PDA

View Full Version : Davis not getting respect

Ronbo
September 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM
17 returning starters from a 2008 team that lost 5 games by less than a TD. Took the Griz to the wire at Wash/Griz last season 29-24. Davis has a QB that was ranked #35 (Greg Denham)in the nation coming out of HS and was recruited by several Pac 10 schools. He chose UC Davis to stay close to home and for the academics. Yet Coulson has the Griz winning 35-7 at Davis? Don't tell me Coulson's assistant makes those picks.

Expect a much closer game.

Quote from Denham about playing in Missoula.

A year ago 25,209 saw the Griz beat UC Davis in Missoula.

"I loved playing at Missoula, to tell you the truth," said Denham. "Great crowd. Definitely a lot louder than Fresno."

89Hen
September 11th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Have to earn respect. xcoffeex

Ronbo
September 11th, 2009, 08:37 AM
This is a talented Davis team picked to win the GWC by Phil Steel.

35-7? Never happen. Griz fans are extremely nervous about this game.

If a 5-7 CAA team that lost 5 of those games by less than 7 points had 17 starters back all you East Coasters would be singing their praises.

San Jose State 13 - Davis 10
Central Arkansas 24 - Davis 21
Montana 29 - Davis 24

89Hen
September 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM
If a 5-7 CAA team that lost 5 of those games by less than 7 points had 17 starters back all you East Coasters would be singing their praises.
xrolleyesx xnonox

How about a Coastal Carolina team that went 6-6 and lost three of the five I-AA games by less than 7? I don't see anyone talking them up. Or does "East Coast Bias" only really apply to the CAA? xrulesx

Like I said. Davis has to earn respect.

89Hen
September 11th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Oh and by the way. One of the two games that Davis didn't lose by less than 7....

Northeastern 27 - Davis 10

One of NU's two wins. xwhistlex

Green Cookie Monster
September 11th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Sac State 29
davis 19

Another win by a 'lowly' Sac State team at the new davis stadium.

IaaScribe
September 11th, 2009, 09:15 AM
The 51-0 loss to Fresno last week took a lot of the luster off Davis for me.

kalm
September 11th, 2009, 09:31 AM
xrolleyesx xnonox

How about a Coastal Carolina team that went 6-6 and lost three of the five I-AA games by less than 7? I don't see anyone talking them up. Or does "East Coast Bias" only really apply to the CAA? xrulesx

Like I said. Davis has to earn respect.

Only the ones who play more than 5 I-AA games. ;)

Green26
September 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I assume Coulson is just trying to jinx the Griz again, by picking them and picking them big. xlolx

kalm
September 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM
In other words Colgate, Stonybrook, and Liberty are not Central Arkansas, San Jose State, and Montana. Davis should be ranked.

ncbears
September 11th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Didn't they lose a lot of key players to injury during the Fresno game?

Ronbo
September 11th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Didn't they lose a lot of key players to injury during the Fresno game?

No they actually lost some players before the Fresno game and get a couple of them back this week. No injuries at Fresno I heard.

89Hen
September 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Davis should be ranked.
Based on losses. xlolx

kalm
September 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Based on losses. xlolx

The're in a similar situation to EWU who is ranked 17th after a 6-5 season who returns 15 starters - and three of those losses were to Montana, TTU, and Colorado.

It does make a difference sometimes even when you're located on the West Coast.

RabidRabbit
September 11th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately, UC-Davis needs to win a BIG Close one to make their case for ranking. Two FBS, Boise St. the 2nd FBS team xeekx and a D-II leaves UC-Davis with a need to go UNDEFEATED in their FCS games to get 8 D-I wins. Without 8 wins, and no auto-bid, how is Davis going to be selected for an at large over an 8-3 CAA with a FBS win? Snowballs, in Yuma, in August have a better chance. xwhistlexxwhistlex

wideright82
September 11th, 2009, 11:14 AM
The're in a similar situation to EWU who is ranked 17th after a 6-5 season who returns 15 starters - and three of those losses were to Montana, TTU, and Colorado.

It does make a difference sometimes even when you're located on the West Coast.

The Huskies. All I will say.

ncbears
September 11th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I want a rematch with UC Davis. They beat UNC on a hail marry last season.
xbawlingxxbawlingx

89Hen
September 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM
UC Davis. They beat UNC on a hail marry last season.
xbawlingxxbawlingx
That's what Top 25 teams do. xwhistlex

aggiemba
September 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Will the Aggies get any respect after beating Montana?

xeyebrowx

putter
September 11th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Will the Aggies get any respect after beating Montana?

xeyebrowx

Davis can win but it depends on which Denham shows up. the one that played a great game against the Griz or the next week at Northeastern - he didn't show up.

