NDB
September 5th, 2009, 06:25 PM
down 14-0 six minutes in...

NDB
September 5th, 2009, 06:34 PM
UND on the board 14-3 !!?!

Hambone
September 5th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Offense sounded pretty good on that drive. Let's see if the defense can stop them (too bad they are taking all those penalties :( )

Hambone
September 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Sioux pick it off! 1st and 10 at their own 41.

darell1976
September 5th, 2009, 06:48 PM
TT 14
UND 3 11:39 2nd qtr

TT Ball

darell1976
September 5th, 2009, 06:54 PM
TD-TT

TT 21
UND 3 8:41 2nd qtr

The Sheriff
September 5th, 2009, 07:12 PM
8 penalties so far in the 1st half for UND, but they are somewhat moving the ball. Can't shoot themselves in the feet though if they want to make it respectable.

The Sheriff
September 5th, 2009, 07:15 PM
52 yrd FG good for Hellevang!!! 21-6

SDFS
Good - 52 yd FG UND 6 - TT 21

JBB
Sounds like coaching problems. 8 penalties is a lot.

The Sheriff
September 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Coaches are jumping offsides...

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Another INT for the UND defense - half time TT 21 UND 6

The Sheriff
September 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Interception by the Sioux!!! Taking a knee ... halftime.

Mussman said the effort is there, just need to get rid of the "stupid penalties".

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Coaches are jumping offsides...

Not prepared.

dakotadan
September 5th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Nor prepared.

Go away, Troll.

Hambone
September 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Not prepared.

Yep, the coaches suck and the cupboard is bare. We know.

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Im a TT fan and I would have to say TT has overlooked UND. 21-6 at the half is almost an upset for UND.

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Yep, the coaches suck and the cupboard is bare. We know.

Its playing out tonight.

There are some bright spots.

Landry is a better running QB than I thought.

The Sheriff
September 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Im a TT fan and I would have to say TT has overlooked UND. 21-6 at the half is almost an upset for UND.

good God you are reaching hard on this one...

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 07:57 PM
UND held to start the 3rd... Fumble by UND on the punt... - come on D hold them to 3

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM
tt 4 and 2 at UND 3 yard line - TT is going for it... this could could be a big play.. JBB - good to see you following the Sioux - again.. to your comments not sure it is the coaching. it might be the first game of the year.. UND is running many formations so the timing is off a bit... things that game play to resolve

Hambone
September 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM
4th and 2 at the 3 - and Tech does not get it! Caught out of bounds. Sioux ball!!

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:00 PM
UND HOLDS - they take over on downs!!!

NDB
September 5th, 2009, 08:07 PM
21-6. Not bad at all...

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 08:08 PM
UND announcers are grousing a bit on this fumble/td call.

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:10 PM
UND punts - TT take over on the UND 43 - short field to work with... come on D - hold them..

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:11 PM
UND announcers are grousing a bit on this fumble/td call.

when the call is over turned it is not grousing.. it is calling it as they see it.

Hambone
September 5th, 2009, 08:13 PM
when the call is over turned it is not grousing.. it is calling it as they see it.

Yep - I agree.

Sioux hold on third down - and the play is being reviewed for a possible completion.

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
1st and goal at the one for TT

Hambone
September 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
TT had 1st and goal on the one, and the Sioux have stuffed them 3 straight. 4th and goal TT.....

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Sioux holding - now fourth and goal - Sioux D stuffing them in short yardage....

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
UND announcers continue to be less than gracious. Obviously excited now with the goal line stand. Is this the high point of the game for UND?

Hambone
September 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
UND announcers continue to be less than gracious. Obviously excited now with the goal line stand. Is this the high point of the game for UND?

Enlighten me - what are they saying that you consider less than gracious??

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM
TT - scores on second effort - TT 28 UND 6 - 3:12 left in 3rd Q.

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Well right now, the TT score, at first it was no good, conceding the second surge, now the revue call by UND and the scorn of the UND announcers saying why not the refs have been wrong on all the call before.

Play stands.

47,824 largest crowd in UND history?

Hambone
September 5th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Sioux moving the ball on this drive - first down at the 47 yard line.

darell1976
September 5th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Sioux are playing great holding TT to 28 instead of 40 or 50 or 70!!! I am impressed with them. Never die!!

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:34 PM
4th Q TT 28 UND 6 - this is a lot closer than I thought it would be -- I love the game play - short ball control via quick passes and keep TT in front of you on defense and the team is executing !!!!

Hambone
September 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Sutton down to the 25, 3rd down coming up.....incomplete. 4th down.

Hambone
September 5th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Fake FG and the Sioux pick up the first down! Let's get in for the TD!

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Fake FG - Sioux get the First Down.. on the TT 18

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I love the call - UND going for it - 1st and Goal from the 9 yard line

The Sheriff
Well right now, the TT score, at first it was no good, conceding the second surge, now the revue call by UND and the scorn of the UND announcers saying why not the refs have been wrong on all the call before.

Play stands.

UND played Wisconsin some years back... so probably not.

SDFS
TD Fighting Sioux

Hambone
Sioux TD!!!!! Sutton with a 9 yard run!!!

igo4uni
September 5th, 2009, 08:39 PM
following too many games..........what's the score??

