PDA

View Full Version : Sioux nickname gets a present!!!

darell1976
September 17th, 2009, 08:20 AM
The Spirit Lake Sioux nation who voted to approve the Sioux nickname in last April's election....SIGNED THE RESOLUTION!!!! This is one half the requirement set by the NCAA. The tribal council on the Standing Rock has yet to allow its tribe to vote. So the Sioux are halfway there however a deadline of Feb 2010 has been moved up to Oct. 1, 2009 by the State Board of Higher Education, which may be another roadblock in the life of the Fighting Sioux nickname. A Sept. 30th 2009 tribal council election is going to take place on the Standing Rock Sioux tribe so the board may (and God willing) move the deadline back. Thank you Spirit Lake!!!!

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/133674/

MplsBison
September 17th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Great news for the Sioux nickname supporters.

I still don't see anything about a 30 year contract to allow UND to use the name in there, although that would likely be in the best interest of the tribes to cut a deal. Why not get in on it?

I guess there are a few people in power in the tribes who just hate the nickname.

McNeese75
September 17th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Glad to hear somebody went to bat to save their mascot name instead doing as most have and fold like a cheap tent.

BEAR
September 17th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I wonder if the washington redskins will need a name change? or the braves? or the....the list goes on...xmadx Just like the NCAA to pick on the small schools and not require the larger NCAA schools to change their names. Or the business world not to require their sports teams to change their names..but the Sioux has to...xsmhxxmadx I hope it gets fully approved! xthumbsupx

darell1976
September 17th, 2009, 09:16 AM
The thing that gets me is that Central Michigan i heard needed 1 Chippewa tribe not all the Chippewa tribes in the state of Michigan, why does UND need 2 Sioux tribes instead of just 1?? And MplsBison according to the NCAA there does NOT need to be any kind of year agreement to this 30 is what is recommended by the ND State Board of Higher Education which IMO makes sense so we don't have to do this every year. I hope they get some kind of timeline in there. Now we just have to wait until Sept. 30th when the Standing Rock votes on a new tribal council and if the SBoHE changes their deadline....this is going to be a big 2 weeks for a name that has been around for over 70 years.

darell1976
September 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I wonder if the washington redskins will need a name change? or the braves? or the....the list goes on...xmadx Just like the NCAA to pick on the small schools and not require the larger NCAA schools to change their names. Or the business world not to require their sports teams to change their names..but the Sioux has to...xsmhxxmadx I hope it gets fully approved! xthumbsupx

I don't see the Redskins, Braves, Indians, or Chiefs changing their name because think of the $$$$ from marketing, that might hurt UND if their name changes.

Seven Would Be Nice
September 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I don't see the Redskins, Braves, Indians, or Chiefs changing their name because think of the $$$$ from marketing, that might hurt UND if their name changes.

Maybe because those aren't tied to a specific tribe?

darell1976
September 17th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Maybe because those aren't tied to a specific tribe?

Neither was Marquette, William & Mary, Indiana (PA). If there is some sort of Pro sports list like the NCAA their names could be in jepordy.

GeauxColonels
September 17th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Good luck to the ND faithful. I love the nickname and the Sioux logo you guys use. In my opinion, one of the BEST logos in all of sports.

onbison09
September 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Standing Rock nickname supporters have so far been unable to convince their Tribal Council to authorize a referendum on the nickname and, with two weeks to go before the election Sept. 30, it’s unlikely they’ll get the referendum.
There's a high school named "The Whitefaces" (swear to God) down here in Texas so I don't think Fighting Sioux is that offensive. But I'm not a member of the Sioux tribe so I can't comment on whether it's offensive.

darell1976
September 17th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Standing Rock nickname supporters have so far been unable to convince their Tribal Council to authorize a referendum on the nickname and, with two weeks to go before the election Sept. 30, it’s unlikely they’ll get the referendum.
There's a high school named "The Whitefaces" (swear to God) down here in Texas so I don't think Fighting Sioux is that offensive. But I'm not a member of the Sioux tribe so I can't comment on whether it's offensive.

