PDA

View Full Version : Presley to WR

AppMan
September 9th, 2009, 06:20 AM
In a mutual agreement between player and the staff, DeAndre Presley he has made the switch to WR. With the emergence of Travaris Cadet and freshman Jamal Jackson lurking in the wings with a red-shirt year, it became evident the move would the best use of Presley's athleticism. IMO, this is a good move for all concerned. The young man has invested much to the success of the team and needs to be a part of it.

HighRyder08
September 9th, 2009, 06:26 AM
now lets not be starting rumors.... post a link

asknoquarter21
September 9th, 2009, 06:36 AM
It makes sense to me.

The kid is a very good athlete and needs to be on the field. He is as humble and level headed as they come.

HighRyder08
September 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
the rumor is indeed true! link posted on mountaineerillustrated.com

Appinator
September 9th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Wow, talk about a tough week for this kid.....

Hope he does well in his new roll.

theasushow
September 9th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I know this is a little off topic. but AE is probably going to start Saturday, with Cadet in as the backup. no mention of Presley playing QB or WR against McNeese State.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/sep/09/edwards-may-get-to-start-saturday/sports/

asknoquarter21
September 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM
It shouldn't be a tough role for him to transition to. He knows where everyone is supposed to be so it can really be a fast transition for him.

I hope he does well. He is still a great football player just unfortunate for him that Cadet is much better than anyone expected.....sorta

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 9th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Wow...

Just a week ago he was the starter, and after one game they're going to move him to WR?

mcveyrl
September 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Judging from most ASU fans reactions to last Saturday, this is probably where he can contribute most on the field (as opposed to third string QB -- which he can still be on the depth chart). Good for him

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Wasn't this kid the "next Armanti?"

smallcollegefbfan
September 9th, 2009, 09:20 AM

I think he could be a very good player in FCS at QB but Cadet has the physical ability for FBS and he gave them a better chance against ECU. With his speed and athletic ability I think he will be even better than Presley. Either way ASU has a good QB for the next two years. Cadet is going to be the next Edwards once he works on reading defenses and gets more experience under his belt. He looked very solid against ECU. Now some ASU people are saying he is the best thing since sliced bread and while he is very good he still has some work to do. I say give him mid way through next year and he will be among the best in FCS. It is going to take him some time obviously.

biggie
September 9th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Yes, Cadet is much more the mold of AE. DP didn't have the correct decision skills at QB. WR and possible returner is going to be the best way to use his speed/skills on the field this year. Putting him at 3rd QB would be a waste and believe Jackson will be listed at 3rd QB now.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2009, 10:34 AM
My question is: Why did it take until after your first game to realize that your backup isn't as good as the third stringer? Shouldn't a move like this happen during summer camp?

tribe_pride
September 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Paladin - sometimes people react differently during a game than they do in practice.

Good to hear that the team and Presley were able to reach a suitable alternative. Hope he succeeds there.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Paladin - sometimes people react differently during a game than they do in practice.

Good to hear that the team and Presley were able to reach a suitable alternative. Hope he succeeds there.

I agree that people react differently. However, I'm of the opinion that such a call is made in preseason practice, not during the season. Granted, I'm not the coach and I don't think App loses anything by making the move, but it just seemed strange.

ASU has a precedent of receivers playing quarterback and vice versa, so the notion doesn't really suprise me.

asknoquarter21
September 9th, 2009, 11:02 AM
We don't recuruit QBs, we recruit Athletes.

I don't know who went to who first but this is a good move any way you turn it.

AppStsGr8
September 9th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I love the idea of DP at WR. Now App's offense is even more of a pick-your-poison offense. With CoCo Hilary who's seen time at QB, D'andre Presley who's seen time at QB, Travaris Cadet who's a punt returner / QB, and Edwards who's seen the underneath side of a lawnmower and lived to play another day, every single play on offense could be considered lining up in a wildcat formation. I wouldn't want to be preparing a defense for that.

AppStFan76
September 9th, 2009, 11:36 AM
My question is: Why did it take until after your first game to realize that your backup isn't as good as the third stringer? Shouldn't a move like this happen during summer camp?

Coach Moore said, he would rather go with experience in the ECU game rather that tallent, and with Presley strarting at WCU and getting play time with team last year, and Cadet only having been with the team a few weeks, he felt more comfortable with DP getting the start this past week....Cadet just proved Coach Moore wrong!

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I love the idea of DP at WR. Now App's offense is even more of a pick-your-poison offense. With CoCo Hilary who's seen time at QB, D'andre Presley who's seen time at QB, Travaris Cadet who's a punt returner / QB, and Edwards who's seen the underneath side of a lawnmower and lived to play another day, every single play on offense could be considered lining up in a wildcat formation. I wouldn't want to be preparing a defense for that.

