PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 8-31

JALMOND
September 1st, 2009, 01:57 AM
OK, here are the first round of the Big Sky Power Rankings. No real surprises. The conference as a whole has improved tremendously from last year. Anyway, the power rankings. All reflect my opinions and all are open for discussion. Here they are.

1. Montana Grizzlies---Even with having to replace the quarterback position this year, the Grizzlies are still the team to beat, helped by the fact that Weber State has to come to Missoula this year. A load of talent should keep the Grizzlies near the top. This week they welcome DII Western State to Missoula. An easy tuneup?

2. Weber State Wildcats---Maybe more talent returning that the Grizzlies, but having to go to Missoula does not help. Still, the Wildcats should stay near the top and ready to take over should the Grizzlies stumble. A daunting schedule will challenge the Wildcats but it is manageable. This week, a trip to FBS Wyoming, a game that the Wildcats could steal.

3. Eastern Washington Eagles---A ton of talent coming back, but the Eagles were hit with probation this year, which will keep them from the postseason if they qualify. How the returnees respond remains to be seen because on paper, this team is dangerous, capable of stealing a game here and there. This week, they welcome DII Western Oregon to Cheney. Should be a good start.

4. Montana State Bobcats---Like everyone else in the conference, a solid nucleus returning should bode well for the Bobcats. Likewise, a quarterback controversy was somewhat avoided. This is the year the Bobcat faithful hope to make some noise. Will it happen? This week, they head to Big 10 Michigan State. Maybe a bit too much, but maybe not.

5. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks---Maybe not as much coming back as some others, but count the Jacks out and you'll find them right in the middle of the race at the end of the year. The Jacks have always gotten the most out of what they have and this year will be no exception. They will take this weekend off for more practice.

6. Sacramento State Hornets---High ranking for the perennial doormat of the conference, but the Hornets had a good year last year and hope to improve on it. High hopes were dashed when Hilliard went down, but the Hornets still have the talent to make some noise within the conference. This week finds them heading to Las Vegas to face the Mountain West team UNLV, a team similar to the Colorado State team the Hornets gave fits to last year. Can they get the game this year?

7. Northern Colorado Bears---A lot of talent returning, a lot of potential here. Yet improvement is always expected, especially when you only win one game all year. Still, this is the third year for the Bears in the conference and this year should be the year for them to make strides. They were close in most games last year and look to get some of those games this year. Unfortunately, this week finds them at Big 12 Kansas. Survival first, then the year can begin.

8. Portland State Vikings---This spring, the Vikings were like eveyone else in the conference, good returning core and poised to make a run this year. Then Mouse Davis retired and his replacement left for Edmonton. The fall created more questions than necessary at this point of the year. Compounded to this is that the Vikings play Oregon State, Montana and Weber State all before September is over. This week its Oregon State. Are the Vikings ready?

9. Idaho State Bengals---The good news, the Bengals are improved over last year. The bad news, so is the conference as a whole. Here's hoping that the Bengals are not as far behind as they were last year. The early schedule is not kind, having three road games at Arizona State, Oklahoma and Weber State. The Bengals need to be ready right from the start. This week, Arizona State. Oh, well, they have to start somewhere.

I Bleed Purple
September 1st, 2009, 03:39 AM
If Weber beats Wyoming, do they move to first on your rankings, Jalmond?

Ronbo
September 1st, 2009, 05:16 AM
If they lose to Wyoming do they drop? Wyoming sucks according to everyone here.

ncbears
September 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM
I can't disagree with any of those rankings. What about you Ronbo? Agree?

grizzpaw
September 1st, 2009, 08:40 AM
i have no problem with these. i think 5-8 is a crap-shoot any one of them could be #5xnodx. weber can and in my mind SHOULD win their game!

CopperCat
September 1st, 2009, 08:44 AM
I'm not drinking the EWU koolaid until i see them play and beat a legitimate opponent.

Weber should beat Wyoming. They are good enough and they have the talent at the right positions to do it.

Michigan State should beat up MSU pretty good. They won't have their biggest offensive weapon back this year (Javon Ringer) but their size and speed are probably going to wear us down quickly.

Lots of play-up games this week. Probably have to wait another week or two before the players and pretenders materialize in the Big Sky.

Ronbo
September 1st, 2009, 09:05 AM
I can't disagree with any of those rankings. What about you Ronbo? Agree?

Yep, looks pretty good. Weber and Montana could easily change positions till we get a few games into the season and one steps up. UNC could win some games this year and gain r-e-s-p-e-c-t. Sing it Aretha. xsmiley_wix Is Portland State going to be that bad? Is NAU going to be that good? Will Sac. State be the biggest surprise? The Hornets seem to have the biggest upside potential in the 5-8 group.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM

I will actually be pulling for you to beat YO, but I don't think it is going to happen. The depth is what is going to get you and the antelope grazing on the field....er, maybe that is their cheerleaders? :D

mlbowl
September 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Pretty good...I think PSU might be too low.

UNCBears2010
September 1st, 2009, 10:51 AM
i have no problem with these. i think 5-8 is a crap-shoot any one of them could be #5xnodx. weber can and in my mind SHOULD win their game!

