PDA

View Full Version : Contract Extension for CSU Coach

MarkCCU
December 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM
The Post and Courier reported today that CSU Football Head Coach has been given a multi-year contract extension. No dollar amount was given but thought to be well deserved. And indeed it is, the man is the 2nd football coach for the 15 yr old program and has not only given them thier first winning season, but a Co-Championship with Coastal Carolina. He has done well in the 2 years he has been there. This is how you treat a coach,(that's directed at you GSU)

Laserlips
December 11th, 2005, 12:19 PM
The Post and Courier reported today that CSU Football Head Coach has been given a multi-year contract extension. No dollar amount was given but thought to be well deserved. And indeed it is, the man is the 2nd football coach for the 15 yr old program and has not only given them thier first winning season, but a Co-Championship with Coastal Carolina. He has done well in the 2 years he has been there. This is how you treat a coach,(that's directed at you GSU)

MarkCCU: This is directed at YOU.

If CSU is happy being a "good" team, or having a "good" season, then that's ok by us.

Georgia Southern University is NOT willing to just be good, or just having a good season. We aspire to always be the BEST. I don't have a clue what rate of success CSU expects from their football coaches. I do know GSU expects the Eagles to be in the hunt for the national championship of 1AA EVERY year. We don't want to be knocked out of playoff competition BEFORE the playoffs, or in the FIRST round of the playoffs, or even later. We want to be IN the national championship game, and we want to WIN that game.

The next time quality football programs in 1AA are mentioned in the media see who's name comes up most often, GSU or CSU?

At Georgia Southern University we are without a doubt the most SPOILED fans in 1AA football. We are spoiled by our pass success, and when we have a down turn such as we've experienced the past few years we yearn for improvement. We yearn for a 7th National Championship flag flying over Paulson Stadium... OUR HOUSE.

Possibly to your surprise I wish the CSU football program great success. If you can achieve that with your present coaching staff, wonderful. It just simply wasn't going to work for GSU.

EVERY Coach who signs a contract to Coach for Georgia Southern University knows precisely what measure of success will be expected of him. Coach VanGorder is no different.

This season the GSU football team had a good offense, but a weak defense, no passing attack, problems in team discipline, and problems with a lack of conditioning. Poor team discipline and poor conditioning are DIRECTLY related to Coaching lapses. We also suffered from a lack of imagination in play calling, and our triple option had turned into a "double-option".

I think almost everyone at GSU wishes Coach Sewak and family the absolute best. Coach Sewak is a fine person, and extremely well liked in the Statesboro area. But I think if you asked Coach Sewak himself he would tell you that for whatever reason stagnation had creeped into the GSU football program from the loss in first round of the playoffs LAST year.

Coach Sewak will land on his feet and will be picked up by some other 1AA program in a heartbeat. He may well be picked up by some team (ELON?) we play on a regular basis and come back and whip our butts.. If that happens I'll applaud him.

Of course if that happens whoever our present Coach might be should be packing his bags.

Not trying to be a smart ass here, just trying to explain to you the mind set of most folks associated with the Georgia Southern Football program..

Best Wishes,
JP :beerchug:

SoCon48
December 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Right on, brother. :beerchug:

rokamortis
December 11th, 2005, 01:58 PM
It is all about expectations.

CSU is probably building a statue to the man that gave them their first winning season. He has acheived something that the previous coach couldn't - something that has taken them 15 years.

Comparing CSU to GSU is like comparing a middle-school pole-vaulter and an olympian: the bar is much, much higher for the olympian. GSU is spoiled by their own success, but they have raised the bar not only for themselves but for other programs as well.

I don't think that GSU should have fired Sewak, but I also can't fault them for striving to be the best team they possibly can.

Purple Member
December 11th, 2005, 02:13 PM
MarkCCU: This is directed at YOU.

If CSU is happy being a "good" team, or having a "good" season, then that's ok by us.

