PDA

View Full Version : Yet another "IAA" slam by ESPN

bigappfan10
September 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM
In Gregg Easterbrook's Tuesday Morning Quarterback today, he says...

"Auburn fearlessly faces, at home, Division I-AA Furman, which last year lost to Elon. Forget conferences; do you even know what state Elon is in?"

and

"Michigan's Big House will bravely host Delaware State, a Division I-AA college that also lines up against Hampton and Bethune-Cookman. Two years ago, the Wolverines lost at home to Appalachian State."

IMO, the gap closes each year and the unnecessary abuse against smaller schools is just sooooo old.xconfusedx

GeauxColonels
September 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Maybe, but his remarks echo the sentiments of the typical FBS fan. I work with a few and if the team isn't in a BCS conference, they're not worth the time.

CollegeSportsInfo
September 1st, 2009, 05:12 PM
The NCAA is such a joke. The name change from I-AA to FCS might not be the absolute worst thing they did...but it's up there.

I never look at the use of 1AA as a slam when used in the media. It's not their job to educate the people about the terminology. It's the NCAAs. The NCAA should have done a branding campaign to get it out there to the public. They didn't. Instead they listened to the crybabys who said "we're the same, we're the same, we don't want to have 1 more A in our name despite sponsoring less scholarships'.

griz8791
September 1st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Maybe, but his remarks echo the sentiments of the typical FBS fan. I work with a few and if the team isn't in a BCS conference, they're not worth the time.

I have grown to loathe the typical FBS fan. Bunch of know-nothing, front-running, bandwagon goons.

PhoenixSupreme
September 1st, 2009, 05:27 PM

I can definitely see where you're coming from with that statement. I actually thought it was kind of funny, simply cuz I went to Elon, and I'm thinking to myself "yeah, I could make an educated guess on where Elon is".

Easterbrook's done this type of thing before with smaller schools. He was comparing Harvard's endowment to a college in my hometown (Averett University) arguing that people donate millions to Harvard's endowment that doesn't end up ever being used, and could be better served being donated to much smaller colleges. And he has an "Obscure College Score of the Week" in each weekly article featuring D-II, D-III, and NAIA schools.

But I got off topic a bit. All in all, at least he is giving the lesser-known schools more exposure...albeit in what seems to be a sort of demeaning or belittling tone (at least to us FCS fans)

aust42
September 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
I was at at Happy Hour a couple weeks ago and overheard these dudes talking about Flacco coming from a crappy Division II school. I wouldn't have butted in but they were going on and on about it. Why would he leave PITT for a school like Delaware, and all this crap. Being a Delaware alumni and former player I had to pipe in and explain Delaware is a very good 1AA school and is not a crappy D-II school and why Flacco transferred. They had no idea college football is broken down into four divisional categories unlike any other sport. Explaining the FCS/FBS thing is just too confusing to people. I go thru this type of conversation several times every football season with people explaining what 1AA is.

UNI Pike
September 1st, 2009, 06:18 PM
At least he spelled / pronounced the names correctly. God help ESPN if Northern Iowa ever plays Northern Illinois.

PhoenixMan
September 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM

"Auburn fearlessly faces, at home, Division I-AA Furman, which last year lost to Elon. Forget conferences; do you even know what state Elon is in?"

and

"Michigan's Big House will bravely host Delaware State, a Division I-AA college that also lines up against Hampton and Bethune-Cookman. Two years ago, the Wolverines lost at home to Appalachian State."

IMO, the gap closes each year and the unnecessary abuse against smaller schools is just sooooo old.xconfusedx

At least they're talking about Elon on ESPN......it would be nice if Elon could upset Wake Forest (and I think it COULD happen) and then a lot of people would know what state Elon is located in.l

catbob
September 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
I don't even follow FBS football. It's pretty hard not to know who the good teams are considering how much they blast the info across ESPN and other sports outlets, but give me a GSU / App State or a Richmond / Nova matchup anyday of the week. Too bad it is pretty hard to watch these great matchups. :(

I have no favorite FBS team, I find myself just not caring anymore. All about the FCS over here!

