PDA

View Full Version : New URI Pres Supporting Football

jpincince
September 16th, 2009, 11:54 AM
ProJo.com hosted a chat (http://newsblog.projo.com/2009/09/transcript-projocom-chat-with.html)with new University of Rhode Island President David Dooley today. Here are a few Q&A's about football:

joed: In recent years URI has gotten rid of the boy's tennis program, the boy's swimming program and there are others just can't remember them all, but at the end of the day it would be wiser to downgrade football to a club sport, what with insurance, uniforms, coaches salaries, scholarships, travel expenses, I'm sure there is alot I'm omitting. I know you instituted tailgate parties, but people don't care about URI football, we don't win, not many Rhode Island kids are on the team, in these tough economic times it would be more justifible to get rid of football. That would be a tough decision that a new President would have to make, I know your going to give me the song and dance routine about how it's good for the school, get our name out there, the alumni want it, Providence College did it and they're not hurting, somewhere down the line with tough economic times this decision will have to be made.

David M. Dooley: I don't agree. I think our football program can be competitive and successful. And, I do think it will provide benefits for the University as a whole. I don't sing or dance well, so this is a straight answer based on what I think. We will certainly be working hard with the staff, the AD, and others to improve the program and we will be continually evaluating our progress. Time will tell whether we can be successful, but I think we can.

. . .

1999 Engineering Alumni: With the recent changes to allow alcohol at football games, will there be any other changes to the alcohol policy at URI? Will alcohol be allowed to be served at basketball games? Will the greek system be allowed to have official on-campus events with alcohol?

David M. Dooley: We will be looking at many policies and practices at URI with the view to ensure that these policies and practices continue to be the best ones for the University. Our policies around the availability of alcoholic beverages are some of those that we are examining. The first step of reinstituting tailgating appears to be a great success. We will look at other practices and may make additional changes. However, we will continuously evaluate the outcomes of these changes and, if problems emerge, will not hesitate to make adjustments or to reverse course.

. . .

HOCKEYGUY: Any Chance that we could look at dropping 1AA football and move towards a D1 Hockey team for the men and the women?

David M. Dooley: Not in the immediate future. As I said earlier, I believe our football program can be competitive and successful even in a tough conference. And, I think it would be beneficial to the institution to have a successful football program in the FCS division. I'm a hocky fan and we have successful club teams for both men and women at URI. Budgets and circumstances permitting, I am certainly willing to look at expansion of our NCAA programs.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 12:14 PM
joed and HOCKEYGUY need to be expelled, that's what I think. Have 'em transfer to Providence. Those two guys are communists.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM
URI would join Alaska and Vermont as the only public flagship universities without DI football.

DFW HOYA
September 16th, 2009, 12:30 PM
URI would join Alaska and Vermont as the only public flagship universities without DI football.

The Univ of D.C. is a public flagship/land grant university, but they don't have football anymore, either.

Dane96
September 16th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Flagship of what? How many state schools are in DC?

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 12:50 PM
From their site:

The University of the District of Columbia is an urban land-grant institution of higher education.

Actually, all steps are in place for them to have a college team in the near future:

a) The Redskins are teetering on mediocrity in the NFC east
b) In the best interests of the League, Goodell could strip ownership from that moron called Snyder
c) The school colors wouldn't prompt any uniform changes for my beloved 'Skins

WUTNDITWAA
September 16th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I do like the directness of this president.

Cobblestone
September 16th, 2009, 01:36 PM
David M. Dooley: I don't agree. I think our football program can be competitive and successful. And, I do think it will provide benefits for the University as a whole. I don't sing or dance well, so this is a straight answer based on what I think. We will certainly be working hard with the staff, the AD, and others to improve the program and we will be continually evaluating our progress. Time will tell whether we can be successful, but I think we can.
. . .

David M. Dooley: Not in the immediate future. As I said earlier, I believe our football program can be competitive and successful even in a tough conference. And, I think it would be beneficial to the institution to have a successful football program in the FCS division.