I disagree. I don't think using one or the other makes much difference to a defensive coordinator. All four are roughly 6' and 190lbs (with Cadet being both tallest and biggest) and can run. I don't think there's much you are going to do with Cadet that you can't do with Edwards, Hillary, or Pressley. Certainly, the offense isn't going to be heavily altered. While, I'll grant you that one probably has more speed, or a better throwing arm, I don't think you do substantively anything different as a defense regardless of who's back there.

Just as a point of comparison, look at Furman's quarterback situatoin (just because I'm familiar with them). The Paladins have a left handed pocket passer and a right handed speedster. IMO, that is a bit more complicated to prepare for.

Note, however, I'm not saying our players are better than yours, only that I don't necessarily think App's four QB/WR players really alters a defensive game plan. Of course, you have to have a defensive gameplan that accounts for all four, but I don't think, when game time comes, it really matters who's back there.

And, fwiw, App is nutso to put anybody back there who's name is not Armanti Edwards.

CrackerRiley
September 9th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Good move. I like it a lot!
This makes Apps wide out depth very nice.

biggie
September 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Updated Depth Chart for McNeese game.

Presley as 3rd KR and 2nd PR (behind Cadet), betting he'll be in on a few of those though.

http://www.goasu.com//pdf4/641310.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=21500

Appinator
September 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I find it pretty difficult to see everyone to jump off the DP wagon here so fast.

He had a bad start in a really difficult game, should we really just bump him off the QB depth chart so fast? Yes, Cadet proved his place is a solid #2, but are we really OK with being an Elon-esque cheep shot to Armanti and a tough hit to Cadet on a punt return away from playing a kid (Jackson) who saw maybe a handful of snaps in fall camp?

Saint3333
September 9th, 2009, 01:41 PM
And, fwiw, App is nutso to put anybody back there who's name is not Armanti Edwards.

Now that I can agree with. With the talent ASU has trick plays shouldn't be necessary, just line up, spread out the opponents defense and run with AE and 1 of four of those RBs, throw deep to Quick, and throw underneath to CoCo, Jorden, and Cline. There are very few FCS teams that have the offensive weapons that ASU has. These guys are already given defenses nightmares.

Skjellyfetti
September 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I find it pretty difficult to see everyone to jump off the DP wagon here so fast.

He had a bad start in a really difficult game, should we really just bump him off the QB depth chart so fast? Yes, Cadet proved his place is a solid #2, but are we really OK with being an Elon-esque cheep shot to Armanti and a tough hit to Cadet on a punt return away from playing a kid (Jackson) who saw maybe a handful of snaps in fall camp?

Well, how many QB's do we need? 4?

I see what you're saying... but, at a certain point we need to play guys where they will see the field and help us out the most. Yeah, we are a few injuries away from playing a QB with very little experience... but, that's how it always is. Every team is in danger of having 2 QB's get hurt and being in a fix. We can't worry right now about having to start a 3rd stringer when we have healthy and very capable 1st and 2nd string QB's.

This will also allow Jamal Jackson to get more reps as a quarterback and improve his game.

Another reason I think this is the best decision is it allows DP to practice as a wide receiver now and develop his route running and catching abilities. The earlier we start him on that path... the better (for him and for our team).

Also, Cadet is still listed punt returner on the depth chart... But, Brian on Rivals had posted a few weeks ago during camp that he thought DP was the better punt returner. I wouldn't be suprised to see that DP take over that role... because, I agree with you there... I don't want our 2nd string QB risking injury every punt return.

SoCon48
September 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
In a mutual agreement between player and the staff, DeAndre Presley he has made the switch to WR. With the emergence of Travaris Cadet and freshman Jamal Jackson lurking in the wings with a red-shirt year, it became evident the move would the best use of Presley's athleticism. IMO, this is a good move for all concerned. The young man has invested much to the success of the team and needs to be a part of it.

Totally agree. The circumstances evidently warrant it. It's a shame, though, he hasn't gotten the experiences in practice (Spring and Fall) to facilitate this optimally.

AppStFan76
September 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I predict he will be on the field as much as a WR as he was going to be as a QB, maybe more...

IMO

CamelCityAppFan
September 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM
are we really OK with being an Elon-esque cheep shot to Armanti and a tough hit to Cadet on a punt return away from playing a kid (Jackson) who saw maybe a handful of snaps in fall camp?

If DP is playing in the WR position, and AE is out, and then Cadet is out, there's no reason he can't line up under center and play QB if necessary. I think it's really a matter of getting him on the field for as much time as possible in the most effective way. He's a great athlete, I'd rather see him running routes and catching balls than cooling his heels on the sidelines.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM

He's a fair-weather QB, just like their fans. xlolx

God I love making friends. :D

appirishmen
September 9th, 2009, 04:13 PM

he started DP because he had more time as a QB in our system. he would have been moved to WR during camp if AE didnt get hurt.

asknoquarter21
September 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I disagree. I don't think using one or the other makes much difference to a defensive coordinator. All four are roughly 6' and 190lbs (with Cadet being both tallest and biggest) and can run. I don't think there's much you are going to do with Cadet that you can't do with Edwards, Hillary, or Pressley. Certainly, the offense isn't going to be heavily altered. While, I'll grant you that one probably has more speed, or a better throwing arm, I don't think you do substantively anything different as a defense regardless of who's back there.

