PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll Week One: Richmond Remains No. 1

AGSPoll
September 7th, 2009, 12:04 PM
AGS Poll Week One: Richmond Remains No. 1

Chicago, IL -- Reigning National Champion Richmond keeps the top spot in the first AnyGivenSaturday.com (AGS) Poll of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) season released today, garnering 74 first place votes.

Following the Spiders in the top ten were (in order): Villanova, Appalachian St., Montana, Northern Iowa, William & Mary, Southern Illinois, James Madison, New Hampshire, and Elon. The full results are listed below.

Four other teams received first place votes including Villanova (8), Appalachian St. (4), Northern Iowa (3), and Montana (1).

A total of 18 squads received more than the five votes required to receive mention outside of the top 25.

The pollsters also named William & Mary's win over Virginia as the Most Significant Win Of The Week and Northern Iowa's soclose defeat to FBS top 25 ranked Iowa as the Most Significant Loss Of The Week.

AGS is the world’s largest online community devoted to all of the FCS and has been hailed as "the largest collection of FCS aficionados on the planet." The AGS Poll was created in 2004 to give distinguished members of the AGS community a place to voice their opinion, vote for the top 25 FCS programs in the nation, and provide the media and coaches of FCS a valuable resource to gauge general sentiment.

In comparison to other polls, the AGS Poll had as many or more of it’s preseason top 25 on it’s final regular season poll than either of the other two polls (coaches and media) had on their’s since their inception five years ago. The AGS Poll also had as many or more of it’s preseason top 25 on it’s final regular season poll make the playoffs than either of the other two polls the past five years.

In order to ensure that the poll is accurate and fair, a committee of AGS veteran members has established guidelines for voter eligibility and accountability. The AGS Poll will be announced weekly throughout the season on Mondays and a final poll will be announced shortly after the National Championship game.

Complete rankings:
(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
1. Richmond (74) 2223
2. Villanova (8) 2054
3. Appalachian St. (4) 1996
4. Montana (1) 1946
5. Northern Iowa (3) 1932
6. William & Mary 1630
7. Southern Illinois 1551
8. James Madison 1545
9. New Hampshire 1428
10. Elon 1407
11. Weber St. 1392
12. Cal Poly 1152
13. Central Arkansas 1029
14. Wofford 975
15. South Carolina St. 761
16. Massachusetts 653
17. Eastern Washington 568
18. McNeese St. 551
19. Maine 504
20. Delaware 497
21. South Dakota St. 492
22. Furman 407
23. Texas St. 399
24. Georgia Southern 304
25. Eastern Kentucky 291

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Liberty (37), Holy Cross (27), Jacksonville St. (26), Harvard (24), Samford (24), North Dakota St. (18), Colgate (15), Albany (12), Florida A&M (12), Montana St. (12), Western Illinois (12), Grambling St. (11), Eastern Illinois (7), Hofstra (7), Tennessee-Martin (7), Northern Arizona (5), Rhode Island (5), Stephen F. Austin (5).

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: William & Mary
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Northern Iowa

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Glad to see the Demon fans are being such homers...though I guess the common rule of thumb around here is if you lose to an FBS, you don't drop. Right? ;)

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Liberty (37), Holy Cross (27), Jacksonville St. (26), Harvard (24), Samford (24), North Dakota St. (18), Colgate (15), Albany (12), Florida A&M (12), Montana St. (12), Western Illinois (12), Grambling St. (11), Eastern Illinois (7), Hofstra (7), Tennessee-Martin (7), Northern Arizona (5), Rhode Island (5), Stephen F. Austin (5), Pennsylvania (3), Northwestern St. (2), Prairie View A&M (2), Southeastern Louisiana (2), Southern Utah (2), UC Davis (2), Univ. South Dakota (2)

89Hen
September 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Hofstra (7), Tennessee-Martin (7), Northern Arizona (5), Rhode Island (5), Stephen F. Austin (5)
Some interesting ORV's this week.

Hoyadestroya85
September 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
If I could have voted
1. Villanova (had them second in my preseason poll)
2. Richmond (Had them third)
3. W&M (Had them 6th but they beat UVA)
4. App St.
5. UNI

Hoyadestroya85
September 7th, 2009, 12:21 PM
If I could have voted
1. Villanova (had them second in my preseason poll)
2. Richmond (Had them third)
3. W&M (Had them 6th but they beat UVA)
4. App St.
5. UNI

slycat
September 7th, 2009, 12:25 PM
How the heck is UNI the most significant loss?

They almost beat a top 25 team.

I get that there were no big losses, but Woffords was more lopsided to a worse team.

I like the top 10

ValleyChamp
September 7th, 2009, 12:33 PM

I get that there were no big losses, but Woffords was more lopsided to a worse team.

I like the top 10

I don't think it means "worst" loss. Just most significant.

