PDA

View Full Version : NOTHING TORN!

KiddBrewer
December 12th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Courtesy of GOASU.com........

"Appalachian received nothing but good news on the injury front on Monday. The results of an MRI on Williams’ injured left ankle revealed no tears or fractures, just a sprained tendon. Williams did not practice on Monday, but remains day-to-day for Friday’s battle for the national title versus UNI."

SO YOURE TELLIN' ME THERES A CHANCE!??!?!?!

either way, elder is the man and can win big games too....hes got texas state and Furman in the semi's on his resume. there is a lot of people that have faith in Trey, myself included.

December 12th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Courtesy of GOASU.com........

"Appalachian received nothing but good news on the injury front on Monday. The results of an MRI on Williams’ injured left ankle revealed no tears or fractures, just a sprained tendon. Williams did not practice on Monday, but remains day-to-day for Friday’s battle for the national title versus UNI."...Gawd this has been posted four times now! Do people actually read what other's have posted?

HiHiYikas
December 12th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Gawd this has been posted four times now! Do people actually read what other's have posted?
It's just very good news for ASU fans, ralph, and most of us are too excited about hearing it to check to see if it's been posted before.

Go to an in-game thread and see if every TD or fumble is only posted once...it's a similar phenomenon.

The news is getting old, though.

KiddBrewer
December 12th, 2005, 11:40 PM
The news is getting old, though.

richie williams possibly playing in the national championship game.......to me my friend, that news can never get old. if i didnt think id get in trouble, id start another tread about it.....just kidding.

December 12th, 2005, 11:41 PM
richie williams possibly playing in the national championship game.......to me my friend, that news can never get old. if i didnt think id get in trouble, id start another tread about it.....just kidding.Check the thread right next to this on this very board:
2005 NATIONAL TITLE: Appalachian State vs. Northern Iowa

colgate13
December 13th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Let me play devil's advocate for a second though: what if the feeling is to play Richie but he's not 100%? Could that actually be a 'bad' decision made with the gut and not the head? I make a comparision to Lafayette when their starter Mauerer got hurt, but they played him less than 100% and they lost to an Ivy, Princeton I think. Davis, who you saw, was there and capable, but the starter got the nod and stayed in the game longer then they should have.

I'm not saying it will happen here to ASU, but... it's something to think about. Just because he can play, doesn't mean he's 100% and that he's the best choice here if you've got a capable backup.

blueballs
December 13th, 2005, 08:03 AM
I realize Williams is the QB but...

... in 1999 Adrian Peterson was on crutches all week and even the day before the championship game with turf toe. He didn't practice all week and his status was in severe doubt.The GSU staff was pretty mum all week and a lot of folks were very worried.

Peterson wound up dressing out that Saturday and ran for over 240 yards, set a NC record, and gave us a highlight run that is still talked about.

Based on that I wouldn't count Williams out.

Appstate03
December 13th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Let me play devil's advocate for a second though: what if the feeling is to play Richie but he's not 100%? Could that actually be a 'bad' decision made with the gut and not the head? I make a comparision to Lafayette when their starter Mauerer got hurt, but they played him less than 100% and they lost to an Ivy, Princeton I think. Davis, who you saw, was there and capable, but the starter got the nod and stayed in the game longer then they should have.

I'm not saying it will happen here to ASU, but... it's something to think about. Just because he can play, doesn't mean he's 100% and that he's the best choice here if you've got a capable backup.

I am pretty sure that if Richie did not look good in the first drive, Coach Moore would take him out. Trey will probably still practice with the first team all week so either way I feel good with our chances. If Richie plays and he is close to 100%, I really like our chances. We'll just have to give him a cortisone shot before the game.

ButlerGSU
December 13th, 2005, 10:19 AM
That's great news, he's a heck of an athlete. I'd hate to see him miss the biggest game of his career. Good luck in 'Nooga Richie and congrads on the graphics degree.

Tealblood
December 13th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Is the back-up the same kid who beat Conway in the state champ game a couple of years ago

SoCon48
December 13th, 2005, 10:47 AM
That's great news, he's a heck of an athlete. I'd hate to see him miss the biggest game of his career. Good luck in 'Nooga Richie and congrads on the graphics degree.