Just as a point of comparison, look at Furman's quarterback situatoin (just because I'm familiar with them). The Paladins have a left handed pocket passer and a right handed speedster. IMO, that is a bit more complicated to prepare for.

Note, however, I'm not saying our players are better than yours, only that I don't necessarily think App's four QB/WR players really alters a defensive game plan. Of course, you have to have a defensive gameplan that accounts for all four, but I don't think, when game time comes, it really matters who's back there.

Armanti will be back there. I don't think that is the matchup problem. I think the matchup problem lies within the WRs wo are very shifty and run almost like RBs.

We have a great set of skill players already and it seems that Cadet and DP will start seeing the field a lot this season in different ways. Our offense is gonna score points and bunches every player on the roster can make things happen with the ball.
I think that is the matchup problem more than anything, especially when you take into account that no player in FCS can cover Brian Quick 1 on 1.

eaglesrback
September 9th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Armanti will be back there. I don't think that is the matchup problem. I think the matchup problem lies within the WRs wo are very shifty and run almost like RBs.

We have a great set of skill players already and it seems that Cadet and DP will start seeing the field a lot this season in different ways. Our offense is gonna score points and bunches every player on the roster can make things happen with the ball.
I think that is the matchup problem more than anything, especially when you take into account that no player in FCS can cover Brian Quick 1 on 1.

Your number 1!
Oh, wait.......

ericsaid
September 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
This should tell you guys a lot more about Jamal Jackson and not Cadet. Jackson is clearly viewed as the quarterback of the future.

Post-Cadet era.

APPdopted
September 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM
This is a little off-topic but I haven't noticed anything about it. Where was Devin Radford during the ECU game? I don't see him listed on the depth chart linked above either. Anyone know what his role is or where he is? He has great break away speed. Just another weapon that's nice to have out there.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Sure, App State has athletes. They had the same guys last year. Teams managed.

SoCon48
September 9th, 2009, 06:09 PM

But not Furman!xcoffeex And no SoCon team.

appirishmen
September 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM

xnodxxnodxxwhistlexxbowxxcoffeex

Skjellyfetti
September 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM
This is a little off-topic but I haven't noticed anything about it. Where was Devin Radford during the ECU game? I don't see him listed on the depth chart linked above either. Anyone know what his role is or where he is? He has great break away speed. Just another weapon that's nice to have out there.

Knee still giving him some problems apparently. Nothing serious, though.

APPdopted
September 9th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Knee still giving him some problems apparently. Nothing serious, though.

Thanks!

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Actually, against Furman last year in Boone ASU managed 133 yards on the ground and 186 in the air. Armanti had 16 rushing yards.

Sure, we lost the game, but I'd say our defensive game plan was better than most.

SoCon48
September 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Actually, against Furman last year in Boone ASU managed 133 yards on the ground and 186 in the air. Armanti had 16 rushing yards.

Sure, we lost the game, but I'd say our defensive game plan was better than most.
and
Originally Posted by PaladinFan

Just did what we needed to win by 2 TD's. Yeah 319 was an off day.;) If that was better than most, you missed your own point. No ofense, just sayin'.

ASU_MBA
September 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM

I was never on the bandwagon....i never thought he would be the next AE. presley is a game manager not a wow kind of star at QB and the decision to move from QB was mutual...Cadet is a playmaker...and Jackson is a passer that will be the future....i think DP knew this and would rather help the team than ride the pine...Presley is a class act and wants what is best for everyone...

SoCon48
September 9th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Your number 1!
Oh, wait.......

Where is GSU ranked?

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2009, 07:01 AM
and
Originally Posted by PaladinFan

Just did what we needed to win by 2 TD's. Yeah 319 was an off day.;) If that was better than most, you missed your own point. No ofense, just sayin'.

No I didn't. Furman had two inopportune fumbles inside the five yard line that killed us. Brian Quick made some nice catches, but for the most part, the App offensive machine was held in check for four quarters.

The point is, App can come out, with the same players, and run the same offense, and I feel confident Furman has a good gameplan for it. I've seen us do it.

AppAlum2003
September 10th, 2009, 07:34 AM
No I didn't. Furman had two inopportune fumbles inside the five yard line that killed us. Brian Quick made some nice catches, but for the most part, the App offensive machine was held in check for four quarters.

