View Full Version : SLC Predictions - Week Three

TexasTerror
September 13th, 2009, 06:18 PM
TT's Predictions
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 10-4 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 96-40 (33-22 SLC)

Southeastern Louisiana @ Ole Miss - I really do like the Lions and what they have done offensively. They have some studs on the defensive side of the ball, but this is a real good OM squad. OLE MISS

Nicholls @ Louisiana Tech - La Tech is not as good as people thought they were going to be this year and Nicholls is not as bad as people thought they would be, they're potentially worse. The Colonels are good people, Jay Thomas is still high up in my books, but LTU is going to drop at least 50. LOUISIANA TECH

Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois - We saw what Jeremy Moses can do when he hits his wide receivers. WIU is a rough n'tumble football team. They beat SHSU at home earlier this year and they'll run their record to 2-0 against the SLC. Would love to be wrong. WESTERN ILLINOIS

Texas State University - San Marcos @ Texas Christian - The Horned Frogs less than spectacular showing vs Virginia gave Bobcat fans something to be excited about. By the third quarter, they won't be excited too much. TEXAS CHRISTIAN

Central Arkansas @ Western Kentucky - The Bears are well-rested following the game vs 'bye'. Did well vs Hawaii and the Hilltoppers are having trouble getting Ws in their transition. Speaking of transitions, UCA is on their way! CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Savannah State @ McNeese State - McNeese needs to do their thing and not look past SSU to Tulane. I know we all want the Pokes to beat the Green Wave, but first things first - beat SSU! McNEESE STATE

North Dakota @ Northwestern State - QB quandry at NWST! GWFC is challenging. NORTH DAKOTA

TexasTerror
September 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM
On the subject of SLC vs FBS...which game do you think is the most likely SLC win?

This week's UCA vs WKU or next week's McNeese vs Tulane?

GeauxLions94
September 13th, 2009, 06:38 PM
On the subject of SLC vs FBS...which game do you think is the most likely SLC win?

Hey come on. You gotta give the Lions some love with about half the Ole Miss team suffering from the flu xsmiley_wix

TexasTerror
September 13th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hey come on. You gotta give the Lions some love with about half the Ole Miss team suffering from the flu xsmiley_wix

GL94, hope you get your shot before you head to Oxford!

Are you going up Friday? I was there last year for a few days - there's definitely a few good places to eat in the main square. I ate at some great pizza place and there was also this very popular rib place too. ;)

JohnStOnge

UCA vs. WKU. McNeese had a great win last week but nothing happened to suggest that the Cowboys still don't have problems on defense. I mean, nothing happened to suggest the opposite either because Appalachian State has a great offense. But Tulane has some pretty good players on the front four. Tulane is almost certainly better than Western Kentucky.

Believe me, I'm reasonably hopeful with respect to McNeese beating Tulane after the way the Cowboy offense played against Appalachian State. But if you ask me which is more likely I'm going to say Central Arkansas vs. Western Kentucky.

TxState_GO_CATS!
MY RECORD THUS FAR: 11-3

Southeastern Louisiana @ Ole Miss - The Rebs are kinda good...once they figure it out, they'll get past the Lions. Rebs 38-10

Nicholls @ Louisiana Tech - What the hell is going on Nicholls? Lose by 72 to Air Force and BARELY beating Duquesne? Come on...La Tech by a bunch...56-7

Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois - SFA > SHSU. The Jack offense is killer, but their defense may be steppin up. Moses' INTs are still a lil high for 2 games, but his accuracy (67%) is much better. Western's only chance is to keep the ball for 40+ minutes and even then...SFA 42-21

Texas State University @ Texas Christian - I don't know where Terror's getting his info about TxSt fans' view on TCU's last game, but I personally was lookin at that defense and man...I just hope we score. Sorry 'Cat fans...hope Patterson calls off the dogs by the end of the 3rd. Frogs 42-3

Central Arkansas @ Western Kentucky - This one could be an upset. COULD. I think UCA won't be overlooked by the 'Toppers bc of their performance vs. Hawaii AND the fact that WKU knows all about what it's like to be a I-AA/FCS team hungry for an upset. Toppers in a squeeeeeaker 21-20

Savannah State @ McNeese State - McNeese starts their second string and let's their starters attend a "voluntary" tape session of Tulane. McNugget 2nd Teamers stiff arm the Tigers 49-0

North Dakota @ Northwestern State - I'll go with the Demons here. They've gotta be pissed about the Grambling game. Demons 24-17