The only way the Sioux have to keep their nickname fight going is if the board moves the date...they are meeting in Grand Forks today although some say the name is NOT on the agenda but stranger things has happened.

Big Cats
September 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM

Having grown up on a farm, I may have an angle on this that you haven't thought of. My father raised purebred Angus cattle. A "Whiteface" refers to a color variation in cattle in which the body is black and only the head is white. Since Texas is, or was, cattle ranching country, I would guess this is the correct origin of that nickname.

bisonguy
September 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM
The thing that gets me is that Central Michigan i heard needed 1 Chippewa tribe not all the Chippewa tribes in the state of Michigan, why does UND need 2 Sioux tribes instead of just 1?? And MplsBison according to the NCAA there does NOT need to be any kind of year agreement to this 30 is what is recommended by the ND State Board of Higher Education which IMO makes sense so we don't have to do this every year. I hope they get some kind of timeline in there. Now we just have to wait until Sept. 30th when the Standing Rock votes on a new tribal council and if the SBoHE changes their deadline....this is going to be a big 2 weeks for a name that has been around for over 70 years.

Probably has something to do with the fact that Mount Pleasant is basically surrounded by one reservation. xnodx

darell1976
September 17th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Probably has something to do with the fact that Mount Pleasant is basically surrounded by one reservation. xnodx

Okay makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.xthumbsupx

ValleyChamp
September 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Well thats good. Maybe in ten more years this thing will be settled so we don't have to hear about it anymore.

THE HERD
September 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM
The Spirit Lake Sioux nation who voted to approve the Sioux nickname in last April's election....SIGNED THE RESOLUTION!!!! This is one half the requirement set by the NCAA. The tribal council on the Standing Rock has yet to allow its tribe to vote. So the Sioux are halfway there however a deadline of Feb 2010 has been moved up to Oct. 1, 2009 by the State Board of Higher Education, which may be another roadblock in the life of the Fighting Sioux nickname. A Sept. 30th 2009 tribal council election is going to take place on the Standing Rock Sioux tribe so the board may (and God willing) move the deadline back. Thank you Spirit Lake!!!!

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/133674/

Standing Rock tribe has said they have no intention of even addressing the topic by Oct. 1, let alone do a vote, so it doesn't sound good. I am a Bison fan, but do believe that the fighting sioux nickname is not derogatory at all, actually I think it complimentary. Its. just another case of all this politically correct bull*****.

darell1976
September 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Standing Rock tribe has said they have no intention of even addressing the topic by Oct. 1, let alone do a vote, so it doesn't sound good. I am a Bison fan, but do believe that the fighting sioux nickname is not derogatory at all, actually I think it complimentary. Its. just another case of all this politically correct bull*****.

The only thing that complicates this thing more is that in the 1960's there was a pipe ceremony done by the Standing Rock that gave their blessing to UND to keep the name forever. It has been said this can never be undone but no one was to abide by this...and natives always believe in tradition of the old ways well here is one where they (tribal council) don't want to believe. Maybe the new council will change this whole situation. Its a mess that has 2 weeks to straighten itself out.

MplsBison
September 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I have to believe that the board will give it some more time.

I know they wanted to race to Oct 1st so that they could hurry up and get into the Summit. But the Summit isn't going anywhere. UND will be in the Summit regardless of what happens.

RabidRabbit
September 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM

PROFESSIONAL teams are NOT SUBJECT to NCAA sanctions. Moot issue. The battle for the Sioux is exactly the same for the FSU Seminoles, CMU Chippawas, Illinois Fighing Illini, San Diego St Aztecs and Hawaii Rainbow Warriors. Why are the others acceptable, but Sioux aren't?

