PDA

View Full Version : Thankful for Playoffs vs. BCS

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Despite the obvious answer that a playoff is better than a system like the big boys in I-A have with the BCS, UNI and ASU fans should be thrilled we (in I-AA) don't have a BCS type system to detemine the NC game. If we did, with Appalachian ranked 22 in week 4 and UNI ranked 11, both teams would have been pretty much shut out of the NC game like Auburn last year in I-A. I certainly know I'm thankful, what do y'all think?

jwfgeol
December 12th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Very thankful....although if the GPI were used like the BCS system App State would be #1 :smiley_wi

DinoDex200
December 12th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by goasu984Life
After watching both I-AA semis and the D-II final, you can't tell me that this is MUCH better than the Bowl Crap Series. All six teams that played Friday or Saturday laid it all out of the field and it was a great weekend of football.

I posted in another thread in reply go goasu's post above. It pretty much sums up why playoffs are sooooo much better:

Originally Posted by DinoDex200
I agree wholeheartedly. I think Bill Curry even eluded to it in his in-game comments.

When it comes down to it, there is just nothing more intense than two teams playing with their season on the line. You see that for 4 weeks straight in I-AA, II, and III...you just don't ever really see it in I-A, with the exception of the supposed National Title Game. The way App and Furman were drilling each other on Saturday was a prime example of teams just flat-out playing for their lives.

More often than not, you see one team with everything to lose, playing another team with nothing to lose. Whether a I-A team wins or loses its Bowl Game, they know their season is over after that. In the conference title game, it's usually one really good team, against 1 so-so team, and not 2 teams hoping to play for the National Title. Even when a team is playing in one of the other 3 BCS games, what are they really playing for? The right to be called #2? Lame...and the minor bowls are thus, even lamer. Give me playoffs any day...the powers that be at I-A are missing out on a ratings and revenue bonanza by not considering even a 4 team playoff.

In a nutshell, it's hardly ever do-or-die for both teams on the field in a I-A game...in the playoffs, it always is.

blackfordpu
December 12th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Playoffs are better because the teams themselves decide who advances and who doesn't not some damn computer. :)

turfdoc
December 12th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Now realize I just spent a day trying to cover my A** for Thursday and Friday's absence :bang: . I just got off a phone with a buddy (who cannot make it to the game because he needs more than 6 days notice) who is complaining about the bowl system. Bottom line is he is going to Miami for a week and a half and getting to see his beloved team play.

Meanwhile there are a few people like myself who have family on the way to make the drive bearable but otherwise I would have to fork out over $1,300 to fly :doh: . On top of that great fans cannot go because of the lack of prep time. ie. the cap'n and many others.

Every silver lining has got a touch of grey

Its the price you pay for the right to call yourself a TRUE national champion......IT'S WORTH IT :D

HiHiYikas
December 12th, 2005, 07:16 PM
On top of that great fans cannot go because of the lack of prep time. ie. the cap'n and many others.

Every silver lining has got a touch of grey

Its the price you pay for the right to call yourself a TRUE national champion......IT'S WORTH IT :D

Question: would an extra week between the semi's and the NC be a good idea?

Kill'em
December 12th, 2005, 07:28 PM
I-A and the BcS are jokes! I wouldn't give up playing for a National Championship for the Poinsettia Bowl, ever!

Even though I am an idiot and lack vision :rolleyes:

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2005, 08:00 PM
I-A and the BcS are jokes! I wouldn't give up playing for a National Championship for the Poinsettia Bowl, ever!

Even though I am an idiot and lack vision :rolleyes:
You're not an idiot, well at least in this aspect, as I don't know you. But, I wouldn't ever give up a chance to play for a National Championship in Chatanooga to play a bowl game in Boise, Idaho! Real men play 15 games in a season (I-AA), not 12--with a month long break (I-A).

ASU Kep
December 13th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Question: would an extra week between the semi's and the NC be a good idea?

Yes...especially this year, as it'd give Richie more time to get back. :D

As for the main topic here, the playoffs are of course obviously superior to the BCS. Although according to the GPI and our playoff seeding, App would be in a BCS-stlye NC, UNI would still be waiting on their shot (and I'm glad they got it). JMU's story last year? Unheard of in the corporate-controlled I-A world.

Even though the BCS got pretty lucky this year in the absense of another Auburn from last year, who knows what would happen if they put in a playoff? While most people agree that USC and Texas deserve their spot in the Rose Bowl, would those same two teams make it through an 8-team tournament into the Championship? Smart $$$ says at least one of them would not. IMHO, a playoff system reveals a lot about teams- namely, HEART. It's do or die, week after week, against better and better teams. You gotta bring it. Why the I-A doesn't at least go to the +1 system, I have no idea. You can still have your wothless bowl games on the side to bring in the almighty dollar.

Frankly though, I hope they never wise up. The I-AA playoffs are the highest NCAA national championship and provide the most passionate and dramatic moments in collegiate football. The playoffs are what makes I-AA special. I-A can keep their Pepto Bismol Bowls. They can stomp us during the regular season (well, most of the time...Stanford). They can hog all the media coverage. But when it comes down to it, I think you'll find more heart amongst the players of I-AA programs, who don't get all the hype and coverage, most of whom will never play on Sunday, but who give it their all to play again next Saturday. You can't help but love that s--t. :hurray:

...and go App!