PDA

View Full Version : Who wins in Chattanooga?

PantherMan
December 11th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Who ya like? The Panthers or the Mountaineers?

ASU Kep
December 11th, 2005, 11:56 PM
<---- Homer.

CatFan22
December 12th, 2005, 12:57 AM
<----- Going for UNI.

December 12th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Tied at 11 votes each right now... sounds about right...

Grizo406
December 12th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Grizo will be a Panther for this one, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Go on with your bad self, UNI, and DO IT!!!

saint0917
December 12th, 2005, 06:37 AM
UNI

MR. CHICKEN
December 12th, 2005, 06:44 AM
NIU?...INU?...UIN?...UNI?...OR WHATEVERAH IT IS!......:rotateh:......AWK!

buckp
December 12th, 2005, 07:10 AM
1) UNI has proven they can travel anywhere and win....:bow:

2) UNI is due for a NC....:rotateh:

3) UNI has some of the best fans - at least here at AGS.....:nod:

GOTTA PULL FOR THE PURPLE PANTHERS!!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Umass74
December 12th, 2005, 07:16 AM
UNI ------- by a field goal :D

APPST '93
December 12th, 2005, 07:39 AM
ASU 28
UNI 23

Should be a great game!

Eaglegus2
December 12th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Initially, I had thought that App State would win by a FG, but losing Williams due to the injury will be huge.

Trey Elders did play well against Furman. I don't think that Elders will step it up enough to defeat UNI.

We will see on Friday night.

UNI by 6

bandl
December 12th, 2005, 07:49 AM
ASU, by 10

AppStateMan
December 12th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Trey Elder in my opinion is just as good as Williams. I saw him play at Wofford. He threw for 3 touchdown passes (if I remember correctly). Then he cam in at Elon and threw an amazing touchdown pass. Another note, he had most of the 2nd string in for most of his play. So Trey will step up and play some good football. The Apps will come out on top of this one 28-17 playing the same type of football they have played all year. I think App proved its not just a one man team.....

asumatt
December 12th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I am from Spartanburg so I watched Trey play in high school. I have seen him do amazing things. I have seen him lead his team undefeated to a state title. Apps by 10

dbackjon
December 12th, 2005, 11:06 AM
UNI

ButlerGSU
December 12th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Neither team will win by more than one score, whether it's a touchdown or a fieldgoal is yet to be seen. Should be a great game, see you all in Nooga.

goasu984Life
December 12th, 2005, 11:11 AM
ASU -- 24
UNI -- 16

*gets down on knees and prays for this to be true.*

Tubby Raymond
December 12th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I have picked against UNI for the past 3 games and am more than willing to admit that I obviously know nothing about I-AA college football xlolx :smiley_wi

Spider
December 12th, 2005, 12:51 PM
UNI

FU97
December 12th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I am from Spartanburg so I watched Trey play in high school. I have seen him do amazing things. I have seen him lead his team undefeated to a state title. Apps by 10

No offense to Trey, but lately a lot of kids have led Byrnes to undefeated seasons......

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2005, 01:10 PM
No offense to Trey, but lately a lot of kids have led Byrnes to undefeated seasons......

True, and App has even been "inspired" in a few ways by their offensive schemes. :smiley_wi

But remember, a high school state title, no matter who you play for, is a BIG deal. As I played for a rather bad HS team, I could only imagine. He's had his experience with big games. It's obvious pressure doesn't get to Trey that much, as he came off the bench and led App to victory over a very good opponent in one of the biggest games in the history of the program. IMHO, Trey can throw the ball as well as Richie, and is only a tad weaker scrambler. I don't want it to seem like App fans are all of the sudden forgetting about probably the greatest QB we've ever had, but I think Trey can get it done too.

The one thing we cannot let them do is get off to the start they got off to against UNH and Texas St. While App has come back to beat a few schools this year, UNI's gotta have a ton of confidence right now in their ability to "finish" games.