Go Sioux!!

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:39 PM
12 plays 71 yard TD - drive - Sioux playing tough - UND 13 TT 28 middle of the 4th Q..

The Sheriff
September 5th, 2009, 08:42 PM

Play stands.

Aren't all reviews official booth reviews... and not the choice of the coaches? I might be wrong. It might vary by conference.

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Nice drive!

Hambone
Sioux with the pick! Sioux get it at the 40 yard line! Joel S with his 3rd pick of the game!

SDFS
INT for UND - ball at 40 yard line..

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM
right now the UND announcers are saying that TT is not playing a good game, they arent themselves. They are acknowledging the surprise of the score and situation.

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Big play coming up 3 and 10 at TT 43

TxnYote
September 5th, 2009, 08:50 PM
As a 'Yote alum, this is making me pretty nervous about the UND-USD game, the Sioux are hanging in there.

As a born and bred Aggie alum, this has me hopeful that A&M might possibly have a chance in Lubbock this year. Would love nothing more than to see a HUGE Sioux upset.

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:51 PM
UND punting ball away - TT on its 29 - score UND 13 and TT 28

TxnYote
September 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I think they're giving Tech too much credit. I mean, we're talking about a team that ended last season ranked in the top 15 or so and started off this season replacing a stud QB (in their system) and WR. Its going to take Tech a couple games to see if Hobbs is the real deal. This was a great time for UND to take their best shots out there.

darell1976
September 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Leetch is spazzing out on the field and no flags on him....Big 12 officials so i guess nothing will happen to him.

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I think they're giving Tech too much credit. I mean, we're talking about a team that ended last season ranked in the top 15 or so and started off this season replacing a stud QB (in their system) and WR. Its going to take Tech a couple games to see if Hobbs is the real deal. This was a great time for UND to take their best shots out there.

Yes, I agree, but UND is starting a new QB with numerous new starters on the offense. So, I am thrilled with how the Sioux are playing right now and it is not over yet..

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Wow!! UND announcers are so uncomplimentary about the officials. Mocking them. Not a good way to be. They need a little more objectivity. Too provincial, not profensional.

Then they bash the scoreboard operator!!! They dont know the score!

Hambone
Yes, I agree, but UND is starting a new QB with numerous new starters on the offense. So, I am thrilled with how the Sioux are playing right now and it is not over yet..

Agreed - replacing a stud QB, a stud WR and a stud RB ourselves.

Sioux hold TT to a field goal. Now 31-13.

SDFS
TT gets a FG and it is now TT 31 UND 13 - so, it looks like it is a bit out of reach now..

darell1976
September 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Wow!! UND announcers are so uncomplimentary about the officials. Mocking them. Not a good way to be. They need a little more objectivity. Too provincial, not profensional.

There is a coaches box and Leetch has been out of that box all night and not one flag on him. Why have a box when the refs don't flag you for being out of it.

TxnYote
September 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM

Eh....I disagree. When I watch a National or Televised broadcast, I'll expect to hear an unbiased commentary (expect when Musberger is calling the game, that guy is a worse frontrunner than most Red Sox fans). But if I'm listening to my team's broadcast, I'm ok with them having a slant towards us.

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM
400 yds to 200 yds

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Sioux go three and out... punting

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 09:05 PM
come Sioux D - finish the game strong..

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 09:08 PM
TT is in complete control now.

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Darn - TT TD - score TT 38 UND 13 - 2:05 left in the 4th Q..

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 09:09 PM
ISU will give TT all they can handle.

This game was a statistical domination by TT not really reflected in the score.

darell1976
September 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Good game UND we will have a better chance in 2 weeks against NW St.

gjw007
September 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Eh....I disagree. When I watch a National or Televised broadcast, I'll expect to hear an unbiased commentary (expect when Musberger is calling the game, that guy is a worse frontrunner than most Red Sox fans). But if I'm listening to my team's broadcast, I'm ok with them having a slant towards us.
For JBB, his objectivity toward UND is tinted. It will be interesting to see the reaction when TT beats Iowa State.

Hambone
September 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM
ISU will give TT all they can handle.

This game was a statistical domination by TT not really reflected in the score.

Well, TT did replace some people, but considering UND has 9 new starters on offense, I don't think them getting a little over 200 yards is too bad. They had 3 nice, long efficient drives.

darell1976
September 5th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Remember JBB we are in only our second year of transistion....This isn't Ball St. or a 2 win Gophers team we played tonight.

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 09:12 PM
If you are cheering first downs thats a reasonable conclusion. There were some good drives.

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Final Score Texas Tech 38 and UND 13.... nice effort by the Sioux - I think that UND has a lot to build on!!

NDB
September 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Congrats to UND!

Too bad Texas Tech got that last ten points, so all the ding-dongs who don't follow closely will think it was a blowout, which it certainly was not.

JBB
Remember JBB we are in only our second year of transistion....This isn't Ball St. or a 2 win Gophers team we played tonight.

NDSU won those games. This was a route. No contest. Lets wait for the stats. What you are going to see is a very poor comparision.

Mussman, well what can you say?