Silenoz
September 7th, 2009, 12:35 PM
We're still ahead of UNI? Doesn't make sense to me

MR. CHICKEN
September 7th, 2009, 12:43 PM

YEAH...CONSIDERIN'......OTHERAH'S RECEIVIN'....FROM DUH PRESEASON POLL....SAW....IN ORDERAH........JACKSONVILLE STATE.....LIBERTY.....LOSE......COLGATE WIN.....HAAVAAD IDLE.....ALBANY.....EASTERN KENTUCKY.....LOSE.......AH KNOW DUH DEFEATS WERE TA DUH BIG BOYS.......BUT C'MON.......EK.....LOSES TA UH PERENNIAL DOORMAT....ALBEIT CLOSE........WOULDN'T LOGIC.......PUT COLGATE @ 25..xconfusedx.....YA'LL COULD ARGUE ALSO...DAT... ALBANY.....IN MAYBERRY.....HUNG TOUGH WHIFF...6 FLAGS...AWK!

slycat
September 7th, 2009, 12:49 PM

True. I've always seen the significant loss be for a good team that lost badly. Since there really wasn't one this week I can see how this loss was significant because it was so close to a really good team. So this time its a good thing.

aceinthehole
September 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Yep. Call me homer, but how does CCSU not get any votes after that game??? doh....

Native
September 7th, 2009, 12:56 PM

I like the top 10

It is significant BECAUSE they almost beat Iowa.

Native
September 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Agreed. I have full faith in Montana's ability to perform well the rest of the season, but this past weekend's performance was not nearly as significant as W&M's fantastic victory over Virginia or UNI's outstanding performance against #22 Iowa.

R.A.
September 7th, 2009, 01:02 PM
It was an extremely difficult week to move unranked teams up due to the competitive play of the top 25.

National Television exposure helped out alot.

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I don't get people voting Nova that high. I dropped them. The #2 team in FCS should not need OT to beat Temple.

I started from scratch. I'm guessing people just used the preseason poll and moved them around.

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Too High:
2. Villanova (8) 2054
19. Maine 504

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Don't agree with dropping Appy from number 1. We should expect elite FCS teams to beat teams from conferences like the MAC and BCS cellar dwellers like Duke.

tribe_pride
September 7th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I don't get people voting Nova that high. I dropped them. The #2 team in FCS should not need OT to beat Temple.

I started from scratch. I'm guessing people just used the preseason poll and moved them around.

You realize that this Temple team is not as bad as the past. They were 5-7 last year, had their top RB from last year return, and about a year of experience, and was picked to finish 2nd in the MAC East.

Old Temple you are right, this year's Temple, not supposed to be as bad.

Ivytalk
September 7th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Great win for W&M, but I think #6 is a bit high.

I had Montana State as loss of the week, given its poor performance against Mich. St.

Native
September 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
It was an extremely difficult week to move unranked teams up due to the competitive play of the top 25.

National Television exposure helped out alot.

A few of the top 25 stumbled. I found room to move Liberty up after their fantastic performance against West Virginia. xthumbsupx

Native
September 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Don't agree with dropping Appy from number 1. We should expect elite FCS teams to beat teams from conferences like the MAC and BCS cellar dwellers like Duke.

Appy's offense was lackluster, getting most of its production in the 4th quarter, and the Mountaineers did not beat the point spread.

Saint3333
September 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
ECU still had their first string in and the point spread per betus was 12.5.

I kept ASU at #2 with UR #1.

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2009, 01:51 PM
You realize that this Temple team is not as bad as the past. They were 5-7 last year, had their top RB from last year return, and about a year of experience, and was picked to finish 2nd in the MAC East.

Old Temple you are right, this year's Temple, not supposed to be as bad.

2nd in the MAC east? Who cares? That could be 3rd, 4th, or 5th in the MAC overall.

If you want to move another CAA team into the top 5 it should be W&M.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 7th, 2009, 01:53 PM

The Temple team that Villanova beat is a solid team.

I voted Villanova #1. Villanova was probably the best team we played last year and they returned most all the same pieces.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 7th, 2009, 01:55 PM
2nd in the MAC east? Who cares? That could be 3rd, 4th, or 5th in the MAC overall.

If you want to move another CAA team into the top 5 it should be W&M.

Who is your Top 5?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Appy's offense was lackluster, getting most of its production in the 4th quarter, and the Moutaineers did not beat the point spread.

They were playing with backup QBs...Presley last year played one full game against WCU and part of the game versus Wofford. Cadet (I don't think) has had any real PT).

Skjellyfetti
September 7th, 2009, 02:07 PM
the Mountaineers did not beat the point spread.

Yeah, they did. Pretty sure the point spread was 11-12.5. They lost by 5.

GaSouthern
September 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM
W&M should have had a better rank

ValleyChamp
September 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Too High:
2. Villanova (8) 2054
19. Maine 504

Gotta agree with you there rob. I don't quite buy into 'nova. And I don't think Maine and SC state worthy of a ranking either.

My top 5:
1. Richmond
2. UNI
3. App St.
4. Montana
5. SIU

Thundar
September 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Gotta agree with you there rob. I don't quite buy into 'nova. And I don't think Maine and SC state worthy of a ranking either.

My top 5:
1. Richmond
2. UNI
3. App St.
4. Montana
5. SIU

Maine nearly got beat by a poor DII team so I agree

blukeys
September 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM

I'm with you.

tribe_pride
September 7th, 2009, 03:15 PM

My top 5:
1. Richmond
2. UNI
3. App St.
4. Montana
5. SIU

Wow Nova outside of the top 5. That's tough. Well Nova can prove whether they belong or not with a tough 3 game stretch at the beginning of October versus W&M, at UNH, and at JMU with at Richmond and versus Delaware later in November so that will show whether they are deserving or not.

