PDA

View Full Version : GW at W. Carolina Predictions

elcid83
September 9th, 2009, 08:26 AM
An interesting matchup and difficult to predict based on last week's performances. GW had a near flawless performance [over 500 yds of total offense] in their game last week against a much weaker Mars Hill opponent. I suspect that Doolittle and Co. probably had a much more difficult time vs. the scout team preparing for Mars Hill than they did actually playing against the Lions. It was a good game for the Bulldogs to confirm that they have been working on the right things in practice but it did not provide much of a challenge.

In looking at the stats from the W.Carolina at Vandy game, it looks like Vandy had a very similar experience playing against the Cats. The Commodores held the Cats to 115 yds of total offense, 0 points, and only 4 first downs. The Bulldogs won't be able to learn much about the Cats offense from this game, but they may learn from Vandy's D how best to defend the Cats.

Of course, GW will not have the height and weight of Vandy's defense but the Bulldogs do have good speed. Marty Patterson, Mario Brown and Jeffrey Williams all had a good game and are looking to be a stellar LB corps for the Bulldogs. Freshman DT Matt Goods played a heckuva first game and earned Big South Freshman of the Week honors.

This should be a good game and I'm looking forward to the trip to Cullowhee - if I can figure out how to get there. Kickoff is at 6:00 pm. I'll predict my Bulldogs to win this one by 13.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

citdog
September 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM
i predict that when 83's boy actually sees a Southern Conference stadium that he will wish he would have had the stones to tred "In the paths our Fathers showed us follow without FEAR"

couldn't resist 83!

EagleDawg
September 9th, 2009, 09:17 AM
ElCid - 83, It seems as if we were simulatanteously creating these threads. You have the Runnin Dawgs by 13, I have them by 7. I can't figure it out whether you are more optimistic or I'm being overly conservative but I'm sure we'll both take a win by any margin. One thing for sure, I seriously doubt the game will be decided by the end of the 3rd quarter this week but I do like our Dawgs chances.

The Dawgs need to just start fast right out of the gate and not drop those catchable passes, keep the pressue on defensively and hopefully things break their way. See you Saturday.

SideLine Shooter
September 9th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Should be a good game.

WCU - 31
GWU - 27

appmaj
September 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Hate pulling for the Mountain Kitties but:

WCU 14
GWU 10

elcid83
September 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM
i predict that when 83's boy actually sees a Southern Conference stadium that he will wish he would have had the stones to tred "In the paths our Fathers showed us follow without FEAR"

couldn't resist 83!

Citdog, my boy has watched many games in Hagood Stadium, also Wofford's Stadium, Furman's Stadium, Elon's Stadium and many others. He is perfectly happy playing in Gardner Webb's Stadium.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Big game for both programs. GWU would love a win over a SoCon school to add to their resume. WCU could gain a lot of credibility by knocking off a pretty decent OOC team.

elcid83
September 9th, 2009, 10:52 AM
ElCid - 83, It seems as if we were simulatanteously creating these threads. You have the Runnin Dawgs by 13, I have them by 7. I can't figure it out whether you are more optimistic or I'm being overly conservative but I'm sure we'll both take a win by any margin. One thing for sure, I seriously doubt the game will be decided by the end of the 3rd quarter this week but I do like our Dawgs chances.

The Dawgs need to just start fast right out of the gate and not drop those catchable passes, keep the pressue on defensively and hopefully things break their way. See you Saturday.

Slow day at work for you to, huh?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

The Cats
September 9th, 2009, 07:40 PM
.....looking forward to the trip to Cullowhee - if I can figure out how to get there.!

If you can find your way to Boiling Springs, Cullowhee will be easy.

Cats by 17.

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wcar/graphics/wcar-gameday-button.jpg
http://www.catamountsports.com/gameday/

Game Notes.... http://www.catamountsports.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/WCUFB09_GameNotes_Gardner-Webb

Directions to Campus.... http://www.wcu.edu/545.asp

Campus Map..... http://www.wcu.edu/WebFiles/PDFs/WCU_Campus_map-09.pdf

ASU_MBA
September 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Kittens by 10...if their offense can score 10 points...they looked pretty bad against Vandy

g-webb1994
September 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
WCU 20
G-W 17

I wouldn't be surprised if the game ended in the teens....defensive struggle.

elcid83
September 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I'm anxious to see how Doolittle and the O perform against a tougher opponent. Against Mars Hill, they really looked like they were playing against air after the 1st quarter was over. Every play appeared to go just the way it was drawn up and Doolittle really looked confident in the pocket. I'd love for someone who watched GW last season when Doolittle was playing and also saw Saturday's game give us some insight as to any noted improvement in Doolittle's game.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

appmaj
September 10th, 2009, 09:28 AM
WCU 20
G-W 17

I wouldn't be surprised if the game ended in the teens....defensive struggle.