BobbyMo
Well done UND, best of luck this year.

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM

Are you serious?!?!? - listen to a NDSU broadcast sometime.. good grief - you are a better person than this stuff - come on

darell1976
September 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM
NDSU won those games. This was a route. No contest. Lets wait for the stats. What you are going to see is a very poor comparision.

Mussman, well what can you say?

60-3 is a route, 49-6 is a route

38-13 is a tough game and for TT a team that challenged for the national title last year to put up only 38 on a team in its second year of transition...that game was very respectable!!

TxnYote
September 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Final Score Texas Tech 38 and UND 13.... nice effort by the Sioux - I think that UND has a lot to build on!!

Very true. Moral Victories are pretty lame, but the UND defense should definitely get a confidence boost from this effort.

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 09:20 PM
You act like Im making it up SDFS. Thats what I heard. Its not about me at all, its about the announcers.

TxnYote
September 5th, 2009, 09:20 PM

38-13 is a tough game and for TT a team that challenged for the national title last year to put up only 38 on a team in its second year of transition...that game was very respectable!!

66 is a Route.

60-3 is a rout.

xthumbsupx

darell1976
September 5th, 2009, 09:21 PM
66 is a Route.

60-3 is a rout.

xthumbsupx

xlolxxlolxxlolx

SDFS
September 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
You act like Im making it up SDFS. Thats what I heard. Its not about me at all, its about the announcers.

I think the important thing to remember is they are seeing the action and calling it as they see it... since we have no video it is hard to disagree with the commentary - and if you do not like Sioux announcers you have an option. Listen to TT radio broadcast.. peace

JBB
September 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM
The actual definition of a rout is a loss by 3 TDs. This was a route. If UND fans want a moral victory thats great. TT found out a lot about their team tonight. They looked at a lot of guys and gave some of their premier players a good game experience. Of course UND is going to build on this.

There is little question TT overlooked UND a bit. They arent the team they were last year either. They lost a lot of talent. It will be interesting to watch them. They are going to have to build from here to repeat the success they had in the Big 12 last year.

For UND, I dont know. They had a few bright spots on both sides of the ball. Pretty solid QB play but I dont think his stats are very impressive. The defense was outclassed but there might be some players there that can make a difference later.

darell1976
September 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM
The actual definition of a rout is a loss by 3 TDs. This was a route. If UND fans want a moral victory thats great. TT found out a lot about their team tonight. They looked at a lot of guys and gave some of their premier players a good game experience. Of course UND is going to build on this.

There is little question TT overlooked UND a bit. They arent the team they were last year either. They lost a lot of talent. It will be interesting to watch them. They are going to have to build from here to repeat the success they had in the Big 12 last year.

For UND, I dont know. They had a few bright spots on both sides of the ball. Pretty solid QB play but I dont think his stats are very impressive. The defense was outclassed but there might be some players there that can make a difference later.

By the looks of all the predictions of the winning margin being what over 40 or 50 points i would say they overlooked UND a lot!!! 25 point loss is a big difference.

Hammerhead
September 5th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure I would call 38-13 a rout when a respectable team from the FBS beats any FCS team, much less one that is still in transition from D-II.

It's not that much worse than the loss NDSU had a Iowa sate.

The Sheriff
September 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM
guys, JBB is just trying to instigate something. He instigates or is involved in 90% of Sioux/Bison scrums on the internet, but yet hides behind the notion that UND fans are the hostile and tasteless bunch.

da_Bison
September 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM
good game UND, and definitely respectable!

SteelCurtain
September 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM
good game UND, and definitely respectable!

Totally agree!!! Great game Sioux!!!! Good luck the rest of the year..

JBB you are clueless!!!!

Gil Dobie
September 5th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Nice game by UND xthumbsupx

McNeese75
September 5th, 2009, 11:03 PM
That really is a decent game at TT

JSUBison
September 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM
For JBB, his objectivity toward UND is tinted. It will be interesting to see the reaction when TT beats Iowa State.

They don't play each other this year.

NDSUDude
September 6th, 2009, 12:09 AM
They don't play each other this year.

Aren't they in the same conference though

JSUBison
September 6th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Aren't they in the same conference though

ISU-B12 North
TTU-B12 South

Unless ISU and TTU meet in the conference championship. Like that's going to happen. xlolx

Shawn-O
September 6th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I'm not a huge fan of moral victories, but in this case UND exceeded expectations and that's probably all we can ask. The game will be to the benefit of the program long-term. And thanks to the NDSU fans on this thread for the classy remarks! :)xthumbsupx

JBB
September 6th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Totally agree!!! Great game Sioux!!!! Good luck the rest of the year..

JBB you are clueless!!!!

Im sorry but your remark has no basis in fact. Fall all over yourself insulting me or praising UND but clueless is calling this some kind of good football or a competitive contest.

405 yards passing is the only stat you need.

Im reading how UND had the advantage in time of possession! LOL, TT was rolling yards up so fast there is no way they could win the time of possession.

UND had 207 total yards. Even a blind squirrel finds a acorn now and then, but to say this was a good game is ignorant.

It might have been satisfying because the loss wasnt by 50 points but this was not a good game for either team. UND is trying to build a football team and TT is trying to maintain a championship team. They had a lot of new faces out there too.