It's tough to disagree with you on Maine though after its performance on Thursday.

EmeryZach
September 7th, 2009, 03:40 PM

The didn't need OT. They beat Temple with a last second field goal.

Big Al
September 7th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Don't mention last-second field goals to UNI fans.

Sly Fox
September 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
A few of the top 25 stumbled. I found room to move Liberty up after their fantastic performance against West Virginia. xthumbsupx

Thanks for noticing. We couldn't help but notice that Maine somehow stays up there after their St. Cloud State adventure.

It will all work out in the next few weeks.

Hoyadestroya85
September 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Hmm.. PantherRob.. you must not have paid attention to last season. Villlanova beat Richmond, lost to JMU on a one and a million play, and then lost to JMU at bridgeforth in the playoffs.
Reasons why you are wrong.

a) Villanova returns 15 starters from last season including its quarterback, leading rusher and four of five o-linemen.
b) Our Backup QB would start at the majority of other FCS schools.
c) They won this week.. App state didn't neither did UNI
d) They beat an FBS team regardless of who it was.
e) They were picked as co-champs of the best conference in america and had among the most preseason all-americans of any other school in the country

I can come up with more reasons if you'd like, but i don't feel like it. Just know that you're entitled to your wrong opinion.

ValleyChamp
September 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm not convinced. I would like to hear more reasons.xcoffeex

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM

Hoya, don't bother. The UNI fans are too busy jingling keys in their ears to hear anything you/we say.

Thumper 76
September 7th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I would think that after the first week the poll would be based off the teams performance this year and not off of what happend last year.

Thumper 76
September 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
It just seems that most of your reasons are saying the same thing in a different form i.e. c and d, or have to do with preseason polls or with last year i.e. your main statement and last reason, or are totally irrelivant unless your starter gets hurt. The only convincing argument I see is the returners. just my opinion

appirishmen
September 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Appy's offense was lackluster, getting most of its production in the 4th quarter, and the Mountaineers did not beat the point spread.

yes we did. the point spread was like 30 pts. we lost by 5. our o was lackluster b/c this was only DPs 2nd starts. its a lot different starting at ECU than at WCU. the 4th showed what our o could be. wait to judge our o untill AE gets back. our d looked good at the end of the 2nd and into the 2nd half. i do agree with UR being #1....but it is Duke.........

Gil Dobie
September 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM

I moved Nova up because they won, and are 1-0 in 2009 with a good win over a FBS school xrulesx

BDKJMU
September 7th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Last year's Sagarin:
ECU: 52nd among 119 I-A (54th overall)
Duke 55th among 119 I-A (57th overall). Among the 66 BCS teams, Duke was 47th. So Duke wasn't a BCS cellar dweller last yr, and they were almost as good as ECU. UR has FAR more of an arguement for #1 based strictly on what happened last season and what happened the 1st weekend, not some BS preseason hype you're relying on for ASU.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt08.htm

And don't get your panties in a wad over what is a pretty meaningless Sept poll. The polls won't get ironed out and really start to matter until Oct when the GPI comes out.

BDKJMU
September 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM

I voted Villanova #1. Villanova was probably the best team we played last year and they returned most all the same pieces.

Villanova did lose 4 players off their defense who received All CAA honors (1 1st teamer, 3 3rd teamers) and 3 starters off their offense so I wouldn't quite say they returned most all the same pieces. I was at the Nova Temple game, and but Nova looks like a legit top 5 team based on what I saw the 1st weekend 1st weekend.

GeauxColonels
September 7th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I didn't vote in the preseason poll. So I looked at the preseason poll as somewhat of a starting point. However, I placed the most emphasis on a team's performance in week #1. Here's my top 5:

1. Richmond
2. Appalachian St.
3. Villanova
4. Northern Iowa
5. Montana

Richmond is obvious. I left Appalachian St. at #2 BECAUSE of the 4th quarter comeback without Edwards. Villanova got the nod for me at #3 for the win over Temple. Say what you want, but it's a win over an FBS opponent. I don't think this Temple team is as bad as it had been in the past. Northern Iowa at #4 despite the heartbreaking loss at Iowa. Good performance save for the 2 blocked FGs at the end. Montana at #5...they did what they needed to do - nothing more, nothing less.

This is just the first poll for the season. Things will play out. I think some people freak out way too much when another team jumps theirs. Had UNI won the game, they probably would have been my #2...maybe even #1. Central Arkansas got a high ranking from me (#14) due to their close loss at Hawai'i. That's a long road trip, and I'm not sure anyone expected that outcome. Liberty got in at #24 in my poll as they played tough at WVU. I got to see bits and pieces of the game and was impressed.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 7th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Villanova did lose 4 players off their defense who received All CAA honors (1 1st teamer, 3 3rd teamers) and 3 starters off their offense so I wouldn't quite say they returned most all the same pieces. I was at the Nova Temple game, and but Nova looks like a legit top 5 team based on what I saw the 1st weekend 1st weekend.

In my book, 15 of 22 starters is a lot of starters back.

How many does JMU return? Where do you have JMU ranked?

ngineer
September 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Correct. That is the way I look at the term. I voted for Central Arkansas close loss to Hawaii. The key to me was how bad the the loss, but the impact of the loss. I already had UNI in my top 5 and expected them to be 'close' to Iowa (though not almost win), whereas CAU's 5 point loss to the Rainbows was a real eye opener for me to give CAU much more consideration than I had in the past.