Me, too, BG, but i'd also hate to see him ruin any NFL chance he might have by injuring it further.
Richie will definitely want to play if he thinks it's best for the team. You can count on that much!
Nice sentiments there, GSU. Any team who wins the NC will have to have a little luck thrown in.

Good luck on your new coach.

Mr. C
December 13th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Richie had a similar injury (an ankle sprain) in his sophomore season and was ruled out for the Wofford game that ended up deciding the SoCon championship. Eric Elsener made the only start of his career and had ASU in a 17-0 hole late in the third quarter (including allowing a 41-yard interception return for a TD). Williams came off the bench and threw a pair of TD passes to DaVon Fowlkes to get ASU back in the game before the Terriers put it away late, 24-14. At the time, ASU was primarily an I formation team, but Williams went exclusively from the shotgun the rest of the way and completed 15-of-21 passes for 247 yards in just 19 minutes. That was against an excellent Wofford team that lost to Delaware in the semifinals and gave the Blue Hens their toughest game in the playoffs. So even an injured Williams is not someone to take lightly.

Mr. C
December 13th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Is the back-up the same kid who beat Conway in the state champ game a couple of years ago
Yes, Elder was undefeated as a starting QB at South Carolina's Byrnes High School.

DinoDex200
December 13th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Richie had a similar injury (an ankle sprain) in his sophomore season and was ruled out for the Wofford game that ended up deciding the SoCon championship. Eric Elsener made the only start of his career and had ASU in a 17-0 hole late in the third quarter (including allowing a 41-yard interception return for a TD). Williams came off the bench and threw a pair of TD passes to DaVon Fowlkes to get ASU back in the game before the Terriers put it away late, 24-14. At the time, ASU was primarily an I formation team, but Williams went exclusively from the shotgun the rest of the way and completed 15-of-21 passes for 247 yards in just 19 minutes. That was against an excellent Wofford team that lost to Delaware in the semifinals and gave the Blue Hens their toughest game in the playoffs. So even an injured Williams is not someone to take lightly.

I kind of wonder if that was the game that first gave us the idea to run Richie exclusively no-huddle. He tore it up in that game, with the exception of his one int.

Mr. C
December 13th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I kind of wonder if that was the game that first gave us the idea to run Richie exclusively no-huddle. He tore it up in that game, with the exception of his one int.
I've often wondered the same thing, but never have asked Jerry Moore about it. Maybe, I'll ask him on Wednesday.

Appstate03
December 13th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I will take Richie sitting in the pocket all day. We have a pretty good line that can give him time and UNI's passing defense is awful. He won't be typical Richie, but I'm sure with a shot in his ankle he can scramble some if needed.

DinoDex200
December 13th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I will take Richie sitting in the pocket all day. We have a pretty good line that can give him time and UNI's passing defense is awful. He won't be typical Richie, but I'm sure with a shot in his ankle he can scramble some if needed.

Now that I think about it, he didn't run much against SIU, and UNI's pass defense is about as suspect as the Salukis'. Might not be a bad idea.

appst89
December 13th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Richie had several 400 yard games last year and he threw for 367 against SIU in the quarters. If the statistics tell the true story of UNI's pass defense, then he can stand in the pocket and pick them apart. Having said that, I'd still start a 100% Trey over an 80% Richie.

AppStateSVX
December 13th, 2005, 04:25 PM
if Richie is able to play, I think it would be best to save him for the 2nd half, and let Trey start. Use Richie in the 2nd half to help fuel the team even more. I think Trey will do a great job though, he has a great arm

December 13th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Richie had several 400 yard games last year and he threw for 367 against SIU in the quarters. If the statistics tell the true story of UNI's pass defense, then he can stand in the pocket and pick them apart...Sort of like how Erik Meyer, Ricky Santos and Barrick Nealy did? Errr, did not...