GeauxLions94
September 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Southeastern Louisiana @ Ole Miss - If Brian Babin had only played in the Lions' game last season at Mississippi State, it could have been much different. Even with the flu, Ole Miss is not last year's Bulldog squad. Rebels, who open SEC play the following Thursday against the Ole Ball Coach, will have enough to improve to 2-0 on the year. OLE MISS

Nicholls @ Louisiana Tech - Nicholls struggled against a Duquesne team in its home opener and has to go back on the FBS train. While a 72-0 beatdown would be a huge surprise, the Colonels will have a hard time keeping LaTech off the scoreboard. LOUISIANA TECH

Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois - SFA comes off the biggest upset in college football history - a 92-0 win over Texas - oh wait, Texas College. Nevermind. Hope they left enough points in the playbook as the competition gets a lot better this week than the Longhorns (err Steers). A nice OOC game for both teams and I like the visitors to pull an upset here. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Texas State @ Texas Christian - Cats look to pull the upset in Fort Worth, but TCU has other plans as its defense looks to create havoc. TCU

Central Arkansas @ Western Kentucky - After losses to Tennessee and South Florida, the Hilltoppers look to notch a win under its belt. It won't be easy as a tanned and well-rested Clint Conque and Co. come into Bowling Green. Chalk up another FCS win over the (cough, cough) FBS. UPSET SPECIAL OF THE WEEK - CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Savannah State @ McNeese State - The McJekyll and McHyde Cowboys through the first two weeks come back down the mountain after its big win in ArmantiVille. Look for the Cowboys, who face Tulane next week in Nawlins, to have no trouble against SSU. McNEESE STATE

North Dakota at Northwestern State - So far, the Peveto Promise hasn't been too good with losses at FBS Houston and FCS Grambling. It's the home opener for the Demons and with Baylor and Central Arkansas coming up next on the schedule, this is a must win for the Demons. North Dakota will give them fits, but I like the home team in a close game. NORTHWESTERN STATE

2009 Record: 10-4

JohnStOnge
September 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM

If it happens, great. But you're still talking about a team picked to contend for the SEC West title. Tulane and Western Kentucky are FBS bottom feeders. Especially Western Kentucky.

GeauxLions94
September 13th, 2009, 06:57 PM
If it happens, great. But you're still talking about a team picked to contend for the SEC West title. Tulane and Western Kentucky are FBS bottom feeders. Especially Western Kentucky.

I was just given TT some ribbin. Ole Miss looked pretty scary in the fourth quarter against Memphis and we're going to have to play perfect to make it a game, even if over 30 guys are out right now with the flu.

And I view Tulane as the bottom feeder. I really like McNeese's chances in two weeks.

GeauxLions94
September 13th, 2009, 07:03 PM
TT's Predictions

Southeastern Louisiana @ Ole Miss - I really do like the Lions and what they have done offensively. They have some studs on the defensive side of the ball, but this is a real good OM squad. OLE MISS

Nicholls @ Louisiana Tech - La Tech is not as good as people thought they were going to be this year and Nicholls is not as bad as people thought they would be, they're potentially worse. The Colonels are good people, Jay Thomas is still high up in my books, but LTU is going to drop at least 50. LOUISIANA TECH

Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois - We saw what Jeremy Moses can do when he hits his wide receivers. WIU is a rough n'tumble football team. They beat SHSU at home earlier this year and they'll run their record to 2-0 against the SLC. Would love to be wrong. WESTERN ILLINOIS

Texas State University - San Marcos @ Texas Christian - The Horned Frogs less than spectacular showing vs Virginia gave Bobcat fans something to be excited about. By the third quarter, they won't be excited too much. TEXAS CHRISTIAN

Central Arkansas @ Western Kentucky - The Bears are well-rested following the game vs 'bye'. Did well vs Hawaii and the Hilltoppers are having trouble getting Ws in their transition. Speaking of transitions, UCA is on their way! CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Savannah State @ McNeese State - McNeese needs to do their thing and not look past SSU to Tulane. I know we all want the Pokes to beat the Green Wave, but first things first - beat SSU! McNEESE STATE

Hey, you forgot about North Dakota at Northwestern State.

NSUDemon98
September 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM
TT's Predictions

LaTech over Nicholls
SFA over WIU
TCU over TxSt
UCA over "FBS" WKU
McNeese over Savannah State
UND over NSU - Until our QB learns to complete a pass of more than 10 yds. we won't win a game.

