PDA

View Full Version : If Presby gives Furple a game...

drpnut
September 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
If the Calvinists give the Furples a game will the naysayers and Lamb haters start the chorus?

Or will their be grace, (I didn't know baptists knew what grace is) for a while?

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
If the Calvinists give the Furples a game will the naysayers and Lamb haters start the chorus?

Or will their be grace, (I didn't know baptists knew what grace is) for a while?

It may stay close early, but Furman should win by a couple of tds.

The only people who really talk as though Bobby Lamb is on the hot seat right now are non-Furman fans. I guess if a coach were really on the hot seat, it would be the other way 'round. Granted, we may revisit this discussion at season's end. Furman's president is retiring (which makes some news as we've only had 10 since 1826) and who knows what kind of agenda a new administration will bring.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2009, 03:00 PM

I don't think I will worry about it now. :p

Be kinda like Taylors whooping Greenville in a city beautification projectxsmiley_wix

drpnut
September 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
paladinFan

I respect what you say... but I know quite a few boosters who tend to want to start the "fire Bobby" chorus every chance...

For one... I have no dog in the hunt... I happen to like the guy... our sons played
9th grade ball together last year.

But I do think if the game is close, some of these maniacs will begin the chorus...

OL FU
September 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
You know one of the worst losses I can remeber in FU history occurred in 1985 when Newberry beat us in Paladin Stadium for the first or second game of the year. Then we went on to barely lose to GSU in the NC game. So you just never know.

drpnut
September 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
OLFU

REad the las tpost to fan... you know what I'm talking about, you live in greenville.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
OLFU

REad the las tpost to fan... you know what I'm talking about, you live in greenville.

I think the answer is yes there will be some vocal fans that will be very upset. There are already people who think Lamb should go which I think is ridiculous. Never had a losing season, graduation rates typically top ten in the country and usually first in the SoCon, GPR that is usually first in the Socon or just behind Wofford this year I think. Players that generally don't get in trouble ( we all have a few). four year in the playoffs. two top five finishes, Furman lifer.

You just don't fire a coach like that easily. We aren't Georgia Southernxsmiley_wix

Now as I said I'll wait until after the game to even think about it. I personally think it will be a close first half. I don't expect it to be close at the end of the game. PC has had a lot of turmoil, a lot of changes and are coming off a pretty bad season last year. I just don't think with all that going on they are going to come into Paladin stadium and win for their first time ever in that location.

Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
I think the answer is yes there will be some vocal fans that will be very upset. There are already people who think Lamb should go which I think is ridiculous. Never had a losing season, graduation rates typically top ten in the country and usually first in the SoCon, GPR that is usually first in the Socon or just behind Wofford this year I think. Players that generally don't get in trouble ( we all have a few). four year in the playoffs. two top five finishes, Furman lifer.

You just don't fire a coach like that easily. We aren't Georgia Southernxsmiley_wix

Now as I said I'll wait until after the game to even think about it. I personally think it will be a close first half. I don't expect it to be close at the end of the game. PC has had a lot of turmoil, a lot of changes and are coming off a pretty bad season last year. I just don't think with all that going on they are going to come into Paladin stadium and win for their first time ever in that location.

Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I agree.

Bobby Lamb has given his heart and soul to his university. Furman has never had a losing season under his watch (can any SoCon coach say that?). He has recruited as well as any other coach in the conference. Further, Furman's graduation rate is off the chart. Also, Furman has lost only, I think, four home games since the start of the 2005 season.

Look, it took Furman 10 years to fire Larry Davis as the basketball coach after years of mediocrity. While yes, there are probably a number of fans who would start the war chant if things didn't go well, but by no means are the mobs at the gate.

The season is a long one. The last two seasons were dissapointing as in 2007 we couldn't play defense and had a bad start to the season. In 2008 we couldn't score and had a bad finish. I'm hoping that in 2009 we play strong throughout and score and keep others from scoring.

MarchingMountaineer
September 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
I agree.

Bobby Lamb has given his heart and soul to his university. Furman has never had a losing season under his watch (can any SoCon coach say that?). He has recruited as well as any other coach in the conference. Further, Furman's graduation rate is off the chart. Also, Furman has lost only, I think, four home games since the start of the 2005 season.

Well... yeah. Chris Hatcher hasn't had a losing season with GSU.
xcoffeex

SCPALADIN
September 2nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
I don't think one game is going to make people who haven't been grumbling over Lamb to suddenly do a 180 and call for his firing. I'd like to think that the average Furman fan is intelligent enough to realize that sometimes a team can 'collectively' have a bad game. However, if we have another lackluster season and finish out the last four (albeit extremely difficult) games the same way as last year I'd imagine more Furman faithful would entertain the idea of a coaching change.

As far as the PC game is concerned...I usually do NOT make predictions of any kind but I honestly think we (FU) will take this one rather easily. I wouldn't be surprised if we won by 4+ TDs.

dungeonjoe
September 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
I don't think I will worry about it now. :p

Be kinda like Taylors whooping Greenville in a city beautification projectxsmiley_wix

Notice how drpnut let that last line slide by and not say anything? :)

Just don't put Gaffney in that mix boys.

