PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Have a Good Kicker?

South Carolina Duke
September 15th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Just curiuos to see if anyone has a solid kicking game. I know ours is suspect.

Gil Dobie
September 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I would say NDSU is good, except in the clutch. :(

kdinva
September 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM

Hey, we lost both our #1 kicker and punter over the summer (both had eligibility left). We've now got a R-Fr. punter (walk-on; did pretty good vs. RMU), and an invited walk-on Frosh. handling kicking duties, plus a former track athlete (who is on the FB squad during his 9th semester but kicked in HS), and a former soccer player competing for the kickoff duties.........it will be interesting (in the kicking game, at least) this Saturday nite.

RabidRabbit
September 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM
SDSU's is solid.....

And All-Conference Pre-season pick Pete Riefenrath is suspended pending whether he has taken sufficient credits toward graduation (his GPA is fine), so back-up (Kyle Harris) comes in and wins Special Team honors in the MVFC. Seem to get good kickers at SDSU. xthumbsupx

93henfan
September 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM
No.

Native
September 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I would say NDSU is good, except in the clutch. :(

xlolxxlolxxlolx

CopperCat
September 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
MSU's FG and PAT kicker was a godsend, and even our punter/kickoff guy has done rather well. I would say our kickers are among the best in the conference, which is a departure from the norm.

NHwildEcat
September 15th, 2009, 12:52 PM
UNH is doing just fine in that department!

Native
September 15th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Mike Snoy was pretty good last week for Weber State.

Against Colorado State, Snoy averaged 49.7 yards per punt, 66.2 yards per kickoff, and was 3/3 on his placekicks, including a 47-yard FG.

ASUG8
September 15th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Depends on whether we're going for 1 vs. 3 pts. PAT's don't seem to be the problem for ASU.

South Carolina Duke
September 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
We have a young kicker this year. I hope he gets his confidence up.

It is just very difficult to watch when you were used to having a dependable kicker like Stannard and Pritchard last year.

UNCBears2010
September 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
UNC's kicking game is acceptable, but nothing to write home about.

OL FU
September 15th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Solid one. not a long kicker but darn accurate from 40 yards in. xnodx

achrist70
September 15th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Billy is a good kicker, don't let the Iowa game fool you. Our backup is also probably one of the top 15 in the country he is just behind a really good kicker.

89Hen
September 15th, 2009, 01:14 PM
No.
That's only true vs one opponent. xoopsx

JALMOND
September 15th, 2009, 01:14 PM
After the Oregon State game, we had open tryouts among the team for a kicker (including the three on the roster). Zach Brown, a true freshman receiver won the competition. His first FG try against Southern Oregon was from 52 yards and he hit it. He added another 47 yarded later in the game and was good on all four extra points. I'd say we found a kicker. That 52 yarder was only three yards off the school record and was the farthest field goal made for PSU since 1987.

For those wondering, I am still trying to see if he likes his chicken fried.:D

Woof
September 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Kicking is for teams that don't go for it on 4th down !:D

Hoseinexile07
September 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Unequivocally no.

carney2
September 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Lafayette thought we had a field goal kicker (pre-season All-American) until he went 0 for 3 in the first game.

The punter has always been suspect. He needs wind and/or roll to get it beyond 35 yards.

danefan
September 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Albany has a good kicker.

Kicked a 48 yarder against GSU and had plenty of leg into a 50 yarder against UMass (just left).

Kickoffs are pretty deep too. Just a soph which is nice.

having a good kicker is a huge plus.

grizband
September 15th, 2009, 01:41 PM
MSU's FG and PAT kicker was a godsend, and even our punter/kickoff guy has done rather well. I would say our kickers are among the best in the conference, which is a departure from the norm.
The Griz kicker is improving, but has not yet reached the level of our previous two All American kickers (Snyder and Carpenter).

Purple7
September 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I went to the NCAA stats page and based on what they have listed through last weekend:
http://www.ncaa.com/statistics/index.html

Field Goals
Division: Made-Attempts, Percentage

Division I-A: 257-337, 76.26%

Division I-AA: 183-292, 62.67%

Division II: 290-421, 68.88%

Division III: 215-299, 71.91%

Ivytalk
September 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Harvard's PK Long has a strong leg and is a FG threat at 40+ yards, but has missed some PATs and shorter kicks. Kickoffs are pretty good.

Punter Hull is OK, but he'll never make you forget Ray Guy.

SUUTbird
September 15th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Our kicker plain to say is amazing so far considering what was expected out of him this year:

-Was a WR last year, beat out a Junior College transfer and a Freshman

-Ryan Griffith is 7-7 this year with a long of 42 i believe

-4/5 on Extra Points since SDSU blocked one xoopsx

We are in very good hands when it comes to our kicking game this year xthumbsupx

813Jag
September 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say better special teams would have had the Terriers in position for a huge win in Tampa. xreadx

AppIAA
September 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM
App has an amazing kicker!!

if you're cheering for the other team :(

lionsrking2
September 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM
We have a very good one in senior Jeff Turner, though he's had a rough start to the season...hopefully he'll settle down and have another All-Conference type season.