Cobblestone
September 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM
I was at at Happy Hour a couple weeks ago and overheard these dudes talking about Flacco coming from a crappy Division II school. I wouldn't have butted in but they were going on and on about it. Why would he leave PITT for a school like Delaware, and all this crap. Being a Delaware alumni and former player I had to pipe in and explain Delaware is a very good 1AA school and is not a crappy D-II school and why Flacco transferred. They had no idea college football is broken down into four divisional categories unlike any other sport. Explaining the FCS/FBS thing is just too confusing to people. I go thru this type of conversation several times every football season with people explaining what 1AA is.

They sound like a bunch of pussies. Obviously they know nothing about college football. My second sentence justifies my first.

SCPALADIN
September 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM
Reminds me of the drive into Pittsburgh in 2004 listening to the PITT radio team talk about Furman as a small speedbump before their real schedule.

It was pathetic listening to them after the game when we took them to OT (and lost on a FG). Suddenly we were a I-AA powerhouse only 3 hours later.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM
I really don't mind FCS schools not getting coverage...but what did they do to deserve negative coverage.

My thought is the author was just pulling stuff out of the air. Sure, Furman lost to Elon. I'm sure he glanced over that 3-0 halftime lead the Hokies had against the Paladins in Blacksburg too.

griz8791
September 1st, 2009, 08:23 PM
I don't even follow FBS football. It's pretty hard not to know who the good teams are considering how much they blast the info across ESPN and other sports outlets, but give me a GSU / App State or a Richmond / Nova matchup anyday of the week. Too bad it is pretty hard to watch these great matchups. :(

I have no favorite FBS team, I find myself just not caring anymore. All about the FCS over here!

+1 xthumbsupx

slycat
September 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Sounds a lot like FCS fans here complain about playing DII schools.

LacesOut
September 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM
A) At least there is some I-AA coverage!! haha

2) Uhhh, I bet alot of people have no idea what state Elon is in. Heck, I'm a consistant I-AA follower and I had to google it! I did know that they were in App States and Georgia Southerns conference. (see what I did there, LOL)

slycat
September 1st, 2009, 08:40 PM
A) At least there is some I-AA coverage!! haha

2) Uhhh, I bet alot of people have no idea what state Elon is in. Heck, I'm a consistant I-AA follower and I had to google it! I did know that they were in App States and Georgia Southerns conference. (see what I did there, LOL)

Haha me too.

crabby terrier
September 1st, 2009, 08:47 PM
he also slammed charleston southern and wofford:

"Florida has seven games at home, four away, plus a neutral-site matchup. The defending national champion Gators fearlessly open at home against Charleston-Southern; last season, the Division I-AA Bucs lost to Liberty and Wofford, though they did post a win over Edward Waters, an NAIA school. Surely any team that beat Edward Waters offers a serious test for the defending national champion! (Wofford, by the way, is a fine college, but its sports nickname is the Terriers. What do they chant in the stands? Perhaps, "Here boy!" Perhaps, "Woofie, woofie!") "

link to full article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/090901&sportCat=nfl

what a douche!!!xmadx

UAalum72
September 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM
I've known where Elon is for a long time. "North Carolina college" is a regular clue for a four-letter word in the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle.

henfan
September 1st, 2009, 09:17 PM
I understand where FBS fans are coming from. I don't watch or follow FBS football and really couldn't care less about any of those programs. I'd probably sound stupid too trying to explain the the virtues of that level of play.

The media is another story. They get paid to articulate the differences between the various levels of D-I. They're fair game for criticism, IMO, especially when they're too lazy to even bother comprehending simple D-I nomenclature and then speak as experts on the topic.

