PDA

View Full Version : CAA Predictions for September 26, 2009 (Week 4)

seattlespider
September 20th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Dartmouth (0-1, Road: 0-0) 12:00 pm EDT
New Hampshire (2-0, Home: 1-0)

Rhode Island (1-1, Road: 0-1) 12:00 pm EDT
Connecticut (2-1, Home: 0-1)

Northeastern (0-3, Road: 0-1) 3:30 pm EDT
Villanova (3-0, Home: 1-0)

Virginia Military (1-1, Road: 0-1) 3:30 pm EDT
Richmond (3-0, Home: 1-0)

Towson (1-1, Road: 0-1) 4:00 pm EDT
Morgan St. (1-1, Home: 1-0)

Stony Brook (1-2, Road: 0-2) 6:00 pm EDT
Massachusetts (2-1, Home: 2-0)

Maine (2-1, Road: 1-1) 7:00 pm EDT
Syracuse (1-2, Home: 1-1)

Hofstra (2-1, Road: 1-1) 7:00 pm EDT
W. Michigan (1-2, Home: 1-0)

Delaware (2-1, Road: 0-0) 7:00 pm EDT
William & Mary (3-0, Home: 1-0)

James Madison (1-1, Road: 0-1) 7:00 pm EDT
Liberty (2-1, Home: 1-0)

Games of the week are JMU at Liberty and Delaware at W&M. Delaware needs a win to keep from being in a huge hole as far as playoff hopes are concerned. A win for Liberty would greatly improve their resume.

NH 32 Dartmouth 10
Ucon 45 URI 10
Vill 35 Northeastern 7
UR 52 VMI 14
Towson 21 Morgan St. 13
UMass 35 SB 14
Syracuse 37 Maine 14
W.Mich 47 Hofstra 7
W&M 24 Delaware 20
JMU 35 Liberty 21

JMU Newbill
September 21st, 2009, 06:23 AM
NH 28 Dartmouth 3
UCONN 52 URI 17
VU 38 Northeastern 0
UR 35 VMI 10
Towson 10 Morgan St. 17
UMass 27 SB 17
Syracuse 32 Maine 13
W.Mich 49 Hofstra 0
W&M 17 Delaware 21
JMU 32 Liberty 15

This week we will start to find out a little bit more about the CAA. Is Pat Devlin the real deal and is Delaware a contender?

Is JMU really a contender? A win at Liberty would be a big step leading into the conference schedule.

Villanova and UR still won't get tested this week.

Hofstra might get shut out... again.

Can Maine stop Greg Paulus?

Uncle Buck
September 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
NH 27 Dartmouth 10
UCONN 42 URI 14
VU 24 Northeastern 13
UR 37 VMI 7
Towson 23 Morgan St. 17
UMass 42 SB 14
Syracuse 35 Maine 13
W.Mich 110 Hofstra 0 - Until they fire Cohen and the OC, we may not score a point the rest of the way
W&M 24 Delaware 20
JMU 21 Liberty 20

JmuSkinsfan
September 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM
I love all the people predicting close games between JMU and Liberty. Liberty didn't return double-digit starters from last season.

Either way, I know it's at Liberty and that is the one thing that concerns me. I think JMU wins it handily though, by atleast 14.

Uncle Buck
September 21st, 2009, 10:32 AM
I love all the people predicting close games between JMU and Liberty. Liberty didn't return double-digit starters from last season.

Either way, I know it's at Liberty and that is the one thing that concerns me. I think JMU wins it handily though, by atleast 14.

You right, JMU 42-10 xbowx

1 point or 20 points, a win is a win is a win.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
September 21st, 2009, 10:33 AM
UR 45 VMI 10
W&M 21 Delaware 20
JMU 35 Liberty 28

93henfan
September 21st, 2009, 10:58 AM
UNH 31 Dartmouth 14
UCONN 49 URI 10
VU 34 Northeastern 13
UR 42 VMI 10
Towson 28 Morgan St. 20
UMass 38 SB 10
Syracuse 38 Maine 17
W.Mich 41 Hofstra 10
W&M 24 Delaware 21
JMU 30 Liberty 20

Bull Fan
September 21st, 2009, 11:05 AM
Ten points for the Dutch? 93hen, you're not paying attention ;)

We are Hofstra, for God's sake. We will try to run the option all day long on the Broncos.

93henfan
September 21st, 2009, 11:07 AM
Ten points for the Dutch? 93hen, you're not paying attention ;)

We are Hofstra, for God's sake. We will try to run the option all day long on the Broncos.

I don't predict shutouts. There's always potential for garbage time TDs.

JMU Newbill
September 21st, 2009, 11:20 AM
I don't predict shutouts. There's always potential for garbage time TDs.

Always is a strong word xlolx

Bull Fan
September 21st, 2009, 11:23 AM
This season, we're going to be playing a lot of garbage time. Hell, we reached garbage time in the 2nd quarter, yet no points resulted. :(

Garbage time against WMU will start shortly after kickoff.....

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM
UNH 42 - Dartmouth 7
UConn 45 - URI 10
Villanova 44 - Northeastern 17
Richmond 52 - VMI 6
Towson 21 - Morgan State 17
UMass 35 - SB 14
Syracuse 38 - Maine 13
Western Michigan 49 - Hofstra 10
W&M 31 - Delaware 28
JMU 31 - Liberty 20

Old Dominion 34 - Monmouth 28

Jackman
September 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM
ODU is playing Fordham. Monmouth is the week afterward.

danefan
September 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM
ODU is playing Fordham. Monmouth is the week afterward.

Other way around.
http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/oldd-m-footbl-sched.html

Jackman
September 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM
Clearly they changed the schedule after I posted.

danefan
September 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
Clearly they changed the schedule after I posted.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxconfusedx

umassfan
September 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
I just dont see SB scoring 14 points vs UMass when Albany and URI combined for 10 points vs our D. Dont like that fluke TD that URIs D scored make you think otherwise. SB may get a field goal or two.

Pitz
September 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Connecticut 41, Rhode Island 3
New Hampshire 31, Dartmouth 7
Richmond 45, VMI 17
Villanova 42, Northeastern 10
Towson 28, Morgan State 16
UMASS 35, Stony Brook 6
Monmouth 24, Old Dominion 23
Syracuse 44, Maine 7
Western Michigan 47, Hofstra 19
William & Mary 30, Delaware 21
James Madison 38, Liberty 24

GannonFan
September 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Dartmouth 14 New Hampshire 35: UNH has controlled this intrastate rivalry for sometime now and this doesn’t look any different. UNH is the class of the CAA North and breezes through this Ivy opponent.

Rhode Island 7 Connecticut 42: The Rams travel to Storrs (or Hartford, wherever they put that new stadium) to meet an old conference foe. This time won’ t be any different than most of those old times, as UConn will just toy with a game, but just unimpressive Rhode Island team. One of these years URI might have a good team again, but it just doesn’t seem like this will be the year.

Northeastern 7 villanova 24: nova slept-walked through the Penn game last week and still came away with the victory. What’s becoming apparent, just like it was last year, is that nova isn’t going to scare anyone on offense – nova is going to be methodical, try not to take risks, and let the defense win games. And that will work quite a lot this year because of that defense. nova wins in a game where the closeness of the score won’t reflect the gap between these two sides.

VMI 3 Richmond 35: Richmond came to life last week and throttled a halfway decent Hofstra team. No reason why the thumping won’t continue as Richmond takes on perennial patsy VMI. The #1 team in the land is #1 for a reason – they are very, very good.

Towson 14 Morgan St 17: Break up the Tigers, as Towson celebrates a rare win last week, I just see the hangover from what had to be a raucous celebration getting the best of the Tigers in this cross-town rivalry. Most of the time Morgan St has played Towson close, and I think they come out and pull this one out this time.

Stony Brook 10 UMass 35: Right now, UMass is just carving up not-so-good teams and yet another one ventures into Amherst this weekend. UMass looks solid, but we won’t know for certain until a road trip to Newark in early October. UMass rolls in this one and looks impressive doing it.

Maine 14 Syracuse 28: Just a few weeks ago Maine could’ve reasonably looked at this game and thought they could win it. Then, Paulus ended up being a decent QB for the ‘Cuse and Maine struggled with St. Cloud St before losing a tilt with Albany last week. ‘Cuse ain’t that good of an FBS team, but Maine doesn’t appear to be anything special at the FCS level either. Take the home Orange in this one.

