PDA

View Full Version : GSU Versus Albany Pregame

Gringer1
September 5th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I hope to be able to do a little pregame summary for most of the teams Georgia Southern will face this year including some of my own thoughts and information gathered from other sources. So, without further ado, here's the first installment.

ALBANY (N.Y.) vs. GEORGIA SOUTHERN
Saturday, September 5, 2009

PAULSON STADIUM
Statesboro, Georgia

KICKOFF 6 p.m. EST

https://admin.xosn.com//pics22/160/ON/ONBKGICKAOWHKGA.20090831184922.jpghttp://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics29/360/AD/ADIOSUCMROIVNZJ.20071217201536.jpghttps://admin.xosn.com//pics11/160/YJ/YJGYANNBEILHDLB.20090901211207.jpg

Weather

Temperature: 89°F
Heat Index: 94°F
Humidity: 51%

Albany
COACH: Bob Ford
OVERALL RECORD:
234-165-1 (40 years)
RECORD AT ALBANY:
225-143 (36 years)

GSU
COACH: Chris Hatcher
OVERALL RECORD:
89-21 (9 years)
RECORD AT GSU:
13-9 (2 years)

Impact Players

Albany

Running Back- David McCarty: 1,852 rushing yards and 2,208 all-purpose yards. All-American. Walter Payton Award watch list.

Quarterback- Vinny Esposito: Threw for 1,934 yards in 2008 with 13 touchdowns, completing 60.3 percent of his passes.

Line Backer- Justin Brancaccio: Preseason all NEC pick, led the Great Danes with 91 tackles, including four TFL.

Safety- Dave Casale intercepted seven passes last year and finished with 74 tackles.

Georgia Southern

Quarterback- Lee Chapple: finished the 2008 campaign as the starter. Threw for 787 yards and five touchdowns, with a 64.5 completion percentage.

Running Back- Adam Urbano: 304 yards and 7 touchdowns. Southern Conference All-Freshman Team.

Linebacker- Dion Dubose: 32 tackles. 4 TFL last year.

Defensive Back- Darrell Pasco: 36 tackles last year and broke up eight passes. averaged 22.6 yards on 20 kickoff returns, good for third in the SoCon and 59th nationally. Returned a kickoff 45 yards in the opener at Georgia.

Things to Look For

Albany plays tough hard hitting football while GSU plays more toward speed. The Eagles will be looking to fully institute the "Hatch Attack" offense with this game; expect lots of passing. Albany will want to run the ball straight at the Eagles defense and try to power through, but the passing game will not be neglected. Albany will air the ball out when the situation calls for it and to keep the defense from cheating up, but their strong suit is the ground game. Paulson Stadium should be packed with Georgia Southern fans fired up for a new season, creating a strong home field setting for the Eagles. The weather will be fairly hot, but if it will be a problem Albany remains to be seen. The Eagles really want to get back into the playoffs and with the SoCon such a tough race this year, an at large bid remains a top choice. Getting this at large bid will require out of conference wins. Albany wants this win to prove that they can play with the top teams in the FCS and to bring legitimacy to the NEC. Both teams believe this first game is critical to the rest of their season, so expect an exciting contest.

danefan
September 5th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I hope to be able to do a little pregame summary for most of the teams Georgia Southern will face this year including some of my own thoughts and information gathered from other sources. So, without further ado, here's the first installment.

ALBANY (N.Y.) vs. GEORGIA SOUTHERN
Saturday, September 5, 2009

PAULSON STADIUM
Statesboro, Georgia

KICKOFF 6 p.m. EST

https://admin.xosn.com//pics22/160/ON/ONBKGICKAOWHKGA.20090831184922.jpghttp://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics29/360/AD/ADIOSUCMROIVNZJ.20071217201536.jpghttps://admin.xosn.com//pics11/160/YJ/YJGYANNBEILHDLB.20090901211207.jpg

Weather

Temperature: 89°F
Heat Index: 94°F
Humidity: 51%

Albany
COACH: Bob Ford
OVERALL RECORD:
234-165-1 (40 years)
RECORD AT ALBANY:
225-143 (36 years)

GSU
COACH: Chris Hatcher
OVERALL RECORD:
89-21 (9 years)
RECORD AT GSU:
13-9 (2 years)

Impact Players

Albany

Running Back- David McCarty: 1,852 rushing yards and 2,208 all-purpose yards. All-American. Walter Payton Award watch list.