DSUrocks07
September 1st, 2009, 09:32 PM
Sounds a lot like FCS fans here complain about playing DII schools.

this xnodx

supercat11
September 1st, 2009, 09:42 PM
This isn't from ESPN, but it was still extremely annoying.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/893907.html

The offending part is at the end of the column.

chrisattsu
September 1st, 2009, 09:45 PM

Really? because the talking head a couple of weeks ago said that Flacco went to Rutgers. (This was during the NY Jets game)

CrackerRiley
September 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM
I only know where Elon is from them being in the SoCon. I still couldn't tell ya where teams like the Grizzlies and the Fightin Hens are from.....

elonpuckhog
September 1st, 2009, 10:04 PM
I can definitely see where you're coming from with that statement. I actually thought it was kind of funny, simply cuz I went to Elon, and I'm thinking to myself "yeah, I could make an educated guess on where Elon is".

I laughed, a lot, at your comment. Of course, I'm a fellow Elon alum, and I still live pretty close. So, yes, I could make an educated guess as to what state Elon is located in...

Wildcat80
September 1st, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hey we are what we are....we play good football and we get our licks in against FBS teams....personally I find alot of knowledgable fans out there that know we play "good football". Forget espn. Just support the team you love in FCS. GO CATS!xnodx

bkrownd
September 1st, 2009, 11:00 PM
I only know where some "obscure" schools are because of their lacrosse or hockey programs. Others vaguely drift in and out of my sphere of awareness over time. I find these bits of college trivia and history fun, but most people naturally just don't care. I know who Cortland, La Moyne and Middlebury are, and even Mars Hill and Limestone. But at some point there are just too many obscure ones to keep track of. I mean, where the hell is Goucher? Liberty? Is Oakland in California, Michigan or Ohio...or am I thinking of Chapman? Do I care? Norfolk State? Austin Peay? If your school-of-choice hasn't established itself as a Big Name then you don't have any justification for feeling slighted if the Joe Sixpack says "who the hell are THEY?" Get over it.

phoenixphanatic21
September 1st, 2009, 11:09 PM
I've known where Elon is for a long time. "North Carolina college" is a regular clue for a four-letter word in the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle.

Bill Clinton cited that as one of the reasons why he loves Elon when he came to visit us last year.
Hell, I've got a bunch of friends I went to high school with in Charlotte, NC that don't even know where Elon is. xoopsx I'll sometimes ask people that when I visit my friends at the University of South Carolina and offer $20 to anyone (besides my friends) who can name it. I have yet to lose a dollar.
And I know the saying goes any press is good press, but honestly, I think I'd rather see the FCS get no press than negative things like this. God knows I too am tired of defending FCS football and why it is "legit football" even though we aren't I-A.

Appbio91
September 1st, 2009, 11:16 PM
They sound like a bunch of pussies. Obviously they know nothing about college football. My second sentence justifies my first.
Agree. What damn difference does it make where Flacco went to college. He was a starting QB in the NFL as a rookie. If your good enough the scouts will find you. Even in Boone ;)

gophoenix
September 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM
Bill Clinton cited that as one of the reasons why he loves Elon when he came to visit us last year.
Hell, I've got a bunch of friends I went to high school with in Charlotte, NC that don't even know where Elon is. xoopsx I'll sometimes ask people that when I visit my friends at the University of South Carolina and offer $20 to anyone (besides my friends) who can name it. I have yet to lose a dollar.
And I know the saying goes any press is good press, but honestly, I think I'd rather see the FCS get no press than negative things like this. God knows I too am tired of defending FCS football and why it is "legit football" even though we aren't I-A.

Which is funny, I have often traveled to DC, Philly, NY, well, all along the NE corridor and most everyone I have run into that ask where i went to college not only knew it but knew where it is.

OhioHen
September 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM

Extra props if you do the Times puzzle in ink! xcoffeex

(The only way I do ANY puzzle)

ur2k
September 2nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Why does this sort of talk from ESPN surprise anyone anymore. Just look at the rant Herbstreit went on right before App beat Michigan (cupcakes?). Who really cares?