Hofstra 7 Western Michigan 35: Just when Hofstra was thinking they may have turned things around and had a team that could scare some people this year, it turns out the only ones scared are the Pride faithful. Following the dismantling by Richmond last week, the Pride have to venture all the way out to Kalamazoo Michigan to get a second thumping, this time by a Cubit-led Western Michigan squad. This one won’t be pretty as Hofstra has to be reeling from the stunning debacle last week.

Delaware 14 William and Mary 17: This one could go either way. To beat Delaware you need to be able to pass the ball because you aren’t going to run on the defense. Right now, UD’s offense is in a funk as their WR’s can’t seen to get open unless they are in a 5 WR set. And there isn’t a rushing offense out there as bad as UD’s right now. W&M has a decent QB in Archer, but rely a ton on Grimes on the ground. I don’t see them altering from that plan a lot and Grimes wil be asked to run a lot against a stiff UD defense. He got his yards last year in a ton of carries, but that was in a game where UD’s offense was far worse than it is now. If UD can find it’s rthymn on offense, this one could go the other way. I’m not convinced UD is there yet, and I see the Hens falling out of the realistic playoff picture with a loss here.

James Madison 42 Liberty 24 : This is it for Liberty – they win here, and win out in the Big South, and they are playoff bound. Standing in the way, though, is a JMU team that has its own plans for the season. JMU couldn’t close the deal against a real bad Maryland team, and then thumped a much worse VMI team last week. Liberty kept it close against Lafayette, but was clearly the better team last week. If this game was in Harrisonburg it wouldn’t even be a contest, but with the game in Lynchburg it gets interesting as JMU has had odd road losses over the past few years. I just don’t think Liberty has enough to win a game like this, though, and I see the Dukes running away from Liberty in the 2nd half.

Oh, and I think ODU's unbeaten streak comes to an end this weekend. Although they get Monmouth at home, I think Monmouth is enough of a step up versus the competition they've seen so far that this is the first loss. Should be a close game, though. ODU's off to a great start and looks to hit the ground running in 2011.

Dukie95
September 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
JMU has had odd road losses over the past few years.

Coastal and ....?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM
GF, the UConVicts new home is Rentschler Field in East Hartford. Carry on............

WMTribe90
September 21st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Delaware 14 William and Mary 17: This one could go either way. To beat Delaware you need to be able to pass the ball because you aren’t going to run on the defense. Right now, UD’s offense is in a funk as their WR’s can’t seen to get open unless they are in a 5 WR set. And there isn’t a rushing offense out there as bad as UD’s right now. W&M has a decent QB in Archer, but rely a ton on Grimes on the ground. I don’t see them altering from that plan a lot and Grimes wil be asked to run a lot against a stiff UD defense. He got his yards last year in a ton of carries, but that was in a game where UD’s offense was far worse than it is now. If UD can find it’s rthymn on offense, this one could go the other way. I’m not convinced UD is there yet, and I see the Hens falling out of the realistic playoff picture with a loss here.

Archer has been more than descent in three starts. He has made good descions, can make all the throws, and is a true running threat that can create plays with his legs and his arm.

Grimes was forced into the starting role last year due to injuries and excelled. Riggins and Marriner retrun healthy this year and all three averaged over 5-yards a carry against NSU and all three are receiving threats. All three will get carries on Saturday.

Agree that this should be a fairly low scoring affair. I'll go 20-13, Tribe.

Ivytalk
September 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
UNH 42 - Dartmouth 7
UConn 45 - URI 10
Richmond 52 - VMI 6
Towson 21 - Morgan State 17
UMass 35 - SB 14
Syracuse 38 - Maine 13
Western Michigan 49 - Hofstra 10
W&M 31 - Delaware 28
JMU 31 - Liberty 20

Old Dominion 34 - Monmouth 28

The CAA results seem about right to me, except I see W&M winning by 7+.

bluehenbillk
September 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
I can't see the W&M- UD game being a high scoring affair. UD's offense has yet to show they can put up points on a good FCS team & I can't see W&M's offense, the way they play, putting up 24+ on UD's defense without any special teams big plays.

GannonFan
September 21st, 2009, 04:01 PM
Coastal and ....?

Coastal as you said, and UMass in '05 (even with the mud), UD in '05 (UD was a shell that year and only had 5 healthy OL and didn't even have a healthy kicker and had to go for 2 on every TD, which happened far too often), and nova in '06. None of those were playoff teams and most were far from it.

GannonFan
September 21st, 2009, 04:04 PM
Archer has been more than descent in three starts. He has made good descions, can make all the throws, and is a true running threat that can create plays with his legs and his arm.

Grimes was forced into the starting role last year due to injuries and excelled. Riggins and Marriner retrun healthy this year and all three averaged over 5-yards a carry against NSU and all three are receiving threats. All three will get carries on Saturday.

Agree that this should be a fairly low scoring affair. I'll go 20-13, Tribe.

I always thought Marriner was over-hyped. Decent back, but nothing to write home about. Grimes, on the other hand, is the real deal and is an honest to goodness threat.

Dukie95
September 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
Coastal as you said, and UMass in '05 (even with the mud), UD in '05 (UD was a shell that year and only had 5 healthy OL and didn't even have a healthy kicker and had to go for 2 on every TD, which happened far too often), and nova in '06. None of those were playoff teams and most were far from it.

Thanks for the high praise, GF! You've just listed every single JMU road CAA loss since the end of the 2003 season, except for @UD in 2007.

I won't take the time to look it up now, but I'm sure you've always predicted JMU to win all their conference road games for 5 years except for that one in Newark.

I know better than to get into a war of words with you, GF, but I think you're making a reach to pin us down as road chokers...all those games were within one score, btw.

GannonFan
September 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the high praise, GF! You've just listed every single JMU road CAA loss since the end of the 2003 season, except for @UD in 2007.

I won't take the time to look it up now, but I'm sure you've always predicted JMU to win all their conference road games for 5 years except for that one in Newark.

I know better than to get into a war of words with you, GF, but I think you're making a reach to pin us down as road chokers...all those games were within one score, btw.

*sigh* yup, doing nothing to dismiss that notion that JMU fans can't take even an ounce of what can be conceived as constructive (and in this case valid) criticism. xlolx And to think, I have you guys winning by almost 3 TD's. Imagine the ire when I actually pick you guys to lose??? xlolx:pxpeacex

WMTribe90
September 21st, 2009, 04:51 PM
I always thought Marriner was over-hyped. Decent back, but nothing to write home about. Grimes, on the other hand, is the real deal and is an honest to goodness threat.

He's healthy now and an excellent compliment to Grimes. Fastest back, that runs hard. Grimes may be the better back overall, but I'd say Marriner has just as much or more big play capability.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2009/video/cctv.html

WMTribe90
September 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM
Dukie you forget that GF knows your team and players better than you xlolx

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Coastal and ....?

05' @ UD (JMU was preseason #1 and UD finished 5-6 I think that season)
06' @ Nova JMU came into that game 8-1 & ranked 4th? Nova was 4-5 & unranked.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 06:32 PM
The CAA results seem about right to me, except I see W&M winning by 7+.

I can't see the W&M- UD game being a high scoring affair. UD's offense has yet to show they can put up points on a good FCS team & I can't see W&M's offense, the way they play, putting up 24+ on UD's defense without any special teams big plays.
I'm going on history in both cases above. I've lived and died during MANY a UD/W&M game.

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
Dartmouth 7 @ UNH 52. xpeacex UNH is the statistical Defensive King of the FCS! Read all about it: (http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2009/confldrs.htm)
Not quite sure I believe any of that, but this week will not dispell any such talk. No surprises in store for the 'Cats. Dartmouth bows out of the series with no dignity left whatsoever, including a failure to follow through on a deal. Tuck MBA'ers must have very little influence in Hanover -- or maybe too much! :o

Rhode Island 10 @ UCon-victs 45. xsmhx Tough loss at UMass followed by tougher loss at UConn. Is this the beginning of the slide into another year of oblivion? Let's hope not.

Northeastern 14 @ 'Nova 38. xpeacex No surprises here. Ditto the question above for the Huskies, though, ....

VMI 3 @ Richmond 48. xpeacex No surprises here. Seems to be a repeating theme, ...

Towson 24 @ Morgan State 14. xsmiley_wix There is life (and, I guess, for MSU, sadness) in Baltimore with 2nd in a row!

