field!! Of course, Nova is pretty locked into Lehigh, Penn and a FBS game right now, but you know what I mean.

crusader11
September 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Maybe we tried to get a game with CCSU, Albany, Stony Brook, another CAA team, who knows? All I know is Yale backed out on us and we were stuck trying to fill the schedule. SHU may have been the only team that would give us a game AND was compatible with our schedule.

All I know is with the favorable schedule we have, there is a distinct possibility we run the table (11-0), are in the top 10 by the end of the regular season, and have a home playoff game.

This is all VERY, VERY early to be talking about, or even thinking about for that matter, but that's what message boards are for, right?

As I've already stated though, I'd be all for having 2 CAA teams on the schedule every year, 1 or 2 of the top NEC teams, and 2 Ivies (Harvard every year, and then some rotation between Dartmouth, Brown, and Yale).

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Sorry RA but I gotta go with 89 on this one.

You can't use UD/DSU as an argument for MEAC improvement. Delaware has become one of the most schizophrenic programs in the KC Keeler era. Outside of 2003 and 2007, UD has had four losing seasons in his seven year tenure. You never know what your going to get year in and year out. That's why what Tubs said about playing DSU didn't sit right with me. They went from national runners-up to 4-8. This year they destoryed West Chester, came within a blocked field goal of beating the #1 team in the country, and struggled with DSU.

And beating the bottom feeders of a conference isn't much of an argument either. Howard should mop the floor with Indiana State because they are so bad this year. Does that mean that the MEAC is better than the MVFC? No. The playoffs is all that matters. If you want to be paper champions, you should go join a BCS conference.

You know, I never liked youxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx J/k of coursexthumbsupx

aceinthehole
September 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Maybe we tried to get a game with CCSU, Albany, Stony Brook, another CAA team, who knows? All I know is Yale backed out on us and we were stuck trying to fill the schedule. SHU may have been the only team that would give us a game AND was compatible with our schedule.

All I know is with the favorable schedule we have, there is a distinct possibility we run the table (11-0), are in the top 10 by the end of the regular season, and have a home playoff game.

This is all VERY, VERY early to be talking about, or even thinking about for that matter, but that's what message boards are for, right?

As I've already stated though, I'd be all for having 2 CAA teams on the schedule every year, 1 or 2 of the top NEC teams, and 2 Ivies (Harvard every year, and then some rotation between Dartmouth, Brown, and Yale).

I know CCSU has asked for a game with HC for a for the past few seasons and was turned away. Hopefully we can get that game on soon!

UNHFootballAlum
September 21st, 2009, 02:59 PM

I agree. I had you in at 24

ElonPride
September 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
Okay... Defend Elon.

A terrible game 3 games into the season against an FBS team. Many in the top 25 would have the same outcome 3 games in versus an FBS team.

looks like others around FCS circles tend to think the same.....12th in the AGS, 12th in the TSN & 13th in the Coaches.

PhoenixMan
September 21st, 2009, 03:25 PM
i cant. i said last week they are too high. IMO they still are.

I'm not sure if Elon should be defended. Maybe they are too high, but a loss to a pretty good ACC team on the road shouldn't drop them IMO. App St. is still in the Top 10 and they have yet to win a football game in their last 3 outings. I think that warrants defending more than the Phoenix current ranking.

leatherneck177
September 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
furman still in the top 25?

WileECoyote06
September 21st, 2009, 03:35 PM
I agree. I had you in at 24

I watched most of that FSU game. I had JSU at 20. I ranked them by virtue of using applying similar criteria in ranking Weber, App, and Wofford.

I also gave Holy Cross a bump; after all they did beat a ranked team. And FAMU is in my rankings.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
Fair enough, as long as you try to be consistant. If beating Lehigh and Columbia isn't good enough for you as a voter, then teams like Colgate and Penn shouldn't be getting votes either. That's all I'm saying.

In all the various polls there are a lot of teams getting votes that have shown less that what CCSU or ALbany have done so far. Preseason "rankings" have too much weight.

I know I didn't vote for Penn, and I doubt Colgate slipped in. I don't keep my polls and re-evaluate each team every week. Some teams are hard.

As an example: I know Elon is a Top 25 team. But where do they fall? They beat two bad teams and got hammered by Wake Forest.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2009, 03:47 PM
It's hard for me. I know the teams in the traditional "power" conferences will eventually play teams that will be a test. But if a team from the PL, OVC, NEC, MEAC, SWAC or Ivy plays a weak OOC, or loses to the one good team they play, I have a hard time figuring them out. Especially if everyone else in their conference plays a weak OOC or loses to their good opponents.

Umass74
September 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
A couple of thoughts:

If this week's poll was the 2009 playoff field, and UMass was last in with a #16 ranking, then the whole FCS division has just gone off the charts strong this year. IMHO, UMass has a pretty good club this season.

I wouldn't make any sweeping conclusions about Maine. They have been missing some key players. Their NFL -quality FB Turcotte has not played a down for them yet and they were missing two starters on defense for the Albany game. Their QB play has been poor. If they start getting healthy, the Black Bears could sill have some bite.

ElonPride
September 21st, 2009, 04:03 PM
I know I didn't vote for Penn, and I doubt Colgate slipped in. I don't keep my polls and re-evaluate each team every week. Some teams are hard.

As an example: I know Elon is a Top 25 team. But where do they fall? They beat two bad teams and got hammered by Wake Forest.

We belong where we are currently ranked. People act like Elon losing to an FBS school is the end of the world! Geez! A couple dropped passes in the endzone and a missed FG, cost us making the game look respectable. Also, Elon didn't have a single turnover even after running more offensive plays than Wake!