Here's a more logical take on it from a local guy in Richmond in today's paper

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/local_other/article/WOOD02_20090901-214602/289830/

griz8791
September 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
I only know where Elon is from them being in the SoCon. I still couldn't tell ya where teams like the Grizzlies and the Fightin Hens are from.....

A couple of years ago my wife and I were snowed in with another couple without power and found ourselves playing a trivia game by candlelight. Somewhere about 10 minutes in there was a question about what school's mascot was the Fighting Blue Hens. I had some unfortunate personal experience with that. No one else in the room had a clue.

whoanellie
September 2nd, 2009, 07:48 AM
Greg Easterbrook. Greg Easterrook? Greg What the puck? Who is Greg Easterbrook?
Does he actually work for ESPN? Does he also cover middle european body building?
Somewhere under the radar.........

Frankly, If this maroon does not realize that it's strictly all about the money. Charleston Southern vs Florida? come on.

Saint3333
September 2nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Which is funny, I have often traveled to DC, Philly, NY, well, all along the NE corridor and most everyone I have run into that ask where i went to college not only knew it but knew where it is.

Which is funny because if you head south it's just the opposite.

One thing to add is most of America isn't very bright (from a geography standpoint). I'm constantly amazed at how many people don't know if Charlotte is in NC or SC.xoopsx

henfan
September 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
One thing to add is most of America isn't very bright (from a geography standpoint).

If you left off the parenthetical notation, your comment would still stand, sadly.xoopsx

Husky Alum
September 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
At least he spelled / pronounced the names correctly. God help ESPN if Northern Iowa ever plays Northern Illinois.

If Northeastern (the Huskies, school colors: Black and Red) ever played Northern Illinois (the Huskies, school colors: Black and Red), I think some people would spontaneously combust.

It's like when Northeastern played Northwestern in football. I think the media had no idea what to do.

I don't get frustrated by the I-AA/FCS thing. You're not going to educate those who don't want to be educated.

If people who don't know ask me I say "we play Division I football in a conference that competes in the Division I playoffs - the BCS and a few other conferences compete for Bowl spots, and aren't eligible for the playoffs."

89Hen
September 2nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
I have grown to loathe the typical FBS fan. Bunch of know-nothing, front-running, bandwagon goons.
I don't know about that. Why would an Auburn fan who knows little of Furman be different from a Furman fan who knows little of Grand Valley State?

89Hen
September 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
I was at at Happy Hour a couple weeks ago and overheard these dudes talking about Flacco coming from a crappy Division II school. I wouldn't have butted in but they were going on and on about it. Why would he leave PITT for a school like Delaware, and all this crap.
Should have just told them if he stayed at Pitt, he would have never been drafted by the Ravens so they should get down on their knees and thank God for I-AA and Delaware. :)

bisonwest
September 2nd, 2009, 08:30 AM

Exactly the way I feel. Though I see the non-BCS conference schools as somewhat half brothers. Love it when the teams like Utah and Boise State shut up the so called "experts"

kdinva
September 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
I remember about 8 or 9 seasons ago, when Furman beat the pants off of UNC (28-3?), a church friend of mine, who bled Carolina blue, didn't attend the day after that particular game, and he NEVER missed church.xsmhxxeekx

Zeus69
September 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
It is a definate possibility that Elon could beat Wake Forest. That Elon defense is darn good and their offense will be one of the best in FCS.

813Jag
September 2nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Trust me some FCS fans don't know or care where other FCS schools are located. How many people here really care where Mississippi Valley is located?