THE GUY IS MY HERO! xbowx

Screw the pussies who don't like football. Let them stay home on a Saturday like they do now.

... although I'd love to also see us have a D-I hockey program as well.

Jackman
September 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I'm happy for Rhodie fans that they got such a firm response from the new Pres. Do other FCS programs in other parts of the country have to deal with "fans" constantly trying to undercut the football program, or does this only happen in New England? The state of RI has neither a FBS team nor a pro team, so it'd be stupid for URI to just surrender the field to Brown and Bryant, the former of which won't even participate in the playoffs. They just need to stop sucking. There's no inherent reason why they can't match what UNH has done, they just need UNH-caliber people.

(I am sympathetic to the URI Hockey fan though. The rest of the CAA North has just as big or bigger crowds for hockey as they do men's basketball, excluding Hofstra obviously. But you don't sacrifice football for hockey.)

Cobblestone
September 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I'm happy for Rhodie fans that they got such a firm response from the new Pres. Do other FCS programs in other parts of the country have to deal with "fans" constantly trying to undercut the football program, or does this only happen in New England? The state of RI has neither a FBS team nor a pro team, so it'd be stupid for URI to just surrender the field to Brown and Bryant, the former of which won't even participate in the playoffs. They just need to stop sucking. There's no inherent reason why they can't match what UNH has done, they just need UNH-caliber people.

(I am sympathetic to the URI Hockey fan though. The rest of the CAA North has just as big or bigger crowds for hockey as they do men's basketball, excluding Hofstra obviously. But you don't sacrifice football for hockey.)

We'll start by beating UMASS this Saturday. xnodx xsmiley_wix

Good post. I agree with all of it, including the part about hockey.

henfan
September 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM
... although I'd love to also see us have a D-I hockey program as well.

I hear you, though, selfishly, I wouldn't like that. I enjoy the current UD-URI hockey rivalry.

Wish UD could afford to do D-I NCAA hockey but it would have to come at the expense of other Olympic sport programs. Despite the potential for good support, that isn't likely to happen.

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I wish Harvard's president were as supportive.xcoolx

Husky Alum
September 16th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I wish Harvard's president were as supportive.xcoolx

And Northeastern's.

We have other issues to deal with, however.

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 16th, 2009, 06:47 PM
If I were a URI grad or fan, after hearing Pres Dooley's "straight talk", I would be in heaven. Actually, as a fan of the CAA and college football, in general, I am.

Of course, let's hope that Dr. Dooley's support is not the programmatic equivalent of a "vote of confidence" for an embattled head coach....

jpincince
September 17th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Dooley answered (http://newsblog.projo.com/2009/09/uri-president-dooley-answers-r.html)more questions today that he didn't have time to yesterday. There was one more about football:

Bigsky: HI-wil you improve the atmosphere at football games and make it like it is at Montana Statte?

David M. Dooley: We have both short-term and long-term goals in this regard. Short term we want to continue to improve the game day experience for fans. I know the coaching staff and student athletes are also working very hard to be evne more competitive; I think we saw that in our first game. Long term we are looking for ways to add a modern artificial surface and lights to the field, which will also improve our program for everyone.

Cobblestone
September 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Dooley answered (http://newsblog.projo.com/2009/09/uri-president-dooley-answers-r.html)more questions today that he didn't have time to yesterday. There was one more about football:

Bigsky: HI-wil you improve the atmosphere at football games and make it like it is at Montana Statte?

David M. Dooley: We have both short-term and long-term goals in this regard. Short term we want to continue to improve the game day experience for fans. I know the coaching staff and student athletes are also working very hard to be evne more competitive; I think we saw that in our first game. Long term we are looking for ways to add a modern artificial surface and lights to the field, which will also improve our program for everyone.

All well and good but before doing that he needs to get repairs or possibly new stands in place on the East side (former URI home side) since it is becoming a safety issue over there.

Dane96
September 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I'm loving the remarks out of Kingston; not that you guys have had total non-support...but the language now is really positive.