Let's look at things another way. Furman sits in the top 25 and gave up 450 total offensive yards to PC. How many yards did PC manage against Elon? A mere 91.

Do Furman and Wofford not belong in the top 25 after big losses over the weekend?

19Duke97
September 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Nope xlolx

I had them at 25. Hard to say between 22-30 gets a little murky. First few weeks don't really mean much, we'll have a better idea by week 8 or 9.

ngineer
September 21st, 2009, 04:42 PM

Overall a good poll.

The price one pays for taking the paycheck loss. It is very difficult to gauge how good a team is when they play up to a big BCS school. It's like the old adage, "there are no good losses". This is an FCS poll, so trying to measure someone losing to an FBS school by 30 points against another FCS school that beats a fellow FCS member by 20 or 30 is difficult at best. These things will even out a the season progresses, if the sacrificial lambs are as good as proclaimed.

Gil Dobie
September 21st, 2009, 05:13 PM

That would be my guess too.

Gil Dobie
September 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM

Harvard xthumbsupx

Maine would finish in the middle of the pack in the Northern Sun DII league with St Cloud St. xoopsx

Gil Dobie
September 21st, 2009, 05:24 PM

Have you seen St Cloud St play :(

paward
September 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM
Maine

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Have you seen St Cloud St play :(

One game doesn't make a season, a win is a win, etc etc etc :D

I'm not on the Maine bandwagon....but also don't know what Harvard has proven....or Holy Cross.

ccd494
September 21st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Maine has been injury wracked, but I have a hard time envisioning them beating anyone right now.

But Ivy/PL schools can't whine AT ALL. I know Maine called every single one of you to schedule a game (I believe a home and home), and not a taker in the bunch.

Fordham is right, you all need to either ***** or get off the pot.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 06:28 PM
Seems everyone might like my ballot...

18. South Carolina St.
20. Jacksonville St.
21. Florida A&M

And no Maine or Harvard

Gil Dobie
September 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM
One game doesn't make a season, a win is a win, etc etc etc :D

I'm not on the Maine bandwagon....but also don't know what Harvard has proven....or Holy Cross.

So the Iowa/UNI game doesn't make a season, a loss is a loss, etc, etc ;)

UNIFanSince1983
September 21st, 2009, 08:10 PM
It doesn't make a season, but we are 2-0 against FCS competition. And we have plenty of people back, and enough talent to let people know that we should be where we are. Get over it Gil we are a good team with or without the Iowa loss.

TCisMYhero
September 21st, 2009, 09:18 PM

Gil-

Check the standings.
Now, or in November.
Talk to me when 7-4 isn't an overachievementxcoffeex.

Thanks,
-Me

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2009, 10:22 PM

Correct. All the Iowa game showed us is that our lines are strong and can hold their own, the offense is clicking and we won't be effected by crowds. Then the South Dakota game showed us that all we thought after the first week was true. St Francis showed us that the defense has some stability but the offense needs to continue to work on things.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2009, 10:23 PM
It doesn't make a season, but we are 2-0 against FCS competition. And we have plenty of people back, and enough talent to let people know that we should be where we are. Get over it Gil we are a good team with or without the Iowa loss.

Gil and I know each other off the boards. He's just joking around. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
The good thing about UNI is that we don't have to prove ourselves in the OOC slate. Everyone thinks we're pretty good based on the Iowa game and we have a chance to prove it against SIU, SDSU, NDSU and the rest of the Valley.

igo4uni
September 21st, 2009, 10:30 PM
The good thing about UNI is that we don't have to prove ourselves in the OOC slate. Everyone thinks we're pretty good based on the Iowa game and we have a chance to prove it against SIU, SDSU, NDSU and the rest of the Valley.

Well, that's what makes it interesting............We gotta prove it against the rest of the conference. It's the way it should be.........prove it on the field.

RabidRabbit
September 22nd, 2009, 07:42 AM
I'm glad that UNI can prove it strictly in the Valley games. I'm glad that SDSU has three good OOC games to demonstrate their abilities, and not just against our conference mates.

Thanks Ga Southern for the great 4 games series of home/home. Cal Poly, enjoyed every game between the Stangs/Rabbit. And to our many SLC games over the last 5 years, this Rabbit says THANK YOU!

PantherRob82
September 22nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'm glad that UNI can prove it strictly in the Valley games. I'm glad that SDSU has three good OOC games to demonstrate their abilities, and not just against our conference mates.

Thanks Ga Southern for the great 4 games series of home/home. Cal Poly, enjoyed every game between the Stangs/Rabbit. And to our many SLC games over the last 5 years, this Rabbit says THANK YOU!

You guys can prove it in the Valley as well. Beat 2 out of 3 against SIU, UNI, and NDSU and you are playoff bound. Georgia Southern doesn't look like they'll be helping your OOC strength this year.

aceinthehole
September 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Yes, the article is about the FBS top-25, but the same principle applies to FCS polls.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&page=dash0904&sportCat=ncf

"What people think in August [when filling out preseason Top 25s] is at least partly based on what Phil Steele and Athlon thought in April [when their preview magazines are written]," Lesmerises said. "A multi-gazillion-dollar industry based on people putting 15 minutes into a poll that is based on a magazine that did its rankings in April is not a good system."

"I'm trying to treat every team as Team X, where it doesn't matter where you were ranked in the preseason and it doesn't matter what conference you're in and it doesn't matter what your record was last year. What matters are results, results, results. But I'm not a computer, so 10 to 20 percent of my voting tends to take in my perception of how good a team is."