89Hen
September 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
How many people here really care where Mississippi Valley is located?
I've got a pretty good guess. xsmiley_wix

813Jag
September 2nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
I've got a pretty good guess. xsmiley_wix
I wouldn't count you as most people. xlolx

Flunkee
September 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
I still remember Sid Hartman (a Minnesota sports writer) on his weekly show after we barely lost to Minnesota on a missed feild goal stating that next year we would lose by 27. Next year we won. It was fun to listen to his sunday radio show that morning.

gophoenix
September 2nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Which is funny because if you head south it's just the opposite.

One thing to add is most of America isn't very bright (from a geography standpoint). I'm constantly amazed at how many people don't know if Charlotte is in NC or SC.xoopsx

I know, but I guess that is what recruiting areas do to you...

And absolutely right on the Geography part. I'd be willing to bet most people can't tell anyone where Syracuse, Bowling Green, Kent St, Ball St, Stanford, BYU, Air Force, Navy, Army, Rutgers, Rice, Vanderbilt, Tulane and places like that are either .... without having the state or city name doesn't lend itself to making it easy for the idiots. Or heck, maybe there is an East Carolina (after all there is a North and South). Heck I remember a guy calling a panthers game saying something to that affect when talking about Hoover.

But yeah, most people are idiots and act like it.

grizband
September 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Trust me some FCS fans don't know or care where other FCS schools are located. How many people here really care where Mississippi Valley is located?
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here, but.... Mississippi? xwhistlex

813Jag
September 2nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here, but.... Mississippi? xwhistlex

great guess. xlolx Now for the next part: Where in Mississippi is it located?

IaaScribe
September 2nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Itta Bena

89Hen
September 2nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
There's more than one town? xeyebrowx :p

PhoenixSupreme
September 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM

Do we get multiple choice here?xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

813Jag
September 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
There's more than one town? xeyebrowx :p
it's one big town surrounded by a bunch of little towns. xlolx

813Jag
September 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Do we get multiple choice here?xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx
the answer is on page 5. xlolx

danefan
September 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Lets be honest guys - how many diehard FCS fans (most people on here qualify) think now, or thought at one point, that Jacksonvill State was in Florida.

I'm not ashamed to say that I did. xcoffeex

Waco Kid
September 2nd, 2009, 12:43 PM

Sounds like a conversation I had with my CEO. He said hey you guys won the last three championship's right? I said no we won three in a row until Richmond won last year. He then says "Oh, Ok... and Mount Union won the year before you guys right?" I replied no Mount Union is in D3... he replies "thats right and you are D2." No sir we are division one as well but in I-AA. I knew the whole FBS/FCS thing was just too deep to get into at the time. He is a good guy and "big" sports fan but still had no idea. I mean we are 1:45 minutes from ASU and he still didn't know. I get so tired of explaining this stuff.

He is a North Carolina Grad BTW

gophoenix
September 2nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Sounds like a conversation I had with my CEO. He said hey you guys won the last three championship's right? I said no we won three in a row until Richmond won last year. He then says "Oh, Ok... and Mount Union won the year before you guys right?" I replied no Mount Union is in D3... he replies "thats right and you are D2." No sir we are division one as well but in I-AA. I knew the whole FBS/FCS thing was just too deep to get into at the time. He is a good guy and "big" sports fan but still had no idea. I mean we are 1:45 minutes from ASU and he still didn't know. I get so tired of explaining this stuff.

Yeah, sounds like any number of people I know. The Florida and Ohio State people seem to be the worst. Most of the other fans, at least in my company, know who all the SoCon teams are and what I-AA. I just don't even bother talking about FBS and FCS anymore.

griz8791
September 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Sorry, FBS fans, but these just aren't esoteric details. This information is readily available and can be easily mastered with a minimum of internet research and a few moments of reflection. I do not see how you can call yourself a college football fan without understanding the most basic information about how the whole thing is set up.

It is a FACT that Division I contains two (2) subdivisions. Therefore it isn't like garbagemen wanting to be called "hygiene engineers." Your lack of familiarity with the setup says more about your mental laziness than it does about the supposed irrelevance of FCS.

xreadxxrulesx

Bull Fan
September 2nd, 2009, 12:59 PM

Meaning he probably doesn't know jack ***** about college football, but could educate us about hoops.