Stony Brook 14 @ UMass 42. xpeacex SBU's Super Soph Gowins notwithstanding, again there are no surprises here.

Maine 24 @ Syracuse 28. ;) Aha, here's a surprise, but no upset in the end. No Cameron Crazies in sight at the Carrier Dome, either...

Hofstra 7 @ W. Michigan 31. xpeacex Yes, you got it, NO surprises here, other than a more stalwart than expected 1st half defensive effort by the Pride.

Delaware 20 @ William & Mary 17 (20T). xthumbsupx TaDa! Here's a surprise! Finally! Hens gut it out, recovering from last week's disaster and actually use the kicking game to stay in national playoff picture with a huge win ON the road!

James Madison 38 @ Liberty 21. xpeacex In keeping with this week's theme, NO surprise here -- unless it is that LU is not a national power yet.

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM
URI @ UConn by 4-5 TDs. UConn beat Ohio on the road 23-16, lost to ranked UNC at home 12-10, and last weak won at Baylor 30-22. My guess is UConn comes out flat against a fired up Ram team looking for the upset, and let the Rams stick around longer than they should before pulling away in the 2nd half.

UNH @ Dartmouth. UNH by 4-5 TDs. Which UNH will show up? The one that showed up against St Francis, or the one that showed up against Ball State? Probably somewhere in between for their lopsided in state rival (when was the last time Dartmouth beat UNH?) Dartmouth lost 34-15 in their home opener to Colgate. UNH rolls here.

VMI @ UR by 4-5 TDs. JMU beat VMI by 4 TDs at home, (it should have been worse) and I think UR with their B game beats them by "only" 4-5 TDs. MM after the VMI @ JMU game was complimentary about VMI and said they were better than previous VMI teams (didn't specify whether or not that meant including his Marshall days, but MM has coached JMU against VMI in 04, 06', 07' and last Sat). VMI sold out against the run against JMU, and it sort of worked, limiting JMU to 145 on the ground. But VMI was burned in the air for 341. (Would have been close to 400 if JMU receiver Marcus Charity didn't drop long bomb that Dudzick laid RIGHT IN HIS HANDS). Will VMI do the same against UR? UR doesn't have the running game that JMU does, but a better passing game (despite JMU currently leading the CAA in both categories). Regardless, UR should score a plenty and their very good defense should hold VMI's flexbone to 1-2 TDs.

Northeastsern @ Nova by 4-5 TDs. I'm sure Nova will hear it the whole week about how their offense sucked against Penn. After only putting up 187 yards offense against Penn look for Nova to double that against a Northeastern defense thats currently last in the CAA in scoring and rushing defense, and 10th in total defense. On the other side of the ball poor Northeastern is last in the CAA in both total and scoring offense. I don't think they'll score a TD against Nova at least through the 1st 3 quarters.

Towson @ Morgan State. TU by a TD or less in the "Baltimore Bowl" or whatever you want to call it. The Tigers makes it 2 wins in a row! xeekx. Morgan State got smoked @ Akron 41-0 before beating Winston Salem 16-10.

UMass @ Stoney Brook by 3-4 TDs. SB is 1-2, with losses @ Hofsta 17-10, @ Colgate 33-13, and last week eeeked out a win at home over Brown 21-20.

Hofstra @ W Michigan by 4-5 TDs. W Michigan is 1-2 with losses @ Michigan 31-7, @ Indiana 23-19, and a win at home over Miami of Ohio 48-26. Hey, on the bright side for the Flying Dutchmen, they should't get beat as bad as they did at UR. xsmiley_wix

Maine @ Syracuse by 3-4 TDs. Cuse lost at home to Minnesota 23-20, at Penn State 28-7, and beat Northwestern @ home 37-34. Cuse is better than they were last yr (I know thats not saying much) and 1-2 Maine, well frankly, hasn't sounded very good this year in their home opener going to OT to beat Div II St Cloud St, beating Northeastern by a TD @ Parsons and losing to Albany last week.

UD @ W&M in OT. If this game was in Newark I'd go with UD. So far they've each played 3 games, with W&M maybe slightly more difficult so far: Last week each had a top half of the MEAC team that they beat 27-15, 27-17.
Comparing the CAA stats so far:
-Total Defense: W&M 2nd, UD 4th.
-Scoring Defense: UD 2nd, W&M 4th
-Total Offense: UD 4th, W&M 5th
-Scoring Offense: W&M 4th, UD 6th
Before the season started I was picking UD in this one. Then after W&M upset UVGay, I was thinking W&M would take this one. Then after UD losing to UR by a point at home in a game they should have won, I was thinking maybe UD will take it. After last week, I don't know. This should be a close one. Could go either way. Tossup. I"ll take W&M since its in Williamsburg.

JMU 38, @ Liberty 24. Liberty lost to WVU 33-20 (did get a late 4th qtr garbage time TD) and won @ Lafayette 19-13. This is one the the biggest home games for Liberty in their school history. JMU is their Super Bowl. After week 3 JMU currently is in the CAA:
-#1 in Total Offense
-#1 in Scoring Offense
-#1 in Rushing Offense
-#1 in Passing Offense
But if someone had told me after Week 3 (2 games for JMU) JMU would not have a rusher in the top 4 in the CAA stats, but both QBs would be #1 and #2 in the CAA in Pass Efficiency, Dudzick would have been leading the league in Total Offense, JMU would have the #1 and #2 in receiving yards per game (tight end Caussin and WR McCarter), plus Caussin would be leading the league in TD receptions (4) , I would have said your smoking crack. I realize through only 2 games the stats for JMU's offense (at least for the pass) are skewed high, and for the defense (9th in Total, 8th in Scoring are skewed low). JMUs offense against Liberty should move the ball very well. JMU defensive philosophy is 8 man front to take away the run. On passing plays they rarely blitz, play the corners soft to not get beat deep, and hope the front 4 can put enough pressure on the opposing QB, and hope the other team will have the occasional penalty, dropped pass, bad throw etc to not dinked and dunk JMU all night. Usually works well enough, but sometimes doesn't. Liberty has no Rashad Jennings anymore and should have a hard time running against JMU's 8 man front, but might be able to dink and dunk JMU for 3 TDs.
Another ? Will Liberty kick it to Scotty? If so, will he finally bust one? In 4 kick returns that the other team has kicked to him, he's avg 45.5 yds a return, tops in the nation.

CAA stats through Week 3
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2009/confldrs.htm

Monarch Nation
September 21st, 2009, 07:27 PM
Oh, and I think ODU's unbeaten streak comes to an end this weekend. Although they get Monmouth at home, I think Monmouth is enough of a step up versus the competition they've seen so far that this is the first loss. Should be a close game, though. ODU's off to a great start and looks to hit the ground running in 2011.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. I consider our independent seasons as a long preseason to get ready for CAA play. I'm looking for progress rather than the win-loss record at this point.

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2009, 07:36 PM
GF, the UConVicts new home is Rentschler Field in East Hartford. Carry on............

Been to the Cabela's right across the street from there...

JmuSkinsfan
September 21st, 2009, 08:15 PM
Wouldn't surprise me a bit. I consider our independent seasons as a long preseason to get ready for CAA play. I'm looking for progress rather than the win-loss record at this point.

I'm starting to like these Monarch fans xnodx At first I thought you guys were overly arrogant and feared a good season would have you talking some nonsense, but I'm glad you guys are pretty honest and level-headed about this year's performance and really like your attitude! And, congrats on being 3-0! I'm excited for our future rivalry...and I realize this could extend beyond the CAA and FCS football at some point as well.

Uncle Buck
September 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
I'm starting to like these Monarch fans xnodx At first I thought you guys were overly arrogant and feared a good season would have you talking some nonsense, but I'm glad you guys are pretty honest and level-headed about this year's performance and really like your attitude! And, congrats on being 3-0! I'm excited for our future rivalry...and I realize this could extend beyond the CAA and FCS football at some point as well.

They remind you of the JMU fans xlolx

Sorry, i couldn't resist. xsmiley_wix

Dukie95
September 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
GF, I've always respected the insight you bring to these predictions (and I'm a little bummed you stopped posting them on the CAAZone this year). I don't agree with everything you write yet I don't believe I've ever said anything before.

I didn't realize other JMU posters had used up our minutes.

andy7171
September 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM
I HATE the battle of Baltimore week! Everyone of these matchups should result like when I played 49-0 at the half. ever since '93 we have slogged our way to the finish line. GF has a valid point, though, the TU hate is so obvious it's embarrassing.

