PDA

View Full Version : Week 3 questions...

KAUMASS
September 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Week 3 ponderings....please feel free to add anything to this list...

1. Why do people get so worked up about polls in September?

2. Is Appalachian State human or is Armenti shaking off the rust and the defense
didn't show up for McNeese? Good week for a bye for them..

3. Idaho State gets a breather with Weber St after Arizona St and Oklahoma?
Idaho State realistically gets 3 FBS games in a row!....Weber State gets a
breather after 2 close FBS games..What's the score of this game? Can Idaho
Idaho St keep it close? Are both teams gased after 2 FBS games in a row?
What could we call this game? Hangover Bowl?

4. St. Francis?-shot against Northern Iowa? St. Francis played UNH tough and
put away Moorhead St convincingly...UNH has always played UNI tough..hmmm
Well find out if S.F has anything...UNI should roll, but it is AGS..

5. Hofstra...will the Pride be proud and live up to pre-season billing and give
Richmond a game? possible trap game here for UR?..(maybe)(not likely)

6 Maine at Albany? Good indicator game here...McCarty out for this game?

7. Cal Poly taking on 2 FBS schools the next two weeks..Ohio U & San Jose State..
Cal Poly with a shot against Ohio U, not so sure against SJS.

8. Why do AD's take on two FBS schools in one year in a 11 game season?
Lack of local FCS schools nearby, D2's don't count, just for the budget?
Take your pick...Insane anyway you look at it...

9. Surprise team of the year so far? South Dakota State/Delaware/St. Francis?
Please add any teams you think deserving...

10. Georgia Southern soul searching and in for a rough year? or is SDSU
and UAlbany that good this year? Albany plays Maine this week
and SDSU plays Indiana State...

11 Furman hang with Mizzou? Good indicator game here for FU..

12. Towson/Coastal C-big game for both teams...pick'm

13. Wofford/Elon-great indicator games here against Wisconsin & Wake Forest..

14. Holy Cross/Harvard-pick'm...leaning towards H.C as this is Harvard's first
game...H.C. will be tested the following week with Northeastern(maybe)

15. Rhode Island/UMass...will UMass continue to roll and find out if URI
has anything this year...Qb looks good for URI, but was he tested against
Fordham-Fordham mediocre this year? "D" back in defense for UM?(looks that
way)

16. Montana/Portland St...Montana looked weak against the pass against UCD,
Portand St. is going to throw more than UCD-is this a close game or typical
Montana- closing up their wound when they seem vulnerable and come out
the next week stronger?

danefan
September 16th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Good thread.

1. Why do people get so worked up about polls in September? I'm certainly guilty of it, but I can't explain it.

2. Is Appalachian State human or is Armenti shaking off the rust and the defense didn't show up for McNeese? I too am perplexed.

What could we call this game? Hangover Bowl?

put away Moorhead St convincingly...UNH has always played UNI tough..hmmm Well find out if S.F has anything...UNI should roll, but it is AGS.. I'll believe it when I see it, but I think St. Francis may have gotten over the hump here. Every dog has its day right? All cliches aside - UNI by 28. xlolx

Richmond a game? possible trap game here for UR?..(maybe)(not likely)

6 Maine at Albany? Good indicator game here...McCarty out for this game? McCarty is listed as the starting tailback in the gamenotes. I won't believe it until he actually comes onto the field. If he's hurt, he should sit. Its all about winning the NEC now for Albany so he needs to be healthy for NEC play.

7. Cal Poly taking on 2 FBS schools the next two weeks..Ohio U & San Jose State.. Cal Poly with a shot against Ohio U, not so sure against SJS.

Take your pick...Insane anyway you look at it... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ The bigger questions is why do FBS squads take on two FCS schools. Only one "counts" for bowl eligiblity and if they aren't trying to get into a bowl, why are they playing FBS football?

Please add any teams you think deserving... McNeese for me.

and SDSU plays Indiana State... Albany and GSU are on the same level I think. SDSU and UMass are way ahead.

11 Furman hang with Mizzou? Good indicator game here for FU..

12. Towson/Coastal C-big game for both teams...pick'm Towson

13. Wofford/Elon-great indicator games here against Wisconsin & Wake Forest..

game...H.C. will be tested the following week with Northeastern(maybe) HC by 3 TD's in this one.

way) UMass by 2 TDs.

16. Montana/Portland St...Montana looked weak against the pass against UCD, Portand St. is going to throw more than UCD-is this a close game or typical Montana- closing up their wound when they seem vulnerable and come out the next week stronger?

Gil Dobie
September 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM
SDSU is surprising to people that are not from the Dakota's. I saw a great team last year, and they returned many of the same players with an extra year of experience, minus the QB.

OL FU
September 16th, 2009, 09:08 AM
My guess is that Furman doesn't hang with Mizzou. We have hung with rated FBS schools before, but I am concerned that our defense will not keep them out of the endzone.

Not really sure how good of an indicator it is for Furman either. Typically don't put much emphasis other than dollars on games where the talent level and money level is so far apart. Unless WCU's fortunes change, I think Furman's first indicator game is again Elon three week ends from now.

ASUG8
September 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
ASU needs to regroup and needs a decisive win against Samford to rebuild the confidence level a bit.

I'll pull for Furman against Missouri, just hoping for a solid showing.

Agree on Wofford/Elon vs FBS - Elon has a decent shot, but I can't speak to how bad the loss at QB is for the Terriers

Don't write GSU off just yet - IMO, they will play the spoiler role this season. They're rebuilding, didn't lose considerably much from last year, and played the top of the SoCon very strong last season.

89Hen
September 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
1. Why do people get so worked up about polls in September? Because we've been waiting 9 months to talk about them.

2. Is Appalachian State human or is Armenti shaking off the rust and the defense
didn't show up for McNeese? Good week for a bye for them.. McNeese is probably a good team and AppSt is probably a good team

What could we call this game? Hangover Bowl? IdahoSt is in complete disarray. This one should NOT be close

Well find out if S.F has anything...UNI should roll, but it is AGS.. At least 3 TD's

Richmond a game? possible trap game here for UR?..(maybe)(not likely) No, this darkhorse thinking was wishful thinking. They're still #4 in the North and #9 overall in the CAA

6 Maine at Albany? Good indicator game here...McCarty out for this game? Maine is as good if not better than UMass, should be similar score.

7. Cal Poly taking on 2 FBS schools the next two weeks..Ohio U & San Jose State..
Cal Poly with a shot against Ohio U, not so sure against SJS. No on both. CalPoly is not as strong this year.

