PDA

View Full Version : TXST VS. TCU

TheRiver
September 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
TXST 7 TCU 7

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Congrats TXST...

What was the deal with the review prior to the touchdown that the Bobcats just scored to knot the game? Read some comments on BFs.com. Did not understand them...???

TheRiver
September 19th, 2009, 06:51 PM
GIRL REF. THAT IS ALL I WILL SAY

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 19th, 2009, 06:51 PM
haha

TheRiver
September 19th, 2009, 06:52 PM
RUNING ALL OVER TXST NOW

TheRiver
September 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
TXST 7 TCU 14

TheRiver
September 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM
TCU ball again

TheRiver
September 19th, 2009, 07:08 PM
TXST 7 TXU 21 looks like the D cant stop them

TheRiver
September 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
TXST 14 TCU 21

TheRiver
September 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
TCU Punt

bobcathusband
September 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Looks like we go to the half 28-14 TCU. Not a terrible performance for 1 half the 'Cats. TCU 2 minute offense could move at will against the 'Cats.

El Gato
September 19th, 2009, 07:37 PM
237 yard of offense so far against this stellar TCU D, not bad.

bobcathusband
September 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Not too bad at all...the offense have performed well against this TCU defense. We've already just about outgained the University of Virginia offense in 1 half against TCU.

TheRiver
September 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM
35-14 TCU pulling

bobcathusband
September 19th, 2009, 08:18 PM
35-21 TCU

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 19th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Let's go State! Let's get a stop on D!

TheRiver
September 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
NIT

TheRiver
September 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
BOBCAT NIT now

TheRiver
September 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM
TXST D Holds

TheValleyRaider
September 19th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Good showing from Texas State. TCU certainly appears to have overlooked them a bit, but gutted it out. Lots of good to take from this though if you're a Bobcat fan xnodx

McNeese75
September 19th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Pretty good showing Cats xnodx

bobcathusband
September 19th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Bobcats played well through the better part of 3 quarters. Depth always takes over near the last quarter though. Bobcat running game was nonexistent but would expect that..didn't attempt many runs...the only way we were going to compete with TCU was by passing anyways. Bobcat pass defense looks much improved compare to recent years..if we could just get the run D shored up.

El Gato
September 19th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Run D did well against ASU in the last game. Granted it was a DII foe, but none the less there are some great things to expect from this team.

slycat
September 20th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I go away from this game happy. We hung with a great team for a while and put up points they usually don't give up.

I think Texas St will live up to its hype and put up a fight this year. This was without our top RB or Rivas a top WR.

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Great job Bobcats - please share a Karrington Bush update with the board when you have one. I have circled the Southern Utah game that you guys have coming up in two weeks as a big one. Next week is a glorified Div II game if you ask me!

slycat
September 20th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Great job Bobcats - please share a Karrington Bush update with the board when you have one. I have circled the Southern Utah game that you guys have coming up in two weeks as a big one. Next week is a glorified Div II game if you ask me!

I'll I've heard on Bush so far is that he seems to be recovering fine. Still rising the bike trying to get back on his knee. Early guess was he would be back for the SUU or SELA game. Seeing how Wright has been very conservative with our injured players (Rivas seemed fine but didn't go to TCU) I expect it to be the SELA game. But with our run game stilling struggling I hope its SUU since that game will be a good one. It will be important for 7 DI wins to get an at large if necessary.

CatMom07
September 20th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I was there, here's my assessment.

First, injuries

Bush & Rivas did not travel
Bell was there but played limited, if at all (I didn't see it)
Adley Eshraghipour DT - DNP
K Hampton - FS - came out with either cramped or pulled left ham
C Alexander - plowed in chest by 2 helmuts - down for a long time, came out and almost collapsed on sideline
B George - knee. Hawkins finished (hopefully not bad)
Batchelor - starting PK back from hip pointer - did kick offs
W Thompson - came out once with shoulder but went back in.

The game (yes I know you may probably call me pissy about the officiating but it is what it is.)

Just a few quick game notes.