I am simply amazed how some of you react when faced with the truth. How you make this about me is a statement about your contempt because Im not misreading the stats or the game and what it proved. You may want to have your feel good party but please get real. Declaring a moral victory is certainly your right, probably a need at this point, but Im not on that band wagon. Im calling it like I see it:

A completely one sided game that was never in doubt and the losers are reduced to cheering first downs and looking for positives in a moral victory.

The Sheriff
September 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Im sorry but your remark has no basis in fact. Fall all over yourself insulting me or praising UND but clueless is calling this some kind of good football or a competitive contest.

405 yards passing is the only stat you need.

Im reading how UND had the advantage in time of possession! LOL, TT was rolling yards up so fast there is no way they could win the time of possession.

UND had 207 total yards. Even a blind squirrel finds a acorn now and then, but to say this was a good game is ignorant.

It might have been satisfying because the loss wasnt by 50 points but this was not a good game for either team. UND is trying to build a football team and TT is trying to maintain a championship team. They had a lot of new faces out there too.

I am simply amazed how some of you react when faced with the truth. How you make this about me is a statement about your contempt because Im not misreading the stats or the game and what it proved. You may want to have your feel good party but please get real. Declaring a moral victory is certainly your right, probably a need at this point, but Im not on that band wagon. Im calling it like I see it:

A completely one sided game that was never in doubt and the losers are reduced to cheering first downs and looking for positives in a moral victory.

You schedule a game against teams like TT for a variety of reasons:

a) a paycheck
b) to come away with some positive things to build on
c) exposure

UND accomplished all three. This is why many UND fans are pleased despite the scoreboard.

We found out we have a QB that is going to make good decisions under pressure and won't make mistakes. We found out our Defensive Line is going to be a strength this year. We found out we are pretty green up front on the OL and will need to polish the running game for the FCS part of the schedule.

Despite giving up 400 yds passing, I thought that the secondary did a lot of good things. According to the radio, their QB was confused and probably stumps by some of the looks.

So yes, the scoreboard and the stat sheet probably indicated something different, but with 9 new starters on offense and some question marks from last year appearing to be a little stronger this year, there's a lot to feel good about.

The Bison played a nice game themselves on Thursday night, and as I've noted on other boards, there was a lot to bring away from that game. I look for you to be stronger next week and as the season goes on. Probably near the top of the Valley.

pcola
September 6th, 2009, 02:34 PM
A completely one sided game that was never in doubt and the losers are reduced to cheering first downs and looking for positives in a moral victory.I would say the true losers are the ones on a message board desperately trying to downplay a nice effort by a team you quite obviously hate. Visit the Texas Tech message board if you want some real perspective. http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=188&f=1650&t=4709019&p=1

The Sheriff
September 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I would say the true losers are the ones on a message board desperately trying to downplay a nice effort by a team you quite obviously hate. Visit the Texas Tech message board if you want some real perspective. http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=188&f=1650&t=4709019&p=1

...and that thing about exposing weaknesses = good coaching.

bincitysioux
September 6th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Not big on moral victories either, but the best part of the game was when midway through the 4th quarter, Mike Leach was forced to go for the field goal, which he hates to do against Texas much less North Dakota, in order to make it a 3 possession game. There was a point in this game where he had to think about preserving a victory.

The final score was lopsided and the game was never in question, but the North Dakota defense severely frustrated one of the most prolific offenses of major college football pretty much all night.

Sure, the Sioux gave up 400+ yards passing. I bet more than half of Texas Tech's Big 12 opponents this season will do the same..........

NDB
September 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Not big on moral victories either, but the best part of the game was when midway through the 4th quarter, Mike Leach was forced to go for the field goal, which he hates to do against Texas much less North Dakota, in order to make it a 3 possession game. There was a point in this game where he had to think about preserving a victory.

The final score was lopsided and the game was never in question, but the North Dakota defense severely frustrated one of the most prolific offenses of major college football pretty much all night.

Sure, the Sioux gave up 400+ yards passing. I bet more than half of Texas Tech's Big 12 opponents this season will do the same..........

xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

F'N Hawks
September 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM

2nd half = 0 Penalties. ZERO. Therefore, the coaching staff became infinitely better over the 20 minute halftime break. Amazing. xrolleyesx

I was at the game, it was a awesome experience. UND had a chance to cut it to a one score game when it was 28-13 in the middle of the 4th quarter after the 3rd pick by Schwenzfier but the offense couldn't get past midfield. That would have made things real interesting because Leach was not happy at this point. Evidence of that was when he was 10 yards on the field arguing about a Illegal Procedure penalty and ended up throwing his headset into the turf.

We gave a it run but obviously didn't have enough guys to hang with them. UND is in their second year of transition and nobody has played a FBS team, let alone a powerhouse, in their 2nd year of transition. NOBODY (cause you don't count towards a bowl game). So its hard to compare how they would have done versus other teams. We still have 3 years of transition left and alot of time to recruit better players and keep getting better. It's not a race.

darell1976
September 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM
2nd half = 0 Penalties. ZERO. Therefore, the coaching staff became infinitely better over the 20 minute halftime break. Amazing. xrolleyesx

I was at the game, it was a awesome experience. UND had a chance to cut it to a one score game when it was 28-13 in the middle of the 4th quarter after the 3rd pick by Schwenzfier but the offense couldn't get past midfield. That would have made things real interesting because Leach was not happy at this point. Evidence of that was when he was 10 yards on the field arguing about a Illegal Procedure penalty and ended up throwing his headset into the turf.