Quarterback- Vinny Esposito: Threw for 1,934 yards in 2008 with 13 touchdowns, completing 60.3 percent of his passes.

Line Backer- Justin Brancaccio: Preseason all NEC pick, led the Great Danes with 91 tackles, including four TFL.

Safety- Dave Casale intercepted seven passes last year and finished with 74 tackles.

Georgia Southern

Quarterback- Lee Chapple: finished the 2008 campaign as the starter. Threw for 787 yards and five touchdowns, with a 64.5 completion percentage.

Running Back- Adam Urbano: 304 yards and 7 touchdowns. Southern Conference All-Freshman Team.

Linebacker- Dion Dubose: 32 tackles. 4 TFL last year.

Defensive Back- Darrell Pasco: 36 tackles last year and broke up eight passes. averaged 22.6 yards on 20 kickoff returns, good for third in the SoCon and 59th nationally. Returned a kickoff 45 yards in the opener at Georgia.

Things to Look For

Albany plays tough hard hitting football while GSU plays more toward speed. The Eagles will be looking to fully institute the "Hatch Attack" offense with this game; expect lots of passing. Albany will want to run the ball straight at the Eagles defense and try to power through, but the passing game will not be neglected. Albany will air the ball out when the situation calls for it and to keep the defense from cheating up, but their strong suit is the ground game. Paulson Stadium should be packed with Georgia Southern fans fired up for a new season, creating a strong home field setting for the Eagles. The weather will be fairly hot, but if it will be a problem Albany remains to be seen. The Eagles really want to get back into the playoffs and with the SoCon such a tough race this year, an at large bid remains a top choice. Getting this at large bid will require out of conference wins. Albany wants this win to prove that they can play with the top teams in the FCS and to bring legitimacy to the NEC. Both teams believe this first game is critical to the rest of their season, so expect an exciting contest.

Exceptional write up! xthumbsupx I'm psyched for this game and the start of the season. Hopefully its a great contest and both teams get out injury free.xpeacex

blueballs
September 5th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Greetings from Coastal Georgia on gameday!!!

It was a beautiful, albeit hot, evening last night with a full moon. It would really be cool if we had a repeat of last night's weather for the game. Sat on the dock 'til about 1am with a couple of lines in the water, a cup of Jack, a good cigar, and some friends. The s--t was running deeeeeeeeeep...

For any Albany fans coming out to Paulson Saturday:

1) Please stop by our tailgate. We are on the last row by the soccer fieldhouse at the back of the stadium booster lot in the large tailgating area,rioght by the bathrooms in the soccer fieldhouse. Look for the red flag. Several of the GSU folks who post here and on GSUFans will be there and we'd love to meet you all.

2) Bring sunscreen and a hat. The visitor's side at Paulson faces the sun and it will be quite brutal for the first half of the game. 89 degrees at kickoff means 95 on the visitors sideline as the sun is directly in their eyes and the field is in a bowl. If there is a large crowd and little wind (like last night) it will be brutally hot on the visitor's sideline and on the field.

Do any of the Dane fans here know how many players you are bringing? Your ability to control the ball offensively, win the turnover stat, and not get into a spread 'em out shootout will be your keys. The heat could be a major factor if GSU is able to get ahead and dictate tempo.

Do take the time to see Beautiful Eagle Creek, the Parrish Building, and take in the stadium tailgating atmosphere before and after the game. Also, be sure to catch the videos played on the jumbotron right before the Eagles take the field as they feature some of the legendary moments and people not only in GSU history but the history of the division... Erk Russell, Tracy Ham, Raymond Gross, Adrian Peterson, Jayson Foster... it is very cool. GSU also has an Eagle fly from the pressbox down to the field and it is a really neat sight.

The traditions and atmosphere at Paulson on gameday is one of the things that make this division great and I hope you folks enjoy it- except between 6 and 9pm tonight when I hope y'all are downright miserable.:p

phoenixphanatic21
September 5th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Wow, please continue to do this every week. Great write up. Best of luck to you guys today against Albany.

Ivytalk
September 5th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Greetings from Coastal Georgia on gameday!!!

