PDA

View Full Version : Pay Coach Bailiff Web Site

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2005, 09:13 AM
The Bobcat faithful in San Marcos have opened up a web site urging the university to take action and lock Bailiff down. Has links and information on how to give directly to the athletic department to help them do the job.

Bobcats had a helluva year this year and they want to stay that way for years to come. National power in the making or a school that shows up to dance every now and then? We'll see. They only have one season in the books of note...

http://www.paycb.com/

DinoDex200
December 12th, 2005, 09:19 AM
They don't pay him? No wonder he called 3 kneel downs at the end of regulation... :xmas:

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2005, 09:20 AM
They don't pay him? No wonder he called 3 kneel downs at the end of regulation... :xmas:

I think he gets in the $115,000 to $125,000 range...which would make him the highest paid I-AA coach in Texas and probably the SLC...

Coaches in the SWAC make more than if not equal to that in some cases with far worse results (TxSo and PVA&M)...

OL FU
December 12th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Not to be a downer, but it is almost and impossible task to keep a coach in I-AA if they are looking to go. $100,000-$150,000 comp package compared to millions. Good luck.

FU's last coach left Furman for Vandy (not exactly the highest paying job in the SEC) and his comp increased five fold.

bluehenbillk
December 12th, 2005, 09:43 AM
If those #'s are right the SLC sounds like the Wal-Mart of the coaching world. There are D-2 coaches that make that.

89Hen
December 12th, 2005, 09:51 AM
I think he gets in the $115,000 to $125,000 range...which would make him the highest paid I-AA coach in Texas and probably the SLC...
I assume you meant lowest?

FU97
December 12th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Not to be a downer, but it is almost and impossible task to keep a coach in I-AA if they are looking to go. $100,000-$150,000 comp package compared to millions. Good luck.

FU's last coach left Furman for Vandy (not exactly the highest paying job in the SEC) and his comp increased five fold.

Yeah, when even lowly 1A schools like Vandy pay mroe than $500,000 for a coach, its hard to pay a guy enough to stay around long.

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2005, 11:16 AM
I assume you meant lowest?

Nope, I don't mean lowest, I mean highest (said as much in articles about it in San Marcos area newspapers)...

I believe SFA's coach gets barely above six figures...

Randleman before he left Sam was getting a shade under $100,000 and I do not believe Whitten would get more than that...

bcrawf
December 12th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Where do you Southern schools come up with that kind of money to pay your coaches?? I know Coach Farley makes around the 85-90,000 range and he has us in a national title game and has won 3 Gateway titles in 5 years.

I guess Coach gave em the old Alma Mater discount (PS- He is not going anywhere and will retire as coach of the Panthers :nod: :nod: :nod: )

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Where do you Southern schools come up with that kind of money to pay your coaches?? I know Coach Farley makes around the 85-90,000 range and he has us in a national title game and has won 3 Gateway titles in 5 years.

It's the SWAC schools that get me. TxSo pays over $100,000 for their coach, maybe closer to $125,000 and he has one win in the last two years! They aren't playing for much outside of a SWAC championship and can't even win the Labor Day Classic against PVA&M anymore...

The other programs are suffering and I bet they could've got a decent coach for less than that because it's a Div I program and folks want those jobs!

Marcus Garvey
December 12th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Where do you Southern schools come up with that kind of money to pay your coaches??

Well, when you don't have academics to worry about, you tend to have a little more cash lying around!

:D :D :D

89Hen
December 12th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Nope, I don't mean lowest, I mean highest (said as much in articles about it in San Marcos area newspapers)...
Oh. I was confused because it sounded like in one breath you're saying he makes more than anyone and then saying he doesn't even make as much as a SWAC coach. I couldn't tell which angle you were going for. SWAC salaries are irrelevant unless Bailiff is thinking about going to a SWAC school. If he's the highest paid in the Southland, that's pretty good.

PantherRob82
December 12th, 2005, 11:38 AM
are you sure UNI didn't already pay him? :)

CollegeSportsInfo
December 12th, 2005, 11:46 AM
The Bobcat faithful in San Marcos have opened up a web site urging the university to take action and lock Bailiff down. Has links and information on how to give directly to the athletic department to help them do the job.

Bobcats had a helluva year this year and they want to stay that way for years to come. National power in the making or a school that shows up to dance every now and then? We'll see. They only have one season in the books of note...

The site seems confusing. Shouldn't the fans be paying to get rid of him after such awful 4th Q coaching?

DemiGS
December 12th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I believe I heard that GSU just set the bar higher for all of I-AA with the Van Gorder hire. Can anyone confirm whether he is infact the highest paid coach at this level, and maybe how much he is getting?

