PDA

View Full Version : Cap'n Cat's Problem With Payton, Other I-AA Awards...

Cap'n Cat
December 12th, 2005, 04:33 PM
...like Coach Of The Year, etc.

Why not award them AFTER the complete sesaon, that is, when the NC is played?

Heck, Cap'n Cat's ordinarily not a homer on such things, but, as an example, I've witnessed some great motivation and leadership from Mark Farley at UNI in the last several weeks, taking a young, gritty team on the road to some tough places and coming away with solid W's, let alone doing the things they had to do to take a win v SIU and EWU. Remember that those guys went from worst to first and are now in the title game.

Two and two in the conference at one point and, now, they've won seven in a row, through an improbable bracket that NO ONE expected them to make it. EWU? How many of us said UNI got the worst draw for that? UNH? The #1 team falls at home. TXSU? Done. At their place.

:rolleyes:

Sambursky, Meyer, Santos, Nealy - all Peyton candidates at one point - and all out of the playoffs due to UNI and their total team efforts.

Farley for Coach Of The Year.

Just a thought, guys.

JoltinJoe
December 12th, 2005, 04:35 PM
I guess the reason is that some worthy players don't make the post-season. So counting post-season performances can prejudice those non-participants.

(We think of these things at Fordham).

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2005, 04:37 PM
That'd also allow us to take into account the Bayou Classic and SWAC title game. Though, the SWAC did announce their all-SWAC teams before the last regular season game. Would make it fair to cover all the bases if entire regular season of I-AA taken into account, but then it overlaps with playoffs somewhat...

No possible way to be fair to everyone...

Cap'n Cat
December 12th, 2005, 04:40 PM
I guess the reason is that some worthy players don't make the post-season. So counting post-season performances can prejudice those non-participants.

(We think of these things at Fordham).

I can absolutely see your point, Joe, but I'm just suggesting we take into account the whole season, not just 65% of it. If the players were so good, too, they would led their teams to the playoffs, I'm guessin', somewhat. Only ONE player from a losing team ever won the Heismanheimer. Virtually all the rest were on championship or, at least, top tier bowl teams.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that hype guides most of the selections. Stats, too. They're for chumps. Wins count. Think Sambursky's or Santos' or Meyer's or Nealy's stats are helpin' them now?

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Heck, Cap'n Cat's ordinarily not a homer on such things, but, as an example, I've witnessed some great motivation and leadership from Mark Farley at UNI in the last several weeks, taking a young, gritty team on the road to some tough places and coming away with solid W's, let alone doing the things they had to do to take a win v SIU and EWU. Remember that those guys went from worst to first and are now in the title game.

Two and two in the conference at one point and, now, they've won seven in a row, through an improbable bracket that NO ONE expected them to make it. EWU? How many of us said UNI got the worst draw for that? UNH? The #1 team falls at home. TXSU? Done. At their place.

Sambursky, Meyer, Santos, Nealy - all Peyton candidates at one point - and all out of the playoffs due to UNI and their total team efforts.

Just a thought, guys.

Pretty sure we knocked Sambursky out. :smiley_wi

So Cap'n...all these previous years when UNI (or App) didn't make it to the NC you had just the same grievances, right?

As for me, I don't care. Should we win Friday, the Payton, etc. will be the last thing on my mind. Good luck to the finalists and all, but I'd rather be in Chatty then wondering whether Richie could win the Payton.

Cap'n Cat
December 12th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Pretty sure we knocked Sambursky out. :smiley_wi

So Cap'n...all these previous years when UNI (or App) didn't make it to the NC you had just the same grievances, right?

As for me, I don't care. Should we win Friday, the Payton, etc. will be the last thing on my mind. Good luck to the finalists and all, but I'd rather be in Chatty then wondering whether Richie could win the Payton.

Yes, Kep, I have always wondered about that.

Again, just a suggestion. Not trying to start a problem.

December 12th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I-AA.org announces its annual honors after the complete season.

All-Star Team
Offensive Player of the Year
Defensive Player of the Year
Coach of the Year
Lineman of the Year
Freshman of the Year
Playoff MVP
etc.

eaglesrthe1
December 12th, 2005, 04:52 PM
IMO, it should just stick to the regular season. It puts everyone on the same field.

Can't call me biased, cause AP would have won about three Payton awards if the playoffs were included. He always did his best work when it counted the most.

Cap'n Cat
December 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I-AA.org announces its annual honors after the complete season.

All-Star Team
Offensive Player of the Year
Defensive Player of the Year
Coach of the Year
Lineman of the Year
Freshman of the Year
Playoff MVP
etc.

Thank goodness. Some sanity.....

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I don't know. I think if they waited until after the NC game, some people would feel obligated to vote for the stand-out guy on the NC team. Plus, since the NC is pretty much the only I-AA football left (isn't the SWAC still playing?) all the voters would have a final impression of only those two teams. There are great players on teams that don't make the playoffs or advance to the NC.

Bronco
December 12th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Montana had a problem with the UNI coach in I think 2001. Same coach?

The UNI coach sent the game tapes by pony express and caused some bad feelings for the UNI staff. The coach was rather belligerent over the whole thing.