I wouldn't bet on it, but I'd assume Ambrose will have these guys up nad ready this Saturday. I hope...

GannonFan
September 21st, 2009, 10:31 PM
GF, I've always respected the insight you bring to these predictions (and I'm a little bummed you stopped posting them on the CAAZone this year). I don't agree with everything you write yet I don't believe I've ever said anything before.

I didn't realize other JMU posters had used up our minutes.

Football talk has died over there as of late. Whether it was the extended outage before the season started, or putting the football forum inside the General Discussion - just hasn't been the same. Shame, cause I liked that board too. Actually, no one's been posting their CAA predictions there this year - I do like the power rankings though.

WMTribe90
September 21st, 2009, 11:11 PM
Power ranking are entertaining. I hope the CAA general board makes a comeback wih regards to football talk. It's nice to have CAA centered site.

I've been impressed with the ODU fans too. They are very realistic and level-headed. Congrats on being 3-0 and getting of to such a great start, from the facilities, to the support, to winning on the field. GSU fans could learn from you guys.

paward
September 22nd, 2009, 06:41 AM
URI @ UConn by 4-5 TDs. UConn beat Ohio on the road 23-16, lost to ranked UNC at home 12-10, and last weak won at Baylor 30-22. My guess is UConn comes out flat against a fired up Ram team looking for the upset, and let the Rams stick around longer than they should before pulling away in the 2nd half.

UNH @ Dartmouth. UNH by 4-5 TDs. Which UNH will show up? The one that showed up against St Francis, or the one that showed up against Ball State? Probably somewhere in between for their lopsided in state rival (when was the last time Dartmouth beat UNH?) Dartmouth lost 34-15 in their home opener to Colgate. UNH rolls here.

UR @ VMI by 3-4 TDs. This will be sort of a Super Bowl for VMI (course if/until UR loses, they will be the Super Bowl for every team outside of Duke that hosts them). VMI gets to host the defending NC and the team that all these polls have as #1. UR probably won't have their A game, and thats why I think this one will be closer than it should be. JMU beat VMI by 4 TDs at home, (it should have been worse) and I think UR with their B game beats them by "only" 3-4 TDs on the road. MM after the VMI @ JMU game was complimentary about VMI and said they were better than previous VMI teams (didn't specify whether or not that meant including his Marshall days, but MM has coached JMU against VMI in 04, 06', 07' and last Sat). VMI sold out against the run against JMU, and it sort of worked, limiting JMU to 145 on the ground. But VMI was burned in the air for 341. (Would have been close to 400 if JMU receiver Marcus Charity didn't drop long bomb that Dudzick laid RIGHT IN HIS HANDS). Will VMI do the same against UR? UR doesn't have the running game that JMU does, but a better passing game (despite JMU currently leading the CAA in both categories). Regardless, UR should score a plenty.

Northeastsern @ Nova by 4-5 TDs. I'm sure Nova will hear it the whole week about how their offense sucked against Penn. After only putting up 187 yards offense against Penn look for Nova to double that against a Northeastern defense thats currently last in the CAA in scoring and rushing defense, and 10th in total defense. On the other side of the ball poor Northeastern is last in the CAA in both total and scoring offense. I don't think they'll score a TD against Nova at least through the 1st 3 quarters.

Towson @ Morgan State. TU by a TD or less in the "Baltimore Bowl" or whatever you want to call it. The Tigers makes it 2 wins in a row! xeekx. Morgan State got smoked @ Akron 41-0 before beating Winston Salem 16-10.

UMass @ Stoney Brook by 3-4 TDs. SB is 1-2, with losses @ Hofsta 17-10, @ Colgate 33-13, and last week eeeked out a win at home over Brown 21-20.

Hofstra @ W Michigan by 4-5 TDs. W Michigan is 1-2 with losses @ Michigan 31-7, @ Indiana 23-19, and a win at home over Miami of Ohio 48-26. Hey, on the bright side for the Flying Dutchmen, they should't get beat as bad as they did at UR. xsmiley_wix

Maine @ Syracuse by 3-4 TDs. Cuse lost at home to Minnesota 23-20, at Penn State 28-7, and beat Northwestern @ home 37-34. Cuse is better than they were last yr (I know thats not saying much) and 1-2 Maine, well frankly, hasn't sounded very good this year in their home opener going to OT to beat Div II St Cloud St, beating Northeastern by a TD @ Parsons and losing to Albany last week.

UD @ W&M in OT. If this game was in Newark I'd go with UD. So far they've each played 3 games, with W&M maybe slightly more difficult so far: Last week each had a top half of the MEAC team that they beat 27-15, 27-17.
Comparing the CAA stats so far:
-Total Defense: W&M 2nd, UD 4th.
-Scoring Defense: UD 2nd, W&M 4th
-Total Offense: UD 4th, W&M 5th
-Scoring Offense: W&M 4th, UD 6th
Before the season started I was picking UD in this one. Then after W&M upset UVGay, I was thinking W&M would take this one. Then after UD losing to UR by a point at home in a game they should have won, I was thinking maybe UD will take it. After last week, I don't know. This should be a close one. Could go either way. Tossup. I"ll take W&M since its in Williamsburg.

JMU 38, @ Liberty 24. Liberty lost to WVU 33-20 (did get a late 4th qtr garbage time TD) and won @ Lafayette 19-13. This is one the the biggest home games for Liberty in their school history. JMU is their Super Bowl. After week 3 JMU currently is in the CAA:
-#1 in Total Offense
-#1 in Scoring Offense
-#1 in Rushing Offense
-#1 in Passing Offense
But if someone had told me after Week 3 (2 games for JMU) JMU would not have a rusher in the top 4 in the CAA stats, but both QBs would be #1 and #2 in the CAA in Pass Efficiency, Dudzick would have been leading the league in Total Offense, JMU would have the #1 and #2 in receiving yards per game (tight end Caussin and WR McCarter), plus Caussin would be leading the league in TD receptions (4) , I would have said your smoking crack. I realize through only 2 games the stats for JMU's offense (at least for the pass) are skewed high, and for the defense (9th in Total, 8th in Scoring are skewed low). JMUs offense against Liberty should move the ball very well. JMU defensive philosophy is 8 man front to take away the run. On passing plays they rarely blitz, play the corners soft to not get beat deep, and hope the front 4 can put enough pressure on the opposing QB, and hope the other team will have the occasional penalty, dropped pass, bad throw etc to not dinked and dunk JMU all night. Usually works well enough, but sometimes doesn't. Liberty has no Rashad Jennings anymore and should have a hard time running against JMU's 8 man front, but might be able to dink and dunk JMU for 3 TDs.
Another ? Will Liberty kick it to Scotty? If so, will he finally bust one? In 4 kick returns that the other team has kicked to him, he's avg 45.5 yds a return, tops in the nation.

CAA stats through Week 3
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2009/confldrs.htm

UR is the home team in this one, not VMI!

Husky Alum
September 22nd, 2009, 06:46 AM
UNH over Dartmouth - now that this "rivalry" is nearing its end, maybe the Big Green will play NU now and then.

UConn over URI - not much of a contest, cash the check, go home and hope no one gets hurt

Villanova waxes NU - We have 20something seniors and we still stink. There is no end in sight for this team, and we have Holy Cross coming to Parsons next week. At least we can look forward to hockey and hoops season without feeling guilty in missing some football games. Not sure we'll win one this year.

Richmond over VMI - Yeah, Richmond is that good, glad we don't play them this year.

Towson over Morgan - Towson/NU could be NU's best shot at a win this year.

UMass over Stony Brook - For a school that doesn't want America East football, UMass sure is scheduling like it doesn't mind.

'Cuse over Maine - This one could be uglier than people think.

WMU over Hofstra - See above. NU is playing Hofstra on Homecoming, November 15. If NU and Hofstra keep it up, this could be the lowest attended homecoming game since the WM Flood in 2005. Good thing for HU, NU has a tradition of losing on homecoming (unless we're playing UNH).

W&M over UD - Best game of the weekend, and I'll be at Villanova. Go figure.

JMU over Liberty - Mickey's Men over the Moral Majority.

Gordon Shumway
September 22nd, 2009, 08:06 AM

That would be 1976.:D

UNH over Dartmouth - now that this "rivalry" is nearing its end, maybe the Big Green will play NU now and then.