Bottom line, my perception of I-A fans: They root for their alma mater, or for the school they live closest to. My experience as a NYer is that folks around here only care about college football in a gambling sense and still don't know much. Down south, college football's a different story. The biggest tools I've heard speak about I-AA are Trev Alberts and Mark May. I forgive Herbstreit, as I think he's a fantastic ambassador for the college game in general despite him probably looking down his nose at the I-AA level.

I-AA fans are truer, seem to love the game for what it is.

griz8791
September 2nd, 2009, 01:09 PM
http://www.sportspickle.com/article:160/127-of-128-division-i-a-football-teams-set-to-feast-on-cupcake-schedules

The only difference is these guys are trying to be funny.

ur2k
September 2nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Sorry, FBS fans, but these just aren't esoteric details. This information is readily available and can be easily mastered with a minimum of internet research and a few moments of reflection. I do not see how you can call yourself a college football fan without understanding the most basic information about how the whole thing is set up.

It is a FACT that Division I contains two (2) subdivisions. Therefore it isn't like garbagemen wanting to be called "hygiene engineers." Your lack of familiarity with the setup says more about your mental laziness than it does about the supposed irrelevance of FCS.

xreadxxrulesx

That's assuming that they care or want to understand that Division I football has 2 subdivisions.

I do like to point out to folks here in the Commonwealth of Virginia that there are only 2 schools in VA with a Division I National Championship. That's always fun.

Jaguar79
September 2nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
This is comical for me. Y'all sit here all year, trying to get the big boys and the news stations to notice you and then, when they don't do it YOUR way, you piss and moan about it.

Face it .... FCS, which I am a member of, gets players to the league, upsets some "major" teams every once in a while, and has good football. However, as I have mentioned a few times in respect to the playoffs, would you like to know WHO cares about you? A: The very people posting right here.

See, when I hear (example) McNeese fans who say they are also fans of LSU, I just shake my head. I have personally heard some of them state that they were going to Baton Rouge when the Cowboys have a game. Maybe this is a personal thing to me, but I'm in Baton Rouge. I don't give a damn about LSU, ULL, McNeese, La. Tech or anyone else around here except Southern University. My loyalty is not shared with Florida, LSU, or Texas.

Once you realize that as hard as you try, you are not going to be thought of (by them) as anything but fodder for that level until you beat them regularly (i.e App State surprising Michigan and then getting bounced back to life by LSU the next year and the media's response to it). You guys know ULL isn't worth a damn, but they are taking the same stance against SU that that guy was taking against Wofford and Elon.

In other words, GET OVER IT and be the best where you are until you can do better.

griz8791
September 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
I really don't care whether they "notice" our level of football. My problem with them is that they think they're sports fans but they're almost completely uninformed.

You are absolutely right about focusing on being "the best where you are."

Ronbo
September 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
I had never heard of Furman till 1994 when I started following Montana, and I followed College football for years as a USC (SoCal) fan. It's quite normal for most of the fans in the nation to be unfamiliar with FCS teams. Most people think Montana is DII. Live with it. It's life and not going to change.

UNCBears2010
September 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Most Kansas fans are picking the Jayhawks to shut out UNC. I don't think they realize we have a quarterback that two years ago was right behind Tim Tebow on Florida's depth chart and a running back that was quite coveted by their archrival Missouri.

elon77
September 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM

xbangx Delaware isn't D II ? Is Delaware and Delaware St. the same school?xlolx
I'm just kidding, but that's the stupid stuff alot of people think.

ASU
September 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
Who or what is this Elon that you people speak of?
Is that the thing on TV where you can get some money by computer with an E-loan?
That must be it.