Take your pick...Insane anyway you look at it... Pressure from above to get budget in line

Please add any teams you think deserving... None of the above. SDSU is as good as I thought they were, UD and StFran haven't done anything yet. McNeese win was most surprising to me so far.

and SDSU plays Indiana State... GSU must not have the beasts they used to get and everyone has figured out how to defend.

11 Furman hang with Mizzou? Good indicator game here for FU.. No. 3+ TD's

12. Towson/Coastal C-big game for both teams...pick'm Not a big game for anyone else

13. Wofford/Elon-great indicator games here against Wisconsin & Wake Forest.. I-A games rarely are good indicators.

game...H.C. will be tested the following week with Northeastern(maybe) CRUSADERS

way) URI may give them more than they want. They're not the same old URI.

the next week stronger? Even if it's close, another snoozer for the Griz

McNeese72
September 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
didn't show up for McNeese? Good week for a bye for them.. McNeese is probably a good team and AppSt is probably a good team

Nah, we are both bad. None of you guys have to worry about us for the rest of the season. ;)

Doc

P.S. I wouldn't want to be Samford a week from Saturday.

Skjellyfetti
September 16th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Armanti doesn't look like he is shaking off any rust. He made some great runs, pitches, and throws last Saturday. Other than a fumble on the goaline and a dropped pass by Quick... I think the offense was clicking fine.

Defense is another story. I'm reserving judgment till after the Samford game.

wapiti
September 16th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Take your pick...Insane anyway you look at it... I can see the reason for playing a FBS team, $$$$$$$, but not for playing a Div 2, 3, or NAIA.
the lower Div teams do not count for playoffs if you win, but they do count against you if you lose. I think it would be better to take a lose against a FCS team then a win against a lower Div team.

Please add any teams you think deserving... Montana State - playing poorly

the next week stronger? Montana wins. -

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Polls: Way too early to tell, but it's all about discussions right now.

Appy: More human than people give them credit, but yes, they're probably very very good. ;) As I-A is more balanced than ever before, I-AA is balancing out as well.

Hofstra: We're hoping the decent players we have are put to good use. Read: Coaches, open up the playbook.

UA / Maine: Should be an interesting matchup. We just don't know how the Bears will fare this year in conference play.

UMass: Please, danefan, disclose the payoff you've received on behalf of the Minutemen faithful. They will be exposed by their conference play this year. They're not allowed to schedule 11 patsy teams, must play CAA games....

URI: I hope to hell they have a decent year. Coaching turnover, injury to that back, their history, etc.... Here's hoping they have a great season (except for the Hofstra game).

DLS
September 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Armanti doesn't look like he is shaking off any rust. He made some great runs, pitches, and throws last Saturday. Other than a fumble on the goaline and a dropped pass by Quick... I think the offense was clicking fine.

Defense is another story. I'm reserving judgment till after the Samford game.

agreed. that 20yd td run he had was amazing

MplsBison
September 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
SDSU is surprising to people that are not from the Dakota's. I saw a great team last year, and they returned many of the same players with an extra year of experience, minus the QB.

Except that Crawford played well against us last year too, when our DL gave Berry a concussion.

Then when our DL broke Crawfords wrist (or whatever it was), Stig threw Berry back in the game, concussion and all, to win it.

Crawford looked like a carbon copy of Berry from what I could tell. Ran the offense almost exactly the same. He could have a break-out year.

What ever happened to that Air Force transfer?

Jacks02
September 16th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Except that Crawford played well against us last year too, when our DL gave Berry a concussion.

Then when our DL broke Crawfords wrist (or whatever it was), Stig threw Berry back in the game, concussion and all, to win it.

Crawford looked like a carbon copy of Berry from what I could tell. Ran the offense almost exactly the same. He could have a break-out year.

What ever happened to that Air Force transfer?

He's still fighting for the #2 spot but if doesn't get into the game this week will likely redshirt this season.

KAUMASS
September 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Polls: Way too early to tell, but it's all about discussions right now.

Appy: More human than people give them credit, but yes, they're probably very very good. ;) As I-A is more balanced than ever before, I-AA is balancing out as well.

Hofstra: We're hoping the decent players we have are put to good use. Read: Coaches, open up the playbook.

UA / Maine: Should be an interesting matchup. We just don't know how the Bears will fare this year in conference play.

UMass: Please, danefan, disclose the payoff you've received on behalf of the Minutemen faithful. They will be exposed by their conference play this year. They're not allowed to schedule 11 patsy teams, must play CAA games....
URI: I hope to hell they have a decent year. Coaching turnover, injury to that back, their history, etc.... Here's hoping they have a great season (except for the Hofstra game).

Kansas State is a patsy?xeyebrowx

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hofstra at UR, we'll be lucky to stay within 3 TD's.

We're too small on defense and offensively we're predictable and vanilla. We have no business being in this game.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM
SBU, Albany as patsies. Yeah, Hofstra does the same... but we all know we've been scheduling down recently.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Hofstra at UR, we'll be lucky to stay within 3 TD's.

We're too small on defense and offensively we're predictable and vanilla. We have no business being in this game.

Thank you, Lou Holtz xsmiley_wix

danefan
September 16th, 2009, 11:44 AM
SBU, Albany as patsies. Yeah, Hofstra does the same... but we all know we've been scheduling down recently.

And losing. xwhistlex

Sorry Bull, couldn't help myself.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
hey, it is what it is!

TTUEagles
September 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I can only add to 2 questions...
" 4. St. Francis?-shot against Northern Iowa? St. Francis played UNH tough and
Well find out if S.F has anything...UNI should roll, but it is AGS.. At least 3 TD's "
I've only seen UNI play out of all the above schools and was thoroughly impressed. Best FCS team I've seen, sans Appy. State 2 & 3 years ago, in a while.

" 8. Why do AD's take on two FBS schools in one year in a 11 game season?
Take your pick...Insane anyway you look at it... "

Tech's coach has said, "I'll never do it again, but, we don't have any money. We're trying to build a practice facility and desperately need a new weight room and to do that, we had to take on another (FBS) game." Not verbatim, but you get the gist.

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 11:55 AM
And losing. xwhistlex

Sorry Bull, couldn't help myself.

Not so much losing as giving that game away. Not getting into it, but like my old coach used to say, "The sun shines on every dog's a$$ once in a while." That day it shined on the danes.

