PDA

View Full Version : Whats happening at GSU

WOCO
September 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I thought GSU was supposed to be pretty good this year. Not trying to talk smack. Just trying to figure out what is going on with them.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 13th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Part of it is that we just can't seem to connect on downfield passes and that we have a minimal running threat. The other part of it is that SDSU probably has the best OL in the FCS and a good defensive line as well. IMO they are the second best team in the MVC behind the team that I think is the best team in the FCS.

CrunchGriz
September 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Part of it is that we just can't seem to connect on downfield passes and that we have a minimal running threat. The other part of it is that SDSU probably has the best OL in the FCS and a good defensive line as well. IMO they are the second best team in the MVC behind the team that I think is the best team in the FCS.

Until a few years ago, who ever thought they'd hear that comment from a GSU fan?

What percentage of the GSU faithful wants a return to the vaunted running attack you had back in the day?

DPardue
September 13th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Simply put there were too many people drinking the Statesboro Kool Aid.

jmc_jackrabbit
September 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I was at the game. GSU has some good young players, but SDSU's experienced players and physical play just knocked them off their game.

Seriously, there are 78 freshmen and sophomores on GSU's roster. They'll get a lot better. But you don't learn the spread overnight, and those young players need some time to develop. I hope they can hang with Coach Hatcher for a couple more years. I'd like to see what they can do with some more experience.

Plus, SDSU is pretty good.

WOCO
September 13th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I was at the game. GSU has some good young players, but SDSU's experienced players and physical play just knocked them off their game.

Seriously, there are 78 freshmen and sophomores on GSU's roster. They'll get a lot better. But you don't learn the spread overnight, and those young players need some time to develop. I hope they can hang with Coach Hatcher for a couple more years. I'd like to see what they can do with some more experience.

Me Tooxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxsmiley_wix

Gringer1
September 13th, 2009, 01:41 PM
The O line seems to be what did us in. The defense played tough in the first half, but they got tired. You can't expect the defense to carry a team for 4 quarters. After we lost to Wofford and App by 1 and Elon by 2 last year, I was upset. After this, I'm just numb. This could be a very long season and that's really not what GSU needs right now.

kdinva
September 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM

IF Coach Hatcher is indeed given the time and resources to get his players in there, GSU will be fine, again.

I wonder what Mike Sewak is thinking this morning?xcoffeex

JohnStOnge
September 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Well...you might not be surprised at what I'm going to say because you've seen me say it in the past. The Georgia Southern administration tried to fix something that wasn't broken (i.e., Georgia Southern's offensive approach) after the 2005 playoff game. They moved away from a system that had served the program well for a long time and was clearly still working. It's what defined Georgia Southern and largely made the Eagle program what it was. It was one of the things that made the program special and successful.

Now they're just trying to be like everybody else; when it was being different that got them 6 national championships and all those playoff appearances.

blazrdog#1
September 13th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I feel sorry for GSwho....when they are weak then a victory over them is not as significant.It ,also, makes the conference strength of schedule weak for this year.It ,again, proves that the pointy heads NEED to keep their arses in the admin. bldg. and out of the athletic dept. at ANY of our sister schools!!!!!xnonoxxnonoxxoopsxxoopsxxmadxxmadx

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Same with App. You'd be a fool to look past GSU because they traveled half way across country and got beat soundly by a good team.

McNeese75
September 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Them rabbits are salty at home xnodx

ChickenMan
September 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM
GSU has become the Nebraska of the FCS.. Frank Solich was fired because he wasn't Tom Osborne.. even though he went 58-19. Mike Sewak was fired because he wasn't Paul Johnson.. even though he was 35-14. Neither of those once outstanding programs has been anywhere near the same since.

hippy@GSU
September 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Well...you might not be surprised at what I'm going to say because you've seen me say it in the past. The Georgia Southern administration tried to fix something that wasn't broken (i.e., Georgia Southern's offensive approach) after the 2005 playoff game. They moved away from a system that had served the program well for a long time and was clearly still working. It's what defined Georgia Southern and largely made the Eagle program what it was. It was one of the things that made the program special and successful.

Now they're just trying to be like everybody else; when it was being different that got them 6 national championships and all those playoff appearances.

You are 100% correct. I often think about the mess that happened in 2005, and can't help but feel broken inside. The AD, Sam Baker, killed the program and his head should roll.

It is about time for a revolution to start in Statesboro because people are getting fed up with Baker's ineptitude.

You have no idea how much it hurts to think of what the program would be like if GSU had kept the option. It certainly couldn't have been worse than the cluster ***** that has gone on since.

parr90
September 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I still think we will be fine withen a couple years but this is hard to watch. Its one thing to have 1 or 2 bad seasons but this is rediculous. Its also hard watching knowing you have good talent but still cant get out of the guter.