We gave a it run but obviously didn't have enough guys to hang with them. UND is in their second year of transition and nobody has played a FBS team, let alone a powerhouse, in their 2nd year of transition. NOBODY (cause you don't count towards a bowl game). So its hard to compare how they would have done versus other teams. We still have 3 years of transition left and alot of time to recruit better players and keep getting better. It's not a race.

I would have loved to have been at the game. I think the Sioux did great.

JBB
September 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
This is the most hoopla I have ever seen a fan base make over a 25 point loss that was nowhere as close as the score indicates!!

I would be a little concerned about the lack of offense. One drive in the third quarter and the game had been out of reach since the score was 14-0 early in the first.

Giving up 445 yds without any push-back from your own offense is what I would be concerned about. The new QB did pretty well but its going to be tough going unless that O line gets better.

As far as the defense goes there isnt much to cheer there either. The problems TT had in getting the points they should have out of the tremendous offensive production they had was of their own making. There was one good stand, otherwise it was a long afternoon.

Nobody can look at that box score and get the impression this was a decent football game. Ill give you the intangibles exposure etc, but even they have pretty slim pickings. I can understand your enthusiasm about your ability go in only one direction though and thats up.

darell1976
September 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM
This is the most hoopla I have ever seen a fan base make over a 25 point loss that was nowhere as close as the score indicates!!

I would be a little concerned about the lack of offense. One drive in the third quarter and the game had been out of reach since the score was 14-0 early in the first.

Giving up 445 yds without any push-back from your own offense is what I would be concerned about. The new QB did pretty well but its going to be tough going unless that O line gets better.

As far as the defense goes there isnt much to cheer there either. The problems TT had in getting the points they should have out of the tremendous offensive production they had was of their own making. There was one good stand, otherwise it was a long afternoon.

Nobody can look at that box score and get the impression this was a decent football game. Ill give you the intangibles exposure etc, but even they have pretty slim pickings. I can understand your enthusiasm about your ability go in only one direction though and thats up.

Typical Bison fan...always hating a Sioux fan being proud of his team. Why don't you rally your team since they have playoffs to play for, we don't.

NDB
September 7th, 2009, 06:12 PM

UND played Texas Tech last Saturday, not last year.

Shawn-O
September 7th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Im seeing the glass half full. That was, in my opinion, a good first game.

Sound familiar? And hey, thanks for your unwavering interest in Fighting Sioux Football.

F'N Hawks
September 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Out of all I said in that post, you pick that sentence. Sad. (FYI, TT had 9 starters back on defense...a defense that couldn't have been too bad when you go 11-2).

Bison fans have never seen a team as fast as Texas Tech so you just don't understand. I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck this season, we are hoping for a good season as are you.

Gil Dobie
September 7th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Out of all I said in that post, you pick that sentence. Sad. (FYI, TT had 9 starters back on defense...a defense that couldn't have been too bad when you go 11-2).

Bison fans have never seen a team as fast as Texas Tech so you just don't understand. I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck this season, we are hoping for a good season as are you.

FWIW, Texas Tech was rated #79 last year in total defense out of 119 teams.

NCAA.org (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org&div=IA&dest=O)

77 Toledo 12 829 4577 5.52 48 381.42 3 9 0
78 Colorado 12 836 4579 5.48 41 381.58 5 7 0
79 Texas Tech 13 890 4974 5.59 46 382.62 11 2 0
80 Minnesota 13 873 4987 5.71 37 383.62 7 6 0
81 Temple 12 899 4656 5.18 35 388.00 5 7 0
82 Oregon 13 1034 5065 4.90 44 389.62 10 3 0

Shawn-O
September 7th, 2009, 06:56 PM
FWIW, Texas Tech was rated #79 last year in total defense out of 119 teams.

NCAA.org (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org&div=IA&dest=O)

77 Toledo 12 829 4577 5.52 48 381.42 3 9 0
78 Colorado 12 836 4579 5.48 41 381.58 5 7 0
79 Texas Tech 13 890 4974 5.59 46 382.62 11 2 0
80 Minnesota 13 873 4987 5.71 37 383.62 7 6 0
81 Temple 12 899 4656 5.18 35 388.00 5 7 0
82 Oregon 13 1034 5065 4.90 44 389.62 10 3 0

Good for 5th in the Big 12. xcoolx;)

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2008/Internet/conf%20stats/2008000025354TD.HTML

JBB
September 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Team speed is a weakness your team has. I think it was UND that has never seen a team that fast.

There seems to be this comparison to the NDSU game, in fact we have one poster actually going over to bisonsports.com to bring comments on that game to this thread. The difference in the two games and the outlook for the losing teams is the actual performance on the field. There is nothing to take home from the 200 yard offensive display and the 445 yds given up on defense. You are looking at one drive late in the game, a game that was over after 2 minutes of play and a few defensive plays. The 3 down goal line stand was the high point resulting in a TTU TD. The problems TTU had were mostly of their own making.