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 11:57 AM

Disagree with scheduling down in OOC, our OOC schedule has been very balanced in recent years. SBU is a full scholarship team now and Albany is or is almost there. Plus, Albany is on the schedule of other well established 1AA programs.

As for Bryant, hey, even the big 1A's schedule a game that they should win.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Be fair Uncle Buck. A team needs to close the deal, the Dutch didn't finish the job.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Disagree with scheduling down in OOC, our OOC schedule has been very balanced in recent years. SBU is a full scholarship team now and Albany is or is almost there. Plus, Albany is on the schedule of other well established 1AA programs.

As for Bryant, hey, even the big 1A's schedule a game that they should win.

Make no bones about it. Gone are the days of YSU, Montana, etc. Quality programs on the schedule. Used to be a program that was up for the challenge of the big boys....

Buzzcut
September 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I can only add to 2 questions...
" 4. St. Francis?-shot against Northern Iowa? St. Francis played UNH tough and
Well find out if S.F has anything...UNI should roll, but it is AGS.. At least 3 TD's "
I've only seen UNI play out of all the above schools and was thoroughly impressed. Best FCS team I've seen, sans Appy. State 2 & 3 years ago, in a while.
After watching the UNI/Iowa game, it seems to me that the Panthers really have their eye on the prize this season. After their disappointments in the playoffs over the last few seasons, I don't see them making a mistake like losing to St. Francis. Pat Grace & Co. will take care of business by 4 TDs.

" 8. Why do AD's take on two FBS schools in one year in a 11 game season?
Take your pick...Insane anyway you look at it... "

Tech's coach has said, "I'll never do it again, but, we don't have any money. We're trying to build a practice facility and desperately need a new weight room and to do that, we had to take on another (FBS) game." Not verbatim, but you get the gist.[/QUOTE] I agree, the money is hard to resist. EKU too has two FBS games on the docket, one very late in the season (potentially dangerous as far as injuries). You've got to have the facilities to get the recruits though, so in the end the insanity of two FBS games offers a means to an end.

SEE YOU GUYS ON SATURDAY. xsmiley_wix

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Make no bones about it. Gone are the days of YSU, Montana, etc. Quality programs on the schedule. Used to be a program that was up for the challenge of the big boys....

Don't forget, those were also pre-conference days when we HAD to schedule anyone anywhere because there was not autobid and we needed to make noise to get a playoff birth. Being in an autobid conference certainly takes the pressure off of having to travel the country for impressive wins. You get through the CAA slate successfully, you're a pretty damn good team who should be in the playoffs.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Yes. And I do remember the talk back then of not having to schedule so big. I just wouldn't mind having an important OOC game early in the year over the next couple years as the roster is supposed to mature, since we have some decent young kids again.

The problem has become playing down to the competition. We take an SBU or Albany game, and it turns into an adventure... a la the Albany loss. 13-0 against SBU, but man did they challenge that streak in week 1. Back in the day, they could have sleepwalked over these guys and still come out winning by a few touchdowns.

danefan
September 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Yes. And I do remember the talk back then of not having to schedule so big. I just wouldn't mind having an important OOC game early in the year over the next couple years as the roster is supposed to mature, since we have some decent young kids again.

The problem has become playing down to the competition. We take an SBU or Albany game, and it turns into an adventure... a la the Albany loss. 13-0 against SBU, but man did they challenge that streak in week 1. Back in the day, they could have sleepwalked over these guys and still come out winning by a few touchdowns.

Back in the near recent day (e.g. 2005) Albany and SBU were non-scholarship teams. Big difference now.

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Back in the day neither albany or SBU had scholarships. At some point scholarship athletes start making an impact. And while the SBU score was close, the game was not that close. With a conference schedule that has us playing Richmond, JMU, UNH, Maine, UMass who are all ranked, plus a UD team that will be tough, i don't see the need right now for a big OOC game.

McNeese75
September 16th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Kansas State is a patsy?xeyebrowx

They did lose to ULL xwhistlex

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Back in the day neither albany or SBU had scholarships. At some point scholarship athletes start making an impact. And while the SBU score was close, the game was not that close. With a conference schedule that has us playing Richmond, JMU, UNH, Maine, UMass who are all ranked, plus a UD team that will be tough, i don't see the need right now for a big OOC game.

Wait a second, chief. Jack and I (and perhaps others in the stands) were thinking that the game was still in question heading into the second half. We left some points on the field (bad call missing the PI in the end zone, I forget WHEN during the game), along with some receivers not being hit open downfield (woulda, shoulda, coulda....)

Additionally, the coaches thought the scoreboard was still broken and that we had a 50-point lead, calling an extremely conservative game. Cannot make excuses for the overall results, but was a game that should have been out of reach in the first half. This SBU team, while improving year after year, is still totally over matched.

Can't speak for Albany, since we don't face them this year and of course we stuffed ourselves with crow already after the last matchup. But... another team that's by no means up to par with our conference peers.

WMTribe90
September 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Richmond a game? possible trap game here for UR?..(maybe)(not likely) No, this darkhorse thinking was wishful thinking. They're still #4 in the North and #9 overall in the CAA

[/COLOR]

Really, what about Maine's performance to date makes you think they're ahead of Hofstra. UMass looked good at first hanging with KSU and beating Albany handily. But, then KSU lost to LA-Lafayette and GSU was blown out by SDSU and put the merit of those performances somewhat in doubt. UNH is still the favorite, but I still think the battle for 2nd in the north is wide open.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
The CAA North after UNH should be wide open, yes. I don't think anyone can rightfully claim it at this point. Anyone!

Jackman
September 16th, 2009, 05:37 PM
SBU, Albany as patsies.

They were the toughest regional opponents we could get. Holy Cross was fully booked this year (they're back on the schedule the next two years) and Harvard won't play us. Fordham isn't very good, judging by their game against Rhody. Everybody else is either in our conference or further down the food chain in the NEC. I guess we could have tried scheduling Colgate, but are they really a step up from the SUNYs? As for flying an opponent in, unless it's a semi-recognizable name like App State or Montana, it's not worth the expense.

I don't know who else we're supposed to play. It's not like there's a shortage of local Division IIs, non-scholarship programs and NEC bottom dwellers we could have scheduled if we were really looking for patsies. Instead we grabbed the best of the NEC and the only local full scholarship program not in the CAA. If Harvard wants a series, have them call our AD. If we're willing to give home-and-homes to Holy Cross, we wouldn't hesitate to do it for Harvard.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Realize I'm not calling out UMass, since Hofstra has had those guys on the sched lately. Though I do think it's good for local rivalries for us, it has it's obvious downsides.