FWIW, Lamb is as safe as Ayers is at Wofford.

phoenix3
September 2nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
If PC gives Furman a game, chicken little, then the sky is truly falling and if the skewer Lamb crowd dosen't strike up the chorus it will be a surprise.

Furman by 28.

GATA
September 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
I heard that PC was really good...

Dinman31
September 3rd, 2009, 12:07 AM
There are surely a few alums who are unhappy with Lamb... you can't please everyone! However, Lamb's image among a lot of fans on the forums seems to be painted by the 2-point play at ASU in 2002 and his struggles with the Mountaineers (1-7 with five losses by a TD or less).

Fact is Lamb has a 56-29 record and .659 winning percentage. That ranks 12th among FCS coaches ahead of Jerry Moore, Mickey Matthews and Mike Ayers. He ranks as one of the winningest coaches ever at Furman, is second to Jerry Moore among active SoCon coaches against league schools (35-17, .673) and has the best home field winning percentage (35-7, .833) of any coach in school history. He has also had a 27-4 record at home over the last five years with one loss apiece to James Madison, Appalachian, Wofford and Georgia Southern.

Suddenly back-to-back years of 6-5 and 7-5 seem to have some folks ready to put him on the hot seat. If a downward trend does emerge of the next 1-2 seasons then maybe that should be the case, but as of right now he is among the most successful coaches in FCS.

LarryBoy
September 3rd, 2009, 01:00 AM
Bobby is also probably the best recruiter we've ever had. And unless he was able to use his mind-powers to injure our best wideouts last year, I'm not sure how much you can blame him for last year's downfall.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
Bobby is also probably the best recruiter we've ever had. And unless he was able to use his mind-powers to injure our best wideouts last year, I'm not sure how much you can blame him for last year's downfall.

I think people forget just how huge a loss RJ Webb was last year. Furman likely would have been a playoff team with him in the lineup.

drpnut
September 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
dungeon joe

I absolutely disagree... Coach Lamb is not as secure as Coach Ayers... Not one time over the last 7 years have we heard anyone say "get rid of Ayers"... The fair weather Furples, make noise every year!

Again, I reitirate... my son and Coach Lamb's son play ball together, and I like and appreciate Bobby and his family... but where I live and go about my "business" I hear at least once a week that "If we have another off year and miss the playoffs Coach Lamb has got to go..." And some of these folks carry at least a medium size stick.

Do I think that should happen.. No! All I"m saying is, that if it is perceived that Furple stumbles out of the gate then I've got to listen to the bulls** pretty early this year.

PEace

OL FU
September 3rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
dungeon joe

I absolutely disagree... Coach Lamb is not as secure as Coach Ayers... Not one time over the last 7 years have we heard anyone say "get rid of Ayers"... The fair weather Furples, make noise every year!

Again, I reitirate... my son and Coach Lamb's son play ball together, and I like and appreciate Bobby and his family... but where I live and go about my "business" I hear at least once a week that "If we have another off year and miss the playoffs Coach Lamb has got to go..." And some of these folks carry at least a medium size stick.

Do I think that should happen.. No! All I"m saying is, that if it is perceived that Furple stumbles out of the gate then I've got to listen to the bulls** pretty early this year.

PEace

I know a few medium size stick carriers that think as you describedxnodx

I have heard a few non Furman people talk about Furman's reputation and pocketbook being able to buy a top notch coach if the opportunity arises. Those people and I think some of the medium size stick carriers don't understand that FU is simply not going to throw that type of money at football especially not in this economy and really not even in a good one. Our academic folks would crap themselves if we decided to pay a coach $300,000.

drpnut
September 3rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Ol FU

I agree... I guess I'm just moning about having to listen to the crap... Us Wofford boys aren't used to having to listen to this junk on a weekly basis..

OL FU
September 3rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Ol FU

I agree... I guess I'm just moning about having to listen to the crap... Us Wofford boys aren't used to having to listen to this junk on a weekly basis..

Beating you guys would take some pressure off Bobby. We ain't used to losing to our little neighbors:o

drpnut
September 3rd, 2009, 08:35 AM
I think we are about to get a streak going against you guys like we have going against ELCid... This year will be 3 in a row... I'm hoping we will go 10-0

gobluehose1
September 3rd, 2009, 08:46 AM

trying to stir the pot a little? Where did you "hear" that?

OL FU
September 3rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
I think we are about to get a streak going against you guys like we have going against ELCid... This year will be 3 in a row... I'm hoping we will go 10-0

We aren't the Citadel. xsmhx and two is a long way from 10

Hoseinexile07
September 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM

Is he trying to be a jerk or is he serious? xconfusedx

SideLine Shooter
September 3rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
I don't think Presby is really that bad, it's just that they don't play the level of football that the Purple Paladins play. I would like to see Presby give them a game though.xnodx

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
Ol FU

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you know a handful of Furman fans who may or may not have a problem with Lamb. That's fine, but I certainly don't think it makes Furman fans fair-weathered, or on Lamb's job security every year.

