PDA

View Full Version : UNI d-line

Black and Gold Express
December 11th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Curious to know what the makeup of UNI's D-line is like. What are their strengths and weaknesses?

Usually this is a key point in how well the ASU offense will do.

Opinions, biased and not, are welcomed.

PantherMan
December 11th, 2005, 11:17 AM
D-line has some big boys in the middle that get after ya. The linebackers are pretty solid. Our d-backfield is suspect at times, and give up a lot of passing yards typically. Basically, our defense bends a lot, but doesn't break in the end. They just find a way to get the job done.

PantherRob82
December 12th, 2005, 11:58 AM
one of our big guys, a freshman named Everette Pledascleaux(sp?), is out for the season with a knee injury. i think the last game he played was EWU?

FU97
December 12th, 2005, 12:55 PM
You'll need speed on the outside to counter the option. ASU mixes some option into their game just to keep you honest.

PantherMan
December 12th, 2005, 01:38 PM
You'll need speed on the outside to counter the option. ASU mixes some option into their game just to keep you honest.

Good point. Our linebackers can move pretty well. I would imagine that ASU does not rely on the option in this one quite as much though. The way Elder was bobbling the ball against Furman might change things up a little...UNI has some players on defense that will lay the wood to ya, and he seems a little soft.

Chi Panther
December 12th, 2005, 01:57 PM
INJURY REPORT: Farley said starting linebacker Brett Koebcke and backup safety Ryan Manahl are questionable for Friday. Koebcke is nursing an ankle injury and played only briefly at Texas State while Manahl injured a shoulder during the game.

Also, John Herman #54 has lined up it seems at 11 different positions this year....but this kid is sneaky fast/strong.....i'd pay attention to him......

PantherMan
December 12th, 2005, 01:59 PM
INJURY REPORT: Farley said starting linebacker Brett Koebcke and backup safety Ryan Manahl are questionable for Friday. Koebcke is nursing an ankle injury and played only briefly at Texas State while Manahl injured a shoulder during the game.

Also, John Herman #54 has lined up it seems at 11 different positions this year....but this kid is sneaky fast/strong.....i'd pay attention to him......

Koebcke is a must in this one. Hopefully his ankle heals up in time for Friday night!

DinoDex200
December 12th, 2005, 01:59 PM
D-line has some big boys in the middle that get after ya. The linebackers are pretty solid. Our d-backfield is suspect at times, and give up a lot of passing yards typically. Basically, our defense bends a lot, but doesn't break in the end. They just find a way to get the job done.

I saw that you guys have one stud DE...can't remember his name, but it's going to be crucial for us to shut down a guy with 13+ sacks on the year.

Black and Gold Express
December 12th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Good point. Our linebackers can move pretty well. I would imagine that ASU does not rely on the option in this one quite as much though. The way Elder was bobbling the ball against Furman might change things up a little...UNI has some players on defense that will lay the wood to ya, and he seems a little soft.

According to Coach Moore, when Trey goes in there they playcalling doesn't change. What you do lose is Richie's freelancing running skills when the play breaks down. But Elder has seemed to be capable enough to at least get the ball back to the LOS, and not give up a big loss. Whereas with Richie, he could turn a busted play into a 20+ yard gainer.

If we don't use the option, our run game will suffer a lot. Richardson is a speed back and while he can break a few tackles, he's not one that will carry people and push the pile too much. I have no doubt that what's made him effective is that there have not been that many times when he got the ball when everyone would think he would.

So Trey will have to carry the ball some for sure. I'm going to assume that the staff will be working with Trey to keep better hold of the football. But there's only so much you can do in a week. Even with good technique you need the strength to fight off defenders, and another good 9 months in the weight room hopefully will help in that department.

Chi Panther
December 12th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I saw that you guys have one stud DE...can't remember his name, but it's going to be crucial for us to shut down a guy with 13+ sacks on the year.

That's John Herman #54...I was talking about above....

bcrawf
December 12th, 2005, 02:51 PM
We plug the middle pretty well. Kevin Stensrud at one DT is solid and will amke it in the NFL as a deep snapper. Charles Johnson is listed at 324, but that weight had to be taken in about 8th grade he's probably 360.

Black and Gold Express
December 12th, 2005, 02:59 PM
We plug the middle pretty well. Kevin Stensrud at one DT is solid and will amke it in the NFL as a deep snapper. Charles Johnson is listed at 324, but that weight had to be taken in about 8th grade he's probably 360.

360?? :eek:

Do you guys run a 3-4 with him as a NG, or a 4-3?

Appdad
December 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM

360???

Does the rest of the team jealously consider him getting an "extra benefit" at the training table?

I am sure mom and dad are glad he is on the UNI check....

PantherMan
December 13th, 2005, 01:25 PM

The defense changes A LOT. Hard to lock us into one basic formation even. The best thing about Johnson is that at ~360 or so, he still moves reasonably well and he is STRONG!

Black and Gold Express
December 13th, 2005, 01:40 PM
The defense changes A LOT. Hard to lock us into one basic formation even. The best thing about Johnson is that at ~360 or so, he still moves reasonably well and he is STRONG!

He'll be a challenge for us for sure. We've got a damned good O-line, but outside of LSU I'm not sure we've faced anyone that big.

And if he gets past the line, why am I having images of Richardson trying to cut him and getting blown back by this guy?