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Wait a second, chief. Jack and I (and perhaps others in the stands) were thinking that the game was still in question heading into the second half. We left some points on the field (bad call missing the PI in the end zone, I forget WHEN during the game), along with some receivers not being hit open downfield (woulda, shoulda, coulda....)

Additionally, the coaches thought the scoreboard was still broken and that we had a 50-point lead, calling an extremely conservative game. Cannot make excuses for the overall results, but was a game that should have been out of reach in the first half. This SBU team, while improving year after year, is still totally over matched.

Can't speak for Albany, since we don't face them this year and of course we stuffed ourselves with crow already after the last matchup. But... another team that's by no means up to par with our conference peers.

Don't go back to previous posts that you could have addressed after i refuted your claim to a weak OOC schedule and the need to schedule big time OOC games. xnonox

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Realize I'm not calling out UMass, since Hofstra has had those guys on the sched lately. Though I do think it's good for local rivalries for us, it has it's obvious downsides.

Double-talk xrulesx

Go look at the UMass OOC schedule, you will still see a mix. Albany in 05, 08, 09 - Stony Brook in 06, 09, Bryant in 08, Holy Cross and Colgate throughout since 2000, Central Connecticut State in 02, 03, American International in 2000 and 02, New Haven in 02, Delaware State in '04.

You can see that going back to 2000, even UMass has scheduled some teams that were 'likely' wins. xcoffeex

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I have no problem slamming Albany, even though it weakens Hofstra. I've been taking backhanded swipes at them the last few days.

I do not think Albany and Stony Brook are a good test for anyone in the CAA, and I don't care how many scholarships they have. I understand the sacrifice of having them on a Hofstra schedule in any given year in order to build a (more) local rivalry is a lesser quality opponent. Double talk my ass. I don't like having them around, but since I can't make the schedules, we might as well embrace it for what it is. You can't tell me their fans haven't traveled well and covered up the aluminum at Hofstra Stadium....

It's all part of the long-term plan laid out by 3r20 ;) Downgrade the opponents until we join the PFL.

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I have no problem slamming Albany, even though it weakens Hofstra. I've been taking backhanded swipes at them the last few days.

I do not think Albany and Stony Brook are a good test for anyone in the CAA, and I don't care how many scholarships they have.

Don't knock Hofstra for scheduling them when they're not the only CAA team doing it. Hell, even Georgia Southern has played Albany and Central Connecticut State. You get scholarships, you're on an even playing field. Stop trying to tilt the table in your favor. It's like trying to stuff a square peg in a round hole, it doesn't work.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 07:38 PM
And FWIW, are you really impressed by UMass lately? I'm not, and I do not think they're a likely at-large candidate this year. See the other thread....

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 07:38 PM

I do not think Albany and Stony Brook are a good test for anyone in the CAA, and I don't care how many scholarships they have. I understand the sacrifice of having them on a Hofstra schedule in any given year in order to build a (more) local rivalry is a lesser quality opponent. Double talk my ass. I don't like having them around, but since I can't make the schedules, we might as well embrace it for what it is. You can't tell me their fans haven't traveled well and covered up the aluminum at Hofstra Stadium....

It's all part of the long-term plan laid out by 3r20 ;) Downgrade the opponents until we join the PFL.

Since you've added to the post. I never said anything about SBU traveling at all. Stop deflecting. They have scholarships, it's an even playing field. They are a local team with a full allotment of scholarships, no reason they shouldn't be on the schedule.

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM
And FWIW, are you really impressed by UMass lately? I'm not, and I do not think they're a likely at-large candidate this year. See the other thread....

You just like to stir the pot with anyone that will listen. I know better. I could have 100 people tell you that water is wet, you'll argue it.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Don't knock Hofstra for scheduling them when they're not the only CAA team doing it. Hell, even Georgia Southern has played Albany and Central Connecticut State. You get scholarships, you're on an even playing field. Stop trying to tilt the table in your favor. It's like trying to stuff a square peg in a round hole, it doesn't work.

So a scholarship athlete at SBU or Albany is equal to the scholarship athlete at Appy State, or UNH, or Hofstra? xconfusedx Really? You're sounding like an Albany fan....

I'm not out to defend anyone's scheduling.... You and I just know that Hofstra has downgraded the OOC schedule for a number of reasons, and while it gives them a 'break' from the higher level of competition they face in the CAA, they seem to play down to these teams.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM
You just like to stir the pot with anyone that will listen. I know better. I could have 100 people tell you that water is wet, you'll argue it.

You and I could take this offline. You know damn well we pretty much see eye-to-eye on the relative talent levels of the CAA, our opponents and us. And you know damn well we share a beef with the issues of Hofstra- the lack of balls by our offensive coordinator.

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM
So a scholarship athlete at SBU or Albany is equal to the scholarship athlete at Appy State, or UNH, or Hofstra? xconfusedx Really? You're sounding like an Albany fan....

I'm not out to defend anyone's scheduling.... You and I just know that Hofstra has downgraded the OOC schedule for a number of reasons, and while it gives them a 'break' from the higher level of competition they face in the CAA, they seem to play down to these teams.

A scholarship is a scholarship. SBU has 1A transfers, not sure about Albany, but they're typically competitive with all their games.

Playing up or down to your competition is not the question at hand, it's your hangup with Hofstra's OOC schedule. This year a full scholarship SBU team, a transitional Bryant, a 1A against Western Michigan, then conference games against 5 teams currently ranked in the top 20 with three in the top seven and UMass at 17. C'mon, no need to prove anything out of conference when you have a schedule like that. I think this year was a good balance in a local rivalry, a likely win, and a step up pay day. This isn't playstation III where you schedule the top 12 and make that your slate of games.

Hell, I looked at Penn State since i know your a fan, they have the likes of a poor Syracuse team, Temple, Akron and Eastern Illinois as OOC games. Looks like they don't really schedule up either.

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM
You and I could take this offline. You know damn well we pretty much see eye-to-eye on the relative talent levels of the CAA, our opponents and us. And you know damn well we share a beef with the issues of Hofstra- the lack of balls by our offensive coordinator.

That i can agree with. Poor playcalling and a lack of balls is an issue. I'm going to bed now, too tired to argue this. We'll take this up again after the upset at Richmond. :p

JayJ79
September 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Take your pick...Insane anyway you look at it... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ The bigger questions is why do FBS squads take on two FCS schools. Only one "counts" for bowl eligiblity and if they aren't trying to get into a bowl, why are they playing FBS football?