NDSU on the other hand had a good night in Ames. If ISU wasnt as good as they are we had enough offense to win on any given saturday.

There were a lot of yds given up but it was that kind of night. ISU is fast and good with a great offensive scheme and a top notch QB to make it all work. I liked the team speed NDSU showed, we have to pick it up a bit with our linebacker play but overall the defense looked very good, giving all they got and matching up well against a superior roster.

Kolpack is saying wins over FBS teams are for the most part no longer upsets. He cites the close scores, but almost all of the close scores were wins for the FBS. Keeping it close, even losing by 25, is no sign the game was close. The FBS teams are testing their rosters, warming up their starters and playing the bench. The FCS teams are playing all out every down. UND gave it all they had, TTU was warming up. Same for the BISON. What I liked about the NDSU game was the way it looked on paper. NDSU actually looked like they were in it, they were, and the stats show that.

Shawn-O
September 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Team speed is a weakness your team has. I think it was UND that has never seen a team that fast.

There seems to be this comparison to the NDSU game, in fact we have one poster actually going over to bisonsports.com to bring comments on that game to this thread. The difference in the two games and the outlook for the losing teams is the actual performance on the field. There is nothing to take home from the 200 yard offensive display and the 445 yds given up on defense. You are looking at one drive late in the game, a game that was over after 2 minutes of play and a few defensive plays. The 3 down goal line stand was the high point resulting in a TTU TD. The problems TTU had were mostly of their own making.

NDSU on the other hand had a good night in Ames. If ISU wasnt as good as they are we had enough offense to win on any given saturday.

There were a lot of yds given up but it was that kind of night. ISU is fast and good with a great offensive scheme and a top notch QB to make it all work. I liked the team speed NDSU showed, we have to pick it up a bit with our linebacker play but overall the defense looked very good, giving all they got and matching up well against a superior roster.

Kolpack is saying wins over FBS teams are for the most part no longer upsets. He cites the close scores, but almost all of the close scores were wins for the FBS. Keeping it close, even losing by 25, is no sign the game was close. The FBS teams are testing their rosters, warming up their starters and playing the bench. The FCS teams are playing all out every down. UND gave it all they had, TTU was warming up. Same for the BISON. What I liked about the NDSU game was the way it looked on paper. NDSU actually looked like they were in it, they were, and the stats show that.

Take the War & Peace NDSU game analysis to your own thread.

F'N Hawks
September 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM

And to think, you know so much about how the game went and your weren't even there! And it wasn't on TV. Your good.

Oh, and giving up 445 yards to TT is not bad, in fact, its pretty damn good. Take a peek at how the last 3 FCS teams did.

NDB
September 7th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Out of all I said in that post, you pick that sentence.

Yeah, because it's ridiculous. Texas Tech is not expected to be a powerhouse this year, not even close.

And then you try to change the topic toTexas Tech's defense? Give me a break, some of us have followed the Big 12 for more than a week.

Shawn-O
September 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM
And to think, you know so much about how the game went and your weren't even there! And it wasn't on TV. Your good.

Oh, and giving up 445 yards to TT is not bad, in fact, its pretty damn good. Take a peek at how the last 3 FCS teams did.

That's okay, let him cuddle up to the box score against the perennial Big XII doormat. Bring on the competition indeed!

dlsiouxfan
September 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM

This part here is where you demonstrate that you don't know a single thing about college football. Iowa State is a terrible FBS program and will be luck to get a win within the Big 12 this year. Their a perennial doormat and your team lost by three scores.

Shawn-O
September 7th, 2009, 08:07 PM

Here's how it looks on paper to me:

NDSU 0-1
UND 0-1

darell1976
September 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Since 2005 the last time Iowa State finished with a winning record total records from 2006-2008: Iowa State 9-27 Texas Tech 28-11...Big difference in opponents.

NDB
September 7th, 2009, 09:01 PM
And like shawn-o pointed out, both NDSU and UND lost.

Hambone
September 7th, 2009, 09:07 PM

NDSU 0-1
UND 0-1

And that's the bottom line....

I guess I'm not sure why JBB cares so much that we feel good about our performance. I would guarantee you that if the same thing had happened to the Bison during their second year, they would be doing the same thing.

Thundar
September 7th, 2009, 09:08 PM

NDSU 0-1
UND 0-1

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxbowxxbowxxbowx

xdizzyx

JBB
September 7th, 2009, 10:07 PM

I guess I'm not sure why JBB cares so much that we feel good about our performance. I would guarantee you that if the same thing had happened to the Bison during their second year, they would be doing the same thing.

Its nice you think so much of me that you would actually wonder about my motives, but this is a case of the emperor having no clothes. I dont care how you feel, I just offered up an objective opinion based on the box score and the broadcast. Sure its 0-1 for both teams, but that is ignoring all other facts. But hey, if that was a good performance in your eyes have at it. To me its poor judgment.