JohnStOnge
September 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Southeastern Louisiana @ Ole Miss - To my knowledge there's been only one case in history in which a team that was in the SEC at the time lost to a I-AA/FCS; and that was when Mississippi State lost to Maine in 2004. That was a MSU team that finished 3-8; 2-6 in the SEC. I don't think Ole Miss is a team that's going to go 3-8 overall or 2-6 in the SEC. I'd love it if it happens, but I don't think there's any way it's going to regardless of any health problems Ole Miss may have. Ole Miss

Nicholls @ Louisiana Tech - You know, Duquesne may not be that bad. The Dukes did beat a team (Bucknell) from an automatic qualifier league (Patriot) in their first game. However, Nicholls State only got 218 yards of offense against Duquesne. Duquesne had 341 total yards and 22 first downs to Nicholls State's 8. Nicholls State scored the winning TD on a 63 yard run on a fake punt; which means that the Colonels' offense really only generated 155 yards. Louisiana Tech

Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois - I'm going to go with Western Illinois because the Leathernecks are playing at home.

Texas State University - San Marcos @ Texas Christian - Easy one. Texas Christian. Anybody who thinks TCU struggled with Virginia needs to read the game story at http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recap?gid=200909120008 . TCU's defense completely smothered the Cavaliers. Virginia was held to 177 total yards and 7 first downs. The score was 30-0 before Virginia scored a couple of TDs in the 4th quarter to make it look a little better. And, by the way, those two 4th quarter TDs came on two plays that added up to 82 of Virginia's total yards; which means the Cavs had less than 100 yards total offense before garbage time.

Central Arkansas @ Western Kentucky - I am really pulling for UCA and I think this game is pretty close to a toss up but I'll go with Western Kentucky playing at home.

Savannah State @ McNeese State - Well...I think McNeese can now be characterized as "unpredictable." But Savannah State has been so bad in recent years that one has to go with the Cowboys.

North Dakota @ Northwestern State - This is kind of a tough one but I'm kind of impressed by how North Dakota played Texas Tech in its only game. There was a point in the fourth quarter where the score was only 28-13. Plus Northwestern State, to my recollection, has had problems with Great West teams. North Dakota

TexasTerror
September 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Hey, you forgot about North Dakota at Northwestern State.

I sure did - sorry. Updated...

I copied and pasted bad from Notepad. Sure enough, NWST is still there when I uncovered it from under my other windows!

Prominentwon
September 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
UCA vs. WKU. McNeese had a great win last week but nothing happened to suggest that the Cowboys still don't have problems on defense. I mean, nothing happened to suggest the opposite either because Appalachian State has a great offense. But Tulane has some pretty good players on the front four. Tulane is almost certainly better than Western Kentucky.

Believe me, I'm reasonably hopeful with respect to McNeese beating Tulane after the way the Cowboy offense played against Appalachian State. But if you ask me which is more likely I'm going to say Central Arkansas vs. Western Kentucky.

Alright, I had the same frame of mind as you did, but I've changed my tune since last week. The defense did exceptional against a team like App. St. What would you expect against a team like that? Holding them to 120 yards overall?

I disagree with what you said. The defense showed exceptional improvement and exceptional athleticism to keep up with these guys. Even forced turnovers.

IMO, I'm not looking past SSU, but the Tulane game is looking better and better. Because to be honest, Tulane has looked exceptionally terrible.

BEAR
September 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Ole Miss v Southeastern Louisiana Ole Miss by 21
Louisiana Tech v Nicholls La Tech by 21
Northwestern State v North Dakota State NDSU by 3
Western Illinois v Stephen F. Austin SFA by 7
TCU v Texas State TCU by 21
Western Kentucky v Central Arkansas UCA by 21
McNeese State v Savannah St. McNeese by 21
Sam Houston v. Bye U. Bye U. by 21 xlolx

Dallas Demon
September 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM
LaTech over Nicholls - LaTech wins by at least 2 TDs
SFA over WIU - SFA gets the nod over WIU in a high-scoring matchup
TCU over TxSt - TCU wins easily, they are very good
WKU over UCA - UCA is better than WKU, but WKU will win by a small margin
McNeese over Savannah State - The Cowboys could pick a team of forum posters from McNeese and beat Savannah State
NSU over UND - I'm hopeful we can turn it around this week, plus I don't want to drive 5 hours for nothing.

Hood
September 13th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Man I hope the Louisiana Tech game doesn't get too out of hand. Worse comes to worse I do have a nice hotel room. I can just go crash there.

