PAULSON STADIUM
Statesboro, Georgia

KICKOFF 7 p.m. ET

Weather
Temperature: 84°F
Heat Index: 93°
Rain Chance: 40%
Possible Thunderstorms

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/Icemonk_2008/western.jpghttp://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/13124435.jpghttps://admin.xosn.com//pics11/160/YJ/YJGYANNBEILHDLB.20090901211207.jpg

SERIES RECORD:
Georgia Southern leads 17-2

LAST GAME RECAP:
GSU 38-31 OT, 10-25-2008

Western Carolina
COACH: Dennis Wagner
OVERALL RECORD:
47-48-1 (10th year)
RECORD AT WCU:
3-11 (2nd year)

Georgia Southern
COACH: Chris Hatcher
OVERALL RECORD:
90-22 (10th season)
RECORD AT GSU:
14-10 (3rd season)

Impact Players

Western Carolina

Quarter Back- Zack Jaynes: Has completed 60 percent of his passes this year for 352 yards and two TDs.

Wide Receiver- Marquel Pittman: The top receiver with 11 receptions totaling 133 yards and the two scores from last week.

Defensive Back- Chris Collins: Tallied eight total stops including a game-high three tackles for loss and a sack against Gardner-Webb.

Georgia Southern

Quarter Back- Lee Chapple: The offense currently ranks 24th nationally averaging 245.5 yards through the air.

Linebacker- Dion DuBose: Shares the SoCon lead and enters the game tied for eighth nationally averaging 12 tackles per game.

Wide Receiver- Jamere Valentine: 124 yds and 2 touchdowns on the season.

What to Look For

Dennis Wagner is trying to build up Western Carolina, a team that once competed for a national championship, but has had few winning seasons in recent years. The Catamounts are off to a rocky start, getting beaten 45-0 by Vanderbilt and then 27-20 at home to Gardner-Webb. The Cats will be itching for a victory at Paulson Stadium, a feat never accomplished by any Western Carolina team. Western almost beat Georgia Southern last year, being up by 30 with 12 minutes left. However, GSU came roaring back to take the win in overtime. After coming so close to beating the Eagles, the Catamounts surely want this game more than most of their other games.

Georgia Southern, meanwhile, is trying to keep their season from getting derailed. Eagle fans are hoping that Chris Hatcher's 3rd year is the one where GSU gets back to national prominence. Things looked fairly good after the first game, a 3 point win at home to defending NEC champ Albany, but then the Eagles got embarrassed by South Dakota State in Brookings.

Georgia Southern will probably see this as a chance to work up their air raid offense against a defense that has allowed 452 passing yards in 2 games this year.

Western Carolina will also be looking to move the ball through the air, having passed for 351 yards this year while running for only 84.

With both offenses trying to rack up big yards, the defenses will probably be called on to win this one.

This should be a pass fiesta by two teams trying to keep a season on track.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 18th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I think Wagner has been planning to throw everything and the kitchen sink at this team since the beginning of the year. I hope he used up some of his stuff in the would-be comeback against Gardner-Webb.

Hatcher will work on the down field throwing this week and we will be better, but this game still worries me.

paward
September 18th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Good Luck, from Spider Nation. I am in Statesboro, I may check you all out tomorrow night. Does WC travel well? I know you guys are always full just trying to gage parking scenario.

SouthernMan
September 18th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Western does not travel at home well...

WCU LawCat
September 19th, 2009, 06:58 AM
WCU travels decent but not to Statesboro. Not a nice place to watch a game for visiting fans and it is not a fun ride down or back.