I-AA Fan
September 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM

and

What is getting sooooo old is the constant complaining/bragging about it. This is life in the real world. Michigan (even if it was the worst team in school history that played ASU ...as Oregon demonstrated 7 days later) is in the Big-10, and historically the single best football school in the nation (and I say that living in Columbus, OH). Millions of fans relentlessly follow the Big-10 ...compared to maybe (I repeat maybe)10's of thousands that follow the SoCon. Auburn is one of 5 most historic football programs in IA/FBS, and outside of that, the only reason DSU was even mentioned was because it is a HBCU/BCCA program, and that is big with the current person in the white house. So just accept it, or place your application in the ACC or SEC & beat teams like UM on a regular basis; then they will be saying the same thing about your team. It is college football time in America ...be happy!!!!!

elon77
September 2nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Who or what is this Elon that you people speak of?
Is that the thing on TV where you can get some money by computer with an E-loan?
That must be it.

No, it's where the smart kids go to school. The one's that don't get in go to a moonshine school in a place called Daniel Boone and they learn how to make said juice.xlolxxlolxxlolx Oh just kidding, I love the place, not sure what that says about me?

bkrownd
September 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
That's assuming that they care or want to understand that Division I football has 2 subdivisions.

I do like to point out to folks here in the Commonwealth of Virginia that there are only 2 schools in VA with a Division I National Championship. That's always fun.

You're crowing about something most people consider worth little more than a snicker.

Technically the "two subdivisions" of "division 1 football" is an artifact of the difference between football and all other sports the NCAA manages. If football were the only sport they would be considered fully separate divisions.

aust42
September 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
xbangx Delaware isn't D II ? Is Delaware and Delaware St. the same school?xlolx
I'm just kidding, but that's the stupid stuff alot of people think.

Yep get that all the time. When Delaware State get's slaughtered by Michigan this year most folks will probably think it's the school Joe Flacco went to after transferring from PITT (as the NFL commentators and national media love to point out).

Somebody in my office yesterday asked me by the water cooler "what college football team do you follow." I said Delaware. "Are they Division II?" No their Division IAA. "oh, (obviously confused) what big time college program do you follow?" I repeated Delaware. :D

LacesOut
September 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
I like football.

With or without ESPN, I like football.

coover
September 2nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Moron of the month for September

Guess he thought he wouldn't be recognized because the height gauge at the quickie mart only goes to 6' 6"

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

coover
September 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM

Duh ... Portland?

coover
September 2nd, 2009, 07:46 PM
Just wondering, and speaking of ignorance, do any of you guys and gals know that FCS football is played in the Western part of the country, too? All I see here is Appy State, Elon, Delaware, and (sometimes) a school like McNeese State.

Anybody know the location of Cal Poly? Is it near Los Angeles? No, not really. San Francisco, no. Sacramento? Where is that? San Diego. Not at all! Well, if it isn't near any of them, where is it? That is the question of the day.

Ignorance? yeah, it's rampant.

Husky Alum
September 2nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Anybody know the location of Cal Poly?

Near the Madonna Inn.

GATA
September 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
I heard Cal Poly was really good.

SOCAL
September 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Near the Madonna Inn.

San Luis Obispo---near the coast about 185 miles north of LA

just a little south of the Hearst Estate

PhoenixSupreme
September 2nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
Anybody know the location of Cal Poly?

They are either in Califorania or Polynesia...just not surexconfusedxxrotatehx

onbison09
September 2nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Just wondering, and speaking of ignorance, do any of you guys and gals know that FCS football is played in the Western part of the country, too? All I see here is Appy State, Elon, Delaware, and (sometimes) a school like McNeese State.

Anybody know the location of Cal Poly? Is it near Los Angeles? No, not really. San Francisco, no. Sacramento? Where is that? San Diego. Not at all! Well, if it isn't near any of them, where is it? That is the question of the day.

That would be nice if the media knew that. xcoffeex

IaaScribe
September 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
Near the Madonna Inn.

I've been to the Madonna. SLO was one of my favorite trips out that way.