Likewise, why is Tribe or the generic "Indians" unacceptable? Seriously, there is no more basis for this than to go after the Irish of Notre Dame, or Orangemen of Syracuse (as a descendent of Northern Irish Protestants, I find this offensive )xbawlingx

MplsBison
September 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM
PROFESSIONAL teams are NOT SUBJECT to NCAA sanctions. Moot issue. The battle for the Sioux is exactly the same for the FSU Seminoles, CMU Chippawas, Illinois Fighing Illini, San Diego St Aztecs and Hawaii Rainbow Warriors. Why are the others acceptable, but Sioux aren't?

Likewise, why is Tribe or the generic "Indians" unacceptable? Seriously, there is no more basis for this than to go after the Irish of Notre Dame, or Orangemen of Syracuse (as a descendent of Northern Irish Protestants, I find this offensive )xbawlingx

They are still allowed to be sued, though.

And lawsuit mitigation is the reason that the NCAA went forth with the hostile and abusive list. It was not a social agenda.

onbison09
September 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Having grown up on a farm, I may have an angle on this that you haven't thought of. My father raised purebred Angus cattle. A "Whiteface" refers to a color variation in cattle in which the body is black and only the head is white. Since Texas is, or was, cattle ranching country, I would guess this is the correct origin of that nickname.

OK thanks. It's probably the cattle. I had no idea what that was but there is a history of those kinds of names here. There is a team named the Frisco Raccoons. The water tower used to say "Welcome to Frisco, home of the Coons" Sorry for the thread jack.

TwinTownBisonFan
September 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM

unless something drastic has changed in the years since I was living up there, Standing Rock isn't going to bring this to a vote - I suspect their thinking goes along the lines of "we're this close to getting rid of it, just run out the clock"

not a bad strategy.

Thundar
September 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Well thats good. Maybe in ten more years this thing will be settled so we don't have to hear about it anymore.

oh god not ten I'm going to be really upset if they change from the Oct 1 deadline so we get to hear this crap morexsmhx

Big Al
September 17th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Can't speak to all of the teams you mention, but the FSU Seminoles and the Utah Utes both received permission from their local tribes. IIRC, Utah had to get permission from more than one tribe, as well.

I'll go on the record as saying using Native American names as team mascots isn't automatically racist or demeaning but rather it's in how you promote it. That's where I think the NCAA really overstepped their bounds (overall, I think they overstepped -- I may agree with the underlying reasoning but don't think theirs is a proper forum).

For the life of me, I don't understand how the Atlanta Braves & FSU Seminoles justify the tomahawk chop. Likewise, the Cleveland Indians are fine but Chief Wahoo is pretty bad. As to the Redskins, well... let's just say I don't think the New York Darkies or San Francisco Coolies would make it in today's environment, so I don't see why the Redskins continues to stay. That said, I think the Redskins have a nice logo.

darell1976
September 17th, 2009, 01:26 PM
unless something drastic has changed in the years since I was living up there, Standing Rock isn't going to bring this to a vote - I suspect their thinking goes along the lines of "we're this close to getting rid of it, just run out the clock"

not a bad strategy.
You are right the Standing Rock Tribe will not vote on this name however the NEW tribal council WILL!!!! If the State Board of Higher Education didn't interfere with this since a deadline was outlined in the lawsuit they would have time to let the whole tribe vote. The people of Standing Rock want the name to stay but its not a democratic thing on tribes to let their people speak. This is far from over.

darell1976
September 17th, 2009, 01:27 PM
oh god not ten I'm going to be really upset if they change from the Oct 1 deadline so we get to hear this crap morexsmhx

This is why the State is asking for a 30 year clause in the agreement. Everyone doesn't want to go through this every 1, 5, 10 or ever.

TwinTownBisonFan
September 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM
You are right the Standing Rock Tribe will not vote on this name however the NEW tribal council WILL!!!! If the State Board of Higher Education didn't interfere with this since a deadline was outlined in the lawsuit they would have time to let the whole tribe vote. The people of Standing Rock want the name to stay but its not a democratic thing on tribes to let their people speak. This is far from over.