I think you guys are out of luck. Dartmouth has decided to drop/defer UNH for competition that will help them return to a championship caliber program. They have added series with St. Francis & Butler for the next four years.xlolx

MacThor
September 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
UR @ VMI by 3-4 TDs. This will be sort of a Super Bowl for VMI (course if/until UR loses, they will be the Super Bowl for every team outside of Duke that hosts them). VMI gets to host the defending NC and the team that all these polls have as #1. UR probably won't have their A game, and thats why I think this one will be closer than it should be. JMU beat VMI by 4 TDs at home, (it should have been worse) and I think UR with their B game beats them by "only" 3-4 TDs on the road. MM after the VMI @ JMU game was complimentary about VMI and said they were better than previous VMI teams (didn't specify whether or not that meant including his Marshall days, but MM has coached JMU against VMI in 04, 06', 07' and last Sat). VMI sold out against the run against JMU, and it sort of worked, limiting JMU to 145 on the ground. But VMI was burned in the air for 341. (Would have been close to 400 if JMU receiver Marcus Charity didn't drop long bomb that Dudzick laid RIGHT IN HIS HANDS). Will VMI do the same against UR? UR doesn't have the running game that JMU does, but a better passing game (despite JMU currently leading the CAA in both categories). Regardless, UR should score a plenty.

UR is at home this week.

andy7171
September 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Towson over Morgan - Towson/NU could be NU's best shot at a win this year.

I find myself thinking the same about you guys! :o

My RS freshman year we were both 1-9 playing each other down here in the last game of the season. We referred to it as the Toilet Bowl. That season SUCKED!

...but at least we didn't lose 10! (that year)

jmufan999
September 22nd, 2009, 09:13 AM

exactly. this won't be a close game. Liberty might jump out to an early lead, but we will eventually wear them down if we have to.

MoBear
September 22nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
I HATE the battle of Baltimore week! Everyone of these matchups should result like when I played 49-0 at the half. ever since '93 we have slogged our way to the finish line. GF has a valid point, though, the TU hate is so obvious it's embarrassing.

I wouldn't bet on it, but I'd assume Ambrose will have these guys up nad ready this Saturday. I hope...

Don't worry about the hate Morgan gets that same. (Except in basketball) I like the battle of Baltimore because it’s the only div 1 football game in town. What else are we going to get excited about, Maryland? It should be a good game but the only reason I have Towson winning is because Devan James is hurt. If he was healthy I would say Morgan wins this game by 4. He was only a couple of yards away last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSthoAtOeEI But since we have no James Towson by a TD

andy7171
September 22nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Don't worry about the hate Morgan gets that same. (Except in basketball) I like the battle of Baltimore because it’s the only div 1 football game in town. What else are we going to get excited about, Maryland? It should be a good game but the only reason I have Towson winning is because Devan James is hurt. If he was healthy I would say Morgan wins this game by 4. He was only a couple of yards away last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSthoAtOeEI But since we have no James Towson by a TD
Wouldn't know it by reading the Sun. xrolleyesx

You guys have beaten us the last couple years, but seem to find a way to lose in the end. It's weird. It's like waiting for the inevitable to happen. I find myself watching the game and thinking "PLEASE DON'T LET THIS BE THE YEAR" over and over.

Were you at the game last year? Weird weather and both teams in home uniforms.

Bull Fan
September 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
I know it's not the case, but the field looks so narrow in that shot.

BDKJMU
September 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
UR is the home team in this one, not VMI!

G*d d#*%&%, my bad, you're right. I checked with most of the games as to where they were being played at, but didn't with the UR/VMI because I assumed no way would VMI schedule JMU and UR both away in the same season on back to back weekends. (Thats what I get for ASSuming xoopsx xrolleyesx). Fixed it- that changes my prediction for UR's victory from 3-4 TDs to 4-5.

BDKJMU
September 22nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
UR is at home this week.

See my above post.

MoBear
September 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Wouldn't know it by reading the Sun. xrolleyesx

You guys have beaten us the last couple years, but seem to find a way to lose in the end. It's weird. It's like waiting for the inevitable to happen. I find myself watching the game and thinking "PLEASE DON'T LET THIS BE THE YEAR" over and over.

Were you at the game last year? Weird weather and both teams in home uniforms.

Yes i was in section 109(the same section I was in this past weekend go figure). I don't like the orange uniforms but they only where them at homecoming and against Towson. That’s was a nasty day last year. This year it will fair weather. Oh yeah I love Towson U dancers but your cheerleaders need to stay away from the town center food court.

saint0917
September 23rd, 2009, 06:14 AM
UNH 45 - Dartmouth 10
UConn 45 - URI 7
Richmond 52 - VMI 7
Towson 23 - Morgan State 20
UMass 35 - SB 7
Syracuse 38 - Maine 10
Western Michigan 42 - Hofstra 13
W&M 31 - Delaware 21
JMU 40 - Liberty 17

andy7171
September 23rd, 2009, 06:58 AM
Yes i was in section 109(the same section I was in this past weekend go figure). I don't like the orange uniforms but they only where them at homecoming and against Towson. That’s was a nasty day last year. This year it will fair weather. Oh yeah I love Towson U dancers but your cheerleaders need to stay away from the town center food court.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

I was on the field before the game Saturday and thought the same thing. I guess all the good ones want a part of the dance team leaving the cheer squad open to the Mama Ilardo's kitchen staff.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 07:57 AM
Oh yeah I love Towson U dancers but your cheerleaders need to stay away from the town center food court.
Growing up going to Hen games the hottest women on the field were the Golden Girls (majorettes for lack of a better term), the cheerleaders were all pretty and there was no dance team. Won't even go into the band women.

When the dance team first formed, it was full of girls that put on their freshman 15 as well as a few other freshmen's 15.

Now, the Golden Girls are huge, the cheerleaders not so pretty (except the guys) and the dance team is rather hot. xeyebrowx

andy7171
September 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Growing up going to Hen games the hottest women on the field were the Golden Girls (majorettes for lack of a better term), the cheerleaders were all pretty and there was no dance team. Won't even go into the band women.

When the dance team first formed, it was full of girls that put on their freshman 15 as well as a few other freshmen's 15.

Now, the Golden Girls are huge, the cheerleaders not so pretty (except the guys) and the dance team is rather hot. xeyebrowx

When I was at Towson, the dance team was called the Tigerettes and the same as your story. Somewhere around 1997 the dance team dropped the nickname and have won 12 straight national championships. What the he11 is that all about?xeyebrowx

http://www.towsondanceteam.com/image/obj55geo46pg1p14.png

Uncle Buck
September 23rd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Long live the dance team.

JMU_71
September 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
NH 45 Dartmouth 3
UCONN 35 URI 6
VU 38 Northeastern 3
UR 52 VMI 13
Towson 20 Morgan St. 17
UMass 27 SB 17
Syracuse 24 Maine 13
W.Mich 49 Hofstra 0
W&M 35 Delaware 23
JMU 38 Liberty 23

The two games to watch, as many of you have said, are the W&M v. Delaware and JMU v. Liberty games.

Delaware doesn't have to win this game to go to the playoffs, but with games remaining at Villanova and against JMU, tough, would discribe the road to playing after Thanksgiving. W&M wins with a balanced ground and air attack while Delaware's offense stays one dimensional.

JMU has a little adversity in the beginning of the game, but then comes back to lead at halftime and take control through an improved running game in the second half. Dudzik shows that he sould be the starting QB and the Dukes win going away.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Delaware doesn't have to win this game to go to the playoffs, but with games remaining at Villanova and against JMU, tough, would discribe the road to playing after Thanksgiving.
Don't forget @ Navy. A loss this weekend makes it VERRRRY difficult for the Hens to even think about the playoffs. That's why the blocked FG loss to Richmond was so painful. You have to win games in your grasp.

JMU_71
September 23rd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Don't forget @ Navy. A loss this weekend makes it VERRRRY difficult for the Hens to even think about the playoffs. That's why the blocked FG loss to Richmond was so painful. You have to win games in your grasp.

Sorry, your right. Although, UD has had a decent recent track record against Navy, right?

GannonFan
September 23rd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Sorry, your right. Although, UD has had a decent recent track record against Navy, right?

2-1 over the last 6 years of play - so we can win against Navy. But those 2 wins came via the '03 and '07 teams, so it takes some real doing to beat Navy.

UD has to go 2-0 on this roadtrip (@ W&M and @ Maine) or they're not realistically playing for the playoffs this year. Could still be a pretty good, 7 win year with no playoffs, but it is what it is. The team is loaded for 2010 so a good year even without playoffs would be a good way to step into next year.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
.500 so yes, but it's always a struggle.