MSUfan2010
September 3rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
Somebody in my office yesterday asked me by the water cooler "what college football team do you follow." I said Delaware. "Are they Division II?" No their Division IAA. "oh, (obviously confused) what big time college program do you follow?" I repeated Delaware. :D

xlolxxlolxxlolx

coover
September 3rd, 2009, 02:14 AM
That would be nice if the media knew that. xcoffeex

It is nice that so many of folks on this forum know that Cal Poly is near the Madonna Inn (where I spend a couple days of my honeymoon many years ago). If you are ever there, take a tour of the restrooms.

The actual reason why there is so much ignorance on West Coast Sports is the 3 hour time difference between the east coast and the west. The newspapers and the radio and tv news people simply can not wait for the west coast games to end to report them ... so all you hear about is the games in the east. The Central time zone does get some reports in the East, but the Mountain and Pacific time zones, if they are reported at all, are reported a day late. And that is the reason for "East Coast Bias".

Houndawg
September 3rd, 2009, 07:43 AM
Just wondering, and speaking of ignorance, do any of you guys and gals know that FCS football is played in the Western part of the country, too?

xeekx No ****?

89Hen
September 3rd, 2009, 08:05 AM

xrolleyesx xcoolx I'd be willing to bet you can pinpoint within 100 miles where a bunch of schools in the east are. Knowing your geography has little to do with recognizing good football. CalPoly has been consistently spoken of highly here. We can't help it if you don't have as many fans posting here. xpeacex

coover
September 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
xrolleyesx xcoolx I'd be willing to bet you can pinpoint within 100 miles where a bunch of schools in the east are. Knowing your geography has little to do with recognizing good football. CalPoly has been consistently spoken of highly here. We can't help it if you don't have as many fans posting here. xpeacex

Ah, exactly. I never thought that many would know exactly where Elon, Appy State, or Cal Poly are located, yet some in this forum seemed unhappy about that.

I know that Appy plays great football, for example, and I've read here that it is in the community of Boone, but I really don't know where it is. I guess somewhere in the Appalachian Mountain area, which runs, evidently, through several states. And from what I've read, it is in a Southern State, so that takes Pennsylvania out of the running. But in my 68 years, I've never been to that part of the country, and don't even know anybody who lives there.

So my point was that folks should not be insulted if someone doesn't know where Elon is located at. The guy who was insulted probably doesn't know where Cal Poly is located (it's not Pomona, by the way).

CollegeSportsInfo
September 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
It is nice that so many of folks on this forum know that Cal Poly is near the Madonna Inn (where I spend a couple days of my honeymoon many years ago). If you are ever there, take a tour of the restrooms.

The actual reason why there is so much ignorance on West Coast Sports is the 3 hour time difference between the east coast and the west. The newspapers and the radio and tv news people simply can not wait for the west coast games to end to report them ... so all you hear about is the games in the east. The Central time zone does get some reports in the East, but the Mountain and Pacific time zones, if they are reported at all, are reported a day late. And that is the reason for "East Coast Bias".

I drive past it once a trip to/from LA/SF...I usually take PCH one way and 101 the other.

ElonFirefighter
September 3rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
I laughed, a lot, at your comment. Of course, I'm a fellow Elon alum, and I still live pretty close. So, yes, I could make an educated guess as to what state Elon is located in...

"WHERE IS ELON" I really need to know because I driving up for the home opener this weekend. I hope we do knock off Wake so we can get some good press for the league

PhoenixSupreme
September 3rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
"WHERE IS ELON" I really need to know because I driving up for the home opener this weekend. I hope we do knock off Wake so we can get some good press for the league

I would drive to the Elon's home opener this weekend, but I don't know which stadium it's gonna be in. I guess I'll just drive to Davidson and hope it's there.xlolx:D

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 3rd, 2009, 10:48 PM
Where's Auburn ???? Isn't that a small town in upstate NY just west of Syracuse ???