BCisforBobcatTX
December 12th, 2005, 12:24 PM
The site seems confusing. Shouldn't the fans be paying to get rid of him after such awful 4th Q coaching?
Haha, I can definitely see how you'd think that, but what's done is done and we're looking ahead to next year. I hope Bailiff stays around for a looong time. Oh, and to the UNI fan that said something about their coach retiring a Panther, as poetic as that sounds, Bailiff played at Texas State back when we were winning D2 titles and it still wouldn't surprise me to see him take off. In the end, these coaches have families and want what's best for them. Bailiff and your coach(apologies, I don't remember his name) would take off in a heartbeat if it meant increasing their salaries 4 fold.

OL FU
December 12th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Well, when you don't have academics to worry about, you tend to have a little more cash lying around!

:D :D :D

Now Now Mr Garvey. I'll take FU's academics.

Maybe one of our more informed fans can tell us how much the Furman coach makes. But the talk when Johnson went to Vandy was his earnings went from $150,000 to $750,000. Now the $150,000 is all -inclusive (TV Show and other jobs the school can drum up for him, I don't know if it includes all endorsements),

bluehenbillk
December 12th, 2005, 12:33 PM
KC Keeler is probably one of, if not the highest paid coach in 1-AA. I couldn't tell you exactly what he makes but it's safe to say the $325,000 neighborhood would be pretty close.

DB_Atlantic10
December 12th, 2005, 01:09 PM
KC Keeler is probably one of, if not the highest paid coach in 1-AA. I couldn't tell you exactly what he makes but it's safe to say the $325,000 neighborhood would be pretty close.

Well that explains where all of the money goes vice renovating your outdated stadium...... :nono: If I remember right, MM just signed a new contract putting him up to $175K, so Keeler makes almost twice as much....

bluehenbillk
December 12th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Keeler's salary is still not even close to what Tubby was making at the end of his career.

texcap
December 12th, 2005, 02:31 PM

I guess Coach gave em the old Alma Mater discount (PS- He is not going anywhere and will retire as coach of the Panthers :nod: :nod: :nod: )

I don't think that Jerry Moore at ASU makes much more (if any) over $100,000 and he has been there 16 years and is the winningest coach in SoCon history.

McNeese75
December 12th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I am sure McNeese and Nicholls Coaches are on the bottom of that pay list and may not even hit 6 figures.

Southern U pays their coach $250,000 I think.

GSUBass
December 12th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Rumor is that our new coach is making around 400K after the Booster contribution. So yeah...he's kinda getting a bit.

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2005, 04:45 PM

Furman is a private school, they have more money than any SoCon team.

FU97
December 12th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Furman is a private school, they have more money than any SoCon team.

Well when you have to pay $33,000 for each scholarship, that money doesn't go as far as it used to. I would imagine most state schools can get at least 3 scholarships for every one that Furman has to fund.

txstatebobcat
December 12th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Bailiff is supposed to get a six figure annuity added on to his contract, I guess that will boost his income to the 250,000 range.

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Well when you have to pay $33,000 for each scholarship, that money doesn't go as far as it used to. I would imagine most state schools can get at least 3 scholarships for every one that Furman has to fund.
Yeah, but that is the price you pay to remain private. Not to mention, I would say it's a safe bet that Furman receives more money per alumni donor than most, if not all, SoCon teams.

But, there was a report recently that showed Furman spends more than double what Appalchian spends on it's football program each year, Furman allocates more money than anyone in the SoCon for football each year, at almost $7m a year.

Baldy
December 12th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Rumor is that our new coach is making around 400K after the Booster contribution. So yeah...he's kinda getting a bit.

From what I understand, BVG's pay is in the $430-$450K range. Not sure if this includes the TV and Radio package. If it doesn't it could push his salary up around the $500K plateau.
I very seriously doubt any coach in I-AA is anywhere near that amount.

rokamortis
December 12th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Is this legal?

FU97
December 12th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah, but that is the price you pay to remain private. Not to mention, I would say it's a safe bet that Furman receives more money per alumni donor than most, if not all, SoCon teams.

But, there was a report recently that showed Furman spends more than double what Appalchian spends on it's football program each year, Furman allocates more money than anyone in the SoCon for football each year, at almost $7m a year.

Have a hard time believing we spend $7M on football. Scholarships take up just over $2M. Assume another $1M for coaches salaries. That would leave $4M for operating costs. I just can't imagine it takes that much money to operate a football team.

bcrawf
December 12th, 2005, 05:53 PM
That's amazing!!!

And Farley isn't going anywhere he was D-Coordinator at Kansas after leaving UNI to go there with Terry Allen. He has seen the big time he hated it, He loves the Cedar Valley!!

Baldy
December 12th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Have a hard time believing we spend $7M on football. Scholarships take up just over $2M. Assume another $1M for coaches salaries. That would leave $4M for operating costs. I just can't imagine it takes that much money to operate a football team.

