PDA

View Full Version : Was that Albany's biggest win so far?

JohnStOnge
September 20th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Albany beat a CAA team that went into the game ranked. Is that the biggest win for Albany since the program moved to I-AA/FCS?

Gil Dobie
September 20th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I for one expected Albany to win, as Maine was taken into OT by a mediocre DII St Cloud St.

Yes it is still a big win for Albany.

caribbeanhen
September 20th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Albany beat Delaware in 2006 - that team had Joe Flacco, Ben Patrcik and Omar Cuff - the coaching staff went vanilla and paid the price big time

danefan
September 20th, 2009, 08:40 AM
This is our 4th win against ranked teams, but this is by far the biggest home win we've ever had.

The Delaware win is 2007 definitely still the biggest win we've ever had. Delaware was #11 when that happened.

Other two wins over ranked opponents were over Duquesne in 2002 (ranked 21st) and Central Connecticut in 2007 (ranked 22nd). Neither were scholarship at that point though.

But this win may turn out to be bigger because of the turnaround at the half. A huge confidence boost. And in all honesty this could have just saved the season.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 20th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I see the attendance was almost 5k.

Is that close to the biggest crowd for you guys?

danefan
September 20th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I see the attendance was almost 5k.

Is that close to the biggest crowd for you guys?

It was a big crowd for a rosh-hashana weekend game. There are virtually no students on campus. I actually think the attendance was underreported too. Probably by about 500 or so.

We've seen 5,000+ a couple times in the past few years.

We could get more, but we were pretty much at capacity yesterday.

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM
It was a big crowd for a rosh-hashana weekend game. There are virtually no students on campus. I actually think the attendance was underreported too. Probably by about 500 or so.

Why are we blaming the Jews? Every time I mention sporting events moved due to the Jewish population, everyone says it's no big deal! xwhistlex

GD84
September 20th, 2009, 08:59 AM
hahaha...UAlbany has a large Jewish population. If students were in, I think there would have been close to 6-7k yesterday.

WMTribe90
September 20th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Nice win, but I don't see Maine ending the year ranked. Yesterday exposed a pretty clear division in the CAA.

UAalum72
September 20th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Classes were suspended Friday pm so nobody was on campus. Yom Kippur gives another long weekend next week for the next home game.

There have been a half-dozen crowds over 6,000, but usually at homecoming. Plus a couple estimated at '7,500' vs. Ithaca in the 1970s.

DetroitFlyer
September 20th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Just another nice win by the Danes. It has alot to do with the very title of this messageboard.

ccd494
September 20th, 2009, 09:53 AM
There's a good chance Maine might stink.

4-7 at best, if they can beat both Hofstra and URI.

Who else are they going to beat? The rest of the schedule is Syracuse, Delaware, Richmond, UMass, JMU, UNH. Chalk those up as 0-6.

danefan
September 20th, 2009, 10:03 AM
There's a good chance Maine might stink.

4-7 at best, if they can beat both Hofstra and URI.

Who else are they going to beat? The rest of the schedule is Syracuse, Delaware, Richmond, UMass, JMU, UNH. Chalk those up as 0-6.

I tend to agree with you.

aceinthehole
September 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Great win for UA.

Huge 4th Q. The Danes remain the NEC to be reconned with.

The CCSU/UA game is going to be huge!!!!

maristdb89
September 20th, 2009, 11:36 AM
This was a great win for the UA program. The school is committed to FB and it shows. xthumbsupx

Seahawks Fan
September 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Very good win for Albany. Congrats. xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
September 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM
As a team I'll always root for in football, very happy to see an Albany win. Was very impressed with how hard they played at UNH last year. xthumbsupx

UMass922
September 20th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Thie win at UD in '06 was the bigger win for Albany, IMHO. This year's Maine team doesn't look like anything special; coming into yesterday's game, their resume featured an OT win over a D-II team and a 17-7 win over Northeastern. I didn't have Maine ranked the past two weeks, and I imagine this week most people will finally drop the Black Bears out of their Top 25.