Appstate03
December 13th, 2005, 04:42 PM
if Richie is able to play, I think it would be best to save him for the 2nd half, and let Trey start. Use Richie in the 2nd half to help fuel the team even more. I think Trey will do a great job though, he has a great arm

I do not agree. I think that we need to see right away right Richie can do. I would rather him screw up on the first two drives which would give us a chance to get back into the game if he is playing like crap. We know Trey can come in and take care of business if needed.

Appstate03
December 13th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Sort of like how Erik Meyer, Ricky Santos and Barrick Nealy did? Errr, did not...

Erik Meyer threw for 387 yards against UNI the first round.
Ricky Santos for 345 in the second round.
They can be thrown against

bcrawf
December 13th, 2005, 04:49 PM
UNI gets much better pressure on the quarterback than SIU. Do not let those stats fool you. They are a little scewed because of the Illinois St game because we got shredded. Look at some of the quarterbacks we've beaten in the last few weeks- Sambursky, Meyer, Santos, Nealy, and we have seen 1st team all big ten Drew Tate.

bcrawf
December 13th, 2005, 04:50 PM

And the Final Scores???

Appstate03
December 13th, 2005, 04:56 PM
And the Final Scores???

My point is that UNI can be thrown against if Richie just stands in the pocket instead of running around like he usually does.

Griswold
December 13th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by appst89
Richie had several 400 yard games last year and he threw for 367 against SIU in the quarters. If the statistics tell the true story of UNI's pass defense, then he can stand in the pocket and pick them apart...

Originally Posted by ralph
Sort of like how Erik Meyer, Ricky Santos and Barrick Nealy did? Errr, did not...

YEAH like they did...
Meyer 387 yards 4 TDs 0 INTs
Santos 345 yards 3 TDs 0 INTs
Nealy 221 yards 3 TDs 1 INT

Granted those team didn't win but you can't tell me, "Errr, did not..." :eyebrow:

I like Apps chances if who ever is the QB is has 318 yards 3 TDs plus some rushing yards!

HiHiYikas
December 13th, 2005, 05:00 PM
And the Final Scores???

I think you misread the post as follows:

UNI automatically lost both games as a result

JohnStOnge
December 13th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately, they probably need to play Elder. It's kind of like Furman with the running back Ivory a few years back. Their stud got injured and they played him in the championship game but he had no shot at being effective. My guess is it's one of those cases where the healthy backup gives you a better chance than the injured starter. I hope I'm wrong but that's my guess after seeing him on crutches and hearing that he was hobbled badly enough for them to think it was worse than it is.

JohnStOnge
December 13th, 2005, 05:34 PM
My point is that UNI can be thrown against if Richie just stands in the pocket instead of running around like he usually does.

UNI is definitely vulnerable on defense...though I'm still trying to figure out how UNH could only squeeze 21 points out of 631 yards..even with 3 turnovers. I mean...how DO you do that? Surely they at least got into field goal range a few more times.

Anyway, it's UNI's offense that's the problem. If I were App State's staff I'd be watching UNI/Illinois State film. The Redbirds showed it can be done. Or maybe it was in the rain or something.

On offense App needs a quarterback in there who can run the ball. That's their offense. If Williams can't run the ball effectively they'll be better off with Elder. It's a shame because I really enjoyed watching Williams on TV until he got hurt. I also enjoyed listening to the live LSU radio call. Stunned disbelief on the part of the guys calling the game. "They just CAN'T get him." Then lots of discussion about how quick he is.

December 13th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Erik Meyer 25-44-0-387 no scores in the last 11 minutes.
Santos, Ricky 27-42-0-345 no scores in the fourth quarter.
Nealy, Barrick 16-25-1-221 no scores in the fourth quarter.

AppStateSVX
December 13th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I just got back from the Celebration to send the team off, and Richie looked fine, he was walking w/o any kind of a limp. It was pretty awesome to see them off, WHOOOO!!! GO ASU!!!!

Appstate03
December 13th, 2005, 06:15 PM
I just got back from the Celebration to send the team off, and Richie looked fine, he was walking w/o any kind of a limp. It was pretty awesome to see them off, WHOOOO!!! GO ASU!!!!