Key word...xeyebrowx

Zeus69
September 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I have to take the cats.. after playing both teams last year I believe that WCU is just tougher.... not to mention GWU hasn' t faired well on the road in recent years

WCU LawCat
September 11th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Western by 11

The Cats
September 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Safe travels up the mountains to all you Bulldog fans....

GREAT RIVER DAWG
September 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'm anxious to see how Doolittle and the O perform against a tougher opponent. Against Mars Hill, they really looked like they were playing against air after the 1st quarter was over. Every play appeared to go just the way it was drawn up and Doolittle really looked confident in the pocket. I'd love for someone who watched GW last season when Doolittle was playing and also saw Saturday's game give us some insight as to any noted improvement in Doolittle's game.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!
Elcid83: Your post of 9/10/09 regarding Doolittle "noted improvement" between this year and last was a good question. I decided to wait until his play against a "tougher opponent" before offering a response. First of all I think all Runnin Bulldog fans can agree that Saturdays win at WCU was a great victory. Every win is a good win especially in a hostile environment. This win says alot about, not only the physical toughness, but the teams mental toughness as well. That last offensive drive, with the score tied and the WCU crowd back in the game, was a great gut check and a thing of beauty. For the casual fan, that is what will probably be most remembered about this victory. From my perspective, however, I have concerns regarding our offensive performance inside the "red zone". This concern is not so much about getting points inside the red zone as much as it is about scoring touchdowns inside the zone. My limited research and experience on the subject seems to reveal that touchdown ratios in red zone appearances should be around 65% or greater if a team is to have success in the win/loss column.

My research regarding Doolittle's performance in this regard, although cursory I admit, reveals little change thus far as compared to last year. In his 5 1/2 game appearances last year he had 20 red zone "chances". Out of those the offense scored 10 red zone touchdowns, for a 50% touchdown/red zone appearance ratio. Last year, Devin Campbell appeared in as many games, (5 1/2), had 21 red zone appearances and the offense scored 13 touchdowns, for a 62% ratio.

Against Mars Hill Doolittle's offense scored 3 touchdowns in 5 zone appearances for a touchdown/red zone ratio of 60%. However, against a "tougher opponent" in WCU, he orchestrated 3 touchdowns in 7 red zone appearances for a touchdown ratio of 43%. His average this year is, therefore, 51%, and nearly consistent with his performance last year. In fact, in 7.5 game appearances in 2008 & 2009 his average is a consistent 51%. Keep in mind that two of the 7.5 game appearances were against DII opponents, (Tusculum & Mars Hill). If we simply look at his red zone touchdown ratios against DI competition the last two years his average touchdown ratio in the zone is 43%, (.4375 in 2008 & .4285 percent against WCU).

In conclusion, to answer your question, Doolittle's performance, at least in the red zone, has changed little and seems relatively consistent. Hopefully, Stan D. can improve upon that statistic and I believe he must if the Runnin Bulldogs expect to improve upon their 5-6 record last year and compete for a Big South Championship.

elcid83
September 14th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Elcid83: Your post of 9/10/09 regarding Doolittle "noted improvement" between this year and last was a good question. I decided to wait until his play against a "tougher opponent" before offering a response. First of all I think all Runnin Bulldog fans can agree that Saturdays win at WCU was a great victory. Every win is a good win especially in a hostile environment. This win says alot about, not only the physical toughness, but the teams mental toughness as well. That last offensive drive, with the score tied and the WCU crowd back in the game, was a great gut check and a thing of beauty. For the casual fan, that is what will probably be most remembered about this victory. From my perspective, however, I have concerns regarding our offensive performance inside the "red zone". This concern is not so much about getting points inside the red zone as much as it is about scoring touchdowns inside the zone. My limited research and experience on the subject seems to reveal that touchdown ratios in red zone appearances should be around 65% or greater if a team is to have success in the win/loss column.