GeauxColonels
September 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Correct. That is the way I look at the term. I voted for Central Arkansas close loss to Hawaii. The key to me was how bad the the loss, but the impact of the loss. I already had UNI in my top 5 and expected them to be 'close' to Iowa (though not almost win), whereas CAU's 5 point loss to the Rainbows was a real eye opener for me to give CAU much more consideration than I had in the past.
UCA?

http://www.eduinreview.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/university-of-central-arkansas1.jpg

WMTribe90
September 7th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Complete rankings:
(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
1. Richmond (74) 2223
2. Villanova (8) 2054
3. Appalachian St. (4) 1996
4. Montana (1) 1946
5. Northern Iowa (3) 1932
6. William & Mary 1630
7. Southern Illinois 1551
8. James Madison 1545
9. New Hampshire 1428
10. Elon 1407
11. Weber St. 1392
12. Cal Poly 1152
13. Central Arkansas 1029
14. Wofford 975
16. Massachusetts 653
17. Eastern Washington 568
18. McNeese St. 551
19. Maine 504
20. Delaware 497
21. South Dakota St. 492
22. Furman 407
23. Texas St. 399
24. Georgia Southern 304
25. Eastern Kentucky 291

UNH is too high after struggling to beat St. Francis. Maine is too high after struggling to beat a bad DII team. I'd move UMass up a few more spots after a good showing against KSU. Temple is a quality win, people who say otherwise have not been paying attention to the progress Temple has made recently. Villanova and UR are top 5. WM is good in the 5-10 range. CAA South is going to be brutal, but if JMU beats MD or UD beats Navy, I predict the CAA South will get four teams in the playoffs. Early I know, but these are critical early wins OOC.

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Richmond
Northern Iowa
App St
Montana

and I don't recall 5. SIU, W&M ?

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM

My bad. I mixed up them and Maine. :p

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hmm.. PantherRob.. you must not have paid attention to last season. Villlanova beat Richmond, lost to JMU on a one and a million play, and then lost to JMU at bridgeforth in the playoffs.
Reasons why you are wrong.

a) Villanova returns 15 starters from last season including its quarterback, leading rusher and four of five o-linemen.
b) Our Backup QB would start at the majority of other FCS schools.
c) They won this week.. App state didn't neither did UNI
d) They beat an FBS team regardless of who it was.
e) They were picked as co-champs of the best conference in america and had among the most preseason all-americans of any other school in the country

I can come up with more reasons if you'd like, but i don't feel like it. Just know that you're entitled to your wrong opinion.

I don't care about last season. I don't give teams points for last year.

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I really don't care where anyone picks UNI. It's week one, and polls are meaningless. I want a seed. :)

BDKJMU
September 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM

I agree. 15 is a lot back. Especially when it includes the QB.

After losing 3 08' underclassmen starters in the offseason for one reason or another JMU only has 11 starters coming back. On that note JD Skolintsky, one of those 3 unexpected off season losses, who started for JMU at DT last yr as a rJR, was cut by the Redskins and then resigned to their practice squad.

I have JMU ranked no where, and I could care less where some people have JMU ranked in meaningless week one polls. I don't vote in the AGS poll because pre season polls and polls after week one are idiotic. I think its comical how people get bent out of shape because their team isn't ranked where they think they should be ranked or gotten the votes they think they should have gotten in a meaningless week 1 poll.xrolleyesx But if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to name a top 10 I wouldn't have JMU in it. JMU hasn't done anything yet. Ask me in a month where I think JMU should be ranked and I might have an answer.

elcid83
September 7th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hate to see no love being given to Gardner-Webb, but I understand after a lop-sided win over a D-II school - Mars Hill. Maybe with a win over W. Carolina ....

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 7th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I agree. 15 is a lot back. Especially when it includes the QB.

After losing 3 08' underclassmen starters in the offseason for one reason or another JMU only has 11 starters coming back. On that note JD Skolintsky, one of those 3 unexpected off season losses, who started for JMU at DT last yr as a rJR, was cut by the Redskins and then resigned to their practice squad.

I have JMU ranked no where, and I could care less where some people have JMU ranked in meaningless week one polls. I don't vote in the AGS poll because pre season polls and polls after week one are idiotic. I think its comical how people get bent out of shape because their team isn't ranked where they think they should be ranked or gotten the votes they think they should have gotten in a meaningless week 1 poll.xrolleyesx But if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to name a top 10 I wouldn't have JMU in it. JMU hasn't done anything yet. Ask me in a month where I think JMU should be ranked and I might have an answer.

To be honest, I really didn't care your opinion on JMU. I just think its hilarious how much of a KNOWITALL you are about other teams.

BDKJMU
September 7th, 2009, 09:10 PM
To be honest, I really didn't care your opinion on JMU. I just think its hilarious how much of a KNOWITALL you are about other teams.

Thats a bunch of BS. xrolleyesx Don't be a tool. I've stated nothing but facts on this thread in regards to other teams. All I've done on this thread is defended UR and Nova when some non CAA posters downplayed their victories because it was Duke and Temple.