The news keeps getting better for us, and much much worse for UNI. Granted he won't be 100%. But I'm still so very excited. :hyped:

asu70
December 13th, 2005, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=AppStateSVX]I just got back from the Celebration to send the team off, and Richie looked fine, he was walking w/o any kind of a limp. It was pretty awesome to see them off, WHOOOO!!! GO ASU!!!![/QUote How many App fans at the send off.

JohnStOnge
December 13th, 2005, 06:20 PM
UNI gets much better pressure on the quarterback than SIU. Do not let those stats fool you. They are a little scewed because of the Illinois St game because we got shredded. Look at some of the quarterbacks we've beaten in the last few weeks- Sambursky, Meyer, Santos, Nealy, and we have seen 1st team all big ten Drew Tate.

I don't think it was stellar performances by UNI's defense that won the Eastern Washington and Texas State games. And, like I said, I don't know how they managed to hold UNH to 21 points in spite of giving up over 600 yards. That's amazing.

Anyway, the 454 yards Texas State got last week was the fewest allowed by UNI in four games against playoff teams (SIU got 465). In four games against playoff teams UNI's defense has given up averages of 507 yards and 30 points per game. The Panther's aren't where they are because they have a good defense.

KiddBrewer
December 13th, 2005, 06:53 PM

In that case, Trey will do fine. Many people have said that Trey is just as good if not better than Richie (hmmmm) in the pocket. He does have a very accurate arm.

Appstate03
December 13th, 2005, 07:00 PM
In that case, Trey will do fine. Many people have said that Trey is just as good if not better than Richie (hmmmm) in the pocket. He does have a very accurate arm.

I agree. I've said all along that Trey will fill in fine for Richie if he needs to. I would much rather have a banged up Williams in, that cannot run like he usually does and just has to sit in the pocket, for 1 reason, he has exceptional poise and decision making. Trey could do well too, but Williams has something that Trey will not have for another year or so......that is game playing experience. It is valuable when going for something like a national championship.

KiddBrewer
December 13th, 2005, 07:03 PM
I agree. I've said all along that Trey will fill in fine for Richie if he needs to. I would much rather have a banged up Williams in, that cannot run like he usually does and just has to sit in the pocket, for 1 reason, he has exceptional poise and decision making. Trey could do well too, but Williams has something that Trey will not have for another year or so......that is game playing experience. It is valuable when going for something like a national championship.

GOOD CALL!

appst89
December 13th, 2005, 08:00 PM
xidiotx

PantherMan
December 13th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I don't think it was stellar performances by UNI's defense that won the Eastern Washington and Texas State games. And, like I said, I don't know how they managed to hold UNH to 21 points in spite of giving up over 600 yards. That's amazing.

Anyway, the 454 yards Texas State got last week was the fewest allowed by UNI in four games against playoff teams (SIU got 465). In four games against playoff teams UNI's defense has given up averages of 507 yards and 30 points per game. The Panther's aren't where they are because they have a good defense.

Agreed. ASU is going to score some points regardless of who they play at the QB position. However, the Panthers will get theirs too. You don't score 28 points against Iowa at Kinnick by accident. This game has the makings to be the fourth shootout of the playoffs for the Panthers. :hurray:

Black and Gold Express
December 13th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Agreed. ASU is going to score some points regardless of who they play at the QB position. However, the Panthers will get theirs too. You don't score 28 points against Iowa at Kinnick by accident. This game has the makings to be the fourth shootout of the playoffs for the Panthers. :hurray:

Maybe, but maybe not. You point to one game as data, I'll give you a season's worth:

EKU - 16 (31.5 ppg avg)
CCU - 3 (30.7)
Citadel - 13 (17.64)
Furman - 34 (34.86)
GSU - 7 (38.00)
Wofford - 17 (22.64)
Chattanooga - 25 (22.27)
WCU - 7 (19.89)
Elon - 14 (15.73) * - all points came in the 4th quarter
Lafayette - 23 (22.75)
SIU - 24 (34.54)
Furman - 23 (34.86)

All data coming from the NCAA website.

