PDA

View Full Version : All of Iowa behind UNI

crunifan
December 11th, 2005, 12:12 PM
So says the Cedar Rapids Gazette...

Panther Express goes extra mile
Panthers are Chattanoogabound. All aboard! The state of Iowa will ride along on the Chattanooga Choo Choo this week as the Northern Iowa Panthers head to that Tennessee town. There, the Panthers will battle the Appalachian State Mountaineers Friday night for the NCAA IAA football championship.
If there is one college team our whole state can rally around, it’s UNI football. It’s the only scholarship I-AA program in the state. It’s built around Iowa athletes. And, unlike UNI men’s basketball, it isn’t perceived as a threat to Iowa and Iowa State. (Yes, I know UNI used to beat ISU in football back in the Cyclones’ darker days.)
Hawkeye and Cyclone fans alike surely cheered for UNI after they got done watching the Iowa-ISU men’s basketball game Friday night. What a wonderful and wacky 40-37 overtime win it was for the Panthers over fourth-ranked Texas State.
Watching on a television in the Hilton Coliseum press room, an Iowa State athletics department official who graduated from Drake strongly urged on UNI. He probably typified a lot of Iowa sports fans.
What a week for the UNI athletics department. Tuesday night, the Panthers beat Iowa in men’s basketball, also in overtime. Normally that would be second to reaching the NCAA basketball tournament in UNI’s athletics year. But it turned out to be just the warm-up act for the football team’s secondstraight playoff road win over a higher-ranked opponent.
Before that basketball game at the UNI-Dome Tuesday, the football team practiced on what little of the Dome’s artificial turf that was left available. The basketball court and portable bleachers covered most of the turf.
Basically, Mark Farley’s team worked out on a 20-yard strip. The coach could easily have gotten bent out of shape about having just a sliver of his own field to use in preparation for a national semifinal. Instead, he shrugged it off. Farley joked that his team should be pretty good in the red zone against Texas State.
At schools like UNI with multi-purpose facilities instead of isolated, state-of-the-art football complexes, you work with what you have.
By the way, UNI was pretty good in the red zone Friday.
So Iowa’s team heads to Chattanooga to take on a third-straight higher-ranked team in Appalachian State of Boone, N.C. It will be more of a home game for the Mountaineers, since they’ll be 270 miles from home as opposed to UNI’s being 830 miles from Cedar Falls.
After being the visitors at such disparate places as New Hampshire and Texas State and overcoming two of I-AA’s finest teams, having fewer fans at a neutral site won’t faze the Panthers.
Friday night in San Marcos, those were Iowans who did the winning. That was Oelwein’s Eric Sanders quarterbacking so brilliantly. That was Brian Wingert of Cedar Falls making a game-deciding field goal for the thirdstraight playoff game. That was Webster City’s Matt Tharp intercepting the Texas State pass in overtime to finalize the triumph.
Tanner Varner of Ottumwa had 13 tackles. Brian Cutright of Davenport had a touchdown catch.
Panther starters are from Council Bluffs and Sergeant Bluff. They’re from Des Moines and Waterloo. They’re from the shadow of Iowa City (punter Adam Kos of Kalona).
It’s always been that way, and UNI football has been very good for a long time. The school came so close so many times. Now it will know the sweetness of the week leading to a national-title game.
Friday night, the porter won’t need to holler as the train leaves the station. Our entire state will be on board, pulling for the Panthers.

I highlighted the good parts in purple. :p

ravens
December 11th, 2005, 12:21 PM
and all of the South behind Appy ! :)

Blue42
December 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM
That's a great article. For those who aren't from Iowa, much of the media in Iowa has done an amazing job of overlooking UNI or selling them short for many years despite their team success and the success of Iowa high school players at UNI.

This guy got it right. He nailed it.

igo4uni
December 11th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Personally, I hope we don't get too many Iowa State Cyclown fans on the UNI bandwagon. Those poor saps can't support a winning team to save their lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yosefcity
December 11th, 2005, 01:14 PM
You can have Iowa. We got Virginia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Alabama on ourside.

AppIAA
December 11th, 2005, 01:16 PM
You can have Iowa. We got Virginia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Alabama on ourside.
plus North Carolina...

yosefcity
December 11th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Good point. Can't believe I left them out!!!

Guess Im too darn excited. I have played the song Celebration about 10 times already today.

AppIAA
December 11th, 2005, 01:25 PM
haha, im pretty damn excited too. I dont think im going to be able to make the game though.. i cant seem to find time off work. My bosses arent being the nicest of people. But this may be a reason to get fired..

yosefcity
December 11th, 2005, 01:28 PM
That sucks. I would just take a sick day. LOL. Glad I don't have to worry about that stuff.

ISUMatt
December 11th, 2005, 01:30 PM
ISUMatt backs Northern Iowa!!! GO GATEWAY!!!!!!!!!