UNI will travel well to Chatty, but being roughly 750 miles farther away than App, and with other close SOCON teams coming to the game (most to cheer for App), the crowd will certainly be for ASU, though UNI will be heard. Thats a big advantage for App, as our defense feeds off the crowd.

Both teams will play their heart out and this game will come down to execution, big plays, and luck. My prediction: App take a 10 point lead into the fourth and manages to hold UNI off by a final score of 38 to 35. Both teams end the greatest season in school history with a lot of pride. App fans go apes--t. :D

goasu984Life
December 12th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Both teams end the greatest season in school history with a lot of pride. App fans go apes--t. :D
I did that Saturday, the apes--t thing.

rabidsaluki
December 12th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Panthers in - what else - Triple overtime. 49-45 :smiley_wi

goasu984Life
December 12th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Good Lord, not triple overtime. My heart can't take it.

PantherMan
December 12th, 2005, 01:36 PM

I believe it is impossible to win by 4 points in an overtime situation... I could be wrong, but I can't think of a scenario. I like your pick on the winning team though! :hurray:

Ivytalk
December 12th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I believe it is impossible to win by 4 points in an overtime situation... I could be wrong, but I can't think of a scenario. I like your pick on the winning team though! :hurray:

That's easy, Pantherman. UNI gets the ball first in the 3rd OT, scores a TD, and kicks the XP. ASU, surprisingly coached by Baliff, gets the ball and kicks a FG! :D

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I did that Saturday, the apes--t thing.

I did too, even jumped into Duck Pond. Lord knows what'll happen if we win in Chatty, but I'll be right in the middle of it. :hurray:

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2005, 01:44 PM
That's easy, Pantherman. UNI gets the ball first in the 3rd OT, scores a TD, and kicks the XP. ASU, surprisingly coached by Baliff, gets the ball and kicks a FG! :D

Since most of the Furman fans have been quite generous, I won't mention another coach I could see doing that. :D

Just kidding, guys.

appst89
December 12th, 2005, 01:53 PM

the only problem with that scenario is that, starting with the 3rd OT, teams are required to go for 2 if they score a TD.

AZGrizFan
December 12th, 2005, 02:01 PM
With my "West Coast Bias", I always root for the team farthest West. GO UNI!!! :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: ASU!!!

OL FU
December 12th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Since most of the Furman fans have been quite generous, I won't mention another coach I could see doing that. :D

Just kidding, guys.

HHMMM, comments like that might require an avatar change :D

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Oh, take it easy. I'm just messin with ya. :D

Glad to have you on our side, albeit for only one game.

goasu984Life
December 12th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I did too, even jumped into Duck Pond. Lord knows what'll happen if we win in Chatty, but I'll be right in the middle of it. :hurray:
I'm sure my neighbors will be glad when this whole thing is over. They can't be too happy about a guy yelling and stomping, and the floors and walls in our building are paper thin, so they hear everything. I could care less, though.

OL FU
December 12th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Oh, take it easy. I'm just messin with ya. :D

Glad to have you on our side, albeit for only one game.

Not one game, THE GAME

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Not one game, THE GAME

Hell yah! THE GAME to finally bring a National Championship to App State, and bring it back to the mighty SOCON. Excuse my poor wording, believe me, this game is HUGE to me. Your coming, right?

Stang Fever
December 12th, 2005, 04:01 PM
With the starting QB out for App state...Im going to go with UNI and that great run game...plus that QB looked great

As for APP...there back up came in last weekend and really impressed...he managed the game well and came out on top....So it can be a close game

eagle1
December 12th, 2005, 04:16 PM
UNI of course.

Sanders is the real deal and will win the game for them against Appy. Go Eagles!!!

Meyer for Payton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OL FU
December 12th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Hell yah! THE GAME to finally bring a National Championship to App State, and bring it back to the mighty SOCON. Excuse my poor wording, believe me, this game is HUGE to me. Your coming, right?