According to the US Dept. of Ed. Office of Postsecondary Ed., Furman spends $3.7M per year on football, total. Still more than Appy (little under $2M) or GSU (little over $2M).

FU97
December 12th, 2005, 06:30 PM
According to the US Dept. of Ed. Office of Postsecondary Ed., Furman spends $3.7M per year on football, total. Still more than Appy (little under $2M) or GSU (little over $2M).

Makes sense given the disparity in scholarship cost. Take out scholarships and all the schools probably spent close to the same amount in operating costs.

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Makes sense given the disparity in scholarship cost. Take out scholarships and all the schools probably spent close to the same amount in operating costs.
I can't remember where I saw those figures...I'll see if I can find it and post it. You know what's funny though (and I am biased as I'm a Tarheel fan also), but if Furman spends $3.7M imagine what Duke University spends and I think ASU, GSU, and Furman could all beat the Blue Devils!

FBSCOUT
December 12th, 2005, 08:22 PM

Bcrawf,
You are off by about $40,000+. The Des Moines Register lists all state employees in its database. Mark Farley made $130,688.66 with $4,543.07 for Travel and Subsistence last year, fiscal year 2005 ending June 30th, 2005.

dirtbag
December 12th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Bcrawf,
You are off by about $40,000+. The Des Moines Register lists all state employees in its database. Mark Farley made $130,688.66 with $4,543.07 for Travel and Subsistence last year, fiscal year 2005 ending June 30th, 2005.

And that's just the "university" salary. Lots of coaches will get salary supplements from media or boosters.

bobcatalum05
December 12th, 2005, 11:19 PM
The six figure annuity probablly will only allow him to recieve the trails(pmts) unless he completes the contract. Its kind of an incentive to do so well to where they cant get rid of you. Or there may be some criteria he must meet in terms of W-L and Academics before he gets to keep the annuity.

I dont know the specifics of the contract, all that I know is that it just doesnt make sense to just not give the man the cash upfront unless there are some criteria that must be met. Its a simple time value of money issue for Baliff.

TXST_CAT
December 13th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Haha, I can definitely see how you'd think that, but what's done is done and we're looking ahead to next year. I hope Bailiff stays around for a looong time. Oh, and to the UNI fan that said something about their coach retiring a Panther, as poetic as that sounds, Bailiff played at Texas State back when we were winning D2 titles and it still wouldn't surprise me to see him take off. In the end, these coaches have families and want what's best for them. Bailiff and your coach(apologies, I don't remember his name) would take off in a heartbeat if it meant increasing their salaries 4 fold.

Although it is hard for many to understand there are some things more important than money. Bailiff is at a University he loves and near his family. Plus I believe Bailiff wants to leave his legacy here. He will get paid a handsome salary for the humble man he is. From everything I gather from his statements the man wants this program to succeed. As for paying him and not firing him, why would we want to give up on a coach that took a team picked last in the SLC last year to winning a share of the conference title and almost taking us to the championship in his second year? That is what GSU does. :smiley_wi For a second year head coach he has accomplished a lot, not to mention what he has done off the field. In case you didn't watch the game he created an atmosphere that fans like me have dreamed about for years. His athletes have increased their GPA every semester since his arrival as well. These are not things a coach looking at TXST as a stepping stone would accomplish. This is why I believe he will be paid handsomely over time. He is building a legacy that will allow him to be reward well. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

UNH SUPERFAN
December 13th, 2005, 06:25 AM
ARE YOU SURE YOU REALLY WANT THIS COACH? AFTER HIS PERFORMANCE LAST WEEKEND THEY SHOULD THINK ABOUT GETTING RID OF HIM.

UNH HEAD COACH MAKES $85K.

TXST_CAT
December 13th, 2005, 11:55 AM
ARE YOU SURE YOU REALLY WANT THIS COACH? AFTER HIS PERFORMANCE LAST WEEKEND THEY SHOULD THINK ABOUT GETTING RID OF HIM.

UNH HEAD COACH MAKES $85K.
Yea because there are so many coaches out ther who can turn a program waround in under 24 months. Not to mention love this University the way Bailiff does. You don't know the man or what he has accomplished. To ask for his head for one bad call after an amazing season is flat out STUPID! This man is worth it. Trust me when I say it won't be long before we are playing for a chance to be in the playoffs again. This sleeping giant (TXST) is awake and Bailiff woke his slumber!

UNH SUPERFAN
December 13th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I ADMIT MY ONLY EXPOSURE TO HIM WAS IN THE UNI GAME LAST WEEK. IF HE IS THAT GOOD THEN IT WILL BE GREAT FOR THE TX STATE PROGRAM.