JSU02
September 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Definitely no love for Jax State xrolleyesx

BigHouseClosedEnd
Thats a bunch of BS. xrolleyesx Don't be a tool. I've stated nothing but facts on this thread in regards to other teams. All I've done on this thread is defended UR and Nova when some non CAA posters downplayed their victories because it was Duke and Temple.

If I felt a need to call for backup in an argument with a UNI fan or two ... I would just call Coach Farley.

All I can see is Purple from here, buddy...

GeauxColonels
Hate to see no love being given to Gardner-Webb, but I understand after a lop-sided win over a D-II school - Mars Hill. Maybe with a win over W. Carolina ....

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!
I really considered putting GW in at 24 or 25...but I really know nothing about Mars Hill.

smallcollegefbfan
September 7th, 2009, 09:55 PM
UNH is too high after struggling to beat St. Francis. Maine is too high after struggling to beat a bad DII team. I'd move UMass up a few more spots after a good showing against KSU. Temple is a quality win, people who say otherwise have not been paying attention to the progress Temple has made recently. Villanova and UR are top 5. WM is good in the 5-10 range. CAA South is going to be brutal, but if JMU beats MD or UD beats Navy, I predict the CAA South will get four teams in the playoffs. Early I know, but these are critical early wins OOC.

Good points. I actually dropped Maine and UNH even though they won. I have W&M at #7 but almost moved them to #6. I have Richmond at #4 even though they beat Duke because I saw things in UNI, App State, and Villanova that made me feel like my ranking of them ahead of Richmond could still be right. In fact my top 7 teams all played a FBS program and had a good showing in their loss or flat out won. I have ASU, Villanova, UNI, Richmond, SIU, Weber State, and W&M in there. I also dropped McNeese State and Wofford for really poor showings in games that I expected a little better from. EKU was solid against Indiana so I even moved them up some.

When teams play out of FCS I don't always move a team up because they won. I always look at how they played and how close it was and who they played.

MR. CHICKEN
September 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Good points. I actually dropped Maine and UNH even though they won. I have W&M at #7 but almost moved them to #6. I have Richmond at #4 even though they beat Duke because I saw things in UNI, App State, and Villanova that made me feel like my ranking of them ahead of Richmond could still be right. In fact my top 7 teams all played a FBS program and had a good showing in their loss or flat out won. I have ASU, Villanova, UNI, Richmond, SIU, Weber State, and W&M in there. I also dropped McNeese State and Wofford for really poor showings in games that I expected a little better from. EKU was solid against Indiana so I even moved them up some. When teams play out of FCS I don't always move a team up because they won. I always look at how they played and how close it was and who they played.

YA DON'T ALWAYS MOVE UH FCS..UP....BECAUSE DEY WON.......BUT YA ARE OPEN TA MOVIN' UP...'CAUSE DEY LOSE...xoopsx...INDIANA...RANKED 99TH...OUTTAH....120 FBS SQWADS...(PER SPORTS ILLUSTRATED)..UH PERENNIAL CHUMP..IN DUH BIG 10......EASTERN KENTUCKY...SCARES 'EM.......AN' DUH AGS POLLSTERS.......ELEVATE 'EM...TA 25..xconfusedx...............GONNAH BE UH LONG ONE....LADS....:(....AWK!

Hoyadestroya85
September 8th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Villanova did things in their game against Temple that translate well in any game. Offensive adjustments, making clutch plays, forcing turnovers, winning time of possession, winning the turnover battle, making key stops in key situations, good special teams. Even had they lost i would have been encouraged.

BDKJMU
September 8th, 2009, 12:44 AM

Obviously you do. xnodx

WrenFGun
September 8th, 2009, 06:47 AM
IMO, Villanova and Richmond are #1 and #2, with whatever order you want to order them, and then there is a LARGE gap before any other team steps in.

Maine should be out of the top 25 all-together right now, and UNH should barely be clinging to a top 25 spot at best, right now. If we're evaluating on week one performance, neither team was close to top 25 caliber.

smallcollegefbfan
September 8th, 2009, 08:33 AM
IMO, Villanova and Richmond are #1 and #2, with whatever order you want to order them, and then there is a LARGE gap before any other team steps in.

Maine should be out of the top 25 all-together right now, and UNH should barely be clinging to a top 25 spot at best, right now. If we're evaluating on week one performance, neither team was close to top 25 caliber.

The weird thing is that while UNH did not play well this past week we could be talking about them as a top 10 team here in 2-3 weeks if they improve over the next few weeks. It is too early to count a team out with just one game under their belt. Now, if McNeese State loses by 30 or 40 to ASU then I do think they should drop completely out after struggling with Henderson State. You usually have to give teams a few weeks before you really know if they belong in the top 25 early on or not.

One thing I would disagree with is that UNI and ASU both showed that they are national title contenders based on how they played against good teams this past weekend. Iowa was ranked 21/22 in the polls is a top 25 FBS team while ECU was receiving votes in both polls. Duke nor Temple were even receiving votes. Like I said it is too early to make quick judgments right now but this early I give bigger props to a FCS team who has a top 40 FBS team on the ropes and comes up short than to one who plays a team outside of the top 60 and wins. I think both feats are impressive but based on rankings you could argue that UNI and ASU both would have beaten Duke and Temple.

