PDA

View Full Version : UMass vs. Rhode Island Official Thread

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I'm leaving now for the game. Should be a good one. I will post some updates via my BlackBerry.

GO UMASS!!

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 02:00 PM
The tailgating is solid, lots of people. And the weather is absolutely perfect.

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 02:47 PM
UMass 7 - URI 0

912 in 1st

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM
UMass intercepted URI in the endzone.

1st and 10 on the 20.

510 in 1st

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 03:13 PM
UMass 14 - URI 0

1331 in 2nd.

Havens 2nd TD throw today.
This one 8 yards to Victor Cruz.

Fordham
September 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Emery - what's the deal? Is this is a UMASS dominating performance right now or is URI competitive ... or at least better than previous years?

We were crushed by them last week. Getting very nervous seeing them down 14 - 0 to you guys already while I'm getting ready to head out to our game v. Columbia.

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM
UMass 21 - URI 0

Tony Nelson 4 yard run.

244 left in second.

To answer the question above, UMass Defense is playing pretty darn good.

And the UMass offense is just doing whatever they want to URI at the moment.

URI just doesn't look they are able to put it all together right now.

So based on that the Fordham defense just played really bad last week or they might just have some major problems this year.

Jackman
September 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM
URI had a great opening drive that ended with a pick on the UMass 3 yard line, but other than that it's been all long drives by UMass, stopped only by another red zone interception. URI's QB is playing well but UMass is getting in the backfield and blowing up all their plays.

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 03:52 PM
UMass 21 - URI 0

Halftime

URI missed a field goal with 6 seconds left in the half.

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
UMass 21 - URI 7

URI just ripped the ball out of our back-up running backs hands and ran back for a touchdown 67 yards.

UMass was starting to get lazy so hopefully this wakes them up.

8:49 left in 3rd

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM
UMass 24 - URI 7

Should have been a touchdown but there was a dropped pass in the endzone. Settled for a Cuko 21 yard field goal.

LacesOut
September 19th, 2009, 04:50 PM
RI driving. First down at the UMass 21. 3:15 left in the 3rd.

Jackman
September 19th, 2009, 04:51 PM
We've been very close to putting this game away, but we can't seem to make that one last play to do it.

LacesOut
September 19th, 2009, 04:52 PM
FG RI. 24-10 UMass still in front.

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 04:52 PM
UMass 24 - URI 10

2:25 left in 3rd

LacesOut
September 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM
UMass punting. RI fair catches at their own 20 or so.

1 minute left in the 3rd.

LacesOut
September 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
URI's helmets and uni's..............ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

LacesOut
September 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Damn RI driving. Down to the UMass 15.

Jackman
Ugh, we're determined to make an interesting game of this.

EmeryZach
UMass just fumbled a punt return and URI is driving at the UMass 15 with 13 mins left

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 05:08 PM
4th and 2 on the 5 for URI. This is big here.

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 05:09 PM
URI qb fumbles the snap! UMass ball.

LacesOut
September 19th, 2009, 05:11 PM
OMG

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
UMass 27 - URI 10

37 yard Cuko field goal.

8:07 left

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
UMass 30 - URI 10

42 yard Cuko field goal. He's having one hell of a day.

2:23 left

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 05:37 PM
UMass 30 - URI 10

FINAL

Good game

LacesOut
September 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Nice win, UMass. Gotta win the home games vs. CAA opponents.

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah the team looked really good today. This was the first time I got to see them play live this season and I was very impressed. Havens looks awesome! Poised in the pocket and very accurate throws. Victor Cruz is a monster at WR. Cuko is kicking great. The defense just looks hungry I every play; tons of hard hits.

This team definitely looks good right now, but lets see how they do when they have to play the big boys.

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
BTW, the renovations to the campus center hotel are great! My hotel room looks awesome. A little pricey but very nice.

bkrownd
September 19th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I'm leaving now for the game.

Oh, rub it in. How many slices of Antonio's did you consume?

Cobblestone
September 19th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Didn't get to see the game today. It sounds like we were a little more competetive than the final score might indicate. I'm glad to see our D got a TD; that's 2 weeks in a row they've done that. Etienne's numbers of 20-39-1 198 yards are decent but we need to have much more of a running game than today. That's not to take away from the UMASS defense which sounds pretty solid.