AppIAA
December 11th, 2005, 01:30 PM
that "sick" day may be me just not showing up. However, I have another problem since I am working a high school basketball tournament in Charleston, SC at 7 in the morning starting Saturday. I am debating if I should take that day off as well and lose $120.. I may have to..

GSUBass
December 11th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Don't be so quick to add Georgia to that list....:p:p:smiley_wi

ravens
December 11th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Yeah you got to worry if those GSU fans are true Southeners or not. One came right out and admitted he was going pull for uni ( think he must have been from Cary ....containment area for relocated yankees .) :)

blur2005
December 11th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Good thing the number of supporters won't decide the championship. By the way, I'm cheering for UNI, and so are many other Dukes fans.

crunifan
December 11th, 2005, 02:10 PM
You guys can have those states. As far as I'm concerned, the state of Iowa is the only one that matters right now, and they are proud of our Panthers! :D

newsbreaker
December 11th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Good thing the number of supporters won't decide the championship. By the way, I'm cheering for UNI, and so are many other Dukes fans.

So all those states vs. the state of Iowa.

Good to see both teams have an equal number of teeth cheering for them!

I'm kidding...I couldn't resist. It's going to be a great showcase for 1AA on friday night!

JMU2004
December 11th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Go ASU........similiar school to JMU

Purple Member
December 11th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Don't include all of Alabama with that either

ravens
December 11th, 2005, 02:23 PM

who the heck in Alabama would root for a northern team?

PantherMan
December 11th, 2005, 02:25 PM
You guys at ASU can have all of those states. Not much good comes out of any of em... :twocents: xlolx

P.S. Let us not forget that the North won the war...we're from the North...coincidence? I think not! :hurray:

yosefcity
December 11th, 2005, 02:25 PM
With that logic I might as well add Mississippi and I know we have Lousiana.

HiHiYikas
December 11th, 2005, 02:28 PM
There's not much use in including all those other states. You can draw a line down through NC at Winston Salem, and don't count everyone to the East, and you're still left with more people than occupy the whole state of Iowa.

But seriously, no need to jaw about which state has more people in it. Glad you Northern Iowans are finally headed to Chattanooga. Have fun and I'll see you there!

youwouldno
December 11th, 2005, 03:36 PM
You guys at ASU can have all of those states. Not much good comes out of any of em... :twocents: xlolx

P.S. Let us not forget that the North won the war...we're from the North...coincidence? I think not! :hurray:

Iowa was a pretty big contributor to the war effort xlolx

Coastal89
December 11th, 2005, 03:40 PM
and all of the South behind Appy ! :)
GO UNI!!!

blur2005
December 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I'm glad we're going on about a war that ended, oh, 140 years ago. Or is that seven score? Anyway, it really doesn't matter where you live, because both teams are likeable and worth cheering on.

HiHiYikas
December 11th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Iowa was a pretty big contributor to the war effort xlolx
What? Are we really going to bring the Civil War into this? If that must be the case, it should be pointed out that the Western NC mountains had more Union sympathizers than just about any place else in the South.

The Boone area (and back then Boone wasn't much compared to Shull's Mill) didn't have quite as much at stake in the war as say, our fellow Carolinians to the South.

DuckDuckGriz
December 11th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Two teams Montana beat in the semis (2000 & 2001)..........

Who to root for?

I say Go Panthers

Mountain Panther
December 11th, 2005, 07:31 PM
To get ready for this week's outdoor game we've taken the roof off the Dome...
http://www.library.uni.edu/speccoll/images/dome3.jpg

...and are breaking out the throw-back jerseys...
http://www.library.uni.edu/speccoll/images/football23.jpg

ISUMatt
December 11th, 2005, 07:46 PM
GO UNI!!!

ngineer
December 11th, 2005, 07:47 PM
What? Are we really going to bring the Civil War into this? If that must be the case, it should be pointed out that the Western NC mountains had more Union sympathizers than just about any place else in the South.

The Boone area (and back then Boone wasn't much compared to Shull's Mill) didn't have quite as much at stake in the war as say, our fellow Carolinians to the South.

Named for a Yankee from Pennsylvania.. Ol' Dan'l was born about 5 miles from where I grew up about 45 miles west of Philadelphia between Pottstown and Reading. :read: :read: ;)

ngineer
December 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Furthermore, while the Southerners my have a lot of 'colonels' supportin' them, think of all the 'kernels' supporting the Panthers--very 'ear-ie' :D

skinny_uncle
December 11th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Furthermore, while the Southerners my have a lot of 'colonels' supportin' them, think of all the 'kernels' supporting the Panthers--very 'ear-ie' :D
Anyone else think this thread is getting a bit strange?
:eyebrow:

ravens
December 11th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Yes you marched thru our homeland, burned our houses and raped our livestock.
You won the War of Northern Aggression through attrition only and you buried many more of your dead than us.

PMB4Life
December 11th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Yeah.... this thread has gotten WAY OUT THERE. :confused:

crunifan
December 11th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Wow, and all I wanted to show was that for once all of Iowa has the Panthers backs... xlolx

AppStateMan
December 11th, 2005, 09:39 PM
All of Iowa may be behind UNI. But how many people from Iowa are going to support the team in Nooga?