I can see the reason for playing a FBS team, $$$$$$$, but not for playing a Div 2, 3, or NAIA.
the lower Div teams do not count for playoffs if you win, but they do count against you if you lose. I think it would be better to take a lose against a FCS team then a win against a lower Div team.

The reason an FBS team schedules two FCS schools is the same reason FCS schools schedule sub-D-I opponents: to get another home game. that is the only reason I can think of, since a win in either case doesn't count towards their postseason goal.

As far as scheduling two FBS opponents, like everyone else says, it's mostly about money. Though I suppose if a good FCS team schedule two mediocre FBS teams, it gives them two chances to pull an "upset" instead of just one, as well as the two paydays.

Frankly, if it wasn't for the fact that UNI fans almost expect 6 home games each year, (which means 1 FBS road trip, and two buy-in games in the non-conference portion of the normal 11-game season), I wouldn't mind seeing UNI schedule two FBS teams: an upper tier one (Iowa, BYU, etc.) for the big paycheck, and a lower tier one (Iowa State, team from the MAC or Sunbelt, etc.) for a slightly smaller paycheck.

Of course, I don't know if there are any MAC/Sunbelt teams within driving/bussing distance, or that would offer a big enough paycheck to make the travel worthwhile. Or even if there are any such teams that would even schedule UNI xlolx

Actually, it would be kind of interesting to see UNI play both Iowa and Iowa State in the same season.

BDKJMU
September 16th, 2009, 08:00 PM
1. Why do people get so worked up about polls in September?

Maybe because they're retarded? I couldn't tell you right now what JMU is in each of the 3 polls. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10..I don't give a f#*% where JMU is or other teams right now in these almost meaningless Sept polls. All I know is JMU has got to play at least a 1/2 doz teams, 4 on the road, regardless of whatever popularity ranking they do or don't attached to them, that could beat JMU, and JMU has to win all but 2 of those to get to 8-3 and make the playoffs.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 08:25 PM
A scholarship is a scholarship. SBU has 1A transfers, not sure about Albany, but they're typically competitive with all their games.

Playing up or down to your competition is not the question at hand, it's your hangup with Hofstra's OOC schedule. This year a full scholarship SBU team, a transitional Bryant, a 1A against Western Michigan, then conference games against 5 teams currently ranked in the top 20 with three in the top seven and UMass at 17. C'mon, no need to prove anything out of conference when you have a schedule like that. I think this year was a good balance in a local rivalry, a likely win, and a step up pay day. This isn't playstation III where you schedule the top 12 and make that your slate of games.

Hell, I looked at Penn State since i know your a fan, they have the likes of a poor Syracuse team, Temple, Akron and Eastern Illinois as OOC games. Looks like they don't really schedule up either.

Don't overblow my angst over the schedule. Like I said, we might as well embrace it since we can't change it. I acknowledge the benefits and drawbacks, let's just hope we hit that 6 or 7 win mark we hoped for.

Dane96
September 17th, 2009, 08:55 AM

You are ridiculous.

What about when you guys were non-scholly...and low scholly. Guess my boys roommate (Owen Gardner...real good dude) should have been playing in those "up" games against better comp because Hofstra was still with its training wheels. Shame on those schools when Owen (as a youngin) was knocking better schools DT and NG's on their arses. Shame on those schools for allowing Hofstra to build a competitive program from scratch.

Quit your bellachying and enough of this "playing down" bull****. We have all been part of teams that play down...but when the teams are moving towards keeping it close for Hofstra...it says more about the growth of one program's competitveness rather than the complete downfall of another program.

Give it a rest.

Dane96
September 17th, 2009, 08:58 AM

You make ZERO sense.

In that case...a "southern scholarship" athlete...or a "california scholarship" athlete...or a "Texas/Lousiana scholarship" athelete, should be waxing Hofstra's primarily "Northeast/Middle-Atlantic laden scholarship' athletes on a regular basis; we all know that those kids are definitively better because of their high school experience.

xwhistlexxrulesxxcoffeexxrolleyesx

danefan
September 17th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Lately? Uncle Buck is talking about UMass's schedule going back a few years (2006, etc...). Correct me if I'm wrong Bull, but in that time UMass has 4 playoff wins, including a trip to the National Championship game. Maybe Hofstra should do more to schedule like UMass does. xtwocentsx

danefan
September 17th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Hey Bull - your Buffalo blue is showing. xcoffeex

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Dane96: Difference was, with the exception of a couple of UGLY losses at JMU and Montana, Hofstra back during their transition days BEAT some good teams (UNH, etc) and earned some respect. Yet I do not see Albany or SBU in the current rankings. Owen Gardner, Uncle Buck, Herve Damas, Wayne Chrebet, Dave Fiore et al, on those transitional teams were MUCH better players than most of the kids we see on the SBU and Albany rosters of TODAY. They are the kids that we still compare today's Dutch teams to: they had heart, were fearless and played ball. If you understood our history, you wouldn't be yapping. Those Hofstra teams would annihilate current Dane and Seawolve teams. Speak to Mr. Gardner about that. I have no problem with a program getting it's break, but ask yourself what it means to the better team in the matchup. We have issues with Hofstra, no doubt. I don't think we've had any real reason to puff up our chests over the last half-dozen years.

And yes, Hofstra's current scholarship athletes are not on par with our conference brethren. We have some decent kids, but for the most part we are still trying to get up to snuff with our own talent- we lack size and relative speed with the better teams of the CAA. No Hofstra fan worth his salt is going to tell you we're where we need to be. Maybe you need to re-read my post. Not all scholarship players are created equally.

We wait with baited breath for the games with our tougher opponents from down south, since we know they have the kids to win. Some of us bang the drum on needing to recruit south and west of the state of NJ, some of us are fine with some of the home-grown LI talent. Please, prove to me that the bulk of scholarship kids from Albany and SBU are as good as the kids that fill the rosters of Appy, Montana, Delaware, etc. Forget about the scholly limits. And the last time I checked, my Buffalo Bull team, equal in schollies with Florida, Michigan, Penn State, etc., couldn't hold their jocks. xeekx

danefan: Not being impressed with UMass as a team and not being impressed with their schedules = two separate issues. UMass, based on last year's results, are not as good as past vintages. This year, remains to be seen, and until they show marked improvement over last year, I don't think they're a viable at-large.