ASU_MBA
September 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
umm our kicker missed a 22 yarder against McNeese State and 4 or 5 PATs last year so I will say He$$ NO!

someone lock him in a room before the next game...

tandemlax
September 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Brian Pate, 2008 All-CAA first teamer and preseason All-American (honorable mention), hasn't had the smoothest of starts to the season. His 4 of 7 performance (1 blocked) at UVA kept the game as close as it was, and a second kick was blocked this past weekend against CCSU. Not always easy to assign blame on the blocked kicks, but he'll have ample opportunity to shine in the clutch throughout the CAA schedule and regain his position as tops in the conference.

Punting game has been a very pleasent surprise, with David Miller ( All-CAA third team last year) doing wonders for the Tribe's field positioning.

bjtheflamesfan
September 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Matt Bevins is pretty solid. He missed his first kick of the year against NCCU but had made his last 7 and came very close on the one he missed. He hasnt missed a PAT on the year. Suffice to say its a far cry from previous years when we platooned 2 or three different kickers

PhoenixSupreme
September 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Scott Riddle's our punter this year as well as our QB...really good if you want your punter to fake into a pass xthumbsupx

jmu_duke07
September 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM

How did that work out for ya?

Uncle Buck
September 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM
That's only true vs one opponent. xoopsx

While kick was a bit low, the 2 guards have to hit for the groin on the jumper, it's amazing how fast they pull their hands down. xnodx

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 15th, 2009, 11:39 PM
After 2 games our kicker, Adam Shreiner, is 13-for-13 on PAT's and 2-for-2 on FG's (26,37).

coover
September 16th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Same punter as last year ... he's good, he's bad, he's ... eh, er, inconsistent, nobody knows when he is going to be good, nobody knows when he is going to be bad. I love you Harlan, but I hope we don't have to use you.

We have two Field Goal guys. One long, one short. The short guy's accurate, the long guy is long. That is an improvement over last year when our Field Goal/PAT kicker missed, not 1, not 2, but 3 points after touchdown and we lost to Wisconsin in overtime.

SIUallDay
September 16th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Yes.

HensRock
September 16th, 2009, 04:29 AM
No.

YES! xnonox

93henfan
September 16th, 2009, 05:31 AM
YES! xnonox

Sometimes, opinion is skewed toward recency.

ASU_Fanatic
September 16th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Apps kicker missed a 22 yarder Sat. which if he hits that game goes into OT.

Cobblestone
September 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM
We're pretty strong with in that department with Feinstein.

gobluehose1
September 16th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Unequivocally no.

yea we missed from inside 25 against Furman......oh yea, and there's that 23 yarder we missed last year to lose to Western Carolina

we just don't have anyone else.

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2009, 08:30 AM
We're pretty strong with in that department with Feinstein.

The Senator's kid?:p

GSUhooligan
September 16th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Our lone bright spot IMO.

CDT_Wilson
September 16th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Billy is a good kicker, don't let the Iowa game fool you. Our backup is also probably one of the top 15 in the country he is just behind a really good kicker.

He also had four tackles and two forced fumbles against SDU on kickoffs. He put the returner on his back one of those. It got a big OOOOOOOOOO from the crowd.

The Iowa blocked field goals mostly came from a good line push up the middle and great timing on the jumper.

Gringer1
September 16th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Our lone bright spot IMO.

Adrian Mora is doing a pretty good job, being All America Honorable Mention and the SoCon special teams player of the year and Charlie Edwards does an excellent job at punting.

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 07:34 PM
For the topic at hand, we should just go for 2 every time or use fourth down to try and get the first. Our kickers can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Seawolf97
September 16th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Our Red Shirt Freshman Wesley Skiffington is perfect on the season.

3 for 3 on FG's 30,36,36 2 for 2 on PAT's. Made the Big Souths Special Teams Player of the Week this week.

appirishmen
September 16th, 2009, 08:47 PM

App does not have a good kicking game. extra points are ify and if you want 3....dont try.xoopsx

McNeese75
September 16th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust good enough xsmiley_wix

Bettina90
September 16th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Wow, SOMEONE from Richmond needs to get in here and say we like our kicker.

ODUCoach
September 17th, 2009, 07:47 AM
ODU's kicking game is one of our strengths. Hareza is 5-8 on FGs, including a 48 yarder. Plisco, the punter, is averaging 47 yards per punt, with six of the seven punts inside the opponent's 20.

JMU Newbill
September 17th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Our kicking game is great. So great in fact, we are going to choose not to use it anymore for the rest of the season and go for it on 4th down every time. On touchdowns, we will go for 2.

We will somehow manage to find a way to get around the whole "kickoff" rule.

Monarch History
September 17th, 2009, 09:01 AM
ODU's kicking game is one of our strengths. Hareza is 5-8 on FGs, including a 48 yarder. Plisco, the punter, is averaging 47 yards per punt, with six of the seven punts inside the opponent's 20.

xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Woof
September 17th, 2009, 09:03 AM
How did that work out for ya?