From my seat most Furman fans are pretty content with Lamb. There are a vocal minority who feel that the last two seasons were the result of terrible coaching. They are entitled to that opinion. If you go over to the uffp you will, similarly, see a small group of people that want Lamb gone, but the large majority are pretty happy with him.

SCPALADIN
September 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Just like the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team for some...so is the "mystery replacement coach". It is a vocal minority. We would need 2 more mediocre seasons before the university would seriosly consider replacing Lamb.
I don't think anyone has questioned Lamb's ability to recruit. He is easily one of the best in I-AA. Where arguments begin to arise is the decision making department. That being said, I have high expectations for '09 and '10 given the current talent on our roster.

Apps03
September 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=Dinman31;1394454]However, Lamb's image among a lot of fans on the forums seems to be painted by the 2-point play at ASU in 2002 and his struggles with the Mountaineers (1-7 with five losses by a TD or less).

He has also had a 27-4 record at home over the last five years with one loss apiece to James Madison, Appalachian, Wofford and Georgia Southern.

How are these two statements even possible? If he is 1-7 vs. the Mountaineers, how could he only have one home loss vs. the Mountaineers in the last 5 years. I either read it incorrectly or just don't understand.

IMO, its a lot like "some" of the App folks and coach Moore after the '04 season. Jerry's always been a good coach but the downward trend those last couple of years was hard to ignore. Either way, I don't think it matters, because the Paladins will be in the mix for conference and national titles this year.

OL FU
September 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=Dinman31;1394454]However, Lamb's image among a lot of fans on the forums seems to be painted by the 2-point play at ASU in 2002 and his struggles with the Mountaineers (1-7 with five losses by a TD or less).

He has also had a 27-4 record at home over the last five years with one loss apiece to James Madison, Appalachian, Wofford and Georgia Southern.

How are these two statements even possible? If he is 1-7 vs. the Mountaineers, how could he only have one home loss vs. the Mountaineers in the last 5 years. I either read it incorrectly or just don't understand.

IMO, its a lot like "some" of the App folks and coach Moore after the '04 season. Jerry's always been a good coach but the downward trend those last couple of years was hard to ignore. Either way, I don't think it matters, because the Paladins will be in the mix for conference and national titles this year.

We have lost twice to the Mountaineers at home. 2003 and 2007. Small mistake.

Skjellyfetti
September 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
What's the word on Forcier? Heard he was injured and probably won't play against Presby?

OL FU
September 3rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
What's the word on Forcier? Heard he was injured and probably won't play against Presby?

That is all I have heard also. A cut on his leg from a bike accident. I don't think anything has been announced but the word is he hasn't practiced all week.

Dinman31
September 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Furman has lost just once to ASU at home ('07) in the last five years while going 27-4. The only other home game with the Mountaineers was a Furman victory in '05.

ericsaid
September 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
How is Forcier coming along?

OL FU
September 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM

Please see above.

The little I heard is he is as fast and athletic as advertised. I think he threw some good passes during training but was hampered by an elbow injury. Don't think we are really going to know until he sees playing time.

Article from the Gville news below

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20090902/SPORTS/909020335/1027/SPORTS0103/Sorrells--Forcier-give-Furman-options-at-QB

Sounds like when both are healthy we will see both with Sorrells leading the charge.

Also, Worley seems to have made some strides this year.

Freshman QBs Derrick and Hollingsworth waiting in the wings. I assume that Hollingsworth can be red shirted. Don't know if he will be but with 5 QBs in the line up it wouldn't surprise me.

carney2
September 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
I am predicting a very close game right up to - and possibly even through - the coin toss.

OL FU
September 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
I am not sure where Gohens.net gets its spread but he shows FU as a 27.5 point favorite. I picked PC to beat the spread but lose the game. xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM

Not something serious. Apparently fell off his bicycle.

PaladinNation
September 3rd, 2009, 03:55 PM

Watching Forcier in practice and in the scrimmages he's got a quick release with a big arm… he also appears to be pretty accurate. But his biggest upside for Furman's offense is his wheels… he is not just a speed guy, he's very shifty.

With all that said… you can see why he wasn't Norm Chow's kind of QB.

www.paladinnation.com

OL FU
September 3rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Watching Forcier in practice and in the scrimmages he's got a quick release with a big arm… he also appears to be pretty accurate. But his biggest upside for Furman's offense is his wheels… he is not just a speed guy, he's very shifty.

www.paladinnation.com

Nice Website xthumbsupx

Great name tooxnodx

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM

www.paladinnation.com

That's the word I've gotten. Guy may not be as polished a passer as Sorrells, but you just can't ignore how fast he is.

I think we will see a much better Sorrells with a rejuvinated wide receiver corps. He's got 5 legitimate playmakers at wideout.