PDA

View Full Version : 2002 WKU vs. 2005 UNI

TopsInDaVille
December 12th, 2005, 06:57 PM
First of all, let me say congrats to the Panthers. There are a couple of fellow Gateway teams I'd have a hard time rooting for in the postseason (see Western Illinois and Southern Illinois), but you guys are class acts all around. Good luck in the 'Nooga, and enjoy the heck out of yourselves. My trip there in 2002 was one of my favorite ones ever.

This could be a stretch, but I couldn't notice the similarities in our postseason runs from 02 and 05. In 02, WKU was in a win-or-else mode after three early losses. In 02, WKU turned its season around with a win in Cedar Falls. In 05, UNI turned its season around with a win in Bowling Green (OK, maybe it was the week before against Youngstown, but that kills the theory a bit!) We, too, won our first-round game at home. We, too, won our quarter and semi games on the road (both by three points, too.) We, too, were fairly big underdogs heading to the Nooga. Here's hoping you all finish the d*!& thing right!

Finally, I mean no disrespect at all when I say this, but it hurts a bit to think about what might have happened if WKU had pulled out that two-OT game in Bowling Green this season. I don't think the Hilltoppers had national-championship capabilities, but who knows?

TheValleyRaider
December 12th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Too lazy to look it up, but didn't WKU also beat 3 seeds for its Title?

If so,that'd be another interesting coincidence, as a UNI victory would be their third. (#1-UNH, #4-Texas St., #2-App State)

Mr. C
December 12th, 2005, 11:11 PM
First of all, let me say congrats to the Panthers. There are a couple of fellow Gateway teams I'd have a hard time rooting for in the postseason (see Western Illinois and Southern Illinois), but you guys are class acts all around. Good luck in the 'Nooga, and enjoy the heck out of yourselves. My trip there in 2002 was one of my favorite ones ever.

This could be a stretch, but I couldn't notice the similarities in our postseason runs from 02 and 05. In 02, WKU was in a win-or-else mode after three early losses. In 02, WKU turned its season around with a win in Cedar Falls. In 05, UNI turned its season around with a win in Bowling Green (OK, maybe it was the week before against Youngstown, but that kills the theory a bit!) We, too, won our first-round game at home. We, too, won our quarter and semi games on the road (both by three points, too.) We, too, were fairly big underdogs heading to the Nooga. Here's hoping you all finish the d*!& thing right!

Finally, I mean no disrespect at all when I say this, but it hurts a bit to think about what might have happened if WKU had pulled out that two-OT game in Bowling Green this season. I don't think the Hilltoppers had national-championship capabilities, but who knows?
WKU seemed to peak too soon and was also really hurt by injuries, particularly the one to Lerron Moore. You just didn't have the depth behind Moore that you needed and no other area of the team took up the challenge to pick up for his absence. Also, Justin Haddix made too many mistakes in his junior and senior years to lead the Hilltoppers to another title. He seemed to regress each year, instead of get better after his 2002 title season. Maybe he was just surrounded by better players in 2002 and they carried him along.

As far as who is better between 2002 WKU, or 2005 UNI, I'll weigh in on that after seeing the Panthers on Friday. Another team I'd add to that best Gateway team of the 2000s is the 2002-2003 Western Illinois club, the best team of this decade not to make it to Chattanooga.

Chi Panther
December 12th, 2005, 11:24 PM
WKU seemed to peak too soon and was also really hurt by injuries, particularly the one to Lerron Moore. You just didn't have the depth behind Moore that you needed and no other area of the team took up the challenge to pick up for his absence. Also, Justin Haddix made too many mistakes in his junior and senior years to lead the Hilltoppers to another title. He seemed to regress each year, instead of get better after his 2002 title season. Maybe he was just surrounded by better players in 2002 and they carried him along.

As far as who is better between 2002 WKU, or 2005 UNI, I'll weigh in on that after seeing the Panthers on Friday. Another team I'd add to that best Gateway team of the 2000s is the 2002-2003 Western Illinois club, the best team of this decade not to make it to Chattanooga.

Becareful Mr. C......

I have brought that up.....and people don't like that.....That was the team that should have played the UD Hens.......

TopsInDaVille
December 13th, 2005, 11:54 AM

I agree with you on Moore. We have decent backs behind him, but they're not as good as he is. Moore will be back next season, so we'll see what happens.

One correction, though, Haddix wasn't our quarterback in 2002. Jason Michael, a transfer from Army, was our QB and was very solid. Haddix didn't come to WKU until 2003 and will be a fourth-year starter in 2006. I agree that he hasn't shown much improvement since his freshman season. I hope he dedicates himself this off-season and becomes a senior leader next fall.