Buffalo Blue? Sure, I'm proud of our results in the last couple of years. Better coaching, improving roster. But we're still not good enough to beat UConn. And I hope that after Coach Gill leaves for bigger and better things, we can continue the momentum. Stony Brook and Albany are pretty much in the same boat in the I-AA ranks. Getting better, not there yet. But congrats on beating a declining Hofstra team, you've earned the right to talk smack.

Dane96
September 17th, 2009, 09:51 AM
WTF are you talking about...seriously. OMG.

How can you say those guys were SO MUCH better. You are seriously delluded. What is your evidence of that (except for Fiore and Chrebet)? Albany has two NON-SCHOLARSHIP guys in the NFL right now.
And we did beat Delaware and Lehigh..etc.

Jesus.

And yes, yoI understand my history. I have had many friends play at Hofstra...and I basically lived on campus with the athletes in 1991-1992...and the summers of 1992, 1993, 1994...while working with a lot of those players from the baseball and football teams at the numerous bars around Hofstra, Huntington and NYC.

My dad was a local coach who sent NUMEROUS kids to Hofstra and, thus, I spent a great deal of time with your coaching staff hanging out at dinners both in their homes, my home, and at restaurants.
I only grew up 25 minutes away from the school and was this close (fingers touching) to playing Baseball for the Dutchmen (never will I say the Pride).

Here are some stats for you. First off, Hofstra has been playing with a much different cupboard than Albany (stadium AND scholarships). That said, your statement that Albany is light years behind Hofstra during the I-AA years and transition period are not backed by facts, which include this season:

Hofstra- 17 Years I-AA/FCS, 110 wins; 74 losses; 2 ties; 6 losing or .500 seasons.
Albany- 10 Years I-AA/FCS, 67 wins; 45 losses; 3 losing or .500 seasons.

Albany's numbers when projected out for the additional 7 years: 17 years IAA-FCS, 114 wins; 76 losses; 6 losing or .500 seasons.

The real interesting thing is Albany has been handicapped by the scholarship/stadium issue longer than Hofstra was...but still playing 3-4 games a year against MUCH tougher competition. You can argue that is weighted by Hofstra having to play in the CAA...whereby a good Hofstra team might not be good enough to do well in the conference because the insane caliber from top-to-bottom in the conference.
But...you cannot say the teams aren't close...or that Albany hasnt made similar strides to the Pride (yeah, I said it here because it rhymes). If I remember correctly, the renovations at the stadium started in 1994...NO? Albany just found it no new stadium is in the works because of the economy...an oh yeah, we will be playing Cincinnati with 36 rides.

DONT EVER ASSUME...

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 09:56 AM
hey guy, UNH was ranked at the time. Get a clue. Albany beating a couple of down UD and Lehigh teams... YAWN.

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM
hey guy, UNH was ranked at the time. The DUTCH were a blown extra point away from the playoffs. Get a clue. Albany beating a couple of down UD and Lehigh teams... YAWN.

Oh yeah, wake me up when those two get some playing time in the league xlolx Please tell me you're comparing these two roster spot holders to the numerous kids sent to the NFL by Joe Gardi. xeekx You should know them by name considering your proximity to the players and coaches....

What's really comical is the argument you're making, considering the amount of time you spent jock sniffing back then.

Dane96
September 17th, 2009, 10:11 AM
hey guy, UNH was ranked at the time. The DUTCH were a blown extra point away from the playoffs. Get a clue. Albany beating a couple of down UD and Lehigh teams... YAWN.

Oh yeah, wake me up when those two get some playing time in the league xlolx Please tell me you're comparing these two roster spot holders to the numerous kids sent to the NFL by Joe Gardi. xeekx You should know them by name considering your proximity to the players and coaches....

What's really comical is the argument you're making, considering the amount of time you spent jock sniffing back then.

I know about UNH...I changed my statement...i was thinking of a different year. mea Culpa. And yes...I know those kids by name-- I was covered by Lance numerous times in my high school career.

And I didnt realize I was jock sniffing when hanging out with my best friend and his buddies...oh...and working on the Hofstra campus at a certain bar. Hey all-- you cant have friends that dont go to your school, and hell, if they happen to play ball at another school...and you stay in touch with them you must be sniffing jocks.

Do you even listen to yourself.

Uncle Buck...help this guy out a bit. No question people are entitled to their opinions...but man...oh man. And FYI...no one from Albany is advocating that we are DEFINITIVELY at where Hofstra was; we are saying that you cannot say VICE-VERSA.

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Here are some stats for you. First off, Hofstra has been playing with a much different cupboard than Albany (stadium AND scholarships). That said, your statement that Albany is light years behind Hofstra during the I-AA years and transition period are not backed by facts, which include this season:

Hofstra- 17 Years I-AA/FCS, 110 wins; 74 losses; 2 ties; 6 losing or .500 seasons.
Albany- 10 Years I-AA/FCS, 67 wins; 45 losses; 3 losing or .500 seasons.

Transition years... transition years.... Don't tell us about what's been going on during the latter part of Gardi's tenure and the Cohen era. We learned how to 'boo' and question the coordinators during that time. Nobody's happy, and if you go to the CAAzone, we've been openly questioning a ton of issues. We're *hoping* for a 7 win season this year, which is a far cry from the expectations of the early years where we assumed wins....

And please, resources? Hofstra has nothing to brag about. Coaches' salaries suck, high staff turnover, etc. Staff is loaded with guys who are either young and/or won't be here for long.

Funny you should talk about a resource advantage considering all the time you'd spent around the program. You clearly weren't paying attention.

Dane96
September 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Transition years... transition years.... Don't tell us about what's been going on during the latter part of Gardi's tenure and the Cohen era. We learned how to 'boo' and question the coordinators during that time. Nobody's happy, and if you go to the CAAzone, we've been openly questioning a ton of issues. We're *hoping* for a 7 win season this year, which is a far cry from the expectations of the early years where we assumed wins....

And please, resources? Hofstra has nothing to brag about. Coaches' salaries suck, high staff turnover, etc. Staff is loaded with guys who are either young and/or won't be here for long.

Funny you should talk about a resource advantage considering all the time you'd spent around the program. You clearly weren't paying attention.

Is it a question that Hofstra's resources are more than Albany--- if you think otherwise..you are smoking crack.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rW-OJ48AJBU/RoV4DfX56aI/AAAAAAAAB0M/Gyy5xdU5tGw/s320/shuart.jpg

http://www.albany.edu/sports/images/facilities/football-field-arial.jpg

Less paid coaches, less assistance...and significantly (read nearly half) the rides.