ASU has held all but 2 I-AA opponents to at, or in most case well below, their season scoring average. 6 of them were 10 or more points below their scoring average.

It could be that you're right, but it's at least fair to note that we've made a living all year of keeping people out of the endzone more often than they are used to being. Something to consider. And it's not just cupcake teams we've done it to, either.

PantherMan
December 13th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Maybe, but maybe not. You point to one game as data, I'll give you a season's worth:

EKU - 16 (31.5 ppg avg)
CCU - 3 (30.7)
Citadel - 13 (17.64)
Furman - 34 (34.86)
GSU - 7 (38.00)
Wofford - 17 (22.64)
Chattanooga - 25 (22.27)
WCU - 7 (19.89)
Elon - 14 (15.73) * - all points came in the 4th quarter
Lafayette - 23 (22.75)
SIU - 24 (34.54)
Furman - 23 (34.86)

All data coming from the NCAA website.

ASU has held all but 2 I-AA opponents to at, or in most case well below, their season scoring average. 6 of them were 10 or more points below their scoring average.

It could be that you're right, but it's at least fair to note that we've made a living all year of keeping people out of the endzone more often than they are used to being. Something to consider. And it's not just cupcake teams we've done it to, either.

That data from the Iowa game was not meant to say it was the only example. But scoring 21 (I was mistaken on the score) against Iowa in Kinnick has been very difficult for Big 10 teams over the years. That was with 2 deep playing against us all day. The only true "let down" game offensively speaking was the loss at Illinois State when Sanders was injured and sat out.

I don't have the time or energy to look up all these teams' average scoring Defense, but here's the points against each opponent:

Drake 52
Minnesota State 49
Iowa 21
WIU 41
MSU 21 (without Sanders for 3 quarters)
INSU 31 (without Sanders entire game)
ISU 3 (without Sanders entire game)
YSU 21
WKU 23
SIU 25
NAU 41
EWU 41
UNH 24
TXSU 43

I would wager we scored above the season average allowed on at least 12 of those teams, maybe 13.

You may also want to consider that our passing attack is probably more effective than any ASU has yet to see. Your rush defense must be tough allowing GSU only a single TD, but I see Furman (who seemed like a balanced attack, correct me if my assumption is wrong) has put a decent number of points on the board in your two meetings with them. I think that both teams in this game will be in the high 20's to low 30's.

APPST '93
December 14th, 2005, 04:19 AM
You may also want to consider that our passing attack is probably more effective than any ASU has yet to see. Your rush defense must be tough allowing GSU only a single TD, but I see Furman (who seemed like a balanced attack, correct me if my assumption is wrong) has put a decent number of points on the board in your two meetings with them. I think that both teams in this game will be in the high 20's to low 30's.

We actually gave up more yards rushing than passing for the season.

(Totals include playoffs)
Rushing- 2395
Passing- 2283

If you have a balanced attack it will give us problems. If you try to pass all night our DE's and LB's will be all over Sanders.

JohnStOnge
December 14th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Well, the "without Sanders" explains Illinois State. That means nobody's really stopped UNI's offense. They moved the ball very well against Iowa while I was watching.

JohnStOnge
December 14th, 2005, 05:30 AM

That LSU has a more effective passing offense than UNI is plausible. LSU's QB has hit over 60 percent of his passes against a BCS league schedule and they certainly have better athletes. Jamarcus Russell hit 73 percent of his passes against App and I think you could expect something on that level if LSU was playing I-AA defenses every week. UNI's got a track buy but LSU's got a couple of olympic sprinters, etc. Certainly LSU has a more potent overall offense than UNI does just by virtue of having the athletes it has. App holding them to 24 points was impressive.

Of course Furman's offense scored 34 on them during the regular season.

And on the flip side Iowa's defense is better than anything UNI's would have to face in I-AA.

I don't think any team in the playoff field this year had a truely dominant I-AA defense. Hampton's was statistically but I think that was a function of schedule.

thirdgendin
December 14th, 2005, 05:36 AM
I realize Williams is the QB but...