OhioHen
September 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Yep. Call me homer, but how does CCSU not get any votes after that game??? doh....

CCSU didn't get five or more. That's the cutoff to be listed. I know they got at least one Top 25 vote. ;)

PantherRob82
September 8th, 2009, 10:47 AM
My question as always, is how many games any of the people arguing even watched or followed closely?

Hoyadestroya85
September 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM
My question as always, is how many games any of the people arguing even watched or followed closely?

I watched the UNI game, and i closely followed several others.. I was at the Villanova game. I'm not just pulling stuff from my rear end.

jmufan999
September 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM
i wouldn't mind being an underdog heading into Williamsburg.

tribe_pride
September 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
i wouldn't mind being an underdog heading into Williamsburg.

I wouldn't mind it if JMU left Williamsburg as a team that deserved the underdog status :D

jmufan999
September 8th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't mind it if JMU left Williamsburg as a team that deserved the underdog status :D

nicely done...

6 of the last 7 meetings, baby.... :)

all that said, i think that will be one of the toughest games of the year.

WrenFGun
September 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM
...personally, I saw a lot of the UNI Game, a good deal of the 'Nova game and all of the UNH Game.

JMU Newbill
September 8th, 2009, 12:59 PM
The weird thing is that while UNH did not play well this past week we could be talking about them as a top 10 team here in 2-3 weeks if they improve over the next few weeks. It is too early to count a team out with just one game under their belt. Now, if McNeese State loses by 30 or 40 to ASU then I do think they should drop completely out after struggling with Henderson State. You usually have to give teams a few weeks before you really know if they belong in the top 25 early on or not.

One thing I would disagree with is that UNI and ASU both showed that they are national title contenders based on how they played against good teams this past weekend. Iowa was ranked 21/22 in the polls is a top 25 FBS team while ECU was receiving votes in both polls. Duke nor Temple were even receiving votes. Like I said it is too early to make quick judgments right now but this early I give bigger props to a FCS team who has a top 40 FBS team on the ropes and comes up short than to one who plays a team outside of the top 60 and wins. I think both feats are impressive but based on rankings you could argue that UNI and ASU both would have beaten Duke and Temple.

Have you ever played sports? A win is always better than a loss, I don't care who is playing and I don't care what sport it is. That being said, no, I don't think ASU or UNI should be counted out of the national championship because they lost... but bigger props most certainly go to any team that WON last weekend.

You could argue that if UNI's kicker doesn't learn to kick the ball over the line, given two chances, that he will miss another game winning field goal, presumably this time against an FCS team. You could argue that if App State doesn't show up in the first half of their next game (like they failed to do so Saturday), that they will lose to an FCS team. A loss is a loss, don't glorify a team for how they lost or who they lost to.

PantherRob82
September 8th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I watched the UNI game, and i closely followed several others.. I was at the Villanova game. I'm not just pulling stuff from my rear end.

A little defensive? I didn't call anyone out on watching any specific game.

Just happens that most of the time people vote on wins and losses and the final score. Just curious how many people watch more than 1 or 2 games.

Personally I watched:

Western Illinois-Sam Houston
NDSU-Iowa State
Eastern Kentucky-Indiana
Watched in person UNI-Iowa
Watched replay Liberty-WVU
Watched W&M-Virginia
Watched Misoouri St-Arkansas
Watched Wofford-USF
Watched Indiana St-Louisville
Watched Grambling-SC State

followed Villanova-Temple
followed/radio- maine-st cloud st
followed Eastern Illinois-Illinois St
followed/read recap stories and stats App St-ECU
Followed Weber St-Wyoming
Followed Montana -Western St
Followed Southern Illinois-Marshall
Followed Albany-Georgia Southern
Followed Richmond-Duke
Followed NoDak-Texas Tech
Followed/Radio- UMass-KState
Followed UCF-Samford
Followed McNeese-Henderson St
Followed SFA-SMU

Called UNH fans for recap UNH-St Francis

I just don't think a lot of fans really get out and know what's going on on the national FCS scene enough to vote. xcoffeex

Hoyadestroya85
September 8th, 2009, 01:12 PM
All i'm saying is that people post on AGS because they have a genuine passion for this level of football, so its hard to call into question these rankings because they aren't made by some hack who joined last week and has posted twice. I actually agree with the rankings for the first time in forever. You would think that a team that is picked by the coaches to tie for the CAA championship should have some kind of stake to a top 5 ranking considering The CAA has won the last 3 championships that weren't won by Appalachian State and has consistently received multiple at large bids in the playoffs.

danefan
September 8th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Just happens that most of the time people vote on wins and losses and the final score. Just curious how many people watch more than 1 or 2 games.

Personally I watched:

NDSU-Iowa State
Eastern Kentucky-Indiana
Watched W&M-Virginia
Watched Wofford-USF

Followed Richmond-Duke
Followed UCF-Samford
Followed SFA-SMU

I just don't think a lot of fans really get out and know what's going on on the national FCS scene enough to vote. xcoffeex

I agree, but I will say this: most of the people on AGS are more qualified to vote in a national poll than the vast majority of writers, broadcasters and others that vote in the TSN poll and the coaches/SID's that vote in the Coaches Poll.

With the exception of a small few, these people don't follow anyone but those in their conference or on the schedule of the team they follow. Hardly enough to vote nationally, IMO.