It was a beautiful, albeit hot, evening last night with a full moon. It would really be cool if we had a repeat of last night's weather for the game. Sat on the dock 'til about 1am with a couple of lines in the water, a cup of Jack, a good cigar, and some friends. The s--t was running deeeeeeeeeep...

For any Albany fans coming out to Paulson Saturday:

1) Please stop by our tailgate. We are on the last row by the soccer fieldhouse at the back of the stadium booster lot in the large tailgating area,rioght by the bathrooms in the soccer fieldhouse. Look for the red flag. Several of the GSU folks who post here and on GSUFans will be there and we'd love to meet you all.

2) Bring sunscreen and a hat. The visitor's side at Paulson faces the sun and it will be quite brutal for the first half of the game. 89 degrees at kickoff means 95 on the visitors sideline as the sun is directly in their eyes and the field is in a bowl. If there is a large crowd and little wind (like last night) it will be brutally hot on the visitor's sideline and on the field.

Do any of the Dane fans here know how many players you are bringing? Your ability to control the ball offensively, win the turnover stat, and not get into a spread 'em out shootout will be your keys. The heat could be a major factor if GSU is able to get ahead and dictate tempo.

Do take the time to see Beautiful Eagle Creek, the Parrish Building, and take in the stadium tailgating atmosphere before and after the game. Also, be sure to catch the videos played on the jumbotron right before the Eagles take the field as they feature some of the legendary moments and people not only in GSU history but the history of the division... Erk Russell, Tracy Ham, Raymond Gross, Adrian Peterson, Jayson Foster... it is very cool. GSU also has an Eagle fly from the pressbox down to the field and it is a really neat sight.

The traditions and atmosphere at Paulson on gameday is one of the things that make this division great and I hope you folks enjoy it- except between 6 and 9pm tonight when I hope y'all are downright miserable.:p

Bes wishes to you, Baldy, Eaglegus2, Eaglesrus, bobbythekidd and your respective spouses/significant others (or is it all spouses now?) on this blessed opening day!xnodxxthumbsupx

Dane96
September 5th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Good luck to both teams...I was so looking forward to this trip, but work (even on this labor day weekend) beckons.

I will have the DaneZone hooked up to the flat screen at work so I can partake in the festivities from a distance.

7 hours baby....7 hours!!!!

Gringer1
September 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Wrap Up

I'm not looking at any stats and I don't have things like time of possession with me, I'm just going to lay down my toughts and observations after this game.

Final Score
GSU 29 Albany 26

Albany

Pros

The offense was working for the Danes for most of the game and they certainly managed to put up some points.

The defense played a great first half.

The special teams managed long field goal (about 50 yards from memory).

Cons

The special teams had a disastrous extra point attempt at the end of the half that GSU ran back for 2.

The offense struggled late in the game.

Fumbles, miscues, and mental mistakes cost the Great Danes points and field position all night. I don't know the exact number, but there were a load of false starts, a few delays of game, and an illegal snap tossed in.

Georgia Southern

Pros

Most obvious one first, they managed to win against a good team.

The defense stood up when necessary and kept the team in the game for the first half with a pick 6 and extra point run back for 2.

Kicker Adrian Mora only missed one field goal and nailed the 30-45 yarder to win the game.

The offense stepped up in the second half, scoring and showing better possession.

There was a large crowd on hand. I don't know the official attendance, but GSU had an excellent turnout.

Cons

The offense started the game with a promising drive, but stalled. This set the tone for the rest of the half with the offense failing to score.

The offense seemed fairly sluggish compared to years past. Maybe it's just me or the fact that it was the first game, but the team seemed a little slower. Part of this could be because the offense huddled up frequently, a rarity at GSU in years past.

Overall Comments

Albany looked tough and is rightly favored to win the NEC.

Georgia Southern seems to have what it needs to do well in the SoCon, but almost all areas have to improve in order to compete with the conference elite.

Both teams can leave this one with a lot to be excited about, but also a lot to work on. Georgia Southern needs to get the speed and emotion of the offense ramped up. Albany needs to tighten up the little things like holding on to the ball and not commiting silly penalties.

All in all, both teams played very hard, good football.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 5th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I think once Chapple settles down and gets a rhythm established, our offense is good. UA's defense certainly isn't a slouch and McCarty is certainly probably one of the top 20 backs in the nation if not a top-10.