I think about 3-8 is a crap shoot, but it depends on how EWU reacts to the sanctions, but any way you slice it I think you could draw 4-8 out of a hat at this point.

GOKATS
September 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM
Looks pretty fair going into week 1. 3-4 weeks from now we should get a better feel as to how teams are stacking up. Thanks as always, Jalmond.xthumbsupx

eagle1
September 1st, 2009, 12:08 PM
FTG06':

I'm not drinking the EWU koolaid until i see them play and beat a legitimate opponent.

I think that there are alot of people not drinking the bobcat koolaid as well. The Eags look to expand the streak to 7 in a row over the bobcats in October. Go Eagles!!!

structgrizz
September 1st, 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #5 I think.

I've been told I'm not knowledgeable because I do not post much.

That said I think those picks look good. If the Griz stumble Weber will be right there to pick up the slack. I think the last 4 slots could end up in any order.

Nice job jalmond and thanks,

ncbears
September 1st, 2009, 12:20 PM
I think about 3-8 is a crap shoot, but it depends on how EWU reacts to the sanctions, but any way you slice it I think you could draw 4-8 out of a hat at this point.

Yup and Dominique Ceja's brother picked EWU over UNC. I wonder if he's regretting that decision now that the sanctions have been handed down.

I Bleed Purple
September 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM
If they lose to Wyoming do they drop? Wyoming sucks according to everyone here.

It's still FBS vs. FCS. I do believe Weber can win, but I don't think they're favored to win.

I believe the line is UW -5.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 1st, 2009, 02:56 PM
FTG06':

I think that there are alot of people not drinking the bobcat koolaid as well. The Eags look to expand the streak to 7 in a row over the bobcats in October. Go Eagles!!!

That's because it's not koolaid over there in Bozeman; it's Bear Piss. xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Yup and Dominique Ceja's brother picked EWU over UNC. I wonder if he's regretting that decision now that the sanctions have been handed down.

The post-season ban has nothing to do with how resoundingly EWU beats UNC during the season. The ban is only a penalty if business is taken care of on the field.

CopperCat
September 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM
FTG06':

I think that there are alot of people not drinking the bobcat koolaid as well.

That's because there isn't any to be had. If you didn't notice, MSU wasn't ranked in the preseason polls, and nobody in the mass media is talking about MSU at all.

Regardless of whether or not EWU beats MSU, or if EWU runs the table, you'll still be sitting at home watching the playoffs. Have fun with that.

GOKATS
September 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM
That's because it's not koolaid over there in Bozeman; it's Bear Piss. xthumbsupx

It's a good thing you've got a hell of a big mouth because you're going to be eating a lotta crow this fall.xnodxxnodx

technocat
September 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
I honestly don't know how this year is going to shake out. I think PSU, NAU, SSU, MSU, UM, WSU, and EWU could all make noise this year. I really don't see any definite bottom dwellers in the group and I see tons of potential on every team. I guess it will come down to injuries and momentum. I'm curious to see how the QB sitch shakes out for the MT schools, could decide a lot about how this year goes.

JALMOND
September 2nd, 2009, 12:14 AM
The first week is always the toughest because all I have to go on is potential (and trying to see into the future) Basically, in a nutshell...

1. Montana---Can't see them losing to Weber in Missoula this year
2. Weber State---Can't see them winning in Missoula this year.
Otherwise, both teams are pretty close.
3. Eastern Washington---On paper, not all that far behind the top 2, but a big question is how will the team deal with the idea of having no chance at the playoffs.
4. Montana State---Big question is quarterback and not as much returning as the top 3.
5. Northern Arizona---Pretty unsure, but they are usually in the middle of the pack during "rebuilding" years.
6. Sacramento State---Big blow losing Hilliard for the year but still enough to be competitive this year.
7. Northern Colorado---Maybe a year away, but needs to work on winning more than one game this year.
8. Portland State---Too many questions arose during summer and fall. Also a serious lack of depth due to injuries and eligibility issues.
9. Idaho State---Improved, yes, but can they get out of the cellar?

JALMOND
September 2nd, 2009, 12:21 AM

I don't know. Remains to be seen.xwhistlex

If Weber wins because they beat a good Wyoming team---maybe
If Weber wins because Wyoming looked pathetic---maybe not
If Montana somehow struggles against Western State---maybe

Then again, if Northern Colorado beats Kansas by four touchdowns, maybe this is a moot point. If Montana State completely destroys Michigan State, maybe this is a moot point.

Remains to be seen.xwhistlex

:D

I Bleed Purple
September 2nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
I don't know. Remains to be seen.xwhistlex

If Weber wins because they beat a good Wyoming team---maybe
If Weber wins because Wyoming looked pathetic---maybe not
If Montana somehow struggles against Western State---maybe

Then again, if Northern Colorado beats Kansas by four touchdowns, maybe this is a moot point. If Montana State completely destroys Michigan State, maybe this is a moot point.

Remains to be seen.xwhistlex

:D
Sure is a lot of words being used in not answering a question. xnonono2x xlolx

JALMOND
September 2nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
Sure is a lot of words being used in not answering a question. xnonono2x xlolx

Having a background in car sales helps.xthumbsupxxsmiley_wix