Pretty darn good until we got that bad spot, but no crying here... that's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes. Those were 2 pretty evenly matched teams IMHO. Hopefully we'lll get another crack at each other in the playoffs this year. xpeacex

purplepeopleeaterv2
September 17th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Pretty darn good until we got that bad spot, but no crying here... that's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes. Those were 2 pretty evenly matched teams IMHO. Hopefully we'lll get another crack at each other in the playoffs this year. xpeacex

No offense but I REALLY hope not. That was one offense that I think we really did not stop........except for the one play that really counted.:D

AppIAA
September 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I will go ahead and say it here.. we should never be running up the score this year (if the defense can make some stops first!) -- just no confidence in our kicker -- even if we're on the 5!

appirishmen
September 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust good enough xsmiley_wix

haha very true. i didnt know if that was going do go or not. but good none the less. hahaxnonono2x

skinny_uncle
September 17th, 2009, 03:10 PM
SIU kicker:

Kyle Dougherty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i18PmS5VO2E)

punter:

Scott Ravanesi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypt3WdTptBs)

We are in pretty good shape with our kickers.

bulldog10jw
September 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Tom Mante of Yale, who does all the kicking and punting, kicked a 50-yard field goal and had punts of 73 and 65 yards.

DoublePar
September 20th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Another video on youtube of the SIU kicker:

Kyle Dougherty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XQbEYCqpTA)

skinny_uncle
September 20th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Another video on youtube of the SIU kicker:

Kyle Dougherty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XQbEYCqpTA)
Sometimes you have to improvise.
:D

Old Cage
September 20th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I'm surprised that no one from UMass has posted here.

Our senior place kicker/kickoff guy, Armando Cuko, is quite strong. He has hit six so far this year with a long of 47. His kickoffs averaged 64 yards yesterday.

Our frosh punter, Caleb Violette, has punted 13 times for an average of 45 or so with a long of 61. He kicked twice yesterday for 54 average. He is a transfer from Virginia Tech and has done very well.

I certainly have no problems when either is called on.

Husky Alum
September 20th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I don't know, we don't score enough or get close enough to score to see if he's any good.

Johnson could graduate NU as the lowest scoring 4 year kicker in school history.

CID1990
September 20th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Finally, after a long time I can answer YES to this question.

South Carolina Duke
September 20th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Well, I can say that Dixon Wright improved dramatically this week. But our punting is horrible.

JMU Newbill
September 21st, 2009, 06:00 AM
Well, I can say that Dixon Wright improved dramatically this week. But our punting is horrible.

As much as I'd like to agree with you, he was kicking at home with a friendly crowd on a day full of good weather against a team that we are supposed to beat. I'll wait until we play Villanova, W&M, or Richmond to determine if he is any good or not.

Next week at Liberty will be a small test, but it would surprise me at all to see him miss another extra point next week.

straightshooter
September 21st, 2009, 06:26 AM
Adrian Mora is doing a pretty good job, being All America Honorable Mention and the SoCon special teams player of the year and Charlie Edwards does an excellent job at punting.

Mora did that as a freshman. He's a sophomore now, and inside of 50 - he's money!

aceinthehole
September 21st, 2009, 07:40 AM
Brian Pate, 2008 All-CAA first teamer and preseason All-American (honorable mention), hasn't had the smoothest of starts to the season. His 4 of 7 performance (1 blocked) at UVA kept the game as close as it was, and a second kick was blocked this past weekend against CCSU. Not always easy to assign blame on the blocked kicks, but he'll have ample opportunity to shine in the clutch throughout the CAA schedule and regain his position as tops in the conference.

Punting game has been a very pleasent surprise, with David Miller ( All-CAA third team last year) doing wonders for the Tribe's field positioning.

That kicker has one hell of a leg!

Those 2 missed FGs at CCSU were both because of very bad snaps/holds.

South Carolina Duke
September 21st, 2009, 11:01 AM
As much as I'd like to agree with you, he was kicking at home with a friendly crowd on a day full of good weather against a team that we are supposed to beat. I'll wait until we play Villanova, W&M, or Richmond to determine if he is any good or not.

Next week at Liberty will be a small test, but it would surprise me at all to see him miss another extra point next week.

Hey I will take the automatic PAT. Hopefully his confidence will improve with the FG attempts. This time without a concussion!

AS far as punting goes, we'd be better off having the punter roll out and Rugby style kick. Atleast then we'd get some roll out after the ball lands on the ground. These line drive punts with "NO HANG-TIME" are giving up too many return yards. We cannot cover this way.

Inever thought I would say this, but Pritchard punted the ball with some altitude, now it sailed out of bounds but we could cover the "return".

seantaylor
September 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
GSU's place kicking and punting game are best in the Socon.

Millwoch
September 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Finally, after a long time I can answer YES to this question.

5 of 5 on extra points and 3-3 on FGs with a long of 42 yards

Seven Would Be Nice
September 22nd, 2009, 03:29 PM

Two guys you hate to see go onto the field, but are very happy when they bail out the offense or defense.

GSU has always had decent punters, but its nice to finally get a solid FG kicker on the team. That has plagued us in years past.