PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Players of the Week

smallcollegefbfan
September 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
SoCon Announces Week One Football Players of the Week
Sorrells, Boateng, Valentine and Camp Receive Weekly Honors

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Southern Conference named its football players of the week today for the games played on Thursday, Sept. 3 and Saturday, Sept. 5. Furman quarterback Jordan Sorrells was selected as the Offensive Player of the Week while The Citadel freshman Joseph Boateng was named Defensive Player of the Week. Georgia Southern wide receiver Jamere Valentine was tabbed as the Freshman of the Week, and Elon punt returner Lance Camp was the league’s Special Teams Player of the Week. The players of the week are selected by the league office.

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Jordan Sorrells, Furman, Sr., QB

Sorrells compiled a career high 336 yards and three touchdowns through the air to go with one on the ground in leading Furman to a 45-21 victory over Presbyterian. The fifth-year senior completed 24-of-30 passes for 285 yards and three scores, and he rushed four times for a career high 51 yards and a touchdown. Sorrells tossed touchdown passes covering 15, 12, and 5 yards, and had a scoring run of 9 yards. The Greenville, S.C., native recorded a career long rush of 46 yards and keyed a Paladin offense that rolled up 495 total yards.

Other Nominees: Scott Riddle (Elon), Eric Breitenstein (Wofford), Lee Chapple (Georgia Southern), Tavaris Cadet (Appalachian State), Blue Cooper (Chattanooga) and Dustin Taliaferro (Samford).

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Joseph Boateng, The Citadel, R-Fr., DB

Boateng made an immediate impact in his first collegiate game by picking off a pair of passes against North Carolina. His first interception was returned 18 yards to the UNC 3-yard line. Boateng, who hails from Germantown, Md., also tied for the team lead with seven tackles, including five solo stops.

Other Nominees: Bryce Smith (Samford), Joseph Thornton (Chattanooga), Dion DuBose (Georgia Southern), Chris Wiley (Furman), Chris Collins (Western Carolina), Cortez Gilbert (Appalachian State), Brandon Ward (Elon) and Tommy Irvin (Wofford).

FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Jamere Valentine, Georgia Southern, Fr., WR

In his first collegiate game, Valentine caught both of the Eagles’ touchdown passes in a 29-26 win over Albany. The Myrtle Beach, S.C., native also hauled in six receptions for a team-high 79 yards.

Other Nominees: Joseph Boateng (The Citadel), Chris Awuah (Chattanooga), Michael Johnson (Western Carolina), Justin Lloyd (Appalachian State), Dale Riley (Elon), Nathan Wade (Furman), Cameron Yaw (Samford) and Stephon Shelton (Wofford).

SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Lance Camp, Elon, Jr. PR

Camp returned six punts for a total of 79 yards, including a 54-yard return for a touchdown in Elon’s 56-0 win over Davidson. The junior from Cherryville, N.C., also notched 55 receiving yards on five catches to total 134 all-purpose yards.

Other Nominees: Adrian Mora (Georgia Southern), Blake Cain (Western Carolina), Sam Keeler (The Citadel), Cameron Yaw (Samford), Tavaris Cadet (Appalachian State) and Buster Skrine (Chattanooga).

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=204789104

blueballs
September 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM
No love for Darrell Pasco on special teams???

All he did was have a 90+ yard return of a blocked XP for 2, recover a fumble on a punt that led to GSU's first points, and down a punt on the one that led to a pick six and another TD.

makes me wonder what one has to do...

Dinman31
September 7th, 2009, 11:44 AM
No love for Darrell Pasco on special teams???

All he did was have a 90+ yard return of a blocked XP for 2, recover a fumble on a punt that led to GSU's first points, and down a punt on the one that led to a pick six and another TD.

makes me wonder what one has to do...

He would have to get nominated first...the above release says GSU nominated Mora.

Baldy
September 7th, 2009, 02:42 PM
He would have to get nominated first...the above release says GSU nominated Mora.

We probably should have nominated Charlie Edwards. All he did was average 47.2 yards on 5 punts.

...and BTW, every Staturday in the SoCon is going to be Valentine's Day. He is going to own the SoCon receiving record book before his college career is over. xthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Unless the SoCon makes a conscious effort to spread these awards around I think you will be seeing Jamere Valentine's name as the SoCon FotW plenty of times this season.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Great job by Sorrells.

From what I've read, #9 has been working on his speed in the offseason. If he can rush for 50+ a game, then he can add a whole other dimension to Furman's playbook.

gophoenix
September 7th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Unless the SoCon makes a conscious effort to spread these awards around I think you will be seeing Jamere Valentine's name as the SoCon FotW plenty of times this season.

I doubt they'll do that. It becomes a fairness pageant at some point rather than who is deserving. Scott Riddle could have gotten it every week his freshmen year but they started giving it to others about mid-season. It's really why these awards are pretty pointless.

It's almost that they end up giving them out on who beats expectations eventually, rather than who is most deserving.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 7th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I doubt they'll do that. It becomes a fairness pageant at some point rather than who is deserving. Scott Riddle could have gotten it every week his freshmen year but they started giving it to others about mid-season. It's really why these awards are pretty pointless.

It's almost that they end up giving them out on who beats expectations eventually, rather than who is most deserving.

I remember the Elon folks complaining about it...he did win it at least twice in 2007 didn't he?

gophoenix
September 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I remember the Elon folks complaining about it...he did win it at least twice in 2007 didn't he?

Yeah, 2 times and 1 time as offensive player of the week. Which was a week you would have expected AE to get that. That's why I just don't get into the weekly awards really anymore. Just seems like a feel good more than anything else.

citdog
September 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Congrats to Knob Boateng. His postgame comments will appear on this weeks episode of The Citadel Grayline.

seantaylor
September 8th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Valentine is a beast. We have some amazing freshman wideouts on the roster.