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Hofstra has a nice stadium, but we struggle to bribe / coerce / convince / trick 5-6K fools a game into it. It's a parents and friends crowd. Truth hurts here. That's not an advantage.

I don't know of Albany's resources, and I'm not trying to compare. I'm just saying that you're overestimating Hofstra's. Very much so. Remember, our competition is not "outspending" Albany or SBU, it's trying to keep up with UD, JMU, 'Nova and now UR- that forgotten, lost little brother of the conference that just went out and won the whole damn shootin' match. And yeah, UMass. That team that's been giving us fits. About the only team we feel confidence with on a regular basis is URI. Northeastern is a question mark.

Years ago, as you know, we used to feel like we were toe-to-toe with the other aforementioned squads....

Dane96
September 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Hofstra has a nice stadium, but we struggle to bribe / coerce / convince / trick 5-6K fools a game into it. It's a parents and friends crowd. Truth hurts here. That's not an advantage.

And we get less than 4k.

that argument I will agree with-- we both do a horrible job of getting fannies in.

But....try recruiting a kid to school whose bleachers are the steps of the Phys Ed building and the other stands are RUSTED...no joke.

danefan
September 17th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Hofstra Football Budget - $4,233,540
Albany Football Budget - $1,601,101

2.5 times the budget.

That's an advantage.

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Hofstra Football Budget - $4,233,540
Albany Football Budget - $1,601,101

2.5 times the budget.

That's an advantage.

But again, you're not the competition. Show me the budgets for the CAA conference.

danefan
September 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
CAA North:
Hofstra - $4,233,540
UMass - $3,877,595
UNH - $3,360,274
URI - $3,558,421
Northeastern - $3,406,901
Maine - $2,937,249

Shall I keep going?

Dane96
September 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Bull Fan just wants to blame everyone else...and talk down about everyone else because he is upset with the current state of the program.

Weak arguments are being bandied...including name calling (which really doesnt bother me, even if he were correct)

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
That's great. It supports my personal theory that the administration is not worthy of running a successful I-AA program in a premier conference, on straight bang-for-buck analysis. But that's another story.

I guess the next question is to look at that transition period, and to compare Hofstra vs. our opponents at the time.

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Uh... where's my name calling?

Yes, I'm upset with the state of affairs. Blame? It has to be passed, I cannot accept any of it since I have no say in any decisions on hiring and recruiting or partake in any play calling. xeyebrowx

Weak arguments: I guess you're not getting where I'm comparing the transitional periods re: schollies; Hofstra did a decent job with playing up, and even nearly managed to crash a playoff party... Albany and SBU have done neither. The results are there.

danefan
September 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Honestly - I don't even know what the hell we're talking about anymore.

Bull - you have always had it out for your SUNY bretheren on this board. I don't get it and while you have said on here (and on the UB board) that you don't have anything against Albany and SBU, you continue to as you say "take backhanded shots at [us]".

For what reason?

And its too difficult to compare transition periods, and quite frankly its pointless. Albany has been hindered by the decision (or need depending on how you look at it) to stay in the NEC. As for SBU, they have, IMO underachieved in their transition, especially considering the resources they have been handed.

I honestly do not even believe that Albany has started its "transition period". As long as we're in the NEC the periods cannot be compared.

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I have no problem with your programs or their desire to ascend. I have issues with some of the views of their fans.

Dane96
September 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Uh... where's my name calling?

Telling me I sniff jocks because my father served as a Gardi pipeline and because I have friends from Hofstra athletics?

I dunno....

....but frankly it doesnt bother me; just weakens your argument.

Dane96
September 17th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Honestly - I don't even know what the hell we're talking about anymore.

Bull - you have always had it out for your SUNY bretheren on this board. I don't get it and while you have said on here (and on the UB board) that you don't have anything against Albany and SBU, you continue to as you say "take backhanded shots at [us]".

For what reason?

And its too difficult to compare transition periods, and quite frankly its pointless. Albany has been hindered by the decision (or need depending on how you look at it) to stay in the NEC. As for SBU, they have, IMO underachieved in their transition, especially considering the resources they have been handed.

I honestly do not even believe that Albany has started its "transition period". As long as we're in the NEC the periods cannot be compared.

Bingo...and on DF's post, I rest.

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 10:46 AM
So one of you called me a donkey, then went back and edited it out. Whatever... If you need to whine about being called a jock sniffer, report me so I could expect another reprimand from mods xbawlingx

Dane96
September 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM
So one of you called me a donkey, then went back and edited it out. Whatever... If you need to whine about being called a jock sniffer, report me so I could expect another reprimand from mods xbawlingx

I called you that...but I did edit it almost immediately because it was childish...and didnt help argue any of our points.

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM
In terms of transition, I'm talking about the years you started offering schollies, and the stages of ramping them up in number. It's a very comparable argument. And for opponents, you could take their rankings.

It's pointless if you don't want to do the homework. But don't sit there and complain about the lack of resources as a crutch or complain about your conference. Hofstra, SBU and Albany each had / have their challenges. The results are the results.

danefan
September 17th, 2009, 11:09 AM
In terms of transition, I'm talking about the years you started offering schollies, and the stages of ramping them up in number. It's a very comparable argument. And for opponents, you could take their rankings.

It's pointless if you don't want to do the homework. But don't sit there and complain about the lack of resources as a crutch or complain about your conference. Hofstra, SBU and Albany each had / have their challenges. The results are the results.

Its not a crutch, its just apples to oranges when you're comparing Albany to Hofstra in transition.

Albany is capped at two additional scholarships a year until we get to 40. Hofstra never had that issue right? BTW I fully recognize that its a self-imposed restriction. Albany could have made the decision to go Indy or Big South with SBU, but they didn't.

The other issue is that Hofstra didn't have any local competition for recruiting. SBU and Albany were DII/III. Rutgers and Buffalo absolutely sucked. UConn wasn't FBS and Fordham and Colombia sucked. Hofstra had their pick of talent in the tri-state area during their transition.

Albany and SBU now have to compete with all of those teams for recruits and they obviously lose to the FBS teams and still a lot to Hofstra. That, btw, is another reason for Hofstra's downturn of late.