ASUG8
September 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
We're rolling into week two - I'm not getting my underwear bunched up about rankings until we have a bit more experience under our collective belts. We saw some great showings last week, good FCS representation for the most part across the board, but I really don't care if App's #1 or #5 at this point - I also won't let a one-sided Wofford game in week one cause me to underestimate them when we travel to Spartanburg. Nova, UR, UNI, Liberty, App, GSU, Samford (forgive me if I forget your team) all put on a good show this week - I'll start worrying about rankings once we get well into the conference season.

PantherRob82
September 8th, 2009, 01:40 PM
All i'm saying is that people post on AGS because they have a genuine passion for this level of football, so its hard to call into question these rankings because they aren't made by some hack who joined last week and has posted twice. I actually agree with the rankings for the first time in forever. You would think that a team that is picked by the coaches to tie for the CAA championship should have some kind of stake to a top 5 ranking considering The CAA has won the last 3 championships that weren't won by Appalachian State and has consistently received multiple at large bids in the playoffs.

I never said Nova shouldn't be top 5. I just would've dropped them a bit based on performance. I'm just saying that if you only follow the CAA or NE, then you might not know exactly where your team falls. Once again, it wasn't aimed just at you or Nova. I am fully aware that Nova was good last year and has a lot returning. After one game of this year, I ranked them a little lower. They've got a couple weeks to change my mind. xcoolx

PantherRob82
September 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I agree, but I will say this: most of the people on AGS are more qualified to vote in a national poll than the vast majority of writers, broadcasters and others that vote in the TSN poll and the coaches/SID's that vote in the Coaches Poll.

With the exception of a small few, these people don't follow anyone but those in their conference or on the schedule of the team they follow. Hardly enough to vote nationally, IMO.

This is very true. I also realize I am entirely too obsessed with FCS football. :D

PantherRob82
September 8th, 2009, 01:42 PM
We're rolling into week two - I'm not getting my underwear bunched up about rankings until we have a bit more experience under our collective belts. We saw some great showings last week, good FCS representation for the most part across the board, but I really don't care if App's #1 or #5 at this point - I also won't let a one-sided Wofford game in week one cause me to underestimate them when we travel to Spartanburg. Nova, UR, UNI, Liberty, App, GSU, Samford (forgive me if I forget your team) all put on a good show this week - I'll start worrying about rankings once we get well into the conference season.

I honestly wish the poll didn't start for a few weeks. Unfortunately we vote every week.

Hoyadestroya85
September 8th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I honestly wish the poll didn't start for a few weeks. Unfortunately we vote every week.

That is where i wholeheartedly agree with you, Voting after one game is garbage. I think that you could make a preseason poll and then vote for real after around week 3. That's what screwed Villanova out of a seed last year IMO.

PantherRob82
September 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM
That is where i wholeheartedly agree with you, Voting after one game is garbage. I think that you could make a preseason poll and then vote for real after around week 3. That's what screwed Villanova out of a seed last year IMO.

I'm not sure about that. UNI got a seed while ranked lower than Nova IIRC.

blukeys
September 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure about that. UNI got a seed while ranked lower than Nova IIRC.

Midwest Bias!!xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxsmiley_wixxsmile y_wixxsmiley_wix

igo4uni
September 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Midwest Bias!!xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxsmiley_wixxsmile y_wixxsmiley_wix

Woo Hoo!!

BDKJMU
September 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM

nicely done...

6 of the last 7 meetings, baby.... :)

all that said, i think that will be one of the toughest games of the year.

Make that 5 straight....

BDKJMU
September 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Agree. As I've said before pre season polls are retarded. Top 25 polls in Sept are ridiculous.

BisonBacker
September 8th, 2009, 04:54 PM
While I agree most seasoned fans realize them for what they are. With that in mind I don't mind seeing them they give people something to talk about and if you don't take them to seriously all is well. After the 3rd or 4th week they have their place though.

Native
September 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM
yes we did. the point spread was like 30 pts. we lost by 5. our o was lackluster b/c this was only DPs 2nd starts. its a lot different starting at ECU than at WCU. the 4th showed what our o could be. wait to judge our o untill AE gets back. our d looked good at the end of the 2nd and into the 2nd half. i do agree with UR being #1....but it is Duke.........

Agree that the return of a healthy AE will make a diffrerence!

Can't agree that anyone would have favored ECU by 30 points, though.

Predictions differ. I used Sagarin's pre-season ratings published in August, which favored ECU by less than a field goal, only because of the 3.14 point home field advantage. Not perfect, but a starting point.

I do not doubt App State's potential, but I do not think Mountaineers did themselves any favors with their performance in the ECU game. In fact, I think they hurt themselves. Not what I would call a championship performance.

Especially in contrast with the W&M victory and other FCS wins and close contests in which the FCS team performed well offensively, won or tied the turnover battle, and beat the (Sagarin) point spread.

CharlestonAppFan
September 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Agree that the return of a healthy AE will make a diffrerence!

Can't agree that anyone would have favored ECU by 30 points, though.

Predictions differ. I used Sagarin's pre-season ratings published in August, which favored ECU by less than a field goal, only because of the 3.14 point home field advantage. Not perfect, but a starting point.