My research regarding Doolittle's performance in this regard, although cursory I admit, reveals little change thus far as compared to last year. In his 5 1/2 game appearances last year he had 20 red zone "chances". Out of those the offense scored 10 red zone touchdowns, for a 50% touchdown/red zone appearance ratio. Last year, Devin Campbell appeared in as many games, (5 1/2), had 21 red zone appearances and the offense scored 13 touchdowns, for a 62% ratio.

Against Mars Hill Doolittle's offense scored 3 touchdowns in 5 zone appearances for a touchdown/red zone ratio of 60%. However, against a "tougher opponent" in WCU, he orchestrated 3 touchdowns in 7 red zone appearances for a touchdown ratio of 43%. His average this year is, therefore, 51%, and nearly consistent with his performance last year. In fact, in 7.5 game appearances in 2008 & 2009 his average is a consistent 51%. Keep in mind that two of the 7.5 game appearances were against DII opponents, (Tusculum & Mars Hill). If we simply look at his red zone touchdown ratios against DI competition the last two years his average touchdown ratio in the zone is 43%, (.4375 in 2008 & .4285 percent against WCU).

In conclusion, to answer your question, Doolittle's performance, at least in the red zone, has changed little and seems relatively consistent. Hopefully, Stan D. can improve upon that statistic and I believe he must if the Runnin Bulldogs expect to improve upon their 5-6 record last year and compete for a Big South Championship.

Great River,

This is not a stat that the NCAA reports on and, if you've ever looked at their stats, they report on a bunch of them. Certainly, Stan the Man can't be held accountable as the only guy on the team that is responsible for red zone performance. However, he and the offense are looking pretty decent in other statistics that the NCAA does actually keep records on.

More importantly to me, is the leadership that Stan showed Saturday night when he led the Bulldogs on their game-winning drive after WCU tied the score. There was no question that the ball was going to get in the end zone when the Bulldogs took the field for that drive and the team executed flawlessly under adverse conditions. Should help them out as we get later in the season and start conference play.

As for NCAA Team stats. Presently, GW leads the Big South Conference in Passing O, Total O, Scoring O, Rushing D, Pass Efficiency D, Total D, Kickoff Returns, Turnover Margin, Passing Efficiency, Sacks, and Tackles for Loss. The only stats GW does not lead in is Rushing O [VMI], Scoring D [VMI], Net Punting [VMI], Punt Returns [Liberty], and Sacks Allowed [VMI].

Bring on the Wolfpack.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

GREAT RIVER DAWG
September 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Great River,

This is not a stat that the NCAA reports on and, if you've ever looked at their stats, they report on a bunch of them. Certainly, Stan the Man can't be held accountable as the only guy on the team that is responsible for red zone performance. However, he and the offense are looking pretty decent in other statistics that the NCAA does actually keep records on.

More importantly to me, is the leadership that Stan showed Saturday night when he led the Bulldogs on their game-winning drive after WCU tied the score. There was no question that the ball was going to get in the end zone when the Bulldogs took the field for that drive and the team executed flawlessly under adverse conditions. Should help them out as we get later in the season and start conference play.

As for NCAA Team stats. Presently, GW leads the Big South Conference in Passing O, Total O, Scoring O, Rushing D, Pass Efficiency D, Total D, Kickoff Returns, Turnover Margin, Passing Efficiency, Sacks, and Tackles for Loss. The only stats GW does not lead in is Rushing O [VMI], Scoring D [VMI], Net Punting [VMI], Punt Returns [Liberty], and Sacks Allowed [VMI].

Bring on the Wolfpack.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!
Elcid83: I certainly do not want to detract from what should be and will be an exciting time for the players and fans when the Runnin Bulldogs travel to Raleigh this Saturday to take on the Wolfpack of N.C. State, however, the tone and tenor of your response to my comments, regarding redzone/touchdown ratios, is deserving of an additional response if only to clarify my position, lest they be misinterpreted by you or anyone else.

