PDA

View Full Version : CSN Inside the OVC: Time to lace up the cleats and buckle the chin straps

CSN-info
September 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/INSIDETHEOVC.JPG

CSN Inside the OVC: Time to lace up the cleats and buckle the chin straps
By James D. Horne, CSN Inside the OVC Columnist

The OVC begins its 62nd year of football with five members getting things started with games Thursday and the final three kicking off the season Saturday.

Thursday’s games see Iowa Wesleyan (1-0) at UT Martin (0-0), Quincy (1-0) at Southeast Missouri (0-0), No. 24 Eastern Kentucky (0-0) at Indiana (0-0), Illinois State (0-0) at Eastern Illinois (0-0) and Kentucky Wesleyan at Murray State (0-0).

Saturday’s games are No. 19 (FCS) Jacksonville State (0-0) at No. 15 (FBS) Georgia Tech (0-0), Alabama A&M (0-0) at Tennessee State (0-0) in the John Merritt Classic and Newberry (1-0) visiting Austin Peay (0-0).

Only Tennessee Tech will miss out on the festivities this week. The Golden Eagles play their first game at home next Thursday.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/09/01/csn-inside-the-ovc-time-to-lace-up-the-c?blog=5)

ekufbfan
September 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Always makes me wonder about starting out the season with an FBS school. I know Indiana of the Big Ten isn't Ohio State, but certainly neither are KY Wesleyan or Iowa Wesleyan ! xeyebrowx Every now and then the FCS team beats the FBS team but that doesn't happen often (thank you App State). So here is the question.....You play up and most likely get beat and drop in the polls or you play a cup cake and move up. The problem I see is that once you drop in the beginning of the season it's a longgggggg way back. So who do you begin the season with? The Big Ten's of the World or the cup cakes? What do you think?xconfusedx

Big Al
September 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
I think UT - Martin playing Iowa Wesleyan is a complete and utter crock.

ekufbfan
September 1st, 2009, 09:38 PM
I think UT - Martin playing Iowa Wesleyan is a complete and utter crock.

So, what do you think happens if EKU loses to IU and UTM beats Iowa Wes?
This is what I think will happen: EKU drops and UTM rises.... and there is the problem with rankings (and thus, eventually rank and playoff seeding).

Are you kidding me! Quincy? Newberry? Games with these two are are bound to put the OVC on the map....geezzzz

GO EKU!

Cocky
September 1st, 2009, 10:08 PM
I believe we have a better chance this year at GT. Our D is better and they have lost their NFL DL.

Bam
September 2nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Those money games against FBS schools are hard to pass up in this bad economy.

TTUEagles
September 2nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
Those money games against FBS schools are hard to pass up in this bad economy.

I agree...TTU has said that they won't play two FBS schools again like they are this year (K-State and UGA), but "had to" due to budget shortfalls. They open with Pikeville...I'd almost rather them start against an FBS school and have a challenge to work all camp for, then get a false sense of confidence with a 'cupcake.' Also, it's hard to put people in the seats when they have no idea who a Pikeville, Quincy, etc., are...at places like TTU, it's even hard for people to get up for SEMO, etc...I wish the OVC would start playing more schools out of the Socon, SLC, Gateway, etc...
I think we all know that the OVC will get the autobid only and doubt that rankings will have much to do with it - this season.

Bam
September 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
So true, but a cupcake win could help confidence. EKU has a contract with one SoCon school in WCU & it start this yr.

JSU02
September 2nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
I agree...TTU has said that they won't play two FBS schools again like they are this year (K-State and UGA), but "had to" due to budget shortfalls. They open with Pikeville...I'd almost rather them start against an FBS school and have a challenge to work all camp for, then get a false sense of confidence with a 'cupcake.' Also, it's hard to put people in the seats when they have no idea who a Pikeville, Quincy, etc., are...at places like TTU, it's even hard for people to get up for SEMO, etc...I wish the OVC would start playing more schools out of the Socon, SLC, Gateway, etc...
I think we all know that the OVC will get the autobid only and doubt that rankings will have much to do with it - this season.

Open with Pikeville? Do you mean Bledsoe County High School? xsmiley_wix

TTUEagles
September 2nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Might as well be as far as I'm concerned. xlolx I'll take a win (don't mean to offend Pikeville College) anyway I can get it as a TTU fan right now.

Bam
September 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Watch out a NAIA school already has a win over a FCS school this yr.

TTUEagles
September 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
It doesn't matter if I overlook the opponent. I'm not playing. But, I sure hope the team prepares well...just like K-State fans want them to not overlook Tech. But, Pikeville didn't have a good record and we've done okay recently vs NAIA's...Tech's not great, but they'll be a surprise to a lot of teams, I think, in the OVC. I think EKU is the team to beat, with Jax St and UTM a close second. TTU will have to be ready to face EKU for the Colonels first home game, new field, etc. Looking forward to a much improved TTU and OVC this year !

TTUEagles
September 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
Due to laziness...I haven't looked up the NAIA over FCS. Who was it????

Big Al
September 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
Quincy over Indiana State 26-20 in OT.

Buzzcut
September 3rd, 2009, 07:41 AM
Quincy over Indiana State 26-20 in OT.

Oh man! Just when you think it can't get any worse for the Sycamores! Imagine if they had actually played a GOOD NAIA team like Sioux Falls. Could have been a blowout for them.

TTUEagles
September 3rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
I wonder what SEMO (Quicy's next opponent) feels about that. I'm interested to see if SEMO has improved any this year. They are always seemingly good for one upset of an OVC team a year, but have really struggled recently.
I feel for Indiana St. - not a good loss...and they, go to Louisville this week - ouch.