BDKJMU
September 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM

Plus UMass. If UD doesn't beat W&M, outside of their gimmies (Hofstra, @ Towson) they would have to win 4 of the following 5:
@ Maine next week (not a gimmie on the road)
UMass in 2 weeks
JMU end of Oct
@ Navy next to last game
@ Nova

As GF has said, W&M is pretty much a must win for UD to have a realistic shot at the playoffs.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 05:24 PM

As GF has said, W&M is pretty much a must win for UD to have a realistic shot at the playoffs.
I agree, that's why I brought up Navy. The loss to Richmond makes this a must. I think most Hen fans knew going into this season it would be tough to make the playoffs. It's bad enough coming off of 4-8 but to only be able to lose two of: Richmond, JMU, W&M and Villanova (all top 15 teams coming in) is a tall order. Then throw in UMass and Maine (not lived up to expectations yet)... xoopsx

BDKJMU
September 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
.500 so yes, but it's always a struggle.

I see Navy (1-2 now) around 6-4 coming into that game against UD fighting for a spot in a toilet bowl. (They'll have to go 7-6, as they have 13 regular season games, not sure how they did that).

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
they have13 regular season games, not sure how they did that).
xeyebrowx Didn't know that.

BDKJMU
September 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
xeyebrowx Didn't know that.

Yep. UD will be their 11th game in as many weekends. They get a bye after UD before @ Hawaii and then another bye before the Army-Navy game in Philly Dec 12, which is a week later than usual (I think its always been on the 1st Sat in Dec. I looked back the last 7 seasons and that was the case).
http://espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=2426

danefan
September 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Yep.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=2426

Don't you get an extra game for going to Hawaii?

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
Don't you get an extra game for going to Hawaii?
I guess I figured that only applied to 11 game seasons.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
I see Navy (1-2 now) around 6-4 coming into that game against UD fighting for a spot in a toilet bowl. (They'll have to go 7-6, as they have 13 regular season games, not sure how they did that).
Now looking at their schedule, I think 5-5 coming into the Hen game is very good shot at best. 2 losses already and you have to think ND and Wake are losses. Rice, WKU and Temple should be wins, so that's 4-4. AFA is pretty decent this year and SMU is a toss-up. xeyebrowx

BDKJMU
September 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Now looking at their schedule, I think 5-5 coming into the Hen game is very good shot at best. 2 losses already and you have to think ND and Wake are losses. Rice, WKU and Temple should be wins, so that's 4-4. AFA is pretty decent this year and SMU is a toss-up. xeyebrowx

I saw Navy (on TV) once this year- @ Ohio St who they almost tied right at the end.

ViennaSpider
September 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Liberty scoring 20 pts on WVU at Morgantown makes me think that JMU may have its hands full Saturday night in Lynchburg. No cake walk.

JmuSkinsfan
September 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Liberty scoring 20 pts on WVU at Morgantown makes me think that JMU may have its hands full Saturday night in Lynchburg. No cake walk.

From what I've read from that game, Liberty didn't play well and scored a TD very late in the 4th when the game was well in hand. I'm not putting much stock in Liberty's game at WVU. Beat us and I'll cme eat my crow, but til then

WildCat In The Hat
September 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
two pennies...

UNH by 4 TDs..never close
UCONN by 3 TDs...Rhody trying hard but still Rhody
Nova by 10..not as easy as it should be for overrated #2 in country
Richmond by 4 TDs...never a game
Towson by 7...should be easy but it never is
UMASS by 3 TDs..may keep Stony to 7 pts or less
Syracuse by 10...Maine rebounds a little to hang tough
Hofstra ...who even cares any more
Delaware by 2 Td's....they are just better and will show it...Devlin 3-4 TD passes
James Madison kills Liberty....I don't care where they play

BDKJMU
September 23rd, 2009, 08:55 PM
From what I've read from that game, Liberty didn't play well and scored a TD very late in the 4th when the game was well in hand. I'm not putting much stock in Liberty's game at WVU. Beat us and I'll cme eat my crow, but til then

Yeah, that TD came with :52 seconds left in the game, and that late 4th TD drive was close to 1/4 of Liberty's total yardage for the game (70 of 299). The time of possession was about even for the game, but Liberty held the ball for over 12 min of that 4th quarter.

But I don't know how much better JMU would have done against WVU. WVU beat ECU 35-20, by a similar score as they beat Liberty. They lost @ Auburn only 41-30. Considering that WVU threw 5 picks, turned the ball over 6 times (to 1 for Auburn) including giving up a pick 6 they should have gotten blown out. Granted WVU was up far more for ECU and Auburn than they would have been against Liberty. Bottom line is Liberty didn't get blown out by a good WVU team. I see this as being anywhere from a 1 TD win for Liberty to a 3 TD win for JMU. I picked JMU by 2 TDs, but thats assuming JMU brings their "A" game.

EmeryZach
September 23rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
UNH 52 - Dart 0
UConn 41 - URI 3
Nova 27 - NE 10
Richmond 66 - VMI 0
Towson 21 - Morgan St 20
UMass 37 - SB 10
'Cuse 33 - Maine 7
W-Mich 42 - Hofstra 0
Tribe 27 - Del 20
JMU 36 - Liberty 13
ODU 21 - Monmouth 17

th0m
September 24th, 2009, 01:42 AM
FYI, Liberty is favored by 1 point according to 5dimes.com

JMU Newbill
September 24th, 2009, 06:04 AM
FYI, Liberty is favored by 1 point according to 5dimes.com

Really? Interesting..... they don't seem to be favored on AGS... and isn't that what really matters?

GoBlueHens83
September 24th, 2009, 06:23 AM
New Hampshire 45 - Dartmouth 13
Connecticut 38 - Rhode Island 7
villanova 35 - Northeastern 6
Richmond 49 - VMI 10
Towson 28 - Morgan St. 14
UMass 42 - Stony Brook 10
Syracuse 31 - Maine 13
Western Michigan - 40 Hofstra 9
William & Mary - 17 Delaware 14
James Madison 24 - Liberty 21
Monmouth 21 - Old Dominion 20

Dukie95
September 24th, 2009, 06:33 AM

I agree it's no cake walk, and drawing on memories of that CCU game from 2005, I'm actually nervous about this game.

However, about the WVU game...

Liberty got off to a great start with drives of 34 (FG) and 74 (TD) in the first quarter. Then the next 7 drives got 110 total yards. Then got their final TD following a 70 yard drive late in the 4th.

Yes, to reach 20, there's an extra FG in there. WVU made adjustments and was really able to shut them down in the 2nd quarter until garbage time.

ccd494
September 24th, 2009, 09:15 AM
http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/122211.html

Jared Turcotte out "indefinitely" for Maine.

I personally vote for shutting him down and getting him a medical redshirt, but that's just me.

IaaScribe
September 24th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I agree it's no cake walk, and drawing on memories of that CCU game from 2005, I'm actually nervous about this game.

Liberty got off to a great start with drives of 34 (FG) and 74 (TD) in the first quarter. Then the next 7 drives got 110 total yards. Then got their final TD following a 70 yard drive late in the 4th.

Yes, to reach 20, there's an extra FG in there. WVU made adjustments and was really able to shut them down in the 2nd quarter until garbage time.

Just to expand on these thoughts a bit because I was at the game ... Liberty took major advantage of West Virginia's shoddy kick coverage. The Flames started a couple of drives in WVU territory, and by the end of the game WVU was almost giving Liberty the 40 on kickoffs, either by pooch kicking or kicking it out of bounds.

Liberty's defense was bad in the first half, really bad. They gave up 299 yards before the break and allowed two crucial third-and-very long conversions that led to the touchdown that put WVU up for good. It was a competitive game into the fourth quarter because Liberty was able to buckle down in the red zone and force field goals rather than touchdowns. It was 26-13 midway through the fourth until Beecher threw an interception in WVU territory, and WVU countered with a two-play drive that put the game out of reach. So the Flames were driving for a chance to cut it to a single score in the fourth.

Reminded me a bit of their 2006 Wake Forest game. You never got the feeling they were going to pull the upset, but they were never blown off the field, either.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 24th, 2009, 09:38 AM
http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/122211.html

Jared Turcotte out "indefinitely" for Maine.

I personally vote for shutting him down and getting him a medical redshirt, but that's just me.