I'll take a decent performance against a solid UMASS team out of this.

umassfan
September 19th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Didn't get to see the game today. It sounds like we were a little more competetive than the final score might indicate. I'm glad to see our D got a TD; that's 2 weeks in a row they've done that. Etienne's numbers of 20-39-1 198 yards are decent but we need to have much more of a running game than today. That's not to take away from the UMASS defense which sounds pretty solid.

I'll take a decent performance against a solid UMASS team out of this.

If you didnt see the game then how can you say it was more competetive then the sore indicated? That is false. This game was never close and UMass did what they wanted any time any drive. We should have won by alot more. Your only TD was on a "fumble" when the play should have been called dead. The UMass running back stoped forward progress but the refs never blew the wistle. He had the ball riped out of his hands and returned for a TD. This game should have been 40 something to 3.

Minuteman87
September 20th, 2009, 05:11 AM
My impression was that UMass played more conservatively on offense in the second half after going up 21-0. Havens was passing at will against a very weak secondary in the first half. Maybe URI made some halftime adjustments.

URI's run D and pass rush was good I thought. Paul-Etienne has some skills, but he was running for his life half the game and made a lot of throws on the run. URI moved the ball but couldn't finish the deal (two turnovers in the red zone).

Better Rams teams than the past couple years, but still some work to be done in Kingston.

Cobblestone
September 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
If you didnt see the game then how can you say it was more competetive then the sore indicated? That is false. This game was never close and UMass did what they wanted any time any drive. We should have won by alot more. Your only TD was on a "fumble" when the play should have been called dead. The UMass running back stoped forward progress but the refs never blew the wistle. He had the ball riped out of his hands and returned for a TD. This game should have been 40 something to 3.

never mind.

Cobblestone
September 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
My impression was that UMass played more conservatively on offense in the second half after going up 21-0. Havens was passing at will against a very weak secondary in the first half. Maybe URI made some halftime adjustments.

URI's run D and pass rush was good I thought. Paul-Etienne has some skills, but he was running for his life half the game and made a lot of throws on the run. URI moved the ball but couldn't finish the deal (two turnovers in the red zone).

Better Rams teams than the past couple years, but still some work to be done in Kingston.

Good analysis, thanks.

Old Cage
September 20th, 2009, 08:36 AM
UMass is stronger than most folks around the CAA thought we would be. That's understandable given a new head coach and a new QB.

On O, Nelson, Cruz and Ducasse are living up to their pre-season accolades. Havens is stronger by the week at QB and the positive is how he is getting better seeing the field. Yesterday he found nine different receivers and, except for looking for Cruz, is very willing to take what is given.

On D there is no better safety in our division than Jeromy Miles. The URI receivers learned early and often that he was in the vicinity. Our DBs have really stepped up and played very well when we went to three down linemen and five backs. We might have been there a loooong time before Rhody scores an offensive TD.

Kicker Cuko had a field day yesterday.

Bring on them Stony Brooks! :D

scotte303
September 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I was at the game...and I think URI could compete with them, URI may not of won, however we made alot of mistakes and I think it should of been alot closer like 23 - 20. Just my opinoin.

Maroon&White
September 20th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Sure you were watching the same game?

scotte303
September 20th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Yep!

Maroon&White
September 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Doesn't appear that way if you think it should have been a lot closer. What were these "alot of mistakes" that would have made it such a close game?

Minuteman87
September 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
however we made alot of mistakes and I think it should of been alot closer like 23 - 20

UMass made lots of mistakes too. A TO in the red zone. Another fumble at our own 40. Two passes dropped in the end zone that ended up being FGs instead of TDs. By your logic, the score should have been 45-27.

EmeryZach
September 20th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Oh, rub it in. How many slices of Antonio's did you consume?

Zero. But I did head over to Judies for dinner.

EmeryZach
September 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
URI just needs to get a better O-Line. Etienne had no time to do anything. I thought he should have taken off more than he did. UMass has had a history of not being able to handle a QB who takes off and runs.

Ram Ball
September 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM

With 11 minutes to go in the game, URI fumbled on 4th down from inside the UMass 5 yard line. They were down 24-10 at that point, so a TD would have made it a 1 possession game. Nobody is saying the entire game was a nail biter, but are you really gonna try to tell that you weren't at the edge of your seat during that drive by URI?

Cobble & Scotte - Despite the final score, I wasn't necessarily displeased with our effort on either side of the ball. The D showed some signs of promise, and the O line seemed to be giving CPE a lot of time to get rid of the ball. Can't take anything away from UMass, they are very tough and will be a force to be reckoned with in the league again. I'm just sayin....umassfan makes it seems like we should have walked out of their with our heads down. For where we're at in building a program under Trainer, I think we're making progress in certain areas.