The point is, App can come out, with the same players, and run the same offense, and I feel confident Furman has a good gameplan for it. I've seen us do it.

I agree. Furman gave the ASU offense fits during last years game. Everyone at work has been talking about the schedule and what the tough games will be. I told everyone to watch out for the Furman game. I know you guys lost a bunch of starters on defense, but a lot of last year was gameplan.

Going undefeated two years in a row in the SoCon is going to be tough - especially with road games @ Furman, Elon and Woffy. But, that's why we go to the games and scream like no one is looking (or listening.)

Here's to a good season! xbeerchugx

AppStsGr8
September 10th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I was never on the bandwagon....i never thought he would be the next AE. presley is a game manager not a wow kind of star at QB and the decision to move from QB was mutual...Cadet is a playmaker...and Jackson is a passer that will be the future....i think DP knew this and would rather help the team than ride the pine...Presley is a class act and wants what is best for everyone...

Well put. It seems to me we've got plenty of young men who would rather win another national championship as a team than be the star of the day and not make the playoffs. It's also more fun for fans to watch a team work really well together and win than to watch a one man show.

It's great to be a Mountaineer. Is it Saturday yet?

SoCon48
September 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM

I would agree had Furman won and we hadn't spread the receptions around. When has Furman won over App in recent years? Sounds like there is a need for a different gameplan.

SoCon48
September 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I agree. Furman gave the ASU offense fits during last years game. Everyone at work has been talking about the schedule and what the tough games will be. I told everyone to watch out for the Furman game. I know you guys lost a bunch of starters on defense, but a lot of last year was gameplan.

Going undefeated two years in a row in the SoCon is going to be tough - especially with road games @ Furman, Elon and Woffy. But, that's why we go to the games and scream like no one is looking (or listening.)

Still got over 300 yds.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Can't wait for the game.

Oddly, Furman plays most of its tough games at home this year. I looked this up, and had to reexamine to make sure it made sense...but the Paladins have lost only four games at home since the start of the '05 season (Ingle Martin's senior year). One home loss to James Madison in the playoffs, App State once, Wofford once, and GSU once.

I found that difficult to believe.

AppAlum2003
September 10th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Can't wait for the game.

Oddly, Furman plays most of its tough games at home this year. I looked this up, and had to reexamine to make sure it made sense...but the Paladins have lost only four games at home since the start of the '05 season (Ingle Martin's senior year). One home loss to James Madison in the playoffs, App State once, Wofford once, and GSU once.

I found that difficult to believe.

Cue the Delaware fans...

BDKJMU
September 10th, 2009, 01:32 PM
You'all need to quite referring to him as "DP". Whenever a lot of people hear "DP" they think of double penetration....xrolleyesx

KiddBrewer
September 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM
You'all need to quite referring to him as "DP". Whenever a lot of people hear "DP" they think of double penetration....xrolleyesx

i think of dolly parton

KiddBrewer
September 10th, 2009, 01:46 PM
oh and by the way, this has been mentioned in another thread, but ill let you all here know as well......

travaris cadet's nickname is now officially......."the general"

biggie
September 10th, 2009, 01:46 PM
DP also = Donkey Punch.

Either way I'm sure a whole lot of EZU ladies loved the DP.

KiddBrewer
September 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM
DP also = Donkey Punch.

Either way I'm sure a whole lot of EZU ladies loved the DP.

DP = Daytona Piggyback

learnt that one from an ECU girl just last week.....xsmiley_wix

Appinator
September 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM
DP = Daytona Piggyback

You might need to get that checked out then......:D

biggie
September 10th, 2009, 02:01 PM
You go to the clinic after you 'learned' that?

Appinator
September 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Two ECU-STD references within minutes....I love it

SoCon48
September 10th, 2009, 11:00 PM

That's why the state put the med school there..to fight their VD cases.

SoCon48
September 10th, 2009, 11:01 PM

That's why the state put the med school there..to fight their VD cases.

KiddBrewer
September 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM
You go to the clinic after you 'learned' that?

im trying to emphasis our lack of good grammer, to fit in with the hillbilly label us appalachian people are givenxsmiley_wixxthumbsupx

and no, i didnt go to the clinic........but im really starting to wonder about this big red spot i got going on down......oh nevermind

biggie
September 11th, 2009, 10:21 AM
im trying to emphasis our lack of good grammer, to fit in with the hillbilly label us appalachian people are givenxsmiley_wixxthumbsupx

and no, i didnt go to the clinic........but im really starting to wonder about this big red spot i got going on down......oh nevermind

Wasn't making fun of the grammar. Was thinking 'learned' would be akin to 'doing' in this case.

Tealblood
September 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I know who you guys are talking about but it could of been the same headline at Coastal

Our 3rd team QB is named Chris Presley and I think he needs to be moved to where he can be more helpful.

I think he is going to be playing wide-out this weekend