I saw the lines after the game for APP fans to get tickets. ASU will represent!!!

Thank god I'm in the marching band. I get a free trip, free ticket, free food, and free hotel!!

Mountain Panther
December 11th, 2005, 09:43 PM
All of Iowa may be behind UNI. But how many people from Iowa are going to support the team in Nooga?

Well, there were A LOT more Texas State fans in San Marcos than UNI fans last Friday, but we did OK.

AppStateMan
December 11th, 2005, 09:49 PM
yes you did. BUT have you met the Mountaineer fans??? :beerchug:

Mountain Panther
December 11th, 2005, 09:55 PM
yes you did. BUT have you met the Mountaineer fans??? :beerchug:

No, should I be worried?

ravens
December 11th, 2005, 09:57 PM
No, should I be worried?

Not at all unless you start gloating about that damn war :)

colgate13
December 11th, 2005, 09:59 PM
You won the War of Northern Aggression through attrition only and you buried many more of your dead than us.

Citdawg, that you? We're you been? :rotateh::rolleyes:

swaghook
December 11th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I believe UNI has a lot of NDSU Bison fans pulling for them.

blur2005
December 12th, 2005, 02:39 AM
And thank God the Union won.

APPST '93
December 12th, 2005, 06:05 AM
That's funny! I have two ISU grads that are neighbors and they are pulling for ASU. I guess they consider NC home now.

Gil Dobie
December 12th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Ufda, Minnesotan's for UNI :hurray:

igo4uni
December 12th, 2005, 09:04 AM
raped our livestock.

LOL, now that is funny!!!!!!! Good one!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ngineer
December 12th, 2005, 12:21 PM
LOL, now that is funny!!!!!!! Good one!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah, it was BAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHDDDDDDDDDDD. :asswhip:

BCisforBobcatTX
December 12th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Haha, this thread has gotten way off base, but I'm just gonna roll with it.

I noticed the whole "North v. South" thing in this year's NC game and about 99 percent of the time I pull for the southern team. This year though, I WAS gonna go with UNI just so we can have the consolation of saying "The national championship was played in San Marcos this year." However, in the end, Iowa(and the whole God damn north with the exception of a few places) sucks so I'm gonna back those Appy State boys! Go Mountaineers!!

Cap'n Cat
December 12th, 2005, 12:49 PM

I noticed the whole "North v. South" thing in this year's NC game and about 99 percent of the time I pull for the southern team. This year though, I WAS gonna go with UNI just so we can have the consolation of saying "The national championship was played in San Marcos this year." However, in the end, Iowa(and the whole God damn north with the exception of a few places) sucks so I'm gonna back those Appy State boys! Go Mountaineers!!

:nonono2:

Dear Admin,
We need an IQ test, taken and passed, prior to admission to this website.

Thank you,

Cap'n Cat

dbackjon
December 12th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Tennessee and Arizona for UNI!

Have to root for UNI - similar school to NAU (both the "third public university" - in states divided between 'State' and 'University of' supporters.

Plus - better to say one of your losses was to the National Champion.

Go...gate
December 12th, 2005, 01:16 PM
North Jersey for UNI :bow: :hyped:

South Jersey (that part below the Mason-Dixon line) for ASU :bow: :hyped:

Congrats to both teams on reaching the Final. It will be a terrific game. :hurray:

goasu984Life
December 12th, 2005, 01:25 PM
All I know is that there will be one apartment in South Carolina pulling for Appalachian.

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2005, 01:26 PM

I actually talked one of my GSU buddies into coming with me, so GSU will be represented smack dab in the middle of the ASU student section, whether you like it or not. :D . We both agreed at the beginning of the playoffs that if either of our teams made it, we'd go. While the possibility of a GSU/ASU match-up would have been incredible, alas, things didn't turn out and he'll be stuck wearing an App shirt, surrounded by thousands of fans cheering for ASU. An out-of-body experience it will seem.

ravens
December 16th, 2005, 11:37 PM

Smart choice !! :beerchug:

MR. CHICKEN
December 17th, 2005, 08:09 AM
ALL OF IOWA..BEHIND UNI.......NOT ANYMORE!............BRAWK!

crunifan
December 17th, 2005, 11:38 PM
ALL OF IOWA..BEHIND UNI.......NOT ANYMORE!............BRAWK!

If you read the Cedar Rapids Gazette or watched Iowa news channels you wouldn't say that. Reguardless of placing second, this state is still proud of the Panthers!

MR. CHICKEN
December 18th, 2005, 11:04 AM
If you read the Cedar Rapids Gazette or watched Iowa news channels you wouldn't say that. Reguardless of placing second, this state is still proud of the Panthers!

JES' JERKIN' YER LITER PAN........FANS OF UNI.....:rolleyes:......BRAWK!