PDA

View Full Version : Upset watch: EKU down 6 to IU in the 4th

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
... and currently inside the 10 threatening to score.

(Assuming there will be a duplicate thread by the time I post this)

(Also, hello AGS. Haven't been back since November.)

purduecrum
September 3rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
You mean Eastern wasn't favored?

Boiler Up!

purduecrum
September 3rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
QB draw... inside of the 5... and fumble...

93henfan
September 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
That was a momentum killa.

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah, makes me want to take the thread down.

But hey, it's still a 6-point game.

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
EKU forces a punt, gets the ball back at their own 14. 10:42 to play.

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Colonels back across midfield, 2nd and 8 at the IU 46.

andy7171
September 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
EKU!
EKU!
EKU!
EKU!
EKU!

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
Drive stalls. EKU punts it to the 8.

Now 3rd & 1 IU at the 17.

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
First down, IU at the 23.

JaxSinfonian
Another first down, IU at the 35. Colonels out of gas?

danefan
QB platooning has killed whatever rythm EKU was able to get in the 2nd half.

danefan
September 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
holy cow what a home field spot. that was horrendous.

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
36 seconds left, EKU recovers a punt at their 10. 90 yards is a long way.

-----------------

Gamecast corrects it to a touchback.

kirkblitz
September 3rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
your coach hate timeouts?

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
20 yard EKU pass to the 40. 15 seconds.

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
Another 20 yard pass to the IU 40. 8 secs.

ASU_MBA
September 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
You lose in the 4th with one timeout remaining....dumb coaching...

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
Incomplete pass. 1 second.

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Oh well. Nice effort by the Colonels. Hope we can match it Saturday against a much tougher opponent.

sikolec
September 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
so much suspense...

Maroons
September 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
You lose in the 4th with one timeout remaining....dumb coaching...

I agree, the clock management was poor down the stretch. However, this team appears to be light years ahead of where it was this time last year. The second year coaching staff may really be hitting its stride.

Plus, it was nice seeing our previous head coach, Danny Hope, on all the commercials for Purdue! It gave me a warm feeling.

ASU_MBA
September 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
I agree, the clock management was poor down the stretch. However, this team appears to be light years ahead of where it was this time last year. The second year coaching staff may really be hitting its stride.

Plus, it was nice seeing our previous head coach, Danny Hope, on all the commercials for Purdue! It gave me a warm feeling.

You D line looked like studs at times...I think you guys are going to have a strong year....just figure out the QB situation and don't have 2 timeouts left with 8 seconds left...You played well enough to win keep your heads up.

Maroons
September 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
You D line looked like studs at times...I think you guys are going to have a strong year....just figure out the QB situation and don't have 2 timeouts left with 8 seconds left...You played well enough to win keep your heads up.

Oh, I am very encouraged. This team looks so much better than the team that lost to UC, WKU and Tenn. State while barely beating Morehead to open the year in 2008. I am very excited to see how the season unfolds.

ekufbfan
September 3rd, 2009, 10:43 PM
Oh Man, we had our chances! That fumble in the 4th guarter on the 3 yard line was a killer!

Loud crowd at Gilliam's tonight suffered thru a few homer calls. Liked the way EKU never quit. Was worried about a young Colonel defense, but they may be alright. First game against an FBS team for two inexperienced QB's and they met my expectations!
So who gets votes in the OVC.... UT Martin with a win over Quincy or Newberry or Little Sisters of the poor or whoever it was they played???? xwhistlexOr EKU who stepped up to the game against a Big 10 opponent?!

kirkblitz
September 3rd, 2009, 10:47 PM
yeah that fumble hurt, but i dont know why your coach wouldnt call a TO instead he let the clock run down to 36 seconds at the end there

Weems
September 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Although it was a loss, i think you can take a lot of positives away from this game. Hopefully it will be a good game in Richmond this year.

ekufbfan
September 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
that fumble hurtbut i d, ont know why your coach wouldnt call a TO instead he let the clock run down to 36 seconds at the end there

Not sure about that. Was very loud in the bar and could not hear anything the announcers were saying, perhaps a mistake that he is questioning himself over right now.

ekufbfan
September 3rd, 2009, 10:56 PM
Although it was a loss, i think you can take a lot of positives away from this game. Hopefully it will be a good game in Richmond this year. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A repeat of all or any of the previous meetings between EKU and UTM will suit me just fine!

SU 82
September 3rd, 2009, 10:58 PM
It was a good effort, EKU. Too bad it fell just a bit short.

kirkblitz
September 3rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
Not sure about that. Was very loud in the bar and could not hear anything the announcers were saying, perhaps a mistake that he is questioning himself over right now.

they were baffled as well. they questioned his FB knowledge because 1st downs and sidelines can be used etc.

ekufbfan
September 3rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
Bottom Line...... LOST OPPORTUNITY!!!:( For a team that may be better than we thought! GO EKU!