I'd be shocked if that happened - my experience with Standing Rock is they want the name gone and will do what it takes to make that happen

dmksioux
September 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I'd be shocked if that happened - my experience with Standing Rock is they want the name gone and will do what it takes to make that happen

You may be right, however there are tribal members on the Standing Rock Reservation who are at least pushing for a vote so that the majority can be heard. Will it happen, who knows but they are asking the ND SBoHE to move back the October 1st deadline by three months...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/133793/

Screamin_Eagle174
September 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I wish EWU were still the Savages. Much cooler than Eagles.

EmeryZach
September 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Changing your name won't be so bad. You'll get used to it. UMass got rid of Redmen and it worked out fine for us.

TwinTownBisonFan
September 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM
You may be right, however there are tribal members on the Standing Rock Reservation who are at least pushing for a vote so that the majority can be heard. Will it happen, who knows but they are asking the ND SBoHE to move back the October 1st deadline by three months...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/133793/

They can push all they want for a "referendum" on it... but I don't see the leadership letting that happen...

If I were advising them on strategy I would be telling them to down the ball and let the name go away - nobody is getting voted off their council over this... so it's low risk - more outside interests than inside interests care - as an elected official - they have all the cover they need

TwinTownBisonFan
September 17th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Changing your name won't be so bad. You'll get used to it. UMass got rid of Redmen and it worked out fine for us.

Minutemen much better...

I think UND Roughriders is a brilliant name...

dmksioux
September 17th, 2009, 03:46 PM
They can push all they want for a "referendum" on it... but I don't see the leadership letting that happen...

If I were advising them on strategy I would be telling them to down the ball and let the name go away - nobody is getting voted off their council over this... so it's low risk - more outside interests than inside interests care - as an elected official - they have all the cover they need

You may be wrong about some of this. Current Tribal Council leader, Ron His Horse is Thunder, placed second in voting during the primary a couple of months ago. Charlie Murphy, who beat Ron HHIT, has gone on record as supporting the name and has said he wouldn't be opposed to having a vote take place. Charlie Murphy won the primary by gaining more than twice the amount of votes as Ron...as a matter of fact, Ron was only one vote away from possibly coming in third which means he wouldn't have been on the ballot for the upcoming election.

Personally, I still feel as thought the name is as good as gone, but with what's been happening lately, there may still be a glimmer of hope. Just have to wait and stay tuned...

I too like Rough Riders, however since there is a high school in Grand Forks that already uses that name, I highly doubt the University would consider it. I also wouldn't mind seeing us become the Fighting Norse!

darell1976
September 17th, 2009, 03:47 PM

What leadership are you reffering too? The NEW tribal council which will have more Sioux nickname supporters or the SBoHE who set up this stupid timeline and now will take so much heat if they won't let a tribe have their say on the nickname.

Ron His Horse Is Thunder is getting voted off in favor of Murphy (a Sioux nickname supporter!!)

TwinTownBisonFan
September 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM
You may be wrong about some of this. Current Tribal Council leader, Ron His Horse is Thunder, placed second in voting during the primary a couple of months ago. Charlie Murphy, who beat Ron HHIT, has gone on record as supporting the name and has said he wouldn't be opposed to having a vote take place. Charlie Murphy won the primary by gaining more than twice the amount of votes as Ron...as a matter of fact, Ron was only one vote away from possibly coming in third which means he wouldn't have been on the ballot for the upcoming election.

Personally, I still feel as thought the name is as good as gone, but with what's been happening lately, there may still be a glimmer of hope. Just have to wait and stay tuned...

depends too on who the other primary opponents are - but that doesn't bode well for the chair...

thing is - i'd be surprised if this was the issue driving voters to the polls...

dmksioux
September 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Umm...yea...nothing like being proud of being called a "minute" man...xwhistlexxsmiley_wix

dmksioux
November 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Thought I would give this thread a bump. Just when you thought there couldn't be anymore twists or turns in the Sioux nickname saga, you get this...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/140377/

Now we have the Native American Tribes potentially suing the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education claiming they don't have the right to retire the name...

Interesting developments...stay tuned...