Going into the 4th it was 35-21. They kept their first team in until 3 minutes left in the game while we started rotating in our 2nd teamers (in the 4Q.) I am not saying we were better than them but I think our coach was the better man for not keeping all our 1's in. I had been told that the TCU coach would pull his players and not run up a score. Found out that's complete bull****.

It gave these guys some good game time and we used Hawkins more than I'd expected. This is also great for him as he will be our QB next year and we'll be back at AGC.

The last team to score 21 on TCU was OU at Norman.

Our receivers, though they seemed to impress alot of TCU fans and even some of ours, were not in sync with George. They went inside when the route was outside. They went outside when the routes were inside. George overthrew a few times...mainly long. Some just out of reach. So, even racking up the passing yardage we did it should have been a whole lot more. Our running game was pretty much shut down but they kept at it. They never wavered or stopped trying. TCU's D is huge. When we get Bush back and hit SLC play it will be awesome. One aspect will open up the other and we'll kick some SLC butt.

Our Special Teams improvement in 2 weeks was, well, WOW http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_e_surprised.gif . Still needs a bit of tweaking and we put new guys back there that did so much better than I expected. Reddic did a good job for someone who has never returned kicks (that kid is going to be awesome the next 4 years) and Alexander did ok after that flub that cost us. Jitters I guess. He's new at it too.

Our O line held their own. Folks over at BCF that weren't even there have become critical of the line but BG had time to do what he needed to do. He wasn't hurried any more than he would be in any game against another good FCS team. In fact I think he exceded my expectations. Maybe I had last year's FBS game in the back of my mind but it didn't happen. The pick was his worst play and I was frustrated by that as you could see bad play unfolding from the get-go. He should have eaten it and taken a FG. The O couldn't open up the holes for our runners but I think this will come. (really missing Bush) We just had the OU transfer take over at RG (he beat out our starter for the job so no longer competing for rotating C) But they kept Hughes and company away from the QB's (for most part) and opened up that passing game.

Our D wasn't as bad as predicted. Not as good as they will be down the line but improved from week 1. I know the numbers don't say that but it was the 4th where they rolled up the numbers (see above about that one)

The Ugly here was the MWC (I believe they were but could be wrong) officiating crew. One of TCU's drives was totally penalty oriented. I would almost bet they didn't get more than 10 yards on one drive that wasn't gained by mysterious penalties by the bobcats. Even the PAT was rekicked due to one. I'm not saying we didn't commit penalties but they committed penalties they got away with. Not ones that were judgement calls either. All 3 sacks Hughes had his hand on George's face mask. George ran out of bounds on one broken play and 2 of their guys hit him from behind (3-4 feet out) which caused him to flip over their bench.(no call) Pass Int was not called on them. They held all over the place and...nadda. It was truly horrendous.

None penalty plays....
Canady ran in a short yardage TD, clearly over the line. The back judge put his hands up but TCU challenged it. It took nearly 5 minutes on the review and they decided it wasn't a TD. We got to do it over.
Their player was down (knee) on the 1 but they allowed the play to continue until he got into the ez.

So the officiating sucked and it was nothing new. We have faced this before. We know, playing the (FBS) teams we do down here, we have the officials to contend with as well. We had to play a perfect game and did the first half. We had the upper hand on turnovers (2) but we gave them 2 back in the 3rd Q that cost us dearly.

We went into this game being tagged "wannabes," DII slackers, buffoons. We would have Hughes all over our QB, our offense wouldn't get as much yardage as UVA and we wouldn't ever score. The entire game I was impressed by the teams tenacity and never say die play. I was never upset or down during this game and came away ready to say "SLC - bring it on."

TheValleyRaider
September 20th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Going into the 4th it was 35-21. They kept their first team in until 3 minutes left in the game while we started rotating in our 2nd teamers (in the 4Q.) I am not saying we were better than them but I think our coach was the better man for not keeping all our 1's in. I had been told that the TCU coach would pull his players and not run up a score. Found out that's complete bull****.