The game ended with a UNI receiver taking a full swing and hitting a DB named Decoitte in the nuts...the clip made sports center.
I had a Buddy hold up a sign in the NC stands that said (Decoitte...your Nuts?) and I saw it...made my day.

Here is a page of history on UNI.

http://www.library.uni.edu/speccoll/football.html

blackfordpu
December 12th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Just a thought, guys.

I have to agree with you on this one Cappy. The entire season needs to be finished before awards are given out.

Though I do see why they are given out before, the # of teams decreases so it is easier for people to stand out.

unicat87
December 13th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Coach Farley is a genius! Too bad they vote for the awards earlier than the NC. -UNIcat87

Just a thought, guys.

December 13th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Coach Farley is a genius! Too bad they vote for the awards earlier than the NC. -UNIcat87Only some vote before the NC. As AGS has proved, the regular pollsters are not very correct.

umassfan
December 13th, 2005, 01:34 AM

Just a thought, guys.
:boring: :boring: :boring: You were so much more interesting to listen to before UNI started winning... Are you going to return back when UNI gets smacked vs App St?

December 13th, 2005, 01:38 AM
:boring: :boring: :boring: You were so much more interesting to listen to before UNI started winning... Are you going to return back when UNI gets smacked vs App St?Funny you would say that to Cap'n Cat when he has been a regular and you have been nonexistant for a long while. Take a look because he has passed 7K posts ... congrats on passing 4K!

umassfan
December 13th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Funny you would say that to Cap'n Cat when he has been a regular and you have been nonexistant for a long while. Take a look because he has passed 7K posts ... congrats on passing 4K!
Non existant for a long while? Is two weeks really a long while?

Yes I have 4000 posts, but I dont post just for the sake of posting.

colgate13
December 13th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Non existant for a long while? Is two weeks really a long while?

Yes I have 4000 posts, but I dont post just for the sake of posting.

That's your opinion!:p Can we take a poll on the matter???

UNH_ORACLE
December 13th, 2005, 08:12 AM
The awards are season awards, I think they should have post-season awards and you probably would think that coach of the year would be held out until atleast after the playoffs, but as far as individual awards in every pro sport there are MVP of the season and then MVP of the playoffs, they should definitly look into making a MVP award based on a playoff performances maybe the Moss Trophy or the Rice Cup, haha...

blueballs
December 13th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Cap'n is exactly right. The best players play on the best teams, the best coaches coach the best teams. Give the awards out after all the games are played.

Farley deserves all the credit he's going to get and then some, win or lose Friday.

However, let's not forget the big picture regarding Jerry Moore.

Two years ago he completely changed everything that had made him successful throughout his long career and in 2004 the results were not pretty. He took some big time heat both within the circle of Hillbillies and nationally.

Now he has a well balanced, dominant team on the brink of a title. It took some big time guts to make a call that changes the direction of an already successful program but the results make it clear that he made the right call, despite his naysayers, and that is great coaching.

That hurt me to say that but it is true...

PS: I still hate Appalachian State but props to Moore.

TypicalTribe
December 13th, 2005, 09:45 AM
The awards are season awards, I think they should have post-season awards and you probably would think that coach of the year would be held out until atleast after the playoffs, but as far as individual awards in every pro sport there are MVP of the season and then MVP of the playoffs, they should definitly look into making a MVP award based on a playoff performances maybe the Moss Trophy or the Rice Cup, haha...

Totally agree, otherwise we'd be awarding coach of the year to the NC winner every single season. The playoffs are too much of a crapshoot on which to base season awards.

I like the idea of a playoff MVP. That would be a great reward for a deserving player.

Proud Griz Man
December 13th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Just a thought, guys.

I agree. Makes too much sense Cap'n. :bow:

They are trying so hard to make it a 'big event' in Chatty. :confused:

griz37
December 13th, 2005, 06:13 PM
If you look at the Heisman they don't take into account what happens in the Bowl Games. What happens if Vince Young has an amazing game & Reggie Bush has 27 yards & 3 fumbles? Does that mean Young had the better overall year? I have no problem w/the voting taking place before the playoffs otherwise the best player & the coach of the NC team would probably win both awards. I can see where you are coming from though Cap'n.

igo4uni
December 13th, 2005, 07:59 PM

Wow, a UNH fan. :D

Have you heard from UNHWildcats???????

He's got a few lumps to take in the smack board. xlolx xlolx

kardplayer
December 13th, 2005, 08:35 PM
To reiterate what someone above me said, the gap here is that there are no postseason awards. And I do think that if the postseason was included, all the winners would come from the finalists, if not the champs exclusively.

I can't think of any other league that includes post season work in their voting for MVP, Coach of the Year, etc. Some may not announce until the season is over, but the voting takes place before (e.g. MLB).

My issue with the bias of including postseason is a basic paraphrase of what I've heard guys like Roy Williams say - its not like the coaches are any smarter just because they won the final game of the year. The awards IMHO should be for the overall process measured out over an equal number of games.

Ralph - Sports Network manages the Payton and other awards, maybe I-AA.org can sponsor the post season versions???