Well I wish I could. I now have to do the corporately correct thing. I had told my boss if FU was in THE GAME I would have to miss the Xmas party. I no longer have that excuse. :mad:

LacesOut
December 12th, 2005, 04:22 PM
UNI

blackfordpu
December 12th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Gotta say UNI! :nod:

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Gotta say UNI! :nod:
Gotta show confidence in my team, and Trey Elder. Appalachian State!

Mr. C
December 12th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Everyone shouldn't assume that Trey Elder will be the one starting on Friday night.

Mountain Panther
December 12th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Everyone shouldn't assume that Trey Elder will be the one starting on Friday night.

Why, their third string is good too????? :doh: :doh: :doh:

Kiss My Apps
December 12th, 2005, 09:19 PM

Do you know something we don't Mr. C???

Appdad
December 12th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Richie may play with a sprained tendon.

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Do you know something we don't Mr. C???

He's listed as "day to day" right now. I think he was supposed to get an MRI done today. Should everything be fine (unlikely) I sure as hell hope we're smart enough not to tell UNI about it. That'd be one helluva terrible surprise for their defense. :eek:

PantherMan
December 12th, 2005, 10:06 PM
He's listed as "day to day" right now. I think he was supposed to get an MRI done today. Should everything be fine (unlikely) I sure as hell hope we're smart enough not to tell UNI about it. That'd be one helluva terrible surprise for their defense. :eek:

Naw, we've already beaten 3 QBs in the playoffs better than Williams. I don't think that UNI will sweat it either way. Actually, I think we would welcome him to play! :beerchug:

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Naw, we've already beaten 3 QBs in the playoffs better than Williams. I don't think that UNI will sweat it either way. Actually, I think we would welcome him to play! :beerchug:

Oh, I really hope your players think that too. If they do, I wonder what the score will be Friday when they finally figure things out? 14-0 ASU? 21-0?

This just in: we crushed your conference-mate SIU, who you barely beat this season, why don't you ask those guys how talented Williams was? He threw for 350, and racked up around 50 more on the ground.

Pard4Life
December 12th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Go ASU!

The Pards are behind you!

asumatt
December 12th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Newly released info on Richie. MRI returned negative on his ankle, no tears, no fractures. Just a sprianed tendon. Day-to-day. Hans Batichon, Jermaine Little and Trey Hennesee are back. GO APPS

Mr. C
December 12th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Personally, I wouldn't take Meyer, Santos or Nealy before Williams. While I really like Meyer, I think Williams is more versatile and gives defenses more problems. Williams also probably has the best leadership skills of that group. I actually like Eric Sanders better than Santos, despite the big numbers Santos put up. Sanders, as a sophomore, is also a very obvious leader, just like Williams.

Mr. C
December 12th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Why, their third string is good too????? :doh: :doh: :doh:
The third and fourth strings are. But they are both redshirting. Better have a game plan ready for Williams and Elder.

PantherMan
December 12th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Oh, I really hope your players think that too. If they do, I wonder what the score will be Friday when they finally figure things out? 14-0 ASU? 21-0?

This just in: we crushed your conference-mate SIU, who beat you this season, why don't you ask those guys how talented Williams was? He threw for 350, and racked up around 50 more on the ground.

Actually, UNI beat SIU to qualify for the playoffs in the last week of the season. Everyone and their grandmother knows that you can pass against SIU. IF Williams were to play, I would doubt he put up 400 yards of offense. Our pass D isn't great, but he won't be his normal self. Like I said, I think we would welcome Mr. Williams on to the field. Of course Elder seems like he has fumblitis, so we won't be complaining if we see him either! :eek: Truth be told, the key for UNI is going to be to contain Richardson. Your passing game doesn't scare me nearly as much as that guy. He's a tough little runner.

December 12th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Personally, I wouldn't take Meyer, Santos or Nealy before Williams. While I really like Meyer, I think Williams is more versatile and gives defenses more problems. Williams also probably has the best leadership skills of that group...The majority of the I-AA land would. Nealy is probably more versatile and Meyer is probably more of a leader too. :twocents:

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Yah, yah, my bad. I just edited my post before you pointed that out.

