PDA

View Full Version : Southland Players of the Week

smallcollegefbfan
September 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM
McNeese’s Pendland Named Southland Offensive Player of the Week
Pendland, who ran for 127 yards in an upset of Appalachian State, is joined by Sam Houston’s McCall, Antonio

FRISCO, Texas – McNeese State tailback Toddrick Pendland, who helped lead the 16th-ranked Cowboys to a 40-35 road upset at No. 2 Appalachian State on Saturday, has been named the Southland Conference Offensive Player of the Week, the league office announced Monday. Sam Houston State linebacker Luke McCall was named the conference defensive player of the week, while his teammate, kicker Miguel Antonio, was named the league’s special teams player of the week.

Offensive Player of the Week: Toddrick Pendland, McNeese State
McNeese State tailback Toddrick Pendland became the first Cowboy to run for 100 yards and catch passes for 100 yards Saturday in the victory over the Mountaineers. The senior from Newton, Texas (Newton H.S.), carried the ball 19 times for 127 yards and a touchdown and added 10 catches for 121 yards and a pair of touchdowns. He scored a total of 20 points with three touchdowns and a two-point conversion. Pendland converted several key third-and-long and fourth-down situations, including a key play on a fourth-and-7 pass from quarterback Derrick Fourroux to keep the game winning drive alive in the final minute of play.

Honorable Mention: Blake Joseph, Sam Houston State; Brian Babin, Southeastern Louisiana; and Duane Brooks, Stephen F. Austin.

Defensive Player of the Week: Luke McCall, Sam Houston State
Sam Houston State linebacker Luke McCall was his team’s leading tackler in their 48-45 victory over North Dakota State last Saturday. The senior from Corpus Christi, Texas (Calallen H.S.), recorded 12 tackles, including four solo stops and two tackles for loss. The Bearkats became only the second Southland team to beat the Bison in 10 tries.

Honorable Mention: Darrell Jenkins, McNeese State; Yashua Willis, Nicholls; Lindsey Leavoy, Southeastern Louisiana; and Kenneth Charles, Stephen F. Austin.

Special Teams Player of the Week: Miguel Antonio, Sam Houston State
In the Bearkats 48-45 victory over North Dakota State, Sam Houston State kicker Miguel Antonio went 6-for-6 on PAT and kicked field goals of 48 and 24 yards, the later providing the winning points with 26 seconds remaining in the game. The true freshman from Lovelady, Texas (Lovelady H.S.), landed six of his kickoffs inside the North Dakota 5-yard line, helping give his defense excellent field position.

Honorable Mention: Earvin Moore, Nicholls; and Jeff Turner, Southeastern Louisiana.

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 14th, 2009, 05:01 PM
k...few things that made me laugh a little.

1) No one off the SFA team (that scored a ridiculous 92 points) got considered for Offensive POTW. Oh wait...there's Brooks...but still, kinda funny. Guess I would have selected Blake Joseph (didn't get to see Babin)...but Pendeland is a pretty good choice too.

2) A SHSU player named DEFENSIVE POTW. I nearly peed my pants...allowing 45 points to another team. Then again, it's the SLC--slim pickins for defense.

TexasTerror
September 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
1) No one off the SFA team (that scored a ridiculous 92 points) got considered for Offensive POTW. Oh wait...there's Brooks...but still, kinda funny. Guess I would have selected Blake Joseph (didn't get to see Babin)...but Pendeland is a pretty good choice too.

SIDs have a clue - they know now to vote for an SFA player for Off POTW after he goes off against a sub-Div I team...

2) A SHSU player named DEFENSIVE POTW. I nearly peed my pants...allowing 45 points to another team. Then again, it's the SLC--slim pickins for defense.

Maybe the SIDs liked beating NDSU! Football POTWs are so political, perhaps that was the 'push' needed for McCall. His day wasn't bad...but yes, slim pickings, especially since beating sub-Div I teams don't do it.

lionsrking2
September 14th, 2009, 06:05 PM

I thought Pendland was an easy choice, not that Joseph wasn't deserving...Babin had an outstanding night (quarter-and-a-half) throwing the football - regardless of the opponent - but no way to justify him over the performances of the other two.

McTailGator
September 14th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I thought Pendland was an easy choice, not that Joseph wasn't deserving...Babin had an outstanding night (quarter-and-a-half) throwing the football - regardless of the opponent - but no way to justify him over the performances of the other two.

