PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Back Iona

GaelsFootball
September 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM
http://www.icgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14900&ATCLID=204795409

Whats up guys? Just saw this article and wanted to get some opinions and what you all though of it. You think this is a good spot to make a case for all the supporters of the program or would we just be wasting our time with the same President still around?

What interests me is the diversity issue....not really sure how that works but losing 100 plus male athletes can't be too good.

Look forward to hearing any input or advice anyone has. Thanks

danefan
September 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM
OT, but good to see that Iona players have found their way onto the field this year at other FCS programs - most noteably your QB Smith at Maine.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Whats up guys? Just saw this article and wanted to get some opinions and what you all though of it. You think this is a good spot to make a case for all the supporters of the program or would we just be wasting our time with the same President still around?

FYI - this means absolutely nothing, seriously...if you want to talk about football, this has nothing to do with it.

This is Iona formally announcing that they are getting into the NCAA certification process. This is a process that MUST be done and Title IX (diversity) is one of the issues always brought up.

In fact, here's an article from SHSU on the same subject - note some of the key parts in this release...

http://www.shsu.edu/~pin_www/T@S/2007/athcert107.html

Lehigh Football Nation
September 16th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I tend to agree with TT here, this is a generic self-study that is done routinely at all D-I institutions.

It might be a good time to remind everyone, though, of the things you said - male enrollment at Iona probably plummeted due to the disbanding of football. In theory, it could skew the Title IX ratio so that IC would have to spend more on women's sports.

Cobblestone
September 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM
While I certainly applaud the effort I think as long as you have the same president that the mission might be doomed from the beginning. I'd wait until you get a president who actually has something between his legs that dangles.

Seahawks Fan
September 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM
http://www.icgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14900&ATCLID=204795409

Whats up guys? Just saw this article and wanted to get some opinions and what you all though of it. .......................

Look forward to hearing any input or advice anyone has. Thanks

I doubt there is any interest on the part of the Iona administration to bring back football. But I'm curious, if there was, would you prefer the NEC or the PFL?

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I tend to agree with TT here, this is a generic self-study that is done routinely at all D-I institutions.

It might be a good time to remind everyone, though, of the things you said - male enrollment at Iona probably plummeted due to the disbanding of football. In theory, it could skew the Title IX ratio so that IC would have to spend more on women's sports.

Extraordinarily valid point of all since spending is based on # of men -- or women -- as % of total enrollment.

LawDutch
September 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I don't think the male population at Iona plummeted after the football team disbanded, a few guys may have moved onto different schools, but I would say a good portion of the team stayed at IC to finish up their degrees. I doubt the disbanding of the team had an affect on Title IX that way.

Football comes back to Iona when the economic times are better, and the school has an administration and some boosters that really want a program.

89Hen
September 17th, 2009, 09:19 AM
While I certainly applaud the effort I think as long as you have the same president that the mission might be doomed from the beginning. I'd wait until you get a president who actually has something between his legs that dangles.
Unfortunate truth. Look no further than Boston U if you want to see a group that thought they were really on track to bring football back but were really never close. Many folks here remember the B-TUFF guys. And BU had some decent success in I-AA right before closing shop. :(

Pard4Life
September 17th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Iona would best be suited for D3 play. They are a small school that likely, and did not, make a finacial committment to recruiting etc. There are tons of good D3 schools in the area that would keep travel costs low. It would be pointless to play in the Pioneer League if you could be a competitive D3 team.

GaelsFootball
September 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I don't think the male population at Iona plummeted after the football team disbanded, a few guys may have moved onto different schools, but I would say a good portion of the team stayed at IC to finish up their degrees. I doubt the disbanding of the team had an affect on Title IX that way.

Football comes back to Iona when the economic times are better, and the school has an administration and some boosters that really want a program.

Out of the underclassmen I would say well over 90% of them left and are playing, many of them still at the FCS level (howard, Maine, Albany, Sacred Heart, Bryant,, Central Conn, just off the top of my head). The only players that remained were kids that are currently seniors.

danefan
September 17th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Iona would best be suited for D3 play. They are a small school that likely, and did not, make a finacial committment to recruiting etc. There are tons of good D3 schools in the area that would keep travel costs low. It would be pointless to play in the Pioneer League if you could be a competitive D3 team.

Iona will never give up DI athletics though. They have had success in some of the non-revenue sports (see Cross Country for an example). Plus they have to keep up with the Catholic school joneses of the MAAC and keep their overfunded DI basketball team.

jimbo65
September 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I might be wrong but I do not believe D3 fball is an option if Iona wants to remain DI basketball. As a matter of fact, I believe that the old MAAC fball conference was formed to give the Iona's, St. Peter's Fairfield's a safe haven to compete at the then "1AA level" sans scholarships and with minimal $ commitment. As I recall, if you fielded a D1 basketball program, your fball had to be either 1A or 1AA. Illiogical I agree, but the NCAA is all about $ and the big boys do not like sharing the March Madness $.

89Hen
September 17th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Iona will never give up DI athletics though.

I might be wrong but I do not believe D3 fball is an option if Iona wants to remain DI basketball.
The unfortunate truth of the NCAA's stance on football. You can have DI lacrosse, but can't have D3 football. Do they really think there are schools that would drop to D3 and dominate?xcoolx

Cobblestone
September 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Unfortunate truth. Look no further than Boston U if you want to see a group that thought they were really on track to bring football back but were really never close. Many folks here remember the B-TUFF guys. And BU had some decent success in I-AA right before closing shop. :(

They certainly had some great teams in the early to mid 80's. xnodx

Seahawks Fan
September 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Because of the ill conceived "Dayton Rule" Division III football is not an option for Iona. PFL, NEC or independent are the logical alternatives in the future.

Seahawks Fan
September 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM
The unfortunate truth of the NCAA's stance on football. You can have DI lacrosse, but can't have D3 football. Do they really think there are schools that would drop to D3 and dominate?xcoolx

If you mean drop to D3 football, absolutely. You need to look no further than Wagner and Dayton. :)