LIONFAN85
September 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I have had many friends go to Tulane and even they admit Tulane football is and has been a joke for about 7 to 8 years now. Some have told me they would rather drop football than have seasons with 2-3 wins a year. They should get out of conference USA those teams are getting to a different level than they are. Also they need to stop with TV games with 3,000 people in the Dome. I say McNeese has triple their fans in 2 weeks and McNeese wins.

msusig
September 14th, 2009, 08:57 AM
xrulesx
LaTech over Nicholls
SFA over WIU
TCU over TxSt
UCA over WKU
McNeese over Savannah State
NSU over UND

TexasTerror
September 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I have had many friends go to Tulane and even they admit Tulane football is and has been a joke for about 7 to 8 years now. Some have told me they would rather drop football than have seasons with 2-3 wins a year. They should get out of conference USA those teams are getting to a different level than they are. Also they need to stop with TV games with 3,000 people in the Dome. I say McNeese has triple their fans in 2 weeks and McNeese wins.

What will be really embarrassing is when and if UNO adds football. They would pass up Tulane handily if you ask me...both on the field and off.

Of course, you got to admit that UNO has done well in Tulane's primary sport of baseball without the facilities. What happens if they had nearly similar facilities?

Tulane announced attendance in the 20s against BYU... xnonono2x

MSU_77
September 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM
McNeese over Savannah State - The Cowboys could pick a team of forum posters from McNeese and beat Savannah State.

I don't THINK so. Have you SEEN our forum posters?? xeekx xlolx

McNeese75
September 14th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Nicholls vs La Tech
SFA vs WIU
TxSt vs TCU
UCA vs WKU
McNeese vs Savannah State
Northwestern St. vs UND

Dallas Demon
September 15th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I don't THINK so. Have you SEEN our forum posters?? xeekx xlolx

Well, let's see: Buck is a good leader and could be the QB, you have Jay who could be the snarly lineman/linebacker/occasional fullback, there's the sneaky/deceptive Doc at scatback/receiver/computer hacker, Kenny in the stands ringing his cowbell, Andy a staple on the line, Mike the stellar receiver, Chris V. the defensive tackle/team attorney, Retro the cornerback/team jersey provider, oldpokeshome the resurging safety, McTailgater the team cook, JohnstOnge the team analyst, Zem the team scout, LongTimePoke the other star receiver, Crossfire the mascot on a motorcycle (like the Montana mascot), Ghost the sneaky Demon spy, Roamingpoke the bruising runningback, McBeat the reporter, VoiceOfMSU (I suppose the Voice of MSU), Simba the running back, EDAW at defensive end, Pneck the kicker, Tuba the Tuba Player, and NSUSON98 directing the band playing the Demon fight song, and so on and so on and so on.

FormerPokeCenter
September 15th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I like that..."Snarly"......I may have to change my screenname to SnarlyPokeCenter ;)

NSUDemon98
September 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Well, let's see: Buck is a good leader and could be the QB, you have Jay who could be the snarly lineman/linebacker/occasional fullback, there's the sneaky/deceptive Doc at scatback/receiver/computer hacker, Kenny in the stands ringing his cowbell, Andy a staple on the line, Mike the stellar receiver, Chris V. the defensive tackle/team attorney, Retro the cornerback/team jersey provider, oldpokeshome the resurging safety, McTailgater the team cook, JohnstOnge the team analyst, Zem the team scout, LongTimePoke the other star receiver, Crossfire the mascot on a motorcycle (like the Montana mascot), Ghost the sneaky Demon spy, Roamingpoke the bruising runningback, McBeat the reporter, VoiceOfMSU (I suppose the Voice of MSU), Simba the running back, EDAW at defensive end, Pneck the kicker, Tuba the Tuba Player, and NSUSON98 directing the band playing the Demon fight song, and so on and so on and so on.

Like a real crappy version of the A Team. FormerPokeCenter pities the fool!

leatherneck177
September 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Can someone shed some light on SFA for me? I'm aware of their QB, I saw him play two years ago in Macomb. He looks like he can really spread it around.

Do they have a lot returning? How about their defense? Was the SMU game a good measuring stick?

Hood
September 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM

I would buy tickets to see this. Make it happen. Please.xpeacex

geauxpokes
September 15th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Fortunately or unfortunately as the case may be McTailgator no longer cooks for us as he is too busy kissing the Queens rearend lately so I have taken over...lol!!
xthumbsupx

NSUDemon98
September 15th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Fortunately or unfortunately as the case may be McTailgator no longer cooks for us as he is too busy kissing the Queens rearend lately so I have taken over...lol!!
xthumbsupx

Drag Queens?

Dallas Demon
September 15th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Drag Queens?

xlolx

McNeese72
September 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Drag Queens?

Nah! The real "God Save the Queen" Queen. Job has him in the U.K.