... in 1999 Adrian Peterson was on crutches all week and even the day before the championship game with turf toe. He didn't practice all week and his status was in severe doubt.The GSU staff was pretty mum all week and a lot of folks were very worried.

Peterson wound up dressing out that Saturday and ran for over 240 yards, set a NC record, and gave us a highlight run that is still talked about.

Based on that I wouldn't count Williams out.

Or, like John mentioned earlier, it could be like Louis Ivory in 2001. He was injured in round 1 against WKU and returned for the championship. He was clearly a step or two slower than normal, but Bobby Johnson played him anyway. It cost us dearly in that game.

APPST '93
December 14th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Just pulled this off the ASU website:

The last practice of the season in Boone was a crisp one, despite the fact that Southern Conference Offensive Player of the Year Richie Williams missed his second day in a row with a strained tendon in his left ankle. Williams continued to make progress in his recovery from the injury, however, as he was able to get out and move around on the Kidd Brewer Stadium turf and throw a number of passes to his wide receivers prior to the start of the full-team workout. Williams’ status for Friday’s game remains day-to-day.

I'd say Richie will play.

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Just pulled this off the ASU website:

The last practice of the season in Boone was a crisp one, despite the fact that Southern Conference Offensive Player of the Year Richie Williams missed his second day in a row with a strained tendon in his left ankle. Williams continued to make progress in his recovery from the injury, however, as he was able to get out and move around on the Kidd Brewer Stadium turf and throw a number of passes to his wide receivers prior to the start of the full-team workout. Williams’ status for Friday’s game remains day-to-day.

I'd say Richie will play.

I'd agree, but only if we aren't effective for whatever reason with Trey.

APPST '93
December 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM
I think Richie will see some action but it will be limited. Maybe some plays with both Richie and Trey on the field at the same time?????

Black and Gold Express
December 14th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Furman has a balanced attack. So does ASU, which catches people by surprise a lot.

It's no secret that our toughest I-AA games have been against Furman (x2) and Lafayette. But SIU was supposed to have this same kind of offense and you know how that game went.

If we're into realism though, I'd rate LSU as having a better passing attack, and we held them to 24 points, and only 14 starting the fourth. We played really well in that game.

And now we're back to an original problem. We have one common opponent, Southern Illinois. And since it seems many UNI fans (and their apparent new "fan" the last 2+ weeks in ralph) want to dismiss that because of the intangibles of that game, and how it's not a "valid" comparison tool. The cynic in me believes that the real reason is probably in large part because it doesn't paint UNI in a favorable a light, but whatever.

So unless you are willing to analyze the common opponent, then nothing we can back and forth on has much more than an little merit. In a situation where all the statistics for the entire season, save one game, were against completely different opponents, you have to at some point relent and look at the common denominators.

We're all interested in seeing how these two teams stack up. But when one side is not willing to use the common data, Or at best case, try and throw a serious asterisk up on it, then really we're doing nothing but waste our time. Maybe that's the point of all this, to waste time until the game.

But knowing little about UNI other than the 2 games on TV I saw, I'm interested in trying to figure out how this game would play out from the unbiased numbers.

What I saw in UNI was a team that showed a very respectable ability to pull out games in the end that they maybe shouldn't have won, and nobody is discounting that ability. The kid Surrency looks like a good wideout, and Horne looks like a good running back. Sanders looked above average, but certainly not a top-notch threat. But the defense let both teams go up and down the field all day. And trust me from watching far too much of the 2004 ASU team, sooner or later those "bend but don't break" defenses do break, and break badly. ASU's defense, while not world-beaters, has 4 All-Americans on it and has come up big all through the playoffs, especially in the second half of the closer games, and they were flat out dominanat in the first half of the SIU game, allowing the offense to put it pretty much out of reach by halftime.

UNI needed a Prayer Answered on that 2-point conversion that was floated up for grabs to tie the game against TSU, and then Coach Bailiff's inexplicable choice to not drive for a field goal attempt at least. One could also point to "the slip" being ASU's version of that, and that's a fair argument. There's no doubt you have to be lucky and good to get this far. But lucky is a fleeting thing (as Furman found out in the end after many last-minute wins that had a dose of good luck in them), while good usually remains a constant. And it's my opinion that when you strip it all down, ASU is the better team, talent wise.