Green Cookie Monster
September 11th, 2009, 12:39 PM
That's what Top 25 teams do. xwhistlex

We beat UNC on a hail mary pass on the last play of the game, you sayin we are a Top 25 team?

coover
September 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I will be rooting for Davis, but I expect a Montana win going away. 35 - 7?? No! 28-7? Maybe.Montana will win this one and easily. I saw a part of the Fresno State last week (over the internet) and if Montana can play "keep away" with the ball, Denham doesn't have a chance, no matter how good he is.

ncbears
September 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I expect Montana to roll in this game too.

89Hen
September 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM
We beat UNC on a hail mary pass on the last play of the game, you sayin we are a Top 25 team?
Only if you lost a bunch of games by close margins. :p

Saint3333
September 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Griz fans sandbagging?

BEAR
September 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM
This is a talented Davis team picked to win the GWC by Phil Steel.

35-7? Never happen. Griz fans are extremely nervous about this game.

San Jose State 13 - Davis 10
Central Arkansas 24 - Davis 21
Montana 29 - Davis 24

They were inches away from beating a 10-2 UCA team: but..(you really should see the video of this INT.. the photo does no justice)

http://www.ucasports.com/gallery/act-fb-anthonygambles081.jpg

89Hen
September 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Griz fans sandbagging?
Nah, just tired of people complaining about their schedule.

JMU Newbill
September 11th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Losing 5 games by 1pt. each is the same as losing 5 games by 20 pts each.

Winning 5 games by 1 pt each is the same as winning 5 games by 20 pts each.

DavisAggie
September 11th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Give us time; we've only been playoff eligible for 2 years now. I look at Sacramento State; they've been playoff eligible for close to 15 years and they still have losing season and losing season. Ouch!

VictorG
September 11th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Davis can win but it depends on which Denham shows up. the one that played a great game against the Griz or the next week at Northeastern - he didn't show up.

Yes Davis can win but last year the Griz played terribly in that game. I expect them to play better this year but I'd be very surprised it it were a blow out.

Native
September 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM
The 51-0 loss to Fresno last week took a lot of the luster off Davis for me.

Ditto!

aggiemba
September 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Ditto!

Hey Wiseguy, Lets see you schedule Fresno and see what happens.

xlolx

Green Laser
September 11th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Hey Wiseguy, Lets see you schedule Fresno and see what happens.

xlolx

Weber would have put up a far better fight than davis! Remember they actually beat Poly last year!

grizzpaw
September 11th, 2009, 06:05 PM
i see davis with a good first string and good qbxnodx, it's as the game goes on how good are the back-ups? there is a lot of skill level dropoff after the first string on most teams!

kalm
September 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Losing 5 games by 1pt. each is the same as losing 5 games by 20 pts each.

Winning 5 games by 1 pt each is the same as winning 5 games by 20 pts each.

Yes, absolutely, when you're only discussing a win-loss record.

But for the nuance challenged, whether or not a team deserves more respect, the presence of east coast bias, or later in the season at large bids are all more subjective arguments.

JALMOND
September 11th, 2009, 08:20 PM
My stats tell me that last year Davis went 5-1 at home and 0-6 on the road. Seems to be a totally different team at home (similar to Portland State in that regard). Aggies could have a helluva home field advantage (Griz fans know a lot about this).

Green Laser
September 11th, 2009, 11:07 PM
My stats tell me that last year Davis went 5-1 at home and 0-6 on the road. Seems to be a totally different team at home (similar to Portland State in that regard). Aggies could have a helluva home field advantage (Griz fans know a lot about this).

Stats can be misleading. Look at last years schedule, they played some of the weaker teams at home, Iona, Northern Colorado, (at that point winless lost on a hail mary pass as time ran out). Portland gave them a hard game and Sac State beat them by 11. davis has lost every significant game at their new stadium so far. The first game in the stadium to Division II Western Washington, the first Horseshoe Cup Game to Cal Poly and the First Causeway Classic Game to Sac State.

aggiemba
September 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Stats can be misleading. Look at last years schedule, they played some of the weaker teams at home, Iona, Northern Colorado, (at that point winless lost on a hail mary pass as time ran out). Portland gave them a hard game and Sac State beat them by 11. davis has lost every significant game at their new stadium so far. The first game in the stadium to Division II Western Washington, the first Horseshoe Cup Game to Cal Poly and the First Causeway Classic Game to Sac State.

It's hilarious how the fans of J Street Technical College follow the Aggies around from board to board (check out this board and eGriz this week for proof). I guess maybe they have grown tired of talking to their colleagues at the local trucking and beautician technical schools.

xpeacex

Screamin_Eagle174
September 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Oh and by the way. One of the two games that Davis didn't lose by less than 7....

Northeastern 27 - Davis 10

One of NU's two wins. xwhistlex

A far West coast team flying all the way across the country and essentially playing at 9am doesn't historically do well. xcoffeex