See how the season goes.

Bringing him back for a play off run is one thing.
Unless Maine has a real shot at the post season, I agree, keep him out.

19Duke97
September 24th, 2009, 11:42 AM

I think there are two big differences between the CC game and this one.
1) We will have a lot more fan support at Liberty than CC. Say what you want, JMUs fan base is still fairly young, and young people don't have a lot of money, so typically they travel poorly. Liberty however is close enough to make a day trip out of it.

2) If I remember correctly, that was the first away game of the season, where this is our second. I'm not even sure we should consider the Lock Haven game as a game...

I like our chances, and believe we will win. however I don't think it will be a route. if their QB is healthy, that could be trouble. MM defenses have always had trouble with accurate QB's. Insert W&M, YSU, Delaware. should be a great game.

Hoyadestroya85
September 24th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Keys to Villanova Northeastern Game (http://novafacts.blogspot.com/2009/09/keys-to-villanova-northeastern.html)
I'm very interested to see what happens in JMU-Liberty. I think JMU is a huge wild card this season.

th0m
September 24th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Really? Interesting..... they don't seem to be favored on AGS... and isn't that what really matters?

Of course. Lines are just set to make people bet a certain way. Just wanted to put it out there.

GeeWiz
September 26th, 2009, 01:13 AM
UNH 35 Dartmouth 14 - Wildcats never lose in this in-state rivaly
UConn 44 URI 0 - I don't see the Rams making this one competitve
'Nova 31 Northeastern 7 - NU never wins at 'nova although I think NU will be competitive
Richmond 49 VMI 7 - The Keydets don't belong on the same field as the Spiders
Towson 27 Morgan State 24 OT - Tigers hold on for a close win in OT
UMass 28 Stony Brook 7 - UMass cruises to an easy win
'Cuse 41 Maine 10 - A few weeks ago I thought Maine could keep this close but now they don't have a chance
WMU 35 Hofstra 14 - Pride will have a tough time with the Broncos pass attack
W&M27 UD 14 - A close game that sees the Tribe pull away late
JMU 37 Liberty 21 - Dukes have too much on both sides of the ball for the Flames

and in the big one ... ODU31 Monmouth 27 - Monarchs eek out a close win over the Hawks to drive the white-shirted student body into a frenzy

EveryGamblersDream
September 26th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Of course. Lines are just set to make people bet a certain way. Just wanted to put it out there.

Incorrect, lines are set up to draw as much even action versus trying to get people t bet a certain way.

Tribe4SF
September 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Incorrect, lines are set up to draw as much even action versus trying to get people t bet a certain way.

Semantics....getting even action is trying to get people to bet a certain way...evenly.

Hoyadestroya85
September 26th, 2009, 12:28 PM
What kind of shape is Keeler in if The Hens have another season where they hover around .500? You figure he's really only had two really good seasons since he's been at UD and the rest have been disappointments.

GannonFan
September 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM
What kind of shape is Keeler in if The Hens have another season where they hover around .500? You figure he's really only had two really good seasons since he's been at UD and the rest have been disappointments.

Well, he has made the playoffs 3 times since he's been at UD. I realize the playoffs aren't a common thing at nova but normally playoff years (and he's won at least one game each year) are considered good years. And UD's 8 playoff wins since KC has been here put UD either #1 or #2 in terms of playoff wins for CAA teams during that tenure.

No doubt the '06 and '08 seasons were terrible. Can't be upset about the '02 season (first year and he was 6-6) and the '05 year was as injury riddled as can be. We'll see about this year, but the team is going to be stacked in 2010 so we're likely to see another '03 or '07 type of year then. KC's not going to be fired this year almost regardless of what happens on the field. UD is not Georgia Southern when it comes to firing coaches.

kdinva
September 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM
VMI 3 Richmond 35: Richmond came to life last week and throttled a halfway decent Hofstra team. No reason why the thumping won’t continue as Richmond takes on perennial patsy VMI. The #1 team in the land is #1 for a reason – they are very, very good.

Yeah, those Keydet patsies really rolled over like all y'all thought. If we had any pass defense (and didn't rough the UR punter in the 4th period), who knows?xnodx

Kevin Grayson is awesome, he'll be playing on Sundays.

kdinva
September 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM
VMI 3 @ Richmond 48. xpeacex No surprises here. Seems to be a repeating theme, ...

Time for a new script writer, you think?

kdinva
September 26th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Richmond 66 - VMI 0

don't waste your money on lottery tickets!:D

Yes, VMI lost. Yes, VMI played their hearts out for 60 minutes. Yes, VMI will go forward from this.

So sad the UR third-teamers didn't get to play like they assumed.

89Hen
September 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hey kd, congrats on keeping it close, but if you didn't predict then you have NO business posting after the fact. xnonox

GannonFan
September 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah dude, how weak is this? You don't bother to make a prediction, your team still loses the game, and you post up to three times trumpeting the fact that you covered the spread? Whoo-hoo, you only lost by 10!!! I bet there'll be a bunch of honor code violations tonight at all those VMI Beaten Parties!!! xlolxxlolx

kdinva
September 26th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hey kd, congrats on keeping it close, but if you didn't predict then you have NO business posting after the fact. xnonox
I did post a prediction, on the Big South wk. 4 thread: 37-17 for UR.

kdinva
September 26th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Y I bet there'll be a bunch of honor code violations tonight at all those VMI Beaten Parties!!! xlolxxlolx
.....at least we have an Honor Code........

GannonFan
September 26th, 2009, 09:22 PM
.....at least we have an Honor Code........

Come on, what's the chant??? "We Beat the Spread, We Beat the Spread!!!!" :p

caribbeanhen
September 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Yeah dude, how weak is this? You don't bother to make a prediction, your team still loses the game, and you post up to three times trumpeting the fact that you covered the spread? Whoo-hoo, you only lost by 10!!! I bet there'll be a bunch of honor code violations tonight at all those VMI Beaten Parties!!! xlolxxlolx

hey GF, I enjoy your wrap ups and prognostications as much as the next guy but when you get it wrong you never seem to re-visit or attempt to rationalize your mistakes you just diss and pretend it never happened. Just for once step up to the plate and say " i was wrong" it wont be easy but you'll feel better after

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 27th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Time for a new script writer, you think?

Like I said, NO Surprises here. The expected team won! :D

CAAisBOSS
September 27th, 2009, 07:37 PM
two pennies...

UNH by 4 TDs..never close
UCONN by 3 TDs...Rhody trying hard but still Rhody
Nova by 10..not as easy as it should be for overrated #2 in country
Richmond by 4 TDs...never a game
Towson by 7...should be easy but it never is
UMASS by 3 TDs..may keep Stony to 7 pts or less
Syracuse by 10...Maine rebounds a little to hang tough
Hofstra ...who even cares any more
Delaware by 2 Td's....they are just better and will show it...Devlin 3-4 TD passes
James Madison kills Liberty....I don't care where they play

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

GannonFan
September 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM
hey GF, I enjoy your wrap ups and prognostications as much as the next guy but when you get it wrong you never seem to re-visit or attempt to rationalize your mistakes you just diss and pretend it never happened. Just for once step up to the plate and say " i was wrong" it wont be easy but you'll feel better after

If I was going to actually revisit the thread, I'm certainly not going to come back and worry too much about the difference in points on a pick. The points are for fun, and I have no doubt if Richmond played VMI 100 times the result would be the same everytime. Maybe the points change, but like I said, I care little.

Besides, I often make reference to good or bad picks I made in the following week (so no, I don't pretend it didn't happen). Maybe that doesn't meet the standard of mea culpa that some people might look for, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
September 28th, 2009, 08:53 AM
If I was going to actually revisit the thread, I'm certainly not going to come back and worry too much about the difference in points on a pick. The points are for fun, and I have no doubt if Richmond played VMI 100 times the result would be the same everytime. Maybe the points change, but like I said, I care little.