I guess at this point there's not much left to do but wait and watch the game.

bcrawf
December 14th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Horne looks like a good running back.

Good?? He is Nebraska's all time leading freshman rusher with almost 700 yards!!

Sanders looked above average, but certainly not a top-notch threat.

It not the stats or how he looks on the field. He is a winner no matter how you slice it. In high school, he took one of the traditionally worst programs in everything (football has gone 0-9 the past two years without him) to state in Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Golf.

UNI needed a Prayer Answered on that 2-point conversion that was floated up for grabs to tie the game against TSU

If you watch earlier in the game Nealy tried to make the exact same throw on a 2 pt conversion and could not get it in there.

I agree that ASU may be slightly more talented numbers and stats wise, but to make comparison, are the Patriots always the mosst talented team? No, it is about intangibles and planning and UNI does that as well as anybody. If football games were played on Paper the Rams would have won the past 6 or so Super Bowls.

Good Luck to you guys from ASU and we hope Williams plays because we want the two best possible teams on the field Friday then we will know who the true champion is!!

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Good?? He is Nebraska's all time leading freshman rusher with almost 700 yards!!

It not the stats or how he looks on the field. He is a winner no matter how you slice it. In high school, he took one of the traditionally worst programs in everything (football has gone 0-9 the past two years without him) to state in Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Golf.

If you watch earlier in the game Nealy tried to make the exact same throw on a 2 pt conversion and could not get it in there.

I agree that ASU may be slightly more talented numbers and stats wise, but to make comparison, are the Patriots always the mosst talented team? No, it is about intangibles and planning and UNI does that as well as anybody. If football games were played on Paper the Rams would have won the past 6 or so Super Bowls.

Good Luck to you guys from ASU and we hope Williams plays because we want the two best possible teams on the field Friday then we will know who the true champion is!!
Question is. Is Richie at less than his 100% better Friday than Trey at his 100%??

Black and Gold Express
December 14th, 2005, 09:30 AM

And he's not at Nebraska now because...?

Trey Elder has not lost a game as a starter in high school or college. This is the kid that got pooh-poohed by UNI fans yesterday as being "nothing scary". So either let's get off the hypocrisy bandwagon, or realize that when it comes down to it, it's a measure of a player that has it's limits. More on this below.

So the fact that Sanders got lucky that Surrency came down with the jump ball means anything more than UNI got luckier than Texas State did? If anything, this proves my point even more regarding that.

Ah, there's where you are wrong. The fallacy in that argument is that the Patriots, in addition to being a well-disciplined team, did in fact have a lot of top-notch talent. They were a balanced offense and a stifling defense. What got the most pub was their lack of mistakes. Why are the Patriots struggling this year? They're still playing basically the same way. But free agency and injuries have dwindled the talent pool there.

There is one truth to sports: Intangibles do not outweigh talent in the long run. Intangibles take talent to the next level, but the base of it will always be the talent level. A good team playing disciplined can beat a great team playing undisciplined, we all know that. But if the more talented team is also playing disciplined, they're rarely going to lose the game.

It will be a matter of who executes more that wins this game. But if ASU executes well, they have a definite advantage. Maybe I am selling UNI short a little, but if both teams play their best games, I don't see UNI having enough to win it. If ASU plays only good, and UNI plays great, UNI has the talent to win that game. If UNI doesn't play at least good though, I think they're in trouble.

Same to you. I hope it's a great game and experience, although one of us will have to leave unhappy.

I wouldn't count on seeing Williams on the field much, if at all. As much as I'd love to see him out there, I think we're more than capable with a prepared Elder out there. Anything we get from Richie is a bonus.

If Trey plays, and we lose, you will not see me put the blame on the loss on his shoulders. It's a team game, and no one play or player can lose the game. It's a cumulative effort of all the plays, and all the players.

DinoDex200
December 14th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrawf

You would think he'd be the unquestioned starter, and have run for about 2800 yards in I-AA after all that. Hmm...