My point was, and my concern still is, that scoring touchdowns in the red zone is most of the time directly related to a teams ultimate success when the wins and losses are added up at the end of the season. Whether or not touchdown ratios in the red zone is a reportable statistic for NCAA purposes seems irrelevant to me. Although I have not checked the accuracy of your statement, ("this is not a stat that the NCAA reports on"), I do know that the Big South Conference feels the statistic important enough to report. In any event, the Big South order of finish in the conference standings in 2007 was: Liberty, Coastal Carolina, and GWU. The red zone touchdown ratios for those teams were: 62%,58%, and 51%, respectively. In 2008 the final conference standings were: Liberty, Charleston Southern, Stoney Brooke and GWU. The red zone touchdown ratios were 53%, 60%, 63%, and 56%, respectively. Although Liberty was able to win a championship with a 53% ratio in 2008 should not lessen the importance of this ratio as an indicator of success. I did not, nor do not, mean to say that red zone touchdown ratios are the sole determinative factor for success, but they are important, nevertheless.

I think we can all agree that Dolittle, or any QB for that matter, is not the only one responsible for scoring touchdowns in the red zone. My comments were never intended to imply that somehow he is solely responsible for converting red zone appearances into 6 points. Just as his "leadership" role when "he led the Bulldogs on their game winning drive...", although important to that achievement, was not the sole factor. In one breath you applaud his "leadership" as being instrumental to the game winning drive, yet seem to discount that leadership role and responsibility inside the red zone. You simply cannot have it both ways if your point is to be well taken!

It is often times unfair that the position of quarterback receives sometimes an inordinate amount of the credit when things go well and an equally inordinate amount of the criticism when things go bad. Fortunately and unfortunately that is simply the nature of the "beast", and the nature of the position. I know and trust that Stan understands his role and responsibility in this offense and to this team. I also believe that, given his competitive nature and football acumen, he understands the importance of touchdowns inside the zone, and regardless of fault, takes it very personally, and feels ultimately resposible, when that result in not achieved.

Your defense of "Stan the Man" is misplaced and not needed, at least with me. Your response to my post, in hindsight, gives me the impression that your original "question" was simply rhetorical in nature and not intended to solicit an honest response. I am sorry you misunderstood my comment but certainly do not appologize for the same. I merely intended to point out what I percieve to be a concern that needs to be addressed if this team is to improve. It certainly does not end with Stan, or any QB, but always starts with him, and I am sure it is a statistic that he is trying to improve on, both not just as one man on this team, but as it's leader as well.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

elcid83
September 15th, 2009, 07:41 PM
No offense meant Great River. I'm simply looking for some perspective from someone who watched Stan play QB last year and compare it to his play this year. I have read a lot of criticism of Stan's play last year and I must say, I have only seen a very accomplished senior QB play in the 2 games I have watched this year. Either his play is greatly improved this year or the comments I have read about his play last year came from folks who never saw him play and only relied on stats to criticize.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

catamount man
September 15th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Congrats to you guys. We're young and that showed, but I cannot wait until we get our shot at revenge on September 18, 2010 at your place. Good luck the rest of '09.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

elcid83
September 15th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Catamount Man, I was going to invite you to our tailgate until I saw your clemsontigers.com link [My 3rd team is the Gamecocks!] But, I hope you will stop by anyway. We hang in the grassy area behind the visitors stands.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

GREAT RIVER DAWG
September 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM
No offense meant Great River. I'm simply looking for some perspective from someone who watched Stan play QB last year and compare it to his play this year. I have read a lot of criticism of Stan's play last year and I must say, I have only seen a very accomplished senior QB play in the 2 games I have watched this year. Either his play is greatly improved this year or the comments I have read about his play last year came from folks who never saw him play and only relied on stats to criticize.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!
Elcid83: No offense taken. I will be in Raleigh to watch the Runnin' Bulldogs take on the Wolfpack. I will be yelling with the rest of you, my wife will tell me to calm down and when my voice is hoarse with laryngitis, I will accomodate her on the trip home.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs

elcid83
September 30th, 2013, 07:57 AM

couldn't resist 83!

Sorry to bring up an old thread Citdog, but my boy managed to do something in Wofford's stadium that our alma mater has not done in 16 years - whip the Terriers!

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Smitty
September 30th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread Citdog, but my boy managed to do something in Wofford's stadium that our alma mater has not done in 16 years - whip the Terriers!

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

I was about to say stop bringing up bad memories...