RabidRabbit
September 13th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Them rabbits are salty at home xnodx

At least Rabbits didn't get stewed, like Cowboys rustled up last year! xwhistlexxwhistlex

93henfan
September 13th, 2009, 08:52 PM

Wow, I almost thought you were talking about another school for a second, until I didn't see "Wing-T" or "timely QB transfer" mentioned.

89rabbit
September 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I'm going with South Dakota State University is a very good football team! xnodx

UNIFanSince1983
September 13th, 2009, 09:21 PM
GSU has become the Nebraska of the FCS.. Frank Solich was fired because he wasn't Tom Osborne.. even though he went 58-19. Mike Sewak was fired because he wasn't Paul Johnson.. even though he was 35-14. Neither of those once outstanding programs has been anywhere near the same since.

I like this, and think it is very true.

Plus it doesn't hurt that the Jacks are gonna be tough one for anybody this year!

McNeese75
September 14th, 2009, 12:59 AM
At least Rabbits didn't get stewed, like Cowboys rustled up last year! xwhistlexxwhistlex

Well, before Saturday the SDSU vs McNeese contest last year was my favorite all time game. xnodx

OL FU
September 14th, 2009, 06:45 AM

xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
September 14th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I'm going with South Dakota State University is a very good football team! xnodx

They will be MVFC champs when the smoke clears.

gsu1moretime
September 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM
The defense of line is small and not that fast. we dont have that great of a linebaking core. The secondary is suspectable for big plays.

Our offense is ok.. Chappelle is good with good wr. BUT we have NO experience or major talents like we did last year with Tim Camp and Raja andrews. Our only returning wr is out from academics Leander Barney. We have a TE playing wr is Sumner and a few true freshmen trying to step up but arent. We have a slot receiver at running back in adam urbano. and we have 2-3 great running backs that never touch the field like Zeke Rozier. Are OL is huge and the biggest stregth on the team. LET THEM BLOCK. RUN THE BALL. GSU can not win passing with the inexperience at the WR core...

The team is young but the recruitement overall is very bad at GSU in my opinoin with size and depth. but as coach hatcher says "we are going to be exciting and fun to watch"(just for the other teams fans to watch)

Big Al
September 14th, 2009, 11:28 AM
They will be MVFC champs when the smoke clears.

Looks to be smoky through at least this next year. :p

Seven Would Be Nice
September 14th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I wonder what Mike Sewak is thinking this morning?xcoffeex

He's thinking about Miami.

OL FU
September 14th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I didn't buy into the few that said this was GSU's year that they made it back to the top but I have a hard time buying that they are that bad ( I could be wrong). I didn't see the game, but it seems to me that SDSU may be better than a lot of people thought and it might be a case that once the ball starts rolling down hill it is difficult to stop. I have seen some good teams get blown out by more than they should have. I still think GSU is probably 5th or 6th place in the SoCon but we need to see how they recover next week.

claydus
September 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I didn't see the game, but it seems to me that SDSU may be better
FYI our defense can make any horrid offense look great. See Albany game. SDSU is not that good. Georgia Southern is that bad. 3-3-5 is joke and undersized at every defensive position.

OL FU
September 14th, 2009, 02:41 PM
FYI our defense can make any horrid offense look great. See Albany game. SDSU is not that good. Georgia Southern is that bad. 3-3-5 is joke and undersized at every defensive position.

Well I'll take your word for it. Except for the SDSU part of not being that good. I will wait and see on that one.

Eaglesrus
September 14th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Not defending our defense, but we can't say that our defensive line is small; two of the starters are 311 and 300 lbers. Unfortunately we are playing a three man line and all of the linebackers are small (with the exception of one 240 lb. second stringer). In any case, size doesn't necessarily mean much as we have proven in years past, and saying that this allignment isn't working for us so far would certainly be an understatement.

parr90
September 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM
The defense of line is small and not that fast. we dont have that great of a linebaking core. The secondary is suspectable for big plays.

Our offense is ok.. Chappelle is good with good wr. BUT we have NO experience or major talents like we did last year with Tim Camp and Raja andrews. Our only returning wr is out from academics Leander Barney. We have a TE playing wr is Sumner and a few true freshmen trying to step up but arent. We have a slot receiver at running back in adam urbano. and we have 2-3 great running backs that never touch the field like Zeke Rozier. Are OL is huge and the biggest stregth on the team. LET THEM BLOCK. RUN THE BALL. GSU can not win passing with the inexperience at the WR core...

The team is young but the recruitement overall is very bad at GSU in my opinoin with size and depth. but as coach hatcher says "we are going to be exciting and fun to watch"(just for the other teams fans to watch)

Are you saying our D-line is small and slow or SDST's was? Because we run a 3-4 now and two of our 3 down lineman are over 300 lbs and the end is 250 and they all move well. Our linebackers are very good but very young although they werent good saturday. Just curious who you were refering to.

RabidRabbit
September 14th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Looks to be smoky through at least this next year. :p

The UNI & SIU games in Brookings will be huge. Both bring very complete, experienced teams to Brookings. It will be interesting how everybody is injury wise.