And while I agree that SIU certainly doesn't have the best secondary in the world, you guys aren't exactly up for the award, either. Granted, you've beat some great QBs the past few weeks, but mostly by simply outscoring them.

colgate13
December 12th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Personally, I wouldn't take Meyer, Santos or Nealy before Williams. While I really like Meyer, I think Williams is more versatile and gives defenses more problems. Williams also probably has the best leadership skills of that group. I actually like Eric Sanders better than Santos, despite the big numbers Santos put up. Sanders, as a sophomore, is also a very obvious leader, just like Williams.

Hmmm.... why am I not surprised about this?

Mr. C
December 12th, 2005, 11:03 PM
The majority of the I-AA land would. Nealy is probably more versatile and Meyer is probably more of a leader too. :twocents:
That doesn't mean the majority of I-AA is right. Nealy, while extremely talented, isn't a match for Williams in terms of experience, poise and polish. He may be the best of the lot some day in the NFL, but right now Williams is superior.

December 12th, 2005, 11:23 PM
That doesn't mean the majority of I-AA is right. Nealy, while extremely talented, isn't a match for Williams in terms of experience, poise and polish. He may be the best of the lot some day in the NFL, but right now Williams is superior.That doesn't mean you are correct either. Right now Nealy is not playing and Richie is on crutches. Neither are superior.

KiddBrewer
December 12th, 2005, 11:37 PM
That doesn't mean you are correct either. Right now Nealy is not playing and Richie is on crutches. Neither are superior.

excuse my ignorance if im wrong, but my dorm room has a beautiful view of kidd brewer stadium, and if my eyes werent failing me today, richie was using no crutches.

December 12th, 2005, 11:39 PM
excuse my ignorance if im wrong, but my dorm room has a beautiful view of kidd brewer stadium, and if my eyes werent failing me today, richie was using no crutches.I talked to the SID today who said Richie was on crutches. Maybe he discarded them... :confused:

Appdad
December 13th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I talked to the SID today who said Richie was on crutches. Maybe he discarded them... :confused:

I talked to the head trainer, I think he may be a little closer to the issue.

He said Richie is making outstanding progress.

December 13th, 2005, 01:26 AM
I talked to the head trainer, I think he may be a little closer to the issue. He said Richie is making outstanding progress.
Gotta be careful of the spin but good for Richie!

grizfan86
December 13th, 2005, 12:16 PM
I,m new to this board. Good luck to both teams, but I have to pull for App. St. I will never get over what happened here when UNI came to town in 2001. I don't know if they have the same coach or not, but they played a totally cheap game and even had an ejection. All Griz fans will remember this.

Black and Gold Express
December 13th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Truth be told, the key for UNI is going to be to contain Richardson. Your passing game doesn't scare me nearly as much as that guy. He's a tough little runner.

Not meant to be smack, but you might want to talk to Furman fans about Trey's passing game, and rethink that. 12-17 for 165 and a touchdown in 3 quarters of play, along with 65 yards and another TD rushing. Efficient, effective, and come gut-check time he was clutch.

Also, keep in mind we get our #1 receiver back this week, and he's 100% healthy. And a real weapon.

If UNI wins this game, they'll have played one hell of a game for sure. I don't think anyone they've faced in I-AA this season presents as many quality options on offense as we do. Again, nobody in I-AA has stopped our offense all year long. It's been a real treat to watch.

TypicalTribe
December 13th, 2005, 12:28 PM
If UNI wins this game, they'll have played one hell of a game for sure. I don't think anyone they've faced in I-AA this season presents as many quality options on offense as we do.

You obviously haven't been paying much attention to UNI's playoff run.

TypicalTribe
December 13th, 2005, 12:33 PM

First team scores a TD and goes for 2, which is required in 3rd OT. Defense forces turnover and returns for 2 pts, cutting lead to 4. Team then fails to score on offense. Final margin of 4 pts. Unlikely, but possible.