ISU is a weaker FBS team, but NDSU plays in the FCS. ISU would be a fantastic FCS team, probably national championship caliber.

bincitysioux
September 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM

........And NDSU played and beat Minnesota in 2007, not 1963. xreadx

xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

I see you highlighted and rolled your eyes at my comment about Texas Tech needing to "preserve a victory", but you ignored the second paragraph of my post where I said that the outcome of the game was never in question.

Having said that, Tech had three 4th and goal to go situations in the 2nd half..........they were denied the first time, barely scored a questionable TD the second time, and opted for the FG the third time. Given the fact that Coach Leach loves to run it up on inferior opponents, and in the past has always used OOC games against FCS teams as a chance to excercise his team's offensive muscle, it is pretty hard (as a North Dakota fan xthumbsupx ) to not point out that he opted for the points the third time to make it a 3 possession game late in the 4th quarter. I can't blame him, after all, if you listened to the game it was apparent that for about a 10-12 minute stretch prior to Tech's FG from the late 3rd quarter to the middle to late 4th quarter that North Dakota had most of the game's momentum by executing a long time consuming TD drive, picking off a TT pass, and forcing a punt.

And forgive me, but I think it is pretty stupid for opposing fans of two schools who haven't played each other for 6 years to argue about who had the "better" loss on opening day. xnutsx But if you want to go down that road, which would you rather have.............a 17 point loss to Iowa St., or a 25 point loss to Texas Tech. I'm just askin'.......

SDFS
September 8th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Its nice you think so much of me that you would actually wonder about my motives, but this is a case of the emperor having no clothes. I dont care how you feel, I just offered up an objective opinion based on the box score and the broadcast. Sure its 0-1 for both teams, but that is ignoring all other facts. But hey, if that was a good performance in your eyes have at it. To me its poor judgment.

ISU is a weaker FBS team, but NDSU plays in the FCS. ISU would be a fantastic FCS team, probably national championship caliber.

I think everyone recognizes that you have studied the box score very closely and you have chosen a couple of stats to make your point like passing yard for TT, total yards for UND and the final score. They are all worthy stats. But, they can be misleading without the context of game conditions, game plan, injuries – I could go on and on..

So, when you say total yards of 440 to 200 you are statically correct. But you are missing the context of the game plan. Simply put, the UND coaches knew that a FCS program in transition would have a very hard time matching up with a program that has had the success that TT has had since Coach Leach has taken over. He has a system in place that rolls up points and yards at will. I know many comments have been made that was last year and Harrell/Crabtree are gone. But, the system is still in place and prior to Harrell/Crabtree it was BJ Symons/Wes Welker and prior to him it was Kliff Kingsbury.. I think you get the point.

I think the UND coaches put together a good game plan to play ball control on offense and prevent the big play on defense with a bend but do not break type of approach. This type of game plan tends to give up yards and minimize points on defense and minimize offensive yards and place an emphasis on no penalties and turnovers. So, in the context of the game plan – the passing yardage and yardage difference between UND/TT is overstated. In my opinion, based on the game plan. The key stats are passing efficiency, penalties, third down efficiency and turnovers. In those stats, UND had a mixed bag:

Passing Efficiency – 20 of 28 – very nice and this is what allowed UND to stay in the game.

Turnovers – UND was +2 – again, this allowed UND to stay in the game. The fumbled punt in the 3rd quarter was costly.

Third down efficiency 4 of 13 – UND lost that battle.

Penalties 9 – 67 – early penalties hurt the Sioux and I believe that one of first two drives for TT was extended because of a penalty. But, no penalties in the second half helped keep UND in the game.

No refuting the score as a stat – UND lost.

So for me the positives are:

1) Good game plan by the coach staff and UND was able to enforce its will against TT. I don’t think TT expected UND to force another turnover and have the ball at mid field with a score of 13 to 28 with 10:00 min left in the 4th Q. I believe that got coach Leach’s attention.

2) QB with good decision making and takes care of ball. More will be expected in the future so the jury is still out.

3) Defensive secondary with some play makers – three turnovers

4) Defensive line that caused some problems with the running game and
in general disrupted TT.

Overall, I am seeing positives with the program. This was UND’s 11th FCS game and the vast majority of the starters in this game were Sophomores/Juniors/Seniors starting for the first time that where Div II recruits. The only FCS recruits playing in the game were true Freshman and/or RS-Freshman playing for the first time or non RS Sophomores who have 10 games of experience facing a handful of games against FCS teams and another handful of games against Div II/NAIA teams. In addition to all of this, UND has had to overcome the loss of a head coach and staff to Southern Illinois which disrupted the first recruiting class and coaching staff. So, forgive UND fans if they get a little excited about the play of the team in a loss. So, JBB your stats are correct, but you are missing the context of why UND fans are proud of a loss.

NDB
September 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM
........And NDSU played and beat Minnesota in 2007, not 1963. xreadx

?

I said nothing about the University of Minnesota.

I see you highlighted and rolled your eyes at my comment about Texas Tech needing to "preserve a victory", but you ignored the second paragraph of my post where I said that the outcome of the game was never in question.

Hey, if you want to post logically incompatible statements that's up to you.