Good luck to Mass the rest of the way

Ram Ball
September 21st, 2009, 07:28 PM
The gap between Zach's observation about our O-line and the fact that I was actually pleased with our pass protection - relative to previous years - says it all...

KAUMASS
September 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM
I watched the game on TV...The one thing I was impressed with URI was that URI's kids played hard the whole game. UMass controlled the tempo most of the game regardless of what the score was. The score could have been closer at times and it also could have been a blow-out. Some of the turnovers on both sides evened out the score, and I think the score was pretty reflective of the game. URI was scrappy all the way, Etienne is a good QB and had some good balls dropped. With that being said, I think URI will be competitive and at this point in the season are = to or better than UMaine or Northeastern. URI may make some noise against 'Nova, W&M, and UNH. I think they lose those 3 games plus the UConn game and certainly will give Brown, Towson, Maine and Northeastern all they can handle. I see URI at 4-7 to 7-4 on the year, if they play the way the did against UMass. To be 7-4, the would have to beat UNH, W&M or 'Nova. Ya never know.. Good luck to URI, I will be rooting for you the rest of the way.

Jackman
September 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
Cobble & Scotte - Despite the final score, I wasn't necessarily displeased with our effort on either side of the ball. The D showed some signs of promise, and the O line seemed to be giving CPE a lot of time to get rid of the ball.

Really? I honestly thought poor offensive line protection was the biggest reason URI lost the game. When CPE got time he was effective, but for the most part he was running for his life.

Mind you, I do think this is a better URI team than in recent years.

umassfan
September 22nd, 2009, 02:33 PM
With 11 minutes to go in the game, URI fumbled on 4th down from inside the UMass 5 yard line. They were down 24-10 at that point, so a TD would have made it a 1 possession game. Nobody is saying the entire game was a nail biter, but are you really gonna try to tell that you weren't at the edge of your seat during that drive by URI?

Cobble & Scotte - Despite the final score, I wasn't necessarily displeased with our effort on either side of the ball. The D showed some signs of promise, and the O line seemed to be giving CPE a lot of time to get rid of the ball. Can't take anything away from UMass, they are very tough and will be a force to be reckoned with in the league again. I'm just sayin....umassfan makes it seems like we should have walked out of their with our heads down. For where we're at in building a program under Trainer, I think we're making progress in certain areas.

Good luck to Mass the rest of the way

No cant say I was on the edge of my seat during that point in the game. UMass was in control the whole game. Not once was I saying "omg we may lose this game".

Sorry to say!

bkrownd
September 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
URI's helmets and uni's..............ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I always liked their bright white-babyblue getups.

Jackman
September 22nd, 2009, 07:41 PM
They need a third color.

danefan
September 22nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
They need a third color.

a darker blue.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
a darker blue.

Wouldn't that make them Maine?

minuteman65
September 22nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
a darker blue.

Which they use on their basketball unis. There's no contrast to their football ones, and they look horrid. A simple dark blue outline would indeed make them look a lot better.

Jackman
September 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Wouldn't that make them Maine?

No, like minuteman65 said above, just use the darker third color to separate the white and blue on their jerseys, and maybe outline the horns on their helmets. UMass outlines its numbers in black, and that's not a UMass color, but it helps create even sharper contrast.

Compare below. The front of Rhode Island's uniforms almost look like what you'd get if the dye from the pants rubbed off on them in the wash.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m172/weirisujin/umass/umassuri1.jpg

Whereas in basketball, the outlining makes Rhode Island's uniforms much easier to read while UMass is crushing their dreams, as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHGBZpALM7g

Cobblestone
September 23rd, 2009, 06:24 AM
FYI. We wear that shade of blue because it is called Keaney blue which was invented by a former URI prof. and basketball coach named Frank Keaney.

He played professional baseball and coached high school sports before Rhode Island hired him in 1920 as athletic director, coach and chemistry instructor. He worked hard, coaching several sports at the small state college and using his chemistry laboratory to concoct liniment and athlete's foot preparations. He even produced a light-blue dye, known as "Keaney blue," which replaced the school's official color, royal blue, on team uniforms.

source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1094362/1/index.htm

Now can we please get off the color thing?

Maroon&White
September 23rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
I like URI's colors and don't see why everyone is so against them.

bkrownd
September 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
I like URI's colors and don't see why everyone is so against them.

Everything has to be all fancy Bling-Bling these days for some reason.