Black and Gold Express
December 13th, 2005, 12:52 PM
You obviously haven't been paying much attention to UNI's playoff run.

Actually, I have. And my opinion stands.

nmatsen
December 13th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Not meant to be smack, but you might want to talk to Furman fans about Trey's passing game, and rethink that. 12-17 for 165 and a touchdown in 3 quarters of play, along with 65 yards and another TD rushing. Efficient, effective, and come gut-check time he was clutch.

Also, keep in mind we get our #1 receiver back this week, and he's 100% healthy. And a real weapon.

If UNI wins this game, they'll have played one hell of a game for sure. I don't think anyone they've faced in I-AA this season presents as many quality options on offense as we do. Again, nobody in I-AA has stopped our offense all year long. It's been a real treat to watch.

What was so clutch about his performance? He started with a 14 point lead, your defense holds (watches a qb fall while walking into the end zone) on 4th down preventing a go ahead TD and then forces a fumble (in-complete pass) to end the game. That is clutch. Your QB does not scare anyone wearing purple. The two guys that will probably finish 1-2 in the Peyton award did not scare us so why would we be scared of some guy who didn't even finish top three's back-up?

Black and Gold Express
December 13th, 2005, 01:08 PM
What was so clutch about his performance? He started with a 14 point lead, your defense holds (watches a qb fall while walking into the end zone) on 4th down preventing a go ahead TD and then forces a fumble (in-complete pass) to end the game. That is clutch. Your QB does not scare anyone wearing purple. The two guys that will probably finish 1-2 in the Peyton award did not scare us so why would we be scared of some guy who didn't even finish top three's back-up?

Correction: He started with a 7 point lead, and added to it with a 45-yard touchdown pass on the first snap he took.

He also drove down the field twice deep into Furman territory before turnovers killed the drives (one of them his own, the other was not). He was hitting people in the numbers all day long, both short and deep. He jump-started the game winning drive with a perfect touch pass for 30 yards. And despite the turnovers, he still ran for 65 yards and a touchdown to take the final lead.

All this while having only 1 start in his first two seasons (a win against Texas State) and the rest of the time getting limited reps late in the games. If you're not impressed by his performance, then I'm not sure what standards you must have.

Is he perfect? No, of course not. But I'd wager he's been one of the best backup quarterbacks in I-AA this year. I read today where Richie himself said that if Trey was here for three years, instead of two, he'd own all of Richie's records.

I'm glad he "doesn't scare anyone wearing purple" (which I dobut actually is the case). But the good news is he doesn't have to. This offense is way more than one person, and we also get back two, possibly three, skill players including our #1 wideout and kick returner. And maybe, just maybe, our #1 quarterback.

Fortunately for you, I would bet your team and coaches are far more concerned with Elder than you are.

DB_Atlantic10
December 13th, 2005, 03:28 PM
App St. plays for overtime with 6 timeouts and 3 quarters left.... UNI wins by 3...... :rotateh:

HiHiYikas
December 13th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Am I the only that cringes everytime someone refers to the "Peyton" Award?

Mr. C
December 13th, 2005, 04:38 PM
They probably think its named for Peyton Manning. Some people probably don't even remember who Walter Payton is.

ASUMountaineer
December 13th, 2005, 04:45 PM
your defense holds (watches a qb fall while walking into the end zone) on 4th down preventing a go ahead TD and then forces a fumble (in-complete pass) to end the game. That is clutch. Your QB does not scare anyone wearing purple.

Guess purple has to stick with purple. Watch the replay, apparently everyone is wrong and you are the only one who clearly knew what happened. The same commentators who compared Ingle Martin to Reggie Bush(?!?!) said his arm was clearly not going forward. And, if Martin was trying to throw it, Jason Hunter's arm kept Martin's arm from going forward--thus, a fumble. Does your post mean you would prefer to play Furman and Jerome Felton?