Besides, I often make reference to good or bad picks I made in the following week (so no, I don't pretend it didn't happen). Maybe that doesn't meet the standard of mea culpa that some people might look for, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. xpeacex

and that's fine, I was speaking about some of your earlier comments about Delaware vs Delaware St on gohens, but we can keep skeletons in the closet if you want, no reason to drag it out for all to seexsmiley_wix

89Hen
September 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM
UNH 42 - Dartmouth 7 (44-14) xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
UConn 45 - URI 10 (52-10) xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
Villanova 44 - Northeastern 17 (56-7) xthumbsupx
Richmond 52 - VMI 6 (38-28) xeyebrowx
Towson 21 - Morgan State 17 (9-12) xmadx every week with Towson
UMass 35 - SB 14 (44-17) xthumbsupx
Syracuse 38 - Maine 13 (41-24) xthumbsupx
Western Michigan 49 - Hofstra 10 (24-10) xeyebrowx
W&M 31 - Delaware 28 (30-20) xthumbsupx
JMU 31 - Liberty 20 (24-10) xthumbsupx

Old Dominion 34 - Monmouth 28 (28-31) xoopsx damn close though

So only missed a couple margins and Towson again. Damn Tiggers.

andy7171
September 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM
UNH 42 - Dartmouth 7 (44-14) xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
UConn 45 - URI 10 (52-10) xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
Villanova 44 - Northeastern 17 (56-7) xthumbsupx
Richmond 52 - VMI 6 (38-28) xeyebrowx
Towson 21 - Morgan State 17 (9-12) xmadx every week with Towson
UMass 35 - SB 14 (44-17) xthumbsupx
Syracuse 38 - Maine 13 (41-24) xthumbsupx
Western Michigan 49 - Hofstra 10 (24-10) xeyebrowx
W&M 31 - Delaware 28 (30-20) xthumbsupx
JMU 31 - Liberty 20 (24-10) xthumbsupx

Old Dominion 34 - Monmouth 28 (28-31) xoopsx damn close though

So only missed a couple margins and Towson again. Damn Tiggers.
It'll be a WHOLE lot easier from here on out.

xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

MoBear
September 28th, 2009, 11:24 AM
It'll be a WHOLE lot easier from here on out.

xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

Did you go to the game? I thought it was going to rain. Only 1 TD scored in the game. Not good. I have no idea why Morgan or Towson can't get kids from Maryland to go to our schools. I think JMU and UMass has more players on there team from Maryland then we do.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Did you go to the game? I thought it was going to rain. Only 1 TD scored in the game. Not good. I have no idea why Morgan or Towson can't get kids from Maryland to go to our schools. I think JMU and UMass has more players on there team from Maryland then we do.

UNH has four kids from MD on its roster, all Freshmen or Redshirt Freshmen. In the past I'd have to say even one kid from MD was unusual. And I think Maine has a couple of kids from MD as well. Lots of recruiting competition, but still I wish that UNH had a home state talent pool like Towson and Morgan State have.

MoBear
September 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM
UNH has four kids from MD on its roster, all Freshmen or Redshirt Freshmen. In the past I'd have to say even one kid from MD was unusual. And I think Maine has a couple of kids from MD as well. Lots of recruiting competition, but still I wish that UNH had a home state talent pool like Towson and Morgan State have.

I just checked out the your roster and you do have just as many players from MD as Morgan and Towson. I mean PA and NJ are 2 states loaded with talent to but we every school near the state of MD seem to recruit from MD better then MD schools even Maryland can't get top level talent from the state. This also goes for basketball to. It puzzles me that a kid would rather go to Maine or New Hamphire rather then Morgan or Towson. I mean we at least have Ocean City.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I just checked out the your roster and you do have just as many players from MD as Morgan and Towson. I mean PA and NJ are 2 states loaded with talent to but we every school near the state of MD seem to recruit from MD better then MD schools even Maryland can't get top level talent from the state. This also goes for basketball to. It puzzles me that a kid would rather go to Maine or New Hamphire rather then Morgan or Towson. I mean we at least have Ocean City.

Both schools only have four kids on their respective rosters from Maryland? xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

UNH has just started recruiting MD since I believe we have an assistant with ties into MD. Two of our four are playing a significant role so far this year, Mickey DeLima OL and Dontra Peters at RB. I don't know if Jerome Wilkins DB or James Scafate OL/DL were recruited walk-ons or scholarship recruits.

I've been to a UNH game at Towson (and plan to down a brew or too with Andy this Saturday). I checked out Morgan State's stadium when I attended the UNH hoop game at UMBC this past February. Both are FAR superior to UNH's relic of a stadium. But UNH has a better football tradition IMHO and definitely has a better track record in the past five years. UNH has a pretty good ranking within the public school world, they stress academics for the athletic teams, the football team in particular has a great family atmosphere, the campus is close to Boston and a quick, non-stop SW flight to BWI (and Philly), the campus is quite nice and close to the ocean as well as the mountains/lakes, etc. It's those attributes that allow UNH to compete in the FCS world when facilities and in-state talent pool don't translate into an easy road to success.

I know we have a women's volleyball player from MD and have had women's lacrosse players from MD. So UNH has to be better known to MD HS kids these days. And the winter weather isn't as severe as back when I went to school so it isn't as much of a deterrent. ;)

MoBear
September 28th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Both schools only have four kids on their respective rosters from Maryland? xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

UNH has just started recruiting MD since I believe we have an assistant with ties into MD. Two of our four are playing a significant role so far this year, Mickey DeLima OL and Dontra Peters at RB. I don't know if Jerome Wilkins DB or James Scafate OL/DL were recruited walk-ons or scholarship recruits.

I've been to a UNH game at Towson (and plan to down a brew or too with Andy this Saturday). I checked out Morgan State's stadium when I attended the UNH hoop game at UMBC this past February. Both are FAR superior to UNH's relic of a stadium. But UNH has a better football tradition IMHO and definitely has a better track record in the past five years. UNH has a pretty good ranking within the public school world, they stress academics for the athletic teams, the football team in particular has a great family atmosphere, the campus is close to Boston and a quick, non-stop SW flight to BWI (and Philly), the campus is quite nice and close to the ocean as well as the mountains/lakes, etc. It's those attributes that allow UNH to compete in the FCS world when facilities and in-state talent pool don't translate into an easy road to success.

I know we have a women's volleyball player from MD and have had women's lacrosse players from MD. So UNH has to be better known to MD HS kids these days. And the winter weather isn't as severe as back when I went to school so it isn't as much of a deterrent. ;)

Well I would have to say that UNH has a better recent history for football then Morgan and Towson but historicly I would say Morgan. The Bears were really good waaaaaaaaay back in the day. If I had a choice to play football in today’s time I would consider UNH and Maine. Because you guys are winning. Morgan hasn’t won the MEAC in about 30 years and Towson has never won the CAA or A-10.

Morgan’s academic succeces is with our teaching program. Not to many male students want to be teachers. Towson has an excellent medical proagram but with John Hopkins here why go to Towson when you can go to the best in the country. Maryland is a good state to go to school in and have a social life. Thats why I don’t understand why our athletes are so quick to leave. The harbor is good but only in the summer and when the Ravens are playing. Most night clubs here are good but nothing like Boston or NY. We’re not far from DC which has a good night life. Ocean City is beautiful in the summer (and cheap) Towson town center is not far from Towson I just don’t get why UNH, Maine, JMU, Umass and even West Virginia are able to get more and better players from MD then Towson, Morgan, and Maryland.

BDKJMU
September 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM
"URI @ UConn by 4-5 TDs." 52-10 xeyebrowx (eh, 6 TD margin, so not too far off)

"UNH @ Dartmouth. UNH by 4-5 TDs." (44-14) xthumbsupx

"VMI @ UR by 4-5 TDs." (38-28) xeyebrowx

"Northeastsern @ Nova by 4-5 TDs." (56-7) xeyebrowx

"Towson @ Morgan State. TU by a TD or less" (9-12) xoopsx

"UMass @ Stoney Brook by 3-4 TDs." (44-17) xthumbsupx

"Hofstra @ W Michigan by 4-5 TDs." (24-10) xeyebrowx (JMU better show up next Sat)

"Maine @ Syracuse by 3-4 TDs." (41-24) xthumbsupx (2.5 TDs close enough)

"UD @ W&M in OT." 30-20 xeyebrowx

"JMU 38, @ Liberty 24" (24-10) xthumbsupx (I got the 2 TD margin right).

Week 1: No picks
Week 2: 7-1 (wrong on Ball State/UNH)
Week 3: 7-2 (wrong on Maine/Albany & Towson/Coastal)
Week 4: 9-1

89Hen
September 29th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Week 4: 9-1
xeyebrowx Looked like 4-6 to me. xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

BDKJMU
September 29th, 2009, 04:54 PM
xeyebrowx Looked like 4-6 to me. xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

In that case everyone else went 0-10, because no one picked the exact score of any game. xsmiley_wix