Ronbo
November 10th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Out of spite North Dakota should become the "Fighting 7th Calvary."xlolxxlolxxlolx

dmksioux
November 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Out of spite North Dakota should become the "Fighting 7th Calvary."xlolxxlolxxlolx

To be honest your not the first to suggest the name Calvary :)

There is a thread on Sioux Sports.com that is dedicated to potential new nicknames. Someone has even gone as far as putting together drawings/renderings of what our sports uniforms could look like if we were to change to the Calvary...too lazy to look it up at the moment though...

superman7515
November 10th, 2009, 11:12 AM
http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?showtopic=9644

darell1976
November 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM
The soap opera continues.xlolx

JackJD
November 10th, 2009, 10:20 PM

xrolleyesx = risking being called the spelling police....but:

I think it's a common error to spell the word as many people inaccurately pronounce it but the actual spelling is

cavalry

and it's pronounced like it's spelled.

For Christians, Calvary is the place outside Jerusalem's walls where the crucifixion took place.

Kemo
November 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
To be honest your not the first to suggest the name Calvary :)

There is a thread on Sioux Sports.com that is dedicated to potential new nicknames. Someone has even gone as far as putting together drawings/renderings of what our sports uniforms could look like if we were to change to the Calvary...too lazy to look it up at the moment though...

I think the University of North Dakota Huskarls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huscarls) (Old Norse Spelling) has a nice ring to it. It would be a unique name and would honor the Scandinavian heritage of North Dakota.

Could create a logo similar to one of these huskarl soldiers too.

http://www.chrome.hu/danova/mod/last/prev/unitg/ung02.jpg

Green and Yellow
November 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM
xrolleyesx = risking being called the spelling police....but:

I think it's a common error to spell the word as many people inaccurately pronounce it but the actual spelling is

cavalry

and it's pronounced like it's spelled.

For Christians, Calvary is the place outside Jerusalem's walls where the crucifixion took place.

Thanks for doing that JackJD, it was bugging me too. xthumbsupx

I however think und should honor it's heritage and bring out their traditional nickname:
Go Flickertails! :D:D:D

NDB
November 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM
That's why I like cavalry. UND students, fans, alumni, and staff would continue to be unable to spell out the name of their mascot.

SOUIX? SUOIX? SIUOX?...

NDB
November 11th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I think the University of North Dakota Huskarls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huscarls) (Old Norse Spelling) has a nice ring to it. It would be a unique name and would honor the Scandinavian heritage of North Dakota.

Could create a logo similar to one of these huskarl soldiers too.

I like Berserkers.

(or Norse or Norse Warriors.)

Viking culture is (in the words of Brad Childress) "kick a$$". Its surprising no DI schools (that I know of?) have a team using that theme.

A few million dollars of marketing and renovations and the drunk hockey fans would forget all about their current mascot.

Green and Yellow
November 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I like Berserkers.

Viking culture is (in the words of Brad Childress) "kick a$$". Its surprising no DI schools (that I know of?) have a team using that theme.

A few million dollars of marketing and renovations and the drunk hockey fans would forget all about their current mascot.

xthumbsupx True statement! xthumbsupx
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Green and Yellow
November 11th, 2009, 10:31 AM
That's why I like cavalry. UND students, fans, alumni, and staff would continue to be unable to spell out the name of their mascot.

SOUIX? SUOIX? SIUOX?...

Also a true statement new und cheer:

Lets go Calvary Lets go!

xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Green and Yellow
November 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I like Berserkers.

Personally I still like flickertails.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8KAHrPLwK4s/Sg1gewUfVhI/AAAAAAAAAF8/pfBOnpyNCUo/s400/200px-Flickertail1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://donnypuck.blogspot.com/2009/05/heres-your-university-of-north-dakota.html&usg=__ESXeJISI3eVtegK0eHhp4XH-Yuw=&h=213&w=200&sz=13&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=V2GgLNVmFtc1_M:&tbnh=106&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3DFlickertails%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactiv e%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den-us%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1