The SDSU/UNI game is the Panthers' third straight game vs the top teams in the MVFC, and their second playing in a homecoming game. The winner of the Jacks Panthers game is likely to be the MVFC auto-bid winner.

cowbellnation
September 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM

FYI, I for one am getting tired of being belittled by some GSU fans on here. All us SDSU fans listened to all last week on AGS from GSU fans was how we were 10 point underdogs to the Eagles, and how they were gonna come up to Brookings and beat us. Then we absolutely crush you in every aspect of the game, and all you can say is SDSU is not that good. I happen to think and many others on this board seem to think that SDSU has a pretty damn good team this year. So why don't you just except that we beat you because we are that much better than you this year. Not because your terrible defense makes not as terrible teams look good.

Sorry AGS community I'm off my soapbox now, but I felt a SDSU fan needed to step up and say something.

Green26
September 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I was wondering if they were distracted by the fans desire to move to I-A. I believe Montana fans are offbase for wanting to move up, and delusional for thinking UM could become a good I-A team immediately (or even compete), but the current GSU situation seems totally ridiculous to me.

soweagle
September 14th, 2009, 03:49 PM
FYI, I for one am getting tired of being belittled by some GSU fans on here. All us SDSU fans listened to all last week on AGS from GSU fans was how we were 10 point underdogs to the Eagles, and how they were gonna come up to Brookings and beat us. Then we absolutely crush you in every aspect of the game, and all you can say is SDSU is not that good. I happen to think and many others on this board seem to think that SDSU has a pretty damn good team this year. So why don't you just except that we beat you because we are that much better than you this year. Not because your terrible defense makes not as terrible teams look good.

Sorry AGS community I'm off my soapbox now, but I felt a SDSU fan needed to step up and say something.

Not all GSU fans think SDSU is a bad team and not all GSU fans were thinking we were a 10 point favorite. Heck, some on the GSU board think the rabitts can win it all this year. I think that is a stretch, but make no mistake about it, there are many GSU fans who are impressed with your team. Did we make you look better than you really are? Possibly, but you still have a dang good team.

I never dreamed we would win this game but I never dreamed we would get blown out as bad as we did. GSU is not a good team while SDSU is. I don't want to take anything away from SDSU at all. Are you NC contenders? Doubtful but certainly possible.

GATA
September 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM

I've been saying the same thing since 2006. Both programs (GSU and Nebraska) destroyed by retarded athletic directors with something to prove. It's pretty sickening.

GATA
September 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM

You're absolutely right. That was just a comment by one of our (many) retarded fans with no sense.

Any moron could see that SDSU has been getting better and better since GSU first played them in 2004. My how the tables have turned. Now GSU isn't exactly the power they were in 2004, but SDSU is WAY better. You guys have a legit football team.

JDC325
September 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM
The AD hit the reset button on playoff powerhouse program and we are trying to claw are way back up. We had a tiny leak and our AD tried to renovate the whole house....xsmhx

On the bright sided we still have a good FCS foundation and there is not a shortage of talent in the state. GSU will be back no doubt when is the question.

gsu1moretime
September 14th, 2009, 11:04 PM
who is 300? thats a lie whatever it says... on the program. and the 3-3-5 sucks.. 2 years ago we were a 4-3? what happened to that our d was decent then

seantaylor
September 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM
who is 300? thats a lie whatever it says... on the program. and the 3-3-5 sucks.. 2 years ago we were a 4-3? what happened to that our d was decent then

Harrell and Russell are 300+

gsu1moretime
September 15th, 2009, 10:03 PM
brent russel is not 300 maybe 270.. harrell maybe but doesnt play much

Baldy
September 15th, 2009, 10:20 PM
brent russel is not 300 maybe 270.. harrell maybe but doesnt play much

Umm, Harrell is a starter, and Russell is 300 lbs according to the depth chart, sorry.

ASU_Fanatic
September 16th, 2009, 06:34 AM
GSU just sucks its plain and simple.

gsugt1
September 16th, 2009, 08:17 AM
GSU just sucks its plain and simple.

At least we aren't 0-2.

Bull Fan
September 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Ga Southern, Delaware, Hofstra (though without the playoff success of GSU or UD), etc. Move away from a system that works, and it bites you in the ass. It's all about new administrators and coaches putting their own stamps on their respective programs.

Granted, with sustained success at the I-AA level, coaches (or their assistants) are destined for greener pastures and it forces change (in the case of P. Johnson), or in the case of UD and Hofstra, retiring HC's.

I will fully admit that I am / was a closet GSU fan (second after Hofstra) going back to 2000 when we were able to witness their system and the athletes they put on the field. I hope for the Eagle faithful, they revisit that approach. Next to a wide-open run and shoot offense, I love a good option attack.

gsu1moretime
September 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM
yea the depth cart also said jayson foster was 5'8 180 hahaha...