Georgia Southern University is NOT willing to just be good, or just having a good season. We aspire to always be the BEST. I don't have a clue what rate of success CSU expects from their football coaches. I do know GSU expects the Eagles to be in the hunt for the national championship of 1AA EVERY year. We don't want to be knocked out of playoff competition BEFORE the playoffs, or in the FIRST round of the playoffs, or even later. We want to be IN the national championship game, and we want to WIN that game.

The next time quality football programs in 1AA are mentioned in the media see who's name comes up most often, GSU or CSU?

Best Wishes,
JP :beerchug:

Laserlips, this is directed to you.
Why do you think anyone reading about a CSU contract extention cares about GSU? I agree, when people talk about 1-AA football, they ofter talk about GSU. When I was watching the 2 semi-final games this week I heard about GSU a few times, mostly about how TxST beat them in the first round. I don't want to talk bad about your school, I really just don't care about them at all.

Laserlips
December 11th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Laserlips, this is directed to you.
Why do you think anyone reading about a CSU contract extention cares about GSU? I agree, when people talk about 1-AA football, they ofter talk about GSU. When I was watching the 2 semi-final games this week I heard about GSU a few times, mostly about how TxST beat them in the first round. I don't want to talk bad about your school, I really just don't care about them at all.

PurpleMember: This is directed at YOU.

When reading the original post by MarkCCU the last sentence said basically "This is how you treat a coach, (that's directed at you GSU).

Since the comment was directed at GSU I thought it was not out of order to respond. If you read my response you will see I was not looking to blow "GSU's horn" or anything like that. I WAS trying to give an explanation where the manner in which CSU hires or fires their coaching staff is their business, and the way GSU hires or fires our Coaches is OUR business.

If GSU had not been mentioned in the original post I would never have posted a reply..

Why you chose to be offended by my response, I don't have a clue. The butt whipping (and meltdown) we got in Texas is one reason we DID have a Coaching change. I applaud the Texas Bobcats from coming back from approximately 19 points down to taking us to the woodshed. Our defense sucked, our players were out of shape, and admitted it, and if you think our Coaches did a good job of coaching late in the game you didn't see the same 4th quarter I did.

Finally, I don't care if you "care" about GSU. I care about GSU football and that is the only reason I made a response to MarkCCU. I did so in what I thought was a reasonable manner and by adding your two cents worth you only proved you hadn't read or understood the line of thought in both posts.

This whole thread was not directed at YOU in any shape, form, or manner. It was directed specifically to MarkCCU in what I hoped was a respectful manner.

However, if you chose to be offended by what I said that's YOUR problem.

Best Wishes,

JP xidiotx

Mr. C
December 11th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Glad to hear it for Jay Mills. He is a classy fellow and very deserving. He has a great background as an assistant and has a good plan in place for building the CSU program. Jay also did a wonderful job of holding things together this year when WR Eddie Gadsen was killed in a car accident. A lot of people probably don't know that Jay was the guy who recruited many of Harvard's top players, including the St. Louis Rams new starting QB Ryan Fitzpatrick. I said when CSU hired Mills that it was a great move for the Bucs and signing him to an extention shows they are continuing to move in the right direction. Not a bad couple of years for a team that was one of the worst in I-AA just three years ago.

Purple Member
December 11th, 2005, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=Laserlips]PurpleMember: This is directed at YOU.

When reading the original post by MarkCCU the last sentence said basically "This is how you treat a coach, (that's directed at you GSU).

My bad, I didn't see the last line directed at GSU, now I understand where you were coming from. (although I still don't care about GSU)

Laserlips
December 11th, 2005, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=Laserlips]PurpleMember: This is directed at YOU.

My bad, I didn't see the last line directed at GSU, now I understand where you were coming from. (although I still don't care about GSU)

No problem.

Best Wishes, :beerchug:

JP

MarkCCU
December 11th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Right on, brother. :beerchug:
Right on. But i was not comparing the program of GSU to CSU. If anything, I was comparing how you treat a coach who is doing well and to LaserLips, i understand if y'all don't want to be good, but better then good. that's normal, that's the way it should be. I'm not going to to go into detail about GSU firing the coach, that is yet another exhausted thread on AGS.