Once again, I'm not sure why it even matters. I'll just leave it at that, because I'm getting lost in this conversation.xpeacex

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I am going to do my best to gather scholly level information for the Hostra transition years, and I'm going to ask you for the same for Albany- I don't know where to reference that. SBU, who cares, they haven't beaten anybody to warrant the time. Records and opponents are easy to reference.

Again, leave the resource issue out of it (stadium, budgets, etc). If your contention is that a scholarship athlete is a scholarship athlete is a scholarship athlete (certainly is to Uncle Buck), then the results will speak. Polls and rankings don't factor into budgets and stadium size, certainly not coaching salary.

danefan
September 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I am going to do my best to gather scholly level information for the Hostra transition years, and I'm going to ask you for the same for Albany- I don't know where to reference that. SBU, who cares, they haven't beaten anybody to warrant the time. Records and opponents are easy to reference.

Again, leave the resource issue out of it (stadium, budgets, etc). If your contention is that a scholarship athlete is a scholarship athlete is a scholarship athlete (certainly is to Uncle Buck), then the results will speak. Polls and rankings don't factor into budgets and stadium size, certainly not coaching salary.

I never said that a scholarship athlete is a scholarship athlete. Is that what we're talking about?
It defnitely varies by team, but its probably pretty close between teams in the same region. Albany and Hofstra recruit the exact same kids nowadays.

I told you I was lost in this conversation.

And scholarships do not equal overall quality of play. Its a large piece of the puzzle, but its not all of it.

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Then this discussion is between Dane96 and me.

danefan
September 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolx
OK, no wonder I was confused.

Good luck.xpopcornx

andy7171
September 17th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Couple questions fellas...

1- what's this have to do with week 3?

2- I thought dane96 played at Albany?

3- Isn't BullFan UB's personal jock sniffer? j/k

4- Why aren't there any pictures of Allison Stokke?

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 11:37 AM

1- what's this have to do with week 3?

2- I thought dane96 played at Albany?

4- Why aren't there any pictures of Allison Stokke?

1: It means that Maine's fans will be sitting in rusty seats on Saturday as they watch the Bears smack up Albany.

3: By definition, yes.... though I never found the desire or need to try to rub elbows with the team back then (or now). In reality, no. I think we get too much on each other's nerves to have had the jock / jock sniffer relationship tag. Though I did soothe his crying that fateful fall night back in '94 when I brought him a hundred suicide wings.

Hey, I wrapped up my discussion here with Uncle Buck last night, and I wake up to find some disillusioned, jock-sniffing, I-know-it-all-because-my-father-provided-Joe-Gardi-with-his-LI-benchwarmers Albany fan got into a lather over his team being 'attacked'....

4: I wish she was holding my pole. Now Kiss da baby.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_x3EUF27pUQA/SRmjlMcuhQI/AAAAAAAAB-Y/PbeL47CNThA/s400/allison-stokke.jpg

Dane96
September 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Sorry...I am out of the conversation...brick wall and someone who parses and misquotes..

And I have better things to do than go out and research what you should know....but I will say this: up until two years ago...Albany had 12 grant-in-aids/schollys.
Night. I am, and it sounds like DF is as well, done with the convo.

Andy-- DF played longer than me; I was hurt 2nd practice and done with it. DF was a QB for the Danes. As for Stokke, I am going to cane myself for making this thread worthless without pics. ;)

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 12:23 PM
96, nighty-night. You opened up the can of worms with your handiwork this morning. I can pull for my SUNY brethren schools, but folks like you I have no desire to root for. Keep on making up those excuses, I'm sure they will do you fine ;)

appirishmen
September 17th, 2009, 12:49 PM

McNeese is a very good team offensively, but our defense did not show up that game. hopefully the week off and the 2 losses will wake them up.

Uncle Buck
September 17th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Hey, you can't prove that! xnonox

All in all, this thread has gotten way out of hand, Bull Fan has once again stoked the fires and will soon return to bashing Hofstra right after he drives the Albany people insane.

But, at the risk of further igniting this war, someone mentioned scholarship transition. HU gave out it's first 15 in 1995 and added 15 per year until it eventually got up to the full allotment.

All i know, i want to beat Richmond in week three.

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hey, you can't prove that! xnonox

All in all, this thread has gotten way out of hand, Bull Fan has once again stoked the fires and will soon return to bashing Hofstra right after he drives the Albany people insane.

But, at the risk of further igniting this war, someone mentioned scholarship transition. HU gave out it's first 15 in 1995 and added 15 per year until it eventually got up to the full allotment.

All i know, i want to beat Richmond in week three.

I'm done with the Albany crowd, there's nothing left to say to a disillusioned fan that hasn't been said already without getting personal.

Week three we shall certainly see upsets, where they come from who knows. Hopefully the DUTCHMEN can take their roster (roughly 64% from the Northeast / Mid-Atlantic states, 24% from the South, remainder from the Midwest / West), walk into the old capital of Dixie and pull of the proverbial upset in spite of the coaching.

Uncle Buck
September 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I'm done with the Albany crowd, there's nothing left to say to a disillusioned fan that hasn't been said already without getting personal.

Week three we shall certainly see upsets, where they come from who knows. Hopefully the DUTCHMEN can take their roster (roughly 64% from the Northeast / Mid-Atlantic states, 24% from the South, remainder from the Midwest / West), walk into the old capital of Dixie and pull of the proverbial upset in spite of the coaching.

While i often don't agree with what you say, yes, i think poor coaching has been HU's biggest hurdle to overcome, more so than lack of athletic ability.

Now if you'll excuse me, i have to go to my kids meet the teacher night and convince my wife i give a damn.

Here's to week 3 xthumbsupx It goes too damn fast!

andy7171
September 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Hey I've seen the "white Jerry Ball" up close and personal. I don't want to sniff that jack. Have at it BF.

On that note, I can't wait to meet you guys at the TU-HU meeting next year!

Bull Fan
September 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Andy, riding in a car with him on a long-distance drive, one has no choice but to be subjected to his...... effervescence. xsmhx

Uncle Buck, you don't agree with me because you sip the kool-aid while donning the rose-colored glasses. As Corey Hart used to say, you wear those sunglasses at night so you can so you can keep track of the visions in JoGa's eyes.

I call it the way it is; it rankles you, the wine (or is that whine) and cheese crowd and the "insider" that we know.

Uncle Buck
September 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Hey I've seen the "white Jerry Ball" up close and personal. I don't want to sniff that jack. Have at it BF.

On that note, I can't wait to meet you guys at the TU-HU meeting next year!

It'll be a long time in the making and a hell of a BBQ.