Doc

El Gato
September 15th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Southeastern Louisiana @ No.5 Ole Miss. Ole Miss by 53

Nicholls @ Louisiana Tech LA Tech by 48

Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois WIU by 10

Texas State University@ No. 15 Texas Christian University ..TCU

Central Arkansas@ Western Kentucky UCA by 3

Savannah State@ McNeese State MSU by 30

North Dakota @ Northwestern State NDSU by 17

Week 1: 7-1
Week 2: 4-2

Overall: 11-3

Doesn't look like a good week for the SLC. UCA definitely has a shot at an FBS win,and as much as the homer in me wants to pick the Cats over the Horned Frogs the odds on TCU's side. However, I will not dismiss the possibility of an upset either. SELA at No. 5 Ole Miss is much more out of reach however. Let's see how this plays out...

F'N Hawks
September 16th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Southeastern Louisiana @ No.5 Ole Miss. Ole Miss by 53

Nicholls @ Louisiana Tech LA Tech by 48

Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois WIU by 10

Texas State University@ No. 15 Texas Christian University ..TCU

Central Arkansas@ Western Kentucky UCA by 3

Savannah State@ McNeese State MSU by 30

North Dakota @ Northwestern State NDSU by 17

Overall: 11-3

Doesn't look like a good week for the SLC. UCA definitely has a shot at an FBS win,and as much as the homer in me wants to pick the Cats over the Horned Frogs the odds on TCU's side. However, I will not dismiss the possibility of an upset either. SELA at No. 5 Ole Miss is much more out of reach however. Let's see how this plays out...

C'mon now!

NSUDemon98
September 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Nah! The real "God Save the Queen" Queen. Job has him in the U.K.

Doc

Ah, no wonder he hasn't been beating his chest and raising hell on the message boards. :D

McTailGator
September 17th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Ah, no wonder he hasn't been beating his chest and raising hell on the message boards. :D

I'm Baaaaaack!

Almost...

In Chicago for another week.

NSUDemon98
September 17th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I'm Baaaaaack!

Almost...

In Chicago for another week.

I guess your ears were burning...;)

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2009, 06:28 PM
FYI - if anyone wants to watch La Tech vs Nicholls (http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-louisiana-tech.html).

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Southland scores...

Louisiana Tech 20-3 NICHOLLS, 13:57 3Q
Texas Christian 28-14 TEXAS ST-SAN MARCOS, Half
North Dakota 16-6 NORTHWESTERN STATE, Half
CENTRAL ARKANSAS 14-7 Western Ketncuky, Half
STEPHEN F AUSTIN 20-14 Western Illinois, 9:10 2Q
Ole Miss 17-0 SOUTHEASTERN LA, 6:24 2Q
McNEESE STATE 28-0 Savannah State, 12:56 2Q

Guess McNeese is trying to show that they are not overlooking Savannah State. 28 points in the first quarter.

Hood
September 19th, 2009, 11:55 PM
might be a long season in Thibodaux.

Florida State just blasted BYU. Our opponent next week is Jacksonville state and they gave FSU all they could handle.

I'm a nervous Colonel fan. And the rest of you guys look great on paper and in game action.

BEAR
September 20th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Final Scores: (Let's see if TT will leave me a negative if I post them) :p

Louisiana Tech 48-13 NICHOLLS
Texas Christian 56-21 TEXAS ST
North Dakota 27-20 NORTHWESTERN STATE
CENTRAL ARKANSAS 28-7 Western Kentucky
STEPHEN F AUSTIN 40-30 Western Illinois
Ole Miss 52-6 SOUTHEASTERN LA
McNEESE STATE 56-0 Savannah State

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2009, 07:53 AM
We'll take a 6-1 week!

TT's Predictions
2009 Record: 16-5 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 102-41 (33-22 SLC)

NSUDemon98
September 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately I got all my Week 3 picks correct. NSU finally has a QB...threw for 311 yards and 3 TDs but now penalties and mistakes in crucial situations is the name of the game.

El Gato
September 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Southeastern Louisiana @ No.5 Ole Miss. Ole Miss by 53/Actual: Ole Miss by 46(they scored 52 on them, so pretty close either way)

Nicholls @ Louisiana Tech LA Tech by 48/Actual: LAT by 35 (they did score 48 though!)

Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois WIU by 10/Actual SFA by 10 (right spread, wrong team)

Texas State University@ No. 15 Texas Christian University ..TCU/Actual TCU (great game by the Cats none the less)

Central Arkansas@ Western Kentucky UCA by 3/Actual UCA by 21 (not even close on that one, but did predict the W for the Bears!)

Savannah State@ McNeese State MSU by 30/ Actual MSU by 56

North Dakota @ Northwestern State NDSU by 17/ Actual NDSU by 7 (hey, I got the 7 part correct)

Week 3: 6-1

Overall: 17-4