I have to say, I am very proud of Pendland, but if I were choosing, I would have given it to Derrick Fouroux. His Leadership was just awesome, and he let NOTHING phase him. He passed for over 300 yards and he completed about 70% of his passes.

Someone had to get the ball to Pendland, so my choice would be DF.

MSU_77
September 14th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I have to say, I am very proud of Pendland, but if I were choosing, I would have given it to Derrick Fouroux. His Leadership was just awesome, and he let NOTHING phase him. He passed for over 300 yards and he completed about 70% of his passes.

I have to say - I agree! Derrick was one cool customer out there on Saturday, despite the hostile environment. He is the perfect picture of a 4-year veteran leader who has seen it all and doesn't let anything faze him. I feel that if the team continues to follow Derrick's leadership, this could be a special season.

lionsrking2
September 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM

I can see that.

JohnStOnge
September 14th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Fourroux did have a couple of bad passes, you know. Like when he underthrew Friddle on the last drive when, if he'd have hit Friddle in stride, it would've been a long TD.

Of course, as I've posted before, if that would've happened App State's offense would've gotten another shot. Could it be that Fourroux intentionally made sure McNeese didn't score too quickly?

I'm joking, of course. But it really is something to think about.

JohnStOnge
September 14th, 2009, 07:01 PM
You know, I've got to say this: As good as Fouroux was, he did throw a few bad passes. Do you guys remember Edwards throwing a bad pass?

I mean, he threw it into the ground right before App State missed a field goal but the play wasn't there. He did the right thing.

That guy is amazing. He really is. App State is really blessed to have that kind of combination of athlete and efficient/accurate passer as that guy is. The guy is just incredible.

BEAR
September 14th, 2009, 07:04 PM

No Bears were on defense this week. xlolx Wait until they play the hapless WKU hilltoppers..then comes the defensive POW. xthumbsupx Maybe even the special team player of the week too. xeekx JK! xlolx

McNeese75
September 14th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Fourroux did have a couple of bad passes, you know. Like when he underthrew Friddle on the last drive when, if he'd have hit Friddle in stride, it would've been a long TD.

Of course, as I've posted before, if that would've happened App State's offense would've gotten another shot. Could it be that Fourroux intentionally made sure McNeese didn't score too quickly?

I'm joking, of course. But it really is something to think about.

xrolleyesx

http://roddzblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/glass-half-full.jpg

Tell me John, what do you see??

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Okay, you get major REP points for that one, LOL...

Great post ;)

McNeese72
September 14th, 2009, 11:00 PM
You know, I've got to say this: As good as Fouroux was, he did throw a few bad passes. Do you guys remember Edwards throwing a bad pass?

I mean, he threw it into the ground right before App State missed a field goal but the play wasn't there. He did the right thing.

That guy is amazing. He really is. App State is really blessed to have that kind of combination of athlete and efficient/accurate passer as that guy is. The guy is just incredible.

Geeeze, John. Fourroux was 25-34 for 341 yards and Edwards was 19-25 for 235yards. Fourroux had a 74% completion rate and Edwards had a 76% completion rate. Fourroux had 44 yards rushing and Edwards had 72. Fourroux had 3 TD passes, Edwards had none. Fourroux scored 1 TD rushing, Edwards scored 2. Fourroux may not be as flashy as Edwards but he definitely got it done this game.

And you are going to get fixated on a couple of bad passes that Fourroux threw????

Doc

MACHIAVELLI
September 15th, 2009, 12:30 AM
http://www.facebook.com/v/523394037980

Dallas Demon
September 15th, 2009, 12:51 AM

Yous guys have no idea what bad passes are. Pull up a chair and let me tell you... xsmhx

McNeese72
September 15th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Yous guys have no idea what bad passes are. Pull up a chair and let me tell you... xsmhx

LOL! Thanks, that gave me a laugh.

Doc

P.S. Hundley can throw a few of those when you guys play us this year.

Prominentwon
September 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM
xrolleyesx

Tell me John, what do you see??

I think that's common knowledge that he see's an empty glass. What looks like water to the rest of us is just an optical illusion thrown off by the dim light in the background. Someone needs to find water fast before we all die of thirst.

Prominentwon
September 15th, 2009, 08:45 AM

I can't believe you guys lost to Grambling.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb117/prominentwon2/th_sigh.gif

ASUG8
September 15th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Agree - kind of a coin toss between the two, but Fouroux played very well. Should have at least gotten an honorable mention IMHO.