I do not doubt App State's potential, but I do not think Mountaineers did themselves any favors with their performance in the ECU game. In fact, I think they hurt themselves. Not what I would call a championship performance.

Especially in contrast with the W&M victory and other FCS wins and close contests in which the FCS team performed well offensively, won or tied the turnover battle, and beat the (Sagarin) point spread.

xeyebrowx xrolleyesx

You do realize we played the reigning CUSA champs, right? Who played in a bowl game last year? I don't think Virginny even sniffed a bowl game last year, and Duke xlolx come on bro. We even were down to our 2nd and 3rd string QB's, and lost by 5 xeekx After the adjustments, ECU had a total of 4 first downs in the 2nd half much less scored. Sorry, but just tired of hearing that App hurt themselves or are not even close to being a top team in the FCS this year.

Although keep thinking we're not that good, especially with our #2 & #3 QB giving us a chance to win a game against a FBS opponent. Could you honestly say that if your team played with their backups running your offense? Imagine what's gonna happen when AE comes back. And I do think we covered/beat the Sagarin point spread you speak of

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2009, 07:02 PM

A 5 point loss (with their #2 and #3 QB's) to a very good ECU team that won Conference USA last year that beat Virginia Tech and whooped a top 10 West Virginia team. xrolleyesx

What about Weber State? Did their performance hurt them? They were playing a Wyoming team that is a whole lot less impressive than ECU. They were 4-8 last year... not likely to be much better this year.

Keep doubting Appalachian...

BDKJMU
September 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
xeyebrowx xrolleyesx

You do realize we played the reigning CUSA champs, right? Who played in a bowl game last year? I don't think Virginny even sniffed a bowl game last year, and Duke xlolx come on bro. We even were down to our 2nd and 3rd string QB's, and lost by 5 xeekx After the adjustments, ECU had a total of 4 first downs in the 2nd half much less scored. Sorry, but just tired of hearing that App hurt themselves or are not even close to being a top team in the FCS this year.

Although keep thinking we're not that good, especially with our #2 & #3 QB giving us a chance to win a game against a FBS opponent. Could you honestly say that if your team played with their backups running your offense? Imagine what's gonna happen when AE comes back. And I do think we covered/beat the Sagarin point spread you speak of

The reigning CUSA champ last season ECU was about as good as Duke.

Last year's Sagarin:
ECU: 52nd among 119 I-A (54th overall)
Duke 55th among 119 I-A (57th overall). Among the 66 BCS teams, Duke was 47th.
Besides beating JMU 31-7xbawlingx and UVA 31-3 last season, Duke beat 2 bowl teams (Vandy and Navy) and took a 3rd (Wake Forest) to OT.

caribbeanhen
September 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Personally I watched:

NDSU-Iowa State
Eastern Kentucky-Indiana
Watched W&M-Virginia
Watched Wofford-USF

Followed Richmond-Duke
Followed UCF-Samford
Followed SFA-SMU

what did your wife say about all the footballxconfusedx

Native
September 9th, 2009, 10:06 PM
A 5 point loss (with their #2 and #3 QB's) to a very good ECU team that won Conference USA last year that beat Virginia Tech and whooped a top 10 West Virginia team. xrolleyesx

What about Weber State? Did their performance hurt them? They were playing a Wyoming team that is a whole lot less impressive than ECU. They were 4-8 last year... not likely to be much better this year.

Keep doubting Appalachian...

I performed a spreadsheet analysis of the FCS-FBS matchups in which I compared actual score vs Sagarin predicted score, total yards, and turnovers. I also looked at whether total yards (and points) were gained only in the fourth quarter, after the FBS opponent had brought in the substitutes.

I have no doubt that App State will perform well this season, but their first game was weak, one of the worst FCS performances of Week One.

Weber's performance hurt them with me, and apparently with Sagarin. Nobody throws FIVE interceptions for a net loss of FOUR turnovers and wins. There were some bright spots for the Wildcats, but the Weber debut was mediocre.

The best FCS-FBS performances were the three victories and the UNI game, hands down.

Skjellyfetti
September 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I also looked at whether total yards (and points) were gained only in the fourth quarter, after the FBS opponent had brought in the substitutes.

ECU didn't mass sub at all in the game on Saturday. They played some backups... but, only because their starters had cramping issues.

If you're refering to ECU-App State... what quarter does your spreadsheet say ECU "brought in the substitutes?"

Houndawg
September 10th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I performed a spreadsheet analysis of the FCS-FBS matchups in which I compared actual score vs Sagarin predicted score, total yards, and turnovers. I also looked at whether total yards (and points) were gained only in the fourth quarter, after the FBS opponent had brought in the substitutes.

I have no doubt that App State will perform well this season, but their first game was weak, one of the worst FCS performances of Week One.

Weber's performance hurt them with me, and apparently with Sagarin. Nobody throws FIVE interceptions for a net loss of FOUR turnovers and wins. There were some bright spots for the Wildcats, but the Weber debut was mediocre.

The best FCS-FBS performances were the three victories and the UNI game, hands down.

Appy played a much tougher opponent closer than Weber did, but Appy's game was one of the worst FCS games of week 1, while Weber throwing 5 picks to a weaker opponent than Appy faced was "mediocre"?

xrolleyesx

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2009, 08:56 AM
what did your wife say about all the footballxconfusedx

She watched it. xbowx