I don't know where you would have heard GP would pull his starters, but having watched this team for the last two years, that's certainly not the case. TCU's playing for a BCS bowl, and the only way to do that is to run the table and blowout the opposition not named Utah, BYU or Clemson. I don't particularly care for it, mostly because it puts key members of the Frogs' already shaky offense at risk for unnecessary injuries, but that's how they play the game

As for the officiating, I'll disagree. The sacks looked clean to me, TxSt benefitted from a touch PI call before their first TD, and TCU had a PAT pushed back due to a penalty as well. Admittedly a pro-TCU viewpoint, but I didn't see anything particularly untoward

Bobcats played well, no question. I was glad to see they kept TCU honest, especially deep into the 3rd. Good representation for FCS and a good experience for TSU. They won't see a defense this good for the rest of the season, and if they're this ready, they'll put up a lot of points. Good luck Cats xthumbsupx (unless you see Colgate in the playoffs ;))

CatMom07
September 21st, 2009, 12:26 AM
I don't know where you would have heard GP would pull his starters, but having watched this team for the last two years, that's certainly not the case. TCU's playing for a BCS bowl, and the only way to do that is to run the table and blowout the opposition not named Utah, BYU or Clemson. I don't particularly care for it, mostly because it puts key members of the Frogs' already shaky offense at risk for unnecessary injuries, but that's how they play the game

TCU killerfrogs board. Take that how you will

As for the officiating, I'll disagree. The sacks looked clean to me, TxSt benefitted from a touch PI call before their first TD, and TCU had a PAT pushed back due to a penalty as well. Admittedly a pro-TCU viewpoint, but I didn't see anything particularly untoward

I sat with TCU fans who were befuddled by the officiating and the penalty calls, or lack thereof, by the officials. So I am not alone in this assessment. But it's my viewpoint and people are free to disagree

Bobcats played well, no question. I was glad to see they kept TCU honest, especially deep into the 3rd. Good representation for FCS and a good experience for TSU. They won't see a defense this good for the rest of the season, and if they're this ready, they'll put up a lot of points. Good luck Cats xthumbsupx (unless you see Colgate in the playoffs ;))

TT aside - it's TXST. Thanks. I think we'll do well. I had my concerns before the season started but if they keep improving I can see it coming down to the last 2 weeks.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2009, 06:54 AM

It was a two score game heading into the fourth quarter. As mentioned by the other poster, TCU is playing for something in which scores matter. They got some help with USC and BYU losing over the weekend. They know how the cards are stacked...

And TXST did not have to put second-teamers in if they did not want to.

When we get Bush back and hit SLC play it will be awesome. One aspect will open up the other and we'll kick some SLC butt.

We'll not get a chance to really assess the Bobcats until you get the whole gang back together. It stinks, because if the Bobcats were to stumble against the usual Southern Utah squad without the full compliment of players, it could get in the way of really helping our conference get two teams in to the playoffs. SFA needs to keep winning, I guess.

TT aside - it's TXST. Thanks. I think we'll do well. I had my concerns before the season started but if they keep improving I can see it coming down to the last 2 weeks.

Hey - I call you guys 'TXST' when abbreviating. Let's remember, you are the one that gives us the Sam Houston State - Huntsville line. At least I am going by the official name of the school, Texas State University - San Marcos.

Guess that's my opinion and we're all entitled to one, eh? And I've got no good argument, so that's what I'll say... xwhistlex

TheValleyRaider
September 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM
TCU killerfrogs board. Take that how you will

Well, then they weren't watching most of last season, because the starters played late then, especially as the season went longer. Can't tell you how many times I yelled to get Dalton out of there last year in the 4th after they already had 40 on the board xoopsx

I sat with TCU fans who were befuddled by the officiating and the penalty calls, or lack thereof, by the officials. So I am not alone in this assessment. But it's my viewpoint and people are free to disagree

Fair enough, but I've seen much worse officiating (*cough*MEAC*coughcough*) xpeacex

It was a two score game heading into the fourth quarter. As mentioned by the other poster, TCU is playing for something in which scores matter. They got some help with USC and BYU losing over the weekend. They know how the cards are stacked...

Actually, the BYU loss hurts, especially given it was a blowout, at home, to an otherwise underwhelming Florida State team. That plus Utah losing to Oregon (a team Boise already beat) and it was rough day for the Mountain West. Hurts the old SOS resume. Gotta run the table anyhow....

McNeese75
September 21st, 2009, 08:50 AM

;) xnodx