Purple Knight
September 4th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I'm impressed.

ekufbfan
September 4th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I am curious to see how this game affects our ranking (or non-ranking). Although traditionally a bottom Big 10 team, it's still FBS and the BIG 10 and not DII or NAIA! Does a DII/NAIA blowout count more than making a statement in a game with an FBS team. While I never think losing to anyone is okay and am never happy when we lose, those of you who watched know we had chances to win this game. Rankings are so important for playoff seeds and homegames. Once you drop, its virtually impossible to move very far back up. EKU also has a late season game at UK, who have been a pretty good SEC team the last couple of years.

FCS_Fan
September 4th, 2009, 06:14 AM
We should have won....

Bam
September 4th, 2009, 07:24 AM
So close. I say start Pryor & leave Watts at WR.

Killtoppers90
September 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM
It was only your first game, EKU! you will come back, fix the miscues and be better next time! Way to hang in with the Hoosiers!

Weems
September 4th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I am curious to see how this game affects our ranking (or non-ranking). Although traditionally a bottom Big 10 team, it's still FBS and the BIG 10 and not DII or NAIA! Does a DII/NAIA blowout count more than making a statement in a game with an FBS team. While I never think losing to anyone is okay and am never happy when we lose, those of you who watched know we had chances to win this game. Rankings are so important for playoff seeds and homegames. Once you drop, its virtually impossible to move very far back up. EKU also has a late season game at UK, who have been a pretty good SEC team the last couple of years.

IN my eyes yes, your loss is more impressive than UTM's blowout win. The only bad thing is that you have a notch on the right side of the column now :/

EKUSteve
September 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
My understanding from our board is that the HC admitted he messed up the time management at the end. Lesson learned for him as a second year HC.

Proud of the effort the team put in. I thought the D played well after the first 7:30 of the game. Held them to 140 yards the second half and 0 points.

Two weeks to get ready for OVC play.

Strange schedule as there is a chance we'll know if we are playoff bound by the end of October as all the conference games but Jax State will be played by then.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I watched the game on TV, and I felt that the officiating was some of the worst I've ever seen.

The "fumble" that was supposedly a saftey - when the ball was dribbled outside the goal line? And the "fumble" at the 3 given to Indiana when EKU's lineman was CLEARLY still in a tug-of-war for the ball - and only was called a "fumble" because the officials didn't call the play dead after the QB has recovered his own drop? It's the first time a "tie" went to the home team - I couldn't believe my eyes.

Those were huge calls that made the difference in the game. And I'm not even mentioning the frequent "spot the ball half a yard forward to give the Hoosiers a first down"-type calls either, or the Indiana catches out of bounds that were called - generously - "receptions". This was homer calling at it's "finest".

I don't think EKU has anything to be ashamed of. Had either been of the big two calls been called correctly, EKU would have probably pulled off the upset.

ASU_MBA
September 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM
yes the big 10 officials gave EKU no favors....

Bam
September 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Moral victories won't raise them in the polls.

purduecrum
September 4th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Hope was our former coach before he was your former coach and now our current coach!

ekufbfan
September 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Few EKU thoughts before tomorrow's games take precedence

1. Although a WIN against IU would have been sweet (a loss is a loss and never good), I feel better about our fb team than I did a week ago. Liked the way Watts looked and I think Pryor may be our ace in the hole!!!!
2. Hallaujah for the traditional uniforms, loved the way they looked. Could lose the E on the helmet and go back to EKU.
3. The uniforms along with the never say die attitude reminded me of the EKU of old
4. I wasn't going to say it, but since it was mentioned, some of those calls sure helped IU sustain momentum especially in the first half. We were talking in the first quarter that, unfortuately it is usually expected xeyebrowx(although not warranted) when you play FBS teams in the big name conferences for a pay check
5. This is Dean Hood's team (I for one don't miss Hope in the least)
6. Looking forward to the first homegame: Tailgate, new turf and an exciting team.
GO EKU!!!! Bring back the good times!

EKU05
September 4th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hope was our former coach before he was your former coach and now our current coach!

Yes, but he's our alum and former National Champion player, and he will never be your alum or former player. Also, since it seems to be ok to claim him via the FBS team you root for he was Louisville's former coach before either EKU or Purdue ;)

galen
September 5th, 2009, 01:37 AM
My alma mater IU will probably go 0 for the Big 10 this year- again- but at least we won't be losing to any non-FBS schools this year. :)

ekufbfan
September 5th, 2009, 06:40 AM
My alma mater IU will probably go 0 for the Big 10 this year- again- but at least we won't be losing to any non-FBS schools this year. :)

I am not sure what all you are implying, but if you saw the game, "at least" you should know your alma mater was LUCKY to escape with a win over EKU and FCS!!