I'm not arguing who had a better loss. I'm just confused why some UND fans have to distort reality to make the game look better than it did. Texas Tech is powerhouse, Texas Tech has a notable defense, Texas Tech was worried about losing the game. That's all b.s. and every time someone brings it up it discounts the good game that UND brought to Lubbock.

SteelCurtain
September 8th, 2009, 09:56 AM

It's just blind hate....JBB actually hates UND and never wants to play them again..keeps spouting off about the FFD and the great NDSU/SDSU battle.

Sioux fans and Bison fans getting into a pissing match about who had a better loss...

Funny stuff!!!

My take is Iowa State will be better than previous years(not hard to do) TT will be down from where they were...But both teams(UND/NDSU) took a lot of positive things out of their games. How that translates the rest of the season we will soon find out.

Both teams had a lot of question marks going into the game and had to be pleasantly surprised by the outcomes..

GradBison
September 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM

True that. Good game UND!

darell1976
September 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM
It's just blind hate....JBB actually hates UND and never wants to play them again..keeps spouting off about the FFD and the great NDSU/SDSU battle.

Sioux fans and Bison fans getting into a pissing match about who had a better loss...

Funny stuff!!!

My take is Iowa State will be better than previous years(not hard to do) TT will be down from where they were...But both teams(UND/NDSU) took a lot of positive things out of their games. How that translates the rest of the season we will soon find out.
Both teams had a lot of question marks going into the game and had to be pleasantly surprised by the outcomes..

AMEN!!!!xthumbsupx

The Sheriff
September 8th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Ok... who's ready for week 2????

OrygunBison
September 8th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Great game, UND. If it had been us on the second year of our transition, we'd still be bragging about it. Gloat all you want. Wallow in it. It is well deserved.

Don't let the idiots get you down... and please don't feed it anymore.

darell1976
September 9th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Great game, UND. If it had been us on the second year of our transition, we'd still be bragging about it. Gloat all you want. Wallow in it. It is well deserved.

Don't let the idiots get you down... and please don't feed it anymore.

Actually IMO and my opinion only i would think you guys could have had a closer game with TT. You guys were really good in your transition years you could have given TT a run for their money.

F'N Hawks
September 9th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Well, after all this hype and how happy we are with how we played, the UND players better be ready to get some wins and validate their effort. It all goes for not if they don't go down to Northwestern St and Stephen F Austin in back to back weeks and get at least 1 win.

Going to Texas, Louisiana, Texas for the first 3 games is ridiculous but they need to be 1-2 at the worst when they head home for the USD game. 2-1 obviously would be ideal.

JBB
September 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Very nice post. Rep points for you!

So for me the positives are:

1) Good game plan by the coach staff and UND was able to enforce its will against TT. I don’t think TT expected UND to force another turnover and have the ball at mid field with a score of 13 to 28 with 10:00 min left in the 4th Q. I believe that got coach Leach’s attention.

2) QB with good decision making and takes care of ball. More will be expected in the future so the jury is still out.

3) Defensive secondary with some play makers – three turnovers

4) Defensive line that caused some problems with the running game and
in general disrupted TT.

Overall, I am seeing positives with the program. .... So, forgive UND fans if they get a little excited about the play of the team in a loss. So, JBB your stats are correct, but you are missing the context of why UND fans are proud of a loss.

20-28 passing was good. Unfortunately it had no impact on the game. There were no TD passes. 4-13 on 3 downs tells me it didnt sustain any drives and the 6.7 yds/catch told me no big plays.

The three turnovers were good! All by one guy too. TT did have 2 TD passes and burned your secondary for over 400 yds though. I also agree their running game wasnt much, only 53 yds, but they did run 48 pass plays and scored 3 TDs rushing.

I enjoy your enthusiasm and spirit for your team. Im just keeping it real. Some of us are a little more objective when we review the box score. Just like Bison fans are being overly negative right now I think UND fans are a bit manic about Satudays game.

darell1976
September 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Well UND has 2 weeks to get the bugs out of their offense and to fine tune the defense for their 2nd and 3rd games on the UND Southern US Tour.

SDFS
September 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
20-28 passing was good. Unfortunately it had no impact on the game. There were no TD passes. 4-13 on 3 downs tells me it didnt sustain any drives and the 6.7 yds/catch told me no big plays.

True, but - I don't think big plays are an option for UND against TT - Bamba needs to work on his consitantancy. I think you will see more athetes for UND in future as they complete the transition.

I enjoy your enthusiasm and spirit for your team. Im just keeping it real. Some of us are a little more objective when we review the box score. Just like Bison fans are being overly negative right now I think UND fans are a bit manic about Satudays game.

Well, I have been waiting 7 years for UND to start playing FCS. So, I am pumped. I know that your not a big fan of Mussman. But, I have been impressed. I think the next two years will be interesting to see how it plays out!!

On to your Bison... you need to stop recruiting RB - save some for the Sioux.. you looked three deep to me against ISU. Your QB is going to be fine. Playoffs for the Bison comes down to the SDSU game. Plus MVFC, needs another conf commish.. that statement last year during playoff selection process was a joke ... MVFC only deserves two teams!! WHAT!?!?! I don't care if that is what you think - you have to go to bat for your schools - good grief!